Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--26--At Capernaum  (Read 11521 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--26--At Capernaum
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2022, 05:00:21 AM »
Let us choose to have Christ rule in our hearts by His word through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit! As we do, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be present in the character that is in constant union and communion with God by a living faiths surrender! There is no greater joy than to be in God's will!

"Every man is free to choose what power he will have to rule over him. None have fallen so low, none are so vile, but that they can find deliverance in Christ. The demoniac, in place of prayer, could utter only the words of Satan; yet the heart's unspoken appeal was heard. No cry from a soul in need, though it fail of utterance in words, will be unheeded. Those who will consent to enter into covenant relation with the God of heaven are not left to the power of Satan or to the infirmity of their own nature. They are invited by the Saviour, 'Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me.' Isaiah 27:5. The spirits of darkness will battle for the soul once under their dominion, but angels of God will contend for that soul with prevailing power. The Lord says, 'Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? . . . Thus saith the Lord, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.' Isaiah 49:24, 25." {The Desire of Ages, page 258, paragraph 6} 

May we learn continually how much we need Jesus and how His power can lift us above the clamors of our fallen nature, no matter how strong the temptations may seem, for Christ has defeated the devil and taken our fallen humanity to Calvary to let us know that self can be subdued through continual submission of the will to God! Then in death to self in Christ we can rejoice in the resurrection power of His endless life!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2022, 06:48:20 AM »
"...Quietly and gently the daylight breaks upon the earth, dispelling the shadow of darkness, and waking the world to life. So did the Sun of Righteousness arise, "with healing in His wings." Malachi 4:2.

The world is wound up tight, depleting their physical and mental reserves.

We read in the book, Ministry Of Healing, "The Saviour in His miracles revealed the power that is continually at work in man's behalf, to sustain and to heal him. Through the agencies of nature, God is working, day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment, to keep us alive, to build up and restore us. When any part of the body sustains injury, a healing process is at once begun; nature's agencies are set at work to restore soundness. But the power working through these agencies is the power of God. All life-giving power is from Him. When one recovers from disease, it is God who restores him.  {MH 112.1}

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2022, 08:08:10 AM »
"When once the restraints of God's word and His Spirit are rejected, no man knows to what depths of degradation he may sink."

Secret sin or master passion may hold him a captive as helpless as was the demoniac of Capernaum."

"Yet his condition is not hopeless."

Amen Brother Beacon!!  When we those like Saul the Persecutor in the church, we ought judge him hopeless. If God has power transform Saul and the demoniac, and He does, then how can we judge any man hopeless.  Every man is free to choose what power he will have to rule over him. None have fallen so low, none are so vile, but that they can find deliverance in Christ.

May we learn continually how much we need Jesus and how His power can lift us above the clamors of our fallen nature, no matter how strong the temptations may seem, for Christ has defeated the devil and taken our fallen humanity to Calvary to let us know that self can be subdued through continual submission of the will to God! Then in death to self in Christ we can rejoice in the resurrection power of His endless life!

Amen  Pastor Sean!!

Through the agencies of nature, God is working, day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment, to keep us alive, to build up and restore us.

Amen Sister Dorine!! He keeps us alive that we might have time to learn of Him, that by beholding His glory (character) we be transformed into His image (character). See 2 Cor. 3:18.

I found an important statement this morning that ought to help us as we labor for others:

The rabbis spoke with doubt and hesitancy, as if the Scriptures might be interpreted to mean one thing or exactly the opposite. The hearers were daily involved in greater uncertainty. But Jesus taught the Scriptures as of unquestionable authority. Whatever His subject, it was presented with power, as if His words could not be controverted.   
     Yet He was earnest, rather than vehement. He spoke as one who had a definite purpose to fulfill. He was bringing to view the realities of the eternal world. In every theme God was revealed. Jesus sought to break the spell of infatuation which keeps men absorbed in earthly things. He placed the things of this life in their true relation, as subordinate to those of eternal interest; but He did not ignore their importance. He taught that heaven and earth are linked together, and that a knowledge of divine truth prepares men better to perform the duties of everyday life. He spoke as one familiar with heaven, conscious of His relationship to God, yet recognizing His unity with every member of the human family.   

Yes, we know we ought to teach with the authority of Scripture as did Jesus, but that  was not what I saw this morning. It was what happens when we share the truth. It works for us in our daily devotions, and with others as we share the truth. "....that a knowledge of divine truth prepares men better to perform the duties of everyday life."

We make an example of our lives when we spend a thoughtful hour with Jesus obtaining a knowledge of divine truth daily. And, by so doing we are being transformed into His character daily, we are dying to self daily, and we are being prepared to perform the duties of everyday life this one day.

May God bless our work today that in some way we can hasten the soon coming of Jesus!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2022, 08:00:59 PM »
"In every theme Jesus talked about God was revealed."

"Jesus sought to break the spell of infatuation which keeps men absorbed in earthly things."

"He placed the things of this life in their true relation, as subordinate to those of eternal interest.

"He did not ignore their importance."

"He taught that heaven and earth are linked together, and that a knowledge of divine truth prepares men better to perform the duties of everyday life."

"None have fallen so low, none are so vile, but that they can find deliverance in Christ."

What a wonderful promise in included in the above statement. Let "US" claim it "TODAY ".

==============================
Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word eer falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon Ill see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Lyrics:Mrs. Ada A. Whiddington (1891)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2022, 04:32:11 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Freedom is what we need. And freedom from sin can only be found in Christ. Through a complete surrender of the heart, mind and will to Him, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be manifest in the life that is centered in Him. Christ living in the soul then constrains us out of love to obey Him up to the light He has revealed to us! Let us walk in this glorious freedom!!

"Every man is free to choose what power he will have to rule over him. None have fallen so low, none are so vile, but that they can find deliverance in Christ. The demoniac, in place of prayer, could utter only the words of Satan; yet the heart's unspoken appeal was heard. No cry from a soul in need, though it fail of utterance in words, will be unheeded. Those who will consent to enter into covenant relation with the God of heaven are not left to the power of Satan or to the infirmity of their own nature. They are invited by the Saviour, 'Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me.' Isaiah 27:5. The spirits of darkness will battle for the soul once under their dominion, but angels of God will contend for that soul with prevailing power. The Lord says, 'Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? . . . Thus saith the Lord, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.' Isaiah 49:24, 25." {The Desire of Ages, page 258, paragraph 6}

What promises God offers us! Let us keep our eyes of faith fixed on Christ and overcome even as He did--by the power of the word of God!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2022, 04:47:25 AM »
"The means by which we can overcome the wicked one is that by which Christ overcame,--the power of the word. God does not control our minds without our consent; but if we desire to know and to do His will, His promises are ours: "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching." John 8:32; 7:17, R. V. Through faith in these promises, every man may be delivered from the snares of error and the control of sin."

To be an overcomer we must commit quality time to God's word everyday. It's doesn't come from just the act of reading but from surrendering our will to God and digesting the truths that are there. He then transforms our characters and gives us power to resist temptation. We may need to go to Him many times through out the day to maintain that saving relationship. There is such joy and happiness in obedience to His word and others will be blessed by our company for Jesus will be revealed in our words and actions through the abundance of fruit given through the Holy spirit.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2022, 09:41:03 AM »
Amen my brothers and sister! The world unseen is what Jesus wants us to see. It would be well if we were to spend a thoughtful hour each contemplating the life of Jesus. We testify that it is well when we spend this time with Jesus.

"If we desire to know and do His will...." If we do not want to do His will then why would He reveal His truth? The leaders of Israel were not interested in knowing or doing the will of God, thus they fell under the control of Satan. So it is today with many leaders and teachers who profess to love and serve God.

In the days of Christ the leaders and teachers of Israel were powerless to resist the work of Satan. They were neglecting the only means by which they could have withstood evil spirits. It was by the word of God that Christ overcame the wicked one. The leaders of Israel professed to be the expositors of God's word, but they had studied it only to sustain their traditions, and enforce their man-made observances. By their interpretation they made it express sentiments that God had never given. Their mystical construction made indistinct that which He had made plain. They disputed over insignificant technicalities, and practically denied the most essential truths. Thus infidelity was sown broadcast. God's word was robbed of its power, and evil spirits worked their will.
     History is repeating. With the open Bible before them, and professing to reverence its teachings, many of the religious leaders of our time are destroying faith in it as the word of God. They busy themselves with dissecting the word, and set their own opinions above its plainest statements. In their hands God's word loses its regenerating power. This is why infidelity runs riot, and iniquity is rife. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.