Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--26--At Capernaum  (Read 15186 times)

Philip T

Re: The Desire of Ages--26--At Capernaum
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2023, 09:03:59 AM »
    Amen brother Sean and Richard, thank you for the kinds words of welcome it is nice to be back.

In marked contrast to all this was the life of Jesus. In that life no noisy disputation, no ostentatious worship, no act to gain applause, was ever witnessed. Christ was hid in God, and God was revealed in the character of His Son. To this revelation Jesus desired the minds of the people to be directed, and their homage to be given.  {DA 261.2}
     The Sun of Righteousness did not burst upon the world in splendor, to dazzle the senses with His glory. It is written of Christ, "His going forth is prepared as the morning." Hosea 6:3. Quietly and gently the daylight breaks upon the earth, dispelling the shadow of darkness, and waking the world to life. So did the Sun of Righteousness arise, "with healing in His wings." Malachi 4:2.

Jesus is our example; we should be doing the work he left us upon His return to heaven. we should do it in the same way Jesus did on earth, with humble hearts giving all glory to God and not ourselves. Directing their hearts to God, planting the seeds and allowing their fruition to be of the Holy Spirit.

Beacon

« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2023, 12:32:57 PM »
"No cry from a soul in need, though it fail of utterance in words, will be unheeded."

"Those who will consent to enter into covenant relation with the God of heaven are not left to the power of Satan or to the infirmity of their own nature."

"They are invited by the Saviour, 'Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me.' Isaiah 27:5."

"The spirits of darkness will battle for the soul once under their dominion, but angels of God will contend for that soul with prevailing power. "

"The Lord says, 'Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? ... Thus saith the Lord, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.' Isaiah 49:24, 25."

What a Friend we can have in Jesus!! I pray that you will make Him the King of Kings and Lord of Lords in your daily life.
===========================
Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Lyrics:Mrs. Ada A. Whiddington (1891)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Beacon

« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2023, 09:19:06 PM »
"Every man is free to choose what power he will have to rule over him."

"None have fallen so low, none are so vile, but that they can find deliverance in Christ."

The demoniac, in place of prayer, could utter only the words of Satan; yet the heart's unspoken appeal was heard.

"No cry from a soul in need, though it fail of utterance in words, will be unheeded."

"Those who will consent to enter into covenant relation with the God of heaven are not left to the power of Satan or to the infirmity of their own nature."

" They are invited by the Saviour, 'Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me.' Isaiah 27:5".

" The spirits of darkness will battle for the soul once under their dominion, but angels of God will contend for that soul with prevailing power."

"The Lord says, 'Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? ..."

.' Isaiah 49:24, 25
"Thus saith the Lord, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.' Isaiah 49:24, 25."

My own two children who were raised and educated in our school environment have chosen to leave church of their youth -- Will you join with me and pray that the promise of  Isaiah 49:24, 25 will be fulfilled for them? -Thank You in advance for joining with me on their behalf.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2023, 04:10:10 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! I gladly join you in intercessory prayer for your children, trusting God to lead them back to the fold of truth and righteousness!!

"It is written" (Matthew 4:4). We can always safely rely on the word of God, and that is why Jesus, the Word, taught the Scriptures as of unquestionable authority and called all to make it the rule of life, surrendering the will to the sovereignty of unselfish love whereby the life is transformed by His converting, redeeming grace. A living faith union and communion with Christ brings love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance in all righteousness, goodness and truth into the life without one missing because the abiding power in the soul is "Christ in you, the hope of glory." (Colossians 1:27).

"Jesus met the people on their own ground, as one who was acquainted with their perplexities. He made truth beautiful by presenting it in the most direct and simple way. His language was pure, refined, and clear as a running stream. His voice was as music to those who had listened to the monotonous tones of the rabbis. But while His teaching was simple, He spoke as one having authority. This characteristic set His teaching in contrast with that of all others. The rabbis spoke with doubt and hesitancy, as if the Scriptures might be interpreted to mean one thing or exactly the opposite. The hearers were daily involved in greater uncertainty. But Jesus taught the Scriptures as of unquestionable authority. Whatever His subject, it was presented with power, as if His words could not be controverted." {The Desire of Ages, page 253, paragraph 5}

We would do well to follow the Example of Jesus in how we share His word. Uplift the Bible as the rule of faith and practice, bring its words of life into the daily experience, and souls will be blessed and refreshed to have new life and power from above--the power of God's love in the soul!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2023, 05:49:15 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon, we will pray for your children and our children. Such a precious promise that God will save our children!

Christ never flattered men. He never spoke that which would exalt their fancies and imaginations, nor did He praise them for their clever inventions; but deep, unprejudiced thinkers received His teaching, and found that it tested their wisdom. They marveled at the spiritual truth expressed in the simplest language. The most highly educated were charmed with His words, and the uneducated were always profited. He had a message for the illiterate; and He made even the heathen to understand that He had a message for them.   
     His tender compassion fell with a touch of healing upon weary and troubled hearts. Even amid the turbulence of angry enemies He was surrounded with an atmosphere of peace. The beauty of His countenance, the loveliness of His character, above all, the love expressed in look and tone, drew to Him all who were not hardened in unbelief. Had it not been for the sweet, sympathetic spirit that shone out in every look and word, He would not have attracted the large congregations that He did. The afflicted ones who came to Him felt that He linked His interest with theirs as a faithful and tender friend, and they desired to know more of the truths He taught. Heaven was brought near. They longed to abide in His presence, that the comfort of His love might be with them continually. 

Yes, Pastor Sean, we would do well to learn from the example of Jesus. We ought not  "burst upon the world in splendor," but be gentle and quiet as we minister to a world soon to perish.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2023, 08:01:02 PM »
"His tender compassion fell with a touch of healing upon weary and troubled hearts."

"Even amid the turbulence of angry enemies He was surrounded with an atmosphere of peace."

" The beauty of His countenance, the loveliness of His character, above all, the love expressed in look and tone, drew to Him all who were not hardened in unbelief."

"Had it not been for the sweet, sympathetic spirit that shone out in every look and word, He would not have attracted the large congregations that He did."

"The afflicted ones who came to Him felt that He linked His interest with theirs as a faithful and tender friend, and they desired to know more of the truths He taught."

"Heaven was brought near."

"They longed to abide in His presence, that the comfort of His love might be with them continually."

Do "WE" long to abide in His presence?? IF NOT---WHY NOT?? ARE THE THINGS OF "THIS WORLD" DISTRACTING US??

==========================
Beneath the cross of Jesus
  I fain would take my stand,
The shadow of a mighty Rock
  Within a weary land;
A home within the wilderness,
  A rest upon the way,
From the burning of the noontide heat,
  And the burden of the day.
Oh, safe and happy shelter!
  Oh, refuge tried and sweet!
Oh, trysting place where heaven’s love
  And heaven’s justice meet.
As to the holy patriarch
  That wondrous dream was given,
So is my Savior by the cross
  A ladder up to heaven.
There lies beneath its shadow,
  But on the farther side,
The darkness of an awful grave
  That gapes both deep and wide;
And there between us stands the cross,
  Two arms outstretched to save,
Like a watchman set to guard the way
  From that eternal grave.
Upon that cross of Jesus
  Mine eye at times can see
The very dying form of One,
  Who suffered there for me;
And from my smitten heart, with tears,
  Two wonders I confess,
The wonders of His glorious love,
  And my own worthlessness.
I take, O cross, thy shadow
  For my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than
  The sunshine of His face;
Content to let the world go by,
  To know no gain nor loss,
My sinful self my only shame,
  My glory all the cross.

Lyrics:Elizabeth Cecilia Clephane (1830-1869)
Music:Frederick Charles Maker (1844-1927)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #106 on: December 24, 2023, 04:17:13 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Beholding the loveliness of Jesus, who Himself is the word of God, reveals to us the way of victory over Satan, sin, this fallen evil world, and our own fallen nature. We need to surrender to and abide in the word of God so its eternal principles of love enter into our thoughts and feelings, making us partakers of the divine nature, giving us continual access to God's strength and grace for His purposes to be fulfilled.

"The means by which we can overcome the wicked one is that by which Christ overcame,—the power of the word. God does not control our minds without our consent; but if we desire to know and to do His will, His promises are ours: 'Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.' 'If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching.' John 8:32; 7:17, R. V. Through faith in these promises, every man may be delivered from the snares of error and the control of sin." {The Desire of Ages, page 258, paragraph 5}

Jesus is coming again very soon, and He is preparing a people who will rely fully on His word for the plan and purpose of life. What a joy to have clarity and victory in Jesus by His word, for the Holy Spirit who inspired the word of God brings to the converted soul all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we are simultaneously empowered to obey God's law up to the light He has revealed!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2023, 06:32:33 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon!

The means by which we can overcome the wicked one is that by which Christ overcame,--the power of the word. God does not control our minds without our consent; but if we desire to know and to do His will, His promises are ours: "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching." John 8:32; 7:17, R. V. Through faith in these promises, every man may be delivered from the snares of error and the control of sin.
     Every man is free to choose what power he will have to rule over him. None have fallen so low, none are so vile, but that they can find deliverance in Christ. The demoniac, in place of prayer, could utter only the words of Satan; yet the heart's unspoken appeal was heard. No cry from a soul in need, though it fail of utterance in words, will be unheeded. Those who will consent to enter into covenant relation with the God of heaven are not left to the power of Satan or to the infirmity of their own nature. They are invited by the Saviour, "Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me." Isaiah 27:5. The spirits of darkness will battle for the soul once under their dominion, but angels of God will contend for that soul with prevailing power. The Lord says, "Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? . . . Thus saith the Lord, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children." Isaiah 49:24, 25. 

Even though they may be possessed by Satan.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2023, 08:36:13 AM »
  The Pharisees sought distinction by their scrupulous ceremonialism, and the ostentation of their worship and charities. They proved their zeal for religion by making it the theme of discussion. Disputes between opposing sects were loud and long, and it was not unusual to hear on the streets the voice of angry controversy from learned doctors of the law.
     In marked contrast to all this was the life of Jesus. In that life no noisy disputation, no ostentatious worship, no act to gain applause, was ever witnessed. Christ was hid in God, and God was revealed in the character of His Son. To this revelation Jesus desired the minds of the people to be directed, and their homage to be given.  {DA 261.2}

Jesus is to be our example, and we see His gentle, kind, loving character, never drawing attention to Himself for self aggrandizement, so should we be in our lives, and doing the work God gives us to accomplish, we need to surrender all to him, and with a humble heart go forth to share Jesus with the world.

Beacon

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2024, 08:01:56 PM »
"Every man is free to choose what power he will have to rule over him. None have fallen so low, none are so vile, but that they can find deliverance in Christ. The demoniac, in place of prayer, could utter only the words of Satan; yet the heart's unspoken appeal was heard." "

No cry from a soul in need, though it fail of utterance in words, will be unheeded."

"Those who will consent to enter into covenant relation with the God of heaven are not left to the power of Satan or to the infirmity of their own nature. They are invited by the Saviour, "Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me." Isaiah 27:5."

"The spirits of darkness will battle for the soul once under their dominion, but angels of God will contend for that soul with prevailing power."

"The Lord says, "Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? . . . Thus saith the Lord, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children." Isaiah 49:24, 25.

Isn't that an amazing promise!! " I will save thy children." It's a promise that I claim everyday for my two daughters who are currently no longer members of God's Remnant Church.

========================
Trust Him when thy wants are many;
  Trust Him when thy friends are few;
And the time of swift temptation
  Is the time to trust Him too.
Trust Him when thy soul is burdened
  With the sense of all its sin;
He will speak the word of pardon,
  He will make thee clean within.
Trust Him for the grace sufficient,
  Ever equal to thy need;
Trust Him always for the answer,
  When in His dear name you plead.
Trust Him for the grace to conquer,
  He is able to subdue;
Trust Him for the power for service;
  Trust Him for the blessing too.
Trust Him when dark doubts assail thee,
  Trust Him when thy strength is small,
Trust Him when to simply trust Him
  Seems the hardest thing of all.
Trust Him; He is ever faithful;
  Trust Him, for His will is best;
Trust Him, for the heart of Jesus
  Is the only place of rest.
Trust Him, then, through cloud or sunshine,
  All thy cares upon Him cast,
Till the storm of life is over,
  And the trusting days are past.

Lyrics:Lucy Ann Bennett (1850-1927)
Music:T. A. Willis

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2024, 05:40:30 AM »
Amen my dear Brother Beacon. Our only hope is to trust Him who gave all that we might live. There is hope for our children who have gone astray. Even the captives of Satan who have lost all control can be drawn back into the fold if they want to turn way from sin.

The means by which we can overcome the wicked one is that by which Christ overcame,--the power of the word. God does not control our minds without our consent; but if we desire to know and to do His will, His promises are ours: "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching." John 8:32; 7:17, R. V. Through faith in these promises, every man may be delivered from the snares of error and the control of sin.
     Every man is free to choose what power he will have to rule over him. None have fallen so low, none are so vile, but that they can find deliverance in Christ. The demoniac, in place of prayer, could utter only the words of Satan; yet the heart's unspoken appeal was heard. No cry from a soul in need, though it fail of utterance in words, will be unheeded. Those who will consent to enter into covenant relation with the God of heaven are not left to the power of Satan or to the infirmity of their own nature. They are invited by the Saviour, "Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me." Isaiah 27:5. The spirits of darkness will battle for the soul once under their dominion, but angels of God will contend for that soul with prevailing power. The Lord says, "Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? . . . Thus saith the Lord, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children." Isaiah 49:24, 25. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2024, 08:09:40 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

May we never forget the loveliness of Jesus. That is why it is so well to daily spend a "thoughtful hour" contemplating His life--especially the closing scenes. Amid all that we face in life, in every moment, His love is infinite and His ministry for us in the heavenly sanctuary as our high priest is to give us victory over sin, discouragement and all of Satan's delusions. Since Jesus "ever liveth to make intercession" (Hebrews 7:25), as we abide in Christ also, we join Him in that earnest, prayerful continual intercessory ministry to woo and win souls into the fold of God so that all who are willing to be made willing may be ready to meet Jesus at His imminent return in power and great glory. He takes us as we are in our brokenness and sinfulness, and by the power of divine grace moves us to true repentance, leads us in honest confession and forsaking of sin, gives us the guidance and grace we need to walk in true obedience, and continually fills us with all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing. What a foretaste of heaven it is to walk and talk with Jesus!

"His tender compassion fell with a touch of healing upon weary and troubled hearts. Even amid the turbulence of angry enemies He was surrounded with an atmosphere of peace. The beauty of His countenance, the loveliness of His character, above all, the love expressed in look and tone, drew to Him all who were not hardened in unbelief. Had it not been for the sweet, sympathetic spirit that shone out in every look and word, He would not have attracted the large congregations that He did. The afflicted ones who came to Him felt that He linked His interest with theirs as a faithful and tender friend, and they desired to know more of the truths He taught. Heaven was brought near. They longed to abide in His presence, that the comfort of His love might be with them continually." {The Desire of Ages, page 254, paragraph 4}

Abide in Jesus continually. Intentionally realize that He is with you moment by moment and let His love shine forth through you in some degree to bless others. We were created for His glory--and the glory of our selfless God is to give! As we receive afresh the revelations of His infinite loveliness of character, we will long to speak of Him to others so they can be blessed, encouraged and transformed, too! He will work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure as the result of us working out what God works within. Watching and praying through beholding Jesus helps us have the love motivation to yield the will to Him so He can give us a new heart that He promises to keep pure as the whitest snow. Only in Christ is this possible, and the glory is all to His name!