Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--38--Come Rest Awhile  (Read 14868 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--38--Come Rest Awhile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 08:03:32 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. I too was impressed with that very same paragraph. We need Jesus continually in order to have joy and peace in our lives. Why would we not want His help? What a blessing to have a loving powerful God who is at our right hand continually.

In a life wholly devoted to the good of others, the Saviour found it necessary to withdraw from the thoroughfares of travel and from the throng that followed Him day after day. He must turn aside from a life of ceaseless activity and contact with human needs, to seek retirement and unbroken communion with His Father. As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul. In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy.  life wholly devoted to the good of others, the Saviour found it necessary to withdraw from the thoroughfares of travel and from the throng that followed Him day after day. He must turn aside from a life of ceaseless activity and contact with human needs, to seek retirement and unbroken communion with His Father. As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul. In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 05:32:08 AM »
In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours.

What a thought! It seems so high and lofty and it is yet for every true Christian this is the case. Why? Because a Christian is more worried about the good of others than him or herself. May all of us have this experience is my prayer!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 05:47:08 AM »
Pastor Sean I read your thoughts from this past October on this chapter. I don't usually go back and read the past posts before I have posted mine but I'm glad I did this morning. What a blessing. Especially the quote you found from the Spalding and Megan collection. I love that verse in 2 Peter 1:5 A recipe for true growth in Christ.

This morning this quote spoke to me.

"We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, "Be still and know that I am God." Ps. 46:10. Here alone can true rest be found.....The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts."

Now that I have reached the Autumn of my life and my activity is limited by pain I often wonder what God would have me do. The hustle and bustle that this chapter speaks of is over for me. But He does not want me to sit idle and have a pity party. So as I was reading the Holy Spirit impressed me with the thought that God still uses me through the things I "can" do. He brings me in contact with people through the tomato plants I sell each year and I have started making scrap quilts to donate to our food bank. To get the scraps I have put a request on our local buy and sell for free scraps.

These are all contacts that God can use to keep me useful for Him. I mention this only because there may be some reading this in the same situation as I am and wondering if God can still use them. As long as we are still breathing He still needs us to show to others His love for them through the fruit of the Spirit. The counsel found in this chapter is for those of us who have slowed down because of age or physical malady as well as those in the full swing of Christian activity. We all need that continual communion with God to be able to impart life to the world.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 07:07:33 AM »
Amen dear sister! Each day as we behold Jesus, He is able to speak to our minds what He would have us to do. As we receive from Him, we are to impart to others. As Brother Jim has shared, we need to be in communion with Jesus as He was with His Father. "Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours."

God has entrusted to His church the most important message ever given to mankind, a message to take to a world soon to perish. It is the three angels message. It is a message of warning, but it begins with a message of hope, the gospel message.

The Lord has spoken to you, my dear sister. It is by beholding Jesus that we are transformed and live for Him. We want to reach the world with the truth for this day. But, He also has revealed to us that we are to minister to the physical needs of humanity that the hard heart might be softened, then the seed will take root and produce a bountiful harvest.

We will pray for your outreach to those in your part of the world.

Why do we make time to spend with Jesus each morning? Jesus tells us that we must feed upon Him who is the Manna which came down from heaven. But, in today's reading we see even more clearly a need we have that we must pay attention to.

In the estimation of the rabbis it was the sum of religion to be always in a bustle of activity. They depended upon some outward performance to show their superior piety. Thus they separated their souls from God, and built themselves up in self-sufficiency. The same dangers still exist. As activity increases and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is danger of trusting to human plans and methods. There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith. Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity. We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work. While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good. 

As the Lord revealed to His disciples how they ought to pray, so do we pray. "Give us this day our daily bread." This is not just a request for food for the body, but it is a prayer for spiritual food the will refresh and cleanse the heart.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 07:58:24 AM »
Amen, Jim, Dorine, and Richard!

After I chose which part of our reading I was moved by, I noticed that Jim also was moved by this paragraph--what unity we are experiencing here in our little "remnant" family--but I know that there are others around the world who are reading with us, and I know that soon they will take courage and start sharing what Jesus is revealing to them, too!

Jesus is so precious to us! He is so tender and pitiful to us!

"In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours." {The Desire of Ages, page 363, paragraph 1}

As we spend this "thoughtful hour" with Jesus and pour out our souls to Jesus in earnest prayer, we are being given vital currents of the Holy Spirit--the imbuing of the divine nature, that not only will all of the fruits of the Spirit be seen in our lives without one missing, but the fruit will be richer and more abundant!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 06:09:56 AM »
We have a continual need for Jesus to indwell our hearts by the Holy Spirit so we can be at rest in Him and He can work through us with His power combining with our willing heart service. Jesus invites us today to come aside and rest awhile, to commune with Him, so we can be refreshed to be more efficient for good in blessing others and helping them to be ready for His glorious soon appearing!

"We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work. While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good." {The Desire of Ages, page 362, paragraph 2} 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »
Amen pastor Sean! by looking to Christ always it makes it possible to have a life of victory.

No other life was ever so crowded with labor and responsibility as was that of Jesus; yet how often He was found in prayer! How constant was His communion with God! Again and again in the history of His earthly life are found records such as these: "Rising up a great while before day, He went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed." "Great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by Him of their infirmities. And He withdrew Himself into the wilderness, and prayed." "And it came to pass in those days, that He went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God." Mark 1:35; Luke 5:15, 16; 6:12.

If I had to pick a weakness that a lot of Christians are tempted with, it would be the lack of prayer life. But if there ever was a time in history where prayer was important it is now. Satan seeking to devour everyone in his sight and it's only through Christ that we can resist him.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 09:27:11 AM »
Amen, Jim. It is the "still small voice" of God that we need to hear. Away from the bustle of the city, either in the quiet of the mountain (Jesus), or in privacy of the home (Daniel at morning, noon, and night), we are to seek this still small voice that speaks to the heart. Some think the Spirit speaking to the heart is Pentecostalism, but it is not. It is God that leads into all truth through His Word and the Holy Spirit. We must learn to discern His voice from Satan's and our own thoughts.

In all who are under the training of God is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices; and everyone needs to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God. We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10. Here alone can true rest be found.  And this is the effectual preparation for all who labor for God. Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts.  [/color

Amen!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »
I so much appreciate the chapters always pointing us to our continual need of Jesus. This chapter is telling us we must always take time to pray and study the life of Jesus. Working for God is not the same as communion with Him. We have nothing to give if we do not have an intimate connection with Christ.

In all who are under the training of God is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices; and everyone needs to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God. We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10. Here alone can true rest be found.  And this is the effectual preparation for all who labor for God. Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts. 

Amen. When we are fully surrendered to Christ, He will give us love, joy, and peace. Herein is true rest!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 03:11:13 PM »
Jesus exemplifies to us what life really is--union and communion with God for His infinite purposes of blessing to the universe. When we realize His infinite loveliness of character, we are elated to have the privilege to become partakers of the divine nature, entering into His experience moment-by-moment. When Christ's bride truly wants to do what God wants because love overflows in the heart, when the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within, we are ready for heaven, for we have heaven in our hearts. This "buy in" on the part of God's people is nothing short of a miracle--that those who once sought "to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season" (Hebrews 11:25) would rather suffer for Christ's dear sake. Let us realize how much we need unbroken time with God like Jesus did so that reality becomes so clear to us. Catch this--God and Christ, the way that we see Jesus lived, is REALITY. Everything and anything short of this is failure and eternal loss, and shows to us that salvation can only be through Christ and by Christ's character being imputed and imparted to us. What an incredible joy it is to have Him work this out in us as we, by beholding Him, are constantly changed from one degree of character to the next, all the while bearing all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing, living happily up to all the light of God's law that He has revealed to that point in our experience!

"In a life wholly devoted to the good of others, the Saviour found it necessary to withdraw from the thoroughfares of travel and from the throng that followed Him day after day. He must turn aside from a life of ceaseless activity and contact with human needs, to seek retirement and unbroken communion with His Father. As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul. In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy." {The Desire of Ages, page 362, paragraph 4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2018, 03:19:03 AM »
"In a life wholly devoted to the good of others, the Saviour found it necessary to withdraw from the thoroughfares of travel and from the throng that followed Him day after day. He must turn aside from a life of ceaseless activity and contact with human needs, to seek retirement and unbroken communion with His Father. As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul. In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy." {The Desire of Ages, page 362, paragraph 4}

We get to come aside with Jesus and experience the comfort and joy in His presence this Sabbath. As we look to Him and yield fully to Him, His peace that passes understanding, His love and joy and peace (with all of the fruits of the Spirit) will animate our lives and encourage us for what God has for us next in His perfect will. What a joy to know we have a Savior who understands our need to come aside and rest--to have unbroken communion with our Father in heaven. This experience is the greatest education and the highest method of development.

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2018, 05:02:38 AM »
"Come ye yourselves apart," He bids us. If we would give heed to His word, we should be stronger and more useful. The disciples sought Jesus, and told Him all things; and He encouraged and instructed them. If today we would take time to go to Jesus and tell Him our needs, we should not be disappointed; He would be at our right hand to help us. We need more simplicity, more trust and confidence in our Saviour. He whose name is called "The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace;" He of whom it is written, "The government shall be upon His shoulder," is the Wonderful Counselor. We are invited to ask wisdom of Him. He "giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not." Isaiah 9:6; James 1:5. 

As we all come apart this Sabbath day may we take to heart the words and counsel in this chapter. They bring such calm to the soul as we are reminded again of the everlasting love of Jesus. He wants the very best for us physically, mentally and spiritually but too often we put road blocks in His way because we choose our own desires. May we silence all other 'voices' today that we may hear the clear voice of Jesus speaking to us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 03:41:15 AM »
The powerful and touching picture of Christ's communion with the Father and the resulting strength that it brought to Him inspire us to find a like experience. We need His life to become ours, and we may have it as we learn of Him, spend time with Him, and allow His thoughts and feelings to transform our character into His likeness by the power of the gospel of His grace. There is no limit to this experience!! What a comfort and refreshment we find in His personal presence!!

"In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours." {The Desire of Ages, page 363, paragraph 1}

Continual communion means a continual revelation of the divine nature: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness, goodness, faith, and temperance. These attributes of His character will flow forth from our lives as long as we live by faith on Him, and learn to follow the inspired invitation moment-by-moment: "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 2:5). 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 05:00:18 AM »
Amen pastor Sean!

Just this past weekend I listened to someone talk about how in the beginning of his Christian journey he still struggled with the picture in his mind that God the Father was someone who was waiting to keep you out of heaven. Jesus was good! He loved Jesus but was wary of the Father. This is not something new but look at this.

In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity.

The Father is of infinite pity. In another place she calls Him the fountain of all affection. What a loving God we serve. This is why Jesus said that if you've seen Him you've seen the Father.

Dorine

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 06:17:30 AM »
"In the estimation of the rabbis it was the sum of religion to be always in a bustle of activity. They depended upon some outward performance to show their superior piety. Thus they separated their souls from God, and built themselves up in self-sufficiency. The same dangers still exist. As activity increases and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is danger of trusting to human plans and methods. There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith. Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity. We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work. While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good."

I am reminded again this morning of how much I need Jesus. I am so thankful for His wonderful promises to supply my every need"We are invited to ask wisdom of Him. He "giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not." Isa. 9:6; James 1:5.

God wants to do a mighty work in us and through us; individually and corporately. But it must start in the individual heart. Maybe that is why we are seeing so many running here and there looking for a 'new' way to reach people for Christ and to feel good about their own condition. It seems that Christ's methods have become 'old' and 'stuffy'.Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will, in the end, prove to have been efficient for good."

Beacon

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
 "While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good.".

It is not about "US" it's about "Jesus" and how He will bless us through the power of the Holy Spirit to bless "Others". In our degenerated human physical limitations Jesus recognized our need for Rest & Recuperation and we should be willing to acknowledge that our Creator knows what is best for His human family. We should also avoid all human praise making sure that all of our relationships point to the only source of Grace, Mercy, and healing power both spiritually and physically.

"As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul. In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 08:08:50 AM »
While composing my post yesterday, it turned into our January Newsletter.   And, I ran out of time. So, I am a day late.

Sister Dorine shared the paragraph that got my attention.

In the estimation of the rabbis it was the sum of religion to be always in a bustle of activity. They depended upon some outward performance to show their superior piety. Thus they separated their souls from God, and built themselves up in self-sufficiency. The same dangers still exist. As activity increases and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is danger of trusting to human plans and methods. There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith. Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity. We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work. While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good. 

It is easy to forget that God is with us and it is Him that empowers our success, not we ourselves. Not that we want to forget Him or that we take the glory to ourselves, but that we need Him in order to be successful at our work for Him. We cannot give to others what we do not have. We need the Holy Spirit working in and through in order to glorify God. When the world sees Christ in us, then we give glory to God. When He is not vitally connected with us, we cannot give glory to Him even though we may appear to be doing a good work.

We need to be in an attitude of prayer continually. May we not forget Jesus today.

Beacon

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 08:34:42 PM »
"In all who are under the training of God is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices; and everyone needs to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God. We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10."

Remember....Isa. 40:31 says. "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles;they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

"Here alone can true rest be found.  And this is the effectual preparation for all who labor for God. Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2019, 07:47:55 AM »
Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace.

Amen Brother Beacon! I am so thankful for this beautiful revelation of Christ in Desire of Ages. When beholding Jesus, I am refreshed and lifted above the intense activity in this world!!

My prayer for many years has been that God would send workers into His vineyard. The harvest field is white. We are seeing this more and more. Yet, where are the workers? He is preparing them!

Though Jesus could work miracles, and had empowered His disciples to work miracles, He directed His worn servants to go apart into the country and rest. When He said that the harvest was great, and the laborers were few, He did not urge upon His disciples the necessity of ceaseless toil, but said, "Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He will send forth laborers into His harvest." Matthew 9:38. God has appointed to every man his work, according to his ability (Ephesians 4:11-13), and He would not have a few weighted with responsibilities while others have no burden, no travail of soul. 

"He will send forth laborers into His harvest." Amen!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2019, 10:33:17 AM »
Amen, Beacon and Richard!

God invites us to come aside in union and communion with Him so that we may be stronger and more useful, so that our labors bear the image of His Spirit working through us, and Christ is glorified. May we learn the importance of this experience more fully each day as Jesus prepares us help others prepare for heaven!

"As the disciples had seen the success of their labors, they were in danger of taking credit to themselves, in danger of cherishing spiritual pride, and thus falling under Satan's temptations. A great work was before them, and first of all they must learn that their strength was not in self, but in God. Like Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, like David among the hills of Judea, or Elijah by the brook Cherith, the disciples needed to come apart from the scenes of their busy activity, to commune with Christ, with nature, and with their own hearts." {The Desire of Ages, page 360, paragraph 2}

Communing with Christ, with nature and with our own hearts is a wonderful way for us to truly know and be known by God. Christ shows us His great sacrifice and the infinite love of God in a personal, intimate way. In nature He reveals to us precious lessons of trust. And as God allows us to truly examine our own hearts, we are brought to see that there is nothing good in us by nature and that we need Him continually to give us a new heart and a new mind that will enable us to overcome all hereditary and cultivated tendencies to evil by the power of the gospel!