Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--50--Among Snares  (Read 16857 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--50--Among Snares
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2023, 04:52:01 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon!! God is healing you!! It is a blessing to keep you and Dorine in prayer! God still has mission purposes for you both!! Keep looking to Jesus!!!! Amen to what you shared today, too!!!!

The parallels are remarkable. As those who professed to keep the Ten Commandments were largely influenced to reject the Lawgiver incarnate, Jesus Christ, and put him to death on the cross, so today, many who profess to accept Christ Jesus reject the Ten Commandments and will ultimately go so far as to seek to kill those who still choose to keep the commandments of God through the faith of Jesus (see Revelation 13). The devil is always playing sides and trying to get souls off track. Learn to accept the truth in Christ, for the gospel uplifts Christ in the law, and when Christ abides in us, we will gladly obey His commandments by the power of the Holy Spirit! A converted soul will reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing because Christ lives in the soul! The converted, teachable soul will be open to prophetic truth to guide safely to our heavenly home!

"Many who were convinced that Jesus was the Son of God were misled by the false reasoning of the priests and rabbis. These teachers had repeated with great effect the prophecies concerning the Messiah, that He would 'reign in Mount Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before His ancients gloriously;' that He would 'have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth.' Isaiah 24:23; Psalm 72:8. Then they made contemptuous comparisons between the glory here pictured and the humble appearance of Jesus. The very words of prophecy were so perverted as to sanction error. Had the people in sincerity studied the word for themselves, they would not have been misled. The sixty-first chapter of Isaiah testifies that Christ was to do the very work He did. Chapter fifty-three sets forth His rejection and sufferings in the world, and chapter fifty-nine describes the character of the priests and rabbis." {The Desire of Ages, page 458, paragraph 2}

With such clear light shining in our day that the seventh day Sabbath has never changed from creation, many who come under conviction of its truthfulness are swayed by the false reasoning of the popular teachers of this generation who reason away its significance or importance. Many try to make it out to be a "yoke of bondage" or a "Jewish Sabbath" when it is the Sabbath for all people from the beginning, kept by Jesus Himself, still kept by the early church, and will be kept even in heaven and the new earth! Were it not for the little horn power that sought to "change times and laws" (Daniel 7:25), many would gladly accept the Sabbath without thinking it is Sunday or that it does not matter at all. May we do our appointed part in sharing the Three Angels' Messages (Revelation 14:6-12) to help souls come to understand the IMPORTANCE of this message to prepare a people for Christ's return so that souls will not go along with enforced Sunday laws when they become global. Let us sound the trumpet with love and earnestness!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2023, 06:50:14 AM »
Amen my dear  brothers! The love of God is what today's chapter is all about. Those who want to know the truth that they do the truth will know the truth. It is the heart that is the foundation of life.

If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from Myself." John 7:16, 17, R. V. The question of these cavilers Jesus met, not by answering the cavil, but by opening up truth vital to the salvation of the soul. The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals. Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles. To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation. These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself. The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching.   

Brother Beacon, we rejoice with you and your family. God has heard our prayers and has extended your work on the Earth. Satan would have your work stopped, but God has other plans. Your example of spending a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Jesus is an encouragement to all who witness your faithfulness. Your selection of that which you shared today reveals you understand the gospel of grace. We like Jesus, are to hate sin, but love the sinner. May God continue to use you and your family to witness the power of God's unmerited love.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2023, 09:15:13 AM »
    It is not Christ's follower that, with averted eyes, turns from the erring, leaving them unhindered to pursue their downward course. Those who are forward in accusing others, and zealous in bringing them to justice, are often in their own lives more guilty than they. Men hate the sinner, while they love the sin. Christ hates the sin, but loves the sinner. This will be the spirit of all who follow Him. Christian love is slow to censure, quick to discern penitence, ready to forgive, to encourage, to set the wanderer in the path of holiness, and to stay his feet therein.   [/b]

Yes, this chapter was about Jesus love for the world, we see we as men hate the sinner but love the sin, since Adam's first sin we are drawn to sin. Jesus on the other hand hates sin but loves the sinner. What a blessing this is as the wages of sin is death, and all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Jesus is our example; our lives are to be patterned after His. So, we should also hate the sin but love the sinner, when we see someone struggling with error, we should come alongside them and with love and kindness direct them back to the narrow way, always praying for guidance before going forward.

Beacon

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2023, 04:27:08 AM »
"It is not Christ's follower that, with averted eyes, turns from the erring, leaving them unhindered to pursue their downward course."

"Those who are forward in accusing others, and zealous in bringing them to justice, are often in their own lives more guilty than they."

"Men hate the sinner, while they love the sin."

"Christ hates the sin, but loves the sinner."

"This will be the spirit of all who follow Him."

"Christian love is slow to censure, quick to discern penitence, ready to forgive, to encourage, to set the wanderer in the path of holiness, and to stay his feet therein."

How do "YOU & I" measure up to the sentience above?? Are we quick to encourage or quick to censure  We must need remember that Jesus said...." Do unto others as you would that they would do unto to you."
----------------------------------------------

[b
 Seeking the Lost
Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.
    O Jesus, Lord and Savior,
I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy [redemption],*
Didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master,
My heart shall be Thy throne,
My life I give, henceforth to live,
O Christ, for Thee alone.
Living for Jesus who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv’ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.
Living for Jesus wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.
Living for Jesus through earth’s little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.
The Compilers prefer that
the New Testament word, “redemption,”
be used and sung instead of “atonement.”

Lyrics:Thomas Obediah Chisholm (1866-1960)
Music:Carl Harold Lowden (1883-1963)[/b]
[/size]
[/b][/font][/size][/color]
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2023, 08:11:25 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! It is a blessing to be imbued with Christ's character in how we treat others!

God loves to give NEW BEGINNINGS!! No matter what your past has been, you can start fresh with Jesus by fully surrendering to Him so He can imbue you with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as you abide in His pure, holy love which constrains you to true obedience to all of His commandments! God is so gracious! We see this clearly in the way Jesus pardoned and empowered the woman who was caught in adultery, but was enabled by the grace of God to start a new chapter of life in union and communion with the Savior!

"This was to her the beginning of a new life, a life of purity and peace, devoted to the service of God. In the uplifting of this fallen soul, Jesus performed a greater miracle than in healing the most grievous physical disease; He cured the spiritual malady which is unto death everlasting. This penitent woman became one of His most steadfast followers. With self-sacrificing love and devotion she repaid His forgiving mercy." {The Desire of Ages, page 462, paragraph 2}

As we go forth on missions of mercy, may our lives exude the compassion of Christ to invite souls to be pardoned from past sin, to encourage them walk in victory over sin, and experience a new life in God's will and way!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2023, 11:23:21 PM »
Amen my dear brothers! 

"My teaching is not Mine," said Jesus, "but His that sent Me. If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from Myself." John 7:16, 17, R. V. The question of these cavilers Jesus met, not by answering the cavil, but by opening up truth vital to the salvation of the soul. The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals. Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles. To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation. These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself. The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching.   
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2024, 08:17:20 PM »
"If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception."

"But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals."

"Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles."

"To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation."

"These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself."

"The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching." 

Are "WE" looking to find some excuse for evading the truth as given to us, because it pricks our conscience? God Forbid !!

=====================
Alas! and did my Savior bleed?
  And did my Sov’reign die,
Would He devote that sacred head
  For such a worm as I?
Was it for sins that I had done
  He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
  And love beyond degree!
Well might the sun in darkness hide,
  And shut his glories in,
When the incarnate Maker died
  For man, His creature’s sin.
Thus might I hide my blushing face
  While His dear cross appears
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
  And melt mine eyes to tears.
But drops of grief can ne’er repay
  The debt of love I owe;
Here Lord, I give myself away:
  ’Tis all that I can do.

Lyrics:Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Music:Hugh Wilson (1766-1824)

Dorine

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2024, 04:24:15 AM »
"It is not Christ's follower that, with averted eyes, turns from the erring, leaving them unhindered to pursue their downward course. Those who are forward in accusing others, and zealous in bringing them to justice, are often in their own lives more guilty than they. Men hate the sinner, while they love the sin. Christ hates the sin, but loves the sinner. This will be the spirit of all who follow Him. Christian love is slow to censure, quick to discern penitence, ready to forgive, to encourage, to set the wanderer in the path of holiness, and to stay his feet therein."

What love and grace we see in Jesus as he deals with this very guilty woman. When we have asked for and accepted Jesus' forgiveness for our sins we will know the relief of this woman and gratitude of her heart and Jesus will have our love and loyalty to Him. Then when we know of others struggling with sin our hearts will be tender toward them and we will prayerfully do all in our power to help them. I say this not because I have arrived but because the battle is ever before me and only as I submit to Jesus does He give me the grace and compassion to love the erring.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2024, 04:58:27 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

Let's truly listen to Jesus by yielding our heart and will to Him. The facts of Jesus' ministry, the inspiration of the word of God and God's existence cannot be denied, but they will prove of no avail if the whole heart is not surrendered to the Holy Spirit. When that entire surrender is made in childlike faith and trust, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in the life without one missing! Such a new birth produces a life that is brought supernaturally into harmony with God's law of love. Such a miracle Jesus offers us each day. By beholding Him, we become changed into the image of His infinite loveliness!

"'My teaching is not Mine,' said Jesus, 'but His that sent Me. If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from Myself.' John 7:16, 17, R. V. The question of these cavilers Jesus met, not by answering the cavil, but by opening up truth vital to the salvation of the soul. The perception and appreciation of truth, He said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart. Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will. If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. But it is to be received through the work of grace in the heart; and its reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals. Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles. To those who thus yield themselves to God, having an honest desire to know and to do His will, the truth is revealed as the power of God for their salvation. These will be able to distinguish between him who speaks for God, and him who speaks merely from himself. The Pharisees had not put their will on the side of God's will. They were not seeking to know the truth, but to find some excuse for evading it; Christ showed that this was why they did not understand His teaching." {The Desire of Ages, page 455, paragraph 3}

If we truly want to understand God's word, we need to put it into practice in our lives. Then the victory over sin that Jesus offers us become our lived experience as a powerful witness to the grace of God as sufficient to transform a sinner into a saint, and keep such a new creation growing in grace and godliness!

Philip T

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2024, 03:47:07 PM »
  God does not compel men to give up their unbelief. Before them are light and darkness, truth and error. It is for them to decide which they will accept. The human mind is endowed with power to discriminate between right and wrong. God designs that men shall not decide from impulse, but from weight of evidence, carefully comparing scripture with scripture. Had the Jews laid by their prejudice and compared written prophecy with the facts characterizing the life of Jesus, they would have perceived a beautiful harmony between the prophecies and their fulfillment in the life and ministry of the lowly Galilean.   

Jesus would have all come to salvation and eternal life, however; God does not want robots, but men in His kingdom. God gave us the ability to choose right and wrong. Interesting that we are to take the initiative, and study the Bible, comparing carefully scripture with scripture. We need to take time to study under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. When we see truth, we are to accept it, and surrender to Jesus.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2024, 09:10:05 PM »
Amen my dear friends! God's love is so powerful that if we allow grace into the heart, we will not hurt Jesus or those for whom He suffered and died. When He told Mary to sin no more, He meant it for her and all who will love Him supremely.

In His act of pardoning this woman and encouraging her to live a better life, the character of Jesus shines forth in the beauty of perfect righteousness. While He does not palliate sin, nor lessen the sense of guilt, He seeks not to condemn, but to save. The world had for this erring woman only contempt and scorn; but Jesus speaks words of comfort and hope. The Sinless One pities the weakness of the sinner, and reaches to her a helping hand. While the hypocritical Pharisees denounce, Jesus bids her, "Go, and sin no more." 

Beacon

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2024, 08:06:00 PM »
"The perception and appreciation of truth, Jesus said, depends less upon the mind than upon the heart."

"Truth must be received into the soul; it claims the homage of the will."

"If truth could be submitted to the reason alone, pride would be no hindrance in the way of its reception. "

" It is to be received through the work of grace in the heart."

"It's reception depends upon the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals."

"Man's advantages for obtaining a knowledge of the truth, however great these may be, will prove of no benefit to him unless the heart is open to receive the truth, and there is a conscientious surrender of every habit and practice that is opposed to its principles."

Do "WE" have or want a willingness to surrender every habit and practice that would keep "US" out of Heaven?? This is a very serious question!!

=======================
All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2024, 02:13:33 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

A total surrender to Jesus opens up limitless possibilities of what He has planned for us in the new life of grace! When Jesus pardoned the woman caught in adultery described in John chapter 8, He was not sanctioning sin, but giving her forgiveness to start fresh. That is what is so amazing about God's mercy! Instead of holding our sins against us and letting us perish, He actively seeks us out to show us He has a plan for us in ministry! As we appreciate His character and let Him take our hearts that were once the abode of so much sin, He supernaturally gives us new hearts that are filled with holy thoughts, feelings and motives in union and communion with Jesus! Oh, what a joy it is to be truly converted! You can only know the depths of its blessedness when you do surrender fully to Christ, renounce every sin, and walk in the path He leads in His service!

"This was to her the beginning of a new life, a life of purity and peace, devoted to the service of God. In the uplifting of this fallen soul, Jesus performed a greater miracle than in healing the most grievous physical disease; He cured the spiritual malady which is unto death everlasting. This penitent woman became one of His most steadfast followers. With self-sacrificing love and devotion she repaid His forgiving mercy." {The Desire of Ages, page 462, paragraph 2} 

Self-sacrificing love will be manifest in all who are truly converted. Such a converted character is expressed as a miracle with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in a life of true obedience to God's law of love! It is love instead of selfish hatred or fear; it is joy instead of harboring gloom and sorrow; it is peace instead of anxiety and warfare against God's law; it is longsuffering patience instead of haste; it is kind gentleness instead of harshness or coldness; it is goodness instead of evil; it is faith instead of unbelief; it is meekness instead of pride and self-aggrandizement; it is temperance instead of self-indulgence; it is righteousness instead of sin; it is truth instead of lies. Will you let God work out His character in you? Though we have sinned and do not deserve it, we can start fresh today, truly repent and forsake our past sins, accept the truth He reveals to us, gladly accept His providences, and walk with Jesus in constant union and communion, praising His name! It is the BEST LIFE EVER!!

Dorine

« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2024, 06:59:07 AM »
  "In His act of pardoning this woman and encouraging her to live a better life, the character of Jesus shines forth in the beauty of perfect righteousness. While He does not palliate sin, nor lessen the sense of guilt, He seeks not to condemn, but to save. The world had for this erring woman only contempt and scorn; but Jesus speaks words of comfort and hope. The Sinless One pities the weakness of the sinner, and reaches to her a helping hand. While the hypocritical Pharisees denounce, Jesus bids her, "Go, and sin no more.""

Mary was never the same again. Her devotion to Jesus never failed even though she failed in her flesh 7 times she always came to Jesus for forgiveness. She knew He would not turn her away. Jesus wants to save and He wants us to join Him in bringing the saving gospel message to all who are trapped in sin.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2024, 07:43:29 AM »
Amen my dear brothers and sister!  We are surrounded by the snares of Satan. But, we need not fall into his traps if we will abide continually in Christ. We put our trust in Christ and His Word. We do not look to man for our wisdom. God will send teachers, but they will point all to Christ and His Word. Many are led away from the truth by false teachers. Beware! Remember what Satan did to Israel and what he has done in professing Christian churches today. And, if possible he would deceive the very elect. But he will not because they are looking unto Jesus for the truth.

God does not compel men to give up their unbelief. Before them are light and darkness, truth and error. It is for them to decide which they will accept. The human mind is endowed with power to discriminate between right and wrong. God designs that men shall not decide from impulse, but from weight of evidence, carefully comparing scripture with scripture. Had the Jews laid by their prejudice and compared written prophecy with the facts characterizing the life of Jesus, they would have perceived a beautiful harmony between the prophecies and their fulfillment in the life and ministry of the lowly Galilean.   
     Many are deceived today in the same way as were the Jews. Religious teachers read the Bible in the light of their own understanding and traditions; and the people do not search the Scriptures for themselves, and judge for themselves as to what is truth; but they yield up their judgment, and commit their souls to their leaders. The preaching and teaching of His word is one of the means that God has ordained for diffusing light; but we must bring every man's teaching to the test of Scripture. Whoever will prayerfully study the Bible, desiring to know the truth, that he may obey it, will receive divine enlightenment. He will understand the Scriptures. "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching." John 7:17, R. V.