Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--25--The Call by the Sea  (Read 15310 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--25--The Call by the Sea
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:22 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard and Sister Dorine!

By beholding Christ we see our great need of Him as our Savior as we will see our own sinfulness in contrast. Such a revelation of our need of Jesus moves us to surrender all to Him, so we may become transformed in mind and character!

"Jesus chose unlearned fishermen because they had not been schooled in the traditions and erroneous customs of their time. They were men of native ability, and they were humble and teachable,--men whom He could educate for His work. In the common walks of life there is many a man patiently treading the round of daily toil, unconscious that he possesses powers which, if called into action, would raise him to an equality with the world's most honored men. The touch of a skillful hand is needed to arouse those dormant faculties. It was such men that Jesus called to be His colaborers; and He gave them the advantage of association with Himself. Never had the world's great men such a teacher. When the disciples came forth from the Saviour's training, they were no longer ignorant and uncultured. They had become like Him in mind and character, and men took knowledge of them that they had been with Jesus." {The Desire of Ages, page 250, paragraph 1}

Becoming like Jesus is a great miracle that happens in such a simple way--spending time with Him, contemplating His life and lessons, communing with Him in prayer, and sharing what we have learned of Him with others. May you have a transformational experience with Jesus who renews us by His will and word is my prayer! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »
"Continual devotion established so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God."

"In the apostles of our Lord there was nothing to bring glory to themselves.  It was evident that the success of their labors was due only to God. The lives of these men, the characters they developed, and the mighty work that God wrought through them, are a testimony to what He will do for all who are teachable and obedient...Through the Holy Spirit, that voice which was speaking from the fisherman's boat on the Sea of Galilee, would be heard speaking peace to human hearts to the close of time."

Do you long to be a more consistent loyal messenger for Jesus? His promise to us is recorded in Matthew 7:7-12...

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2019, 06:36:09 AM »
In the apostles of our Lord there was nothing to bring glory to themselves. It was evident that the success of their labors was due only to God. The lives of these men, the characters they developed, and the mighty work that God wrought through them, are a testimony to what He will do for all who are teachable and obedient.  {DA 250.3}

What a Saviour. When Jesus has our hearts He is able to give us abilities we never knew were possible. As we walk in the path of His direction there is no limit to what He will do for us. The disciples are a perfect example of what God is desiring to do for each of us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

God loves to use humble instrumentalities that it may be evident that the power working in and through them is the result of His Spirit! As we see our great need, God will more than supply all our necessities!

"In the apostles of our Lord there was nothing to bring glory to themselves. It was evident that the success of their labors was due only to God. The lives of these men, the characters they developed, and the mighty work that God wrought through them, are a testimony to what He will do for all who are teachable and obedient."  {The Desire of Ages, page 250, paragraph 3} 

To be teachable and obedient is not natural to fallen humanity. Fallen human beings are naturally proud and self-sufficient. How may we become teachable and obedient? It is the result of beholding the loveliness of Jesus in contrast to our sinfulness, and yet seeing our great need, being filled with hope that Jesus wants to use even you and me as His witnesses. Yielding the whole heart to Christ, we allow Him to recreate us into His image by a continual surrender of our will to Him. The witness for which He longs are hearts and minds fully imbued with His Spirit revealing the divine nature in the attributes of the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. All of these traits of character without one missing are manifest in a truly converted life--and that life has no limits, for it is a life connected to Jesus Christ, the Vine!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2020, 04:16:45 AM »
Don't wait to make yourself better--come to Christ just as you are. As you behold Him in all of His exceedingly great loveliness, and as you see your sinfulness, let your heart yield unreservedly to His supernatural grace which has power to convert you into a new creature whose life is brought into harmony with the law of love by being imbued with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. This is a great miracle, but it is available to all who look upon Christ and accept His Spirit to transform the soul into His image! Character is developed by degrees, and slowly, steadily, and without fail we are becoming like what we behold. Let us look continually to Christ so that what He has begun, He may complete by a mature revelation of His character in us so we may be safe to take directly to heaven when He comes so very soon! By His grace, all things are possible!

"God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, will quicken all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. Continual devotion establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 251, paragraph 1}

The fruit Christ desires so much is a revelation of Himself in His people, that that image of His love may be reproduced in others! Let the light of His grace shine in your life today!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2020, 06:21:10 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  Perfection of Christian character is a mystery in the church, but it ought not be. The thief on the cross obtained perfection of character and was promised that he would be in heaven with Jesus. Then, where is the growth of character? All of the fruits of the Spirit were given to the repentant thief, not one was missing. He was ready for heaven. But, God wants more from you and me. He wants a greater abundance of the fruits. Not more in number, but in strength of each fruit. He wants to make us more loving, more patient. He will not allow to be tempted beyond what we can bear, but He will allow us to be tempted at a higher level. This is the life of Christians, that we may more perfectly reflect our Savior's character. Yes, "more" perfectly, even though the character is already perfect. This is something foreign to our thinking that after obtaining perfection, there is room for more perfection. Perfect at each stage of development, just as the plant is perfect at each stage of growth. And at times, it is through suffering that we are strengthened, just as was Jesus. He learned obedience though the things He suffered, yet He was always obedient. Peter saw his sinfulness also.

We see this in today's reading as we contemplate the prayer of Daniel when he included himself in the prayer. Was it because Daniel was sinning he pleaded for forgiveness? No. He was already repentant. Then why include himself? Peter when aware of the majesty of Christ's character, had a standard by which he could better see his own deficiencies of character.

The presence of divinity revealed his own unholiness. Love for his Master, shame for his own unbelief, gratitude for the condescension of Christ, above all, the sense of his uncleanness in the presence of infinite purity, overwhelmed him. While his companions were securing the contents of the net, Peter fell at the Saviour's feet, exclaiming, "Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord."
     It was the same presence of divine holiness that had caused the prophet Daniel to fall as one dead before the angel of God. He said, "My comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength." So when Isaiah beheld the glory of the Lord, he exclaimed, "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts." Daniel 10:8; Isaiah 6:5. Humanity, with its weakness and sin, was brought in contrast with the perfection of divinity, and he felt altogether deficient and unholy. Thus it has been with all who have been granted a view of God's greatness and majesty. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2020, 04:50:49 PM »
"When Isaiah beheld the glory of the Lord, he exclaimed, "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts." Daniel 10:8; Isaiah 6:5. Humanity, with its weakness and sin, was brought in contrast with the perfection of divinity, and he felt altogether deficient and unholy.

"Thus it has been with all who have been granted a view of God's greatness and majesty."

May our conversation in song and praise ever... be NOT I BUT CHRIST....

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2020, 05:32:31 AM »
Covid-19 has brought a range of emotions for so many; fear, discouragement, frustration, loss, sadness, loneliness, and many other struggles are affecting people as we are all facing a world that is not the same. Jesus understands the struggles of every one of our souls. He Himself knew the difficulties we would face in the last days, but He has promised His presence with us! "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

The disciples also went through times of struggle and trial, and it was when they felt separated from Jesus that their hearts became discouraged. Oh, let us learn even in this global pandemic to allow Jesus to abide in our hearts and give us His joy even amid great tribulation! "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience" (James 1:2-3).

"During that sad night on the lake, when they were separated from Christ, the disciples were pressed hard by unbelief, and weary with fruitless toil. But His presence kindled their faith, and brought them joy and success. So it is with us; apart from Christ, our work is fruitless, and it is easy to distrust and murmur. But when He is near, and we labor under His direction, we rejoice in the evidence of His power. It is Satan's work to discourage the soul; it is Christ's work to inspire with faith and hope." {The Desire of Ages, page 249, paragraph 2}

Let us look above the present difficulty to Christ who knows no defeat, and to a Savior who will work all things together for good to them that love Him! As we yield the whole heart to Him, He fills us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! We gladly may go where He sends us in the joy of His abiding presence! Jesus has given us a commission and it will be fulfilled as we look to Him for guidance! "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen" (Matthew 28:18-20). Praise the Lord for such words of hope!!

Beacon

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »
"God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, will quicken all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness."

Isn't that a GREAT PROMISE!! - Under the Guidance of the Holy Spirit 'WE CAN BE TRANSFORMED'...Into a fit vessel for God to use!!

"Continual devotion establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God."

Matthew 7:7-8 King James Version "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Is it not an AWESOME PRIVILEGE to be called to stand and witness for our Jesus at such a time as this!! 
Are You - Am I - Willing??

Beacon

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2020, 06:45:07 AM »
"In the apostles of our Lord there was nothing to bring glory to themselves.  It was evident that the success of their labors was due only to God. The lives of these men, the characters they developed, and the mighty work that God wrought through them, are a testimony to what He will do for all who are teachable and obedient...

Through the Holy Spirit, that voice which was speaking from the fisherman's boat on the Sea of Galilee, would be heard speaking peace to human hearts to the close of time."

Do you long to be a more consistent loyal messenger for Jesus? His promise to us is recorded in Matthew 7:7-12...

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2020, 08:03:32 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

God sees the end from the beginning. It is so encouraging to remember that Jesus thought of us when He was in His ministry on earth!

"Beside the throng on the shores of Gennesaret, Jesus in His sermon by the sea had other audiences before His mind. Looking down the ages, He saw His faithful ones in prison and judgment hall, in temptation and loneliness and affliction. Every scene of joy and conflict and perplexity was open before Him. In the words spoken to those gathered about Him, He was speaking also to these other souls the very words that would come to them as a message of hope in trial, of comfort in sorrow, and heavenly light in darkness. Through the Holy Spirit, that voice which was speaking from the fisherman's boat on the Sea of Galilee, would be heard speaking peace to human hearts to the close of time." {The Desire of Ages, page 245, paragraph 3}

Let Jesus speak lasting peace to your heart--a peace that passes all understanding in the trials and tribulations of this moral life that will soon be swallowed up in glory by the coming of Jesus! As we yield the whole heart to Christ He cleanses us from sin by His atoning blood, imparts to us a living union and communion with Him by the Holy Spirit, and empowers us to happily obey God's law of love!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2020, 07:35:19 AM »
Be encouraged! Connect your life in complete surrender to Jesus and press onward and upward in God's appointed plan for your life!

"During that sad night on the lake, when they were separated from Christ, the disciples were pressed hard by unbelief, and weary with fruitless toil. But His presence kindled their faith, and brought them joy and success. So it is with us; apart from Christ, our work is fruitless, and it is easy to distrust and murmur. But when He is near, and we labor under His direction, we rejoice in the evidence of His power. It is Satan's work to discourage the soul; it is Christ's work to inspire with faith and hope." {The Desire of Ages, page 249, paragraph 2}   

Christ will give a converted heart, filling us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we surrender fully and continually to Him and become partakers of the divine nature! Then like the disciples Jesus first called, we may be encouraged to go forward to win souls to His kingdom!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! Jesus will make all who love Him supremely fishers of men!

The Saviour did not despise education; for when controlled by the love of God, and devoted to His service, intellectual culture is a blessing. But He passed by the wise men of His time, because they were so self-confident that they could not sympathize with suffering humanity, and become colaborers with the Man of Nazareth. In their bigotry they scorned to be taught by Christ. The Lord Jesus seeks the co-operation of those who will become unobstructed channels for the communication of His grace. The first thing to be learned by all who would become workers together with God is the lesson of self-distrust; then they are prepared to have imparted to them the character of Christ. This is not to be gained through education in the most scientific schools. It is the fruit of wisdom that is obtained from the divine Teacher alone.
     Jesus chose unlearned fishermen because they had not been schooled in the traditions and erroneous customs of their time. They were men of native ability, and they were humble and teachable,--men whom He could educate for His work. In the common walks of life there is many a man patiently treading the round of daily toil, unconscious that he possesses powers which, if called into action, would raise him to an equality with the world's most honored men. The touch of a skillful hand is needed to arouse those dormant faculties. It was such men that Jesus called to be His colaborers; and He gave them the advantage of association with Himself. Never had the world's great men such a teacher. When the disciples came forth from the Saviour's training, they were no longer ignorant and uncultured. They had become like Him in mind and character, and men took knowledge of them that they had been with Jesus.
     It is not the highest work of education to communicate knowledge merely, but to impart that vitalizing energy which is received through the contact of mind with mind, and soul with soul. It is only life that can beget life. What privilege, then, was theirs who for three years were in daily contact with that divine life from which has flowed every life-giving impulse that has blessed the world! Above all his companions, John the beloved disciple yielded himself to the power of that wondrous life. He says, "The life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and show unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us." "Of His fullness have all we received, and grace for grace." 1 John 1:2; John 1:16.
     In the apostles of our Lord there was nothing to bring glory to themselves. It was evident that the success of their labors was due only to God. The lives of these men, the characters they developed, and the mighty work that God wrought through them, are a testimony to what He will do for all who are teachable and obedient. 
     He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good.

I encourage all to prayerfully re-read this statement of truth.  Then go to this week's Sabbath School lesson and teach what you have learned. There is great need for instruction by those who understand what is written. Don't take for granted that the leaders in our church are teaching the truth. Many are, but many more are not. If you are truly converted, then God has made you fishers of men and that work begins in the church. This coming Sabbath, your Sabbath School class needs to hear what we have just read. There are many, very many who Jesus wants to make fishers of men.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2020, 06:10:57 AM »
"Jesus chose unlearned fishermen because they had not been schooled in the traditions and erroneous customs of their time. They were men of native ability, and they were humble and teachable,--men whom He could educate for His work. In the common walks of life there is many a man patiently treading the round of daily toil, unconscious that he possesses powers which, if called into action, would raise him to an equality with the world's most honored men. The touch of a skillful hand is needed to arouse those dormant faculties. It was such men that Jesus called to be His colaborers; and He gave them the advantage of association with Himself.

They had become like Him in mind and character, and men took knowledge of them that they had been with Jesus."

"In the apostles of our Lord there was nothing to bring glory to themselves. It was evident that the success of their labors was due only to God. The lives of these men, the characters they developed, and the mighty work that God wrought through them, are a testimony to what He will do for all who are teachable and obedient..

"He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2021, 03:28:53 AM »
Happy Sabbath! Limitless and infinite possibilities of service to the glory of God are spread out before us as we surrender ALL to Him and let Christ come live in our hearts by grace through faith so that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing! The blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin as we confess and forsake our sins and choose Jesus on a moment-by-moment basis in the blessing of constant union and communion with Christ!

"He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good. There is no limit to the usefulness of one who, by putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, and lives a life wholly consecrated to God. If men will endure the necessary discipline, without complaining or fainting by the way, God will teach them hour by hour, and day by day. He longs to reveal His grace. If His people will remove the obstructions, He will pour forth the waters of salvation in abundant streams through the human channels. If men in humble life were encouraged to do all the good they could do, if restraining hands were not laid upon them to repress their zeal, there would be a hundred workers for Christ where now there is one." {The Desire of Ages, page 250, paragraph 4}

Let us go forth to be a blessing today in all the ways of God's providential leading!

Dorine

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2021, 05:54:34 AM »
"The deeper lesson which the miracle conveyed for the disciples is a lesson for us also,--that He whose word could gather the fishes from the sea could also impress human hearts, and draw them by the cords of His love, so that His servants might become "fishers of men."

Let this thought enlarge our understanding and imagination to where our faith will not fail but will take hold of Christ in every seemingly hopeless situation.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2021, 06:35:28 AM »
"If men will endure the necessary discipline, without complaining or fainting by the way, God will teach them hour by hour, and day by day. He longs to reveal His grace. If His people will remove the obstructions,

He will pour forth the waters of salvation in abundant streams through the human channels....

..If men in humble life were encouraged to do all the good they could do, if restraining hands were not laid upon them to repress their zeal, there would be a hundred workers for Christ where now there is one.."

"He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good. There is no limit to the usefulness of one who, by putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, and lives a life wholly consecrated to God.

Will you join with me in telling Jesus that we are willing to Surrender All to Him?

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2021, 08:08:27 AM »
I am always amazed and blessed as I read your posts. The Holy Spirit is leading us into unity of doctrine!

What is the subject of today's reading? Is it not the desire of Jesus to make us fishers of men? It is His work to do so. He came to teach us how it is that we can join in His work of saving the lost. I would like to pick just one paragraph as we usually do, but today I cannot. It is too important that we get the whole message that we might be able to not only be fishers of men, but are able to teach others how to be used by God to save the lost.

God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him.

We see this in today's reading that He had called the eleven, but that does not mean they were immediately fishers of men or that they were even converted. Did they love God with the whole heart when Jesus chose them? We know that they often did not, as we saw at the last supper when all were vying for the highest place, and later that night all forsook Him.

So, we now see that Jesus chose them that He might "educate them for His service."  But, it required something on the part of those whom He chooses. They must "yield themselves to Him."  They all did except for Judas who He did not call. But, it did not happen in one day or even a few. It took some time for them to be consistent in their yielding. They must first see that they were evil by nature and needed Jesus all the time, not just part of the time.

Isaiah, Daniel, and Peter all experienced this, and so must we, and all who are to become fishers of men.

The presence of divinity revealed his own unholiness. Love for his Master, shame for his own unbelief, gratitude for the condescension of Christ, above all, the sense of his uncleanness in the presence of infinite purity, overwhelmed him. While his companions were securing the contents of the net, Peter fell at the Saviour's feet, exclaiming, "Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord." 

Jesus cannot come until He has a people who reflect His character and cease sinning. In order for this to happen, He needs fishers of men who will teach as He taught.

It was after Peter had been led to self-renunciation and dependence upon divine power that he received the call to his work for Christ.  Until this time none of the disciples had fully united as colaborers with Jesus.

Not only self-renunciation, but we must come to see our "dependence upon divine power" in order to do any good thing and be fishers of men who will be dependent upon divine power also. This divine power will not only keep us from sinning and bringing reproach upon Jesus, it will provide for our needs, all of them. Not our wants, but our needs to do the work we are called to do.

Jesus had given them the assurance that God would supply their needs.

Do we believe this? When in a hard spot and we do not know which way to turn to feed our families or pay the gas bill, do we believe God will provide? Or has "unbelief" caused us to fear?  How does "unbelief" enter into the mind of those seeking to serve God? We let our minds wander away from Jesus. If we would keep our focus on God, then we would not fail Him.

During that sad night on the lake, when they were separated from Christ, the disciples were pressed hard by unbelief, and weary with fruitless toil. But His presence kindled their faith, and brought them joy and success. So it is with us; apart from Christ, our work is fruitless, and it is easy to distrust and murmur. But when He is near, and we labor under His direction, we rejoice in the evidence of His power.

It takes time to be trained by Jesus to become successful fishers of men. Christ is patient as we see He was with His disciples. After three and a half years, they still did not understand Jesus had to die to pay the price for their sins. Peter attempted to stop Jesus from going to Jerusalem to die after these three and a half years of training. Yet, even though they all forsook Him, He did not forsake them. Neither will He be impatient with us. He is long-suffering with us, as we all can testify. He came to save us, not to destroy us. He is daily encouraging us. And, He wants us to be successful fishers of men, no matter who we are, where we come from, or how we have been educated. It is the heart that He wants, all of it. Then He will make fishers of men even if uneducated.

He whose word could gather the fishes from the sea could also impress human hearts, and draw them by the cords of His love, so that His servants might become "fishers of men." 

And not only you and me, but when we are fishing for the souls of men, who is it that convicts them of sin, righteousness, and judgment? Is it not the power of God, the Holy Spirit opening the mind of sinners to truth, to the Truth? It is God that reveals His character of love to those we are fishing for. And, we are to be His witnesses of that power to change sinners into saints. We must live what it is that we are preaching to the fish we seek to save. We must reveal His character to a world soon to perish.

When the disciples came forth from the Saviour's training, they were no longer ignorant and uncultured. They had become like Him in mind and character, and men took knowledge of them that they had been with Jesus.

My dear brothers and sisters who are reading what we post, be encouraged that Jesus will continue to train you as He did His disciples. If we will continue learning of Him, He shall continue revealing Himself to us. And, by beholding His glory, His character, we shall be transformed into His image (His character). It is an intellectual and a spiritual truth that be beholding we become changed. The mind will adapt itself to the subjects upon which it is allowed to dwell. This is a Biblical truth. "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18.

Even conversion takes time. It is the end of a long protracted process of wooing by the Holy Spirit that ends in loving God with all we have and all we are. Be encouraged that God will continue until we are a light on a hill revealing the love that God has for all who are yet sinners.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2021, 03:36:04 AM »
Grace from God takes us as we are, and grace from God transforms us into His image! By beholding the loveliness of Jesus, the heart and mind are brought into union and communion with God through complete surrender to Christ so that all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing may be manifest in and through the life that is hid with Christ in God! What wondrous love that God is willing to use us and make us like Him in mind and character so we can gladly obey God's law of love!

"God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, will quicken all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. Continual devotion establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 251, paragraph 1}

The fruits of the Spirit as well as souls redeemed are the fruit of letting God work out His purpose through us! May this be your experience today on a moment-by-moment basis in Jesus' surrender wrought out through your life!

Dorine

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2021, 05:21:44 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. I too was impressed with these inspiring words.

I was also encouraged by the following quote.

During that sad night on the lake, when they were separated from Christ, the disciples were pressed hard by unbelief, and weary with fruitless toil. But His presence kindled their faith, and brought them joy and success. So it is with us; apart from Christ, our work is fruitless, and it is easy to distrust and murmur. But when He is near, and we labor under His direction, we rejoice in the evidence of His power. It is Satan's work to discourage the soul; it is Christ's work to inspire with faith and hope.

We need to live in the presence of Jesus moment by moment every day to experience the love, joy and peace that comes from following Him. That's exactly what happens every morning as we follow Him in our reading for the day. His love, grace and power are so evident that it sweeps away the cobwebs of doubt and discontent. He is our all in all and we can rejoice in our joys and tribulations because we know He is leading us in the path that is best for us.