Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--46--He Was Transfigured  (Read 15756 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--46--He Was Transfigured
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2019, 06:22:07 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. What a God we serve!  We need to learn the lesson as we witness the power of grace is not everlasting unless we are daily receiving it into the heart. The disciples actually heard the voice of our heavenly Father, but it did not stop them from deserting the Son of God. And poor Peter denied Him with cursing.

The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview.
     Through being overcome with sleep, the disciples heard little of what passed between Christ and the heavenly messengers. Failing to watch and pray, they had not received that which God desired to give them,--a knowledge of the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. They lost the blessing that might have been theirs through sharing His self-sacrifice. Slow of heart to believe were these disciples, little appreciative of the treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich them.
     Yet they received great light. They were assured that all heaven knew of the sin of the Jewish nation in rejecting Christ. They were given a clearer insight into the work of the Redeemer. They saw with their eyes and heard with their ears things that were beyond the comprehension of man. They were "eyewitnesses of His majesty" (2 Peter 1:16), and they realized that Jesus was indeed the Messiah, to whom patriarchs and prophets had witnessed, and that He was recognized as such by the heavenly universe.
     While they were still gazing on the scene upon the mount, "a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye Him." As they beheld the cloud of glory, brighter than that which went before the tribes of Israel in the wilderness; as they heard the voice of God speak in awful majesty that caused the mountain to tremble, the disciples fell smitten to the earth.

Even this is not good enough to keep one from sinning. We need to be connected with God continually in order to have power to keep the sinful flesh in which we live under control, We must feed upon Jesus daily that we remember our great need and His great power to keep us from sin.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2019, 07:13:35 AM »
"The disciples are confident that Moses and Elijah have been sent to protect their Master, and to establish His authority as king." 

They just don't 'get it'. Jesus gently tried to tell them that His kingdom was not of this world. These poor disciples could not let go of their preconceived idea that Jesus was going to set up His kingdom here on earth and set them free from the Roman rule.  Then I think; how many of us have preconceived ideas of who God is that are not correct?

Just sitting in Sabbath School is an eye opener to hear all the different ideas and theories of who God really is. Here are just a few that I hear often; God does not destroy. We will be sinning until Christ comes. The fruit of the Spirit is the ideal but we won't have them all. And the biggie: the life of the converted Christian is a wretched experience of doing what you don't want to do and not doing what you want to do. Somehow desire alone will save you. How many today just don't 'get it'?

May God open our eyes and our hearts to believe what He says in His word and be willing to live our lives according to God's will.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2019, 10:09:22 AM »
"Through being overcome with sleep, the disciples heard little of what passed between Christ and the heavenly messengers. Failing to watch and pray, they had not received that which God desired to give them,--a knowledge of the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. They lost the blessing that might have been theirs through sharing His self-sacrifice. Slow of heart to believe were these disciples, little appreciative of the treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich them."

How many of us can relate to the paragraph above?? How many times have I failed to "watch and pray" ?? I am ashamed to say that many times I too have missed out on the "Treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich me" Will you join with me in rededicating more to time to listen, watch & pray? How wonderful it is that the Holy Spirit never tires of trying to reach us so that we may come up higher and experience the joy of a closer walk with Jesus as we journey towards the Kingdom of God - An Earth Made New - Eternal life with no pain, suffering, death.

Look up and listen for the shout.

Beacon

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2019, 09:09:41 PM »
"Through being overcome with sleep, the disciples heard little of what passed between Christ and the heavenly messengers. Failing to watch and pray, they had not received that which God desired to give them,--a knowledge of the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. They lost the blessing that might have been theirs through sharing His self-sacrifice. Slow of heart to believe were these disciples, little appreciative of the treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich them."

Could it be that we are in the same danger??

Let us take the time for deep personal introspection as we read this challenge from the book of Revelation.

Revelation 3:16-18...So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2019, 06:58:39 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! We need true self-sacrificing love in our hearts from Jesus!!

The glory the disciples beheld on the mount when Jesus was transfigured was "off the charts" glorious! And so will be the second coming of Jesus!! Let us behold Him continually by faith in His exceedingly great glory and go forth to illuminate the world with His light shining in and through us by an abiding realization of our need of Him to live out His life in us: all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest without one missing in affectionate obedience to all the light of His law of love that He has revealed!!

"His prayer is heard. While He is bowed in lowliness upon the stony ground, suddenly the heavens open, the golden gates of the city of God are thrown wide, and holy radiance descends upon the mount, enshrouding the Saviour's form. Divinity from within flashes through humanity, and meets the glory coming from above. Arising from His prostrate position, Christ stands in godlike majesty. The soul agony is gone. His countenance now shines 'as the sun,' and His garments are 'white as the light.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 421, paragraph 1}

Let us abide in Christ and He will reveal that light through us as He is coming SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SOON!!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2019, 09:04:38 AM »
  "The disciples do not venture to ask Christ whither He is going, or for what purpose. He has often spent entire nights in the mountains in prayer. He whose hand formed mountain and valley is at home with nature, and enjoys its quietude. The disciples follow where Christ leads the way; yet they wonder why their Master should lead them up this toilsome ascent when they are weary, and when He too is in need of rest."

The disciples were weak and slow to learn many things Christ taught but they loved their Master and were willing to follow Him where ever He would lead. As I walk with Jesus today and follow His lead I want to do it with a heart of trust and joy no matter what my body and mind may tell me. The way may seem difficult and even dangerous at times but He is leading us 'home' and I don't want to miss out.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2019, 06:36:51 PM »
"It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.

Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, [u]at the risk of failure and eternal loss.[/u] [/size][/color]

Have you ever questioned what true love really is?  Read this sentence again..." ( JESUS CAME TO PAY THE PRICE FOR OUR SALVATION )... "AT THE RISK OF FAILURE AND ETERNAL LOSS.  Oh what amazing selfless love and grace! The words of a hymn come to mind, and I want to sing....

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

THANK YOU JESUS FOR LOVING SOMEONE LIKE ME, FOR PAYING THE PRICE OF MY SIN, AND OFFERING ME ETERNAL LIFE WITH YOU!

Dorine

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2019, 04:23:03 AM »
......Slow of heart to believe were these disciples, little appreciative of the treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich them.      Yet they received great light. They were assured that all heaven knew of the sin of the Jewish nation in rejecting Christ. They were given a clearer insight into the work of the Redeemer. They saw with their eyes and heard with their ears things that were beyond the comprehension of man. They were "eyewitnesses of His majesty" (2 Peter 1:16), and they realized that Jesus was indeed the Messiah, to whom patriarchs and prophets had witnessed, and that He was recognized as such by the heavenly universe.

Because these men were eye witnesses of this scene we can know for a surety that what is written of Jesus it true. We are also witnesses of His word to share with the world the glories of heaven and the sacrifice that was made on behalf of each of us. What a love story we have to tell.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2019, 07:31:34 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

What a scene to contemplate--Jesus upon mount where He was transfigured. Keeping our eyes on Jesus in the trials of life helps lift us above the momentary pain and struggle to trust that He who would leave heaven to save us is working out a plan that is best in our lives. If the disciples had remained awake to behold all that transpired, they would have been greatly strengthened for what would soon befall Jesus in Gethsemane and on Calvary. Oh, that we would realize that what God wants to do for us is for our best good, and continually yield to Him all we have and are!

"The disciples, awaking, behold the flood of glory that illuminates the mount. In fear and amazement they gaze upon the radiant form of their Master. As they become able to endure the wondrous light, they see that Jesus is not alone. Beside Him are two heavenly beings, in close converse with Him. They are Moses, who upon Sinai had talked with God; and Elijah, to whom the high privilege was given--granted to but one other of the sons of Adam--never to come under the power of death." {The Desire of Ages, page 421, paragraph 2}

As we think of the kingdom of God to come, it will be much like what took place on the mount where Jesus was transfigured--where Moses as a symbol of the resurrected saints and Elijah as a symbol of the translated saints will meet with Jesus in glory! As we surrender our whole heart to Him, we may have strength and grace to overcome this day and each day, and at last meet Him when He comes!   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2019, 07:14:51 PM »
"It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.

Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, [u]at the risk of failure and eternal loss.[/u] [/size][/color]

Have you ever questioned what true love really is?  Read this sentence again..." ( JESUS CAME TO PAY THE PRICE FOR OUR SALVATION )... "AT THE RISK OF FAILURE AND ETERNAL LOSS.  Oh what amazing selfless love and grace! The words of a hymn come to mind, and I want to sing....

Amen, Brother Beacon! Wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth!! Herein is love!!! This is the grace that saves. The fact that Jesus took on our fallen nature is a most amazing truth! But, in today's reading we realize there is more than this. Jesus was not exactly like us. He was God in the flesh. He did not set aside His godhead. This is a mystery, but Christ had a dual nature. He had fallen flesh, but a sinless human heart. On the mount the disciples saw God in flesh. It is true that we can cease to sin and obey as did our Savior. But, in order to do so we must partake of Christ's divine nature as we read in 2 Peter 1:4. "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."

He prays for strength to endure the test in behalf of humanity. He must Himself gain a fresh hold on Omnipotence, for only thus can He contemplate the future. And He pours out His heart longings for His disciples, that in the hour of the power of darkness their faith may not fail. The dew is heavy upon His bowed form, but He heeds it not. The shadows of night gather thickly about Him, but He regards not their gloom. So the hours pass slowly by. At first the disciples unite their prayers with His in sincere devotion; but after a time they are overcome with weariness, and, even while trying to retain their interest in the scene, they fall asleep. Jesus has told them of His sufferings; He has taken them with Him that they might unite with Him in prayer; even now He is praying for them. The Saviour has seen the gloom of His disciples, and has longed to lighten their grief by an assurance that their faith has not been in vain. Not all, even of the twelve, can receive the revelation He desires to give. Only the three who are to witness His anguish in Gethsemane have been chosen to be with Him on the mount. Now the burden of His prayer is that they may be given a manifestation of the glory He had with the Father before the world was, that His kingdom may be revealed to human eyes, and that His disciples may be strengthened to behold it. He pleads that they may witness a manifestation of His divinity that will comfort them in the hour of His supreme agony with the knowledge that He is of a surety the Son of God and that His shameful death is a part of the plan of redemption.
     His prayer is heard. While He is bowed in lowliness upon the stony ground, suddenly the heavens open, the golden gates of the city of God are thrown wide, and holy radiance descends upon the mount, enshrouding the Saviour's form. Divinity from within flashes through humanity, and meets the glory coming from above. Arising from His prostrate position, Christ stands in godlike majesty. The soul agony is gone. His countenance now shines "as the sun," and His garments are "white as the light."

We see here that Christ was God in human flesh. "Divinity from within flashes through humanity, and meets the glory coming from above." "He pleads that they may witness a manifestation of His divinity...." Don't let anyone steal your prize with smooth talking doctrinal dissertations that do not harmonize with Scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy. Christ was not in all ways like us, He was God. His temptations were so far greater than ours, we cannot even imagine what it was like for Him to carry the sins of the whole world. We read that He did not use His own power to resist sin, but relied upon the power from above. This does no mean He did not have the power to even destroy Satan at any moment. He did. But the power to resist using His power came from His Father above.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2019, 03:43:26 PM »
In the hour of His greatest need..."Heaven had sent its messengers to Jesus; not angels, but men who had endured suffering and sorrow, and who could sympathize with the Saviour in the trial of His earthly life. Moses and Elijah had been colaborers with Christ. They had shared His longing for the salvation of men. Moses had pleaded for Israel: 'Yet now, if Thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray Thee, out of Thy book which Thou hast written.' Exodus 32:32. Elijah had known loneliness of spirit, as for three years and a half of famine he had borne the burden of the nation's hatred and its woe. Alone he had stood for God upon Mount Carmel. Alone he had fled to the desert in anguish and despair. These men, chosen above every angel around the throne, had come to commune with Jesus concerning the scenes of His suffering, and to comfort Him with the assurance of the sympathy of heaven. The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview."

In the Bible we read these comforting, encouraging and supportive words......

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

As I read these words from this chapter I found it so comforting to be reminded that my Heavenly Father knows "EXACTLY WHAT I NEED --- WHEN I NEED IT MOST" and just like He did for Jesus, He is more than capable of sharing the reinforcement we need. In a world that is filled with Anxiety & Fear about many things we have the ASSURANCE that our God can and will provide to lead us safely home.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2019, 02:22:08 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

This morning I was so encouraged and blessed to be awakened early to commune with Jesus, and to realize that He has blessings for us that many in the world might not perceive as blessings. For example, God desires to bless us with a stronger character so we are able to suffer more for His dear sake and better understand His infinite love by a personal experience. The disciples could have been better prepared for the experience of Jesus' death on Calvary if they had received the blessings Jesus desired to give them on the mount of transfiguration. Oh, may we learn that the blessings Jesus has for us are so rooted in His character, and not in what the world necessarily thinks of as earthly greatness!!

"Through being overcome with sleep, the disciples heard little of what passed between Christ and the heavenly messengers. Failing to watch and pray, they had not received that which God desired to give them,--a knowledge of the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. They lost the blessing that might have been theirs through sharing His self-sacrifice. Slow of heart to believe were these disciples, little appreciative of the treasure with which Heaven sought to enrich them." {The Desire of Ages, page 425, paragraph 1}

If we have the opportunity to go on a vacation or take "time off," how many of us are tempted to use it for "extra sleep" instead of more hours in union and communion with Christ to behold His sufferings and sacrifice, thus better preparing us for the trying ordeal that is about to break upon our world? Let us use our few remaining moments in this world wisely. For, when the first day of the week is globally enforced as a false sabbath, and persecution is rekindled against God's people who obey the Ten Commandments because they love Jesus and have received His faith that works by love, will we wish we had spent more time sleeping? I believe that now God's Holy Spirit is awaking us to prepare by filling our hearts with that which will never pass away, as Jesus promises: "Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away" (Mark 13:31).

By filling the heart with the word of God, we are strengthened in character to endure greater trials and to be able to better reflect Jesus, for He brings forth all of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives without one missing at conversion and then ripens each of these traits of His divine nature in us until the harvest comes--that time when His image is perfectly reproduced in His people. We have the privilege of helping to hasten the coming of Jesus by letting Him lead us to watch and pray in beholding His loveliness of character, and thus changing us from one degree of character to the next from day to day until He comes VERY VERY SOON!!!

Lena

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2019, 06:34:01 PM »
Beacon and Pastor Sean,  Thank you for your timely comments. 

Elijah had known loneliness of spirit, as for three years and a half of famine he had borne the burden of the nation's hatred and its woe. Alone he had stood for God upon Mount Carmel. Alone he had fled to the desert in anguish and despair.

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

"more hours in union and communion with Christ to behold His sufferings and sacrifice, thus better preparing us for the trying ordeal that is about to break upon our world? Let us use our few remaining moments in this world wisely. ...  I believe that now God's Holy Spirit is awaking us to prepare by filling our hearts with that which will never pass away, as Jesus promises: "Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away" (Mark 13:31).

By filling the heart with the word of God, we are strengthened in character to endure greater trials and to be able to better reflect Jesus, for He brings forth all of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2020, 04:13:50 AM »
As I have been so encouraged, invigorated and refreshed in spending a "thoughtful hour" upon the life of Jesus, I am so happy to reflect on how heaven chose to encourage Jesus before He would go to Gethsemane and Calvary--Moses and Elijah were sent because of a shared experience. While angels who have never sinned love us, the closest, most meaningful interactions we have are with others who understand our deep soul yearning for the salvation of the lost and the desire to see the plan of salvation come to its final fruition. Oh, let us look to Jesus and find in Him the hope and strength that we need, and in being transformed by His grace, we may in turn be an encouragement to Jesus! Do you realize that?! By being thoroughly converted and receiving a new heart and a new mind from Jesus, sharing the trials allowed by God to give you a shared experience in which all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing continue to become richer and more abundant, you have the privilege of adding to the joy of Jesus who went to Calvary to make possible the relational intimacy that He desires to have with you even now! What a high calling and privilege! Often we think about whether we will wake up early and spend time reading the Bible and beholding Jesus from the perspective of whether it will help us, but let us realize that as we become transformed more fully into the image of Christ, our experience in turn brings encouragement to the heart of Jesus who is now interceding for us in the sanctuary above! Jesus is soon to return in power and great glory, but before He does, He SO LONGS to see us sharing His same love for the lost and experiencing His same ministry and life pattern! What a blessing that we may, as Psalm 103:1 says, "Bless the LORD, O my soul"!!!

"But before the crown must come the cross. Not the inauguration of Christ as king, but the decease to be accomplished at Jerusalem, is the subject of their conference with Jesus. Bearing the weakness of humanity, and burdened with its sorrow and sin, Jesus walked alone in the midst of men. As the darkness of the coming trial pressed upon Him, He was in loneliness of spirit, in a world that knew Him not. Even His loved disciples, absorbed in their own doubt and sorrow and ambitious hopes, had not comprehended the mystery of His mission. He had dwelt amid the love and fellowship of heaven; but in the world that He had created, He was in solitude. Now heaven had sent its messengers to Jesus; not angels, but men who had endured suffering and sorrow, and who could sympathize with the Saviour in the trial of His earthly life. Moses and Elijah had been colaborers with Christ. They had shared His longing for the salvation of men. Moses had pleaded for Israel: 'Yet now, if Thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray Thee, out of Thy book which Thou hast written.' Exodus 32:32. Elijah had known loneliness of spirit, as for three years and a half of famine he had borne the burden of the nation's hatred and its woe. Alone he had stood for God upon Mount Carmel. Alone he had fled to the desert in anguish and despair. These men, chosen above every angel around the throne, had come to commune with Jesus concerning the scenes of His suffering, and to comfort Him with the assurance of the sympathy of heaven. The hope of the world, the salvation of every human being, was the burden of their interview." {The Desire of Ages, page 422, paragraph 2}

As were are "Marching to Zion" with Jesus today, may we never forget the cost of our salvation. The price is so great that we will never fully realize what Jesus has done for us until we are in heaven, realizing that He left heaven and all its glory to be our Brother, our Sacrifice, our Husband (of the church, as we are His bride), and thus we will have the "off the charts" privilege of spending eternity with Jesus! Oh, may we consider it a privilege to bear trial and tribulation for His dear sake, going where He sends us and living in harmony with His law of love by a true, heartfelt, affectionate obedience!!!

Dorine

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2020, 05:57:00 AM »

Amen Pastor Sean. How wonderful to spend this time of refreshing with Jesus each morning to share together what God has laid upon our hearts. It strengthens our faith in Him. I pray that others will join us in this very special time together.

(Heb 9:28)  "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."

"The Saviour's promise to the disciples was now fulfilled. Upon the Mount the future kingdom of glory was represented in miniature, --Christ the King, Moses a representative of the risen saints, and Elijah of the translated ones."

And we are encouraged by this promise also. We are about to be witnesses of this great event and will join with the disciples in the glorious return of our Lord and Saviour whom we have waited so long for.

Beacon

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2020, 07:32:47 AM »
"Jesus prays for strength to endure the test in behalf of humanity. He must Himself gain a fresh hold on Omnipotence, for only thus can He contemplate the future. And He pours out His heart longings for His disciples, that in the hour of the power of darkness their faith may not fail."

What a great example for us..That while we actively share the Good News with others, we also need to gain a fresh hold on Omnipotence in preparation for future events in our lives and those around us.

"Now the burden of His prayer is that they..His disciples..may be given a manifestation of the glory He had with the Father before the world was, that His kingdom may be revealed to human eyes, and that His disciples may be strengthened to behold it.. His prayer is heard. While He is bowed in lowliness upon the stony ground, suddenly the heavens open, the golden gates of the city of God are thrown wide, and holy radiance descends upon the mount, enshrouding the Saviour's form. Divinity from within flashes through humanity, and meets the glory coming from above. Arising from His prostrate position, Christ stands in godlike majesty. The soul agony is gone. His countenance now shines "as the sun," and His garments are "white as the light."

Jesus invites us also to come apart from all the hustle and bustle of the acitivities of daily living.  He says in Mark 6:31...

"And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat."

Will we recognize our great need and accept His invitation to come apart and pray or are we too "busy" in the pursuit of earthly treasure which will soon pass away?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2020, 02:01:35 PM »
I was greatly impressed with the prayers of Jesus. One needs to study this whole paragraph to see what Jesus was doing. The hours passed by slowly as Jesus prayed.

Presently Christ tells them that they are now to go no farther. Stepping a little aside from them, the Man of Sorrows pours out His supplications with strong crying and tears. He prays for strength to endure the test in behalf of humanity. He must Himself gain a fresh hold on Omnipotence, for only thus can He contemplate the future. And He pours out His heart longings for His disciples, that in the hour of the power of darkness their faith may not fail. The dew is heavy upon His bowed form, but He heeds it not. The shadows of night gather thickly about Him, but He regards not their gloom. So the hours pass slowly by. At first the disciples unite their prayers with His in sincere devotion; but after a time they are overcome with weariness, and, even while trying to retain their interest in the scene, they fall asleep. Jesus has told them of His sufferings; He has taken them with Him that they might unite with Him in prayer; even now He is praying for them. The Saviour has seen the gloom of His disciples, and has longed to lighten their grief by an assurance that their faith has not been in vain. Not all, even of the twelve, can receive the revelation He desires to give. Only the three who are to witness His anguish in Gethsemane have been chosen to be with Him on the mount. Now the burden of His prayer is that they may be given a manifestation of the glory He had with the Father before the world was, that His kingdom may be revealed to human eyes, and that His disciples may be strengthened to behold it. He pleads that they may witness a manifestation of His divinity that will comfort them in the hour of His supreme agony with the knowledge that He is of a surety the Son of God and that His shameful death is a part of the plan of redemption.
     His prayer is heard.

Dorine

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2020, 03:22:01 AM »
"Moses upon the mount of transfiguration was a witness to Christ's victory over sin and death. He represented those who shall come forth from the grave at the resurrection of the just. Elijah, who had been translated to heaven without seeing death, represented those who will be living upon the earth at Christ's second coming, and who will be "changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump;" when "this mortal must put on immortality," and "this corruptible must put on incorruption." 1 Corinthians 15:51-53. Jesus was clothed with the light of heaven, as He will appear when He shall come "the second time without sin unto salvation." For He will come "in the glory of His Father with the holy angels." Hebrews 9:28; Mark 8:38. The Saviour's promise to the disciples was now fulfilled. Upon the mount the future kingdom of glory was represented in miniature,--Christ the King, Moses a representative of the risen saints, and Elijah of the translated ones."

To think that God would send human beings to bring comfort and encouragement to the heart of Jesus shows the importance God places on men who have given their all to be co-workers with Christ. They had weaknesses such as we have yet through their deep confession and repentance they were made perfect through Jesus. We too can be made perfect as we abide in Jesus each and every moment. I love to picture eternity and sitting down with these men and with Jesus and hearing the whole story of their experience and the unknowns of our own experiences. Heaven is a wonderful place. It starts here with surrendering our hearts to Jesus and walking with Him each day. Such joy fills our hearts and so many are missing out because they do not believe.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2020, 04:55:09 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!

Is Jesus praying for us? ABSOLUTELY! When He was on the Mount of Transfiguration, He prayed that His glory would be seen by His disciples, and His prayer was heard. Christ is praying for us now from the sanctuary in heaven that the fullness of His glory will be seen in His church, that the glory of His character will be manifested in and through us as His people! All of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing when Christ abides in us by grace through faith, and that witness is to ripen to such maturity and beauty that the entire universe will see the goodness of God!!

"Presently Christ tells them that they are now to go no farther. Stepping a little aside from them, the Man of Sorrows pours out His supplications with strong crying and tears. He prays for strength to endure the test in behalf of humanity. He must Himself gain a fresh hold on Omnipotence, for only thus can He contemplate the future. And He pours out His heart longings for His disciples, that in the hour of the power of darkness their faith may not fail. The dew is heavy upon His bowed form, but He heeds it not. The shadows of night gather thickly about Him, but He regards not their gloom. So the hours pass slowly by. At first the disciples unite their prayers with His in sincere devotion; but after a time they are overcome with weariness, and, even while trying to retain their interest in the scene, they fall asleep. Jesus has told them of His sufferings; He has taken them with Him that they might unite with Him in prayer; even now He is praying for them. The Saviour has seen the gloom of His disciples, and has longed to lighten their grief by an assurance that their faith has not been in vain. Not all, even of the twelve, can receive the revelation He desires to give. Only the three who are to witness His anguish in Gethsemane have been chosen to be with Him on the mount. Now the burden of His prayer is that they may be given a manifestation of the glory He had with the Father before the world was, that His kingdom may be revealed to human eyes, and that His disciples may be strengthened to behold it. He pleads that they may witness a manifestation of His divinity that will comfort them in the hour of His supreme agony with the knowledge that He is of a surety the Son of God and that His shameful death is a part of the plan of redemption." {The Desire of Ages, page 419, paragraph 4}

Christ is willing to live in us by the Holy Spirit! When He lives in us, when we have Him working in and through us, His glory will be seen! Let us not sleep in these last days but be wide awake by beholding the loveliness of Jesus and living to herald the final gospel message in the time when the law of God is being made void, and the whole world needs to see a living witness of Christ!! Let us not be discouraged or distracted from our global mission to spread the everlasting gospel! Jesus Christ has the power to do more than we can ask of think!!

Beacon

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2020, 07:29:06 AM »

How Sad...But how many times have we been guilty of the same thing?

The counsel given to each of us is to "Watch and Pray"
Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak"

The disciples lost the blessing that might have been theirs---and the same thing will happen to each of us if we don't "WATCH & PRAY"