Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--54--The Good Samaritan  (Read 15004 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--54--The Good Samaritan
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2023, 04:38:47 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

As we become imbued with the Holy Spirit by surrendering fully to Christ's saving grace and partake of the divine nature, God calls us to ministry!

"'Ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness.' Galatians 6:1. By faith and prayer press back the power of the enemy. Speak words of faith and courage that will be as a healing balsam to the bruised and wounded one. Many, many, have fainted and become discouraged in the great struggle of life, when one word of kindly cheer would have strengthened them to overcome. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 504, paragraph 4}

There are souls in need all around us. With the overflow of genuine conversion manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, we are empowered to go forth to seek and save the lost in a continual union and communion with Christ! Praise God that there will be more souls in heaven as a result of us cooperating with Christ in His unselfish ministry!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2023, 04:46:38 AM »
Amen dear brothers!  When we love the Lord our God with the whole heart, we will love our neighbor as ourselves.

As Christ was teaching the people, "a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted Him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" With breathless attention the large congregation awaited the answer. The priests and rabbis had thought to entangle Christ by having the lawyer ask this question. But the Saviour entered into no controversy. He required the answer from the questioner himself. "What is written in the law?" He said; "how readest thou?" The Jews still accused Jesus of lightly regarding the law given from Sinai; but He turned the question of salvation upon the keeping of God's commandments.   
     The lawyer said, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself." Jesus said, "Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.".....He presented the law as a divine unity, and in this lesson taught that it is not possible to keep one precept, and break another; for the same principle runs through them all. Man's destiny will be determined by his obedience to the whole law. Supreme love to God and impartial love to man are the principles to be wrought out in the life.   

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2023, 05:41:16 AM »
"Christ has linked His interest with that of humanity, and He asks us to become one with Him for the saving of humanity. "Freely ye have received," He says, "freely give." Matthew 10:8. Sin is the greatest of all evils, and it is ours to pity and help the sinner. There are many who err, and who feel their shame and their folly. They are hungry for words of encouragement. They look upon their mistakes and errors, until they are driven almost to desperation. These souls we are not to neglect. If we are Christians, we shall not pass by on the other side, keeping as far as possible from the very ones who most need our help. When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin, we shall never say, This does not concern me."

May God help us to always be like the good Samaritan who was willing to risk his life to save another. If we let fear, prejudice or indifference control our thoughts and actions then we do not know Christ and need to go back to the foot of the cross and be broken. Everyday we must choose between self or Christ. That's why this time each day with Jesus is so important. When we have the heart of Jesus we will be earnest in carrying on His mission of helping and saving souls.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2024, 08:27:26 PM »
    "Christ has linked His interest with that of humanity, and He asks us to become one with Him for the saving of humanity."

"Freely ye have received," He says, "freely give." Matthew 10:8"

"Sin is the greatest of all evils, and it is ours to pity and help the sinner."

"There are many who err, and who feel their shame and their folly."

"They are hungry for words of encouragement."

"They look upon their mistakes and errors, until they are driven almost to desperation."

"These souls we are not to neglect."

"If we are Christians, we shall not pass by on the other side, keeping as far as possible from the very ones who most need our help. When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin,

"We shall never say, This does not concern me."

===================================

Seeking the lost; yes, kindly entreating
    Wanderers on the mountain astray;
    "Come unto Me," His message repeating,
    Words of the Master speaking today.
    Refrain
    Going afar upon the mountain,
    Bringing the wand'rer back again, back again,
    Into the fold of my Redeemer,
    Jesus, the Lamb for sinners slain, for sinners slain.
    Seeking the lost; and pointing to Jesus
    Souls that are weak and hearts that are sore,
    Leading them forth in ways of salvation,
    Showing the path to life evermore.
    Thus I would go on missions of mercy,
    Following Christ from day unto day,
    Cheering the faint and raising the fallen,
    Pointing the lost to Jesus, the Way.

William Ogden
    Music & Words: 1841-1897

[/list]
    Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
      • The Remnant Online
    « Reply #104 on: January 21, 2024, 05:41:05 AM »
    Amen Brother Beacon. Many teach that our righteousness is as filthy rags. This is true except they teach that what we get when converted is not righteousness, but just the imputed righteousness of Christ. That is His righteousness stands in place of ours. We do need His imputed righteousness because we can do nothing about our past sins, except repent. If not for His imputed righteousness to stand in place of our past sins, then we must die. It also covers unknown sins. When we truly repent, He imparts His righteousness to us, that it He transforms our character. We are further sanctified by obeying the truth. By beholding His glory, His character we are transformed into His image (2 Cor. 3:18). Unless we are transformed in character, we are not Christians. When truly converted, we love the Lord our God with all of the heart. Then we are given power to love our neighbor, even our enemy. We manifest the same character as the good Samaritan.

The lesson is no less needed in the world today than when it fell from the lips of Jesus. Selfishness and cold formality have well-nigh extinguished the fire of love, and dispelled the graces that should make fragrant the character. Many who profess His name have lost sight of the fact that Christians are to represent Christ. Unless there is practical self-sacrifice for the good of others, in the family circle, in the neighborhood, in the church, and wherever we may be, then whatever our profession, we are not Christians.   
    Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2024, 07:20:03 AM »
      Again Jesus refused to be drawn into controversy. He did not denounce the bigotry of those who were watching to condemn Him. But by a simple story He held up before His hearers such a picture of the outflowing of heaven-born love as touched all hearts, and drew from the lawyer a confession of the truth.   
         The way to dispel darkness is to admit light. The best way to deal with error is to present truth. It is the revelation of God's love that makes manifest the deformity and sin of the heart centered in self.

Confronting and arguing with those you wish to win to Christ does not work, we need to show the love of Christ to them. Keep Jesus in the middle of your study.  The only way to dispel sin, error and darkness is to present truth with a loving and kind heart.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
    « Reply #106 on: January 21, 2024, 09:17:41 AM »
    Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and Brother Philip!

True righteousness by faith, which you shared, Brother Richard, admits our need of Christ's imputed righteousness, but it does not neglect the imparted righteousness of Christ. The Lord keeps putting on my heart to share about the need to have all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we walk in harmony with all of the light God has revealed to us (which will come when the WHOLE heart is yielded to Jesus), because this is how we can have the genuine white raiment that is offered to us as curative of the Laodicean condition. One of the reasons it is so hard for people to overcome sin is that they have been deceived to think they do not need to, or cannot have that experience. Yet, when Christ abides in the heart, He gives the soul gold tried in the fire (faith working by love), white raiment (Christ's imputed and imparted righteousness), and His genuine eye salve (the anointing of the Holy Spirit to give us spiritual discernment to realize our continual need of Jesus and walk in the light as God teaches us moment-by-moment). Thus, the good news is not just forgiveness, but transformation! Genuine righteousness by faith makes the converted, repentant sinner a saint in the sight of a holy God, even though such a child of His may still have so much to learn (praise God He is merciful and forgiving of our unknown sin). But as further light comes to us, those things that at one point may have been unknown become known to us, and if we truly love God wholeheartedly and our neighbor as ourselves, we will accept the light and freely receive correction to be changed more fully into the image of Christ. Thus, reproof and correction is a BLESSING! God looks upon the heart. He reads the motives. Only Jesus can make those pure as white snow. Let us continually accept Jesus' living invitation to give us His new experience, for it is such a joy! May we walk in the light as He is in the light as true missionaries!! Hallelujah!

We all need help. In Jesus we find infinite help for our infinite need. Only He can redeem and uplift us from the ruin and degradation which sin has wrought. But when we fully surrender to Christ, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing and we shall be enabled to reflect Christ's character to those who need hope and healing. Abiding in Jesus makes it possible for us to be true, effectual medical missionaries to seek and save the lost. The kind, merciful man--who just happened to be a Samaritan--was just such an example of revealing Christ's character. We are to "go and do likewise."

"'Ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness.' Galatians 6:1. By faith and prayer press back the power of the enemy. Speak words of faith and courage that will be as a healing balsam to the bruised and wounded one. Many, many, have fainted and become discouraged in the great struggle of life, when one word of kindly cheer would have strengthened them to overcome. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 504, paragraph 4}

Praise God for the gift of salvation that motivates and empowers us to live like Christ. There is no greater joy than keeping Jesus first, putting others next, and self last.
    "When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2024, 08:43:20 PM »
    "There are many who err, and who feel their shame and their folly."

"They are hungry for words of encouragement."

"They look upon their mistakes and errors, until they are driven almost to desperation."

"These souls we are not to neglect."

"If we are Christians, we shall not pass by on the other side, keeping as far as possible from the very ones who most need our help. When we see human beings in distress, whether through affliction or through sin, we shall never say,,,,

"This does not concern me."

"Ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness." Galatians 6:1."

"By faith and prayer press back the power of the enemy. Speak words of faith and courage that will be as a healing balsam to the bruised and wounded one. Many, many, have fainted and become discouraged in the great struggle of life, when one word of kindly cheer would have strengthened them to overcome. Never should we pass by one suffering soul without seeking to impart to him of the comfort wherewith we are comforted of God.

Remember, my dearly beloved, God is going to hold each one of "US" accountable in the day of Judgment if "WE" are unwilling to be His Coworkers "NOW"
    =====================
    Take my life, and let it be
    Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
    Take my moments and my days,
    Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
    Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
    Take my hands, and let them move
    At the impulse of Thy love;
    Take my feet and let them be
    Swift and beautiful for Thee,
    Swift and beautiful for Thee.
    Take my voice, and let me sing
    Always, only, for my King;
    Take my lips, and let them be
    Filled with messages from Thee,
    Filled with messages from Thee.
    Take my silver and my gold;
    Not a mite would I withhold;
    Take my intellect, and use
    Every power as Thou shalt choose,
    Every power as Thou shalt choose.
    Take my will, and make it Thine;
    It shall be no longer mine.
    Take my heart; it is Thine own;
    It shall be Thy royal throne,
    It shall be Thy royal throne.
    Take my love; my Lord, I pour
    At Thy feet its treasure-store.
    Take myself, and I will be
    Ever, only, all for Thee,
    Ever, only, all for Thee.

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
    Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)
    Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
    « Reply #108 on: April 16, 2024, 03:39:11 AM »
    Amen, Brother Beacon!

Are you willing to help? God can providentially provide opportunities for us to help those who are in need, and it is abiding in the truth of God's character that so helps us to move forward in His faith that works by love and purifies the soul. Jesus, abiding in you, will produce all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, which is just as miraculous as a seed sprouting to bring forth a flower. The love of Christ is a more attractive witness than the world's darkness and delusions! Jesus, instead of getting into a controversial discussion about "Who is my neighbor?" presented the true story of the Good Samaritan. We can learn from Jesus how to handle trying situations--presenting the light of God's truth in love as it applies to real life with real people in need.

"The way to dispel darkness is to admit light. The best way to deal with error is to present truth. It is the revelation of God's love that makes manifest the deformity and sin of the heart centered in self." {The Desire of Ages, page 498, paragraph 5}

While we cannot, of ourselves, be delivered from selfishness, we can look to Christ and allow His love to work the renunciation of selfishness. When we really believe that God loves and means to do us good, we shall cease to worry about the future and gladly do God's will, going forward in His providences to serve and bless. Are you willing to be available today for God's loving plans in your life? There is joy in being a blessing!

Dorine

« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2024, 04:46:04 AM »
    "In the story of the good Samaritan, Jesus gave a picture of Himself and His mission. Man had been deceived, bruised, robbed, and ruined by Satan, and left to perish; but the Saviour had compassion on our helpless condition. He left His glory, to come to our rescue. He found us ready to die, and He undertook our case. He healed our wounds. He covered us with His robe of righteousness. He opened to us a refuge of safety, and made complete provision for us at His own charges. He died to redeem us. Pointing to His own example, He says to His followers, "These things I command you, that ye love one another." "As I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 15:17; 13:34. "

And this does not come from within ourselves. It is the Holy Spirit that convicts us and when converted we are given a love for others that Jesus has for us. We can look good on the outside but Jesus reads the heart and knows our motives.
    But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
      • The Remnant Online
    « Reply #110 on: April 16, 2024, 06:42:28 AM »
    Amen Brother Beacon, Pastor Sean, and Sister Dorine.  Such a simple truth is the gospel message. Love God supremely and our neighbor as ourselves. Jesus is our example.

"This do, and thou shalt live," Jesus said. He presented the law as a divine unity, and in this lesson taught that it is not possible to keep one precept, and break another; for the same principle runs through them all. Man's destiny will be determined by his obedience to the whole law. Supreme love to God and impartial love to man are the principles to be wrought out in the life.