Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--37--The First Evangelists  (Read 11414 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--37--The First Evangelists
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2022, 09:17:02 PM »
"No man can be true to principle without exciting opposition."

"A Christianity that is spiritual will be opposed by the children of disobedience."

"But Jesus bade His disciples, "Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul."

"Those who are true to God need not fear the power of men nor the enmity of Satan. "

"In Christ their eternal life is secure."

"Their only fear should be lest they surrender the truth, and thus betray the trust with which God has honored them."

If at the start of everyday we humbly pray and ask God to Guide and Sustain us..."HE WILL"
=========================================================

O Jesus, I have promised
  To serve Thee to the end;
Be Thou forever near me,
  My Master and my Friend;
I shall not fear the battle
  If Thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway
  If Thou wilt be my Guide.
Oh, let me feel Thee near me;
  The world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle,
  The tempting sounds I hear;
My foes are ever near me,
  Around me and within;
But, Jesus, draw Thou nearer,
  And shield my soul from sin.
Oh, let me hear Thee speaking,
  In accents clear and still,
Above the storms of passion,
  The murmurs of self-will;
Oh, speak to reassure me,
  To hasten, or control;
Oh, speak, and make me listen,
  Thou Guardian of my soul.
O Jesus, Thou hast promised
  To all who follow Thee
That where Thou art in glory
  There shall Thy servant be;
And Jesus, I have promised
  To serve Thee to the end;
Oh, give me grace to follow,
  My Master and my Friend.
Oh, let me see Thy footmarks,
  And in them plant mine own;
My hope to follow duly
  Is in Thy strength alone.
Oh, guide me, call me, draw me,
  Uphold me to the end;
And then to rest receive me,
  My Savior and my Friend.

Lyrics:John Ernest Bode (1816-1874)
Music:Arthur Henry Mann (1850-1929)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2022, 04:09:42 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon!

How does our Heavenly Father see us when we are truly converted, abiding in Jesus, and allowing the Holy Spirit to use us?

"Jesus continues: As you confess Me before men, so I will confess you before God and the holy angels. You are to be My witnesses upon earth, channels through which My grace can flow for the healing of the world. So I will be your representative in heaven. The Father beholds not your faulty character, but He sees you as clothed in My perfection. I am the medium through which Heaven's blessings shall come to you. And everyone who confesses Me by sharing My sacrifice for the lost shall be confessed as a sharer in the glory and joy of the redeemed." {The Desire of Ages, page 357, paragraph 1} 

We are seen as clothed in Christ's character--and our lives will bear witness while on earth, with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we affectionately obey God's law of love from the heart renewed by His grace! May you today go forth to bless others as Jesus has first blessed you!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2022, 06:28:14 AM »
"The Bible shows us God in His high and holy place, not in a state of inactivity, not in silence and solitude, but surrounded by ten thousand times ten thousand and thousands of thousands of holy intelligences, all waiting to do His will. Through channels which we cannot discern He is in active communication with every part of His dominion. But it is in this speck of a world, in the souls that He gave His only-begotten Son to save, that His interest and the interest of all heaven is centered. God is bending from His throne to hear the cry of the oppressed. To every sincere prayer He answers, "Here am I." He uplifts the distressed and downtrodden. In all our afflictions He is afflicted. In every temptation and every trial the angel of His presence is near to deliver."

I am awe struck with gratitude as I read these words. We are the black sheep of God's endless universe. He could have blotted us out so easily but look what He went through to save this one lost sheep. Thank you Jesus. Give me your sacrificial love for souls that I may be a cheerful and willing instrument in your hands to find them and bring them to you.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2022, 09:44:07 AM »
So much in today's reading!! We see this in  our posts.  It is interesting to see how the Spirit moves upon us in what we share. Often, it is very close to the same. But, today so very much of importance.

"Behold," said Jesus, "I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." Christ Himself did not suppress one word of truth, but He spoke it always in love. He exercised the greatest tact, and thoughtful, kind attention in His intercourse with the people. He was never rude, never needlessly spoke a severe word, never gave needless pain to a sensitive soul. He did not censure human weakness. He fearlessly denounced hypocrisy, unbelief, and iniquity, but tears were in His voice as He uttered His scathing rebukes. He wept over Jerusalem, the city He loved, that refused to receive Him, the Way, the Truth, and the Life. They rejected Him, the Saviour, but He regarded them with pitying tenderness, and sorrow so deep that it broke His heart. Every soul was precious in His eyes. While He always bore Himself with divine dignity, He bowed with tenderest regard to every member of the family of God. In all men He saw fallen souls whom it was His mission to save.

This is the counsel that is so much needed by all who labor to save the lost. Yes, even scathing rebukes are necessary, severe words, and pain will come from those who are being led by God. But, as is often the case, what about what else is said by our Lord? It is "needless pain" that is averted, and if not needed then never a severe word. And, if we really care about the truth, then we shall also understand that there will be tears in our eyes as we utter a scathing rebuke. Satan cares not which way we err, as long as we err by not following the whole counsel given and not following the lead of the Holy Spirit.

From Acts of the Apostles we see more clearly what others do not or will not allow:

Fearing that Timothy’s mild, yielding disposition might lead him to shun an essential part of his work, Paul exhorted him to be faithful in reproving sin and even to rebuke with sharpness those who were guilty of gross evils. Yet he was to do this “with all long-suffering and doctrine.” He was to reveal the patience and love of Christ, explaining and enforcing his reproofs by the truths of the word. To hate and reprove sin, and at the same time to show pity and tenderness for the sinner, is a difficult attainment. The more earnest our own efforts to attain to holiness of heart and life, the more acute will be our perception of sin and the more decided our disapproval of any deviation from the right. We must guard against undue severity toward the wrongdoer, but we must also be careful not to lose sight of the exceeding sinfulness of sin. There is need of showing Christlike patience and love for the erring one, but there is also danger of showing so great toleration for his error that he will look upon himself as undeserving of reproof, and will reject it as uncalled for and unjust.

Ministers of the gospel sometimes do great harm by allowing their forbearance toward the erring to degenerate into toleration of sins and even participation in them. Thus they are led to excuse and palliate that which God condemns, and after a time they become so blinded as to commend the very ones whom God commands them to reprove. He who has blunted his spiritual perceptions by sinful leniency toward those whom God condemns, will erelong commit a greater sin by severity and harshness toward those whom God approves. pgs 503, 504.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2022, 08:02:39 PM »
"Jesus was never rude, never needlessly spoke a severe word, never gave needless pain to a sensitive soul."

"He did not censure human weakness."

"He fearlessly denounced hypocrisy, unbelief, and iniquity, but tears were in His voice as He uttered His scathing rebukes."

"He wept over Jerusalem, the city He loved, that refused to receive Him, the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

"They rejected Him, the Saviour, but He regarded them with pitying tenderness, and sorrow so deep that it broke His heart."

"Every soul was precious in His eyes."

"While He always bore Himself with divine dignity, He bowed with tenderest regard to every member of the family of God. "

"In all men He saw fallen souls whom it was His mission to save."

"Every soul was precious in His eyes."

Is that the way we look at our fellow mankind? I want to be like Jesus! How About You?

==========================

Earthly pleasures vainly call me,
  I would be like Jesus;
Nothing worldly shall enthrall me,
  I would be like Jesus.
    Be like Jesus, this my song,
  In the home and in the throng;
Be like Jesus, all day long!
    I would be like Jesus.
He has broken every fetter,
  I would be like Jesus;
That my soul may serve Him better,
  I would be like Jesus.
All the way from earth to glory,
  I would be like Jesus;
Telling o’er and o’er the story,
  I would be like Jesus.

Lyrics:James Rowe (1866-1933)
Music:Bentley DeForest Ackley (1872-1958)

Dorine

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2022, 05:15:50 AM »
"The servants of Christ are not to act out the dictates of the natural heart. They need to have close communion with God, lest, under provocation, self rise up, and they pour forth a torrent of words that are unbefitting, that are not as dew or the still showers that refresh the withering plants. This is what Satan wants them to do; for these are his methods. It is the dragon that is wroth; it is the spirit of Satan that is revealed in anger and accusing. But God's servants are to be representatives of Him. He desires them to deal only in the currency of heaven, the truth that bears His own image and superscription. The power by which they are to overcome evil is the power of Christ. The glory of Christ is their strength. They are to fix their eyes upon His loveliness. Then they can present the gospel with divine tact and gentleness. And the spirit that is kept gentle under provocation will speak more effectively in favor of the truth than will any argument, however forcible."

Oh how we need Jesus every moment of every day for He is our source of strength and power to overcome our carnal natures. When we keep our eyes and thoughts on Jesus a miraculous change takes place in our hearts and we become like Him in word and deed. We will see souls through the eyes of Jesus and our deepest desire will be to help them find Jesus so they may know the joy and peace that comes through a personal relationship with Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2022, 06:14:49 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

What is a very effective way to bless people and reach them for Christ? Let's look at what Christ did in sending out His disciples!

"Calling the twelve about Him, Jesus bade them go out two and two through the towns and villages. None were sent forth alone, but brother was associated with brother, friend with friend. Thus they could help and encourage each other, counseling and praying together, each one's strength supplementing the other's weakness. In the same manner He afterward sent forth the seventy. It was the Saviour's purpose that the messengers of the gospel should be associated in this way. In our own time evangelistic work would be far more successful if this example were more closely followed." {The Desire of Ages, page 350, paragraph 1}

What a joy it is to labor with a fellow brother in the Lord for souls! May this be your experience, too! You can pray that God will send you a co-laborer to share in the joy of winning souls! Since December I have had a housemate who has been a blessing as we have had many opportunities to do evangelistic work together! Timur and I have been thankful for the opportunities to canvass health and spiritual materials, pray with people, and seek to find Bible studies, and sharing the joy together makes it even better! His love unites our hearts in Christ and leads us to seek others for Him, too!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2022, 07:51:01 PM »
Amen!! And when great trials come, a friend will be a blessing! And great tribulation will come, is come!  The world is more and more hating God and His ways. When we represent Christ, the world will hate us.

The Saviour bade His disciples not to hope that the world's enmity to the gospel would be overcome, and that after a time its opposition would cease. He said, "I came not to send peace, but a sword." This creating of strife is not the effect of the gospel, but the result of opposition to it. Of all persecution the hardest to bear is variance in the home, the estrangement of dearest earthly friends. But Jesus declares, "He that loveth father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after Me, is not worthy of Me." 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2022, 08:00:24 PM »
"God's servants are to be representatives of Him."

"He desires them to deal only in the currency of heaven".

"The truth that bears His own image and superscription."

"The power by which they are to overcome evil is the power of Christ."

"The glory of Christ is their strength."

"They are to fix their eyes upon His loveliness. :

"Then they can present the gospel with divine tact and gentleness."

"And the spirit that is kept gentle under provocation will speak more effectively in favor of the truth than will any argument, however forcible."

Dear Jesus -- Help me to be more like you, filled with "Divine Tact and Gentleness" all the time.

=========================
Earthly pleasures vainly call me,
  I would be like Jesus;
Nothing worldly shall enthrall me,
  I would be like Jesus.
    Be like Jesus, this my song,
  In the home and in the throng;
Be like Jesus, all day long!
    I would be like Jesus.
He has broken every fetter,
  I would be like Jesus;
That my soul may serve Him better,
  I would be like Jesus.
All the way from earth to glory,
  I would be like Jesus;
Telling o’er and o’er the story,
  I would be like Jesus.

Lyrics:James Rowe (1866-1933)
Music:Bentley DeForest Ackley (1872-1958)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2022, 04:01:41 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Looking to Jesus we see what it means to be true Christians. He invites us to be united to Him by a living faith surrender so all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our character experience with Him by an appreciative understanding of His love! He calls us to confess Him as Lord and Savior by a character united with Him by continual communion! May this be our experience by beholding His love as we are changed into His image! It would be well each day to contemplate the loveliness of Jesus, especially the closing scenes of His earthly life as He went to Calvary for us! He is now our High Priest and we can look to Him as able to save us fully! Look away from self and talk and think of Jesus, even as He transforms you by beholding Him!

"He who would confess Christ must have Christ abiding in him. He cannot communicate that which he has not received. The disciples might speak fluently on doctrines, they might repeat the words of Christ Himself; but unless they possessed Christlike meekness and love, they were not confessing Him. A spirit contrary to the spirit of Christ would deny Him, whatever the profession. Men may deny Christ by evilspeaking, by foolish talking, by words that are untruthful or unkind. They may deny Him by shunning life's burdens, by the pursuit of sinful pleasure. They may deny Him by conforming to the world, by uncourteous behavior, by the love of their own opinions, by justifying self, by cherishing doubt, borrowing trouble, and dwelling in darkness. In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them. And 'whosoever shall deny Me before men,' He says, 'him will I also deny before My Father which is in heaven.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 357, paragraph 2}

Jesus longs to continually confess us before our Heavenly Father, and He invites us to receive from Him the Holy Sprit that we may give a consistent witness of His true character!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2022, 10:47:17 AM »
Amen my dear brothers! The First Evangelists understood that what they did was more important that what they said. So it ought to be with those who have been entrusted with the sacred oracles of God. We cannot give to others what we do not have. If the heart has not been cleansed from sin, then how can we be faithful witnesses of the character of our Lord and Savior? We cannot.

The followers of Christ are to labor as He did. We are to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and comfort the suffering and afflicted. We are to minister to the despairing, and inspire hope in the hopeless. And to us also the promise will be fulfilled, "Thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rearward." Isaiah 58:8. The love of Christ, manifested in unselfish ministry, will be more effective in reforming the evildoer than will the sword or the court of justice. These are necessary to strike terror to the lawbreaker, but the loving missionary can do more than this. Often the heart will harden under reproof; but it will melt under the love of Christ. The missionary cannot only relieve physical maladies, but he can lead the sinner to the Great Physician, who can cleanse the soul from the leprosy of sin. Through His servants, God designs that the sick, the unfortunate, those possessed of evil spirits, shall hear His voice. Through His human agencies He desires to be a Comforter such as the world knows not. 

God's grace has transformed us, ought we not manifest that same grace to those we come in contact with? It is this grace that will transform the sinners we meet into saints if they will allow it into their hearts. Therefore, let us give to others what God has given to us, a love for those who do not deserve it.