Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--27--"Thou Canst Make Me Clean"  (Read 15369 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--27--"Thou Canst Make Me Clean"
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 08:13:10 AM »
In our reading today sin is portrayed as a form of leprosy; deep rooted, deadly, and impossible to be cleansed by human power.

"But Jesus, coming to dwell in humanity, receives no pollution. His presence has healing virtue for the sinner. Whoever will fall at His feet, saying in faith, "Lord if Thou wilt, Thou canst make me clean," shall hear the answer, "I will, be thou made clean."

Here is another important point that is brought out....

"In some instances of healing, Jesus did not at once grant the blessing sought. But in the case of leprosy, no sooner was the appeal made than it was granted. When we pray for earthly blessings, the answer to our prayer may be delayed, or God may give us something other than we ask, but not so when we ask for deliverance from sin."

These miracles were not performed just for the sake of physical healing alone but to show the power of Jesus to forgive sins. I'm so thankful today that I/we can come to Jesus with the leprosy of sin and know that not only "can" He heal me/us but that He "will" instantly heal our sin sick hearts.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 08:53:41 AM »
Amen sister Doreen. I really like that truth that you point us to. Jesus may wait to answer our prayers in many cases, but not so when we seek forgiveness of our sins. This is very helpful in understanding the gospel message, and the conversion of Paul. Paul's conversion was not, sudden conversion. It was the end of a long protracted process of wooing by the Holy Spirit. Thus, we understand the true meaning of Romans, chapter 7. It is Paul explaining his conversion experience. Paul was not converted in Romans 7, but he did come to the point of seeing that he could not keep the law in and of himself. It was during that time of wooing that Paul discovered he was evil by nature. He ends the chapter with a prayer to be to be delivered from the "body of this death" in which he lived. On the road to Damascus, Jesus answered that prayer. So I ask, if we understand that Jesus answers the prayer for deliverance from sin immediately, when did Paul pray that prayer to be set free from his evil selfish flesh?

When the Laodicean goes through a Romans seven experience, and discovers he is evil by nature, when we see we are not keeping the law of God, thus we are condemned, then he is no longer a Laodicean and God can heal him from that which has kept him in bondage. As you say, dear Sister, Jesus will heal our sin sick hearts. He will cleanse the heart, white as snow.

Paul, Saul, thought he was keeping the commandments, until he had a true standard by which to measure his life. He saw Christ, in the words and face of Stephen and all of the true Christians he was persecuting. He then saw the law reaches beyond outwards actions, and goes to the intent of the heart. Here, he saw himself condemned. The law cannot save, but it is the "school master" that points us to our need of a Savior, a Savior that delivers us from "the body of this death" in which we live.

When we come to the point of seeing we are in bondage to sin, and cannot deliver ourselves, then we look for a Savior as did Saul. Then, Jesus reveals Himself to us and if we will allow Him in, He will immediately take possession of the heart and cleanse it wholly from sin.

Many teach and believe that we cannot keep the law perfectly, because we live in sinful flesh. It is true we may not obtain holy flesh this side of the second coming, but we may possess a new mind and a new heart. This is where we may be transformed in character and nature. All who reject this truth are rejecting the inspired counsel in Scripture (Ezekiel 36:26, 27) and what we read in today's chapter.

The work of Christ in cleansing the leper from his terrible disease is an illustration of His work in cleansing the soul from sin. The man who came to Jesus was "full of leprosy." Its deadly poison permeated his whole body. The disciples sought to prevent their Master from touching him; for he who touched a leper became himself unclean. But in laying His hand upon the leper, Jesus received no defilement. His touch imparted life-giving power. The leprosy was cleansed. Thus it is with the leprosy of sin,--deep-rooted, deadly, and impossible to be cleansed by human power. "The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrefying sores." Isaiah 1:5, 6. But Jesus, coming to dwell in humanity, receives no pollution. His presence has healing virtue for the sinner. Whoever will fall at His feet, saying in faith, "Lord, if Thou wilt, Thou canst make me clean," shall hear the answer, "I will; be thou made clean." Matthew 8:2, 3, R. V. 

Jesus does not lie. He will make us clean. Unless we be cleansed, we do not have salvation. If we will study Romans seven and eight prayerfully, in the light of this promise from Jesus, we will have the scales of "unbelief" removed our eyes. We then can spend a thoughtful hour a day beholding the Savior and by thus doing, die daily to sin. Miracles of miracles!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
Amen, sister Dorine and brother Richard! Saul, even in the midst of his murderous campaign to persecute Christians, finally came to utter that prayer for deliverance from himself on the Damascus road, and cried out for help, saying, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" (Romans 7:24). Christ immediately answered, and Saul was made to see a vision of his Savior who alone could deliver him from the leprosy of sin that had made his heart murderous and evil. Paul's testimony reveals that Jesus came to save him and that His grace was sufficient. We read Paul's powerful treatise on the new life in Christ by a full surrender in Romans 8, in happy contrast to the incredible struggle in Romans 7 where the flesh ruled him, he knew what was right, but had no power to do it. The power Paul needed could come only from Jesus, who must have possession of the whole heart!

We can praise God that the power of the gospel is such that no one who comes desiring to be set free from sin will be given a delayed answer. Christ immediately forgives and restores! The great struggle for many is coming to the point of truly seeing their need and then believing that Christ is able to do what one asks. How do we see our need and the provision of our Savior to be sufficient? We come to Him as we are. Jesus invites us:

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

We can come even if we are struggling to believe. Coming to Christ, He reveals to us His love and our deep need of His grace. He gives us power to repent, the conviction leading to true confession and renunciation of sin. When we really believe that Jesus is able to take our burden of sin (much like the burden of leprosy), and that He has the power to do the greatest of all miracles in changing our evil hearts into hearts that are new, filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing, then, by beholding Christ's loveliness (in contrast with our sinfulness) we are motivated to yield fully to Him for the change to be wrought in us. Christ heals us from the disorders of our sin-sick souls! While we will still live in fallen flesh, we need not yield to it even by a thought, because the divine nature given to us in true conversion is powerful enough to keep the flesh under, so we are enabled to live a holy life. This miracle is the effectual working of God's grace, and all who experience His grace become living testimonies of His saving power and love!

"In some instances of healing, Jesus did not at once grant the blessing sought. But in the case of leprosy, no sooner was the appeal made than it was granted. When we pray for earthly blessings, the answer to our prayer may be delayed, or God may give us something other than we ask, but not so when we ask for deliverance from sin. It is His will to cleanse us from sin, to make us His children, and to enable us to live a holy life. Christ 'gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father.' Galatians 1:4. And 'this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us: and if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him.' 1 John 5:14, 15. 'If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' 1 John 1:9." {The Desire of Ages, page 266, paragraph 2}

Let us go to Christ as we are, and believe that He is able to save us from all of our sins, able to keep us from falling back into our old patterns and habits of unbelief, and give us strength to overcome as we keep our eyes fixed on Him in His loveliness. What a joy to share the grace of Jesus by a personal experience!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 05:20:28 AM »
If we are experiencing unrest and unsatisfied desires, Jesus wants to go to the root of our problem, and forgive and cleanse us from the sin that is enfeebling our life and character. He has creative power--the power of infinite love and grace made efficacious by His blood shed for us--to wash, renew, and restore us to perfect soundness! Let us come to Christ as we are today so He can transform us to be like Him! The immediate effect of a full surrender (conversion to Christ) is that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives, our countenances will beam with His joy, and we will gladly obey His will to the degree we know it. This experience is to be renewed daily in beholding the loveliness of Jesus, for we are to be changed from one degree of glory to another, from one character experience to another, so that day by day the greatest miracle is being wrought out in our lives--the miracle of a consistent life in Christ!

"The paralytic found in Christ healing for both the soul and the body. The spiritual healing was followed by physical restoration. This lesson should not be overlooked. There are today thousands suffering from physical disease, who, like the paralytic, are longing for the message, 'Thy sins are forgiven.' The burden of sin, with its unrest and unsatisfied desires, is the foundation of their maladies. They can find no relief until they come to the Healer of the soul. The peace which He alone can give, would impart vigor to the mind, and health to the body." {The Desire of Ages, page 270, paragraph 1} 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 05:34:53 AM »
Amen pastor Sean! and He desires that ALL find rest in Him. This morning as I was reading I was struck by this...

Not one who had sought His help had been turned away. The wretched man determined to find the Saviour. Though shut out from the cities, it might be that he could cross His path in some byway along the mountain roads, or find Him as He was teaching outside the towns. The difficulties were great, but this was his only hope. 

Some try to prevent him from approaching Jesus, but in vain. He neither sees nor hears them. Their expressions of loathing are lost upon him. He sees only the Son of God. He hears only the voice that speaks life to the dying. Pressing to Jesus, he casts himself at His feet with the cry, "Lord, if Thou wilt, Thou canst make me clean."

Look at this single fact in this case this diseased man mixed his mind on. That is... not one who had sought His help had been turned away. What a promise and what a compassionate Savior. The goodness and kindness has drawn this man to Christ and now that he is near the great Healer, he doesn't let anything stand in his way. This reminds of a couple of verses...

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 06:28:02 AM »
Amen, Jim. If we want to be a friend of God, we must truly seek to know Him who gave all for us. Our motivation may very well be selfish when we begin our search, but when we get to know Him, our motivation will change. When we know Him as it is our privilege to know Him, we will love Him supremely, and self will be hidden in Christ.

As I read this morning, I was once again impressed that  millions upon millions of professing Christians have been deceived. They do not know Jesus has power to cleanse the heart from all sin. What is troubling is that many of these suffering ones are Seventh-day Adventists who have been taught otherwise.

It is true that we shall live in vile and sinful flesh until Christ's second coming, but that will not continue to control behavior when the heart is fully surrendered to Christ. When the carnal mind is transformed, and we possess the mind of Christ, because the Holy Spirit has taken control, we will be empowered to obey the commandments of God. We will manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing. We will reflect the character of Christ to the degree we understand. The motives will be pure and holy. Yes, this is contrary to much of what is preached from "Christian" pulpits and printed on "Christian" presses.

Seventh-day Adventists who profess to believe in the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy are without excuse for knowing the truth about being cleansed from all known sin. Reading today's chapter leaves none with any excuse for believing there is an excuse for sin.

The work of Christ in cleansing the leper from his terrible disease is an illustration of His work in cleansing the soul from sin. The man who came to Jesus was "full of leprosy." Its deadly poison permeated his whole body. The disciples sought to prevent their Master from touching him; for he who touched a leper became himself unclean. But in laying His hand upon the leper, Jesus received no defilement. His touch imparted life-giving power. The leprosy was cleansed. Thus it is with the leprosy of sin,--deep-rooted, deadly, and impossible to be cleansed by human power. "The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrefying sores." Isaiah 1:5, 6. But Jesus, coming to dwell in humanity, receives no pollution. His presence has healing virtue for the sinner. Whoever will fall at His feet, saying in faith, "Lord, if Thou wilt, Thou canst make me clean," shall hear the answer, "I will; be thou made clean." Matthew 8:2, 3, R. V.
     In some instances of healing, Jesus did not at once grant the blessing sought. But in the case of leprosy, no sooner was the appeal made than it was granted. When we pray for earthly blessings, the answer to our prayer may be delayed, or God may give us something other than we ask, but not so when we ask for deliverance from sin. It is His will to cleanse us from sin, to make us His children, and to enable us to live a holy life. Christ "gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father." Galatians 1:4. And "this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us: and if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him." 1 John 5:14, 15. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9.

"To cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness." To cleanse the heart and mind from sin. The flesh remains evil and filthy, but as Paul taught, we have power in Christ to keep the "body under" control. "I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." 1 Cor. 9:27. It is the Spirit of God working through repentant man that reveals the character of Christ in fallen humanity. 

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 05:49:55 AM »
I miss meeting here every day. Complications from hubby's surgery have made changes in my daily routines. I hope to be back soon.

The paralytic found in Christ healing for both the soul and the body. The spiritual healing was followed by physical restoration. This lesson should not be overlooked. There are today thousands suffering from physical disease, who, like the paralytic, are longing for the message, "Thy sins are forgiven." The burden of sin, with its unrest and unsatisfied desires, is the foundation of their maladies. They can find no relief until they come to the Healer of the soul. The peace which He alone can give, would impart vigor to the mind, and health to the body. "

Oh if only all would believe and accept this truth.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 05:54:28 AM »
God will immediately forgive and cleanse you as you come to Him, just as you are, believing that He can save you to the uttermost. There is no "incurable" sin for God, and the answer is always IMMEDIATELY that He forgives!!

"In some instances of healing, Jesus did not at once grant the blessing sought. But in the case of leprosy, no sooner was the appeal made than it was granted. When we pray for earthly blessings, the answer to our prayer may be delayed, or God may give us something other than we ask, but not so when we ask for deliverance from sin. It is His will to cleanse us from sin, to make us His children, and to enable us to live a holy life. Christ 'gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father.' Galatians 1:4. And 'this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us: and if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him.' 1 John 5:14, 15. 'If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' 1 John 1:9." {The Desire of Ages, page 266, paragraph 2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 07:49:38 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! And so it was with the great persecutor of Christians, Saul of Tarsus. As we read of his experience in transitioning from proud Pharisee to a sinner who could not obey, when did he ask for help and mean it with the whole heart? Read Romans seven and you will see his utter helplessness and his great plea for someone to deliver him from sin. To think he was converted when he did that which he did not want to do, and did not do that which he ought to do, reveals a lack of spiritual discernment. When he prayed the prayer "O wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death?",  how long did it take for Jesus to answer the desire of his heart? It was immediate. Then that prayer must have been on the road to Damascus. 

Amen, Sister Dorine!  "The peace which He alone can give, would impart vigor to the mind, and health to the body." When we believe Jesus with the whole heart, then we have love, joy, and peace, peace that passes all understanding. And in that peace we find strength of mind and physical health. Such blessings that come when the Spirit takes possession of the heart.

And when we give Jesus the whole heart, he empowers us to love those who despitefully use us. I appreciate the lesson Jesus gave in loving those who were intent on putting Him to death.

The leaders at Jerusalem had sent out spies to find some pretext for putting Christ to death. He responded by giving them an evidence of His love for humanity, His respect for the law, and His power to deliver from sin and death. Thus He bore witness of them: "They have rewarded Me evil for good, and hatred for My love." Psalm 109:5. He who on the mount gave the precept, "Love your enemies," Himself exemplified the principle, not rendering "evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing." Matthew 5:44; 1 Peter 3:9.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 05:05:42 AM »
The Holy Spirit impressed me this morning with a thought about the way the healed leper illustrates total member involvement in our church. The leprosy of sin causes souls to become dormant, inactive, and useless because they do not exercise their talents in doing good. While it is true that a person cannot of themselves do any good thing (for by nature the heart is evil), if they are daily spending time beholding the loveliness of Jesus and falling in love with Him who renews the heart and mind by His Spirit, then Christ works in and though the converted soul, revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. As I reflect on the fruit of the leper's cleansing, he began to use limbs he could not use before! I am praying for total member involvement (every faculty and talent used to glorify God and bless others) in my own life experience and in God's church so He receives the glory due His name, and many more souls are brought to the joy of conversion and character transformation! 

"In the home of the healed paralytic there was great rejoicing when he returned to his family, carrying with ease the couch upon which he had been slowly borne from their presence but a short time before. They gathered round with tears of joy, scarcely daring to believe their eyes. He stood before them in the full vigor of manhood. Those arms that they had seen lifeless were quick to obey his will. The flesh that had been shrunken and leaden-hued was now fresh and ruddy. He walked with a firm, free step. Joy and hope were written in every lineament of his countenance; and an expression of purity and peace had taken the place of the marks of sin and suffering. Glad thanksgiving went up from that home, and God was glorified through His Son, who had restored hope to the hopeless, and strength to the stricken one. This man and his family were ready to lay down their lives for Jesus. No doubt dimmed their faith, no unbelief marred their fealty to Him who had brought light into their darkened home." {The Desire of Ages, page 271, paragraph 2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
Amen!  Jesus loves us and suffered and died that we might be transformed into His image of love. Why did this leper love Jesus. And his family?

"This man and his family were ready to lay down their lives for Jesus. No doubt dimmed their faith, no unbelief marred their fealty to Him who had brought light into their darkened home."

They loved Him because He first loved them! Do we recognize what Jesus has done for us? Or has that great miracle of the cleansing sin not yet happened?

The paralytic found in Christ healing for both the soul and the body. The spiritual healing was followed by physical restoration. This lesson should not be overlooked. There are today thousands suffering from physical disease, who, like the paralytic, are longing for the message, "Thy sins are forgiven." The burden of sin, with its unrest and unsatisfied desires, is the foundation of their maladies. They can find no relief until they come to the Healer of the soul. The peace which He alone can give, would impart vigor to the mind, and health to the body.
     Jesus came to "destroy the works of the devil." "In Him was life," and He says, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." He is "a quickening spirit." 1 John 3:8; John 1:4; 10:10; 1 Corinthians 15:45. And He still has the same life-giving power as when on earth He healed the sick, and spoke forgiveness to the sinner. He "forgiveth all thine iniquities," He "healeth all thy diseases." Psalm 103:3.   

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 05:11:07 AM »
"The work of Christ in cleansing the leper from his terrible disease is an illustration of His work in cleansing the soul from sin. The man who came to Jesus was "full of leprosy." Its deadly poison permeated his whole body. The disciples sought to prevent their Master from touching him; for he who touched a leper became himself unclean. But in laying His hand upon the leper, Jesus received no defilement. His touch imparted life-giving power. The leprosy was cleansed. Thus it is with the leprosy of sin,--deep-rooted, deadly, and impossible to be cleansed by human power. "The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrefying sores." Isaiah 1:5, 6.

Sin brings disease of soul and body. Christ longs to bring healing to all but the most important healing is freedom from guilt and shame. I know the sweet peace that fills the heart that comes with forgiveness of sin. This text is a precious promise for each of us to claim as we invite Him into our hearts each day. "But Jesus, coming to dwell in humanity, receives no pollution. His presence has healing virtue for the sinner. Whoever will fall at His feet, saying in faith, "Lord, if Thou wilt, Thou canst make me clean," shall hear the answer, "I will; be thou made clean." Matthew 8:2, 3, R. V. "

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 06:33:11 AM »
Amen, Dorine! We find in Jesus healing for body and soul, and that healing of the soul--cleansing from sin--is just as much an act of creative power as it was for Him to make humanity from the dust in the beginning!! When God forgives us He recreates us in His image, taking upon Himself our sin and imputing and imparting to us His righteousness, so we can live the new life, even the life of faith that is manifest with all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one missing, as we joyfully obey the law of God (which is love!). Hallelujah for such incredible gospel encouragement!!

"The paralytic found in Christ healing for both the soul and the body. The spiritual healing was followed by physical restoration. This lesson should not be overlooked. There are today thousands suffering from physical disease, who, like the paralytic, are longing for the message, 'Thy sins are forgiven.' The burden of sin, with its unrest and unsatisfied desires, is the foundation of their maladies. They can find no relief until they come to the Healer of the soul. The peace which He alone can give, would impart vigor to the mind, and health to the body." {The Desire of Ages, page 270, paragraph 1}

Beacon

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
  "The paralytic found in Christ healing for both the soul and the body. The spiritual healing was followed by physical restoration. This lesson should not be overlooked. There are today thousands suffering from physical disease, who, like the paralytic, are longing for the message, "Thy sins are forgiven." The burden of sin, with its unrest and unsatisfied desires, is the foundation of their maladies. They can find no relief until they come to the Healer of the soul. The peace which He alone can give, would impart vigor to the mind, and health to the body. Jesus came to "destroy the works of the devil." "In Him was life," and He says, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." He is "a quickening spirit." 1 John 3:8; John 1:4; 10:10; 1 Corinthians 15:45. And He still has the same life-giving power as when on earth He healed the sick, and spoke forgiveness to the sinner. He "forgiveth all thine iniquities," He "healeth all thy diseases." Psalm 103:3. "

In Revelation 3...We find this counsel for today.....

" 14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 6 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."

So my brothers and sister in Christ be of good courage, if we are willing to come to Jesus He will forgive. He may also heal us physically if it's to His glory and our eternal good, when we come humbly into His presence asking with a sincere heart for His blessing.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 03:12:26 AM »
Jesus is the Creator and the re-creator of every soul that will come to Him in faith! He draws us with His love and actively works to restore us to His image. As we sense our great need in the light of His purity and loveliness of character, what wondrous love and grace is manifested toward us in that He desires to impart to us His character!! Jesus is still restoring souls to His image today!!

"It required nothing less than creative power to restore health to that decaying body. The same voice that spoke life to man created from the dust of the earth had spoken life to the dying paralytic. And the same power that gave life to the body had renewed the heart. He who at the creation 'spake, and it was,' who 'commanded, and it stood fast,' (Psalm 33:9), had spoken life to the soul dead in trespasses and sins. The healing of the body was an evidence of the power that had renewed the heart. Christ bade the paralytic arise and walk, 'that ye may know,' He said, 'that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 269, paragraph 3}

Let us walk in the power of His grace today! Such a walk of faith in Christ is manifested by all of the fruits of the Spirit being seen in our lives--not one missing! We have no power of ourselves to do good, we must receive the power of Christ by faith, and at each step cooperate with Him! Abiding in Him, we may flourish and go forth to share what wondrous things Jesus has done for us!

Beacon

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 06:59:57 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean...What great words of hope and saving grace are available to all who will come and fully surrender to the only one who has the power to transform and save. 

"In the home of the healed paralytic there was great rejoicing when he returned to his family, carrying with ease the couch upon which he had been slowly borne from their presence but a short time before. They gathered round with tears of joy, scarcely daring to believe their eyes. He stood before them in the full vigor of manhood. Those arms that they had seen lifeless were quick to obey his will. The flesh that had been shrunken and leaden-hued was now fresh and ruddy. He walked with a firm, free step."

I am reminded of that wonderful text that says... in Isaiah 1:18 "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. We are invited to come to Jesus just as we are confessing our great need and seeking His forgiveness - No One will be turned away.

"Joy and hope were written in every lineament of his countenance; and an expression of purity and peace had taken the place of the marks of sin and suffering. Glad thanksgiving went up from that home, and God was glorified through His Son, who had restored hope to the hopeless, and strength to the stricken one. This man and his family were ready to lay down their lives for Jesus. No doubt dimmed their faith, no unbelief marred their fealty to Him who had brought light into their darkened home."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 07:55:32 AM »
Amen! What a miracle! Christ wants to make us whole! He has power to do so if we will come to Him just as we are. What does it mean to be made whole? Many are deceived on this point. It is not the flesh that is cleansed. We do not believe in holy flesh until the second coming of Christ. Then all who love Him supremely will be glorifed with holy flesh. Then what is made white as snow? Jesus has promised that if we confess our sins He is faithful to not only forgive our sins, but to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Again, then what is cleansed? We find this in the quote shared by Pastor Sean today. It is the heart that is cleansed.

Many teach and have been deceived and believe they may be saved and retain evil in the heart. Such a deception! If that is believed then we must reject Scripture that promised a new heart and a new mind. The carnal mind is enmity against God.It must be purified.

“The carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.” “Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.” Romans 8:7; Matthew 15:19. The fountain of the heart must be purified before the streams can become pure. He who is trying to reach heaven by his own works in keeping the law is attempting an impossibility. There is no safety for one who has merely a legal religion, a form of godliness. The Christian’s life is not a modification or improvement of the old, but a transformation of nature. There is a death to self and sin, and a new life altogether. This change can be brought about only by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit.  DA 172.

This truth is seen in today's reading. I quote again what Pastor Sean shared:

"It required nothing less than creative power to restore health to that decaying body. The same voice that spoke life to man created from the dust of the earth had spoken life to the dying paralytic. And the same power that gave life to the body had renewed the heart. He who at the creation 'spake, and it was,' who 'commanded, and it stood fast,' (Psalm 33:9), had spoken life to the soul dead in trespasses and sins. The healing of the body was an evidence of the power that had renewed the heart.

"And the same power that gave life to the body had renewed the heart." It is not outward obedience that God wants, He looks upon the heart. And, only He can renew it. This is what happens when we are converted, the heart is made new. We may keep the wrong day, eat the wrong food, wear the wrong clothes, all because we are ignorant, but our motives will be pure and holy. The heart has been made new and we serve God in purity of heart. What we know to be good, we do. We love as He loves. And we have peace that passes understanding. Love, joy and peace belong to all who make a full heart surrender to Christ.

Dorine

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
"The paralytic found in Christ healing for both the soul and the body. The spiritual healing was followed by physical restoration. This lesson should not be overlooked. There are today thousands suffering from physical disease, who, like the paralytic, are longing for the message, "Thy sins are forgiven." The burden of sin, with its unrest and unsatisfied desires, is the foundation of their maladies. They can find no relief until they come to the Healer of the soul. The peace which He alone can give, would impart vigor to the mind, and health to the body.       

Jesus came to "destroy the works of the devil." "In Him was life," and He says, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." He is "a quickening spirit." 1 John 3:8; John 1:4; 10:10; 1 Corinthians 15:45. And He still has the same life-giving power as when on earth He healed the sick, and spoke forgiveness to the sinner. He "forgiveth all thine iniquities," He "healeth all thy diseases." Psalm 103:3."

What a Saviour we serve. How He loves us. He wants us to be happy and free from sin and disease. Will we give our hearts totally to Him so that we can enjoy the more abundant life that He promises us? When sins are surrendered and forgiven the improvement in one's health both physically and mentally will be unexplainable in medical terms for it is supernatural. No sweeter words can be heard than "Thy sins are forgiven".

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 08:07:05 PM »
"The priests were convinced of the divine power of the Saviour. Opportunity was granted them to know the truth and to be profited by the light. Rejected, it would pass away, never to return. By many the light was rejected; yet it was not given in vain. Many hearts were moved that for a time made no sign. During the Saviour's life, His mission seemed to call forth little response of love from the priests and teachers; but after His ascension 'a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.'" Acts 6:7.

Ececlesiastes 11:1-3 says,  "Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days. Our task is to be willing to SOW THE SEED, The Holy Spirit will water the seed. Jesus said.... in Luke 10:2..."The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest."  It is our High Calling by Jesus for each of us to come and help sow the seed but we must not get discourage because the seeds fall on many different types of soil. God is responsible through the Holy Spirit for the results of our willingness to sow the seed. In spite of what we see with our eyes and hear with our ears I firmly believe that the greatest days for God's Faithful and True Remnant Messengers is just ahead us. Hopefully each of you reading this will take a strong stand to be a faithful sower of the seed of God's Amazing Grace.

Dorine

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 05:25:09 AM »
"Oh, wondrous love of Christ, stooping to heal the guilty and the afflicted! Divinity sorrowing over and soothing the ills of suffering humanity! Oh, marvelous power thus displayed to the children of men! Who can doubt the message of salvation? Who can slight the mercies of a compassionate Redeemer?"

This echo's the sentiments of my heart this morning. There are so many beautiful lessons in the chapter. It fills me with praise and gratitude to a Saviour that loves like He does. I saw Him anew today as I read of the Leper whose faith  made him willing to risk everything just to see Jesus and ask for healing. And the paralytic whose suffering was the result of his past sinful life desired more than physical healing, to be cleansed from his sins.

How many times have I read these accounts but today they brought tears of joy to know that Christ's tender care is the same today for you and me. We don't deserve it but we sure do need it and when we in faith and surrender come to Jesus asking for healing of the soul He immediately answers. "Who can doubt the message of salvation? Who can slight the mercies of a compassionate Redeemer?"