Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--43--Barriers Broken Down  (Read 15281 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--43--Barriers Broken Down
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2019, 06:48:09 PM »
 "Although Jesus did not reply, the woman did not lose faith. As He passed on, as if not hearing her, she followed Him, continuing her supplications. Annoyed by her importunities, the disciples asked Jesus to send her away. They saw that their Master treated her with indifference, and they therefore supposed that the prejudice of the Jews against the Canaanites was pleasing to Him. But it was a pitying Saviour to whom the woman made her plea, and in answer to the request of the disciples, Jesus said, "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel." Although this answer appeared to be in accordance with the prejudice of the Jews, it was an implied rebuke to the disciples, which they afterward understood as reminding them of what He had often told them,-- ***that He came to the world to save all who would accept Him***."

"The woman urged her case with increased earnestness, bowing at Christ's feet, and crying, "Lord, help me." Jesus, still apparently rejecting her entreaties, according to the unfeeling prejudice of the Jews, answered, "It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs." This was virtually asserting that it was not just to lavish the blessings brought to the favored people of God upon strangers and aliens from Israel. This answer would have utterly discouraged a less earnest seeker. But the woman saw that her opportunity had come. Beneath the apparent refusal of Jesus, she saw a compassion that He could not hide. "Truth, Lord," she answered, "yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." While the children of the household eat at the father's table, even the dogs are not left unfed. They have a right to the crumbs that fall from the table abundantly supplied. So while there were many blessings given to Israel, was there not also a blessing for her? She was looked upon as a dog, and had she not then a dog's claim to a crumb from His bounty?"

What great faith and trust this woman exhibited - "as she saw a compassion that Jesus  could not hide" and with every ounce of earnest plea she says...."yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." Jesus recognizes her great humble earnestness & sincerity and pronounces a healing blessing upon her.

Today for you and I God's message is still the same as it says in Matthew 11:28 says...Come unto me, -ALL- ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Also in 1 Peter 5: these words...6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7 Casting all your care upon him; for He careth for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

Happy Sabbath--- To all my brothers and sisters around the world. 

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2019, 03:48:55 AM »
Happy Sabbath! Amen, Brother Beacon, for we can walk by faith as well!!

It's your choice--it's my choice--as to whether we will yield the whole heart to Jesus and in simple faith experience the salvation He so abundantly has supplied! It is heart work, but the woman whose daughter needed healing had a heart ready and willing to accept the help God so longed to impart! May we pray that we will ever sense our continual need of Christ to do any good thing, so that in living faith surrender He may reveal through us all of the fruits of His Spirit as a living witness of His power to transform sinners into saints by grace thorough faith!

"In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel." {The Desire of Ages, page 403, paragraph 2}

I choose to surrender to Jesus with my whole heart, how about you?
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
"There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate." {The Desire of Ages, page 403, paragraph 1}

Jesus said....." in...Matthew 21:22 "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive" & also in John 16:24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. "

This story of Faith & Courage by one that did not belong to the Jewish nation proves to all of us that Jesus came to provide an opportunity for
every man, women, and child, to come to Jesus and experience His Wonderful, Warm, Acceptance and be Welcomed by Jesus!!  So wherever you may be living on planet earth you may freely come to Jesus in faith and He will adopt you into the Family of God.

Dorine

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2019, 04:44:41 AM »
In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel.

I'm thankful that these experiences have been recorded for us. This is one area that I have been weak in. Growing up I was taught that you do not beg. You ask once and kindly told to be happy with the answer you get. I raised my girls the same way. Although it's not the same as what we read about in this story of the Phoenicia woman it has a way of affecting your spiritual perception of God. How many for what ever reason lose faith because they do not get the answer they desire or in a timely manner for them. What a blessing is lost. May this story renew our faith in the ever pitying love of our heavenly father. He turns no one away that comes to him in faith.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!   I really enjoy reading the story of the Canaanite woman. She would not be discouraged, even by Jesus! She understood that He was more than what appeared to most. Satan has blinded many, but not the woman from Canaan.

The woman urged her case with increased earnestness, bowing at Christ's feet, and crying, "Lord, help me." Jesus, still apparently rejecting her entreaties, according to the unfeeling prejudice of the Jews, answered, "It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs." This was virtually asserting that it was not just to lavish the blessings brought to the favored people of God upon strangers and aliens from Israel. This answer would have utterly discouraged a less earnest seeker. But the woman saw that her opportunity had come. Beneath the apparent refusal of Jesus, she saw a compassion that He could not hide. "Truth, Lord," she answered, "yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." While the children of the household eat at the father's table, even the dogs are not left unfed. They have a right to the crumbs that fall from the table abundantly supplied. So while there were many blessings given to Israel, was there not also a blessing for her? She was looked upon as a dog, and had she not then a dog's claim to a crumb from His bounty? 

May we see this compassion daily and not forget it.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2019, 10:00:12 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard!!

When we come to Jesus in difficult circumstances, it is SO IMPORTANT to look beyond the circumstance to the character of God, which is changeless in love, goodness, mercy and justice. Jesus' loveliness of character draws us to come to Him that we may, by our own choice, yield the whole heart to Him and experience the miracle of conversion. As we learn not to trust to what circumstances may or may not say to us, we may find a growing experience in character, for just as the Canaanite woman began her faith journey in complete trust in the compassionate character of Christ, so we need to CONTINUE to walk with Him--not by feelings or circumstances as evidences, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God revealing the unchanging character of the One who left heaven to redeem us.

"In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel." {The Desire of Ages, page 403, paragraph 2}

Let us continually choose to come in faith to Christ, that we may be more and more transformed into His glorious image whereby all of the fruits of His Spirit are manifest in our lives without one missing and these precious traits of the divine nature continually mature and ripen to bless even more souls!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2019, 06:40:30 AM »
"Jesus had just departed from His field of labor because the scribes and Pharisees were seeking to take His life. They murmured and complained. They manifested unbelief and bitterness, and refused the salvation so freely offered them. Here Christ meets one of an unfortunate and despised race, that has not been favored with the light of God's word; yet she yields at once to the divine influence of Christ, and has implicit faith in His ability to grant the favor she asks. She begs for the crumbs that fall from the Master's table. If she may have the privilege of a dog, she is willing to be regarded as a dog. She has no national or religious prejudice or pride to influence her course, and she immediately acknowledges Jesus as the Redeemer, and as being able to do all that she asks of Him."

This story humbles my heart this morning. What an example for us. May we never consider anyone out of reach of God's mercy and grace.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine! Your post reminds me of this promise:

"I entreat the heralds of the gospel of Christ never to become discouraged, never to regard the most hardened sinner as beyond the reach of the grace of God. The one apparently hopeless may accept the truth in the love of it. He who turns the hearts of men as the rivers of water are turned, can bring the most selfish, sin-hardened soul to Christ. Is anything too hard for God to do? 'My word,' He declares, 'shall not return unto Me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.' [Isaiah 55:11.]" {Gospel Workers, page 267, paragraph 2}

We learn by beholding. As the disciples saw Jesus treat the Canaanite woman with such compassion in granting the request to heal her demon-possessed daughter, it was a real help to them later in their ministry after Jesus had ascended to heaven. We need to remember that Jesus is actively teaching us day by day through the experiences He brings us through, as He desires to deeply imbue us with His character so we will manifest that love to all in our life path.

"Afterward, when the Jews turned still more persistently from the disciples, because they declared Jesus to be the Saviour of the world, and when the partition wall between Jew and Gentile was broken down by the death of Christ, this lesson, and similar ones which pointed to the gospel work unrestricted by custom or nationality, had a powerful influence upon the representatives of Christ, in directing their labors." {The Desire of Ages, page 402, paragraph 5}

The love of Christ constrains us as long as we surrender the whole heart to Him. Yet Jesus has more lessons to teach us, shaping our characters to more deeply reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. Nothing we need will be denied by the One who gives us what we most need: a character like His to be manifested to a world in need of His love and grace.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2019, 08:19:08 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. And, Jesus could not hide His compassion from the woman. I love that. And, the woman's faith would not give up. This is the faith that we can have each and every day, if we behold His grace as she did.

The woman urged her case with increased earnestness, bowing at Christ's feet, and crying, "Lord, help me." Jesus, still apparently rejecting her entreaties, according to the unfeeling prejudice of the Jews, answered, "It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs." This was virtually asserting that it was not just to lavish the blessings brought to the favored people of God upon strangers and aliens from Israel. This answer would have utterly discouraged a less earnest seeker. But the woman saw that her opportunity had come. Beneath the apparent refusal of Jesus, she saw a compassion that He could not hide. "Truth, Lord," she answered, "yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." While the children of the household eat at the father's table, even the dogs are not left unfed. They have a right to the crumbs that fall from the table abundantly supplied. So while there were many blessings given to Israel, was there not also a blessing for her? She was looked upon as a dog, and had she not then a dog's claim to a crumb from His bounty? 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2019, 09:12:11 AM »
"There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate. In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel."

Jesus said in the Gospel of Matthew 11:28 " Come unto me, "ALL" ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

That includes "ANYONE"  who is reading this post today. The Love of God includes "EVERYONE "

Beacon

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2019, 04:17:12 PM »
"Enmity against Satan is not natural to the human heart; it is implanted by the grace of God. When one who has been controlled by a stubborn, wayward will is set free, and yields himself wholeheartedly to the drawing of God's heavenly agencies, a miracle is wrought; so also when a man who has been under strong delusion comes to understand moral truth. Every time a soul is converted, and learns to love God and keep His commandments, the promise of God is fulfilled, 'A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you.' Ezekiel 36:26."

God invites "Everyone" to come and experience the True Freedom that He is offering through Jesus the One who left Heaven and came to rescue you & I from the clutches of Sin & Sorrow, Death & Pain. If you have never said YES to Jesus I invite you to do so today. All Heaven will rejoice and you will find Forgiveness and Peace. What better way could we say " MERRY CHRISTMAS TO JESUS! It's your choice!!

John 10:10 Says....   I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Beacon

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »
"The same agencies that barred men away from Christ eighteen hundred years ago are at work today. The spirit which built up the partition wall between Jew and Gentile is still active. Pride and prejudice have built strong walls of separation between different classes of men. Christ and His mission have been misrepresented, and multitudes feel that they are virtually shut away from the ministry of the gospel. But let them not feel that they are shut away from Christ."

Jesus proclaims His Universal Invitation in Matthew 11:28-29 Come unto me, "ALL" ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I "will" give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye "SHALL" find rest unto your souls.

"There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate."

May Jesus help each one of us to reach out in "FAITH" - Take Him at His "WORD" and enter into the "JOY" of "His Salvation".

Dorine

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2020, 07:27:48 AM »
"Christ knew this woman's situation. He knew that she was longing to see Him, and He placed Himself in her path. By ministering to her sorrow, He could give a living representation of the lesson He designed to teach. For this He had brought His disciples into this region. He desired them to see the ignorance existing in cities and villages close to the land of Israel. The people who had been given every opportunity to understand the truth were without a knowledge of the needs of those around them. No effort was made to help souls in darkness. The partition wall which Jewish pride had erected, shut even the disciples from sympathy with the heathen world. But these barriers were to be broken down."

Are you longing to see Jesus? He places Himself in your path that you may receive the healing touch that He offers if you just except. If you have been disappointed by uncaring Christians Jesus knows and sees it all. He wants us to look to Him. We must learn the lesson of this woman that would not give up. Many times our faith is tempted because the answer does not come right away. I know mine has and I'm learning to cling to Him anyway until the His answer comes. It may not be in the form I requested but it is always for my good and it always strengthens my faith and trust in Jesus. As we put our full trust in Him we are able to confidently share with others that they too can trust Him fully.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2020, 10:18:42 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

The only person that can choose for you to be lost is: YOU! Jesus is for you, and He is doing EVERYTHING possible to save you! Even amid the calamity of the coronavirus pandemic, the only one that can choose for this experience to be a curse instead of disguised blessing is: YOU! Each day we have trials and difficulties, and these are on the exponential rise before Jesus returns. But this is a disguised blessing, that our affections may be inclined away from this world to the enduring joy of the world to come! Even amid our trials, we may have ever-increasing love, joy, and peace along with all of the fruits of the Spirit (so not one is missing) as long as we have surrendered our entire heart to Jesus and yielded our will to Him. Now is the perfect time to spend more time in prayer and Bible study, memorizing its promises and being prepared to minister in creative ways to help others who need hope in the trials multiplying around us!

Let us choose Christ and the attitude that sees every experience as one that God is allowing for us to grow more like Him and bless others. Let us look up, for our redemption draws near!! Jesus is coming again SOON!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2020, 03:54:58 AM »
Come as you are to Jesus, and as surely as He helped the woman of Phoenicia by healing her daughter from the possession of a demon, Christ can restore you to His moral image and give you the salvation that alone can bring peace and rest to your soul! Come to Christ and surrender the entire heart to Him, and you shall be saved, experiencing His imputed and imparted righteousness whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be in your life!

"The Saviour's visit to Phoenicia and the miracle there performed had a yet wider purpose. Not alone for the afflicted woman, nor even for His disciples and those who received their labors, was the work accomplished; but also 'that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His name.' John 20:31. The same agencies that barred men away from Christ eighteen hundred years ago are at work today. The spirit which built up the partition wall between Jew and Gentile is still active. Pride and prejudice have built strong walls of separation between different classes of men. Christ and His mission have been misrepresented, and multitudes feel that they are virtually shut away from the ministry of the gospel. But let them not feel that they are shut away from Christ. There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate." {The Desire of Ages, page 403, paragraph 1}

As faith breaks through all the barriers that come between the soul and God, remember that Christ offers us His faith, a faith that relies upon the word of God even when everything else seems to contradict that word! Rely implicitly on God's word and reflect on the loveliness of Jesus, and you can grow maturely into His image today!

Dorine

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2020, 05:11:23 AM »
"In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love."

Faith and belief are the conditions that allow Christ to work in our lives to supernaturally transform us into His character. Imagine! Christ's character will be seen in us. I love the determination and persistence of the Phoenicia woman. The love of Christ drew her to Him and by faith she reached out for help.
"It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel."

Beacon

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2020, 02:34:47 PM »
"There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate."

Jesus said....." in...Matthew 21:22 "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive" & also in John 16:24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. "

This story of Faith & Courage by one that did not belong to the Jewish nation proves to all of us that Jesus came to provide an opportunity for every man, women, and child, to come to Jesus and experience His Wonderful, Warm, Acceptance and be Welcomed by Jesus!! So wherever you may be living on planet earth you may freely come to Jesus in faith and He will adopt you into the Family of God.      

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »
We may come to Christ just as we are and be completely transformed and healed by His grace!

When we live by faith on Jesus as the Son of God, nothing that the devil tries to use against us will be able to keep love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness, goodness, faith and temperance--all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing--from being present in our lives!

Let us choose Christ on a moment-by-moment basis!

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »
"Jesus had just departed from His field of labor because the scribes and Pharisees were seeking to take His life. They murmured and complained. They manifested unbelief and bitterness, and refused the salvation so freely offered them.

Here Christ meets one of an unfortunate and despised race, that has not been favored with the light of God's word; yet she yields at once to the divine influence of Christ, and has implicit faith in His ability to grant the favor she asks. She begs for the crumbs that fall from the Master's table. If she may have the privilege of a dog, she is willing to be regarded as a dog.

She has no national or religious prejudice or pride to influence her course, and she immediately acknowledges Jesus as the Redeemer, and as being able to do all that she asks of Him."

This must have been soo encouraging to Jesus and He found her faith, courage, and attitude so refreshing. Plus it taught the disciples a very, very important lesson... That the Gospel message of salvation was to be given to the world. Let us never forget that Jesus said...

"WHO SO EVER MAY COME"

Dorine

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2020, 05:29:55 AM »
"Caste is hateful to God. He ignores everything of this character. In His sight the souls of all men are of equal value. He "hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; that they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after Him, and find Him, though He be not far from every one of us." Without distinction of age, or rank, or nationality, or religious privilege, all are invited to come unto Him and live. "Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference." "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free." "The rich and poor meet together: the Lord is the Maker of them all." "The same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Acts 17:26, 27; Galatians 3:28; Proverbs 22:2; Romans 10:11-13.   

I'm thankful that God has only one race, the human race, and has made of one blood all nations of earth. This knowledge if believed breaks all barriers down and makes us all equal and precious in His sight.