Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--38--Come Rest Awhile  (Read 15699 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--38--Come Rest Awhile
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2023, 10:14:31 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!!

Jesus' invitation is open to you today! He knows that we often get so busy that it seems challenging to have meaningful time to be with Him, so He graciously calls us to come and commune with Him to be strengthened to do His will through His abiding presence!

"'Come ye yourselves apart,' He bids us. If we would give heed to His word, we should be stronger and more useful. The disciples sought Jesus, and told Him all things; and He encouraged and instructed them. If today we would take time to go to Jesus and tell Him our needs, we should not be disappointed; He would be at our right hand to help us. We need more simplicity, more trust and confidence in our Saviour. He whose name is called 'The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace;' He of whom it is written, 'The government shall be upon His shoulder,' is the Wonderful Counselor. We are invited to ask wisdom of Him. He 'giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not.' Isaiah 9:6; James 1:5." {The Desire of Ages, page 363, paragraph 2}

As we come to Christ just as we are, opening our whole heart to His life and character, it is in total surrender to Him that we experience all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, for the abiding Savior also empowers us to obey Him from the heart up to the light He has revealed! Praise God for the time we can take with Jesus to grow more like Him! His desire is to make us truly happy in His will and way!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2023, 03:45:07 AM »
Happy Sabbath! We can enter into the experience of Jesus by beholding Him, surrendering fully to Him, and abiding in Him! Let us today grow in His grace and allow the Holy Spirit to produce in us all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! True obedience to God's law of love, the Ten Commandments, in His service will be our highest delight as we stay vitally connected to Jesus!

"In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours." {The Desire of Ages, page 363, paragraph 1}

"Though He were a Son, yet learned He obedience by the things which He suffered" (Hebrews 5:8 ).
Whatever trials we face, we can receive them in Christ as educators to help us enjoy even deeper rest, stronger character capacity to resist temptation, and preparation for service that is found only in complete acquiescence to God's will! Praise God!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2023, 05:34:46 AM »
"In all who are under the training of God is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices."

"Everyone needs to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God."

"We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart."

"When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God."

"He bids us, "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10."

"Here alone can true rest be found."

"And this is the effectual preparation for all who labor for God."

"Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts."

Are "WE" willing to take time be Holy?? Remember the old adage " You cannot give what you haven't got.?

=====================
Beneath the cross of Jesus
  I fain would take my stand,
The shadow of a mighty Rock
  Within a weary land;
A home within the wilderness,
  A rest upon the way,
From the burning of the noontide heat,
  And the burden of the day.
Oh, safe and happy shelter!
  Oh, refuge tried and sweet!
Oh, trysting place where heaven’s love
  And heaven’s justice meet.
As to the holy patriarch
  That wondrous dream was given,
So is my Savior by the cross
  A ladder up to heaven.
There lies beneath its shadow,
  But on the farther side,
The darkness of an awful grave
  That gapes both deep and wide;
And there between us stands the cross,
  Two arms outstretched to save,
Like a watchman set to guard the way
  From that eternal grave.
Upon that cross of Jesus
  Mine eye at times can see
The very dying form of One,
  Who suffered there for me;
And from my smitten heart, with tears,
  Two wonders I confess,
The wonders of His glorious love,
  And my own worthlessness.
I take, O cross, thy shadow
  For my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than
  The sunshine of His face;
Content to let the world go by,
  To know no gain nor loss,
My sinful self my only shame,
  My glory all the cross.

Lyrics:Elizabeth Cecilia Clephane (1830-1869)
Music:Frederick Charles Maker (1844-1927)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2023, 08:43:43 AM »
Amen my dear brothers! Such beautiful truths we have been given!!

In the estimation of the rabbis it was the sum of religion to be always in a bustle of activity. They depended upon some outward performance to show their superior piety. Thus they separated their souls from God, and built themselves up in self-sufficiency. The same dangers still exist. As activity increases and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is danger of trusting to human plans and methods. There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith. Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity. We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work. While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good. 

If we want to give glory to God, then we must maintain our connection with Him. Take time for study and prayer. We need to keep our eyes upon Jesus that we might glorify Him in our lives.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2023, 08:00:51 PM »
"There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith".

"Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity"

"We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work".

"While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God."

"Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good."

============================

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics:John Bowring (1792-1872)
Music:Ithamar Conkey (1815-1867)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2023, 04:05:56 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Let us pray MORE as we see Jesus' example in full-time ministry!

What a gift! Christ is able to give us His experience of character victory!

"In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours." {The Desire of Ages, page 363, paragraph 1}

Let us come to Christ just as we are, behold His infinite loveliness, trust fully in His divine grace by a full-heart surrender, and allow all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing to flow through our lives as the result of constant union and communion of our souls with Him! Gladly we can obey the One who gave all heaven to save us in Jesus!

Dorine

« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2023, 05:09:11 AM »
"In a life wholly devoted to the good of others, the Saviour found it necessary to withdraw from the thoroughfares of travel and from the throng that followed Him day after day. He must turn aside from a life of ceaseless activity and contact with human needs, to seek retirement and unbroken communion with His Father. As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul. In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy.     
In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours."

Here is our example for a balanced life of service, victory, rest, and peace. We are complete in Jesus.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2024, 08:00:47 PM »

"Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seek to make a savior of our activity"

"We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work".

"While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God."

"Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good."

Sometimes "WE" become so "BUSY,"  "Being Under Satan's Yoke"... that  "WE" forget to take time for Meditation, Prayer and the study of the Word of God. and then we wonder why "WE" have soo little Spiritual Power!! How are "WE" using every 24 hours in daily life?? 

============================

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics:John Bowring (1792-1872)
Music:Ithamar Conkey (1815-1867)

Dorine

« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2024, 05:10:10 AM »
"In a life wholly devoted to the good of others, the Saviour found it necessary to withdraw from the thoroughfares of travel and from the throng that followed Him day after day. He must turn aside from a life of ceaseless activity and contact with human needs, to seek retirement and unbroken communion with His Father. As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul. In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy."
And this is where we find our comfort and joy also. This is a cherished time of the day for me and I want to linger as long as possible. When life becomes more than our finite minds can unravel it's in the quiet presence of Jesus that we find peace and comfort and power to face another day that God has given to us. Keep our eyes on Jesus as He leads the way today making our path possible to travel.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2024, 06:32:08 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

To just be quiet and still--are we willing to take the time? God has precious things to speak to us if we will but put Him first and allow His word to speak to our hearts, preparing us for His plans for each day! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be revealed in a life that is surrendered and in harmony with God's law of love. Let us daily choose to come aside and rest awhile in the loving presence of Jesus!

"In all who are under the training of God is to be revealed a life that is not in harmony with the world, its customs, or its practices; and everyone needs to have a personal experience in obtaining a knowledge of the will of God. We must individually hear Him speaking to the heart. When every other voice is hushed, and in quietness we wait before Him, the silence of the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. He bids us, 'Be still, and know that I am God.' Psalm 46:10. Here alone can true rest be found. And this is the effectual preparation for all who labor for God. Amid the hurrying throng, and the strain of life's intense activities, the soul that is thus refreshed will be surrounded with an atmosphere of light and peace. The life will breathe out fragrance, and will reveal a divine power that will reach men's hearts." {The Desire of Ages, page 363, paragraph 3}

Philip T

« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2024, 08:14:27 AM »
  In the estimation of the rabbis it was the sum of religion to be always in a bustle of activity. They depended upon some outward performance to show their superior piety. Thus they separated their souls from God, and built themselves up in self-sufficiency. The same dangers still exist. As activity increases and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is danger of trusting to human plans and methods. There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith. Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity. We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work. While we are to labor earnestly for the salvation of the lost, we must also take time for meditation, for prayer, and for the study of the word of God. Only the work accomplished with much prayer, and sanctified by the merit of Christ, will in the end prove to have been efficient for good.

Oh, the wisdom in these words, I would echo Diane this morning, we must take time to spend with God, in devotions, prayer, time in God's word the Bible. We must not depend on self but lean on Jesus to sustain us.  We must realize our need and take time for a one-on-one relationship with Jesus. In Patriarchs and Prophets, we read Enoch would work for God and then retire to the wilderness and spend time alone with God, before returning to his work among the people.

Beacon

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2024, 08:04:59 PM »
"As activity increases and men become successful in doing any work for God, there is danger of trusting to human plans and methods."

"There is a tendency to pray less, and to have less faith." 

"Like the disciples, we are in danger of losing sight of our dependence on God, and seeking to make a savior of our activity." "

"We need to look constantly to Jesus, realizing that it is His power which does the work."

Let "US" raise our voices in Praise and Prayer to Him for Jesus said..." Without Me Ye Can Do Nothing"

=================================
Praise Him! praise Him! Jesus, our blessed Redeemer!
  Sing, ye saints! His wonderful love proclaim!
Hail Him! hail Him! mightiest angels in glory;
  Strength and honor give to His holy name!
Like a shepherd, Jesus will feed His people,
  In His arms He carries them all day long;
O ye saints that live in the light of His presence,
  Praise Him! praise Him! ever in joyful song!
Praise Him! praise Him! Jesus, our blessed Redeemer,
  For our sins He suffered and bled and died;
He, our Rock, our Hope of eternal salvation,
  Hail Him! hail Him! Jesus, the Crucified;
Loving Savior, meekly enduring sorrow,
  Crowned with thorns that cruelly pierced His brow;
Once for us rejected, despised, and forsaken,
  Prince of Glory, ever triumphant now.
Praise Him! praise Him! Jesus, our blessed Redeemer,
  Heavenly portals, loud with hosannahs ring!
Jesus, Savior, reigneth for ever and ever;
  Crown Him! crown Him! Prophet and Priest and King!
Death is vanquished! Tell it with joy, ye faithful,
  Where is now thy victory, boasting grave?
Jesus lives! No longer thy portals are cheerless;
  Jesus lives, the mighty and strong to save.

Lyrics:Fanny Jane Crosby (1820-1915)
Music:Chester G. Allen (1838-1878)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2024, 05:14:00 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Praise the Lord we have a risen Savior! Jesus lives! He is now interceding for us in heaven as our High Priest, soon to return to take His faithful children home to the heavenly mansions He has gone to prepare! Now is the time for aggressive evangelistic efforts to go forth to reach souls--but we are to do so in harmony with Christ's method alone!

We can learn so much about how He lived His life with such love and power, and as we enter into His experience in the complete surrender of our heart to Him, we get to partake of the divine nature and cooperate with the Holy Spirit in the formation of a character after His divine similitude! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are the supernatural evidence of a vital union and communion with God! Gladly we are empowered to obey the law of God up to the depth of the truth He has revealed to us because we see His character of infinite loveliness wooing us ever closer to God and in joyful service to others!

"In a life wholly devoted to the good of others, the Saviour found it necessary to withdraw from the thoroughfares of travel and from the throng that followed Him day after day. He must turn aside from a life of ceaseless activity and contact with human needs, to seek retirement and unbroken communion with His Father. As one with us, a sharer in our needs and weaknesses, He was wholly dependent upon God, and in the secret place of prayer He sought divine strength, that He might go forth braced for duty and trial. In a world of sin Jesus endured struggles and torture of soul. In communion with God He could unburden the sorrows that were crushing Him. Here He found comfort and joy." {The Desire of Ages, page 362, paragraph 4}

May we find our comfort and joy where Jesus found it, too. While the world clamors for our attention, let us find the joy of divine communion so satisfying that nothing worldly shall entrance or delude us. No matter how we are tempted to let the connection with Jesus flag, the more we cultivate holy thoughts, feelings, and motives in divine connection with Jesus, the greater our happiness will be. We get to have a foretaste of heaven right now with Jesus abiding in us. What an effectual invitation this is to others to come and rest in Him whose heart alone provides the deepest satisfaction for the human soul, for we were made in His image. Though sin has marred that image, God is merciful to pardon and heal us. He is restoring His image in us by each prayer, each promise received by faith, and each humble act of service performed in harmony with the Holy Spirit. What a joy it is to grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus as our Lord and Savior!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2024, 09:24:26 PM »
Amen my dear brothers. God loves us and wants to help us overcome our selfishness.

In Christ the cry of humanity reached the Father of infinite pity. As a man He supplicated the throne of God till His humanity was charged with a heavenly current that should connect humanity with divinity. Through continual communion He received life from God, that He might impart life to the world. His experience is to be ours.

Let us praise Him continually!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.