Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--30--"He Ordained Twelve"  (Read 14136 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--30--"He Ordained Twelve"
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2021, 06:34:18 AM »
  "We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves." 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves "compassed with infirmity" should be able to "have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way." Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ. "

What a beautiful plan. Whatever God does is perfect. In ourselves we are weak, helpless and hopeless, but when we open the door to Christ He abides in our lives. We become new creatures that He will use to bring hope and encouragement to those who are burdened with the cares of this life. May we appreciate the privilege that is ours to cooperate with heaven in the saving of souls.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2021, 07:22:58 AM »
"The apostles differed widely in habits and disposition. There were the publican, Levi-Matthew, and the fiery zealot Simon, the uncompromising hater of the authority of Rome; the generous, impulsive Peter, and the mean-spirited Judas; Thomas, truehearted, yet timid and fearful, Philip, slow of heart, and inclined to doubt, and the ambitious, outspoken sons of Zebedee, with their brethren. These were brought together, with their different faults, all with inherited and cultivated tendencies to evil; but in and through Christ they were to dwell in the family of God, learning to become one in faith, in doctrine, in spirit."

"They would have their tests, their grievances, their differences of opinion; but while Christ was abiding in the heart, there could be no dissension."His love would lead to love for one another"

"The lessons of the Master would lead to the harmonizing of all differences, bringing the disciples into unity, till they would be of one mind and one judgment..and they would approach one another just in proportion as they approached the center."

Isn't it an awesome thought that God can use " us ".... with all our human weakness "if" we are willing to kneel at the foot of the cross, confess our sins,  receive His forgiveness, be covered with His grace and truth to go forth to share the wonderful invitation with others according to the gifts that He will provide to enable us to be an ambassador for the Kings of Kings. There is no other higher privilege and calling.

2 Corinthians 5:20...says,
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Is it not one of the highest honors that can be bestowed on a citizen of their country to be appointed as an ambassador? How much greater then to be called by Jesus to be as an ambassador for the King of Kings. This calling should keep us humble as we recognize what a honor of trust has been given to us. Let us pray earnestly everyday for the wisdom and grace needed to fulfill this High Calling.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard, Sister Dorine, and Brother Beacon!

Let us appreciate all that God has entrusted to us in giving us the gospel of His grace! Jesus is willing to use us and fill us with the Holy Spirit so others can be brought to a saving knowledge of the truth!

"We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves." 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves "compassed with infirmity" should be able to "have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way." Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ. 

As you look to Jesus, realize that He loves you and will help you at every advance step toward heaven to do His will! When we surrender unreservedly to the Holy Spirit, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing as we gladly obey His law of love!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Philip T

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2021, 02:31:53 PM »
  [size=12pt]God takes men as they are, with the human elements in their character, and trains them for His service, if they will be disciplined and learn of Him. They are not chosen because they are perfect, but notwithstanding their imperfections, that through the knowledge and practice of the truth, through the grace of Christ, they may become transformed into His image. [/size] 

It is important to grasp the point when asked to perform a role in the church or body of Christ. To say I am not capable of doing that and not going on our knees to God to see if this is what he wants of us, and then say when we have confirmation He indeed wants us to perform this duty Lord here am I and go forward in peace of mind knowing he will equip us to accomplish His will. I know from personal experience this is so. When I first returned to the church and was asked to teach Sabbath School at church I was terrified, and declined to do so feeling there were so many in the church who had much more knowledge than I did. An Elder gently persisted every two or three months asking me to just fill in once in a while. I finally felt rebuked by God one Sabbath while sitting in class after saying no once again. I prayed right there and promised God if asked again I would surrender and do as he wanted and teach class.
Well I was asked two weeks later and I did teach. At first it was hard but God always brought me through, and now when looking back I can see the wonderful blessing of all God has taught me as I taught others. God does transform when we surrender to him and do his will.

Dorine

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2021, 06:19:26 AM »

Thank you Philip for your last post. Your testimony was an encouragement to me. With God all things are truly possible.

"Jesus reproved His disciples, He warned and cautioned them; but John and his brethren did not leave Him; they chose Jesus, notwithstanding the reproofs. The Saviour did not withdraw from them because of their weakness and errors. They continued to the end to share His trials and to learn the lessons of His life. By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character."

As we are daily walking with Christ we too are being reproved and corrected. It is not easy to receive. Especially when it comes through someone we know is not living up to the standards they know are right. May we be ready at all times to accept the truth about ourselves no matter what avenue the Lord decides to use. He never leaves us because of our weaknesses and if we endure the trials through to the end we will learn of Him and He will change us into His character. It seems impossible but God said it so I believe it. This is what will convince many to accept Jesus for themselves. If He can change a helpless weakling like me He can change anyone.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2021, 06:28:43 AM »
Amen dear sister! This is the lesson we get from today's reading. Yes, God is using Judas to show us much, but in the end, He wants us to know that He wants to transform us so that we can work with Him to save the lost. As we near the end, the light is shining ever brighter. Do we appreciate it, even though at times it is reproof? Or do we treat the truth as did Judas, rejecting God's love and grace? Today will to a great degree decide tomorrow. God will perform the greatest of all miracles if we will come to Him daily just as we are.

He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service. And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples. However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ. He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God. 

He will indeed finish the work He has begun in you and me!  Such a miracle!! Have a blessed Sabbath my dear friends.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2021, 12:34:23 PM »
"As His representatives among men, Christ does not choose angels who have never fallen, but human beings, men of like passions with those they seek to save."

"Christ took upon Himself humanity, that He might reach humanity. Divinity needed humanity; for it required both the divine and the human to bring salvation to the world. "

"Through many experiences of life how often we have found comfort and courage from another brother or sister who has experienced our challenges and we find strength to press on. Thus as we meet those in need who are passing through deep valleys spiritually and physically we are able to share the sustaining love and hope available through our Lord and Saviour as we point them to Him who is able!

"So with the servants and messengers of Christ. Man needs a power outside of and beyond himself, to restore him to the likeness of God, and enable him to do the work of God; but this does not make the human agency unessential. Humanity lays hold upon divine power, Christ dwells in the heart by faith; and through co-operation with the divine, the power of man becomes efficient for good."

"He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service. And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples. However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ. He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God."

Brother's and Sister's in Christ....We have been invited to become " Ambassadors " for the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!! What an awesome privilege, responsibility, and honor. Let us seek daily for His wisdom & grace so that all humanity that we come in contact with will be drawn to our loving, forgiving , saving Jesus.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »
Happy Sabbath! Amen, Brother Philip, Sister Dorine, Brother Richard and Brother Beacon! We are privileged to be able to offer God our finite weakness so He can fill us with His infinite grace, power and love by the Holy Spirit! Only in Christ do we find our real purpose and identity!

"'We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves.' 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves 'compassed with infirmity' should be able to 'have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way.' Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 2}
     We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 3}

God is willing to send the angels to speak through our voices so we can be a blessing to others and point them to the love of Christ. Let us be available for what God has planned today! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be manifest through a life that is fully surrendered to Christ in constant union and communion with God! Affectionately we are empower to obey God from a new heart and a new mind because the gospel of His grace transforms sinners into saints!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2022, 08:17:03 PM »
"There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ."

"We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world."

"With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man."

"And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love."

What a High Calling has been granted to us to be His voice - Are You Willing??

https://sdahymnals.com/Hymnal/359-hark-the-voice-of-Jesus-calling/

Dorine

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2022, 04:54:52 AM »
"We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves." 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves "compassed with infirmity" should be able to "have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way." Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ."

What a beautiful plan God has put in place for the benefit of man and for His glory in the spreading of the gospel. It's the struggles of life that keep us tender and compassionate towards others who are going through trials of their own. My prayer is that I will always be sensitive to the needs of others and be that link between them and God to bring courage and hope to their troubled souls.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2022, 11:26:21 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!! I am willing to be made willing!! What a joy it is to let Jesus use us!!

"'We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves.' 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves 'compassed with infirmity' should be able to 'have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way.' Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 2}
     We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 3}

When Christ has possession of the WHOLE heart, not only will we speak His words with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, but we can know that the angels are with us to help us choose what to say and when! As affectionate obedience to God's law of love springs forth spontaneously from our lives as we abide in Christ, what a joy it is to thrive in His love and let Him work in and through us by His grace!

Beacon

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2022, 08:54:39 PM »
"Man needs a power outside of and beyond himself, to restore him to the likeness of God, and enable him to do the work of God; but this does not make the human agency unessential."

"Humanity lays hold upon divine power, Christ dwells in the heart by faith; and through co-operation with the divine, the power of man becomes efficient for good."

"He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service.

"And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples."

"However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ."

"He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God."

If we are willing to invite Jesus to be King of Kings and Lord of Lords in our life He has promised to enable us to do His biding.

=============================

"Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,

Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,

Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,

Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,

Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee."

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2022, 06:25:25 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Only in continual union and communion of our souls with Christ are we able to have true unity with others who also surrender fully to Him. Apart from Christ, no true peace or unity is possible for fallen humanity, for the very foundation of Satan's government is based on selfishness and discontent with God's authority, and fallen humanity has come under that dominion of evil until true conversion takes place in the soul whereby Christ empowers us to live by the divine nature and keep the fallen nature crucified with Him. When we accept Christ as Lord and Savior and allow Him to bring us into harmony with His character of unselfish love whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives without one missing, we can be empowered to do God's will with true faithfulness, being unified with others who also surrender, and lovingly inviting others to come into harmony with Jesus!

"The apostles differed widely in habits and disposition. There were the publican, Levi-Matthew, and the fiery zealot Simon, the uncompromising hater of the authority of Rome; the generous, impulsive Peter, and the mean-spirited Judas; Thomas, truehearted, yet timid and fearful, Philip, slow of heart, and inclined to doubt, and the ambitious, outspoken sons of Zebedee, with their brethren. These were brought together, with their different faults, all with inherited and cultivated tendencies to evil; but in and through Christ they were to dwell in the family of God, learning to become one in faith, in doctrine, in spirit. They would have their tests, their grievances, their differences of opinion; but while Christ was abiding in the heart, there could be no dissension. His love would lead to love for one another; the lessons of the Master would lead to the harmonizing of all differences, bringing the disciples into unity, till they would be of one mind and one judgment. Christ is the great center, and they would approach one another just in proportion as they approached the center." {The Desire of Ages, page 296, paragraph 2}

May we all choose continually to approach Christ, the great center, and in doing so, be found faultless to stand before His throne when He returns very soon in power and great glory!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2022, 06:34:12 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  What a blessing that we may be transformed today. Today, we may be loving and kind as we are empowered to keep the body under at all times.

But, many do not choose to be transformed in character, thus they retain their defects of character.

Instead of walking in the light, Judas chose to retain his defects. Evil desires, revengeful passions, dark and sullen thoughts, were cherished, until Satan had full control of the man. Judas became a representative of the enemy of Christ.   
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2022, 08:02:59 PM »
"The disciples were brought together, with their different faults, all with inherited and cultivated tendencies to evil; but in and through Christ they were to dwell in the family of God."

"Learning" to become one in faith, in doctrine, in spirit."

"They would have their tests, their grievances, their differences of opinion; but while Christ was abiding in the heart, there could be no dissension."

"His love would lead to love for one another."

"The lessons of the Master would lead to the harmonizing of all differences."

The more we focus on Jesus and not on ourselves or one another the more harmonious the truth will be seen by the world and the more attractive it will become to those looking for Truth, Love, Forgiveness and Grace. The world will be attracted to Jesus through the observation of our love one for another.

=====================

More about Jesus would I know,
More of His grace to others show;
More of His saving fulness see,
More of His love who died for me.
    More, more about Jesus,
More, more about Jesus;
More of His saving fulness see,
  More of His love who died for me.
More about Jesus let me learn,
More of His holy will discern;
Spirit of God my teacher be,
Showing the things of Christ to me.
More about Jesus; in His Word,
Holding communion with my Lord;
Hearing His voice in every line,
Making each faithful saying mine.
More about Jesus; on His throne,
Riches in glory all His own;
More of His kingdom’s sure increase;
More of His coming, Prince of Peace.

Lyrics:Eliza Edmunds Hewitt (1851-1920)
Music:John Robson Sweney (1837-1899)

Dorine

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2022, 04:38:03 AM »
"All the disciples had serious faults when Jesus called them to His service. Even John, who came into closest association with the meek and lowly One, was not himself naturally meek and yielding. He and his brother were called "the sons of thunder." While they were with Jesus, any slight shown to Him aroused their indignation and combativeness. Evil temper, revenge, the spirit of criticism, were all in the beloved disciple. He was proud, and ambitious to be first in the kingdom of God. But day by day, in contrast with his own violent spirit, he beheld the tenderness and forbearance of Jesus, and heard His lessons of humility and patience. He opened his heart to the divine influence, and became not only a hearer but a doer of the Saviour's words. Self was hid in Christ. He learned to wear the yoke of Christ and to bear His burden.      

Jesus reproved His disciples, He warned and cautioned them; but John and his brethren did not leave Him; they chose Jesus, notwithstanding the reproofs. The Saviour did not withdraw from them because of their weakness and errors. They continued to the end to share His trials and to learn the lessons of His life. By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character."

This is why it is so important for us to spend this thoughtful hour each day on the life of Christ. Like John we too are learning the lessons Jesus taught them and by beholding Him we are being transformed into His character. Possessing the character of God keeps us from sinning for we would rather die than crucify Him afresh. It's when we take our eyes off of our dear Saviour that we fall.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2022, 04:57:51 AM »
Teamwork makes the dream work!! Let us realize we are a team with the angels to reach the world for Christ with the Holy Spirit using us to speak in harmony with the prompting of the angels! Let us give the Three Angels' messages in harmony with the character of Christ--all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we gladly obey the Ten Commandments and live in harmony with all of the light God shines on our pathway!!

"We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 3}

Let us allow Christ to do what He longes to do--prepare us as His wife made ready (Revelation 19:7) for translation without seeing death!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2022, 05:18:39 PM »
Amen, amen, and amen!  My dear friends understand the power of grace to make the worst of sinners reflect the glory and love of God. We are blessed to be as Brother Beacon pointed out, in unity of Spirit even if we do not see all the same way. It is the love of God that causes us to love even the unlovable.

As His representatives among men, Christ does not choose angels who have never fallen, but human beings, men of like passions with those they seek to save. Christ took upon Himself humanity, that He might reach humanity. Divinity needed humanity; for it required both the divine and the human to bring salvation to the world. Divinity needed humanity, that humanity might afford a channel of communication between God and man. So with the servants and messengers of Christ. Man needs a power outside of and beyond himself, to restore him to the likeness of God, and enable him to do the work of God; but this does not make the human agency unessential. Humanity lays hold upon divine power, Christ dwells in the heart by faith; and through co-operation with the divine, the power of man becomes efficient for good.   

Beacon

« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2022, 08:01:47 PM »
"These men were brought together, with their different faults."

"Each one with inherited and cultivated tendencies to evil."

"In and through Christ they were to dwell in the family of God, learning to become one in faith, in doctrine, in spirit."

"They would have their tests, their grievances, their differences of opinion."

"But while Christ was abiding in the heart, there could be no dissension."

"His love would lead to love for one another."

"The lessons of the Master would lead to the harmonizing of all differences, bringing the disciples into unity, till they would be of one mind and one judgment."

"Christ is the great center."

"The disciples would approach one another just in proportion as they approached the center."

I want / need Jesus to walk with me - How About You?
==============================

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Lyrics:Mrs. Ada A. Whiddington (1891)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)

Dorine

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2022, 04:47:51 AM »
“God takes men as they are, with the human elements in their character, and trains them for His service, if they will be disciplined and learn of Him. They are not chosen because they are perfect, but notwithstanding their imperfections, that through the knowledge and practice of the truth, through the grace of Christ, they may become transformed into His image.”

We are in the school of Christ just as the disciples were. Are we teachable students listening and ready to do the Teachers bidding? What He did in the lives of the disciples is proof of His power and eagerness to do the same for us. When you read of the characteristics of each disciple when Jesus first called them in contrast to the change that took place during the 3 years they were with Him, can anyone doubt  His miraculous power to transform surrendered hearts into the image of God? It may not be accepted as with Judas but it can never be denied.