Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--30--"He Ordained Twelve"  (Read 14135 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--30--"He Ordained Twelve"
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 07:05:55 AM »
What love Jesus has for the sinner!!  He did not want Judas in His inner circle, but He knew He could not refuse him without causing great harm to His work. But, how did He treat Judas once he was there? Such love! And, this He does for each of us! What patience!!

The disciples had been much disappointed that Jesus had not tried to secure the co-operation of the leaders in Israel. They felt that it was a mistake not to strengthen His cause by securing the support of these influential men. If He had repulsed Judas, they would, in their own minds, have questioned the wisdom of their Master. The after history of Judas would show them the danger of allowing any worldly consideration to have weight in deciding the fitness of men for the work of God. The co-operation of such men as the disciples were anxious to secure would have betrayed the work into the hands of its worst enemies. 

On the other hand, Jesus knew the character of those who chose. Before they were ordained, they had much to undo. After they were ordained, they still had more to learn and overcome. But, there was a marked difference between Judas and the other eleven whom Jesus did choose.

What wisdom and grace we see in our Lord as we read of His work with the twelve. Are we are patient as Jesus? Not yet. :(  But, He works with us as He worked with the Sons of Thunder.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
Amen, Richard! Praise God for the patience of our Savior, who chooses us to be able to work with Him as He did for His disciples. We are not called because we are perfect, but because, by surrendering the whole heart to Christ, we may receive His perfection of character (a new heart and mind renewed by the Holy Spirit, bearing the ineffaceable marks of the divine nature, which is all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing). As long as this surrender is maintained by faith, the moral perfection of character that Christ imputes and imparts to us at conversion will be continued and matured. Every step in life we may be more like our Savior, but that does not mean that we need to separate from Him for a moment. Let us see our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing. Praise God for such a wonderful Savior as Jesus!!

"As His representatives among men, Christ does not choose angels who have never fallen, but human beings, men of like passions with those they seek to save. Christ took upon Himself humanity, that He might reach humanity. Divinity needed humanity; for it required both the divine and the human to bring salvation to the world. Divinity needed humanity, that humanity might afford a channel of communication between God and man. So with the servants and messengers of Christ. Man needs a power outside of and beyond himself, to restore him to the likeness of God, and enable him to do the work of God; but this does not make the human agency unessential. Humanity lays hold upon divine power, Christ dwells in the heart by faith; and through co-operation with the divine, the power of man becomes efficient for good."  {The Desire of Ages, page 296, paragraph 4} 
     "He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service. And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples. However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ. He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 1} 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
     "He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service. And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples. However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ. He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 1} 

What an inspiring and humbling thought Pastor Sean, that Jesus wants to partner with each of us so that His works will be seen in us. I am continually awed at the depths of love that is shown to mankind even if we like Judas are working for the enemy. How Jesus' heart must have broke to see Judas harden his heart against Jesus and truth.

As I read once again this chapter pointing out all the serious defects of the men Jesus chose it is so encouraging to see how by spending time with Jesus He was able to miraculously change their characters. He will do the same for anyone who will come to Him with a childlike faith desiring to know His will for their lives.

So why didn't Judas have the same experience as the others? We are told....
"Instead of walking in the light, Judas chose to retain his defects. Evil desires, revengeful passions, dark and sullen thoughts, were cherished, until Satan had full control of the man."

How very sad.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 03:55:14 AM »
I love how Jesus unifies us in faith, doctrine, and spirit by the miracle of His grace! Not one of us as disciples today has the same background, but we can all become unified in truth by the Word, Jesus Christ, indwelling our hearts! Let us uplift His loveliness, let us experience the power of conversion (full surrender whereby Christ indwells the heart by His Spirit, revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing)! Then we will see that God's organized church on earth, the Seventh-day Adventist Church (of which all are invited to become an active part through the proclamation and reception of the everlasting gospel, Revelation 14:6-12), will have power to reach souls! We can experience revival and reformation as we approach the great center, Jesus Christ!!!

The apostles differed widely in habits and disposition. There were the publican, Levi-Matthew, and the fiery zealot Simon, the uncompromising hater of the authority of Rome; the generous, impulsive Peter, and the mean-spirited Judas; Thomas, truehearted, yet timid and fearful, Philip, slow of heart, and inclined to doubt, and the ambitious, outspoken sons of Zebedee, with their brethren. These were brought together, with their different faults, all with inherited and cultivated tendencies to evil; but in and through Christ they were to dwell in the family of God, learning to become one in faith, in doctrine, in spirit. They would have their tests, their grievances, their differences of opinion; but while Christ was abiding in the heart, there could be no dissension. His love would lead to love for one another; the lessons of the Master would lead to the harmonizing of all differences, bringing the disciples into unity, till they would be of one mind and one judgment. Christ is the great center, and they would approach one another just in proportion as they approached the center.  {DA 296.2} 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. Once again we read of the omnipotent power of God to transform sinners into saints. Conversion is the end of a long protracted process of wooing by the Holy Spirit. But, after conversion the process of sanctification does not stop. By beholding Jesus, we are transformed more and more to reflect His character. In today's reading, we find that His character is "imparted" to repentant sinners.

God takes men as they are, with the human elements in their character, and trains them for His service, if they will be disciplined and learn of Him. They are not chosen because they are perfect, but notwithstanding their imperfections, that through the knowledge and practice of the truth, through the grace of Christ, they may become transformed into His image.   
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »
"There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ. 
     We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love."

These words pull on my heart strings today. I want to be a labourer with Christ for the salvation of souls every day. This is a privilege that every child of God has.  We are ambassadors for Christ. What higher calling is there?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 02:42:04 AM »
Grace notes--they are those little notes in a score that just add a little "extra" beauty of sound, so to speak. As we behold the infinite loveliness of Jesus and speak of His exceedingly great power to save us and make us ambassadors of Him while we walk this earth, we will meet many a swamped soul. There are those around us that are dwelling in the swamps of this world, and their identity is wrapped up in their infirmity and sin. But Jesus has something better. As you take the hand of a friend and speak of His goodness to you, how He has healed you, blessed you, and caused you walk in His way with a new heart overflowing with all of the fruits of His Spirit, they might look at you and say, "Are you for real? Is that even possible?"

Then you throw in a few grace notes. "Oh yes, I say! I was once bipolar, depressed, medicated, and miserable beyond expression. My life was once a living hell. But Jesus saved me and revealed His grace to me! I have been set free!!" You need not overly elaborate. That "grace note" of your mention of how lost and hopeless you once were can help convince the soul of your brother or sister to realize that they need not remain as a "swamp manager" of their sinful problems, but can rather look to the Heavenly home where God manages all things well, and orchestrates all circumstances in a way that is best (Romans 8:28 is happening all the time). Then trust Him! Love Him who first loved you by beholding Jesus!! I love Him because He created me, purchased me back from a living death, and, as it is appropriate, I praise God for how His Spirit prompts me to share a few "grace notes" in the song of the redeemed--of Moses and the Lamb--that He is teaching me.

Jesus longs for you to learn of His love. He is pouring out love that is stronger than death (look to the cross for such infinite evidence) and is inviting you to trust Him. What do you have to lose? He invites you to yield your sin-polluted heart to Him so He can purify and renew it. Yes, there will be a cross, but it is the cross of Christ that binds us to Him, and that is a cross attended with the glory of God, whose self-sacrifice is the very essence of heaven's bliss (we can start enjoying that right now through constant union and communion with Christ).

In spending time with Jesus this morning, I was so encouraged by this thought:

"'We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves.' 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves 'compassed with infirmity' should be able to 'have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way.' Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ.  {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 2}

Are you a great sinner? Then you are preeminently qualified for Jesus to use you if you will but surrender fully to Him so that He can write a story (or more like choreograph a movie) in your life that will testify of His matchless loveliness of character in a way that not even angels could better display. What could be better than this high calling? I pray you will join me today in such an experience of living faith with Jesus who transforms the weakest of the weak to become like Him in mind and character! Praise God!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 09:36:52 PM »
Yes, indeed, I am a great sinner in constant need of a Savior!  He and He only can save me. If I will hold on to Him with all I have, then He will not let me go!  He reminds me of how He has helped me over the years. What a Savior is my Lord!!

Jesus reproved His disciples, He warned and cautioned them; but John and his brethren did not leave Him; they chose Jesus, notwithstanding the reproofs. The Saviour did not withdraw from them because of their weakness and errors. They continued to the end to share His trials and to learn the lessons of His life. By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character. 

Praise God He reproves me! He loves me!!  By beholding Him daily, we are transformed into His image (2 Cor. 3:18)!!

Chamu

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 05:23:21 AM »
"Yet when Judas joined the disciples, he was not insensible to the beauty of the character of Christ. He felt the influence of that divine power which was drawing souls to the Saviour. He who came not to break the bruised reed nor quench the smoking flax would not repulse this soul while even one desire was reaching toward the light. The Saviour read the heart of Judas; He knew the depths of iniquity to which, unless delivered by the grace of God, Judas would sink. In connecting this man with Himself, He placed him where he might, day by day, be brought in contact with the out flowing of His own unselfish love. If he would open his heart to Christ, divine grace would banish the demon of selfishness, and even Judas might become a subject of the kingdom of God."

I understand that there is a chapter entirely about Judas, but in this one we just get some bits and pieces about him. Judas's life to many presents a certain difficult as many try to contemplate his act in betraying Jesus. Without venturing much into it though there is something astonishing i just read. Even tho our Saviour knew that Judas was going to betray Him, He gave him every necessary opportunity (if its not more) to repent. He did not treat him like he was destined to betray Him of which we wasn't. There was a possibility for Judas to repent "The Saviour read the heart of Judas; He knew the depths of iniquity to which, unless delivered by the grace of God, Judas would sink". Lesson, God have done everything possible for everyone and anyone to be saved, we must then choose to accept the Gift He offered and gifts cannot be enforced on anyone. I asked my friend this other day. "WHATS MORE DIFFICULT TO BE SAVED OR TO BE LOST??". The devil would have us think that its more difficult to be saved of which its a lie. With the extend that God has gone to seek the lost, its much easier to be saved than to be lost yet amazingly only few will choose to walk in the narrow way."If he would open his heart to Christ, divine grace would banish the demon of selfishness, and even Judas might become a subject of the kingdom of God"
As the mother watches for the smile of recognition from her little child, which tells of the dawning intelligence, so does Christ watch for the expression of grateful love, which shows that spiritual life is begun in the soul. DA 191.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 03:55:00 AM »
Amen, Chamu! Judas could have been changed if he would not only behold the loveliness of Jesus, but cooperate with the Holy Spirit in the transformation of his character. While it is easier to be saved than to be lost if we are beholding and abiding in Christ with a clear understanding of the gospel, the reason why it is hard for so many to be saved is because they have accepted a false idea of salvation. Judas is a case in point. He did not believe in Jesus as the kind of Messiah that He actually was (even though he could have known if he would yield up his own notions and ideas of worldly greatness connected with a Messiah who would rule the nations and give Israel temporal glory).

How is it today? Has deception stopped, even in the Seventh-day Adventist Church? No--in fact, the deceptions are greater. Many will even say, "It is easier to be saved than to be lost" while they are practicing known sins and neglecting known duties, hardening the heart against Christ whom they profess to love and obey. Thus, the character is being formed in a lost direction while professing acceptance of Jesus. This is not the genuine faith of Jesus that works by love and purifies the soul. The difficulty again is that the gospel has been perverted. That is why this time we spend beholding the loveliness of Jesus each morning, as we read the Bible and The Desire of Ages, is so important. Salvation means deliverance from sin, and salvation brings a transformation of character in Christ, so that the repentant soul who lives by faith on the Son of God will have manifest in the life all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, gladly obeying all the light from God's law that is revealed and known. God is so merciful and longsuffering. But when Judas really saw that Jesus was not going to offer a temporal kingdom, Judas was determined to fulfill his own wayward will, as he would go on to betray Him. We need Jesus continually in order to do any good thing. Let us look to Jesus and live, and accept the truth that reproves our sins and calls us to a life of ever-deepening repentance because we are ever seeing how good God is to us in Christ!

May we become transformed, connecting links with Christ to seek and save the lost is my prayer this morning!

"'We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves.' 2 Corinthians 4:7, R. V. This is why the preaching of the gospel was committed to erring men rather than to the angels. It is manifest that the power which works through the weakness of humanity is the power of God; and thus we are encouraged to believe that the power which can help others as weak as ourselves can help us. And those who are themselves 'compassed with infirmity' should be able to 'have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way.' Hebrews 5:2. Having been in peril themselves, they are acquainted with the dangers and difficulties of the way, and for this reason are called to reach out for others in like peril. There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 297, paragraph 2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean.   Jesus great desire is that we work with Him for the salvation of souls. What a privilege!

We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love. 

The angles can speak through our voices if we will give ourselves in wholehearted devotion holding nothing  back.

Beacon

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2018, 06:49:34 PM »
"He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service. And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples. However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ. He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God." DA 297 P1

Isn't it an awesome thought that God can use " us ".... with all our human weakness "if" we are willing to kneel at the foot of the cross, confess our sins,  receive His forgiveness, be covered with His grace and truth to go forth to share the wonderful invitation with others according to the gifts that He will provide to enable us to be an ambassador for the Kings of Kings. There is no other higher privilege and calling.

Several times it has been my highest honor and privilege to baptize the ones whom I've studied with ( with the blessing of the local pastor and local conference ) as they express their desire to join God's Remnant Church and I can testify that there in no higher joy on this planet. Let us come to the foot of the cross daily and ask the Lord to lead and guide. To be willing to be used each day as he sees fit. Time is short let us not get distracted from our mission.  God Bless You All - Today & Always
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2018, 05:29:15 AM »
Amen, dear Brother!! There is no greater joy than finding those who are open to the truth as it is in Jesus! This is why God leaves us on this dark blot in the universe. We are to lead others to see the loveliness of Jesus. It is a miracle that we can be transformed to be His witnesses. What a privilege!

I like the contrast presented in today's reading between John and Judas. Both had the same opportunities and both had serious defects of character when they came to Jesus. It is up to us as to what we do with the opportunities God gives us.

Speaking first of Judas:

When he came into association with Jesus, he had some precious traits of character that might have been made a blessing to the church. If he had been willing to wear the yoke of Christ, he might have been among the chief of the apostles; but he hardened his heart when his defects were pointed out, and in pride and rebellion chose his own selfish ambitions, and thus unfitted himself for the work that God would have given him to do.
     All the disciples had serious faults when Jesus called them to His service. Even John, who came into closest association with the meek and lowly One, was not himself naturally meek and yielding. He and his brother were called "the sons of thunder." While they were with Jesus, any slight shown to Him aroused their indignation and combativeness. Evil temper, revenge, the spirit of criticism, were all in the beloved disciple. He was proud, and ambitious to be first in the kingdom of God. But day by day, in contrast with his own violent spirit, he beheld the tenderness and forbearance of Jesus, and heard His lessons of humility and patience. He opened his heart to the divine influence, and became not only a hearer but a doer of the Saviour's words. Self was hid in Christ. He learned to wear the yoke of Christ and to bear His burden. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »
Amen, my dear brothers! I appreciate, Beacon, your testimony of how God has given you the privilege of seeing souls learn of Christ and be baptized! As a pastor, I also find great joy not just in seeing a person be baptized, but how God continues to transform their character after baptism as the person grows to be more like Christ and, seeing their weakness and errors, come to discern their continual need of Jesus to do any good thing.

I am refreshed and encouraged to behold Christ and how He offers us copartnership with Himself, not because we are flawless and without need of growth, but because He knows that if we will spend time with Him (in the atmosphere of His grace, as we learn to yield the whole heart to Him), that we will be transformed into His likeness. Not only is it a great joy to see this happen in others' lives, but the internal miracle of seeing, experiencing, and knowing how God changes us is so amazing that it cannot be put in words--it must be experienced!!

"Jesus reproved His disciples, He warned and cautioned them; but John and his brethren did not leave Him; they chose Jesus, notwithstanding the reproofs. The Saviour did not withdraw from them because of their weakness and errors. They continued to the end to share His trials and to learn the lessons of His life. By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character." {The Desire of Ages, page 296, paragraph 1}

How do we know Jesus loves us? One of the ways is found in the message to the Laodiceans: "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent" (Revelation 3:19). Jesus loves us and reproves us, so that we can become transformed into His likeness! Jesus' love is the key in this whole experience--and if we will stay with Jesus, the change will continue. As we abide in Christ, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives, not one will be missing. But Jesus will reprove us and show us where there are areas of our character that are getting in the way of us being more fruitful, and so He reveals to us our need of healing and repentance, all the while loving us so deeply that if we keep our eyes fixed on Christ, there is never cause for us to fall under a cloud of discouragement. What a wonderful Savior we have! The difference between Judas and John is quite simple: Judas did not stay with Jesus; on the night of the last supper he chose to leave the upper chamber to go do "his plans," but John stayed there. We need to stay with Jesus--not just "in the same room" so to speak, but to have Him abide in the heart by a full surrender to Him--unreserved to what His plans are and His will is for our lives!!! 

Dorine

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2018, 06:16:19 AM »
"All the disciples had serious faults when Jesus called them to His service. Even John, who came into closest association with the meek and lowly One, was not himself naturally meek and yielding. He and his brother were called "the sons of thunder." While they were with Jesus, any slight shown to Him aroused their indignation and combativeness. Evil temper, revenge, the spirit of criticism, were all in the beloved disciple. He was proud, and ambitious to be first in the kingdom of God. But day by day, in contrast with his own violent spirit, he beheld the tenderness and forbearance of Jesus, and heard His lessons of humility and patience. He opened his heart to the divine influence, and became not only a hearer but a doer of the Saviour's words. Self was hid in Christ. He learned to wear the yoke of Christ and to bear His burden."

This should give us much hope and assurance that what Jesus did for John He can do for us. What made the difference between John and Judas was the desires of their hearts and the willingness [or not] to let go of evil tendencies and let God moment by moment, day by day transform them into His character. Looking at outward appearances, Judas may have seemed far more worthy of his position than did John who wore his emotions on his sleeve. What a lesson for us today. As the Holy Spirit reveals our weaknesses to us are we like Judas who recognized his condition but hung on to the evil desires of his heart. Or are we like John who in recognizing his condition allowed the influence of Jesus to soften and purify his heart.

These thoughts touched my heart this morning as I examined my own motives in following Jesus.

Beacon

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 09:26:36 PM »
"As His representatives among men, Christ does not choose angels who have never fallen, but human beings, men of like passions with those they seek to save. Christ took upon Himself humanity, that He might reach humanity. Divinity needed humanity; for it required both the divine and the human to bring salvation to the world. "

Through many experiences of life how often we have found comfort and courage from another brother or sister who has experienced our challenges and we find strength to press on. Thus as we meet those in need who are passing through deep valleys spiritually and physically we are able to share the sustaining love and hope available through our Lord and Saviour as we point them to Him who is able!

"So with the servants and messengers of Christ. Man needs a power outside of and beyond himself, to restore him to the likeness of God, and enable him to do the work of God; but this does not make the human agency unessential. Humanity lays hold upon divine power, Christ dwells in the heart by faith; and through co-operation with the divine, the power of man becomes efficient for good. " {DA 296.4}

"He who called the fisherman of Galilee is still calling men to His service. And He is just as willing to manifest His power through us as through the first disciples. However imperfect and sinful we may be, the Lord holds out to us the offer of partnership with Himself, of apprenticeship to Christ. He invites us to come under the divine instruction, that, uniting with Christ, we may work the works of God."

Brother's and Sister's in Christ....We have been invited to become " Ambassadors " for the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!! What an awesome privilege, responsibility, and honor. Let us seek daily for His wisdom & grace so that all humanity that we come in contact with will be drawn to our loving, forgiving , saving Jesus.[/u] 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2019, 04:49:12 AM »
Amen, Beacon! Being ambassadors for Christ, let us unitedly give a clear message of the gospel!

But what is unity? As I contemplate the genius of Jesus in calling such different men to be His apostles, I am reminded that the more naturally we differ from one another, the more keenly we will sense our continual need of Jesus to give us that unity which is the strength of the church. When Christ is on the throne of the heart, there can be no dissension, for each will be willing to yield to his brother, and in Christ there can be wisdom to guide and direct His work. God appoints leaders who can lead by the example of self-sacrificing service, true compassion, and wholehearted devotion to the will of God.

"The apostles differed widely in habits and disposition. There were the publican, Levi-Matthew, and the fiery zealot Simon, the uncompromising hater of the authority of Rome; the generous, impulsive Peter, and the mean-spirited Judas; Thomas, truehearted, yet timid and fearful, Philip, slow of heart, and inclined to doubt, and the ambitious, outspoken sons of Zebedee, with their brethren. These were brought together, with their different faults, all with inherited and cultivated tendencies to evil; but in and through Christ they were to dwell in the family of God, learning to become one in faith, in doctrine, in spirit. They would have their tests, their grievances, their differences of opinion; but while Christ was abiding in the heart, there could be no dissension. His love would lead to love for one another; the lessons of the Master would lead to the harmonizing of all differences, bringing the disciples into unity, till they would be of one mind and one judgment. Christ is the great center, and they would approach one another just in proportion as they approached the center."  {The Desire of Ages, page 296, paragraph 2} 

As we behold the loveliness of Jesus and yield the whole heart to Him, the miracle of conversion takes place, and the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are the spontaneous result of union and communion with Christ. May we go forth to invite others to join in the joy of sharing Christ in mind and character with the unique personality God has given us!

Beacon

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 06:59:27 PM »
 "Jesus reproved His disciples, He warned and cautioned them;but John and  his brethren did not leave Him; they chose Jesus, notwithstanding the reproofs. The Saviour did not withdraw from them because of their weakness and errors. They continued to the end to share His trials and to learn the lessons of His life. By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character."

What a power packed short paragraph!! It is loaded with guidelines which demonstrate what a healthy relationship with "Jesus" and with "One Another" really should look like and if put into practice in our lives will produce a Holy Transformation resulting in the saving of many souls into God's Everlasting Kingdom. Let us humbly seek to be more like Jesus and remember His promise for the Bible says in the Gospel of  Luke 11:9-10  "And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Dorine

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2019, 04:57:24 AM »
"God takes men as they are, with the human elements in their character, and trains them for His service, if they will be disciplined and learn of Him. They are not chosen because they are perfect, but notwithstanding their imperfections, that through the knowledge and practice of the truth, through the grace of Christ, they may become transformed into His image."

I'm so thankful for God's mercy again this morning. I'm thankful that God takes us as we are but I'm even more thankful that He doesn't leave us as we are. I'm so grateful to God that He can take someone like me and transform me into His image if I'm willing to be surrendered to His will. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2019, 05:50:27 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!  I too was impressed that we are continually being pointed to this wonderful truth, we can be transformed in character. And, we are told how it happens. Soon we shall hear this being preached from our pulpits and published on our presses.

God takes men as they are, with the human elements in their character, and trains them for His service, if they will be disciplined and learn of Him. They are not chosen because they are perfect, but notwithstanding their imperfections, that through the knowledge and practice of the truth, through the grace of Christ, they may become transformed into His image. 

"Jesus reproved His disciples, He warned and cautioned them;but John and  his brethren did not leave Him; they chose Jesus, notwithstanding the reproofs. The Saviour did not withdraw from them because of their weakness and errors. They continued to the end to share His trials and to learn the lessons of His life. By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character."

From chapter 8:

It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross.

As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ’s, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be “changed into the same image from glory to glory.” 2 Corinthians 3:18. pg 83.

And in chapter 72 we read:

He who beholds the Saviour’s matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said, “God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.” Galatians 6:14. pg  661.

Notice that being transformed in character means that the heart is "purified." When converted we are given a new heart that has no pride as long as we remain reconciled to God. There is no unknown pride hidden in the purified heart no matter who teaches otherwise. Self has been crucified as long as the Holy Spirit indwells the heart. When we allow our minds to wander away from Christ, then the carnal heart returns and we have no protection from Satan and sin.