Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--52--The Divine Shepherd  (Read 15354 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--52--The Divine Shepherd
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine! My heart was drawn to the same quote you shared, as it is so encouraging!

As we come to appreciate the way Jesus draws us and transforms us by His divine grace, we can truly experience the uplifting that His grace alone can bring. This uplifting from sin means that Jesus creates a new heart and a new mind in us filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing! We have the privilege of getting to being a revelation of His praise and glory to this world and the universe!

"It is the gospel of the grace of God alone that can uplift the soul. The contemplation of the love of God manifested in His Son will stir the heart and arouse the powers of the soul as nothing else can." {The Desire of Ages, page 478, paragraph 2}

If we are trying to experience lasting change apart from Christ, we are looking in the wrong place. As we come to behold the loveliness of Jesus, we are enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2019, 10:08:07 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean! Grace is the power that transforms the life. I like this statement about the love Jesus has for us.

However much a shepherd may love his sheep, he loves his sons and daughters more. Jesus is not only our shepherd; He is our "everlasting Father." And He says, "I know Mine own, and Mine own know Me, even as the Father knoweth Me, and I know the Father." John 10:14, 15, R. V. What a statement is this!--the only-begotten Son, He who is in the bosom of the Father, He whom God has declared to be "the Man that is My fellow" (Zechariah 13:7),--the communion between Him and the eternal God is taken to represent the communion between Christ and His children on the earth!   
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2019, 07:00:24 PM »
 "As the shepherd goes before his sheep, himself first encountering the perils of the way, so does Jesus with His people. "When He putteth forth His own sheep, He goeth before them." The way to heaven is consecrated by the Saviour's footprints. The path may be steep and rugged, but Jesus has traveled that way; His feet have pressed down the cruel thorns, to make the pathway easier for us. Every burden that we are called to bear He Himself has borne...The Saviour would have passed through the agony of Calvary that one might be saved in His kingdom. He will never abandon one for whom He has died. Unless His followers choose to leave Him, He will hold them fast."

Oh Love that will not let me go, I rest my weary soul in Thee, I give thee back the life I owe, That in Thine ocean depths its flow, May richer fuller be. Hymn # 76

"Though now He is hidden from mortal sight, the ear of faith can hear His voice saying, Fear not; I am with you. "I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore." Revelation 1:18. I have endured your sorrows, experienced your struggles, encountered your temptations. I know your tears; I also have wept. The griefs that lie too deep to be breathed into any human ear, I know. Think not that you are desolate and forsaken. Though your pain touch no responsive chord in any heart on earth, look unto Me, and live. "The mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but My kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of My peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee." Isaiah 54:10.

Oh the wonder of it all, The wonder of it all , Just to think that God loves me, OH THE WONDER OF IT ALL, JUST TO THINK THAT GOD LOVES ME!! Hymn # 75
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2019, 05:40:02 AM »
"Because we are the gift of His Father, and the reward of His work, Jesus loves us. He loves us as His children. Reader, He loves you. Heaven itself can bestow nothing greater, nothing better. Therefore trust."

What a powerful chapter on the tender, compassionate care of our Divine Shepherd who is also our Everlasting Father. With each reading we are brought into a deeper understanding and appreciation of His love and faithfulness to each one. Lets remember today that belief 'trusts' and unbelief 'doubts'. Negative thoughts lead to evil actions. Temptations will come, Satan will see to that. Let's not wait until the end of the day to call upon the one who laid  down His life for us that we might have victory and be saved. No matter how busy we are we can always call upon the Lord and He will answer.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2019, 06:28:25 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!  God is love!  What a Savior! It is by knowing Him that we are saved from self. It is by beholding Him that we remember who He is and who we are. If we are too busy to behold our Lord each day, then we are too busy to be transformed from evil to holiness. Then, we will not give honor and glory to our Lord. How sad to deny Jesus His reward!

What a blessing to have music, hymns that speak the truth!

Christ is the door to the fold of God. Through this door all His children, from the earliest times, have found entrance. In Jesus, as shown in types, as shadowed in symbols, as manifested in the revelation of the prophets, as unveiled in the lessons given to His disciples, and in the miracles wrought for the sons of men, they have beheld "the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world" (John 1:29), and through Him they are brought within the fold of His grace.

Amen! But, there are others who have devised many false paths. They lead many away from Christ. When we know Jesus, it will be Him that motivates us to follow Him and His ways.

It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.   

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2019, 09:42:13 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard!

Jesus has personally sought us out, and the tender relationship He forms with us is unlike any other in the universe with any other being! We are so precious to Jesus and He desires us to experience ongoing grace and strength to be victorious, thus inviting others to come and abide in Jesus!

"As the shepherd leads his flock over the rocky hills, through forest and wild ravines, to grassy nooks by the riverside; as he watches them on the mountains through the lonely night, shielding from robbers, caring tenderly for the sickly and feeble, his life comes to be one with theirs. A strong and tender attachment unites him to the objects of his care. However large the flock, the shepherd knows every sheep. Every one has its name, and responds to the name at the shepherd's call." {The Desire of Ages, page 479, paragraph 1}

I so appreciate the tender connection Jesus forms with us in drawing us and saving us. And that connection with Him we have the joy of forming with others whom Jesus gives to us to help draw them to Christ. As we labor for souls around us, we come to experientially know the joy of Jesus--the joy that led Him to the cross--which is the joy of seeing souls eternally saved!!   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »
"Jesus knows us individually, and is touched with the feeling of our infirmities. He knows us all by name. He knows the very house in which we live, the name of each occupant. He has at times given directions to His servants to go to a certain street in a certain city, to such a house, to find one of His sheep. Every soul is as fully known to Jesus as if he were the only one for whom the Saviour died. The distress of every one touches His heart. The cry for aid reaches His ear. He came to draw all men unto Himself. He bids them, "Follow Me," and His Spirit moves upon their hearts to draw them to come to Him. Many refuse to be drawn. Jesus knows who they are. He also knows who gladly hear His call, and are ready to come under His pastoral care. He says, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." He cares for each one as if there were not another on the face of the earth."     

When I go to the bank and the clerk calls me by name as I approach it feels so personal. When i stop at a place to eat or at the garage that services my vehicle and the service manager greets me by name - It feels soo good. If this type of thing makes me "feel good or important. How much more of value should I feel when I read words like those contained in the paragraph above,

He is the King of Kings - The Lord of Lords and He know me personally!! It shows me that I am very loved and important to Him. I encourage each of you to read this paragraph above more than once and let it sink in to your inner being the great honor and privilege it is to belong to the "FAMILY OF GOD." Thank you Jesus for loving me so deeply and caring for me as if I was your only concern.

Dorine

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2019, 04:36:41 AM »
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.

We can not spend time beholding the life of Christ while on earth and not be deeply drawn to Him. The question is will we accept His invitation to follow Him. We can not read this book over and over and not be convicted to the core of His love for us. It's not enough to be drawn; we must follow. Then we are ready for Christ to lead us to His other sheep who are often hidden from mortal eyes. They are like berries ready to be picked but are hidden beneath the foliage. Some are not ready to be picked, some have fallen to the ground and it's too late to save them but other's are ripe for the picking. It takes back breaking labour to find them. Then when picked they must be tenderly cared for. We may be weary, sore, hungry and thirsty but oh the sweet reward of seeing souls won to Christ.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2019, 06:54:55 AM »
Amen dear Sister! The great joys of life. Beholding the loveliness of Jesus and seeing others understand that God loves them. It is the foundation of the universe, love. Unselfish love that we do not have unless we have Jesus abiding in the heart. And how does this happen? How does the sinner become converted, fully surrendered, transformed into a saint?

The contemplation of the love of God manifested in His Son will stir the heart and arouse the powers of the soul as nothing else can. Christ came that He might re-create the image of God in man; and whoever turns men away from Christ is turning them away from the source of true development; he is defrauding them of the hope and purpose and glory of life. He is a thief and a robber.   

By  beholding His wonderful character we are changed into the same image (character).  2 Cor. 3:18.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2019, 07:00:25 AM »
Thank you Jesus for loving me so deeply and caring for me as if I was your only concern.

Amen Brother Beacon! This reminds me of what we read in the very first chapter.

God's wonderful purpose of grace, the mystery of redeeming love, is the theme into which "angels desire to look," and it will be their study throughout endless ages. Both the redeemed and the unfallen beings will find in the cross of Christ their science and their song. It will be seen that the glory shining in the face of Jesus is the glory of self-sacrificing love. In the light from Calvary it will be seen that the law of self-renouncing love is the law of life for earth and heaven

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2019, 09:08:59 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard!

What a privilege it is to be a part of God's family, and to be drawn by Jesus and yield the WHOLE HEART to Him (and thus experience the miracle of conversion)! The power of His grace to convert our hearts and bring us into continual union and communion with Him is an "off the charts" privilege. The gift we have received it will take eternity to fully enjoy--and that will never end!

"However much a shepherd may love his sheep, he loves his sons and daughters more. Jesus is not only our shepherd; He is our 'everlasting Father.' And He says, 'I know Mine own, and Mine own know Me, even as the Father knoweth Me, and I know the Father.' John 10:14, 15, R. V. What a statement is this!--the only-begotten Son, He who is in the bosom of the Father, He whom God has declared to be 'the Man that is My fellow' (Zechariah 13:7),--the communion between Him and the eternal God is taken to represent the communion between Christ and His children on the earth!" {The Desire of Ages, page 483, paragraph 2}

The thought that the same union Christ has with the Father is the kind of union He has with us as we are fully surrendered to Him and abiding in Him is incredible. It is more than our finite minds can fully comprehend, but it is SO ENCOURAGING to let it be our experience! What wondrous love is this, oh my soul!!!

Beacon

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2020, 05:04:26 PM »
"Millions of human beings are bound down under false religions, in the bondage of slavish fear, of stolid indifference, toiling like beasts of burden, bereft of hope or joy or aspiration here, and with only a dull fear of the hereafter. It is the gospel of the grace of God alone that can uplift the soul. The contemplation of the love of God manifested in His Son will stir the heart and arouse the powers of the soul as nothing else can. Christ came that He might re-create the image of God in man; and whoever turns men away from Christ is turning them away from the source of true development; he is defrauding them of the hope and purpose and glory of life. He is a thief and a robber."

John 10:10 Tell us "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

But how can they hear the Invitation without a faithful laborer for God who is standing tall at his/her post of duty wherever it may be ?

"Jesus said in Luke 10:2 "Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest."

As we begin a New Year - I pray that we ALL will Renew Our Commitment to the Lord of the Harvest and become stronger committed Laboring Laborers for the Lord.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Light is progressive and in 2020 Jesus wants us to be more intimate with Him than ever before. If you had to compare the relative intimacy between the Father and the Son, we could agree that it is an infinite intimacy. But contemplate this--the redeemed become "the Lamb's wife" (Revelation 19:6) and by an experience of union and communion with God become so identified in thoughts, aims and character as to share the throne of the universe. This is a thought that should stir our hearts and minds with the realization of what God wants to give us, which exceeds our highest expectations. Learn of Christ today in humility; be still and know that He is God--and allow Christ to form His character in you, that you may truly be like unto "the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man," even the Man, Christ Jesus (Genesis 2:22). We receive such an experience of marital intimacy with Jesus Christ by beholding the loveliness of His character and yielding continually the whole heart to Him, so He may make it His throne, as we will soon sit with Him upon His throne (Revelation 3:21).

"However much a shepherd may love his sheep, he loves his sons and daughters more. Jesus is not only our shepherd; He is our 'everlasting Father.' And He says, 'I know Mine own, and Mine own know Me, even as the Father knoweth Me, and I know the Father.' John 10:14, 15, R. V. What a statement is this!--the only-begotten Son, He who is in the bosom of the Father, He whom God has declared to be "the Man that is My fellow" (Zechariah 13:7),--the communion between Him and the eternal God is taken to represent the communion between Christ and His children on the earth!" {The Desire of Ages, page 483, paragraph 2}

As I contemplate the real value of our lives in light of love that will be experienced eternally, I am also brought to reflect upon these incredible words:

"The value of man is estimated in heaven according to the capacity of the heart to know God. This knowledge is the spring from which flows all power. God created man that every faculty might be the faculty of the divine mind; and He is ever seeking to bring the human mind into association with the divine. He offers us the privilege of co-operation with Christ in revealing His grace to the world, that we may receive increased knowledge of heavenly things." {Christ's Object Lessons, page 354, paragraph 3}

As we come to know God intimately, we will realize the beauty and sublimity of these words: "And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent" (John 17:3). May this be your experience is my earnest prayer.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2020, 08:46:59 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. As we come to know Christ intimately it is because we have beheld His glory. And contemplating His life, especially the closing scenes where He sweat blood in Gethsemane and was flogged and hanged on the cross, we are not only healed, but will transformed into His image.

Amen,  Brother Beacon. This is grace by which we are transformed and saved.

"The contemplation of the love of God manifested in His Son will stir the heart and arouse the powers of the soul as nothing else can. Christ came that He might re-create the image of God in man

Over and over again, we read of the foundation of our faith. We are transformed from sinners to saints when we  behold God's grace. We love Him because He first loved us. In order to have this whole heart love, we need to know Him intimately.

"He calleth His own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. . . . And the sheep follow Him: for they know His voice." The Eastern shepherd does not drive his sheep. He depends not upon force or fear; but going before, he calls them. They know his voice, and obey the call. So does the Saviour-Shepherd with His sheep. The Scripture says, "Thou leddest Thy people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron." Through the prophet, Jesus declares, "I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn thee." He compels none to follow Him. "I drew them," He says, "with cords of a man, with bands of love." Psalm 77:20; Jeremiah 31:3; Hosea 11:4.   

Beacon

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2020, 08:32:09 PM »
"As the shepherd goes before his sheep, himself first encountering the perils of the way, so does Jesus with His people. "When He putteth forth His own sheep, He goeth before them." The way to heaven is consecrated by the Saviour's footprints. The path may be steep and rugged, but Jesus has traveled that way; His feet have pressed down the cruel thorns, to make the pathway easier for us. Every burden that we are called to bear He Himself has borne. Unless His followers choose to leave Him, He will hold them fast."

Isaiah 41:10 Say...."Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

"It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him. "

"The contemplation of the love of God manifested in His Son will stir the heart and arouse the powers of the soul as nothing else can. Christ came that He might re-create the image of God in man; and whoever turns men away from Christ is turning them away from the source of true development; he is defrauding them of the hope and purpose and glory of life. He is a thief and a robber."

Only when we are willing to take the time to behold Him will we become changed to be the loving, consecrated, humble laboring laborers that He Wants & Needs us to be! Are we willing to daily take the time necessary for the Holy Spirit to empower us??

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2020, 07:40:33 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

As we take time to behold the loveliness of Jesus, the great miracle of conversion takes place in our hearts as we surrender unreservedly to Him because His love has awakened love in our hearts, and we gladly allow Him to recreate us into His image. The image of His purity is manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one missing, and it is only by abiding continually in Christ that we may have this blessed experience! Let us look upon Jesus and invite others to do so by a life of continual, affectionate obedience to the One who gave all for us in dying as our Sacrifice and rising as our Victor over sin and death!!

"Because we are the gift of His Father, and the reward of His work, Jesus loves us. He loves us as His children. Reader, He loves you. Heaven itself can bestow nothing greater, nothing better. Therefore trust." {The Desire of Ages, page 483, paragraph 3}

I love Jesus because He first loved me, and it is by communion with Him and contemplation upon His character that sin truly becomes hateful and we find that we would truly rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today! As the Divine Shepherd, Jesus is able to safely lead us all the way to heaven as we choose continually to surrender all to Him and let His Spirit fill us to be His witnesses!   

Dorine

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2020, 09:59:57 AM »
"As the shepherd goes before his sheep, himself first encountering the perils of the way, so does Jesus with His people. "When He putteth forth His own sheep, He goeth before them." The way to heaven is consecrated by the Saviour's footprints. The path may be steep and rugged, but Jesus has traveled that way; His feet have pressed down the cruel thorns, to make the pathway easier for us. Every burden that we are called to bear He Himself has borne."

It is such sweet consolation to know that following in the footprints of Jesus I am traveling the road to heaven. No it may not be easy but He has gone before me to make it easier. And He would have done this for just one soul that would repent. What joy is ours when we share this truth with others.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2020, 04:20:31 PM »
Amen! What a God!!

Again and again, we are told clearly what it is that causes sinners to come too repentance.

"He calleth His own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. . . . And the sheep follow Him: for they know His voice." The Eastern shepherd does not drive his sheep. He depends not upon force or fear; but going before, he calls them. They know his voice, and obey the call. So does the Saviour-Shepherd with His sheep. The Scripture says, "Thou leddest Thy people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron." Through the prophet, Jesus declares, "I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn thee." He compels none to follow Him. "I drew them," He says, "with cords of a man, with bands of love." Psalm 77:20; Jeremiah 31:3; Hosea 11:4.   

This is why we read daily about our Savior. It is how we hear His voice and see His love.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2020, 06:42:49 AM »
There is only one like you in the universe. Jesus not only loves you individually, but has a perfect plan to save you from all of your sins and to guide you continually in His will! Simply behold His loveliness of character and let His grace transform your heart as you surrender fully to Him! The inevitable result of a full surrender is that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in your life without one missing and you will delight to obey the Ten Commandments which are a transcript of our Divine Shepherd's character!!

"Jesus knows us individually, and is touched with the feeling of our infirmities. He knows us all by name. He knows the very house in which we live, the name of each occupant. He has at times given directions to His servants to go to a certain street in a certain city, to such a house, to find one of His sheep." {The Desire of Ages, page 479, paragraph 3}

May we go about the mission Jesus has for us today to bless others and find those who need a word of encouragement or whatever the Lord puts on our hearts to do to seek and save the lost as He came from heaven to save us from our sins!! What a wonderful Savior we have in Jesus!!   

Dorine

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2020, 07:02:14 AM »
"Through all our trials we have a never-failing Helper. He does not leave us alone to struggle with temptation, to battle with evil, and be finally crushed with burdens and sorrow. Though now He is hidden from mortal sight, the ear of faith can hear His voice saying, Fear not; I am with you. "I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore." Revelation 1:18. I have endured your sorrows, experienced your struggles, encountered your temptations. I know your tears; I also have wept. The griefs that lie too deep to be breathed into any human ear, I know. Think not that you are desolate and forsaken. Though your pain touch no responsive chord in any heart on earth, look unto Me, and live. "The mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but My kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of My peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee." Isaiah 54:10. 

This is the most beautiful promise to take with me throughout this day. There are many who need to know this Jesus. Let us take advantage of the opportunities that come our way to share the great news of Jesus and His grace.