Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--43--Barriers Broken Down  (Read 15282 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--43--Barriers Broken Down
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 04:31:25 AM »
May we learn from how Jesus ministered to the Syrophoenician woman (see Matthew 15:21-28 and Mark 7:24-30) whose daughter was demon possessed how much Jesus desires us to have a genuine concern for those nearby us who have no light of the gospel and do not understand the loveliness of Jesus. They may be neighbors of ours, they may be people that live close by a church, but yet they may not know His love by a personal experience. Jesus desires to break down all the barriers that keep people from Him. He desires that our hearts will be so filled with His love that we will find ways to reach souls in darkness. By beholding His love and yielding our hearts fully to the beautiful revelation of His character, we are enabled to go forth that more barriers are broken down, and more souls are brought to the foot of the cross--the highest place in the sight of God.

"Christ knew this woman's situation. He knew that she was longing to see Him, and He placed Himself in her path. By ministering to her sorrow, He could give a living representation of the lesson He designed to teach. For this He had brought His disciples into this region. He desired them to see the ignorance existing in cities and villages close to the land of Israel. The people who had been given every opportunity to understand the truth were without a knowledge of the needs of those around them. No effort was made to help souls in darkness. The partition wall which Jewish pride had erected, shut even the disciples from sympathy with the heathen world. But these barriers were to be broken down." {The Desire of Ages, page 400, paragraph 1}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 05:23:40 AM »
...how much Jesus desires us to have a genuine concern for those nearby us who have no light of the gospel and do not understand the loveliness of Jesus. They may be neighbors of ours, they may be people that live close by a church, but yet they may not know His love by a personal experience. Jesus desires to break down all the barriers that keep people from Him.
Amen pastor Sean! As I read what touched your hear this morning a couple of verses came to mind.

John 4:35-36

35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.

The laodecian may not understand their true condition but there are many in the world suffering from the consequences of their sins or someone else's and that know something is wrong and is longing for a better way. They just don't know how to reach out grasp it. It is our job to search these people out and show them a better way. Just like Christ did with syrophoenician woman.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »

Amen Jim and Pastor Sean. So many beautiful thoughts of God's love to ponder in this story.

My post for today was such a mess I could not send it. I have not mastered the code system yet so it was very difficult to read.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 09:50:28 PM »
We will get it fixed dear Sister.  We want to know what the Holy Spirit revealed to you!!  :)  We will work on it tomorrow.

I liked this one simple statement that says so very much to each of us. If we are not in heaven, then who shall we blame?

There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate.

Jesus is drawing all unto Himself. If we would cease resisting that still, small voice, we would all be in heaven when Jesus comes to take us home!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 07:16:58 AM »
Thank you Richard. It will be nice to understand how this coding works.

The one thing that I was reminded of when I read this chapter is how God knows everything about us. He knows our thoughts, and motives better than we know ourselves. Here was this woman desperate to save her daughter willing to put herself out there in spite of apparent unconcern on the part of Christ. Yet she would not give up. Oh I want that kind of faith everyday. And on top of that he went to that region just to put himself in her path. What a Saviour. He does the same today. He may not be here in person but just as He used the disciples after He left earth He uses us to seek the lost and share Christ with them.

"Christ knew this woman's situation. He knew that she was longing to see Him, and He placed Himself in her path. By ministering to her sorrow, He could give a living representation of the lesson He designed to teach. For this He had brought His disciples into this region. He desired them to see the ignorance existing in cities and villages close to the land of Israel."

Now we have these beautiful stories to teach us the same lessons Christ was teaching the disciples. Are we bringing Christ to those around us that have not yet met Jesus?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 05:15:49 AM »
 In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel.

I suppose some might be tempted to believe it wasn't so much faith but a mother's desperation to have her child healed but she had heard the stories Christ's power and love and believed in her heart that she also and her family could receive those blessings and so through her persistence her daughter was healed. Christ does indeed reward those who diligently seek Him!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 05:29:44 AM »
Amen, Jim! Faith begins for each of us where we are by nature--in a selfish, unconverted state. But Jesus wants to do more for us than simply grant the requests that may lead us to seek Him. He desires us to seek Him so that He can give us a new heart and a new mind when we put our will on the side of Christ (choose Him because His love is drawing us). The woman whose daughter was healed desired healing for her daughter, but Jesus also wanted to give this woman a revelation of His loveliness of character, that she also could be saved. Salvation sets us free from the controlling power of selfishness and imbues us with the Holy Spirit (so that all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives without one missing) as we accept the blood of Christ which atones for our sins. What little this woman knew of Christ, she was willing to seek Him no matter what the circumstances. May we have a faith (even the faith of Jesus) that will not dim when trials and circumstances around us may tempt us to be discouraged. No matter how we feel, God in Christ is drawing us to Himself, so He can heal us fully, even as He did the daughter of this Syrophoenician woman! His grace saves us as we behold Him for who He truly is and respond to the wonderful revelation with a whole-heart surrender, for He is the Savior of the world!

"Jesus longed to unfold the deep mysteries of the truth which had been hid for ages, that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs with the Jews, and 'partakers of His promise in Christ by the gospel.' Ephesians 3:6. This truth the disciples were slow to learn, and the divine Teacher gave them lesson upon lesson. In rewarding the faith of the centurion at Capernaum, and preaching the gospel to the inhabitants of Sychar, He had already given evidence that He did not share the intolerance of the Jews. But the Samaritans had some knowledge of God; and the centurion had shown kindness to Israel. Now Jesus brought the disciples in contact with a heathen, whom they regarded as having no reason above any of her people, to expect favor from Him. He would give an example of how such a one should be treated. The disciples had thought that He dispensed too freely the gifts of His grace. He would show that His love was not to be circumscribed to race or nation." {The Desire of Ages, page 402, paragraph 2}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »
It's nice to be back after a few days away without my computer. I've not kept up with technology where I carry a phone and the internet around with me.

Jim I too found the same paragraph to be of special meaning to me today. I'm not sure I would have had the same kind of trusting persistence. A serious and important lesson indeed.

I was also interested in the following paragraph that points out the attitude of the scribes and Pharisees who should have known and accepted Jesus as Messiah compared to this despised heathen woman who did not have the same privileges as the Jewish people. 

"Jesus had just departed from His field of labor because the scribes and Pharisees were seeking to take His life. They murmured and complained. They manifested unbelief and bitterness, and refused the salvation so freely offered them. Here Christ meets one of an unfortunate and despised race, that has not been favored with the light of God's word; yet she yields at once to the divine influence of Christ, and has implicit faith in His ability to grant the favor she asks. She begs for the crumbs that fall from the Master's table. If she may have the privilege of a dog, she is willing to be regarded as a dog. She has no national or religious prejudice or pride to influence her course, and she immediately acknowledges Jesus as the Redeemer, and as being able to do all that she asks of Him."

I see many parallels between Jesus' day and what we see today.  Where is my heart? Do I recognize my need of a Saviour like this woman. Do I have a compassion for those in her position? Am I willing to go out of my comfort zone to minister to them? Do I believe the text that says all people are equal? or do I see myself as a notch or two above 'that' kind?  My prayer today is that self will be dead and Christ will be seen in all my words and deeds.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 08:46:25 AM »
There are many lessons we could learn from today's reading, but what you three have zeroed in on is very important. What must I do to be saved is the all important lesson we must learn. When Laodicea learns this, she will see revival and reformation. Today, we read of what many Jews considered no different from a whore or a thief. Jesus even suggested she was as a dog. How did the woman respond? Here we see why she could be saved. God looks upon the heart. We cannot read the heart, but Jesus did.

She had not the pride of a Pharisee, nor national prejudice against other peoples. We see in this lesson that the ground was fertile into which Jesus planted the Seed of truth. He both granted the request of the woman, saved her soul, and reproved His disciples. What wisdom!

Pastor Sean alluded to the fact that this woman was not converted when she came in contact with Christ. She came bearing a selfish motive. It was for another, but it was still selfish. But, where was her heart? It was ready to accept a powerful truth. What truth? There is a God who not only heals the sick, but saved the soul. I love how she responds to Jesus rebuke. And, we see that she sees something that transforms her life. What did she see? The love of Jesus. This is what brings about conversion. She saw that He loved her. Jesus could not hide His compassion and love from her.

Do we see this love? Amen! Every single morning as we listen to His Words and see His actions as He went about healing and teaching. What unmerited love He came to share with a world sunk in sin. It is this grace that transforms sinners into saints. This woman came seeking help, and as she studied the Savior, she recognized He was who she had hoped for, and she surrendered her heart to the One who could not hide His love.

We all four have seen this important truth this morning. There will be others who will see this also. It is the truth that will save the soul and bring about revival in God's church. Let us pray God will add to our little group that is being so richly  blessed!

Christ knew this woman's situation. He knew that she was longing to see Him, and He placed Himself in her path. By ministering to her sorrow, He could give a living representation of the lesson He designed to teach. For this He had brought His disciples into this region. He desired them to see the ignorance existing in cities and villages close to the land of Israel. The people who had been given every opportunity to understand the truth were without a knowledge of the needs of those around them. No effort was made to help souls in darkness. The partition wall which Jewish pride had erected, shut even the disciples from sympathy with the heathen world. But these barriers were to be broken down.
     Christ did not immediately reply to the woman's request. He received this representative of a despised race as the Jews would have done. In this He designed that His disciples should be impressed with the cold and heartless manner in which the Jews would treat such a case, as evinced by His reception of the woman, and the compassionate manner in which He would have them deal with such distress, as manifested by His subsequent granting of her petition.   
     But although Jesus did not reply, the woman did not lose faith. As He passed on, as if not hearing her, she followed Him, continuing her supplications. Annoyed by her importunities, the disciples asked Jesus to send her away. They saw that their Master treated her with indifference, and they therefore supposed that the prejudice of the Jews against the Canaanites was pleasing to Him. But it was a pitying Saviour to whom the woman made her plea, and in answer to the request of the disciples, Jesus said, "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel." Although this answer appeared to be in accordance with the prejudice of the Jews, it was an implied rebuke to the disciples, which they afterward understood as reminding them of what He had often told them,--that He came to the world to save all who would accept Him.
     The woman urged her case with increased earnestness, bowing at Christ's feet, and crying, "Lord, help me." Jesus, still apparently rejecting her entreaties, according to the unfeeling prejudice of the Jews, answered, "It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs." This was virtually asserting that it was not just to lavish the blessings brought to the favored people of God upon strangers and aliens from Israel. This answer would have utterly discouraged a less earnest seeker. But the woman saw that her opportunity had come. Beneath the apparent refusal of Jesus, she saw a compassion that He could not hide. "Truth, Lord," she answered, "yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." While the children of the household eat at the father's table, even the dogs are not left unfed. They have a right to the crumbs that fall from the table abundantly supplied. So while there were many blessings given to Israel, was there not also a blessing for her? She was looked upon as a dog, and had she not then a dog's claim to a crumb from His bounty? 

"she immediately acknowledges Jesus as the Redeemer, and as being able to do all that she asks of Him."

Do I have a compassion for those in her position? Am I willing to go out of my comfort zone to minister to them?

We all do this morning since we have beheld such powerful grace. What shall we do the rest of today? Will we keep Jesus in the center of out thoughts? Will we be in conversation with Him as we go about our daily chores? The Canaanitish woman after seeing His love, "immediately acknowledges Jesus as the Redeemer." This is conversion. This is what we need daily, and we must maintain that connection throughout the day. If we will look unto Jesus, He will keep us in His hand!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 07:11:14 AM »
Self is strong. It puts up before us seemingly impenetrable barriers. We are often tempted to look at ourselves, our past mistakes or failures--or even successes and accomplishments--but none of this commends us to God (and none of it need keep us from Him either!). We are to come to Christ not because we are so good, but because we, sinful and undone are in utter need of a Savior to save us from ourselves, to cause us to have His perfect peace in the soul by beholding His exceeding loveliness of character. I am so happy to have Jesus as my Savior! He knows how to save me! I choose to cooperate with Him and let Him work through me today so the living water of His love, the living grace that is received by His faith, can bless others around me! I choose Jesus, just like the desperate woman whose daughter was demon possessed. I need Jesus continually, and He is continually at work to save me. What a blessed revelation of how strong a connection we may have in Christ--by His grace, the soul is converted that yields unreservedly to Him! Look away from self to the Savior!! He is our only ground of hope!

"The Saviour's visit to Phoenicia and the miracle there performed had a yet wider purpose. Not alone for the afflicted woman, nor even for His disciples and those who received their labors, was the work accomplished; but also 'that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His name.' John 20:31. The same agencies that barred men away from Christ eighteen hundred years ago are at work today. The spirit which built up the partition wall between Jew and Gentile is still active. Pride and prejudice have built strong walls of separation between different classes of men. Christ and His mission have been misrepresented, and multitudes feel that they are virtually shut away from the ministry of the gospel. But let them not feel that they are shut away from Christ. There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate." {The Desire of Ages, page 403, paragraph 1}

Dorine

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 07:48:04 AM »
The thought that came to me as I read this chapter today is that Jesus didn't wander around aimlessly waiting for some opportunity to come along. He had a plan and purpose in everything he said and did. There's an important lesson in this for us today. Too often we drift along in life waiting for God to use us when maybe we are too caught up in our own plans that we do not see the needs and opportunities that God has put right before us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 04:19:50 AM »
I love Jesus, who came to save all--no matter what their background, their sinfulness, or their present circumstances. By beholding Christ, and truly seeing that great love, I, too, will be drawn and experience His healing, transforming grace that makes me a partaker of the divine nature!

"Jesus longed to unfold the deep mysteries of the truth which had been hid for ages, that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs with the Jews, and 'partakers of His promise in Christ by the gospel.' Ephesians 3:6. This truth the disciples were slow to learn, and the divine Teacher gave them lesson upon lesson. In rewarding the faith of the centurion at Capernaum, and preaching the gospel to the inhabitants of Sychar, He had already given evidence that He did not share the intolerance of the Jews. But the Samaritans had some knowledge of God; and the centurion had shown kindness to Israel. Now Jesus brought the disciples in contact with a heathen, whom they regarded as having no reason above any of her people, to expect favor from Him. He would give an example of how such a one should be treated. The disciples had thought that He dispensed too freely the gifts of His grace. He would show that His love was not to be circumscribed to race or nation." {The Desire of Ages, page 402, paragraph 2}

Let us freely bestow as we have freely received today!!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2018, 05:15:08 AM »
Amen!

She was looked upon as a dog, and had she not then a dog's claim to a crumb from His bounty?

This reminded me of this text....

Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2018, 08:07:33 AM »
Amen Dorine, Pastor Sean, and Jim. What a lesson for the church today. We need Jesus that we would see the opportunities right under our nose. We might think some that many think are "dogs" are open to the love of Jesus. They like us are worthy of at least some of the "crumbs" that so many do not seek after. No matter what their background, their sinfulness, or their present circumstances, if we are filled with God's Spirit, then we will seek to help them as did Jesus.

Jesus rebuked the attitude of His disciples that they might better understand that He came to save all, not just Israel. How about the attitude of the woman? Is our faith just as strong? Will we not be turned away from our Savior, no matter how dark the present circumstances? No matter how far one has sunken from holiness, we all have a claim to God's grace.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free." "The rich and poor meet together: the Lord is the Maker of them all." "The same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 08:29:57 AM »
Nothing can come between you and Jesus but your own choice to stay away from Him. He already bridged the gap of our sin and shame, bearing that to the cross, and atoning for our guilt, taking the punishment that we deserve, and that means we can treat others the way Jesus deserves to be treated, even as He treated us the way He deserved to be treated (remember, He is the king of the universe!!). Interacting with sinners, we don't have to "give them what they deserve" (for we all deserved death, and we are all justly condemned in our fallen human nature by a holy God). But the gospel contemplates our complete recovery from sin. The miracle of God's grace changes sinners into saints as rebellious and evil hearts and minds become pure and holy abodes for the Holy Spirit to indwell with all of the fruits of His character so not one of His divine attributes is missing. With such grace poured out upon us so lavishly, it only makes sense to go and share it with those who don't deserve it (just like us, for we did not earn God's grace, but by beholding His love we are changed!). I love how Jesus treated the Canaanite woman whose daughter needed healing from demon possession, because it shows us that Jesus is looking to save ANYONE and EVERYONE who will come unto Him, for the Father is already drawing us to Himself!

"In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel." {The Desire of Ages, page 403, paragraph 2}

Why would anyone choose to be lost? Because we have been deceived, and our comprehension of what Christ is offering us is often clouded by our own sinfulness. Our own fallen nature clamors for selfishness, which is contrary to God's very nature. Sin changes us to cause us to look upon God in a light that is false; we know we are sinful and unworthy, and we feel we cannot come to God with all our sin and shame. But since Jesus died for us on the cross and is now in the sanctuary in heaven interceding for us, the real reason many will not be saved is that they simply refuse to "look and live!" (By beholding we become changed!!) Come to Christ even though you DO NOT FEEL IT--come in faith because of His great love!! As we get to spend a "thoughtful hour" upon the life of Jesus, especially the closing scenes, it is so encouraging to know that His grace works the change in us so we continually long to come to Him and remain in union and communion with Him in all we do and say! And thus "heaven begins in the soul, and as heavenly-mindedness increases, Christ is more and more appreciated, and finally becomes the Chiefest among ten thousand, the One altogether lovely" {Heaven, page 171, paragraph 4}

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »
Thank you Pastor Sean for sharing these beautiful thoughts of Jesus. There is absolutely no situation that makes it impossible for God to forgive and make us new. Heredity, circumstances, influences, can not dictate who we are when Jesus enters the life. As you pointed out Pastor, "it is your own choice to stay away from Him." He wants to lift us up out of the mud of sin and cleanse us from all our unrighteousness. All He needs and wants is our heart.

If we don't know how to give our hearts to God then we can pray this prayer; "Loving Lord, please take my heart today for I can not give it." He will answer that prayer. And be persistent just as that Phoenician woman was. What a test of faith Jesus put her through but she did not give up. Let us not give up on Jesus either.

"But although Jesus did not reply, the woman did not lose faith. As He passed on, as if not hearing her, she followed Him, continuing her supplications........She begs for the the crumbs that fall from the Master's table. If she may have the privilege of a dog, she is willing to be regarded as a dog........and she immediately acknowledges Jesus as the Redeemer, and as being able to do all that she asks of Him.....He says, "O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt."

Beacon

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2019, 10:59:41 AM »
"Here Christ meets one of an unfortunate and despised race, the Canaanite women,  that has not been favored with the light of God's word; yet she yields at once to the divine influence of Christ, and has implicit faith in His ability to grant the favor she asks. She begs for the crumbs that fall from the Master's table. If she may have the privilege of a dog, she is willing to be regarded as a dog. She has no national or religious prejudice or pride to influence her course, and she immediately acknowledges Jesus as the Redeemer, and as being able to do all that she asks of Him."

What a great example of a mother's love for her daughter..."she is willing to be regarded as a dog" if only her daughter could be cleansed and made whole. Jesus had not found this level of faith and trust in all Israel. I can't help but wonder, if we today, sometimes treat others or at least think of them as did the disciples while professing to be followers of Jesus??

"This act, of healing, opened the minds of the disciples more fully to the labor that lay before them among the Gentiles. They saw a wide field of usefulness outside of Judea. They saw souls bearing sorrows unknown to those more highly favored. Among those whom they had been taught to despise were souls longing for help from the mighty Healer, hungering for the light of truth, which had been so abundantly given to the Jews"

The question is: "Are we willing, as disciples of Jesus, to adopt the same attitude of love and compassion to all those we meet?

Look up and listen for the shout.

Beacon

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 05:28:10 AM »
"There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate. In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel."

Jesus said in the Gospel of Matthew 11:28 " Come unto me, "ALL" ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." That includes "ANYONE"  who is reading this post today. The Love of God includes "EVERYONE " 

"Caste is hateful to God. He ignores everything of this character. In His sight the souls of all men are of equal value. He "hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; that they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after Him, and find Him, though He be not far from every one of us." Without distinction of age, or rank, or nationality, or religious privilege, all are invited to come unto Him and live. "Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference." "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free." "The rich and poor meet together: the Lord is the Maker of them all." "The same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Acts 17:26, 27; Galatians 3:28; Proverbs 22:2; Romans 10:11-13. "

Revelation 3:20 say. “Look! I have been standing at the door, and I am constantly knocking. If anyone hears me calling him and opens the door, I will come in and fellowship with him and he with me." The Lord of Lords and King of Kings is offering an invitation to come. Will you not accept of this offer and find the joy of letting Jesus be your guide today and every day?
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 06:03:28 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon. Coming to the Lord means to spend time with Him so that you will learn to trust Him with the whole heart. See His loveliness, taste of His goodness! Then when He is known, even the heavens wonder at such love! And, sinner's barriers are completely broken down!

And not only are sinner's barriers to be broken down, but so are ours which have kept us from ministering to the ignorant. How many times have we passed over the ignorant who know nothing about our God? Too many times.

Christ knew this woman's situation. He knew that she was longing to see Him, and He placed Himself in her path. By ministering to her sorrow, He could give a living representation of the lesson He designed to teach. For this He had brought His disciples into this region. He desired them to see the ignorance existing in cities and villages close to the land of Israel. The people who had been given every opportunity to understand the truth were without a knowledge of the needs of those around them. No effort was made to help souls in darkness. The partition wall which Jewish pride had erected, shut even the disciples from sympathy with the heathen world. But these barriers were to be broken down.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 07:29:08 AM »
Amen, Beacon and Richard!

I so appreciate the way Jesus inspires hearts to come to Him for what He alone can do in the life!

"'Behold, a Canaanitish woman came out from those borders, and cried, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, Thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.' Matthew 15:22, R. V. The people of this district were of the old Canaanite race. They were idolaters, and were despised and hated by the Jews. To this class belonged the woman who now came to Jesus. She was a heathen, and was therefore excluded from the advantages which the Jews daily enjoyed. There were many Jews living among the Phoenicians, and the tidings of Christ's work had penetrated to this region. Some of the people had listened to His words and had witnessed His wonderful works. This woman had heard of the prophet, who, it was reported, healed all manner of diseases. As she heard of His power, hope sprang up in her heart. Inspired by a mother's love, she determined to present her daughter's case to Him. It was her resolute purpose to bring her affliction to Jesus. He must heal her child. She had sought help from the heathen gods, but had obtained no relief. And at times she was tempted to think, What can this Jewish teacher do for me? But the word had come, He heals all manner of diseases, whether those who come to Him for help are rich or poor. She determined not to lose her only hope." {The Desire of Ages, page 399, paragraph 2}

What really spoke to me today was this woman's "resolute purpose to bring her affection to Jesus." I have found time and again, whatever my infirmity, weakness, struggle, temptation, sickness, or need, that by bringing it to Jesus, He has healing power--the power of His love and grace--to change my heart, heal my sin-sick soul, and make me a partaker of His divine nature! The gospel contemplates our complete recovery from sin and a full restoration into God's moral image! What a privilege to know where to go for that experience--to behold the loveliness of Jesus and be changed!!