Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--37--The First Evangelists  (Read 14634 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--37--The First Evangelists
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! What a joy we can experience as we follow Christ's method alone in winning souls to Him by the winsome revelation of His character! While we cannot improve of Christ's method, we may surrender our hearts and minds unreservedly to the infilling of the Holy Spirit so that He may manifest through us all the fruits of His Spirit in the revelation of His healing grace! What joy we he gives us in helping others come to experience His healing power and transformation of character!

"During His ministry Jesus devoted more time to healing the sick than to preaching. His miracles testified to the truth of His words, that He came not to destroy but to save. His righteousness went before Him, and the glory of the Lord was His rearward. Wherever He went, the tidings of His mercy preceded Him. Where He had passed, the objects of His compassion were rejoicing in health, and making trial of their new-found powers. Crowds were collecting around them to hear from their lips the works that the Lord had wrought. His voice was the first sound that many had ever heard, His name the first word they had ever spoken, His face the first they had ever looked upon. Why should they not love Jesus, and sound His praise? As He passed through the towns and cities He was like a vital current, diffusing life and joy wherever He went." {The Desire of Ages, page 350, paragraph 3}

Let us go about our day with Jesus in our hearts as we keep our eyes fixed on His loveliness, that others will experience Christ's presence working in and through us as living channels of His grace! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
"Jesus Himself never purchased peace by compromise. His heart overflowed with love for the whole human race, but He was never indulgent to their sins. He was too much their friend to remain silent while they were pursuing a course that would ruin their souls,--the souls He had purchased with His own blood. He labored that man should be true to himself, true to his higher and eternal interest. The servants of Christ are called to the same work, and they should beware lest, in seeking to prevent discord, they surrender the truth. They are to "follow after the things which make for peace" (Romans 14:19); but real peace can never be secured by compromising principle." 

May Our Prayer be that we should...Turn Our Eyes Upon Jesus - Look Full In His Wonderful Face - That The things of Earth May Grow Strangely Dim - In the Light Of His Glory and Grace..

"The greatest want of the world is the want of men—men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall"[/size] {Ed 57.3}
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2019, 05:57:17 AM »
The servants of Christ are not to act out the dictates of the natural heart. They need to have close communion with God, lest, under provocation, self rise up, and they pour forth a torrent of words that are unbefitting, that are not as dew or the still showers that refresh the withering plants. This is what Satan wants them to do; for these are his methods. It is the dragon that is wroth; it is the spirit of Satan that is revealed in anger and accusing. But God's servants are to be representatives of Him. He desires them to deal only in the currency of heaven, the truth that bears His own image and superscription. The power by which they are to overcome evil is the power of Christ. The glory of Christ is their strength. They are to fix their eyes upon His loveliness. Then they can present the gospel with divine tact and gentleness. And the spirit that is kept gentle under provocation will speak more effectively in favor of the truth than will any argument, however forcible.

Notice how this is made possible. Not by our own methods but by fixing our eyes upon the loveliness of Jesus. Only then can we present the gospel with the tact and gentleness of Jesus.  Jesus subdues the spirit and in His power evil will be overcome. Let's keep this foremost in our minds as we go through the day. Satan delights in controlling our emotions and is ever watching for his moment. If our thoughts and emotions are more on earthly things then on the preciousness of Jesus then Satan will win and we will have lost. We are truly blessed to know we don't have to be controlled by the enemy. May each day find us spending more time in the presence of Jesus where He is waiting to teach us to think, act and be just like Him. In our work and in our play we may have the company of Jesus through the Holy Spirit and commune with Him. It thrills my soul to think that Jesus wants that kind of fellowship with me and with all.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2019, 06:17:17 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

How precious is the experience gained in full surrender to Christ, in union and communion with Him!

"A daily, earnest striving to know God, and Jesus Christ whom He has sent, would bring power and efficiency to the soul. The knowledge obtained by diligent searching of the Scriptures would be flashed into the memory at the right time. But if any had neglected to acquaint themselves with the words of Christ, if they had never tested the power of His grace in trial, they could not expect that the Holy Spirit would bring His words to their remembrance. They were to serve God daily with undivided affection, and then trust Him." {The Desire of Ages, page 355, paragraph 2}

As our thoughts are of Christ, we shall find joy in doing His will. I am thankful that the Bible prophecy series, "Jesus on Prophecy" begins today in many places around Michigan, and that the Holy Spirit can use those who put their whole soul into His service! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2019, 07:38:11 AM »
Let us not see God as He truly is--very compassionate, full of infinite love, and deeply interested in our moment-by-moment experience. Let us learn of Him and turn fully to God for salvation as He leads us. When we realize how much we are loved, and see the perfect blend of God's mercy and justice in Christ, we learn to fear God and keep His commandments, turning from all iniquity because we know that sin is just a counterfeit of the real love and life that God has planned for us. Look upon God who is ALWAYS able to hear you and intervene, and then allow His character to be reproduced in you--a life in which all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifest, and not one is missing because the heart gladly obeys all of the law of God that has been clearly revealed!

"The Bible shows us God in His high and holy place, not in a state of inactivity, not in silence and solitude, but surrounded by ten thousand times ten thousand and thousands of thousands of holy intelligences, all waiting to do His will. Through channels which we cannot discern He is in active communication with every part of His dominion. But it is in this speck of a world, in the souls that He gave His only-begotten Son to save, that His interest and the interest of all heaven is centered. God is bending from His throne to hear the cry of the oppressed. To every sincere prayer He answers, 'Here am I.' He uplifts the distressed and downtrodden. In all our afflictions He is afflicted. In every temptation and every trial the angel of His presence is near to deliver." {The Desire of Ages, page 356, paragraph 3}

God is with you today--just remember that and allow Him to give you wisdom in the many changing circumstances that surround you. Only remember that you will never be placed in a circumstance where you MUST sin. Always know that God has an answer, even if that means our physical lives are cut short, only to be preserved unto eternal glory because the soul refused to participate in rebellion against God (sin). When we really believe that God loves us and is always there for us, sin truly becomes hateful to us through an appreciation of God's love and the intimate experience of union and communion with Christ! 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2019, 07:58:09 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. Christ in us will empower us to keep from sinning and to reflect His character. We are left on this Earth in order that the world may see Him in us.

The servants of Christ are not to act out the dictates of the natural heart. They need to have close communion with God, lest, under provocation, self rise up, and they pour forth a torrent of words that are unbefitting, that are not as dew or the still showers that refresh the withering plants. This is what Satan wants them to do; for these are his methods. It is the dragon that is wroth; it is the spirit of Satan that is revealed in anger and accusing. But God's servants are to be representatives of Him. He desires them to deal only in the currency of heaven, the truth that bears His own image and superscription. The power by which they are to overcome evil is the power of Christ. The glory of Christ is their strength. They are to fix their eyes upon His loveliness. Then they can present the gospel with divine tact and gentleness. And the spirit that is kept gentle under provocation will speak more effectively in favor of the truth than will any argument, however forcible.
     Those who are brought in controversy with the enemies of truth have to meet, not only men, but Satan and his agents. Let them remember the Saviour's words, "Behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves." Luke 10:3. Let them rest in the love of God, and the spirit will be kept calm, even under personal abuse. The Lord will clothe them with a divine panoply. His Holy Spirit will influence the mind and heart, so that their voices shall not catch the notes of the baying of the wolves.

Amen! We are partakers of His divine nature when we are fully surrendered. We have new hearts that have been cleansed from sin even though they were as scarlet.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »
  The followers of Christ are to labor as He did. We are to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and comfort the suffering and afflicted. We are to minister to the despairing, and inspire hope in the hopeless. And to us also the promise will be fulfilled, "Thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rearward." Isaiah 58:8. The love of Christ, manifested in unselfish ministry, will be more effective in reforming the evildoer than will the sword or the court of justice. These are necessary to strike terror to the lawbreaker, but the loving missionary can do more than this. Often the heart will harden under reproof; but it will melt under the love of Christ. The missionary cannot only relieve physical maladies, but he can lead the sinner to the Great Physician, who can cleanse the soul from the leprosy of sin. Through His servants, God designs that the sick, the unfortunate, those possessed of evil spirits, shall hear His voice. Through His human agencies He desires to be a Comforter such as the world knows not.

Fulfilling this duty will keep us ever busy. So many around us are suffering and dying. Within my own family and friends there are many in this condition. Some Christ is allowing to go to sleep. Others He is healing to carry on a work He still has for them to do. Others want the healing but not willing to make the sacrifice of complete surrender. It's a heartbreaking experience to watch loved ones suffering but there's great joy to see how some are allowing God to change their hearts. What a witness to the power of God and it happens at the same moment a person fully surrenders. Just think of how many have gone to their grave lost because we have been too busy to minister to them and to tell them about Christ.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2019, 09:36:18 AM »
"The love of Christ, manifested in unselfish ministry, will be more effective in reforming the evildoer than will the sword or the court of justice. These are necessary to strike terror to the lawbreaker, but the loving missionary can do more than this. Often the heart will harden under reproof; but it will melt under the love of Christ. The missionary cannot only relieve physical maladies, but he can lead the sinner to the Great Physician, who can cleanse the soul from the leprosy of sin. Through His servants, God designs that the sick, the unfortunate, those possessed of evil spirits, shall hear His voice. Through His human agencies He desires to be a Comforter such as the world knows not."

This is my prayer for today...."Lord lay some soul upon my heart and love that soul through me and may I humbly do my part to win that soul for thee. Take my life and let it be " fully consecrated " Lord to Thee." Amen

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2020, 04:10:21 AM »
Jesus foresaw the crisis with the coronavirus. He foresaw the trials we would have to meet. He did not ordain that sin and evil, trials and losses, death, pain and suffering should exist, but He foresaw its existence and provision has been made in this terrible emergency. We can turn our lives unreservedly over to Christ in true surrender and find His peace that passes understanding. We can rest in His grace and allow Him to set us free from sin, thus giving us courage whether we live or die, because Jesus is coming again soon and will make all things new. While we do not want to be presumptuous and not take precautions in this time with the spread of the virus, we do want to choose to have our faith fully anchored in Christ and point others to the hope and peace that is found in Him. As our countenances, words and lives reflect all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing (as this is evidence of true conversion in humble, wholehearted obedience to Christ), we can give hope to the despondent and love to those whose hearts are aching with fear. Let us be missionaries today in the way God chooses to use us! Happy Sabbath!!

"Now the Saviour's eye penetrates the future; He beholds the broader fields in which, after His death, the disciples are to be witnesses for Him. His prophetic glance takes in the experience of His servants through all the ages till He shall come the second time. He shows His followers the conflicts they must meet; He reveals the character and plan of the battle. He lays open before them the perils they must encounter, the self-denial that will be required. He desires them to count the cost, that they may not be taken unawares by the enemy. Their warfare is not to be waged against flesh and blood, but 'against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.' Ephesians 6:12, R. V. They are to contend with supernatural forces, but they are assured of supernatural help. All the intelligences of heaven are in this army. And more than angels are in the ranks. The Holy Spirit, the representative of the Captain of the Lord's host, comes down to direct the battle. Our infirmities may be many, our sins and mistakes grievous; but the grace of God is for all who seek it with contrition. The power of Omnipotence is enlisted in behalf of those who trust in God." {The Desire of Ages, page 352, paragraph 2}

As we rely upon the power of the Holy Spirit, He will teach us what to do to help others and guide our experience to be a refection of that of Christ. Jesus is coming again VERY SOON!!!

Dorine

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2020, 06:29:38 AM »
     "The Bible shows us God in His high and holy place, not in a state of inactivity, not in silence and solitude, but surrounded by ten thousand times ten thousand and thousands of thousands of holy intelligences, all waiting to do His will. Through channels which we cannot discern He is in active communication with every part of His dominion. But it is in this speck of a world, in the souls that He gave His only-begotten Son to save, that His interest and the interest of all heaven is centered. God is bending from His throne to hear the cry of the oppressed. To every sincere prayer He answers, "Here am I." He uplifts the distressed and downtrodden. In all our afflictions He is afflicted. In every temptation and every trial the angel of His presence is near to deliver."

If anyone is down or discouraged today this chapter will fill hearts with hope and love for a Saviour that loves us this much. I am so thankful this morning that God didn't give up on me when I was outside of His will. Now He wants to use me to help others trust and accept Him with their whole beings. 

Beacon

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2020, 11:38:31 AM »
"Jesus wept over Jerusalem, the city He loved, that refused to receive Him, the Way, the Truth, and the Life. They rejected Him, the Saviour, but He regarded them with pitying tenderness, and sorrow so deep that it broke His heart. Every soul was precious in His eyes. While He always bore Himself with divine dignity, He bowed with tenderest regard to every member of the family of God. In all men He saw fallen souls whom it was His mission to save."

From the Song " I would be like Jesus"  Verse 2 say......"He has broken every fetter - I would be like Jesus - That my soul may serve Him better - I would be like Jesus..Chorus " Be like Jesus this my song - In the Home and in the Throng - Be like Jesus all day long - I would be like Jesus."

May this be our prayer today and every day so that others may through His Grace and the Power of the Holy Spirit be drawn to our Best Friend and Savior - The One who gave His life for us so that we may spend eternity with Him.

Dorine

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2020, 04:42:42 AM »
    He who would confess Christ must have Christ abiding in him. He cannot communicate that which he has not received. The disciples might speak fluently on doctrines, they might repeat the words of Christ Himself; but unless they possessed Christlike meekness and love, they were not confessing Him. A spirit contrary to the spirit of Christ would deny Him, whatever the profession. Men may deny Christ by evilspeaking, by foolish talking, by words that are untruthful or unkind. They may deny Him by shunning life's burdens, by the pursuit of sinful pleasure. They may deny Him by conforming to the world, by uncourteous behavior, by the love of their own opinions, by justifying self, by cherishing doubt, borrowing trouble, and dwelling in darkness. In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them. And "whosoever shall deny Me before men," He says, "him will I also deny before My Father which is in heaven."

This paragraph jumped out at me this morning. It makes very clear what it means to confess Christ and have Him abiding in our lives. It shows that the proof we belong to God is the Christlike meekness and love we show towards others under all circumstances.

Father in heaven, please renew my heart today. Make me an instrument of your peace that others will be drawn to Jesus. May my life lift Him high above all that is evil that hearts will see the beauty and joy of knowing and serving Him and be brought to a surrender of self.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2020, 06:50:01 AM »
Amen! We see this need to have Jesus taught in the sanctuary service. The priests had to wash their hands and feet in the basin before entering into ministry. Thus was taught that until the heart is cleansed from sin, how can we give to others what we do not possess? The washing was an object lesson. It was not the hands and feet, but the heart that needs to be fully given to Christ before we can unselfishly minister to others. We must have Christ enthroned upon the heart before we give His love to others. We are evil by nature and need to be partakers of His divine nature before we attempt to lead others to Christ. We see this truth taught in today's lesson also. It is the love of Christ in us that ministers to the sin sick soul.

The followers of Christ are to labor as He did. We are to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and comfort the suffering and afflicted. We are to minister to the despairing, and inspire hope in the hopeless. And to us also the promise will be fulfilled, "Thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rearward." Isaiah 58:8. The love of Christ, manifested in unselfish ministry, will be more effective in reforming the evildoer than will the sword or the court of justice. These are necessary to strike terror to the lawbreaker, but the loving missionary can do more than this. Often the heart will harden under reproof; but it will melt under the love of Christ. The missionary cannot only relieve physical maladies, but he can lead the sinner to the Great Physician, who can cleanse the soul from the leprosy of sin. Through His servants, God designs that the sick, the unfortunate, those possessed of evil spirits, shall hear His voice. Through His human agencies He desires to be a Comforter such as the world knows not. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
"The Bible shows us God in His high and holy place, not in a state of inactivity, not in silence and solitude, but surrounded by ten thousand times ten thousand and thousands of thousands of holy intelligences, all waiting to do His will. Through channels which we cannot discern He is in active communication with every part of His dominion."

"But it is in this speck of a world, in the souls that He gave His only-begotten Son to save, that His interest and the interest of all heaven is centered. God is bending from His throne to hear the cry of the oppressed. To every sincere prayer He answers, 'Here am I.' He uplifts the distressed and downtrodden. In all our afflictions He is afflicted. In every temptation and every trial the angel of His presence is near to deliver.

Jesus is calling us to come to the foot of the cross, confess our sins, receive forgiveness and rise to the fullness of a New Life in Him. This is what will bring Him great joy, this makes His sacrifice on the Cross of Calvary all worthwhile.

Isaiah 1:18 says, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2020, 07:32:23 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Richard, and Brother Beacon!

What a blessing it is to be part of the family of God! I am so thankful for how Jesus included the apostles in His family, and how He includes you and me as we come to Him by grace through faith in conversion and baptism! We are loved and valued by Him with an everlasting love!

"The apostles were members of the family of Jesus, and they had accompanied Him as He traveled on foot through Galilee. They had shared with Him the toils and hardships that overtook them. They had listened to His discourses, they had walked and talked with the Son of God, and from His daily instruction they had learned how to work for the elevation of humanity. As Jesus ministered to the vast multitudes that gathered about Him, His disciples were in attendance, eager to do His bidding and to lighten His labor. They assisted in arranging the people, bringing the afflicted ones to the Saviour, and promoting the comfort of all. They watched for interested hearers, explained the Scriptures to them, and in various ways worked for their spiritual benefit. They taught what they had learned of Jesus, and were every day obtaining a rich experience. But they needed also an experience in laboring alone. They were still in need of much instruction, great patience and tenderness. Now, while He was personally with them, to point out their errors, and counsel and correct them, the Saviour sent them forth as His representatives." {The Desire of Ages, page 349, paragraph 1}

As we embrace Jesus as a living Savior, we find we have a worldwide family here, and the joy of being a part of the family in heaven above! The heavenly insignia of God's character will be manifest in all who surrender the whole heart to Christ continually and thus experience all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in an ongoing joyful, obedient living out of the Ten Commandments! God is love and He invites us to live and experience a family of love that spans eternity! 

Beacon

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2020, 06:59:15 PM »
"Often the heart will harden under reproof; but it will melt under the love of Christ. The missionary cannot only relieve physical maladies, but he can lead the sinner to the Great Physician, who can cleanse the soul from the leprosy of sin. Through His servants, God designs that the sick, the unfortunate, those possessed of evil spirits, shall hear His voice. Through His human agencies He desires to be a Comforter such as the world knows not. "

People really cannot understand why it matters what you believe until they know and see how much you care & love them. Then, by the power of the Holy Spirit God's truth can and will penetrate the sin ladened soul and they will be desirous to know more about God's great love and His wondrous plan of salvation.

So I would like to encourage each of you to join with me and to let this thought be our daily prayer..

"Lord lay some soul upon my heart and love that soul through me and may I humbly do my part to win that soul to thee. "

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2020, 04:28:04 AM »
How does God see the soul that is truly converted, fully surrendered, and allowing the Holy Spirit to manifest in the life all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing while walking in the path of true obedience?

"Jesus continues: As you confess Me before men, so I will confess you before God and the holy angels. You are to be My witnesses upon earth, channels through which My grace can flow for the healing of the world. So I will be your representative in heaven. The Father beholds not your faulty character, but He sees you as clothed in My perfection. I am the medium through which Heaven's blessings shall come to you. And everyone who confesses Me by sharing My sacrifice for the lost shall be confessed as a sharer in the glory and joy of the redeemed." {The Desire of Ages, page 357, paragraph 1} 

Even though converted, the character still needs to be changed from "glory to glory" (2 Corinthians 3:18)--from one degree of maturity and growth to the next. The Father sees us clothed in Christ's righteousness as long as we are abiding in Christ. Let us remember, though, that if we neglect Jesus or choose another master (sin, self, and the devil) that instead of our characters in their growth being clothed in Christ's righteousness, we are indeed in deep need of repentance, that we may have Christ abiding in the heart again! What a blessing that Christ does not leave us in an unconverted state without earnest appeal, for He says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me" (Revelation 3:20). As we hear the Holy Spirit speaking to us to again surrender fully to Christ, we find that there is an immediate change when we do fully yield, for Jesus always brings His loveliness of character into our hearts and minds: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance will all be manifest in the character because Christ abides there with His OWN DIVINE NATURE by the Word (2 Peter 1:4)! What a blessing to have this constant union and communion with Christ by grace through faith!

Dorine

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2020, 05:50:47 AM »
A daily, earnest striving to know God, and Jesus Christ whom He has sent, would bring power and efficiency to the soul. The knowledge obtained by diligent searching of the Scriptures would be flashed into the memory at the right time. But if any had neglected to acquaint themselves with the words of Christ, if they had never tested the power of His grace in trial, they could not expect that the Holy Spirit would bring His words to their remembrance. They were to serve God daily with undivided affection, and then trust Him.

What an important truth this paragraph is speaking of. This is a promise for us today not just for the future when we may stand in courts for our faith. As we come in contact now with family, friends or strangers we may have a ready answer for what we believe and why. I want to be more diligent every day in the time I spend getting to know God more. I want to serve Him and trust Him with undivided affection.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2020, 08:16:42 PM »
Amen dear sister! What a privilege we have to spend time with Jesus. What do we gain by so doing?  We get to see the character of our God. It is not so much understanding doctrine that causes us to surrender to God, but it is seeing the example set by Jesus. It is His grace that saves us. It is His love that causes our hearts to be converted as Brother Beacon pointed out. And as Pastor Sean points out, we are to be the example that others shall see the character of our God. We are to the channels through which His grace shall be seen by the world. Then the heathen will know there is a God of great love and power (see Ezekiel 36:22-34).

While they had been with Him, the disciples had often been perplexed by the teaching of the priests and Pharisees, but they had brought their perplexities to Jesus. He had set before them the truths of Scripture in contrast with tradition. Thus He had strengthened their confidence in God's word, and in a great measure had set them free from their fear of the rabbis and their bondage to tradition. In the training of the disciples the example of the Saviour's life was far more effective than any mere doctrinal instruction. When they were separated from Him, every look and tone and word came back to them. Often when in conflict with the enemies of the gospel, they repeated His words, and as they saw their effect upon the people, they rejoiced greatly. 

"The Saviour's life was far more effective than any mere doctrinal instruction." It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Jesus. We can testify that beholding His life we are daily transformed in character (2 Cor. 3:18).

Dorine

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2020, 05:28:19 AM »
"It is Satan's work to fill men's hearts with doubt. He leads them to look upon God as a stern judge. He tempts them to sin, and then to regard themselves as too vile to approach their heavenly Father or to excite His pity. The Lord understands all this. Jesus assures His disciples of God's sympathy for them in their needs and weaknesses. Not a sigh is breathed, not a pain felt, not a grief pierces the soul, but the throb vibrates to the Father's heart."

If you feel that your case is a hopeless one because of the times you have yielded to the temptations of Satan then this chapter and these words should fill you with reassurance and hopefulness. We are told over and over again to keep our eyes on Jesus. Spend time with Him, talk to Him, tell others of the things He has done for us and the joy that fills our hearts will keep us from looking to the weaknesses of our human flesh. I love the last sentence. "Not a sigh is breathed, not a pain felt, not a grief pierces the soul, but the throb vibrates to the Father's heart."