Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--54--The Good Samaritan  (Read 14828 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--54--The Good Samaritan
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 06:19:53 AM »
Christ has linked His interest with that of humanity, and He asks us to become one with Him for the saving of humanity. "Freely ye have received," He says, "freely give." Matthew 10:8. Sin is the greatest of all evils, and it is ours to pity and help the sinner. There are many who err, and who feel their shame and their folly. They are hungry for words of encouragement. They look upon their mistakes and errors, until they are driven almost to desperation. These souls we are not to neglect. If we are Christians, we shall not pass by on the other side, keeping as far as possible from the very ones who most need our help. When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin, we shall never say, This does not concern me.

Father in heaven, it's impossible to misunderstand what this is saying. You have made it so plain. Forgive me for any neglect of others that I may be guilty of and make me more sensitive to the needs of others. Cleanse and renew my heart today and make me a doer of your word. Amen.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 06:29:20 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine. It is indeed impossible to not understand what Jesus has said. And, in order to do this, we must be one with Jesus, we must have our hearts cleansed daily if we want to love others as Jesus loves us. Let us walk in the Spirit today that we might be His witnesses in a world soon to perish.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean.  God's love for us which has healed us, is to be the spring in our hearts that causes us to help others wherein we have have been comforted. It it the principle which brings about a transformation of character that enables us to love others who are unlovable otherwise.

In the story of the good Samaritan, Jesus gave a picture of Himself and His mission. Man had been deceived, bruised, robbed, and ruined by Satan, and left to perish; but the Saviour had compassion on our helpless condition. He left His glory, to come to our rescue. He found us ready to die, and He undertook our case. He healed our wounds. He covered us with His robe of righteousness. He opened to us a refuge of safety, and made complete provision for us at His own charges. He died to redeem us. Pointing to His own example, He says to His followers, "These things I command you, that ye love one another." "As I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 15:17; 13:34.   

The question that comes to mind when we read this is "how can I love another in such a manner?" We need His love in our hearts first. Then when we love Him supremely because He has first loved us while we were yet sinning (grace), He writes His law upon our hearts. The "living water" flows through us to others.

The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor....."if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 06:06:43 AM »
When we see His love for us, grace, we love Him in return. It is grace that converts sinner into saint. The we will empowered to keep the law to the degree we know it. We will not break any of the law that we know to be true. If we offend in one point, we offend in all because self remains alive and all we do is tainted with self.

The lawyer said, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself." Jesus said, "Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live."   
     The lawyer was not satisfied with the position and works of the Pharisees. He had been studying the Scriptures with a desire to learn their real meaning. He had a vital interest in the matter, and had asked in sincerity, "What shall I do?" In his answer as to the requirements of the law, he passed by all the mass of ceremonial and ritualistic precepts. For these he claimed no value, but presented the two great principles on which hang all the law and the prophets. This answer, being commended by Christ, placed the Saviour on vantage ground with the rabbis. They could not condemn Him for sanctioning that which had been advanced by an expositor of the law.   
     "This do, and thou shalt live," Jesus said. He presented the law as a divine unity, and in this lesson taught that it is not possible to keep one precept, and break another; for the same principle runs through them all. Man's destiny will be determined by his obedience to the whole law. Supreme love to God and impartial love to man are the principles to be wrought out in the life.   

Those who are reading along with us, may find it interesting to note that in every chapter we read, we find the same lesson being taught. The love of Jesus transforms all who will behold it. The great deception is that we have life when we sin, but we are continually reading that if we will spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes, we shall be converted, changed into His character. The truth is inescapable. We must be born again of the Spirit if we want to have eternal life. Salvation is dependent upon man being transformed into His image from glory to glory by the Spirit. "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
Amen, Richard! Jesus' exceeding loveliness of character is so powerful in its revelation, and His love in the soul impels us forward to go and do as He did.

Last night, I had a very amazing experience--and it fits perfectly experientially with today's reading.

There are friends—brothers—all around us just waiting to be known, loved and helped. Last night on my way back from Hancock to Ironwood, I saw two young men who needed a ride and the resultant prayer we had together and sharing God’s amazing grace were a powerful blessing! They also accepted copies of Steps to Christ and The Great Controversy. I’m thankful to have made two new friends—Steven and Jacob—and then drop them off at the Comfort Inn. It providentially turns out this was the very inn I stayed at exactly three years ago when I first was introduced as the new pastor to the Bessemer and Greenland Seventh-day Adventist Churches. I love how God leads!

"Thus the question, 'Who is my neighbor?' is forever answered. Christ has shown that our neighbor does not mean merely one of the church or faith to which we belong. It has no reference to race, color, or class distinction. Our neighbor is every person who needs our help. Our neighbor is every soul who is wounded and bruised by the adversary. Our neighbor is everyone who is the property of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 503, paragraph 5}

"In the story of the good Samaritan, Jesus gave a picture of Himself and His mission. Man had been deceived, bruised, robbed, and ruined by Satan, and left to perish; but the Saviour had compassion on our helpless condition. He left His glory, to come to our rescue. He found us ready to die, and He undertook our case. He healed our wounds. He covered us with His robe of righteousness. He opened to us a refuge of safety, and made complete provision for us at His own charges. He died to redeem us. Pointing to His own example, He says to His followers, 'These things I command you, that ye love one another.' 'As I have loved you, that ye also love one another.' John 15:17; 13:34." {The Desire of Ages, page 503, paragraph 6}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 05:51:27 AM »
For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor.

This statement though read many times in the past hit me with new force this morning. I've always understood that when you truly love God with all your heart that you will also love your brethren and even your enemies but I never looked at it in the reverse direction that how you treat others (including enemies) declares to the world what your relationship with God is like. I pray this morning that all reading will surrender our hearts to God and thus pave the way to show our brethren how much we love them.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 08:18:12 AM »
Amen, Jim! Love is an active principle of the life--it is Christ in the heart by faith--and when His love is in our hearts it will flow out to all around us even as we see manifest in Christ. Christ will live out His life in us as we abide in Him!

"In the story of the good Samaritan, Christ illustrates the nature of true religion. He shows that it consists not in systems, creeds, or rites, but in the performance of loving deeds, in bringing the greatest good to others, in genuine goodness." {The Desire of Ages, page 497, paragraph 1}

I was deeply impressed by how true religion is about "bringing the greatest good to others." This thought reveals what true character and stewardship is all about. All we have and are is to be freely devoted to God's service and to bless others so the greatest good is brought about. Only with the Holy Spirit living in us by faith can we have wisdom to know how to live this way, and to respond to every impulse and faculty of the divine nature in living and walking even as Christ walked. All of the fruits of the Spirit will be revealed in the life of one truly converted, and every opportunity to do the will of God will be readily entered into as the Holy Spirit leads. May we be sensitive to those around us today so God will work through us to bless them! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 08:40:12 AM »
How inspiring to meet together and share our thoughts from the days reading. Today's chapter hits right at the heart of true Christianity.

"Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, we are not Christians."

"When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin, we shall never say, This does not concern me."

Serious thoughts for us to prayerfully consider. What does Christ see when He looks into the secret places of my heart?

Loving Father, I give you my heart once again to search and cleanse. Purify my motives and give me a heart that loves others and brings glory to your name. Amen.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 05:27:23 AM »
Again Jesus refused to be drawn into controversy. He did not denounce the bigotry of those who were watching to condemn Him. But by a simple story He held up before His hearers such a picture of the outflowing of heaven-born love as touched all hearts, and drew from the lawyer a confession of the truth.   
     The way to dispel darkness is to admit light. The best way to deal with error is to present truth. It is the revelation of God's love that makes manifest the deformity and sin of the heart centered in self.

This is always a good reminder for me that not every question and objection has to be dealt with. Just keep placing the truth out there. It's so easy to get drawn off course when we try to deal with every argument. Soon we find that we aren't even talking about the original subject. It's good to know and realize that we don't have to play the role of the Holy Spirit.   
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 05:58:57 AM »
Thank you, Jim, for sharing this encouraging post! I heartily say, "Amen!" When we keep presenting truth, the error does not fit. Recently I heard a story on a Seventh-day Adventist local Radio Station (Strong Tower Radio in Michigan) about a young man who was struggling with same-sex attraction and was not a Christian, but when he heard about how God originally made humanity male and female, and that it is impossible for two men to procreate children, the whole confusion was dropped in his mind and he went on to follow God's plan for his life from the word of God. It is encouraging to see how effective God's methods are in dealing with error and sin, because Jesus takes the place of the darkness of error and gives us hope!

I, too, was blessed by the promise below:

"The way to dispel darkness is to admit light. The best way to deal with error is to present truth. It is the revelation of God's love that makes manifest the deformity and sin of the heart centered in self." {The Desire of Ages, page 498, paragraph 5}   

Dorine

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2018, 06:25:51 AM »
All this is but a fulfillment of the principle of the law,--the principle that is illustrated in the story of the good Samaritan, and made manifest in the life of Jesus. His character reveals the true significance of the law, and shows what is meant by loving our neighbor as ourselves. And when the children of God manifest mercy, kindness, and love toward all men, they also are witnessing to the character of the statutes of heaven. They are bearing testimony to the fact that "the law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7. And whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere. For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor. "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12.

I am so thankful for God's plain words. Some may twist it or ignore it but it is straight talk to me personally. There are situations we often face that have the potential to drain us emotionally, physically and even financially. We can find all sorts of reasons to not get involved.

I love God's timing because this reading has come at a time when I need it most. I am facing a situation that is going to take much of my energy and time to help someone deal with a heartbreaking experience. God has given me a second chance because several years ago this same person came across my path and because I  was working and had less time then I do now I kept her at arms length and made excuses. I feel so  ashamed.  I did not know the urgency at that time. Now it has become desperate. I rejoice this morning that God is allowing me to be there to listen, comfort and pray with her whenever she needs it. With Jesus in the heart life is a  wonderful adventure. Exhausting sometimes but such a blessing.

Amen Jim and Pastor Sean.  Your posts came in as I was posting. I am still learning the lesson of not getting caught up in trying to answer everyone's questions. They distract from the truth.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
Amen, amen, and amen! Jesus is the Truth! We love the Truth. There is no peace in a lie, but in the truth we find great peace.

In today's reading we again find God's servant explaining the gospel of grace. We are given living examples of how we are to live, and examples of how Satan had deceived God's chosen ones so that they thought they were rich and increases with goods, but knew not they were miserable, wretched, poor, blind, and naked.

The most important question we must ask and answer was the subject of our reading. "As Christ was teaching the people, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted Him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" With breathless attention the large congregation awaited the answer.'"

Why is this so important to us today, and to the Jews in Christ's day? Because Satan has stolen a march on God's church. Many have been deceived as were the Jews. What shall I do to gain eternal life (salvation)?  The answer is always the same, we need Jesus. Well then how do I get Jesus? He is calling to all of us. He wants the whole heart, not part of it. How do I give Him my heart? Love begets love. We will not love someone we do not know. Do I know Jesus? Do I trust Jesus with all I have and all I am? If not, then what must I do?

Listen to the Words of Jesus. Man does not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds our of the mouth of God. If we want physical life, we eat bread. If we want spiritual life (salvation), we must feed upon Jesus. The Word was made flesh. Therefore we go to the Word to know Jesus. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Jesus. This is how we fall in love with Him. By beholding Him we are transformed in our very nature, we become partakers of His divine nature. In today's reading we find the truth.

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself." Jesus said, "Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live."   

We also find why it is that we love Him with the whole heart. And this we will do if we will spend time with Him in getting to know Him better. For love begets love. We love Him because He first loved us while we were yet sinners.

In the story of the good Samaritan, Jesus gave a picture of Himself and His mission. Man had been deceived, bruised, robbed, and ruined by Satan, and left to perish; but the Saviour had compassion on our helpless condition. He left His glory, to come to our rescue. He found us ready to die, and He undertook our case. He healed our wounds. He covered us with His robe of righteousness. He opened to us a refuge of safety, and made complete provision for us at His own charges. He died to redeem us. Pointing to His own example, He says to His followers, "These things I command you, that ye love one another." "As I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 15:17; 13:34.   

But, in order to have this love for others, we must first love the Lord our God with all the heart.

Beacon

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
"In the story of the good Samaritan, Jesus gave a picture of Himself and His mission. Man had been deceived, bruised, robbed, and ruined by Satan, and left to perish; but the Saviour had compassion on our helpless condition. He left His glory, to come to our rescue. He found us ready to die, and He undertook our case. He healed our wounds. He covered us with His robe of righteousness. He opened to us a refuge of safety, and made complete provision for us at His own charges. He died to redeem us. Pointing to His own example, He says to His followers, "These things I command you, that ye love one another." "As I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 15:17; 13:34."

We should all be reminded that a "Command" is not something that is optional!

"The lawyer's question to Jesus had been, "What shall I do?" And Jesus, recognizing love to God and man as the sum of righteousness, had said, "This do, and thou shalt live." The Samaritan had obeyed the dictates of a kind and loving heart, and in this had proved himself a doer of the law. Christ bade the lawyer, "Go, and do thou likewise." Doing, and not saying merely, is expected of the children of God. "He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6.

Perhaps this would be a good time to repeat the prayer of David when he had sinned as it says in Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

The lesson is no less needed in the world today than when it fell from the lips of Jesus. Selfishness and cold formality have well-nigh extinguished the fire of love, and dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character. Many who profess His name have lost sight of the fact that Christians are to represent Christ. Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, we are not Christians

Brothers & Sister in Christ....My prayer is that we all may be willing to do a deep introspection of our personal relationship with Jesus and determine by His grace not to be "hearers only---but to also be "doers " How awful it would be to hear Jesus say..."Depart from me....I never knew you"!!. I want to be able to hear Him say..." Well done thou good and faithful servant." How about you?

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 04:43:13 AM »
As we meet our neighbors today--every soul for who Christ has died--let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus and allow His heavenly love to flow through us to help those around us heavenward. Let us pray for divine appointments, and be glad when they come to us, for the purest joy springs from the deepest humiliation, and the joy of seeing souls redeemed!! Christianity that flows from the heart renewed by grace means doing what is kind and good, because of the love Christ has first shown to us! "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12).

"Our neighbor is every person who needs our help. Our neighbor is every soul who is wounded and bruised by the adversary. Our neighbor is everyone who is the property of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 503, paragraph 5}

Let us be truly good neighbors to those around us today, and shed the light of a cheerful piety as we are on our way to heaven by His divine grace as we continually yield to its power to make and keep our hearts tender and renewed in the image of His loveliness! While we can do no good thing apart from Christ, when we surrender entirely to Him, He gives us a new heart and a new mind imbued with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing, and we shall delight to do His will!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 05:35:37 AM »
Amen pastor Sean... there are many around us needing help and a true example of what it means to be a Christian.

In the story of the good Samaritan, Christ illustrates the nature of true religion. He shows that it consists not in systems, creeds, or rites, but in the performance of loving deeds, in bringing the greatest good to others, in genuine goodness.

A lot of times the first sentence/paragraph often gets over looked. This opening reminded me of what James said...

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 05:53:17 AM »
"He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6.         
The lesson is no less needed in the world today than when it fell from the lips of Jesus. Selfishness and cold formality have well-nigh extinguished the fire of love, and dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character. Many who profess His name have lost sight of the fact that Christians are to represent Christ. Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, we are not Christians."

Somber words to meditate on today. May we be sensitive to the needs of others as we move through this day. Quoting from Pastor Seans post;.... Our neighbor is every person who needs our help. Our neighbor is every soul who is wounded and bruised by the adversary. Our neighbor is everyone who is the property of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 503, paragraph 5}

Remove the blinders from our eyes Lord that we may be led to those that need our help today.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 07:36:55 AM »
When all is said and done, the love of God and of man are the two commandments upon which hang all of the law. To love God with all of the heart and to love our neighbor as ourselves is the true religion of our faith. Many look at the law of God as being legalistic, but they err in not seeing that love to God and man is summed up in the ten commandments. If we love God and man, then we cannot break any one of these commandments. They are a transcript of not only God's character, but of the character of all who are truly converted and educated in the religion of the Israelites and Christians. If we love God with the whole heart, we shall love our neighbor. The only power that can give us this love for others is the love of God.

Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God.   
     All this is but a fulfillment of the principle of the law,--the principle that is illustrated in the story of the good Samaritan, and made manifest in the life of Jesus. His character reveals the true significance of the law, and shows what is meant by loving our neighbor as ourselves. And when the children of God manifest mercy, kindness, and love toward all men, they also are witnessing to the character of the statutes of heaven. They are bearing testimony to the fact that "the law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7. And whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere. For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor. "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12

Beacon

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »
"By faith and prayer press back the power of the enemy. Speak words of faith and courage that will be as a healing balsam to the bruised and wounded one. Many, many, have fainted and become discouraged in the great struggle of life, when one word of kindly cheer would have strengthened them to overcome. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God. All this is but a fulfillment of the principle of the law,--the principle that is illustrated in the story of the good Samaritan, and made manifest in the life of Jesus. His character reveals the true significance of the law, and shows what is meant by loving our neighbor as ourselves."

"When saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 29:35"

"When the children of God manifest mercy, kindness, and love toward all men, they also are witnessing to the character of the statutes of heaven. They are bearing testimony to the fact that "the law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7. and whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere. For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor. "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 21 "
Let us turn our eyes upon Jesus - Look full in His wonderful face and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the Light of His Glory and Grace, and we be filled with a strong desire to pass it on to others so they can know the joy we have in Jesus who is the ONLY guide to all our earthly joys & sorrows.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 05:57:09 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  We need to live for Jesus moment by moment in order to love others as Jesus loves us. After all, what is a Christian? Do we not minister to others, as Jesus ministers to us? If not, then what are we?

The lawyer's question to Jesus had been, "What shall I do?" And Jesus, recognizing love to God and man as the sum of righteousness, had said, "This do, and thou shalt live." The Samaritan had obeyed the dictates of a kind and loving heart, and in this had proved himself a doer of the law. Christ bade the lawyer, "Go, and do thou likewise." Doing, and not saying merely, is expected of the children of God. "He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6.   
     The lesson is no less needed in the world today than when it fell from the lips of Jesus. Selfishness and cold formality have well-nigh extinguished the fire of love, and dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character. Many who profess His name have lost sight of the fact that Christians are to represent Christ. Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, we are not Christians.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »
Amen, Brothers Beacon and Richard!

The simplicity of the gospel shines forth as we see how love in the heart leads to doing all we can by God's grace to help others, even as Jesus has helped us who were in infinite need of His grace and salvation!

"In the story of the good Samaritan, Christ illustrates the nature of true religion. He shows that it consists not in systems, creeds, or rites, but in the performance of loving deeds, in bringing the greatest good to others, in genuine goodness." {The Desire of Ages, page 491, paragraph 1}

I am thankful for this beautiful spring day as I realize Jesus invites us to merge ourselves in Him so His love will spring forth spontaneously to others!