Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--39--Give Ye Them to Eat  (Read 11483 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--39--Give Ye Them to Eat
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2022, 08:09:14 PM »
If the work be of God, He Himself will provide the means for its accomplishment.

"He will reward honest, simple reliance upon Him."

"The little that is wisely and economically used in the service of the Lord of heaven will increase in the very act of imparting."

"In the hand of Christ the small supply of food remained undiminished until the famished multitude were satisfied."

"If we go to the Source of all strength, with our hands of faith outstretched to receive, we shall be sustained in our work, even under the most forbidding circumstances, and shall be enabled to give to others the bread of life."

What Powerful Promises Proclaim Our Victory in Christ "IF" We Keep our Eyes Fixed on Jesus.

Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
  Standing on the promises of God.
    Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
Standing, standing,
  Iím standing on the promises of God.
Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises I now can see
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
Bound to Him eternally by loveís strong cord,
Overcoming daily with the Spiritís sword,
Standing on the promises I shall not fall,
Listening every moment to the Spiritís call.
Resting in my Savior as my All in all,

Lyrics and Music:Russell Kelso Carter (1849-1928)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2022, 04:20:36 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  It is God that works even when we think it is nature or ourselves. We and nature work with God to do what is necessary to bless others. I lost a whole season of growing tomatoes and did not attribute it to God not working. Today I see that I was not depending upon Jesus, but my own work that I thought would produce an abundant crop. How many tomatoes did I get from so much hard work? Zero.   :)   It is a hard lesson to learn. Just because He had blessed the year before when I thought I had done good, we must not lose our understanding that we are dependent wholly on Him who gave all that we might live.

In feeding the five thousand, Jesus lifts the veil from the world of nature, and reveals the power that is constantly exercised for our good. In the production of earth's harvests God is working a miracle every day. Through natural agencies the same work is accomplished that was wrought in the feeding of the multitude. Men prepare the soil and sow the seed, but it is the life from God that causes the seed to germinate. It is God's rain and air and sunshine that cause it to put forth, "first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear." Mark 4:28. It is God who is every day feeding millions from earth's harvest fields. Men are called upon to co-operate with God in the care of the grain and the preparation of the loaf, and because of this they lose sight of the divine agency. They do not give God the glory due unto His holy name. The working of His power is ascribed to natural causes or to human instrumentality. Man is glorified in place of God, and His gracious gifts are perverted to selfish uses, and made a curse instead of a blessing. God is seeking to change all this. He desires that our dull senses shall be quickened to discern His merciful kindness and to glorify Him for the working of His power. He desires us to recognize Him in His gifts, that they may be, as He intended, a blessing to us. It was to accomplish this purpose that the miracles of Christ were performed.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2022, 05:45:30 AM »
Christ never worked a miracle except to supply a genuine necessity, and every miracle was of a character to lead the people to the tree of life, whose leaves are for the healing of the nations. The simple food passed round by the hands of the disciples contained a whole treasure of lessons. It was humble fare that had been provided; the fishes and barley loaves were the daily food of the fisher folk about the Sea of Galilee. Christ could have spread before the people a rich repast, but food prepared merely for the gratification of appetite would have conveyed no lesson for their good. Christ taught them in this lesson that the natural provisions of God for man had been perverted. And never did people enjoy the luxurious feasts prepared for the gratification of perverted taste as this people enjoyed the rest and the simple food which Christ provided so far from human habitations.  

This is so true. When we gratify appetite we can not appreciate the plain simple fare that brings health to our minds and bodies. There is so much sickness because of intemperance. If we struggle with changing our life long habits God is waiting to work with us as we surrender our hearts to Him and make decided changes in coming into obedience with His health laws. Even Ellen White struggled when giving up meat. She went hungry until she was able to handle a plate of food without meat. We need to come to the place where we would rather starve than to go against what God has asked us to do. Looking unto Jesus for victory over sinful habits we will receive help from above and be blessed with health and happiness, peace and joy.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2022, 07:44:40 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and Sister Dorine!

Donít let your mind dwell upon what you donít have, look to Jesus and trust His provision!

ďThe means in our possession may not seem to be sufficient for the work; but if we will move forward in faith, believing in the all-sufficient power of God, abundant resources will open before us. If the work be of God, He Himself will provide the means for its accomplishment. He will reward honest, simple reliance upon Him. The little that is wisely and economically used in the service of the Lord of heaven will increase in the very act of imparting. In the hand of Christ the small supply of food remained undiminished until the famished multitude were satisfied. If we go to the Source of all strength, with our hands of faith outstretched to receive, we shall be sustained in our work, even under the most forbidding circumstances, and shall be enabled to give to others the bread of life.Ē {The Desire of Ages, page 371, paragraph 1}

When we surrender the entire heart to Christ, He gives us a new heart filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Then by His divine grace, we are empowered to affectionately obey God, keeping His commandments in relational freedom! We will delight to give the bread of life to others!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2022, 10:11:09 PM »
"It is God who is every day feeding millions from earth's harvest fields."

"Men are called upon to co-operate with God in the care of the grain and the preparation of the loaf, and because of this...

"They lose sight of the divine agency."

"They do not give God the glory due unto His holy name."

"The working of His power is ascribed to natural causes or to human instrumentality."

"Man is glorified in place of God, and His gracious gifts are perverted to selfish uses, and made a curse instead of a blessing."

"God is seeking to change all this."

"He desires that our dull senses shall be quickened to discern His merciful kindness and to glorify Him for the working of His power.

"He desires us to recognize Him in His gifts, that they may be, as He intended, a blessing to us."

"It was to accomplish this purpose that the miracles of Christ were performed."

It is my prayer and hopefully yours also " that our dull senses shall be quickened to discern His merciful kindness and to glorify Him for the working of His power. "

====================

Break Thou the Bread of Life,
  Dear Lord, to me,
As Thou didst break the loaves
  Beside the sea;
Beyond the sacred page
  I seek Thee, Lord;
My spirit pants for Thee,
  O Living Word.
Thou art the Bread of Life,
  O Lord, to me,
Thy holy Word the truth
  That saveth me;
Give me to eat and live
  With Thee above;
Teach me to love Thy truth,
  For Thou art Love.
Oh, send Thy Spirit, Lord,
  Now unto me,
That He may touch my eyes,
  And make me see;
Show me the truth concealed
  Within Thy Word,
And in Thy Book revealed
  I see the Lord.
Bless Thou the truth, dear Lord,
  To me, to me,
As Thou didst bless the bread
  By Galilee;
Then shall all bondage cease,
  All fetters fall,
And I shall find my peace,
  My All in all.

Lyrics:Mary Artemesia Lathbury (1841-1913)
Music:William Fiske Sherwin (1826-1888)

Dorine

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2022, 05:26:26 AM »
"When the question comes home to your heart, "Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat?" let not your answer be the response of unbelief. When the disciples heard the Saviour's direction, "Give ye them to eat," all the difficulties arose in their minds. They questioned, Shall we go away into the villages to buy food? So now, when the people are destitute of the bread of life, the Lord's children question, Shall we send for someone from afar, to come and feed them? But what said Christ? "Make the men sit down," and He fed them there. So when you are surrounded by souls in need, know that Christ is there. Commune with Him. Bring your barley loaves to Jesus."

Jesus never fails and His promises are sure when we come to Him in trust.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2022, 06:04:34 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!! We often sing the hymn you referred to, Brother Beacon, when we have communion in one of the churches where I pastor! Christ is truly the Bread of Life!!

What a joy it is to simplify our wants and come into harmony with God's loving purpose to bless others with a saving knowledge of His character so that they can be in constant union and communion with Christ! Such a living experience of faith will be manifest with all of the fruits of the Spirit in the life without one missing as we are empowered to obey God's law from the heart!

"If men today were simple in their habits, living in harmony with nature's laws, as did Adam and Eve in the beginning, there would be an abundant supply for the needs of the human family. There would be fewer imaginary wants, and more opportunities to work in God's ways. But selfishness and the indulgence of unnatural taste have brought sin and misery into the world, from excess on the one hand, and from want on the other." {The Desire of Ages, page 367, paragraph 1}

As we let the Lord simplify our habits, remove imaginary wants, and weed all vanity from our lives, we find great joy in His service, for He Himself is the Provider of all of our needs! May you let the Holy Spirit, by the word of God, revitalize your life in the joy of divine communion accompanied by the blessedness of finding ways to share what God has given you with others!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2022, 08:37:27 PM »
"The little that is wisely and economically used in the service of the Lord of heaven will increase in the very act of imparting."

"In the hand of Christ the small supply of food remained undiminished until the famished multitude were satisfied."

"If we go to the Source of all strength, with our hands of faith outstretched to receive, we shall be sustained in our work, even under the most forbidding circumstances, and shall be enabled to give to others the bread of life."

"The simple food passed round by the hands of the disciples contained a whole treasure of lessons."

"It was humble fare that had been provided. "

"The fishes and barley loaves were the daily food of the fisher folk about the Sea of Galilee."

"Christ could have spread before the people a rich repast, but food prepared merely for the gratification of appetite would have conveyed no lesson for their good."

If we wish to be a true blessing to others we also should be satisfied with simple food prepared in a wholesome manner ( this message is truly for ME also!! )

==============================

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2022, 06:36:30 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Praise the Lord for the blessing of getting to work according to our ability, rather than think we cannot do something because we may not have the skills others do. God has a place for us in His service, and He loves to have us share the word of life--the bread from heaven--so others can be truly nourished in God's way. Let us yield fully to Christ and abide in His love so all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we are empowered to obey God out of love!

"In our work for God there is danger of relying too largely upon what man with his talents and ability can do. Thus we lose sight of the one Master Worker. Too often the worker for Christ fails to realize his personal responsibility. He is in danger of shifting his burden upon organizations, instead of relying upon Him who is the source of all strength. It is a great mistake to trust in human wisdom or numbers in the work of God. Successful work for Christ depends not so much on numbers or talent as upon pureness of purpose, the true simplicity of earnest, dependent faith. Personal responsibilities must be borne, personal duties must be taken up, personal efforts must be made for those who do not know Christ. In the place of shifting your responsibility upon someone whom you think more richly endowed than you are, work according to your ability." {The Desire of Ages, page 370, paragraph 2}

Let us do what God gives us the ability to do, and do it cheerfully!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2022, 09:58:32 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! In in giving to others what God has given to us, He will impart more to us. In today's reading, as Brother Beacon has pointed out, we are to give that we might receive. What was not said is that this applies to grace as well. God has forgiven us and therefore, we will forgive others if we love the Lord our God with all of the heart.

In Christ's act of supplying the temporal necessities of a hungry multitude is wrapped up a deep spiritual lesson for all His workers. Christ received from the Father; He imparted to the disciples; they imparted to the multitude; and the people to one another. So all who are united to Christ will receive from Him the bread of life, the heavenly food, and impart it to others.   
     In full reliance upon God, Jesus took the small store of loaves; and although there was but a small portion for His own family of disciples, He did not invite them to eat, but began to distribute to them, bidding them serve the people. The food multiplied in His hands; and the hands of the disciples, reaching out to Christ Himself the Bread of
Life, were never empty. The little store was sufficient for all. After the wants of the people had been supplied, the fragments were gathered up, and Christ and His disciples ate together of the precious, Heaven-supplied food.   
     The disciples were the channel of communication between Christ and the people. This should be a great encouragement to His disciples today. Christ is the great center, the source of all strength. His disciples are to receive their supplies from Him. The most intelligent, the most spiritually minded, can bestow only as they receive. Of themselves they can supply nothing for the needs of the soul. We can impart only that which we receive from Christ; and we can receive only as we impart to others. As we continue imparting, we continue to receive; and the more we impart, the more we shall receive. Thus we may be constantly believing, trusting, receiving, and imparting.   

Amen, both temporal food and spiritual food.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.