Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--24--"Is Not This the Carpenter's Son?"  (Read 15509 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--24--"Is Not This the Carpenter's Son?"
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2020, 06:02:18 AM »
"If they had honestly searched the Scriptures, bringing their theories to the test of God's word, Jesus need not have wept over their impenitence. He need not have declared, "Behold, your house is left unto you desolate." Luke 13:35. They might have been acquainted with the evidence of His Messiahship, and the calamity that laid their proud city in ruins might have been averted."

"But the minds of the Jews had become narrowed by their unreasoning bigotry. The lessons of Christ revealed their deficiencies of character, and demanded repentance. If they accepted His teachings, their practices must be changed, and their cherished hopes relinquished. If they obeyed the words of this new rabbi, they must go contrary to the opinions of the great thinkers and teachers of the time.

In order to be honored by Heaven, they must sacrifice the honor of men. Truth was unpopular in Christ's day. It is unpopular in our day."

According to Bible Prophecy we are living in a time when Bible Truth is going to become VERY, VERY UNPOPULAR. We must prepare NOW or we will be swept away by delusions and persecution. Once again let us Remember, " HE WHO FAILS TO PREPARE - PREPARE'S TO FAIL."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2021, 05:11:46 PM »
"If they had honestly searched the Scriptures, bringing their theories to the test of God's word, Jesus need not have wept over their impenitence. He need not have declared, "Behold, your house is left unto you desolate." Luke 13:35. They might have been acquainted with the evidence of His Messiahship, and...

..."The calamity that laid their proud city in ruins might have been averted"...

"But the minds of the Jews had become narrowed by their unreasoning bigotry. The lessons of Christ revealed their deficiencies of character, and demanded repentance. If they accepted His teachings, their practices must be changed, and their cherished hopes relinquished. In order to be honored by Heaven, they must sacrifice the honor of men. If they obeyed the words of this new rabbi, they must go contrary to the opinions of the great thinkers and teachers of the time."

Truth was unpopular in Christ's day. Is it not also unpopular in our day, sometimes even within the walls of our current sanctuaries?

According to Bible Prophecy we are living in a time when Bible Truth is going to become VERY, VERY UNPOPULAR. We must prepare NOW or we will be swept away by delusions and persecution. Remember " HE WHO FAILS TO PREPARE - PREPARE'S TO FAIL."

Dorine

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2021, 05:13:22 AM »
"But when Jesus announced, "This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears," they were suddenly recalled to think of themselves, and of the claims of Him who had been addressing them. They, Israelites, children of Abraham, had been represented as in bondage. They had been addressed as prisoners to be delivered from the power of evil; as in darkness, and needing the light of truth. Their pride was offended, and their fears were roused. The words of Jesus indicated that His work for them was to be altogether different from what they desired. Their deeds might be investigated too closely."

It is interesting to read of the acceptance of Jesus' words in the previous paragraph but when they realized that He was referring to them they were quite offended and ready to kill Him. It brought my thoughts to today and reminded me of the Laodicean message that Jesus has given to us.
(Rev 3:14)  And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
(Rev 3:15)  I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.(Rev 3:16)  So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
(Rev 3:17)  Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: (followed by the counsel Jesus gave)

This message is no more accepted today than it was when Jesus gave it. May our hearts be receptive to the message and counsel of Jesus that we may be overcomers as Jesus overcame.

Rev 3:18  I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Philip T

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2021, 07:50:31 AM »
  As they opened the door to doubt, their hearts became so much the harder for having been momentarily softened. Satan was determined that blind eyes should not that day be opened, nor souls bound in slavery be set at liberty. With intense energy he worked to fasten them in unbelief. They made no account of the sign already given, when they had been stirred by the conviction that it was their Redeemer who addressed them. 

This statement is both frightening and wonderful as it warns us of the effects of doubt or unbelief in out walk with Christ and search for the truth, when we doubt we are allowing Satan and his forces to enter in and wage war with God in our soul's, we are denying the workings of the Holy Spirit within us. When this state persists are heart are hardened a little more each day against God and the working of the Holy Spirit. Pray daily for God's power to overcome this state, and surrender anew to God.

Our standing before God depends, not upon the amount of light we have received, but upon the use we make of what we have. Thus even the heathen who choose the right as far as they can distinguish it are in a more favorable condition than are those who have had great light, and profess to serve God, but who disregard the light, and by their daily life contradict their profession. [/size]

This statement shows God's love and the power of his mercy/grace, if we are living up to and using all the knowledge we have, being obedient to this knowledge, we have a favorable standing before Christ.  God's grace closes the gap and in God's sight we are made perfect. This does not mean we should stop searching for truth where we are, we are to continue to seek and it will be given unto us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2021, 08:44:00 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine and Brother Philip!

When we use what we have for God's glory, this is pleasing to Him! When we follow what we know to be true, then God can reveal more! True conversion enables the soul to be cleansed from sin by the blood of Jesus through a complete heart surrender to Him, fills the renewed mind and heart with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, and empowers the soul to live up to all the light of truth that is known at that point in character building! Let us seek for light and walk in it as God prepares us for heaven!

"Our standing before God depends, not upon the amount of light we have received, but upon the use we make of what we have. Thus even the heathen who choose the right as far as they can distinguish it are in a more favorable condition than are those who have had great light, and profess to serve God, but who disregard the light, and by their daily life contradict their profession." {The Desire of Ages, page 239, paragraph 2} 

May we realize that God is calling for us to live the light of truth, and that He Himself, the Light of the world, will live out His life within us as we experience a genuine union and communion with Christ! What joy we may have in doing His will! The happiest place on earth is to be in the center of God's will!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2021, 09:03:04 PM »
I too was impressed with the truth that God judges the heart. When we are converted we get a new heart. That is the heart is cleansed from sin and is pure and holy. Why is that? When we love God more than anything else, we are born again and are filled with the Holy Spirit. Thus, we walk in the Spirit being empowered by the Spirit. God wants the whole heart, not part of it. When we walk in the Spirit we are walking in all of the light God has given us.

Our standing before God depends, not upon the amount of light we have received, but upon the use we make of what we have. Thus even the heathen who choose the right as far as they can distinguish it are in a more favorable condition than are those who have had great light, and profess to serve God, but who disregard the light, and by their daily life contradict their profession.
     The words of Jesus to His hearers in the synagogue struck at the root of their self-righteousness, pressing home upon them the bitter truth that they had departed from God and forfeited their claim to be His people. Every word cut like a knife as their real condition was set before them. They now scorned the faith with which Jesus had at first inspired them. They would not admit that He who had sprung from poverty and lowliness was other than a common man. 

As Sister Dorine has pointed out, those who disregard the light that Jesus gives, as in the Laodicean message, contradict their profession. That message is indeed no more popular than it was when Jesus came to His own and they knew Him not.

Have a blessed Sabbath my dear brothers and sisters!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2021, 06:22:32 AM »
"Oh, how Christ longed to open to Israel the precious treasures of the truth! But such was their spiritual blindness that it was impossible to reveal to them the truths relating to His kingdom. They clung to their creed and their useless ceremonies when the truth of Heaven awaited their acceptance.

"They spent their money for chaff and husks, when the bread of life was within their reach."

"If they had honestly searched the Scriptures, bringing their theories to the test of God's word, Jesus need not have wept over their impenitence. He need not have declared, "Behold, your house is left unto you desolate." Luke 13:35. They might have been acquainted with the evidence of His Messiahship, and the calamity that laid their proud city in ruins might have been averted."

"But the minds of the Jews had become narrowed by their unreasoning bigotry."

"The lessons of Christ revealed their deficiencies of character, and demanded repentance. If they accepted His teachings, their practices must be changed, and their cherished hopes relinquished".

In order to be honored by Heaven, they must sacrifice the honor of men.

"If they obeyed the words of this new rabbi, they must go contrary to the opinions of the great thinkers and teachers of the time. Truth was unpopular in Christ's day. It is unpopular in our day."

God message today is the same as in the days of Joshua when he said "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. What will your choice be?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2021, 08:09:22 AM »
In a world or rebellion, truth is unpopular. But in the world to come, truth will be what all holy beings will love and experience! We have a choice as to whether we are preparing for the world to come by inviting Jesus into our hearts in complete surrender, or whether we are living for this world, its traditions, its sinful pleasures, and the things that will soon pass away. I pray that we will choose truth over error, the light of God's love over man-made traditions, and let the Lord change our hearts as we surrender fully to Jesus moment-by-moment! He is the only Way!!

"Truth was unpopular in Christ's day. It is unpopular in our day. It has been unpopular ever since Satan first gave man a disrelish for it by presenting fables that lead to self-exaltation. Do we not today meet theories and doctrines that have no foundation in the word of God? Men cling as tenaciously to them as did the Jews to their traditions." {The Desire of Ages, page 242, paragraph 1}

Let go of whatever hinders you from serving God and let Christ live in you, the hope of glory! He is all in all and His word will triumph! When we live by faith on the Son of God whose very life and character is truth, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing! Then we can gladly obey God's commandments from a heart renewed by His divine grace because the Holy Spirit lives in us! Hallelujah!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2021, 11:01:59 PM »
Pastor Sean, I too was impressed with this truth:

Truth was unpopular in Christ's day. It is unpopular in our day. It has been unpopular ever since Satan first gave man a disrelish for it by presenting fables that lead to self-exaltation. Do we not today meet theories and doctrines that have no foundation in the word of God? Men cling as tenaciously to them as did the Jews to their traditions. 

It is not our job to convince those who resist the truth, the Holy Spirit is working on that side of things. We plant seed and pray for an abundant crop!

Brother Beacon brought up a really important truth:

"The lessons of Christ revealed their deficiencies of character, and demanded repentance. If they accepted His teachings, their practices must be changed,

Deficiencies of character, moral character, demand repentance. Want a translation?   Their practices must be changed.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2021, 08:04:53 PM »
God's Word says in Proverbs 16:18 "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

"Our standing before God depends, not upon the amount of light we have received, but upon the use we make of what we have."

Please Read the following sentence Very Carefully....

Thus even the heathen who choose the right as far as they can distinguish it are in a more favorable condition than are those who have had great light, and profess to serve God, but who disregard the light, and by their daily life contradict their profession.     

Do we realize how important it is to let our lives be a HUMBLE LIVING EXAMPLE of what we claim to believe and teach? Or are we hypocrites?

"The words of Jesus to His hearers in the synagogue struck at the root of their self-righteousness, pressing home upon them the bitter truth that they had departed from God and forfeited their claim to be His people."

"Every word cut like a knife as their real condition was set before them."

"They now scorned the faith with which Jesus had at first inspired them. They would not admit that He who had sprung from poverty and lowliness was other than a common man."

In the final judgement day they will hear Jesus say...As the nations which the Lord destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the Lord your God. Deuteronomy 8:20

Time is running out my dear family and friends -  Soon our probationary time will end. Let us bow before the Lord our God, confess our sins, and rededicate our lives once again to Jesus and be a strong and true witness in these closing moments of earth's history. Will you join me in singing this prayer of dedication?

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Dorine

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2021, 05:26:17 AM »
"The Old Testament Scriptures stated plainly every detail of Christ's ministry, and again and again He quoted from the prophets, and declared, "This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears." If they had honestly searched the Scriptures, bringing their theories to the test of God's word, Jesus need not have wept over their impenitence. He need not have declared, "Behold, your house is left unto you desolate." Luke 13:35.

This is so sad yet we observe the same condition today among God's people. 
I'm reminded of the text in Matthew 7:21 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

Also in Matthew 25:11-12 are the saddest words of all. "Afterward came also the other virgins saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not."
How hard it must be for Jesus when He has to say these words.We must never give up on the church. It is God's church, defective though it be. It is the apple of His eye and we have a work to do within the church as well as for those outside the church.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Philip T

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2021, 07:25:40 AM »
  As they opened the door to doubt, their hearts became so much the harder for having been momentarily softened. Satan was determined that blind eyes should not that day be opened, nor souls bound in slavery be set at liberty. With intense energy he worked to fasten them in unbelief. They made no account of the sign already given, when they had been stirred by the conviction that it was their Redeemer who addressed them.   [/color

As we read in an earlier chapter doubt is Satan's counterfeit for faith, and how does he use it to fasten us in unbelief, even when presented with the truth and the Holy Spirit is convicting our hearts, Satan is counteracting them with doubt. What a powerful weapon this is for Satan, and it shows the power of faith. So let us cling to Jesus with faith knowing He is our only door to heaven. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2021, 10:54:14 AM »
Praise the Lord for the opportunity to be in the center of His will! Let us choose truth over error by walking by grace through faith in constant union and communion with Jesus!

Truth was unpopular in Christ's day. It is unpopular in our day. It has been unpopular ever since Satan first gave man a disrelish for it by presenting fables that lead to self-exaltation. Do we not today meet theories and doctrines that have no foundation in the word of God? Men cling as tenaciously to them as did the Jews to their traditions. 

Let us learn to trust God's word over anything else--no matter how strong the temptations that may come that contradict it! As we learn of Christ and surrender fully to Him, He fills us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we obey Jesus with true, affectionate obedience!

Dorine

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2021, 06:06:28 AM »
"So, in all ages, angels have been near to Christ's faithful followers. The vast confederacy of evil is arrayed against all who would overcome; but Christ would have us look to the things which are not seen, to the armies of heaven encamped about all who love God, to deliver them. From what dangers, seen and unseen, we have been preserved through the interposition of the angels, we shall never know, until in the light of eternity we see the providences of God. Then we shall know that the whole family of heaven was interested in the family here below, and that messengers from the throne of God attended our steps from day to day."

This is an incredible promise. That's why we can live without fear. God is always with us and whether we live or whether we die it's all in God's hands and someday it will all be made plain and we will be eternally grateful to Jesus for His amazing love for us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2021, 08:24:47 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!! Hallelujah!! The angels of God are so involved in our lives and we can praise the Lord for all He does and allows in our lives!

Happy Reformation Day! Martin Luther nailed up his 95 Theses 504 years ago! May we let the triumph of the Reformation go forward in the power of the Holy Spirit, even if many have forgotten the Bible truth that is the foundation of the Reformation, in which we can choose to trust God's word over all human tradition!

Praise the Lord for the light that Christ sheds upon our pathway! As we surrender fully to Christ and let Him lead us in His perfect will, we can make the best use of the light of the everlasting gospel and go forward in faith! All of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives without one missing as we affectionately obey God's law of love from a heart renewed by divine grace!

"Our standing before God depends, not upon the amount of light we have received, but upon the use we make of what we have. Thus even the heathen who choose the right as far as they can distinguish it are in a more favorable condition than are those who have had great light, and profess to serve God, but who disregard the light, and by their daily life contradict their profession." {The Desire of Ages, page 239, paragraph 2}

Let us not violate the light that God gives us, but apply the truth as we surrender fully to His will!

Beacon

« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »
" The minds of the Jews had become narrowed by their unreasoning bigotry."

"The lessons of Christ revealed their deficiencies of character, and demanded repentance. If they accepted His teachings, their practices must be changed, and their cherished hopes relinquished".

"In order to be honored by Heaven, they must sacrifice the honor of men."

"If they obeyed the words of this new rabbi, they must go contrary to the opinions of the great thinkers and teachers of the time. Truth was unpopular in Christ's day. It is unpopular in our day."

God message today is the same as in the days of Joshua when he said "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. What will your choice be?

Beacon

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2022, 08:55:17 PM »
"Our standing before God depends, not upon the amount of light we have received... but upon the use we make of what we have."

"Thus even the heathen who choose the right as far as they can distinguish it are in a more favorable condition than are those who have had great light, and profess to serve God, but who disregard the light, and by their daily life contradict their profession."

"Oh, how Christ longed to open to Israel the precious treasures of the truth! But such was their spiritual blindness that it was impossible to reveal to them the truths relating to His kingdom.

"They clung to their creed and their useless ceremonies when the truth of Heaven awaited their acceptance."

"They spent their money for chaff and husks, when the bread of life was within their reach.- "

Do You--Do I--Do We ...Really ''Treasure" The Wonderful Words of life contained in the Holy Scriptures?Are we Reading, Sharing & Practicing " THE GOOD NEWS "  Let " US " Today renew our commitment to Jesus to be Active,,Laboring, Laborers for Jesus. Then soon and very soon we will hear Him say....

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Matthew 25:21

Open my eyes that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.
    Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
    Spirit Divine!
Open my ears that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.
Open my mouth and let me bear
Tidings of mercy everywhere;
Open my heart and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.
Open my mind that I may read
More of Thy love in word and deed;
What shall I fear while yet Thou dost lead?
Only for light from Thee I plead.

Lyrics and Music: Clara H. Scott

Dorine

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2022, 05:14:54 AM »
"Our standing before God depends, not upon the amount of light we have received, but upon the use we make of what we have. Thus even the heathen who choose the right as far as they can distinguish it are in a more favorable condition than are those who have had great light, and profess to serve God, but who disregard the light, and by their daily life contradict their profession."

The only way to stay out of this evil ditch is to spend time daily studying the life of Christ and to answer His call to repent and surrender our lives fully to Him.  May our lives be a light to the world that will draw them to Jesus in full acceptance of Him. There is such joy in knowing Jesus and allowing Him to live His life in us. Self fades to nothing and Jesus is our meditation all the day long bringing peace to our souls.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2022, 12:12:40 PM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

What a blessing to experience such unity here in this place we share!

May we not only use the light God sends us, but diffuse it upon the pathway of others! May our hearts and minds be so knit with His that His life flows through us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

Only as we experience constant union and communion with Christ rooted in the ever-present power of His living word are we enabled to practice the truth as we yield our will to Christ in complete surrender. By beholding Christ who lived a perfect life we are drawn to Him in true repentance who has power to cleanse us from every stain of sin and make us new creatures as partakers of His divine nature.

Beacon

« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2022, 08:02:47 PM »
"The words of Jesus to His hearers in the synagogue struck at the root of their self-righteousness, pressing home upon them the bitter truth...

That they had departed from God and forfeited their claim to be His people."

"Every word cut like a knife as their real condition was set before them."

"They now scorned the faith with which Jesus had at first inspired them."

"They would not admit that He who had sprung from poverty and lowliness was other than a common man."

If we are not by faith totally surrendered to Jesus...What a huge curse is Human Pride!
May our Song and Prayer each day be...."ALL TO JESUS I SURRENDER"

===========================

All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)