Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--48--Who Is the Greatest?  (Read 14231 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--48--Who Is the Greatest?
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2022, 06:26:03 AM »
"Had Lucifer really desired to be like the Most High, he would never have deserted his appointed place in heaven; for the spirit of the Most High is manifested in unselfish ministry. Lucifer desired God’s power, but not His character. He sought for himself the highest place, and every being who is actuated by his spirit will do the same. Thus alienation, discord, and strife will be inevitable. Dominion becomes the prize of the strongest. The kingdom of Satan is a kingdom of force; every individual regards every other as an obstacle in the way of his own advancement, or a steppingstone on which he himself may climb to a higher place."

This is why there is so much discord and outright hostility among so many of God's professed people. May we come before Him this Sabbath morning with humble, contrite hearts as we realize like Paul, "but by the grace of God go I." Jesus is the answer and when He is the King of our lives we will be like the little children in their teachable innocence realizing our own weaknesses and our great need of Him and continually surrendering our whole hearts to Christ.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2022, 06:50:26 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

Happy Sabbath!! Let us keep our eyes of faith fixed on Christ to have a moment-by-moment miraculous experience of all of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives without one missing!

"Let the repenting sinner fix his eyes upon 'the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world' (John 1:29); and by beholding, he becomes changed. His fear is turned to joy, his doubts to hope. Gratitude springs up. The stony heart is broken. A tide of love sweeps into the soul. Christ is in him a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony,—when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master. We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake." {The Desire of Ages, page 439, paragraph 3}

May we never look down at our difficulties, but always up at our Savior who has power to save to the uttermost all who come unto God by Him! Nothing is too hard for the Lord!! When the whole heart is yielded to Him, there is no limit to what He can do for us as we grow in His grace!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2022, 10:03:32 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean! What great light is given in today's reading. We will surely glory in our tribulation when we love the Lord our God with the whole heart.....and understand that in our tribulation we are His witnesses of the power of grace to transform sinners into saints. There is no other explanation when the world sees the loveliness of Jesus in the truly converted Christian when being persecuted. What is it that the Holy Spirit does to enable us to submit to such tribulation? A revelation of the loveliness of our Savior, of His unmerited love for us while we were yet sinners.

Before honor is humility. To fill a high place before men, Heaven chooses the worker who, like John the Baptist, takes a lowly place before God. The most childlike disciple is the most efficient in labor for God. The heavenly intelligences can co-operate with him who is seeking, not to exalt self, but to save souls. He who feels most deeply his need of divine aid will plead for it; and the Holy Spirit will give unto him glimpses of Jesus that will strengthen and uplift the soul. From communion with Christ he will go forth to work for those who are perishing in their sins. He is anointed for his mission; and he succeeds where many of the learned and intellectually wise would fail.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2022, 08:00:32 PM »
"When we behold Jesus in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony..."

"When we see this..."

"Self will no longer clamor to be recognized."

"Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking."

We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master.

We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake."

=========================
Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Lyrics:Mrs. Ada A. Whiddington (1891)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2022, 04:27:47 AM »
Let us allow Jesus to make us true disciples! When we live in total surrender to Christ, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing as we obey God up to the light He has revealed to us and eagerly receive all that He has to teach us! May we be all in because Jesus is all in for us!

"Before honor is humility. To fill a high place before men, Heaven chooses the worker who, like John the Baptist, takes a lowly place before God. The most childlike disciple is the most efficient in labor for God. The heavenly intelligences can co-operate with him who is seeking, not to exalt self, but to save souls. He who feels most deeply his need of divine aid will plead for it; and the Holy Spirit will give unto him glimpses of Jesus that will strengthen and uplift the soul. From communion with Christ he will go forth to work for those who are perishing in their sins. He is anointed for his mission; and he succeeds where many of the learned and intellectually wise would fail." {The Desire of Ages, page 436, paragraph 3}

When we let Jesus live out His life in us, there is joyful victory and growth in His grace and love! What a blessing to be efficient in labor for God as childlike, converted children of His!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2022, 05:37:16 AM »
"But it is to the wrongdoer himself that we are to present the wrong. We are not to make it a matter of comment and criticism among ourselves; nor even after it is told to the church, are we at liberty to repeat it to others. A knowledge of the faults of Christians will be only a cause of stumbling to the unbelieving world; and by dwelling upon these things, we ourselves can receive only harm; for it is by beholding that we become changed. While we seek to correct the errors of a brother, the Spirit of Christ will lead us to shield him, as far as possible, from the criticism of even his own brethren, and how much more from the censure of the unbelieving world. We ourselves are erring, and need Christ’s pity and forgiveness, and just as we wish Him to deal with us, He bids us deal with one another."

When we truly know Jesus we will do all in our power to protect the reputation of others. If someone needs to be corrected let's remember that we fall too and our attitude should be of love and redemption. If we realized how God looks upon gossip we would abhor it.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2022, 09:27:49 AM »
““We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.” Romans 15:1. No soul who believes in Christ, though his faith may be weak, and his steps wavering as those of a little child, is to be lightly esteemed. By all that has given us advantage over another,—be it education and refinement, nobility of character, Christian training, religious experience,—we are in debt to those less favored; and, so far as lies in our power, we are to minister unto them. If we are strong, we are to stay up the hands of the weak. Angels of glory, that do always behold the face of the Father in heaven, joy in ministering to His little ones. Trembling souls, who have many objectionable traits of character, are their special charge. Angels are ever present where they are most needed, with those who have the hardest battle with self to fight, and whose surroundings are the most discouraging. And in this ministry Christ’s true followers will co-operate. DA 440.

Amen
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2022, 08:01:03 PM »
"While we seek to correct the errors of a brother, the Spirit of Christ will lead us to shield him, as far as possible, from the criticism of even his own brethren."

"And much more from the censure of the unbelieving world."

"We ourselves are erring, and need Christ’s pity and forgiveness."

"Just as we wish Him to deal with us, He bids us deal with one another."

Why is it that "WE" seem more able to see the mistakes and weakness of our Brothers & Sisters in Jesus than our own?? Could it be that "WE" have taken our Eyes Off Jesus...The Author and Finisher of Our Faith? You know by now I like the phrase..." Personal Introspection "   Perhaps its time we take another look at " Ourselves " before we make Judgments about " Others " don't you think....??

===============================

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics:Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)
Music:Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2022, 04:56:55 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

What makes us truly happy? Becoming like Jesus by becoming like selfless children!

"It was not enough for the disciples of Jesus to be instructed as to the nature of His kingdom. What they needed was a change of heart that would bring them into harmony with its principles. Calling a little child to Him, Jesus set him in the midst of them; then tenderly folding the little one in His arms He said, 'Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.' The simplicity, the self-forgetfulness, and the confiding love of a little child are the attributes that Heaven values. These are the characteristics of real greatness." {The Desire of Ages, page 437, paragraph 1}

As Jesus lives in our hearts as we surrender fully to Him, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing (Galatians 5:22-23) will be in our lives as we are empowered to obey God from the heart, glad to embrace the present truth for this time (Revelation 14:1-12) and go forth as missionaries for God (Matthew 28:18-20)!

Dorine

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2022, 06:36:54 AM »
"Had Lucifer really desired to be like the Most High, he would never have deserted his appointed place in heaven; for the spirit of the Most High is manifested in unselfish ministry. Lucifer desired God’s power, but not His character. He sought for himself the highest place, and every being who is actuated by his spirit will do the same. Thus alienation, discord, and strife will be inevitable. Dominion becomes the prize of the strongest. The kingdom of Satan is a kingdom of force; every individual regards every other as an obstacle in the way of his own advancement, or a steppingstone on which he himself may climb to a higher place.

We need these admonitions constantly to help us recognize any wrong spirit in our own lives. If I let a day go by without that intimate connection with God my thoughts turn sour and become selfish. May we keep looking to Jesus doing our part in working with Him for our own salvation and for others. One thing I have found true is that it takes earnest, decided, and agonizing effort to keep my eyes on Jesus. If I believe His promises I will by faith put my toes in the water before I see any evidence of His working. That's when mighty things happen and our faith is strengthened and added to.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2022, 12:34:04 PM »
Amen dear sister!  I was impressed with the same paragraph you quote, but with the beginning as to what happened before.

The Saviour gathered His disciples about Him, and said to them, “If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.” There was in these words a solemnity and impressiveness which the disciples were far from comprehending. That which Christ discerned they could not see. They did not understand the nature of Christ’s kingdom, and this ignorance was the apparent cause of their contention. But the real cause lay deeper. By explaining the nature of the kingdom, Christ might for the time have quelled their strife; but this would not have touched the underlying cause. Even after they had received the fullest knowledge, any question of precedence might have renewed the trouble. Thus disaster would have been brought to the church after Christ’s departure. The strife for the highest place was the outworking of that same spirit which was the beginning of the great controversy in the worlds above, and which had brought Christ from heaven to die. There rose up before Him a vision of Lucifer, the “son of the morning,” in glory surpassing all the angels that surround the throne, and united in closest ties to the Son of God. Lucifer had said, “I will be like the Most High” (Isaiah 14:12, 14); and the desire for self-exaltation had brought strife into the heavenly courts, and had banished a multitude of the hosts of God.

An explanation of things would not fix the problem with the disciples. The only solution for self is the grace of God. The heart has to be transformed, self must be laid in the dust that the mind might reach out to Jesus. I liked what Jesus shown by the Holy Spirit:

There rose up before Him a vision of Lucifer, the “son of the morning,” in glory surpassing all the angels that surround the throne, and united in closest ties to the Son of God. Lucifer had said, “I will be like the Most High” (Isaiah 14:12, 14); and the desire for self-exaltation had brought strife into the heavenly courts, and had banished a multitude of the hosts of God.

And infected those of us living on this dark spot in the universe. How very sad that Lucifer was united with Christ "in closest ties." Pride is so very evil. Look at what Lucifer gave up and all of the pain and suffering his pride has led to. May we hate sin so much we will cease to participate in his evil ways. That will happen as we spend a thoughtful day contemplating the life and suffering of our Savior.

Beacon

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2022, 08:56:00 PM »
"No soul who believes in Christ, though his faith may be weak, and his steps wavering as those of a little child, is to be lightly esteemed."

"By all that has given us advantage over another,—be it education and refinement, nobility of character, Christian training, religious experience,—we are in debt to those less favored; and, so far as lies in our power, we are to minister unto them."

"If we are strong, we are to stay up the hands of the weak."

"Angels of glory, that do always behold the face of the Father in heaven, joy in ministering to His little ones."

"Trembling souls, who have many objectionable traits of character, are their special charge."

"Angels are ever present where they are most needed, with those who have the hardest battle with self to fight, and whose surroundings are the most discouraging."

"In this ministry Christ’s true followers will co-operate."

Notice that the above doesn't say... " WE MIGHT " --- ITS SAYS " WE WILL CO-OPERATE " -- IS THAT HAPPENING IN " YOUR " LIFE & MINE??

======================

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,

Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,

Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,

Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,

Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)

Dorine

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2022, 05:45:41 AM »
But it is to the wrongdoer himself that we are to present the wrong. We are not to make it a matter of comment and criticism among ourselves; nor even after it is told to the church, are we at liberty to repeat it to others. A knowledge of the faults of Christians will be only a cause of stumbling to the unbelieving world; and by dwelling upon these things, we ourselves can receive only harm; for it is by beholding that we become changed. While we seek to correct the errors of a brother, the Spirit of Christ will lead us to shield him, as far as possible, from the criticism of even his own brethren, and how much more from the censure of the unbelieving world. We ourselves are erring, and need Christ’s pity and forgiveness, and just as we wish Him to deal with us, He bids us deal with one another.

So much damage has been done by the repeating of others wrongs behind their back. Although we are to do all we can to correct an erring brother or sister it should always be done in gentle love. Isn't that how we want to be treated? There is such wisdom in studying the life of Christ for He shows us clearly that to have a place in God's kingdom our position here needs to be of a humble servant just as He demonstrated in His daily life. We will view all others better than ourselves and will do all we can to protect their reputation.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2022, 05:50:05 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

Who is the greatest? That's a great question! Jesus answered and illustrated it this way:

"And Jesus called a little child unto Him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:2-4).

"The most childlike disciple is the most efficient in labor for God. The heavenly intelligences can co-operate with him who is seeking, not to exalt self, but to save souls." {The Desire of Ages, page 436, paragraph 3}

It is the motive that gives character to our acts, and when we invite Jesus into the heart to make it pure as the new snow, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be manifest in the life as each child of God abiding in Christ is enabled to obey Him up to the light of His holy law revealed! Let's go increase others' happiness today by being a blessing in whatever way possible, pointing them to Jesus!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2022, 07:08:47 PM »
Amen my dear friends! So many lessons for us today.  I can't help but share what we see over and over. How is it that we are born again and then retain our relationship with Jesus? By beholding grace we are transformed in character (2 Cor. 3:18). Love sweeps into the soul! We become a source of "living water."

Let the repenting sinner fix his eyes upon “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29); and by beholding, he becomes changed. His fear is turned to joy, his doubts to hope. Gratitude springs up. The stony heart is broken. A tide of love sweeps into the soul. Christ is in him a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony,—when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master. We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake. “We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.” Romans 15:1.

Beacon

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2023, 08:02:08 PM »
"By explaining the nature of the kingdom, Christ might for the time have quelled their strife; but this would not have touched the underlying cause."

"Even after they had received the fullest knowledge, any question of precedence might have renewed the trouble."

"Thus disaster would have been brought to the church after Christ’s departure."

"The strife for the highest place was the outworking of that same spirit which was the beginning of the great controversy in the worlds above, and which had brought Christ from heaven to die."

"There rose up before Him a vision of Lucifer, the “son of the morning,” in glory surpassing all the angels that surround the throne, and united in closest ties to the Son of God. ''

"Lucifer had said, “I will be like the Most High” (Isaiah 14:12, 14)"

"The desire for self-exaltation had brought strife into the heavenly courts, and had banished a multitude of the hosts of God."

Do "WE" show the same symptoms of Self-Exhalation in our daily lives?  Please join with me in singing the song below as we pray for the in-filling of God's Spirit.

======================
I hear the Savior say,
“Thy strength indeed is small,
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.”
    Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
  He washed it white as snow.
Lord, now indeed I find
Thy pow’r, and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots,
And melt the heart of stone.
For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim—
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.
And when, before the throne,
I stand in Him complete,
“Jesus died my soul to save,”
My lips shall still repeat.

Lyrics:Elvina Mable Reynolds Hall (1822-1889)
Music:John Thomas Grape (1834-1915)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2023, 06:37:50 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

You are invited to value what really brings true happiness by coming to Jesus and learning to unselfishly live to bless others! Christ gives us the strength and grace to do His will as we surrender all to Him, for all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will come into our llves as we obey God from a sincere heart!

"Before honor is humility. To fill a high place before men, Heaven chooses the worker who, like John the Baptist, takes a lowly place before God. The most childlike disciple is the most efficient in labor for God. The heavenly intelligences can co-operate with him who is seeking, not to exalt self, but to save souls. He who feels most deeply his need of divine aid will plead for it; and the Holy Spirit will give unto him glimpses of Jesus that will strengthen and uplift the soul. From communion with Christ he will go forth to work for those who are perishing in their sins. He is anointed for his mission; and he succeeds where many of the learned and intellectually wise would fail." {The Desire of Ages, page 436, paragraph 3}

Living to bless others flows from Christ abiding in the soul. In childlike simplicity and self-forgetfulness it is a joy to find ways to seek and save others, pointing them to the Savior who has power to save us from sin and heal us into His image!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2023, 08:58:56 PM »
Amen my dear brothers!!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2023, 02:59:37 AM »
Happy Sabbath!!

When God created us, He made us all with a unique individuality. While we can have sweet unity of doctrine, judgment and spirit as we abide in Christ and learn of Him daily, we need to learn to be gracious towards others in our walk with Christ, recognizing that God is drawing them and is willing to use them at the very point that they are in their experience, even as He guides into all truth by the Holy Spirit. All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be manifest in the life of one who is fully surrendered to Christ and truly converted, for the abiding presence of God in the soul makes it possible to be obedient up to the light He has shed on our pathway.

"The fact that one does not in all things conform to our personal ideas or opinions will not justify us in forbidding him to labor for God. Christ is the Great Teacher; we are not to judge or to command, but in humility each is to sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn of Him. Every soul whom God has made willing is a channel through which Christ will reveal His pardoning love. How careful we should be lest we discourage one of God's light bearers, and thus intercept the rays that He would have shine to the world!" {The Desire of Ages, page 438, paragraph 1}

Let us allow God to work with people in such a way that we are encouraging people to go directly to God and experience the healing, winning and transforming love of Christ. In Him is life, and life more abundantly!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2023, 01:46:42 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  If we think we are so very right, then it is our responsibility to help those we think are wrong.

“We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.” Romans 15:1. No soul who believes in Christ, though his faith may be weak, and his steps wavering as those of a little child, is to be lightly esteemed. By all that has given us advantage over another,—be it education and refinement, nobility of character, Christian training, religious experience,—we are in debt to those less favored....

But even this effort may be unavailing. Then, said Jesus, “take with thee one or two more.” It may be that their united influence will prevail where that of the first was unsuccessful. Not being parties to the trouble, they will be more likely to act impartially, and this fact will give their counsel greater weight with the erring one.
If he will not hear them, then, and not till then, the matter is to be brought before the whole body of believers. Let the members of the church, as the representatives of Christ, unite in prayer and loving entreaty that the offender may be restored. The Holy Spirit will speak through His servants, pleading with the wanderer to return to God. Paul the apostle, speaking by inspiration, says, “As though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.” 2 Corinthians 5:20. He who rejects this united overture has broken the tie that binds him to Christ, and thus has severed himself from the fellowship of the church. Henceforth, said Jesus, “let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.” But he is not to be regarded as cut off from the mercy of God. Let him not be despised or neglected by his former brethren, but be treated with tenderness and compassion, as one of the lost sheep that Christ is still seeking to bring to His fold.

Christ’s instruction as to the treatment of the erring repeats in more specific form the teaching given to Israel through Moses: “Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in anywise rebuke thy neighbor, that thou bear not sin for him.” Leviticus 19:17, margin. That is, if one neglects the duty Christ has enjoined, of trying to restore those who are in error and sin, he becomes a partaker in the sin. For evils that we might have checked, we are just as responsible as if we were guilty of the acts ourselves.

Please continue to pray for our Brother Beacon.