Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--48--Who Is the Greatest?  (Read 13728 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--48--Who Is the Greatest?
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2020, 10:00:41 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon! My prayer daily is Lord, I believe, help thou my unbelief, for there is no greater sin than unbelief. As we behold our Savior hanging on the cross, how can we sin against Him? We can't. We will love Him with the whole heart because we see that He first loved us. And, when we are changed (transformed) we will not only keep His commandments, we will manifest of the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing. What a miracle!! Then, when we see one in error and sin, we will not neglect to offer help. If we do not want to help a sinner to turn from sin, then what does that say about our relationship with Jesus? And, it may be seen in our lives that we do not have love, joy, and peace.

Christ’s instruction as to the treatment of the erring repeats in more specific form the teaching given to Israel through Moses: “Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in anywise rebuke thy neighbor, that thou bear not sin for him.” Leviticus 19:17, margin. That is, if one neglects the duty Christ has enjoined, of trying to restore those who are in error and sin, he becomes a partaker in the sin. For evils that we might have checked, we are just as responsible as if we were guilty of the acts ourselves.

Take great care to remove the beam from your own eye before attempting to remove the splinter from a brother's.  Yes, God wants you to help another when he sins, but not when self is alive and well.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2020, 05:27:30 AM »
"It was not enough for the disciples of Jesus to be instructed as to the nature of His kingdom. What they needed was a change of heart that would bring them into harmony with its principles. Calling a little child to Him, Jesus set him in the midst of them; then tenderly folding the little one in His arms He said, “Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” The simplicity, the self-forgetfulness, and the confiding love of a little child are the attributes that Heaven values. These are the characteristics of real greatness."

This is such a special quote to me. It speaks to my heart because it keeps me mindful of the attitude Jesus wants me to have. When I'm tempted to be harsh or cold or judgmental I then remember how Jesus took a child upon His knee and plainly told all what it takes to enter into His kingdom. He knows how to lovingly put me in my place.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Philip T

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2021, 04:46:08 AM »
  The fact that one does not in all things conform to our personal ideas or opinions will not justify us in forbidding him to labor for God. Christ is the Great Teacher; we are not to judge or to command, but in humility each is to sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn of Him. Every soul whom God has made willing is a channel through which Christ will reveal His pardoning love. How careful we should be lest we discourage one of God’s light bearers, and thus intercept the rays that He would have shine to the world!

This struck me this morning, we are not to measure another's work for God by our standards, God works with all, we like them are to sit at the feet of Jesus and lean, just as Mary did, while Martha was busy preparing the meal. We are to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, have humility towards fellow worker for Christ in His work. How easy it can be to discourage a Soul seeking Christ. May this never be said of any of us, that we were a stumbling block to another's salvation.

Dorine

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2021, 05:38:04 AM »
"Let the repenting sinner fix his eyes upon “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29); and by beholding, he becomes changed. His fear is turned to joy, his doubts to hope. Gratitude springs up. The stony heart is broken. A tide of love sweeps into the soul. Christ is in him a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony,—when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master. We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake." {DA 439.3}

This describes the experience of a soul surrendered to God. So much is packed into this short paragraph. What more could I add except to say that as we spend this special time with Jesus this morning and every morning that we will know the fulfillment of this promise, not at the end our lives but right now.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2021, 07:07:38 AM »
" It is to the wrongdoer himself that we are to present the wrong. We are not to make it a matter of comment and criticism among ourselves; nor even after it is told to the church, are we at liberty to repeat it to others.

A knowledge of the faults of Christians will be only a cause of stumbling to the unbelieving world;..

...And by dwelling upon these things, we ourselves can receive only harm; for it is by beholding that we become changed.

While we seek to correct the errors of a brother, the Spirit of Christ will lead us to shield him, as far as possible, from the criticism of even his own brethren, and how much more from the censure of the unbelieving world...

We ourselves are erring, and need Christ’s pity and forgiveness, and just as we wish Him to deal with us, He bids us deal with one another."

Let us remember the counsel of the Scriptures found in Luke 16:31... " DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU. "
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2021, 07:26:43 AM »
Amen, Brother Philip, Sister Dorine, and Brother Beacon!

Where can we safely look continually?

"Let the repenting sinner fix his eyes upon 'the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world' (John 1:29); and by beholding, he becomes changed. His fear is turned to joy, his doubts to hope. Gratitude springs up. The stony heart is broken. A tide of love sweeps into the soul. Christ is in him a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony,—when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master. We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake." {The Desire of Ages, page 439, paragraph 3}

When we behold Jesus' loveliness, yield the whole heart to Him to purify and cleanse, and then have the Holy Spirit abiding in us, love, joy and peace along with all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives because we have experienced the converting power of God leading us to gladly obey His Ten Commandments!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2021, 01:17:05 PM »

Let the repenting sinner fix his eyes upon “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29); and by beholding, he becomes changed. His fear is turned to joy, his doubts to hope. Gratitude springs up. The stony heart is broken. A tide of love sweeps into the soul. Christ is in him a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony,—when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master. We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake. {DA 439.3}
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2021, 04:41:55 AM »
"Jesus says, “My Father which is in heaven,” as reminding His disciples that while by His humanity He is linked with them, a sharer in their trials, and sympathizing with them in their sufferings, by His divinity He is connected with the throne of the Infinite. Wonderful assurance! The heavenly intelligences unite with men in sympathy and labor for the saving of that which was lost. And all the power of heaven is brought to combine with human ability in drawing souls to Christ."

How can anyone turn away from such love and sacrifice? What more could heaven do to convince us of this love? We all want to be loved. Genuine love! What a day that will be when we are able to look upon His face, see His approving smile, hear His sweet melodious voice and realize that all the trials and tribulations here on this earth are worth it all. Let's start that realization right here, right now as by faith we take hold of His promises keeping our eyes on Jesus every step of the way.

Philip T

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2021, 05:38:36 AM »
    While Jesus made it plain that He was under no obligation to pay the tribute, He entered into no controversy with the Jews in regard to the matter; for they would have misinterpreted His words, and turned them against Him. Lest He should give offense by withholding the tribute, He did that which He could not justly be required to do. This lesson would be of great value to His disciples. Marked changes were soon to take place in their relation to the temple service, and Christ taught them not to place themselves needlessly in antagonism to established order. So far as possible, they were to avoid giving occasion for misinterpretation of their faith. While Christians are not to sacrifice one principle of truth, they should avoid controversy whenever it is possible to do so.

We are not to compromise our belief and doctrines in Christ to make the State happy; however, this does not mean we set out to confront the State on every issue, we are to be as ambassador's presenting God's word with humility and love and kindness. We should not confront others for the sake of confrontation. This rarely wins a soul to God.

Beacon

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2021, 05:46:26 AM »
"When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony,—when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking.

We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master. We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake."

"We must come to the place where we recognize the true value of what Jesus said in John 15:4-6 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

Let us be mindful of the counsel from God's Word that says in....

Luke 6:31, "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2021, 07:17:30 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Philip and Brother Beacon!

We are loved and invited to be truly converted and walk in humble dependence upon Jesus at every step heavenward. As we surrender all to Him, He gives us a willingness to be anything or nothing as His providence shall indicate so we may be like Jesus in our sphere of ministry and witness, manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing and growing more like Jesus each day in obedience to His Ten Commandments that He writes upon our hearts by the Holy Spirit!

"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:3).

"The most childlike disciple is the most efficient in labor for God." {The Desire of Ages, page 436, paragraph 3}

May the efficiency found in childlike humility be what helps us move forward in His will at each step today!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2021, 10:38:12 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean! And, we are blessed once again to know what we must do in order to be "converted."

Let the repenting sinner fix his eyes upon “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29); and by beholding, he becomes changed. His fear is turned to joy, his doubts to hope. Gratitude springs up. The stony heart is broken. A tide of love sweeps into the soul. Christ is in him a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony,—when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master. We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake.

How could we not want to die to self when we see the loveliness of Jesus!

Philip T

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2021, 06:54:51 AM »

It was not enough for the disciples of Jesus to be instructed as to the nature of His kingdom. What they needed was a change of heart that would bring them into harmony with its principles. Calling a little child to Him, Jesus set him in the midst of them; then tenderly folding the little one in His arms He said, “Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” The simplicity, the self-forgetfulness, and the confiding love of a little child are the attributes that Heaven values. These are the characteristics of real greatness.

It is not enough to know the scriptures and Christ and profess to be Christians. We need changed hearts from those of the world to those of Christ's nature. We need conversion, and changing and surrendering of our will to God's wills Allowing Jesus to work in and through us. We need to be as a little child forgiving and letting go, loving on another, allowing our characters to be transformed into Christ's.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2021, 08:40:23 AM »
Amen Brother Philip!  This is the subject of today's reading when you get to the bottom line. They needed to be converted daily. Self needs to remain kept under by the power of the Spirit indwelling the heart. They had no idea of what the new birth is. And, they had been so deceived by false teachers, they did not comprehend what Jesus was saying when He said He was going to die. So it is today, the church as a whole remains in a Laodicean condition and knows it not.

When Jesus told them that He was to be put to death and to rise again, He was trying to draw them into conversation in regard to the great test of their faith. Had they been ready to receive what He desired to make known to them, they would have been saved bitter anguish and despair. His words would have brought consolation in the hour of bereavement and disappointment. But although He had spoken so plainly of what awaited Him, His mention of the fact that He was soon to go to Jerusalem again kindled their hope that the kingdom was about to be set up. This had led to questioning as to who should fill the highest offices. On Peter’s return from the sea, the disciples told him of the Saviour’s question, and at last one ventured to ask Jesus, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

The Saviour gathered His disciples about Him, and said to them, “If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.” There was in these words a solemnity and impressiveness which the disciples were far from comprehending. That which Christ discerned they could not see. They did not understand the nature of Christ’s kingdom, and this ignorance was the apparent cause of their contention. But the real cause lay deeper. By explaining the nature of the kingdom, Christ might for the time have quelled their strife; but this would not have touched the underlying cause. Even after they had received the fullest knowledge, any question of precedence might have renewed the trouble. Thus disaster would have been brought to the church after Christ’s departure. The strife for the highest place was the outworking of that same spirit which was the beginning of the great controversy in the worlds above, and which had brought Christ from heaven to die. There rose up before Him a vision of Lucifer, the “son of the morning,” in glory surpassing all the angels that surround the throne, and united in closest ties to the Son of God. Lucifer had said, “I will be like the Most High” (Isaiah 14:12, 14); and the desire for self-exaltation had brought strife into the heavenly courts, and had banished a multitude of the hosts of God. Had Lucifer really desired to be like the Most High, he would never have deserted his appointed place in heaven; for the spirit of the Most High is manifested in unselfish ministry. Lucifer desired God’s power, but not His character. He sought for himself the highest place, and every being who is actuated by his spirit will do the same. Thus alienation, discord, and strife will be inevitable. Dominion becomes the prize of the strongest. The kingdom of Satan is a kingdom of force; every individual regards every other as an obstacle in the way of his own advancement, or a steppingstone on which he himself may climb to a higher place.

Beacon

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2021, 09:20:46 AM »
"When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony...

...when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized...

"Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master."

"We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake."

My dear bothers and sisters in Christ may our song ever be....

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Beacon

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2021, 08:16:20 PM »
"Had Lucifer really desired to be like the Most High, he would never have deserted his appointed place in heaven; for the spirit of the Most High is manifested in unselfish ministry"

"Lucifer desired God’s power, but not His character."

"He sought for himself the highest place, and every being who is actuated by his spirit will do the same."

"Thus alienation, discord, and strife will be inevitable. Dominion becomes the prize of the strongest. The kingdom of Satan is a kingdom of force; every individual regards every other as an obstacle in the way of his own advancement, or a steppingstone on which he himself may climb to a higher place."

Our morning prayer should always be...." More like Jesus I would be in the Home and in The Throng -- More like Jesus ALL DAY LONG -- I WOULD BE LIKE JESUS.  THAT'S MY PRAYER TODAY. IS IT YOURS ALSO?? If not -- Why Not??

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2021, 10:17:57 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  Jesus wants us to give glory to Him, to reflect His character. If we want to please Him, we need to be a partaker of His divine nature!

It was not enough for the disciples of Jesus to be instructed as to the nature of His kingdom. What they needed was a change of heart that would bring them into harmony with its principles. Calling a little child to Him, Jesus set him in the midst of them; then tenderly folding the little one in His arms He said, “Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” The simplicity, the self-forgetfulness, and the confiding love of a little child are the attributes that Heaven values. These are the characteristics of real greatness.

Thus, God would have us reveal His character of greatness. Our righteousness developed through daily obedience by the power of God's grace, is not filthy rags. This is a lie hatched from below. God transforms sinners into saints if they will learn of Him and love Him with the whole heart. Self is kept under by the power of an indwelling Spirit.

Dorine

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2021, 05:19:04 AM »
"Angels of glory, that do always behold the face of the Father in heaven, joy in ministering to His little ones. Trembling souls, who have many objectionable traits of character, are their special charge. Angels are ever present where they are most needed, with those who have the hardest battle with self to fight, and whose surroundings are the most discouraging. And in this ministry Christ’s true followers will co-operate." {DA 440.1}

If the angels are always where they are most needed shouldn't we also be found ministering to those who are weak in the faith and are having the most difficult battles with sin? Everyone who professes the name of Jesus has a sacred duty to give special attention and love to those who are the least loveable. As we behold Jesus the warmth of His compassion and love for the erring will penetrate our cold indifferent hearts and our greatest desire will be, to be like Him. Notice it says that the angels are always beholding the face of the heavenly Father. How much more do we need to do the same?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and Sister Dorine!!

Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus!

"It was not enough for the disciples of Jesus to be instructed as to the nature of His kingdom. What they needed was a change of heart that would bring them into harmony with its principles. Calling a little child to Him, Jesus set him in the midst of them; then tenderly folding the little one in His arms He said, 'Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.' The simplicity, the self-forgetfulness, and the confiding love of a little child are the attributes that Heaven values. These are the characteristics of real greatness." {The Desire of Ages, page 427, paragraph 1}

True greatness is revealed in moral worth--to be like Jesus!

Beacon

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2022, 08:07:04 PM »
"When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony..."

"When we see this...Self will no longer clamor to be recognized."

"Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking."

"We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master."

"We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake."

The final approach to the Great Time of Trouble is coming very soon! "WILL WE BE READY?"

Remember ....

HE WHO FAILS TO PREPARE --- PREPARES TO FAIL. LET US MAKE TIME FOR JESUS " NOW "

Jesus, keep me near the cross,
  There a precious fountain,
Free to all—a healing stream,
  Flows from Calv’ry’s mountain.
    In the cross, in the cross,
  Be my glory ever;
From the cross my ransomed soul
    Nothing then shall sever.
Near the cross, a trembling soul,
  Love and mercy found me;
There the Bright and Morning Star
  Sheds its beams around me.