Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--54--The Good Samaritan  (Read 14826 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--54--The Good Samaritan
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
"Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession...

"We are not Christians."

"And whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere. For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor.

"If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12.

Perhaps today would be a good day for personal introspection like Paul says in...
2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Richard, and Brother Beacon!

With so many errors and poor examples in the world because of sin, what is the true solution?

"The way to dispel darkness is to admit light. The best way to deal with error is to present truth. It is the revelation of God's love that makes manifest the deformity and sin of the heart centered in self." {The Desire of Ages, page 498, paragraph 5}

Selfishness is death. Christ came to break the power of selfishness by manifesting self-sacrificing love, the true character of God, and show us the path of true happiness which is the result of holiness. To break sin's power and pay the penalty for our sins, Jesus died for us at Calvary. Now He is in the most holy place of the heavenly sanctuary ministering to blot out even the record of the confessed and forsaken sin of His people, as He is preparing His people to stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator by living His character in this world consistently. When we live by faith on the Son of God, the Holy Spirit lives in the converted heart that is cleansed by the blood of Jesus and renewed by grace so that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life without one missing! The effect of such union and communion with God is that we will gladly obey the law of love and seek and save the souls around us that need Jesus. Let us go forth today to bless others by looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2021, 07:05:47 AM »
"All this is but a fulfillment of the principle of the law,--the principle that is illustrated in the story of the good Samaritan, and made manifest in the life of Jesus. His character reveals the true significance of the law, and shows what is meant by loving our neighbor as ourselves. And when the children of God manifest mercy, kindness, and love toward all men, they also are witnessing to the character of the statutes of heaven. They are bearing testimony to the fact that "the law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7. And whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere. For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor. "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12.

This is not something we should work for. It should be who we are. That's what Jesus does in our lives when we give all to Him. He takes us as we are and transforms us into loving, caring, compassionate Christians that are ever ready to see the needs of others and do what we can to give the help they need. Sacrifice is involved but what happiness it brings to see others lives made more pleasant because we did not pass by on the other side.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2021, 07:25:14 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine!  Good works can save no one. We must be converted, then we will be doers of the Word. It is not something we are to work for, but something we do when we abide in Christ and He in us.

The lawyer's question to Jesus had been, "What shall I do?" And Jesus, recognizing love to God and man as the sum of righteousness, had said, "This do, and thou shalt live." The Samaritan had obeyed the dictates of a kind and loving heart, and in this had proved himself a doer of the law. Christ bade the lawyer, "Go, and do thou likewise." Doing, and not saying merely, is expected of the children of God. "He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6.   
     The lesson is no less needed in the world today than when it fell from the lips of Jesus. Selfishness and cold formality have well-nigh extinguished the fire of love, and dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character. Many who profess His name have lost sight of the fact that Christians are to represent Christ. Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, we are not Christians.   
     Christ has linked His interest with that of humanity, and He asks us to become one with Him for the saving of humanity. "Freely ye have received," He says, "freely give." Matthew 10:8. Sin is the greatest of all evils.....

When we have "dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character," then our character is not fragrant with good works no matter how hard we try. Read Romans seven for Paul's explanation of the evil within that cannot be overcome without a full heart surrender. Then we shall be one with Christ, partakers of His divine nature. " Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2021, 07:38:12 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard; The good works come out of love from a transformed life which is showing forth the Fruit of the Spirit within us.

"This do, and thou shalt live," Jesus said. He presented the law as a divine unity, and in this lesson taught that it is not possible to keep one precept, and break another; for the same principle runs through them all. Man's destiny will be determined by his obedience to the whole law. Supreme love to God and impartial love to man are the principles to be wrought out in the life.  

The law is to become a part of our every day life being implanted within us and then God's transforming power can work within us, as we surrender ourselves to Him. God is love, the law shows us his character, and as we walk the path of Sanctification, the law should shine forth out of us more and more in our lives as a witness to the love of Jesus as our character's change to be more and more like His.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Richard, and Brother Philip!

The light of truth and love from God is essential to transform the life. When Christ is lifted up in life and character, then the way He lived will be wrought out in us, for He abides in us to produce the same fruits of the Spirit without one missing accompanied  glad obedience to the law of God!

"The way to dispel darkness is to admit light. The best way to deal with error is to present truth. It is the revelation of God's love that makes manifest the deformity and sin of the heart centered in self." {The Desire of Ages, page 498, paragraph 5}   

Selfishness is death, and Jesus came to die for us at Calvary to break the power of self so that as we surrender fully to Him, we can live to bless others by having Him abide in us!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2021, 10:21:00 AM »
The lesson is no less needed in the world today than when it fell from the lips of Jesus. Selfishness and cold formality have well-nigh extinguished the fire of love, and dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character. Many who profess His name have lost sight of the fact that...

"Christians are to represent Christ."

"Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, we are not Christians"   

Christ has linked His interest with that of humanity, and He asks us to become one with Him for the saving of humanity.

"Freely ye have received," He says, "freely give."
Matthew 10:8

Doing, and not saying merely, is expected of the children of God.

"He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6

By God's Grace & Power may we all be embued with Spirit of Love toward our fellow man and be willing to help and supprt as needed.

Beacon

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2021, 06:06:21 AM »
 "Many, many, have fainted and become discouraged in the great struggle of life, when one word of kindly cheer would have strengthened them to overcome. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God."

Jesus said in Matthew 11:28. "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Jesus is our example of how to reach our fellow mankind with the Good News of salvation is He not? So looking unto Jesus we see that this work He would have us do for Him to reach others is inclusive of both the Spiritual and the Psychical and we are instructed to provide to the best of our ability the needs of both, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

The question is --- Are we doing that? and if not why not?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2021, 09:08:13 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Let us be all in to follow Jesus and bless others!

Jesus set us a worthy example when the question arose as to "Who is my neighbor?" He did not get into a controversy, but revealed love in a real occurrence (the story of the good Samaritan) and revealed what matters to God! When our hearts are truly converted, we receive a new heart and mind from Jesus, manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, and will avoid being drawn into a controversy. We will seek to let Jesus use us to reach hearts!

"Again Jesus refused to be drawn into controversy. He did not denounce the bigotry of those who were watching to condemn Him. But by a simple story He held up before His hearers such a picture of the outflowing of heaven-born love as touched all hearts, and drew from the lawyer a confession of the truth." {The Desire of Ages, page 498, paragraph 4}

When we realize we are on earth not to get into debates but to cooperate with the Holy Spirit in reaching hearts, we will find many precious opportunities for sharing the truth in love in a way that those whose hearts are open may be favorably impressed to make decisions for Christ and be ready to meet Him when He returns. May you choose to follow His path of selfless love today as He leads you by the Holy Spirit as you submit to Him moment-by-moment!

Dorine

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2021, 04:26:37 AM »
"In the story of the good Samaritan, Jesus gave a picture of Himself and His mission. Man had been deceived, bruised, robbed, and ruined by Satan, and left to perish; but the Saviour had compassion on our helpless condition. He left His glory, to come to our rescue. He found us ready to die, and He undertook our case. He healed our wounds. He covered us with His robe of righteousness. He opened to us a refuge of safety, and made complete provision for us at His own charges. He died to redeem us. Pointing to His own example, He says to His followers, "These things I command you, that ye love one another." "As I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 15:17; 13:34.   

Happy Sabbath to all. Doesn't this description of Jesus and His mission fill your heart with love and gratitude and spur you on with urgency to continue His mission? I want to love like He loves. I want my heart to burn with the desire to see souls saved in His kingdom. I want a heart of pure motives towards those that despise me and speak evil of me. That's what Jesus does for us when we continually submit our lives to Him. Loving the unloving becomes a joy as we experience the change in our own hearts and the change he is bringing about for those we are working and praying for. May we continually work for the benefit of others as though we were doing it for Jesus Himself because that is how He looks at it.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2021, 06:52:07 AM »
"Ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness." Galatians 6:1. By faith and prayer press back the power of the enemy."

"Speak words of faith and courage that will be as a healing balsam to the bruised and wounded one."

"Many, many, have fainted and become discouraged in the great struggle of life, when one word of kindly cheer would have strengthened them to overcome. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God."

The Bible says in Luke 6:31 "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise."

This is not a "SUGGESTION" - It's a command of God to all who claim to be His children - Are we "WILLING" to say and to do His bidding?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2021, 07:01:52 AM »
Praise the Lord, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!

Happy Sabbath! Let us look to Jesus and live and allow the light of His love to shine through us so the darkness of sin and unbelief are dispelled by His healing presence!

Selfishness is death, and Jesus defeated selfishness when He died for us at the cross. Now as we by faith can look to Him in the sanctuary in heaven, we can rejoice to follow where He leads in the selfless path of life and life more abundantly to bless others! All of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives without one missing as long as we have Jesus abiding on the throne of our hearts in true surrender and follow in true obedience by grace through faith! Jesus is preparing us for heaven!!

Beacon

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2021, 08:11:29 PM »
I have posted these words before, but as I read them again they just hit me with the same conviction.

"Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession...

"We are not Christians."

"The spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor."

"If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12.

Perhaps today would be a good day for personal introspection like Paul says in...2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Have Thine own way, Lord,
  Have Thine own way;
Thou art the Potter,
  I am the clay.
Mould me and make me
  After Thy will,
While I am waiting,
  Yielded and still.
  Have Thine own way;
Search me and try me,
  Master, today.
Whiter than snow, Lord,
  Wash me just now,
As in Thy presence
  Humbly I bow.
  Have Thine own way;
Wounded and weary,
  Help me, I pray.
Power, all power,
  Surely is Thine,
Touch me and heal me,
  Savior divine.
  Have Thine own way;
Hold o’er my being
  Absolute sway.
Fill with Thy Spirit
  Till all shall see
Christ only, always,
  Living in me.

Lyrics:Adelaide Addison Pollard (1862-1934)
Music:George Coles Stebbins (1846-1945)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2021, 08:44:02 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! If we are in any way unchristlike or not Christians, thankfully we can go to Jesus to be converted afresh and "die daily" to self! Only Christ can produce this miracle in us, but our part is to look to Him, believe with the whole heart, and surrender all to Him!!

Praise the Lord for the opportunity to let Christ work in and through us by His grace!

"Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 505, paragraph 0} 

When Christ lives in our hearts, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives without one missing as we affectionately obey His law from a heart renewed by the Holy Spirit to go forth to bless others!

Dorine

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2021, 08:49:19 AM »
"Christ has linked His interest with that of humanity, and He asks us to become one with Him for the saving of humanity. "Freely ye have received," He says, "freely give." Matthew 10:8. Sin is the greatest of all evils, and it is ours to pity and help the sinner. There are many who err, and who feel their shame and their folly. They are hungry for words of encouragement. They look upon their mistakes and errors, until they are driven almost to desperation. These souls we are not to neglect. If we are Christians, we shall not pass by on the other side, keeping as far as possible from the very ones who most need our help. When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin, we shall never say, This does not concern me."

May God help us to be ready at all times to be conscious of those who are hurting and in need of uplifting to Jesus. It is very easy to be so consumed with our own agenda's that we do not even notice when someone is struggling.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2021, 09:23:15 AM »
As I read the comments posted this morning, they were those which I wanted to share also. But, I had to leave them to post what I deemed God would have me share.

Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God.   
     All this is but a fulfillment of the principle of the law,--the principle that is illustrated in the story of the good Samaritan, and made manifest in the life of Jesus. His character reveals the true significance of the law, and shows what is meant by loving our neighbor as ourselves. And when the children of God manifest mercy, kindness, and love toward all men, they also are witnessing to the character of the statutes of heaven. They are bearing testimony to the fact that "the law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7. And whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere. For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor. "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12. 

Has God comforted us? Remember all of the times wherein God comforted you? It is true that many times I have forgotten, but there are many that I remember. Then we are in a position to comfort others wherein we have been comforted. It is the character we manifest here and now that gives honor and glory to God. Those whom we comfort will better understand the character of God. We are His witnesses. We may say that it is His character, and that is true. But, we ought not stop there and give support to the lie that our righteousness is as filthy rags. It is true that we are evil by nature, but God has provided a remedy through His Son that we might develop a character that reflects His character. This can only be done by having the Holy Spirit in possession of our heart. It is only then that we are a partaker of His divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).

As we read this morning,  "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us." Miracle of all miracles!  As we obey the truth we are being sanctified daily building up a character that more perfectly reveals our Savior. That does not mean we are sinning a known sin. No, if we sin we are not building up a character more like our Savior. Character is what we do, it is our habits.  Our habits, not the habits of God. He empowers us to keep His law which in turn creates in us the "imparted" righteousness of Christ. Of course that is not good enough, we must also have the "imputed" righteousness of Christ to cover our unknown sins and our past sins. Only Christ can atone for our past sins. The price He paid (grace) is what keeps us from sinning. It is by His stripes that we are healed. It is by beholding His suffering for our sins that we are given a new heart wherein the Holy Spirit abides.

Then being a partaker of His divine nature we shall do as did the good Samaritan, comfort others when given the opportunity that they may understand there is a God in heaven who loves them. "And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes."  Ezekiel 36:23.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2022, 08:26:23 PM »
"When the children of God manifest mercy, kindness, and love toward all men, they also are witnessing to the character of the statutes of heaven. They are bearing testimony to the fact that "the law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7"

"And whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere.

"For the spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God. The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor."

I was sinking deep in sin,
  Far from the peaceful shore,
Very deeply stained within,
  Sinking to rise no more;
But the Master of the sea
  Heard my despairing cry,
From the waters lifted me,
  Now safe am I.
    Love lifted me!
Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help,
  Love lifted me.
Love lifted me!
Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help,
  Love lifted me.
All my heart to Him I give,
  Ever to Him I’ll cling,
In His blessed presence live,
  Ever His praises sing.
Love so mighty and so true
  Merits my soul’s best songs;
Faithful, loving service, too,
  To Him belongs.
Souls in danger, look above,
  Jesus completely saves;
He will lift you by His love
  Out of the angry waves.
He’s the Master of the sea,
  Billows His will obey;
He your Savior wants to be—
  Be saved today.

Lyrics:James Rowe (1866-1933)
Music:Howard E. Smith (1863-1918)

Dorine

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2022, 04:52:20 AM »
The lawyer's question to Jesus had been, "What shall I do?" And Jesus, recognizing love to God and man as the sum of righteousness, had said, "This do, and thou shalt live." The Samaritan had obeyed the dictates of a kind and loving heart, and in this had proved himself a doer of the law. Christ bade the lawyer, "Go, and do thou likewise." Doing, and not saying merely, is expected of the children of God. "He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6.  

I have been praying for a friend that is sharing the most beautiful truths to others through email that uplift and inspire yet in their home are petty, unkind and selfish. May our lives reflect the words we speak because Jesus lives in our hearts. Family and  friends will know we love Jesus not just by our words but by our works as well which is the result of beholding Christ and spending that precious time each day in His word and keeping Him in our thoughts and heart continually. He will give us new hearts that will show to the world God's true character of love.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2022, 06:37:05 PM »
Amen dear brother and sister!  It is God's love that lifts us above the evil in this world. Jesus does not say we are saved by grace, but we are told that when we love God with all of the heart, we will enter heaven. This is the fruit of God's grace seen and allowed into the heart. It is the heart God wants, then we shall love Him and our enemies.

As Christ was teaching the people, "a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted Him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" ........

The lawyer said, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself." Jesus said, "Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live."   .......

"This do, and thou shalt live," Jesus said. He presented the law as a divine unity, and in this lesson taught that it is not possible to keep one precept, and break another; for the same principle runs through them all. Man's destiny will be determined by his obedience to the whole law. Supreme love to God and impartial love to man are the principles to be wrought out in the life.   

Beacon

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2022, 08:12:36 PM »
"When the children of God manifest mercy, kindness, and love toward all men, they also are witnessing to the character of the statutes of heaven."

"They are bearing testimony to the fact that "the law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7."

"Whoever fails to manifest this love is breaking the law which he professes to revere."

"The spirit we manifest toward our brethren declares what is our spirit toward God."

"The love of God in the heart is the only spring of love toward our neighbor." Because....

"If a man says, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" Beloved, "if we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us." 1 John 4:20, 12.

May the words of this song be the prayer of our hearts. 

==========================

Earthly pleasures vainly call me,
  I would be like Jesus;
Nothing worldly shall enthrall me,
  I would be like Jesus.
    Be like Jesus, this my song,
  In the home and in the throng;
Be like Jesus, all day long!
    I would be like Jesus.
He has broken every fetter,
  I would be like Jesus;
That my soul may serve Him better,
  I would be like Jesus.
All the way from earth to glory,
  I would be like Jesus;
Telling o’er and o’er the story,
  I would be like Jesus

Lyrics:James Rowe (1866-1933)
Music:Bentley DeForest Ackley (1872-1958)