Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--28--Levi-Matthew  (Read 11241 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--28--Levi-Matthew
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2019, 04:08:30 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Happy Sabbath to all!

What a joy it is to be able to surrender all to Christ as He draws us by His love--for His love is better than life!

"To Matthew in his wealth, and to Andrew and Peter in their poverty, the same test was brought; the same consecration was made by each. At the moment of success, when the nets were filled with fish, and the impulses of the old life were strongest, Jesus asked the disciples at the sea to leave all for the work of the gospel. So every soul is tested as to whether the desire for temporal good or for fellowship with Christ is strongest." {The Desire of Ages, page 273, paragraph 4}

The desire for Jesus will be strongest as we behold Him and learn of Him, renouncing our own will and ways to receive His--a new life altogether!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2019, 06:21:06 AM »
Amen!  Who shall we follow? The World or Christ? As Brother Beacon pointed out, the priests "turned away from the living truth and the power of God."  Such foolishness! Shall we do the same? Not if we will spend time with Jesus. By beholding we become changed and will not follow those who do not love God.

So it was with Levi-Mathew.

To this class belonged Levi-Matthew, who, after the four disciples at Gennesaret, was the next to be called to Christ's service. The Pharisees had judged Matthew according to his employment, but Jesus saw in this man a heart open for the reception of truth. Matthew had listened to the Saviour's teaching. As the convicting Spirit of God revealed his sinfulness, he longed to seek help from Christ;

We cannot succeed in the work of evangelism unless we make a whole heart sacrifice. God wants the whole heart, not part of it. Self must die in order that a new life reflecting Christ can  be seen by the world. Why would we  not want this power in our life?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2019, 01:47:41 PM »
The Pharisees thought themselves too wise to need instruction, too righteous to need salvation, too highly honored to need the honor that comes from Christ. The Saviour turned away from them to find others who would receive the message of heaven. In the untutored fishermen, in the publican at the market place, in the woman of Samaria, in the common people who heard Him gladly, He found His new bottles for the new wine. The instrumentalities to be used in the gospel work are those souls who gladly receive the light which God sends them. These are His agencies for imparting the knowledge of truth to the world. If through the grace of Christ His people will become new bottles, He will fill them with new wine.

It melts my heart to see how patient, merciful and long suffering Jesus is toward the lost. Where would any of us be without it? We don't deserve it but He knows that and took our sins upon Himself so that we may live. All He asks for is our hearts so He may transform them into His character. When that happens others will see the difference and will be drawn to know Him too. Let's open God's word and not just read it but with the aid of the Holy Spirit examine every thought. We don't want just a form of Godliness do we? We want to serve Christ from a completely submitted heart and transformed life.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
"When Jesus bade Peter and his companions follow Him, immediately they left their boats and nets. Some of these disciples had friends dependent on them for support; but when they received the Saviour's invitation, they did not hesitate, and inquire, How shall I live, and sustain my family? They were obedient to the call; and when afterward Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye anything?" they could answer, "Nothing." Luke 22:35."

"To Matthew in his wealth, and to Andrew and Peter in their poverty, the same test was brought; the same consecration was made by each at the moment of success, when the nets were filled with fish, and the impulses of the old life were strongest, Jesus asked the disciples at the sea to leave all for the work of the gospel. So every soul is tested as to whether the desire for temporal good or for fellowship with Christ is strongest. Principle is always exacting. No man who makes any reserve can be the disciple of Christ, much less can he be His colaborer. When men appreciate the great salvation, the self-sacrifice seen in Christ's life will be seen in theirs. Wherever He leads the way, they will rejoice to follow."

I invite you to join with me today. My prayer is...."Take my life and let it be consecrated Lord to Thee." " Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to the cross I cling. Fill my cup Lord and let it be consecrated, only to Thee. 
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2019, 05:58:44 AM »
The Prince of heaven was among His people. The greatest gift of God had been given to the world. Joy to the poor; for Christ had come to make them heirs of His kingdom. Joy to the rich; for He would teach them how to secure eternal riches. Joy to the ignorant; He would make them wise unto salvation. Joy to the learned; He would open to them deeper mysteries than they had ever fathomed; truths that had been hidden from the foundation of the world would be opened to men by the Saviour's mission.

God's promises never fail but they do come with conditions. To experience this joy we must accept this precious gift of God and give Him our whole hearts. As I read these accounts on the life of Christ my heart sinks to think of Who they had walking in their midst day after day yet knew it not because of their unbelief. Then I pray, Lord, please help me with the unbelief in my own heart and give me the trust of an innocent little child.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2019, 08:16:04 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

Jesus will do a new thing! He invites us to become renewed by His grace and have a transformed experience! As surely as the old ways of tradition and man-made wisdom cannot bear the wisdom and vital truth of God, we need a daily baptism of the Holy Sprit that we may serve Christ aright!

"Continuing His answer to the disciples of John, Jesus spoke a parable, saying, 'No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old.' The message of John the Baptist was not to be interwoven with tradition and superstition. An attempt to blend the pretense of the Pharisees with the devotion of John would only make more evident the breach between them." {The Desire of Ages, page 278, paragraph 3}

We must base our faith and experience upon the word of God which reveals the loveliness of Jesus. By beholding His loveliness and grace, we become transformed that we may have revealed in and through us all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! May the true devotion of John which revealed sincerity and earnest purpose be how we serve God before Jesus returns in power and great glory with as much greater earnestness as our mission is global to help the whole world know that JESUS IS COMING AGAIN to make ALL THINGS NEW! The only ones who will be ready to meet Him in peace are those who have daily allowed Christ to renew them to receive a new heart and mind, thus serving God by the divine nature imparted by God!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2019, 08:57:48 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. I like the object lesson Jesus gives us. What does placing a new garment on an old mean to us? How can the gospel of grace be blended with the teaching that one is saved in his sin? It cannot. Grace transforms the life. John was baptizing those who repented of sin and wanted to quit hurting God and others. To teach or believe one is saved in sin is at great odds with Jesus suffering and dying that we might be saved from sin not in sin.

Our lesson today began with a very pointed truth:

Principle is always exacting. No man can succeed in the service of God unless his whole heart is in the work and he counts all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ. No man who makes any reserve can be the disciple of Christ, much less can he be His colaborer. When men appreciate the great salvation, the self-sacrifice seen in Christ's life will be seen in theirs. Wherever He leads the way, they will rejoice to follow.

With God it is all or nothing. There is no in between. It is true that if we sin, we have a Mediator who will continue to give us time to repent if the heart is not hardened beyond being changed. "I say these things that you sin not, but if we sin, we have a Mediator, Christ Jesus." Moses did indeed sin at the end of his life, but he was not cast aside. No, Christ brought him back to repentance and because he had reached the point of ceasing from sin, he was raised from the grave within three days.

And our lesson closes by making that which has been perverted today by church leaders like Saul and Nicodemus very clear. The blind know not their true condition:

As it was in the days of Christ, so it is now; the Pharisees do not know their spiritual destitution. To them comes the message, "Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear." Revelation 3:17, 18. Faith and love are the gold tried in the fire. But with many the gold has become dim, and the rich treasure has been lost. The righteousness of Christ is to them as a robe unworn, a fountain untouched. To them it is said, "I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent." Revelation 2:4, 5.
     "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise." Psalm 51:17. Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest.

Amen! God loves us and sacrificed His Son that we might know it, and turn from our sin to our Lord and savior. Then He will transform the life. We will be "new creatures" because we are filled with the Holy Spirit and yes, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives! Miracles of all miracles!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2020, 04:46:28 PM »
"Of the Roman officials in Palestine, none were more hated than the publicans. The fact that the taxes were imposed by a foreign power was a continual irritation to the Jews, being a reminder that their independence had departed. And the taxgatherers were not merely the instruments of Roman oppression; they were extortioners on their own account, enriching themselves at the expense of the people. A Jew who accepted this office at the hands of the Romans was looked upon as betraying the honor of his nation. He was despised as an apostate, and was classed with the vilest of society."

"But"... Jesus saw in this man a heart open for the reception of truth. Matthew had listened to the Saviour's teaching. As the convicting Spirit of God revealed his sinfulness, he longed to seek help from Christ; but he was accustomed to the exclusiveness of the rabbis, and had no thought that this Great Teacher would notice him.

"Sitting at his toll booth one day, the publican saw Jesus approaching. Great was his astonishment to hear the words addressed to himself, "Follow Me." Matthew "left all, rose up, and followed Him." There was no hesitation, no questioning, no thought of the lucrative business to be exchanged for poverty and hardship. It was enough for him that he was to be with Jesus, that he might listen to His words, and unite with Him in His work."

WHAT A TREMENDOUS LESSON ON PRE-JUDGING OTHERS....NO WONDER JESUS SAID....
in Matthew 7 
"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2020, 04:20:58 AM »
Naturally in our fallen condition there are things that tend to draw us away from Christ. But if we will look into the face of Jesus and hear His words by faith calling us to something better than we can ask or think--even though it means a life of self-sacrifice--if we truly realize what God is offering us, we will gladly rise up, leave our fallen ways, and take hold of Jesus who can work out a miracle in our lives by converting us and filling us with all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing! What a blessing that this was what Levi-Matthew and the disciples chose to do! I choose to follow Christ today by surrendering all I have and am to Him. I pray you will, too!

"To Matthew in his wealth, and to Andrew and Peter in their poverty, the same test was brought; the same consecration was made by each. At the moment of success, when the nets were filled with fish, and the impulses of the old life were strongest, Jesus asked the disciples at the sea to leave all for the work of the gospel. So every soul is tested as to whether the desire for temporal good or for fellowship with Christ is strongest." {The Desire of Ages, page 273, paragraph 4}

Let us experience the strongest purpose of our existence: fellowship with Christ!!

Dorine

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2020, 09:08:40 AM »
"The instrumentalities to be used in the gospel work are those souls who gladly receive the light which God sends them. These are His agencies for imparting the knowledge of truth to the world. If through the grace of Christ His people will become new bottles, He will  fill them with new wine. The teaching of Christ, though it was represented by the new wine, was not a new doctrine, but the revelation of that which had been taught from the beginning."
This is such an important truth to understand. So much 'new' light is being taught these days by zealous individuals who have made it their mission to set our people straight. Sad to say it is not in harmony with what the bible says or what we believe. Jesus came to reveal truth by His life and through scripture in contrast to what the Pharisees were teaching. How will we know the difference unless we are grounded in what Jesus taught in His word? If we do know the difference can we give a reason for what we believe?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2020, 12:25:18 PM »
What a blessing to read what has been seen in today's chapter! There are those who cherish the truth no matter where it leads! I was impressed with the same truth Sister Dorine has shared. "The instrumentalities to be used in the gospel work are those souls who gladly receive the light which God sends them. Do you want truth? Do you receive it with great joy even if it cuts across your habits? One does not have to be converted to want to know truth. Those who are searching for truth is the group we are searching for. Many will reject the truth, but there are also many who are wanting it, even though they are a comparatively small group. Many are called, but few choose to follow Christ and His truth.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2020, 05:31:15 AM »
God can do so much with broken vessels that are yielded fully into His hands. "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us" (2 Corinthians 4:7). It is God's power, by the Holy Spirit, that brings transformation of character. Every life yielded fully to Him will, until Jesus comes and gives us glorified bodies, be encompassed with weakness and infirmity. But in our human weakness we have the privilege of being enabled to do the deeds of omnipotence when we are fully surrendered to Christ and invite the Holy Spirit to manifest through us all the attributes of the divine nature: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance (see Galatians 5:22-23). By beholding Christ we become changed to reflect His likeness more and more fully each day!

"'The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.' Psalm 51:17. Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest." {The Desire of Ages, page 280, paragraph 4}

It is as we allow Christ to write His story for His glory in our lives that we have the greatest joy and peace in doing His service. His love flows through a renewed heart because He has made us partakers of the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4). No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11), and since He is too wise to err we should not fear to trust Him implicitly in everything. We may learn to no rely solely on God's word for assurance of His will and love, and not depend on transient feelings or circumstances for happiness. Cleaving to Jesus who left heaven because He wanted to marry us (see Jeremiah 3:14), we can more fully appreciate the gift of eternal salvation when we contemplate His infinite sacrifice at Calvary!

Dorine

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2020, 05:32:04 AM »
"Matthew "left all, rose up, and followed Him." There was no hesitation, no questioning, no thought of the lucrative business to be exchanged for poverty and hardship. It was enough for him that he was to be with Jesus, that he might listen to His words, and unite with Him in His work."

Are we willing to leave all for Jesus? During this confusing time we find ourselves in I am re-evaluating my life and the things that seem to be so important. If it wasn't for my faith in God it would be a terrifying exercise.  The story of Peter illustrates the faith we must have to follow Jesus.

Beacon

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »
"To Matthew in his wealth, and to Andrew and Peter in their poverty, the same test was brought; the same consecration was made by each. At the moment of success, when the nets were filled with fish, and the impulses of the old life were strongest, Jesus asked the disciples at the sea to leave all for the work of the gospel. So every soul is tested as to whether the desire for temporal good or for fellowship with Christ is strongest."

"Thousands are making the same mistake as did the Pharisees whom Christ reproved at Matthew's feast. Rather than give up some cherished idea, or discard some idol of opinion, many refuse the truth which comes down from the Father of light. They trust in self, and depend upon their own wisdom, and do not realize their spiritual poverty. They insist on being saved in some way by which they may perform some important work. When they see that there is no way of weaving self into the work, they reject the salvation provided."

Today Jesus is calling us to come in full surrender and be filled with New Wine. This is His invitation...Luke 9:23 "And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. Are We Willing?

Dorine

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2020, 05:25:43 AM »
The teaching of Christ, though it was represented by the new wine, was not a new doctrine, but the revelation of that which had been taught from the beginning. But to the Pharisees the truth of God had lost its original significance and beauty. To them Christ's teaching was new in almost every respect, and it was unrecognized and unacknowledged.

If Jesus Himself was here today His teachings would not be any more welcome than when He was here on earth. My daughter and I are reviewing our fundamental beliefs in our weekly study. It's a sad fact that many do not accept much of what we believe. One member says that they all need to be rewritten to reveal 'new' light. That's where studying the life of Christ brings peace to my heart because He did not let anything ruffle or disturb Him. He went about doing good and sharing the truth in spite of those who tried to trip Him up. We are to follow His example in our witness inside and outside the church. Those that are open and searching for truth will hear and believe and follow the teachings of Jesus in His word.

Beacon

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2020, 07:26:40 AM »
"Faith and love are the gold tried in the fire. But with many the gold has become dim, and the rich treasure has been lost. The righteousness of Christ is to them as a robe unworn, a fountain untouched. To them it is said...

"I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent." Revelation 2:4, 5.

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise." Psalm 51:17.

Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest.

The question that Joshua posed many centuries ago --- is still just as valid today....

Joshua 24:15
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

What Will Our Response Be?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2020, 08:00:18 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine! And in response to what you shared, Brother Beacon, I choose Jesus!! I choose to let Him have my entire heart and my entire mind so my will may be swallowed up in His will!!

What does God desire?

'The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.' Psalm 51:17. Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest." {The Desire of Ages, page 280, paragraph 4}

Then all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in the life of every soul fully surrendered to Jesus! His love will lead to happy obedience to His law of freedom!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2020, 09:36:36 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean, by  beholding Christ we are transformed into His image from glory to glory by the Holy Spirit (2 Cor. 3:18).

"Faith and love are the gold tried in the fire. But with many the gold has become dim, and the rich treasure has been lost. The righteousness of Christ is to them as a robe unworn, a fountain untouched. To them it is said...

Amen Brother Beacon!  This pertains to the Laodicean message that all ought to clearly understand applies to the church today. As a people we are not converted, but think we are. So it was with the Pharisees and most of Israel. Jesus rebukes us in the third chapter of Revelation, but He also tells us what we must do to be converted. It is grace that saves us, transforms us. Faith that works by beholding His love is what changes the heart, purifies it and brings about a new creature that is aligned with God.

But although the Pharisees thought so highly of themselves, they were really in a worse condition than the ones they despised. The publicans were less bigoted and self-sufficient, and thus were more open to the influence of truth. Jesus said to the rabbis, "Go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice." Thus He showed that while they claimed to expound the word of God, they were wholly ignorant of its spirit. 

Laodiceans are ignorant that the law kills, but the Spirit giveth life. There is no power in the law to transform the life, it reveals sin in the live.

Amen Sister Dorine!  The gospel message is not new, and it is the very first thing in the three angels message that we are to take to the world. Yet, we seldom hear it being preached. Where is the great deception? It is just as Jesus says to us in Rev 3. We believe we are rich and increased with goods, but know not that we are miserable, wretched, poor, blind, and naked. As a people we have been taught and believe a false gospel. Why do so many not want to hear this truth? Have we ever objected to someone who speaks the straight testimony of the True Witness and attempts to do what Jesus did in His sermon on the  mount? "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matt. 5:27,28

None are converted whose hearts are not purified and filled with the Holy Spirit. Love, joy, and peace are the fruits revealed in the life of all who love Jesus with the WHOLE heart. Yes, many are converted around the world, but do not understand the gospel any more than did the disciples when they walked out of the upper room the night of Christ's suffering in Gethsemane. Few understand what is being shared in this forum. But, this is changing. Those who look unto Jesus and spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ are awaking to the power of grace to transform the life. Praise God!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2020, 04:04:32 AM »
Happy Sabbath!! When we experience the power of the gospel, we will value fellowship with Christ over anything offered in this whole world! When Jesus has the whole heart, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in the life and we will gladly obey Him out of an intelligent appreciation of all He is to us and is offering us in union and communion with Him!

Let us keep looking unto Jesus!! He will finish what He starts in our lives!!

Dorine

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2020, 05:22:35 AM »
Let us keep looking unto Jesus!! He will finish what He starts in our lives!! Amen Pastor Sean. A comforting promise. Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is much to chew on and digest in our chapter today.  The concluding paragraph spoke strongly to me. If we just surface read then the depths of truth will not be revealed. We will continue on as we always have.

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise." Psalm 51:17. Man must be emptied of self before he can be, in the fullest sense, a believer in Jesus. When self is renounced, then the Lord can make man a new creature. New bottles can contain the new wine. The love of Christ will animate the believer with new life. In him who looks unto the Author and Finisher of our faith the character of Christ will be manifest."

We must spiritually stop, chew on and digest God's word with an open heart. When we do this our hearts will no longer nurse self but fully embrace the life changing work Christ wants to do in us and for us. Our hearts will not just melt but break when we realize how we wound our loving Saviour each time we forget Him.