Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--54--The Good Samaritan  (Read 14825 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--54--The Good Samaritan
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
I must confess that as I sit here at my computer and share this thought with you just now--I feel a Trembling type of guilt! The words below are what I call " Straight Testimony " It's so evident that this has never been an integral part of my daily life and I feel like I've have missed the mark for soo long. How thankful I am that we can be forgiven and by the transformer power of the Holy Spirit , never say again, "This does not concern me."

"Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, "WE ARE NOT CHRISTIANS!" "When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin, we shall never say, This does not concern me."

Praise God for His great promise as found in 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness". God recommends and allows U-TURNS Praise His Precious Holy Name and for His Loving patience with such a one as I. Let's join together in prayer for one another each day that---"WE MAY BECOME MORE AND MORE LIKE JESUS"

Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2019, 07:10:16 AM »
"For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor. "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12."

That first sentence says it all. No exceptions. The story of the good Samaritan has always amazed me. On the one hand the coldness of the Priest and Levite who could carry on their way knowing this man will die without intervention. On the other hand there was no hesitation on the part of the Samaritan to sacrificially do what he could for this poor dying man. Not only that but to foot the total bill of whatever it would cost to nurse him back to health not knowing if he would ever see that money returned. What deep lessons are here for us today.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

May we remember how much grace we need continually to reflect Christ to those around us, living in constant union and communion with Jesus!

"'Ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness.' Galatians 6:1. By faith and prayer press back the power of the enemy. Speak words of faith and courage that will be as a healing balsam to the bruised and wounded one. Many, many, have fainted and become discouraged in the great struggle of life, when one word of kindly cheer would have strengthened them to overcome. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 504, paragraph 4}

As we experience divine grace, we can help others because Jesus lives out His life in and through us! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »

What must I do to be saved?

The lawyer said, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself." Jesus said, "Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live."   
     The lawyer was not satisfied with the position and works of the Pharisees. He had been studying the Scriptures with a desire to learn their real meaning. He had a vital interest in the matter, and had asked in sincerity, "What shall I do?" In his answer as to the requirements of the law, he passed by all the mass of ceremonial and ritualistic precepts. For these he claimed no value, but presented the two great principles on which hang all the law and the prophets. This answer, being commended by Christ, placed the Saviour on vantage ground with the rabbis. They could not condemn Him for sanctioning that which had been advanced by an expositor of the law.   
     "This do, and thou shalt live," Jesus said. He presented the law as a divine unity, and in this lesson taught that it is not possible to keep one precept, and break another; for the same principle runs through them all. Man's destiny will be determined by his obedience to the whole law. Supreme love to God and impartial love to man are the principles to be wrought out in the life
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2019, 05:45:58 PM »
"There are many who err, and who feel their shame and their folly. They are hungry for words of encouragement. They look upon their mistakes and errors, until they are driven almost to desperation. These souls we are not to neglect. If we are Christians, we shall not pass by on the other side, keeping as far as possible from the very ones who most need our help. When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin, we shall never say, This does not concern me. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God."

What a great example Jesus gave us when He was hanging on the cross enduring great physical and mental suffering, but when the dying thief reached out to Him...Immediately Jesus forgot Himself and reached out to the dying thief reassuring him that he was forgiven and would spend eternity with Him in His Kingdom.  I want and need that kind of love for others to be in my life. How about you?

Jesus promised to enable us to be His ambassadors and He said in Matthew 28:18-20 King James Version (KJV)
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
[/b][/u]

Dorine

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2019, 05:48:13 AM »
In the story of the good Samaritan, Jesus gave a picture of Himself and His mission. Man had been deceived, bruised, robbed, and ruined by Satan, and left to perish; but the Saviour had compassion on our helpless condition. He left His glory, to come to our rescue. He found us ready to die, and He undertook our case. He healed our wounds. He covered us with His robe of righteousness. He opened to us a refuge of safety, and made complete provision for us at His own charges. He died to redeem us. Pointing to His own example, He says to His followers, "These things I command you, that ye love one another." "As I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 15:17; 13:34. 

If Jesus was willing to do all this for the human race can we do any less for the soul we see in need? When Jesus resides in the heart we will see the lost through His eyes and will have self sacrificing love for them. We won't weigh the pros and cons. We will serve them with the self sacrificing love of Jesus. In the opening paragraph of this chapter it says that in the story of the good Samaritan Christ illustrated the nature of true religion. What a lesson for us today.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2019, 09:03:31 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

Jesus reached hearts by revealing the light of love in such pure, practical ways. As the experience of the good Samaritan was related, Christ was appealing to the hearts of His hearers to "go and do likewise" in seeking to bless others. Jesus longed for each to realize that only in union and communion with Him could they have the strength and capacity to minister as He did. As we receive the gift of repentance in turning from our sin to Jesus, He sends us forth on missions of mercy.

"The way to dispel darkness is to admit light. The best way to deal with error is to present truth. It is the revelation of God's love that makes manifest the deformity and sin of the heart centered in self." {The Desire of Ages, page 498, paragraph 5}

I love this simple concept. We may sometimes try to deal with error or heresy by "combating it," but Jesus dealt with error by uplifting truth such that the error had no place. As we behold Christ, the Truth, we see the true glory and ideal of life, and are empowered to live as He lived by abiding in Him through the Holy Spirit. May God bless you to go and share the light of Christ's love with those He brings in your life path today.   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2020, 05:04:57 PM »
 "The lesson is no less needed in the world today than when it fell from the lips of Jesus. Selfishness and cold formality have well-nigh extinguished the fire of love, and dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character. Many who profess His name have lost sight of the fact that Christians are to represent Christ. Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, we are not Christians."

God's counsel to us is this..."Doing, and not saying merely, is expected of the children of God. 'He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6."

The work that Christ did on this earth His followers are to do. With the power and efficiency brought by the Holy Spirit they are to carry forward His plan for the restoration of the divine image in humanity. The Lord will do great things for them when they work under the Holy Spirit’s guidance. But they must place their entire dependence on God.—Manuscript 13, June 8, 1902, “God’s People to Be Light Bearers.”

My Brothers & Sisters in Christ....HAPPY SABBATH...May the words of this poem be our prayer as we worship our Lord .

LORD LAY SOME SOUL UPON MY HEART
AND LOVE THAT SOUL THROUGH ME
AND MAY I HUMBLY DO MY PART TO WIN THAT SOUL FOR THEE.

Dorine

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2020, 05:41:27 AM »
"The way to dispel darkness is to admit light. The best way to deal with error is to present truth. It is the revelation of God's love that makes manifest the deformity and sin of the heart centered in self." 

It's very easy to try and argue our way through a debate and it may even silence the other person but that is not God's way. Silence does not mean they have been convinced of truth. Convicted maybe but it most often strengthens their own opinion and hardens their hearts against truth.

We have a wonderful example in Jesus. As we watch and listen to his gentle and compassionate dealings with all people we see in Him how we need to be. God's love working through us will penetrate the hearts of others and draw them to the Way, the Truth and the Life. Then like the lawyer they have a choice to make. It's a choice we all have had to make. Is it worth forsaking self and pride to follow Jesus?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2020, 09:31:27 AM »
Amen Dear Sister Dorine. It is our love for even those who are nasty and hurt others that will make us want to reach them with the truth.

I was impressed with the truth that our obedience to all of the law will reveal that we will make it to heaven. All of the law to the degree we know it.

"This do, and thou shalt live," Jesus said. He presented the law as a divine unity, and in this lesson taught that it is not possible to keep one precept, and break another; for the same principle runs through them all. Man's destiny will be determined by his obedience to the whole law. Supreme love to God and impartial love to man are the principles to be wrought out in the life.   

Some have trouble with this because they know that keeping the law saves no one. It is by grace we are saved. Yet, here we read that "our destiny will be determined" by obedience to the law. Both are true. Obedience earns us nothing. Salvation is a free gift given to all who make a whole heart surrender to Christ. The result of that supreme love for Jesus is the empowerment of the repentant sinner to keep the law, all of it. To violate one is to violate them all. Why? Because outward obedience is not good enough. God looks upon the heart. If we offend in one point, self remains alive and we are not abiding in Christ. "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all." James 2:10.

We may think we are keeping "the whole law," when we offend in one point, but the truth is that we are not any more than was the rich young ruler keeping the whole law when he refused to surrender all he had and all he was. Paul before his conversion thought he was "blameless" concerning the law.
"Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, [of] the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless." Philippians 3:4-6.
Yet, he was a murderer.

It is the heart that Jesus wants, the whole heart. If we hold anything back, then we are playing a game with God. But, that does not mean we have to continue playing make believe. We can spend time learning of God and it will change our hard selfish hearts. It is a promise. A new heart He will give us if we will allow His grace to enter our hearts. By beholding His grace, His glory, we shall be transformed into His image (2 Cor. 3:18).
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2020, 01:40:33 PM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard!!

God helps us in so many ways. Let’s share what He’s done to help others in and through Christ!!

“Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God.” {The Desire of Ages, page 504, paragraph 4}

Beacon

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 07:26:22 PM »
"Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, "WE ARE NOT CHRISTIANS!" "When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin, we shall never say,"This does not concern me."

Praise God for His great promise as found in 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness". God recommends and allows U-TURNS Praise His Precious Holy Name and for His Loving patience with such a one as I. Let's join together in prayer for one another each day that---"WE MAY BECOME MORE AND MORE LIKE JESUS"

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2020, 04:52:18 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Praise the Lord for such a Savior as Jesus, who willingly fills us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we surrender the whole heart to Him and go forth to bring the light of His love to those around us!

"'Ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness.' Galatians 6:1. By faith and prayer press back the power of the enemy. Speak words of faith and courage that will be as a healing balsam to the bruised and wounded one. Many, many, have fainted and become discouraged in the great struggle of life, when one word of kindly cheer would have strengthened them to overcome. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 504, paragraph 4}     

Let us help others by relating how Jesus has helped us. As we experience the fulfillment of the promise: "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death" (Revelation 12:11), many hearts that were discouraged or felt their case was hopeless will hear of what Jesus has done for us, and they also may find complete restoration through beholding Christ's infinite loveliness and surrendering fully to Him! What a blessed mission we have to share the love of Jesus with others today as He guides us step by step!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2020, 04:47:12 AM »
What is love? This is apparently a common search query online, and many have never known or experienced true love. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). The love that we see in God giving His Son to die for us, and the love that comes into our hearts as we surrender completely to Jesus that leads us to love others--that love is from God, for "God is love" (1 John 4:8).

"'This do, and thou shalt live,' Jesus said. He presented the law as a divine unity, and in this lesson taught that it is not possible to keep one precept, and break another; for the same principle runs through them all. Man's destiny will be determined by his obedience to the whole law. Supreme love to God and impartial love to man are the principles to be wrought out in the life." {The Desire of Ages, page 498, paragraph 1}   

We cannot originate love or perpetuate it except as we allow Christ to live in us, "the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27). Only as Jesus fills us with His divine presence can it be true that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing. When the love of Christ fills and constrains us, He prompts us what to do and leads us to obey the Ten Commandments in how we love God and others. May we simply allow Christ's love to flow in and through us today!

Dorine

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2020, 06:06:18 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. Love....everyone wants it, everyone needs it, everyone talks about it but few seem to find it. Our reading today puts it into perspective and directs us to the real and only source of love and what it will look like in our lives.

..."All this is but a fulfillment of the principle of the law,--the principle that is illustrated in the story of the good Samaritan, and made manifest in the life of Jesus. His character reveals the true significance of the law, and shows what is meant by loving our neighbor as ourselves. And when the children of God manifest mercy, kindness, and love toward all men, they also are witnessing to the character of the statutes of heaven. They are bearing testimony to the fact that "the law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7. And whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere. For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor. "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2020, 04:33:00 AM »
We can see Jesus in the true story of the good Samaritan. As Jesus comes to live in our hearts today as we surrender fully to Him, we can let Him live out His merciful, healing life to bless all those around us!

"In the story of the good Samaritan, Christ illustrates the nature of true religion. He shows that it consists not in systems, creeds, or rites, but in the performance of loving deeds, in bringing the greatest good to others, in genuine goodness." {The Desire of Ages, page 497, paragraph 1}

When the loveliness of Jesus is manifest through us, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life without one missing as we not only live in obedience to the law of love, but let God give us divine appointments with those who are in need of help wherever we find them in life's path.

Beacon

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2020, 07:29:06 AM »
"The lesson is no less needed in the world today than when it fell from the lips of Jesus. Selfishness and cold formality have well-nigh extinguished the fire of love, and dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character..

Many who profess His name have lost sight of the fact that Christians are to represent Christ. Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be...

"Then whatever our profession, we are not Christians."

God's counsel to us is this..."Doing, and not saying merely, is expected of the children of God. 'He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6."

'The work that Christ did on this earth His followers are to do."

"LORD LAY SOME SOUL UPON MY HEART AND LOVE THAT SOUL THROUGH ME AND MAY I HUMBLY DO MY PART TO WIN THAT SOUL FOR THEE."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2020, 08:11:13 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. When we love Jesus with the whole heart, we will love our neighbor and want to help him.

Amen Brother Beacon. If we do not love our neighbor, then we do not love God with the whole heart and therefore are not truly a Christian at that moment. When we love God with all we are and all we have, then we are truly living the name we profess.

The lawyer said, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself." Jesus said, "Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live."   
     The lawyer was not satisfied with the position and works of the Pharisees. He had been studying the Scriptures with a desire to learn their real meaning. He had a vital interest in the matter, and had asked in sincerity, "What shall I do?" In his answer as to the requirements of the law, he passed by all the mass of ceremonial and ritualistic precepts. For these he claimed no value, but presented the two great principles on which hang all the law and the prophets. This answer, being commended by Christ, placed the Saviour on vantage ground with the rabbis. They could not condemn Him for sanctioning that which had been advanced by an expositor of the law.   

Dorine

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2020, 05:32:35 AM »
"When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin, we shall never say, This does not concern me.      
"Ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness." Galatians 6:1. By faith and prayer press back the power of the enemy. Speak words of faith and courage that will be as a healing balsam to the bruised and wounded one. Many, many, have fainted and become discouraged in the great struggle of life, when one word of kindly cheer would have strengthened them to overcome. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God."

Where are these needy ones we may ask. They are everywhere. Some in prison, some on the streets, some in the grocery line, some who have been left alone through the death of a loved one, some in our own family circle. All are weighed down with burdens that only Christ can carry.  Let us remember that and be ready with a smile, an encouraging word and be ready to step in and go the extra mile to help someone. It may seem difficult at first but as we 'do' what we know is right the Lord is there to help us and it will become second nature because it will be Christ's love shining through us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2020, 09:03:20 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine!  Who of us would not be moved by this truth. How many have we passed by who are in need. Two came to mind this morning as I read. One is a lady that I have seen carrying her sleeping bag and other stuff walking around town. Not sure what to do, but it is not good to do nothing. She is probably a victim of drugs, but who knows if not concerned enough to at least talk with her.

All heaven watched to see if the hearts of these men would be touched with pity for human woe. The Saviour was the One who had instructed the Hebrews in the wilderness; from the pillar of cloud and of fire He had taught a very different lesson from that which the people were now receiving from their priests and teachers.

So it is today.

The lesson is no less needed in the world today than when it fell from the lips of Jesus. Selfishness and cold formality have well-nigh extinguished the fire of love, and dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character. Many who profess His name have lost sight of the fact that Christians are to represent Christ. Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, we are not Christians.....

His character reveals the true significance of the law, and shows what is meant by loving our neighbor as ourselves. And when the children of God manifest mercy, kindness, and love toward all men, they also are witnessing to the character of the statutes of heaven. They are bearing testimony to the fact that "the law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7. And whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere. For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor. "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12.