Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--38--Come Rest Awhile  (Read 14869 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--38--Come Rest Awhile
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2020, 06:34:53 AM »
   "In all who are under the training of God is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices; and everyone needs to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God. We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10. Here alone can true rest be found.  And this is the effectual preparation for all who labor for God. Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts."

Oh the wonderful blessings of knowing Jesus. He is changing us moment by moment as we walk with Him in surrender of self. On this Sabbath day He bids us, "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10. This is an invitation I do not want to pass up for I want to know my God as He wants me to know Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2020, 07:21:15 AM »
"The rest which Christ and His disciples took was not self-indulgent rest. The time they spent in retirement was not devoted to pleasure seeking. They talked together regarding the work of God, and the possibility of bringing greater efficiency to the work. The disciples had been with Christ, and could understand Him; to them He need not talk in parables. He corrected their errors, and made plain to them the right way of approaching the people. He opened more fully to them the precious treasures of divine truth. They were vitalized by divine power, and inspired with hope and courage."

Here we see a very important principle --- The "REST" of which Jesus was speaking about was not to be used for one's own pleasure seeking but for a time of prayer, a time of spiritual reflection and thanksgiving. All of which will bless us with a renewed sense of trust and commitment.

"Though Jesus could work miracles, and had empowered His disciples to work miracles, He directed His worn servants to go apart into the country and rest. When He said that the harvest was great, and the laborers were few, He did not urge upon His disciples the necessity of ceaseless toil, but said, "Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He will send forth laborers into His harvest." Matthew 9:38. God has appointed to every man his work, according to his ability (Ephesians 4:11-13), and He would not have a few weighted with responsibilities while others have no burden, no travail of soul."

COUNT YOUR MANY BLESSINGS, NAME THE ONE BY ONE, AND IT WILL SURPRISE YOU WHAT THE LORD HAS DONE.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2020, 04:21:39 AM »
"Come ye yourselves apart," He bids us. If we would give heed to His word, we should be stronger and more useful. The disciples sought Jesus, and told Him all things; and He encouraged and instructed them. If today we would take time to go to Jesus and tell Him our needs, we should not be disappointed; He would be at our right hand to help us. We need more simplicity, more trust and confidence in our Saviour. He whose name is called "The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace;" He of whom it is written, "The government shall be upon His shoulder," is the Wonderful Counselor. We are invited to ask wisdom of Him. He "giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not." Isaiah 9:6; James 1:5.

These early hours with Jesus are so precious. We live in challenging times and these words of comfort and encouragement should bring peace to our hearts. The Holy Spirit will fill our hearts and lives and give us direction for each new day. Some are heavily burdened more than others. They especially need to heed the counsel this chapter gives. When we are perplexed about which way to turn let's remember God's promise to be with us and help us when we ask. We do not do this enough. When we do our lives will be shine with joy as we share Jesus with others.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2020, 06:04:57 AM »
Amen dear sister! Over over again, I realize I need to be closer and closer to Jesus. I need to commune more with Him continually. My mind gets involved with things and I forget God.   :(      He is there to help. Even when I ask Him for help, and He gives it, if it is later instead of immediate, I may forget it is an answer to my prayer. How shameful! What is the solution?

In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours.

We are so slow to learn!! Yet God loves us and does not leave us to our own wisdom which is foolishness.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2020, 06:28:55 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Richard!!

What a joy it is to become like Jesus! This is why Jesus left heaven--to offer us His perfect life by His shed blood and to give us the example of His sinless life so that by continual union and communion with Him, we may become like Him in mind and character whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing!

"In a life wholly devoted to the good of others, the Saviour found it necessary to withdraw from the thoroughfares of travel and from the throng that followed Him day after day. He must turn aside from a life of ceaseless activity and contact with human needs, to seek retirement and unbroken communion with His Father. As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul. In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy." {The Desire of Ages, page 362, paragraph 4}

We can give Jesus anything and everything that we are going through! There is no need to carry burdens that He has not placed upon us, but at the same time we can appreciate that He will impart all the strength and grace that we need to do His will on a moment-by-moment basis!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2020, 08:06:28 AM »
As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He ( Jesus ) was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul.

"In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy."

"In a life wholly devoted to the good of others, the Saviour found it necessary to withdraw from the thoroughfares of travel and from the throng that followed Him day after day. He must turn aside from a life of ceaseless activity and contact with human needs, to seek retirement and unbroken communion with His Father."

If Jesus found it necessary to turn aside to commune with His Heavenly Father, how much more so do we need to do the same?

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2020, 07:49:47 AM »
"In all who are under the training of God is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices; and everyone needs to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God. We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, 'Be still, and know that I am God.' Psalm 46:10.

Here alone can true rest be found. 

And this is the effectual preparation for all who labor for God. Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts."

We need to remember at all times that Jesus said in John 15:5

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2021, 06:13:21 AM »
To be trained for heaven means emancipation from ideas, habits, customs and practices that have been gained in the school of unbelief in a fallen world. We need time to be with God so He can individually speak to our hearts, giving us rest as we find restoration in the scenes of nature and better grasping the experience of our own hearts that need continually to be renewed by divine grace. As we yield fully to Christ, He imputes and imparts to us of His righteousness, imbuing us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so not one of the traits of the divine nature is missing as we affectionately obey the law of God!

"In all who are under the training of God is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices; and everyone needs to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God. We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, 'Be still, and know that I am God.' Psalm 46:10. Here alone can true rest be found.  And this is the effectual preparation for all who labor for God. Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts." {The Desire of Ages, page 363, paragraph 3}

There are souls all around us through whom our loving Savior desires to speak a word in season by working in and through us. As we fellowship with Christ, the holy angels, and those also who are seeking the Lord wholeheartedly, we can go forth refreshed in harmony with God as missionaries to a dying world, that our lives may be a living invitation of the life that is lived in harmony with God in purity, holiness, and true moral worth evinced in the love and purity found in Christ who abides in us, the hope of glory!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2021, 06:39:07 AM »
  "In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours.

We too need the heavenly charged current that connects us with heaven and with lost souls. We may come to Him continually with our disappointments, failures and mistakes just as the disciples did and He will fill us with renewed energy as we move forward in search of lost souls. What a comforting promise.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2021, 06:46:13 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine! How so very true, we cannot impart life to the lost unless we have continual communion with God. I am now understanding this better than ever before. If we want to experience the joy of saving the lost, we need to be connected with Jesus continually lest we forget why we are left on this Earth.

Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world.

Amen Pastor Sean!  In today's world, it is not easy for many to find a quiet place. But, so it was for Daniel who worked in the courts of Babylon. He went home at noon to find a quiet place where he could commune with God. In him was seen the divine power that reached out to those around including the kings whom he served.

It is a blessing to hear the Words of Jesus when He said "The harvest truly [is] plenteous, but the labourers [are] few;  Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He will send forth laborers into His harvest." It is present truth in our day more than then. The harvest field is indeed very ripe. As never before we are finding so very many who are open to truth. And, as then, today the laborers are few.

Though Jesus could work miracles, and had empowered His disciples to work miracles, He directed His worn servants to go apart into the country and rest. When He said that the harvest was great, and the laborers were few, He did not urge upon His disciples the necessity of ceaseless toil, but said, "Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He will send forth laborers into His harvest." Matthew 9:38. God has appointed to every man his work, according to his ability (Ephesians 4:11-13), and He would not have a few weighted with responsibilities while others have no burden, no travail of soul. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2021, 07:01:20 AM »
"The rest which Christ and His disciples took was not self-indulgent rest.

The time they spent in retirement was not devoted to pleasure seeking. They talked together regarding the work of God, and the possibility of bringing greater efficiency to the work.
The disciples had been with Christ, and could understand Him; to them He need not talk in parables. He corrected their errors, and made plain to them the right way of approaching the people. He opened more fully to them the precious treasures of divine truth.

They were vitalized by divine power, and inspired with hope and courage."

"Though Jesus could work miracles, and had empowered His disciples to work miracles, He directed His worn servants to go apart into the country and rest. When He said that the harvest was great, and the laborers were few, He did not urge upon His disciples the necessity of ceaseless toil, but said, "Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He will send forth laborers into His harvest." Matthew 9:38.

"He would not have a few weighted with responsibilities while others have no burden, no travail of soul."

Mark 6:30-32 says, "And the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught. And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. And they departed into a desert place by ship privately.

This passage reminds me of the words of the song "Take Time To Be Holy" by William Longstaff

Take time to behold Him,
  Speak oft with Thy Lord,
Abide in Him always,
  And feed on His Word.
Wait thou in His presence,
  Submissive and meek,
Forgetting in nothing
  His blessing to seek.
Take time to behold Him,
  The world rushes on;
Spend much time in secret
  With Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus
  Like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends, in thy conduct,
  His likeness shall see.

May this be Our Prayer Today & Everyday

Philip T

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2021, 07:59:32 AM »
God has appointed to every man his work, according to his ability (Ephesians 4:11-13), and He would not have a few weighted with responsibilities while others have no burden, no travail of soul.
     In the estimation of the rabbis it was the sum of religion to be always in a bustle of activity. They depended upon some outward performance to show their superior piety. Thus they separated their souls from God, and built themselves up in self-sufficiency. The same dangers still exist. As activity increases and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is danger of trusting to human plans and methods. There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith. Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity. We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work. While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good.

While laboring for God we need to take time to connect with Jesus through prayer, reading scripture, and meditating on what God would have us to do through the unction of the Holy Spirit.  When offered more responsibility in Christs work by the church we need to take time to do this and see if this is Gods work for us. If the answer after prayer and meditation on the word is no, then we need to say no so we do not become overworked, of if we need rest we need to take it. The Lord would not have us overburdened to the point it becomes a threat spiritually or physically.
After his mount Carmel experience, Elijah worn fled from Jezebel into the wilderness, and God let him rest at the brook of Cherith and then with the widow; however, when he was rested God called him back into service with a "Still small voice", and he will do that for us also. I know this because it happened to me, and after a time of rest I heard the Lord telling me to return to my work in His army.
God has an appointed work for each one of us, and that is the work we should be doing

Dorine

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2021, 05:25:55 AM »
"In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours."

When we give all to God and keep the line of communion open between us continually our lives will be filled with all His attributes. When we allow anything to break that connection even for a day we are left to struggle on our own. He enters only on invitation. He has so much to teach us but sometimes because of selfishness, neglect or allowing the crucibles of life to drag us down, we are not ready to receive it. If Jesus needed that time with His Father how much more do we? May God help each of us to stay true to Him by keeping our eyes on Jesus.

Beacon

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2021, 07:30:12 AM »
"As activity increases and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is danger of trusting to human plans and methods. There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith.

Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity...We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work."

Jesus said in " Matthew 11:28-30 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

First Jesus says...." Come " and then when we are fully "charged up" He says..."GO" and teach whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

Are we willing to follow His Divine Instructions?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2021, 07:43:16 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!

What pattern of life are you seeking to follow? In this world, the ruling motive is selfishness, but in God's kingdom the ruling motive is self-sacrifice. We need to come aside and rest awhile with Jesus to unlearn the ways of this world, yield the whole heart to Him as we are moved by the grace of His loveliness of character, and in true conversion experience the depth of rest and surrender that only comes from union and communion with Him. May you find true rest in complete surrender to Christ, and learn precious lessons in nature, the word of God, and by the moving of His Spirit upon your heart. Then from the heart renewed and refreshed by union and communion with Christ will flow forth spontaneously all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as you gladly go forth in humble obedience to the law of God, the definition of relational happiness with God and others!

"In all who are under the training of God is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices; and everyone needs to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God. We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, 'Be still, and know that I am God.' Psalm 46:10. Here alone can true rest be found.  And this is the effectual preparation for all who labor for God. Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts." {The Desire of Ages, page 363, paragraph 3}

May Jesus speak through you today because there are many more who have yet to come to experience all that God offers, and no matter how sweet and genuine our relationship with Jesus is now, He has infinitely more to give us of the overflow of His grace!

Philip T

« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2021, 08:37:03 AM »
The disciples came to Jesus and told Him all things. Their intimate relationship with Him encouraged them to lay before Him their favorable and unfavorable experiences, their joy at seeing results from their labors, and their sorrow at their failures, their faults, and their weaknesses. They had committed errors in their first work as evangelists, and as they frankly told Christ of their experiences, He saw that they needed much instruction. He saw, too, that they had become weary in their labors, and that they needed to rest.

Upon returning from their 1st missionary trip the disciple told all to Jesus, there success there failures, their faith and their doubts. Their good and bad experiences, their joy and their sadness.  We should do the same in prayer to Jesus, telling him not only our failures, but our success's as well. We should thank Jesus for our blessings. Jesus is the one who gives us strength to overcome, so we should be in prayer constantly, letting him know the state of our lives.

Beacon

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2021, 08:43:27 PM »
"While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good."

"If today we would take time to go to Jesus and tell Him our needs, we should not be disappointed."

"He would be at our right hand to help us. We need more simplicity, more trust and confidence in our Saviour. He whose name is called "The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace;" He of whom it is written, "The government shall be upon His shoulder," is the Wonderful Counselor. We are invited to ask wisdom of Him. He "giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not." Isaiah 9:6; James 1:5."

Our prayer of surrender and dedication every day should be....

1.Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.

Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.

Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose.

Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne.

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)

[/size]
[/b]

Dorine

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2021, 04:38:50 AM »
"In the estimation of the rabbis it was the sum of religion to be always in a bustle of activity. They depended upon some outward performance to show their superior piety. Thus they separated their souls from God, and built themselves up in self-sufficiency. The same dangers still exist. As activity increases and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is danger of trusting to human plans and methods. There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith. Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity. We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work. While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good."
The church is feeble because individuals are not taking the time to spend with God in bible study, prayer and sharing the blessings God has revealed to them. One day the church will wake up and will end in a blaze of glory. May we be a part of hastening Christ's return by keeping that close connection with Jesus and spreading the good news to lost souls.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2021, 06:59:55 AM »
Amen brother and sister!  We need to be careful that we lose track of Jesus. Too often ministers are so busy they have no time for their personal devotions. They and their families suffer when Jesus is lost sight of.

Christ's words of compassion are spoken to His workers today just as surely as they were spoken to His disciples. "Come ye yourselves apart, . . . and rest awhile," He says to those who are worn and weary. It is not wise to be always under the strain of work and excitement, even in ministering to men's spiritual needs; for in this way personal piety is neglected, and the powers of mind and soul and body are overtaxed. Self-denial is required of the disciples of Christ, and sacrifices must be made; but care must also be exercised lest through their overzeal Satan take advantage of the weakness of humanity, and the work of God be marred. 

Sanctification is the work of a lifetime of daily surrender. For it is through practicing the truth that we are continually made holy. When we let our mind wander away from Jesus we cannot be sanctified because we no longer have the power of God to obey the truth. Let us pray that God will send workers into His vineyard since the harvest is white and ready to bring into the church.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2021, 02:07:04 AM »
You are infinitely loved by Jesus, and He desires to give you a life like His. How? By giving you constant union and communion with Himself. As we come aside to rest awhile and listen to His still, small voice, He will teach us individually and personally what to do by the Holy Spirit!

As we get to know Jesus in a personal way by surrendering our will to Him, we can find truest joy in constantly allowing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing to be manifest in our character experience, for Christ in us, the hope of glory, will guide us in the path of true obedience that comes from the heart!