Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--30--"He Ordained Twelve"  (Read 14134 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--30--"He Ordained Twelve"
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2020, 06:26:20 AM »
"God takes men as they are, with the human elements in their character, and trains them for His service, if they will be disciplined and learn of Him. They are not chosen because they are perfect, but notwithstanding their imperfections, that through the knowledge and practice of the truth, through the grace of Christ, they may become transformed into His image.        Judas had the same opportunities as had the other disciples. He listened to the same precious lessons. But the practice of the truth, which Christ required, was at variance with the desires and purposes of Judas, and he would not yield his ideas in order to receive wisdom from Heaven."

It all comes down to the choices we make. Are we putty in the hands of Jesus allowing Him to mold and make us into His image? Or are we hard as rock hanging on to the desires of our own heart. We all have weaknesses and temptations but which spirit are we yielding to? The Spirit of God or the spirit of the enemy Satan? It's our choice. When I say 'yes' to Jesus and abide in Him continually, He then takes my weaknesses and makes them my strengths. He provides a way of escape from the once overwhelming temptations. In Jesus we are free from the bondage of sin; the worst kind of bondage. Judas is a perfect example of the struggle that goes on in the heart of someone with a heart that is divided. If unrepentant the end result is disastrous.  May we be putty in the hands of Jesus continually where there is joy and peace and where the end result is glorious.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2020, 07:08:43 AM »
"He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service. And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples. However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ. He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God."

Isn't it an awesome thought that God can use " us ".... with all our human weakness "if" we are willing to kneel at the foot of the cross, confess our sins,  receive His forgiveness, be covered with His grace and truth to go forth to share the wonderful invitation with others according to the gifts that He will provide to enable us to be an ambassador for the Kings of Kings. There is no other higher privilege and calling.

2 Corinthians 5:20
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Several times it has been my highest honor and privilege to baptize the ones whom I've studied with ( with the blessing of the local pastor and local conference ) as they express their desire to join God's Remnant Church and I can testify that there in no higher joy on this planet. Let us come to the foot of the cross daily and ask the Lord to lead and guide. To be willing to be used each day as he sees fit. Time is short let us not get distracted from our mission.  God Bless You All - Today & Always
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2020, 08:01:06 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! As a pastor, I am so thankful for the privilege of preparing souls for baptism and taking them into that watery grave to represent death to self, rising in resurrection life in Christ to walk in a life of eternal marriage to Him!

There is no greater joy than winning souls! As we yield our finite selves to Christ as clay vessels for Him to shape by His word and will, He can accomplish measureless results!

"'We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves.' 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves 'compassed with infirmity' should be able to 'have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way.' Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 2}   

Let us look to Christ on a moment-by-moment basis! As we come alongside precious souls and share with them what we have gone through, we can encourage them to overcome as Christ also has helped us in our journey to overcome the world, the flesh and the devil! The joy of salvation comes to every soul who yields unreservedly to Christ! What joy to win souls we find in using all of our talents for God's glory!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2020, 06:04:15 AM »
"Jesus reproved His disciples, He warned and cautioned them; but John and his brethren did not leave Him; they chose Jesus, notwithstanding the reproofs. The Saviour did not withdraw from them because of their weakness and errors. They continued to the end to share His trials and to learn the lessons of His life...

By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character."

Here we see demonstrated a real bond of love, mercy and grace --- We also must learn to love the sinner but hate the sin. Our goal also should be, to be like Jesus who did not to forsake those who are doing battle with the enemy. 

"He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service. And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples. However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ. He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God."

"We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves." 2 Corinthians 4:7,

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2020, 06:40:03 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  No matter how low we have fallen, Christ offers us partnership with Him if we will learn of Him and give Him the whole heart.

As His representatives among men, Christ does not choose angels who have never fallen, but human beings, men of like passions with those they seek to save. Christ took upon Himself humanity, that He might reach humanity. Divinity needed humanity; for it required both the divine and the human to bring salvation to the world. Divinity needed humanity, that humanity might afford a channel of communication between God and man. So with the servants and messengers of Christ. Man needs a power outside of and beyond himself, to restore him to the likeness of God, and enable him to do the work of God; but this does not make the human agency unessential. Humanity lays hold upon divine power, Christ dwells in the heart by faith; and through co-operation with the divine, the power of man becomes efficient for good.   

When we become partakers of God's divine nature (when truly converted and remain converted), when Jesus dwells in the heart through His representative, the Holy Spirit, we will be faithful witnesses of His power to transform our characters that we would reflect His character to a world soon to perish. What a privilege!!

Because we are evil by nature when we come into the world, we need a power from outside of ourselves to do any good thing. Man needs a power outside of and beyond himself, to restore him to the likeness of God, and enable him to do the work of God

The all important question is, what must I do in order to be transformed into His image? By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character. 

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2020, 11:32:28 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

The gospel truth is revealed in how by beholding the character of Christ, we will become transformed into His image. The heart and mind are renewed as we yield the will to Christ, choosing His divine merit (grace) to renew us by His atoning blood that blots out our sins and imbues us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Then the law of love as seen in the Ten Commandments and lived in the life of Jesus will become our joyful experience!

"Jesus reproved His disciples, He warned and cautioned them; but John and his brethren did not leave Him; they chose Jesus, notwithstanding the reproofs. The Saviour did not withdraw from them because of their weakness and errors. They continued to the end to share His trials and to learn the lessons of His life. By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character." {The Desire of Ages, page 296, paragraph 1}

"As His representatives among men, Christ does not choose angels who have never fallen, but human beings, men of like passions with those they seek to save. Christ took upon Himself humanity, that He might reach humanity. Divinity needed humanity; for it required both the divine and the human to bring salvation to the world. Divinity needed humanity, that humanity might afford a channel of communication between God and man. So with the servants and messengers of Christ. Man needs a power outside of and beyond himself, to restore him to the likeness of God, and enable him to do the work of God; but this does not make the human agency unessential. Humanity lays hold upon divine power, Christ dwells in the heart by faith; and through co-operation with the divine, the power of man becomes efficient for good."  {The Desire of Ages, page 296, paragraph 4}

What wondrous love is this as manifest in Christ! What privilege is ours to be linked up with Him in copartnership to seek and to save the lost, and give a living testimony of the power of His grace to make like Jesus in mind and character! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2020, 04:14:53 AM »
Unity is what we need. But how does it come? True unity comes from complete surrender to Christ, so that the converted heart renewed by His divine grace will manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in affectionate obedience to the law of God. Then, no matter how much you may differ from a person because of your genetics or background, if you are both abiding in Christ, there will be true unity in proportion to how you approach Christ. Let us uplift the Christ of Scripture and come into the unity of the faith of Jesus, for He is coming soon for a people that reflect His loveliness!

"The apostles differed widely in habits and disposition. There were the publican, Levi-Matthew, and the fiery zealot Simon, the uncompromising hater of the authority of Rome; the generous, impulsive Peter, and the mean-spirited Judas; Thomas, truehearted, yet timid and fearful, Philip, slow of heart, and inclined to doubt, and the ambitious, outspoken sons of Zebedee, with their brethren. These were brought together, with their different faults, all with inherited and cultivated tendencies to evil; but in and through Christ they were to dwell in the family of God, learning to become one in faith, in doctrine, in spirit. They would have their tests, their grievances, their differences of opinion; but while Christ was abiding in the heart, there could be no dissension. His love would lead to love for one another; the lessons of the Master would lead to the harmonizing of all differences, bringing the disciples into unity, till they would be of one mind and one judgment. Christ is the great center, and they would approach one another just in proportion as they approached the center." {The Desire of Ages, page 296, paragraph 2} 

As we look to Jesus, the One who finishes what He has begun in our lives, we can rejoice that we can look upon our brothers and sisters in Christ and reflect to them His character so that our joy will overflow to reach others, too! A truly unified people in love in Christ is an attractive family to be a part of! Let's allow this love to shine in our countenances and in all we say and do by having constant union and communion with Christ!

Dorine

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2020, 05:35:54 AM »
"All the disciples had serious faults when Jesus called them to His service. Even John, who came into closest association with the meek and lowly One, was not himself naturally meek and yielding. He and his brother were called "the sons of thunder." While they were with Jesus, any slight shown to Him aroused their indignation and combativeness. Evil temper, revenge, the spirit of criticism, were all in the beloved disciple. He was proud, and ambitious to be first in the kingdom of God. But day by day, in contrast with his own violent spirit, he beheld the tenderness and forbearance of Jesus, and heard His lessons of humility and patience. He opened his heart to the divine influence, and became not only a hearer but a doer of the Saviour's words. Self was hid in Christ. He learned to wear the yoke of Christ and to bear His burden."

What a beautiful description of what happens to the child of God who with an open heart spends time each day in the presence of Jesus. We all have faults and weaknesses. Many of Johns I can relate to. It brings such sweet reassurance to my soul to know that Jesus will treat me no different than He did His disciples. If I had been judging between John and Judas I would have rejected John and chosen Judas. How shallow is our human thinking. As I learn of Jesus He works on my weaknesses and develops in me new desires and teaches me what it means to wear His yoke and bear His burden. I'm greatly encouraged to see what God accomplished in the life of John. He promises the same outcome to each of us. While Judas rejected Jesus, John embraced Him and learned to believe and trust Him completely. We have a great hope in Jesus. He is our brother and our redeemer and as Pastor Sean recently said, He will complete what He has begun in us.

I am not worthy this dull tongue repeats it,
 I am not worthy this heart gladly beats it.

Jesus left heaven to die in my place
 What mercy, what love and what grace!

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2020, 09:02:38 AM »
"The apostles differed widely in habits and disposition. There were the publican, Levi-Matthew, and the fiery zealot Simon, the uncompromising hater of the authority of Rome; the generous, impulsive Peter, and the mean-spirited Judas; Thomas, truehearted, yet timid and fearful, Philip, slow of heart, and inclined to doubt, and the ambitious, outspoken sons of Zebedee, with their brethren. These were brought together, with their different faults, all with inherited and cultivated tendencies to evil; but in and through Christ they were to dwell in the family of God, learning to become one in faith, in doctrine, in spirit. They would have their tests, their grievances, their differences of opinion; but while Christ was abiding in the heart, there could be no dissension..

His love would lead to love for one another;

..the lessons of the Master would lead to the harmonizing of all differences, bringing the disciples into unity, till they would be of one mind and one judgment..and they would approach one another just in proportion as they approached the center."

Isn't it an awesome thought that God can use " us ".... with all our human weakness "if" we are willing to kneel at the foot of the cross, confess our sins,  receive His forgiveness, be covered with His grace and truth to go forth to share the wonderful invitation with others according to the gifts that He will provide to enable us to be an ambassador for the Kings of Kings. There is no other higher privilege and calling.

2 Corinthians 5:20...says,
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Dorine

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2021, 04:52:59 AM »
"We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love."

Once again we see the activity of the angels in our lives. All heaven is waiting to work with us to bring salvation to the lost. I had a hard time deciding what thought to post today because there was so much that impressed my heart. The last paragraph brought a sense of unity, closeness and responsibility we have with all the heavenly agencies for the working out of my own salvation while at the same time Christ is using us to bring others to Jesus. The story of the selection of the disciples is very encouraging to me. In spite of my faults and weaknesses Christ will use me when I cling to Him with child like faith, trusting that He will do for me no less than what He did for His disciples.

Beacon

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2021, 05:14:56 AM »

2 Corinthians 5:20

Philip T

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2021, 08:02:50 AM »
  The Saviour knew the character of the men whom He had chosen; all their weaknesses and errors were open before Him; He knew the perils through which they must pass, the responsibility that would rest upon them; and His heart yearned over these chosen ones. Alone upon a mountain near the Sea of Galilee He spent the entire night in prayer for them, while they were sleeping at the foot of the mountain. With the first light of dawn He summoned them to meet Him; for He had something of importance to communicate to them.
  When Jesus had ended His instruction to the disciples, He gathered the little band close about Him, and kneeling in the midst of them, and laying His hands upon their heads, He offered a prayer dedicating them to His sacred work, Thus the Lord's disciple were ordained to the gospel ministry.

We see the importance of prayer before making decisions on our lives, Jesus prayed for the Father's direction in choosing the twelve, the prayed again for them before dedicating them to become His disciples. Then we see in John 17:20, Jesus great intercessory prayer, we see be prayed for us "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word". Jesus prayed for us just as he prayed for his disciples. When we surrender our self totally to Jesus, and believe on Him, we become His disciples as well. We are then to fulfil his last commission in Mathew 28:18-20. We can go forth in confidence that Jesus prays for us just as he did for the twelve.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2021, 09:51:57 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Beacon, and Brother Philip!!

How would you feel if you knew your choice to let God use you meant that angels could communicate through your voice, your typing, and your sharing? Wouldn't you want God to be able to use you to the fullest? As we behold Jesus in His infinite loveliness, He converts our hearts when they are fully yielded to Him, renewing us with His pure motives and thoughts and feelings that align with His word, so our experience will be in harmony with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. Gladly we can obey His Ten Commandments because they are definition of freedom in relationship with God and others!

"We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 3}

The love of Christ constraints us to go forward in speaking with the messages God gives us for this lost world in need of healing, hope, and restoration. What messages do the angels want to share through us? They are clearly given here:

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of His indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:6-12).

May we let the angels give this message through our lips to the WHOLE WORLD!! Will you join me in proclaiming it?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2021, 06:44:45 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean. In order to give the three angels message, we need to be living the gospel message. In order to live the message, we need to be filled with the Holy Spirit, dead to self, and revealing the character of Christ manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit. As Sister Dorine has pointed out, there is much we have discerned in today's reading, but the last paragraph sums it up nicely. When God calls us to evangelism with Him, He knows we need to be trained. So, He accepts us with our character defects, sins.

As we read today, Judas refused to give us his sins and thus we see the results. But, what of the other that Christ chose? Did they become of one heart, one mind, and were they unified in their message? Yes. They gave their hearts wholly to God and were transformed in character. Take note of this since it is contrary to what most professing Christians believe. How many times have you heard that Christ's righteousness covers our sins? This is indeed true of past confessed and forsaken sins, but not unconfessed known sins. God's training points out our defects of character and if we will love Him supremely and turn our will over to Him, then we do not manifest unloving behavior. Self is crucified as long as Jesus is Master of our hearts.

We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love. 

"When we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion" then whose in control?  Don't forget that God wants the whole heart, then His righteousness does not only cover past sins, but is imparted, given to, all who have made a full surrender of their will to Him. What a miracle!! As Brothers Philip and Beacon have shared, then Jesus can use us as He used the apostles in the past.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2021, 05:36:04 AM »

2 Corinthians 5:20...Says...
"Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2021, 06:53:46 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  If we study this chapter carefully we will learn two lessons in regards to choosing those who would join in the work of God. Often in the church we find Judas being used as an example of why we ought to place those who are not consecrated in offices in the church. They point to Judas having been chosen by Jesus, and how He let Judas remain a disciple even when He knew he was the traitor. He loved Judas and dealt with him with much patience and tenderness. He knew exactly who he was and read his heart as an open book. He was indeed one of the twelve apostles.

The Saviour knew the character of the men whom He had chosen; all their weaknesses and errors were open before Him; He knew the perils through which they must pass, the responsibility that would rest upon them; and His heart yearned over these chosen ones..... While Jesus was preparing the disciples for their ordination, one who had not been summoned urged his presence among them. It was Judas Iscariot, a man who professed to be a follower of Christ. He now came forward, soliciting a place in this inner circle of disciples. With great earnestness and apparent sincerity he declared, "Master, I will follow Thee whithersoever Thou goest." Jesus neither repulsed nor welcomed him, but uttered only the mournful words: "The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay His head." Matthew 8:19, 20. Judas believed Jesus to be the Messiah; and by joining the apostles, he hoped to secure a high position in the new kingdom. This hope Jesus designed to cut off by the statement of His poverty......The disciples were anxious that Judas should become one of their number. He was of commanding appearance, a man of keen discernment and executive ability, and they commended him to Jesus as one who would greatly assist Him in His work. They were surprised that Jesus received him so coolly.
     The disciples had been much disappointed that Jesus had not tried to secure the co-operation of the leaders in Israel. They felt that it was a mistake not to strengthen His cause by securing the support of these influential men. If He had repulsed Judas, they would, in their own minds, have questioned the wisdom of their Master. The after history of Judas would show them the danger of allowing any worldly consideration to have weight in deciding the fitness of men for the work of God. The co-operation of such men as the disciples were anxious to secure would have betrayed the work into the hands of its worst enemies. 

What is the second lesson we ought to learn from those who hold office in the church even though they are leading the church away from the gospel message?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2021, 08:33:06 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard! Please share the answer to the question you posed at the end of your post!!

As we appreciate how God uses weak, finite human beings to accomplish His infinite purposes, we should ever realize our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing and the power of His grace to convert the heart and make it the abiding place of the Holy Spirit so that all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be manifest in the life and character. In whatever role a person is called to serve God, they need to do so with a humble reliance on Jesus to keep them moment-by-moment in constant union and communion with Christ by being a partaker of the divine nature offered so freely in the promises of God! Then the heart is cleansed by the blood of Jesus and Christ is able to accomplish His plans through His people!

"'We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves.' 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves 'compassed with infirmity' should be able to 'have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way.' Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 2}  

May our lives today be living testimonies of the power of the gospel so others will look to Jesus because they see He is at work in our lives! As you surrender all to Christ, let His life flow out through you in irrepressible streams of grace and healing love!

Philip T

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2021, 03:48:14 PM »
   [size=12pt]God takes men as they are, with the human elements in their character, and trains them for His service, if they will be disciplined and learn of Him. They are not chosen because they are perfect, but notwithstanding their imperfections, that through the knowledge and practice of the truth, through the grace of Christ, they may become transformed into His image.   [/size]

This is a paragraph to contemplate on. God chooses us as we are, and as we surrender and accept his call to us, he works with us and transforms us a a caterpillar to a butterfly; thus we become in character like Christ. This does not mean we make to mistakes along the path of growth, just look at the disciples and the work Jesus did to transform them into His likeness, He will do the same for us if we will surrender to him and allow Him to work in us. We can become powerful workers for Him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2021, 11:40:01 PM »
Amen brother Philip! Jesus chose 11 disciples who could be disciplined and learn of him. He did not choose Judas.

Pastor Sean, the second lesson we learn from today's reading is that there are times when you do not disfellowship an unbeliever. There are also occasions when you may have to leave one in office who is already there even though they are not in a converted state and they're leading others in the church astray. Jesus attempted to dissuade him, but Judas would not leave. Jesus knew he would not be disciplined nor would he learn. But, Jesus left him and allowed him to become one of the disciples. If He would not allow Judas to stay, then Judas would create more problems and could cause the loss of some of the disciples.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2021, 06:20:03 AM »
As we grow in our understanding of God and the plan of salvation, we are ever learning. God is the God of love and justice. Neither are sacrificed in God's great plan to end sin in the universe for eternity. In today's reading we find that God does not wait for us to cease sinning to call us to Himself. No, look at the disciples whom He chose. They were not yet converted and had need to be educated. They did not know the Lamb had to die. That is quite a foundation principle of our faith. If we will learn of Him who gave all that we might live, He will train us and empower us with His supernatural power to help others. Let us be patient with others as we share our  knowledge and our experience in the things of God.

He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service. And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples. However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ. He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God.
     "We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves." 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves "compassed with infirmity" should be able to "have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way." Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ.