Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--28--Levi-Matthew  (Read 11242 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--28--Levi-Matthew
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2021, 09:31:14 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean!! Trials will come, trials have come! We glory in them for they work for God's glory and our good as we abide in Jesus and He in us.

What was today's reading all about? Levi-Matthew. What is so important about Matthew? He and his friends were of "doubtful reputation," yet Jesus chose him as an evangelist. He sat down with Matthew and his friends and He knew it was going to be an offense against the religious, social, and national customs.

The entertainment was given in honor of Jesus, and He did not hesitate to accept the courtesy. He well knew that this would give offense to the Pharisaic party, and would also compromise Him in the eyes of the people. But no question of policy could influence His movements. With Him external distinctions weighed nothing. That which appealed to His heart was a soul thirsting for the water of life.
     Jesus sat as an honored guest at the table of the publicans, by His sympathy and social kindliness showing that He recognized the dignity of humanity; and men longed to become worthy of His confidence. Upon their thirsty hearts His words fell with blessed, life-giving power. New impulses were awakened, and the possibility of a new life opened to these outcasts of society.   
     At such gatherings as this, not a few were impressed by the Saviour's teaching who did not acknowledge Him until after His ascension. When the Holy Spirit was poured out, and three thousand were converted in a day, there were among them many who first heard the truth at the table of the publicans, and some of these became messengers of the gospel. To Matthew himself the example of Jesus at the feast was a constant lesson. The despised publican became one of the most devoted evangelists, in his own ministry following closely in his Master's steps. 

So it will be in our day. There are some of "doubtful reputation" that if we will allow the character of Christ to be manifest in us will seek to know how it is that we could be so loving and caring for those who have been neglected by the world.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2022, 08:14:55 PM »
"When the Holy Spirit was poured out, and three thousand were converted in a day...

"There were among them many who first heard the truth at the table of the publicans, and some of these became messengers of the gospel."

"To Matthew himself, the example of Jesus at the feast was a constant lesson. The despised publican became one of the most devoted evangelists, in his own ministry following closely in his Master's steps."

"To Matthew in his wealth, and to Andrew and Peter in their poverty, the same test was brought; the same consecration was made by each."

"At the moment of success, when the nets were filled with fish, and the impulses of the old life were strongest, Jesus asked the disciples at the sea to leave all for the work of the gospel."

"So every soul is tested as to whether the desire for temporal good or for fellowship with Christ is strongest"

Today Jesus is inviting us all to Take Up the Cross and Follow Him.

WHAT WILL OUR RESPONSE BE?

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2022, 05:04:59 AM »
"Jesus sat as an honored guest at the table of the publicans, by His sympathy and social kindliness showing that He recognized the dignity of humanity; and men longed to become worthy of His confidence. Upon their thirsty hearts His words fell with blessed, life-giving power. New impulses were awakened, and the possibility of a new life opened to these outcasts of society."

As I sit at the feet of Jesus each morning meditating on His words I am learning day by day the ways in which He wants me to walk. He is a loving, compassionate friend to sinners. Do we present Him as such in the way in which we talk and live? The Holy Spirit will use us to bring hope to the hopeless and to show them the better way. 
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2022, 07:37:34 PM »
Oh yes, and it is so difficult for some who appear to be beyond help.   We do what we can, just as Jesus did. An encouraging word if nothing else

Over and over again we hear the same message regarding what God wants to do for us. And, it is so foreign to the church that many just don't want to hear it.

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise." Psalm 51:17. Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest.

Grace is more than a word, it is the power that transforms the life (the character) when the heart is fully given to God.

And as Brother Beacon has pointed out, when things are going well for us in the world, the test come. Where will we spend our time, in ministering to others, or working in the world for our prosperity in it? Which is more important? Where is our heart? In the world or in Christ?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2022, 08:12:18 PM »
"Jesus sat as an honored guest at the table of the publicans."

"By His sympathy and social kindliness showing that He recognized the dignity of humanity."

"Men longed to become worthy of His confidence."

"Upon their thirsty hearts His words fell with blessed, life-giving power. New impulses were awakened, and the possibility of a new life opened to these outcasts of society."

"At such gatherings as this, not a few were impressed by the Saviour's teaching who did not acknowledge Him until after His ascension. When the Holy Spirit was poured out, and three thousand were converted in a day, there were among them many who first heard the truth at the table of the publicans."

"To Matthew himself the example of Jesus at the feast was a constant lesson."

"The despised publican became one of the most devoted evangelists, in his own ministry following closely in his Master's steps."

Let us turn our eyes upon Jesus The One who's sees Limitless Possibilities in all humanity and pray that we might be true representatives of...His Saving Grace. 

=============================

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics & Music: Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Dorine

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2022, 04:46:24 AM »
"Principle is always exacting. No man can succeed in the service of God unless his whole heart is in the work and he counts all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ. No man who makes any reserve can be the disciple of Christ, much less can he be His colaborer. When men appreciate the great salvation, the self-sacrifice seen in Christ's life will be seen in theirs. Wherever He leads the way, they will rejoice to follow."

It is with joy that we as God's children take up the work that Jesus has left for us to do. We serve not because we are obliged to but because we count it a great privilege to do so. We willingly and cheerfully surrender all to Jesus  ministering to those who are outcasts of society and those who are hungering for truth. What a mission field we have before us as we labour together with God.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2022, 05:31:42 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

"'The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.' Psalm 51:17. Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest." {The Desire of Ages, page 280, paragraph 4} 

True repentance is a gift from God. By beholding Christ continually, yielding the whole heart to Him, we can experience true conversion and growth in character whereby not only all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifest without one missing, but each trait of Christ's character in us grows in expression and application to bless others as we gladly obey God from the new heart! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
Every day we are beholding the loveliness of Jesus. Every day we grow closer and closer to the One who loves us more and more. Such a blessing! As Pastor Sean has seen, "By beholding Christ continually, yielding the whole heart to Him, we can experience true conversion and growth in character..."  Sister Dorine has pointed out that "no man can succeed in the service of God unless his whole heart is in the work." We can hold nothing back when we love Jesus with the whole heart. We surrender all that we are and all that we have to Him who gave all for us while we were yet sinners. And Brother Beacon encourages us: "O’er us sin no more hath dominion For more than conqu’rors we are!"  Amen!!

What a blessing to come into unity of Spirit and doctrine!! For those who are reading, come and join with us in sharing what Jesus is revealing to you! Witness the power of grace in your life to a world soon to perish.

When Jesus returned to His Father, were the disciples left with His presence? Yes, they were, but He did not leave them without help. While He cannot be in all places since He gave that up when He took upon Himself our nature and is bound by His humanity, He said He would send One who would help us, the Comforter, the third Person of the godhead, the Holy Spirit.

When He should come forth from the tomb, their sorrow would be turned to joy. After His ascension He was to be absent in person; but through the Comforter He would still be with them, and they were not to spend their time in mourning. This was what Satan wanted. He desired them to give the world the impression that they had been deceived and disappointed; but by faith they were to look to the sanctuary above, where Jesus was ministering for them; they were to open their hearts to the Holy Spirit, His representative, and to rejoice in the light of His presence. Yet days of temptation and trial would come, when they would be brought into conflict with the rulers of this world, and the leaders of the kingdom of darkness; when Christ was not personally with them, and they failed to discern the Comforter, then it would be more fitting for them to fast.

Beacon

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2022, 08:04:20 PM »
"When Jesus bade Peter and his companions follow Him, immediately they left their boats and nets."

"Some of these disciples had friends dependent on them for support; but when they received the Saviour's invitation, they did not hesitate, and inquire, How shall I live, and sustain my family?

"They were obedient to the call and when afterward Jesus asked them..."

"When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye anything?" they could answer, "Nothing." Luke 22:35."

"To Matthew in his wealth, and to Andrew and Peter in their poverty, the same test was brought; the same consecration was made by each."

"At the moment of success, when the nets were filled with fish, and the impulses of the old life were strongest, Jesus asked the disciples at the sea to leave all for the work of the gospel."

"So every soul is tested as to whether the desire for temporal good or for fellowship with Christ is strongest"

WHAT WILL OUR RESPONSE BE?

==========================

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)

HAPPY SABBATH JESUS, AND TO ALL GOD'S CHILDREN AROUND THE WORLD AND BEYOND!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2022, 04:02:35 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Happy Sabbath! Let us allow Jesus to do in us the true heart work that makes us like Him in mind and character as we overcome sin through union and communion with Him, receiving new hearts that have all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we gladly obey God's law of love!

"'The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.' Psalm 51:17. Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest." {The Desire of Ages, page 280, paragraph 4}

What a joy to have Jesus revealed in our characters today to bless others in willing service! Go forth with Christ and let Him be revealed to this world I harmony with the present truth messages for this time calling people to prepare for His return in experiencing true conversion and proclaiming the three angels' messages of Revelation 14! Christ is coming!! He will prepare our hearts as we grow in His grace!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2022, 08:35:20 AM »
Amen my dear brother!!  Sadly the church remains in a Laodicean condition where many do not know their spiritual destitution. The Words of Jesus are a warning to the church of today.

As it was in the days of Christ, so it is now; the Pharisees do not know their spiritual destitution. To them comes the message, "Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear." Revelation 3:17, 18. Faith and love are the gold tried in the fire. But with many the gold has become dim, and the rich treasure has been lost. The righteousness of Christ is to them as a robe unworn, a fountain untouched. To them it is said, "I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent." Revelation 2:4, 5.
     "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise." Psalm 51:17. Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest.

"When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye anything?" they could answer, "Nothing." Luke 22:35."

Amen Brother Beacon!! I can testify of the same. God provides for all we need when trusting in Him.