Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--21--Bethesda and the Sandhedrin  (Read 16002 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--21--Bethesda and the Sandhedrin
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2020, 05:39:09 AM »

Some may say, Why is this message sounded so constantly in our ears? It is because you do not thoroughly repent.

Thank you for sharing, Sister Lena. This is so important to understand. What message? The gospel message, and for our church, God's church, the Laodicean message of rebuke and encouragement. Why the Laodicean message, because it applies to the church today. What is the response? Some would do to those who share it what Israel did to Isaiah. But, revival is coming. Jesus is pouring out clean water upon His church today. The Spirit has power to make dead dry bones live. Not all will live, many will be sifted out.

Telling someone they must obey does not work. Unless converted they cannot obey from the heart. We must learn of Jesus and by beholding His character we shall be transformed in character (2 Cor 3:18).

The Jews had the Scriptures in their possession, and supposed that in their mere outward knowledge of the word they had eternal life. But Jesus said, “Ye have not His word abiding in you.” Having rejected Christ in His word, they rejected Him in person. “Ye will not come to Me,” He said, “that ye might have life.”

The Jewish leaders had studied the teachings of the prophets concerning the kingdom of the Messiah; but they had done this, not with a sincere desire to know the truth, but with the purpose of finding evidence to sustain their ambitious hopes. When Christ came in a manner contrary to their expectations, they would not receive Him; and in order to justify themselves, they tried to prove Him a deceiver. When once they had set their feet in this path, it was easy for Satan to strengthen their opposition to Christ. The very words that should have been received as evidence of His divinity were interpreted against Him. Thus they turned the truth of God into a lie, and the more directly the Saviour spoke to them in His works of mercy, the more determined they were in resisting the light.
Jesus said, “I receive not honor from men.” It was not the influence of the Sanhedrin, it was not their sanction He desired. He could receive no honor from their approbation. He was invested with the honor and authority of Heaven. Had He desired it, angels would have come to do Him homage; the Father would again have testified to His divinity. But for their own sake, for the sake of the nation whose leaders they were, He desired the Jewish rulers to discern His character, and receive the blessings He came to bring them.

“I am come in My Father’s name, and ye receive Me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.” Jesus came by the authority of God, bearing His image, fulfilling His word, and seeking His glory; yet He was not accepted by the leaders in Israel; but when others should come, assuming the character of Christ, but actuated by their own will and seeking their own glory, they would be received. And why? Because he who is seeking his own glory appeals to the desire for self-exaltation in others. To such appeals the Jews could respond. They would receive the false teacher because he flattered their pride by sanctioning their cherished opinions and traditions. But the teaching of Christ did not coincide with their ideas. It was spiritual, and demanded the sacrifice of self; therefore they would not receive it. They were not acquainted with God, and to them His voice through Christ was the voice of a stranger.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2020, 04:49:59 AM »
By sin we have been severed from the life of God. Our souls are palsied. Of ourselves we are no more capable of living a holy life than was the impotent man capable of walking. There are many who realize their helplessness, and who long for that spiritual life which will bring them into harmony with God; they are vainly striving to obtain it. In despair they cry, “O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from this body of death?” Romans 7:24, margin. Let these desponding, struggling ones look up. The Saviour is bending over the purchase of His blood, saying with inexpressible tenderness and pity, "wilt thou be made whole?” He bids you arise in health and peace. Do not wait to feel that you are made whole. Believe His word, and it will be fulfilled. Put your will on the side of Christ. Will to serve Him, and in acting upon His word you will receive strength. Whatever may be the evil practice, the master passion which through long indulgence binds both soul and body, Christ is able and longs to deliver. He will impart life to the soul that is “dead in trespasses.” Ephesians 2:1. He will set free the captive that is held by weakness and misfortune and the chains of sin.

These are the most precious words to the person that does not know the peace of God. Christ wants us to follow in His footsteps ministering to the lost. The harvest field is ripe but the workers are asleep. May we be constantly awake to the heart cry of those who are searching for the sweet hopeful words of Jesus...."wilt thou be made whole?”
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2020, 05:22:47 AM »
“I am come in My Father’s name, and ye receive Me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.” Jesus came by the authority of God, bearing His image, fulfilling His word, and seeking His glory; yet He was not accepted by the leaders in Israel; but when others should come, assuming the character of Christ, but actuated by their own will and seeking their own glory, they would be received. And why?...

Because he who is seeking his own glory appeals to the desire for self-exaltation in others. To such appeals the Jews could respond. They would receive the false teacher because he flattered their pride by sanctioning their cherished opinions and traditions. But the teaching of Christ did not coincide with their ideas. It was spiritual, and demanded the sacrifice of self; therefore they would not receive it. They were not acquainted with God, and to them His voice through Christ was the voice of a stranger."[/b]

If we are not spending time with Jesus on a daily basis through the reading of His Word and through Prayer surrendering our Will to Him...

Are we not in the same danger of rejecting the Truth of His Word?

Let us determine each day to pray... " All to Jesus  I surrender - All to Him I freely give."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2020, 09:47:13 PM »
Hey man sister Doreen and brother Beacon! I so much appreciate Paul's writings in Romans 7 and 8. Here we find in today's reading a quote from the next to last verse in Romans 7. Many have been taught and teach that Romans 7 is the Christian experience. But, in this chapter of Desire of Ages we find that Paul was speaking of a time when he was captive to the law of sin and death, prior to his conversion on the road to Damascus. "O wretched Man that I am who will deliver me from the body of this death?"
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2020, 06:08:14 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

Let us realize there are only two paths in life--the path of eternal life and the path of eternal death. "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore" (Psalm 16:11). There are many ways to walk the path of eternal death. Satan tries to make it look fun and inviting with lots of distractions and delusions, but in the end, it leads to death--separation from God and His infinite plan of blessing for the life He created. But as we yield the will to Christ because we are drawn by His loveliness of character, we see that He has a plan for our lives that exceeds our highest expectations! He renews our hearts and minds with His selflessness and imbues us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing! Then duty becomes a delight, and sacrifice a pleasure! Let us allow God to chart our destiny, and praise Him as our Provider, for all the things needful for this life and the life to come are already ours in Christ!!

"The words of Christ teach that we should regard ourselves as inseparably bound to our Father in heaven. Whatever our position, we are dependent upon God, who holds all destinies in His hands. He has appointed us our work, and has endowed us with faculties and means for that work. So long as we surrender the will to God, and trust in His strength and wisdom, we shall be guided in safe paths, to fulfill our appointed part in His great plan. But the one who depends upon his own wisdom and power is separating himself from God. Instead of working in unison with Christ, he is fulfilling the purpose of the enemy of God and man." {The Desire of Ages, page 209, paragraph 2}

Dependence upon God is our real condition, and when we appreciate all He is to us and all He does for us, we may gladly be "ALL IN" for Him. Would you like to yield completely to Christ today? If so, you may rejoice in His purpose being fulfilled in and through you! What a blessing!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2020, 04:08:23 AM »
Happy Sabbath! Let us choose God's way for us today!

The people in our fallen world are trying so many ways to do things apart from God's will. It is quite an experiment. But it is not leading to genuine happiness. We find true, genuine and consistent happiness in union and communion with Christ who has the power to convert the heart and fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Let us choose what Jesus chose--conformity to God's will!!

"But the Son of God was surrendered to the Father’s will, and dependent upon His power. So utterly was Christ emptied of self that He made no plans for Himself. He accepted God’s plans for Him, and day by day the Father unfolded His plans. So should we depend upon God, that our lives may be the simple outworking of His will." {The Desire of Ages, page 208, paragraph 2}

As we do God's will, our lives will continually reflect more and more of the loveliness of Jesus' character, for by beholding we become changed!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2020, 05:01:43 AM »
"The Jewish leaders had studied the teachings of the prophets concerning the kingdom of the Messiah; but they had done this, not with a sincere desire to know the truth, but with the purpose of finding evidence to sustain their ambitious hopes. When Christ came in a manner contrary to their expectations, they would not receive Him; and in order to justify themselves, they tried to prove Him a deceiver. When once they had set their feet in this path, it was easy for Satan to strengthen their opposition to Christ. The very words that should have been received as evidence of His divinity were interpreted against Him. Thus they turned the truth of God into a lie, and the more directly the Saviour spoke to them in His works of mercy, the more determined they were in resisting the light."

The ugliness of evil is seen in the treatment of Jesus when in His love and mercy He was trying to win the hearts of the Jewish leaders. How He loved them. The world needs to see this same love in us even though they may hate us and are determined to do us harm.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2020, 08:05:28 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine.  When we are mistreated, it is a most wonderful opportunity to show the heathen that there is a great difference between those who love God and those who do not.

Pastor Sean and I chose the same statement to share this Sabbath morning.

“The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He seeth the Father do.” The priests and rabbis were taking the Son of God to task for the very work He had been sent into the world to do. By their sins they had separated themselves from God, and in their pride were moving independently of Him. They felt sufficient in themselves for all things, and realized no need of a higher wisdom to direct their acts. But the Son of God was surrendered to the Father’s will, and dependent upon His power. So utterly was Christ emptied of self that He made no plans for Himself. He accepted God’s plans for Him, and day by day the Father unfolded His plans. So should we depend upon God, that our lives may be the simple outworking of His will.

We surely do make plans for our future, but Jesus did not. Do we ask God  daily and moment by moment what we ought to do?  I find that difficulties I face daily are opportunities to remember to ask Jesus for direction as to what to do. When I fail to do this, I am rebuked. I know now better than ever before, I must maintain my connection with Christ in order to bring honor and glory to Him and to have that peace that passes all understanding. Let us be faithful witnesses for God on this Sabbath Day.

Beacon

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2020, 11:58:23 AM »
The Jewish leaders had studied the teachings of the prophets concerning the kingdom of the Messiah; but they had done this, not with a sincere desire to know the truth, but with the purpose of finding evidence to sustain their ambitious hopes. When Christ came in a manner contrary to their expectations, they would not receive Him; and in order to justify themselves, they tried to prove Him a deceiver. When once they had set their feet in this path, it was easy for Satan to strengthen their opposition to Christ..

The very words that should have been received as evidence of His divinity were interpreted against Him.

Thus they turned the truth of God into a lie, and the more directly the Saviour spoke to them in His works of mercy, the more determined they were in resisting the light.[/b]

We would "ALL" do well to examine our "motives" Are we more concerned with "SELF EXALTATION" than the EXALTATION OF JESUS? 
Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2021, 03:49:43 AM »
Let God choose for you! When we learn of our Heavenly Father as did Christ, we shall delight to trust Him and follow the specific plan He has for our lives to fulfill the specific purpose for which He created us! There is no greater joy than being in the center of God's will on a moment-by-moment basis! Beholding the loveliness of Jesus' character, yielding the whole heart to Him so He can cleanse us by His blood and imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, we shall affectionately obey the law of God with an increasing appreciation of His character of selfless love!

"Israel had chosen their own ways. They had not builded according to the pattern; but Christ, the true temple for God’s indwelling, molded every detail of His earthly life in harmony with God’s ideal. He said, 'I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart.' Psalm 40:8. So our characters are to be builded 'for an habitation of God through the Spirit.' Ephesians 2:22. And we are to 'make all things according to the pattern,' even Him who 'suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps.' Hebrews 8:5; 1 Peter 2:21." {The Desire of Ages, page 209, paragraph 1}

To suffer for the sake of Christ and have fellowship with Him in His sufferings is truly the most weighty trust and the highest honor that God can give us this side of heaven. Let us learn of Christ and be in an abiding union and communion with Him today so His purposes may be accomplished in our lives!

Philip T

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2021, 06:08:08 AM »
Jesus repelled the charge of blasphemy. My authority, He said, for doing the work of which you accuse Me, is that I am the Son of God, one with Him in nature, in will, and in purpose. In all His works of creation and providence, I co-operate with God. “The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He seeth the Father do.” The priests and rabbis were taking the Son of God to task for the very work He had been sent into the world to do. By their sins they had separated themselves from God, and in their pride were moving independently of Him. They felt sufficient in themselves for all things, and realized no need of a higher wisdom to direct their acts. But the Son of God was surrendered to the Father’s will, and dependent upon His power. So utterly was Christ emptied of self that He made no plans for Himself. He accepted God’s plans for Him, and day by day the Father unfolded His plans. So should we depend upon God, that our lives may be the simple outworking of His will.

This is a profound statement. Jesus is our example, He was so surrendered of self, that the Father's will was His will, He did only what His Father asked him to do, allowing this direction to lead every step Jesus took to accomplish His work here on earth. He requires no less of us to finish His work here on earth. Are we willing to let go of self to this degree? This is the question that is put before us every day.  We be surrendered to Jesus and the Father to the point we here the Still Small voice of the Holy Spirit directing our lives

Dorine

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2021, 06:30:58 AM »
...."But the Son of God was surrendered to the Father’s will, and dependent upon His power. So utterly was Christ emptied of self that He made no plans for Himself. He accepted God’s plans for Him, and day by day the Father unfolded His plans. So should we depend upon God, that our lives may be the simple outworking of His will."

Here is the answer to living a life of freedom in Jesus. I give my will to Him and He cleanses me and gives me the power to live a life free from sin as I continually abide in Him. It's a power that comes from outside of me, not from within. Then my will, will actually be His will and He will direct my goings and comings through the day. Such a blessed relationship.

Beacon

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2021, 08:44:04 AM »
"The priests and rabbis were taking the Son of God to task for the very work He had been sent into the world to do. By their sins they had separated themselves from God, and in their pride were moving independently of Him.

..They felt sufficient in themselves for all things, and realized no need of a higher wisdom to direct their acts..

..But the Son of God was surrendered to the Father’s will, and dependent upon His power. So utterly was Christ emptied of self that He made no plans for Himself. He accepted God’s plans for Him, and day by day the Father unfolded His plans..

"So should we depend upon God, that our lives may be the simple outworking of His will."

Beacon

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2021, 09:01:13 PM »
"The words of Christ teach that we should regard ourselves as inseparably bound to our Father in heaven. Whatever our position, we are dependent upon God, who holds all destinies in His hands.

"He has appointed us our work, and has endowed us with faculties and means for that work."

"So long as we surrender the will to God, and trust in His strength and wisdom, we shall be guided in safe paths, to fulfill our appointed part in His great plan. But the one who depends upon his own wisdom and power is separating himself from God. Instead of working in unison with Christ, he is fulfilling the purpose of the enemy of God and man."

May our prayer today be as in the words of this song...

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/445

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2021, 05:37:35 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Let us stay connected to Jesus continually! The only way that can happen is if we keep our eyes fixed on Jesus and surrender FULLY to Him! Then He will live out His life in us and manifest through us all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"The words of Christ teach that we should regard ourselves as inseparably bound to our Father in heaven. Whatever our position, we are dependent upon God, who holds all destinies in His hands. He has appointed us our work, and has endowed us with faculties and means for that work. So long as we surrender the will to God, and trust in His strength and wisdom, we shall be guided in safe paths, to fulfill our appointed part in His great plan. But the one who depends upon his own wisdom and power is separating himself from God. Instead of working in unison with Christ, he is fulfilling the purpose of the enemy of God and man." {The Desire of Ages, page 209, paragraph 2}

May God's will alone be done in our lives! Look to Jesus and live and be in constant union and communion with Him! Rejoice that He is willing to live out His life in and through you!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2021, 11:59:31 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon!! God holds our destiny in His hands! What better could that be!  Do you often understand what God does for you. I do. It is amazing that He cares so very much! But, there are some who no matter what, they will reject His love and that still small voice even when it is pressed home.

The rulers themselves had felt deep condemnation as He had pressed their guilt home upon their consciences; yet this only made them the more bitter against Him. They were determined to take His life. They sent messengers all over the country to warn the people against Jesus as an impostor. Spies were sent to watch Him, and report what He said and did. The precious Saviour was now most surely standing under the shadow of the cross.

Beacon

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »
"The words of Christ teach that we should regard ourselves as inseparably bound to our Father in heaven."

"Whatever our position, we are dependent upon God, who holds all destinies in His hands. He has appointed us our work, and has endowed us with faculties and means for that work. So long as we surrender the will to God, and trust in His strength and wisdom, we shall be guided in safe paths, to fulfill our appointed part in His great plan.

"But the one who depends upon his own wisdom and power is separating himself from God. Instead of working in unison with Christ, he is fulfilling the purpose of the enemy of God and man."

Who will we choose to follow and obey - The choice is ours and that choice will determine our eternal destiny. Today, Jesus through His word says to us...

"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
Joshua 24:15

Dorine

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2021, 06:39:46 AM »
.....By sin we have been severed from the life of God. Our souls are palsied. Of ourselves we are no more capable of living a holy life than was the impotent man capable of walking. There are many who realize their helplessness, and who long for that spiritual life which will bring them into harmony with God; they are vainly striving to obtain it. In despair they cry, “O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from this body of death?” Romans 7:24, margin. Let these desponding, struggling ones look up. The Saviour is bending over the purchase of His blood, saying with inexpressible tenderness and pity, “Wilt thou be made whole?” He bids you arise in health and peace. Do not wait to feel that you are made whole. Believe His word, and it will be fulfilled. Put your will on the side of Christ. Will to serve Him, and in acting upon His word you will receive strength. Whatever may be the evil practice, the master passion which through long indulgence binds both soul and body, Christ is able and longs to deliver. He will impart life to the soul that is “dead in trespasses.” Ephesians 2:1. He will set free the captive that is held by weakness and misfortune and the chains of sin.

If anyone is feeling they are too sinful for God to answer their cry for help, read these words over and over. Believe what He says and give your heart fully to Him. Do not give up. God will answer your prayer and bring joy and peace to your heart with the assurance of sins forgiven and a hope of eternal salvation. There is no one too evil for God to forgive and cleanse. The only sin God can not forgive is the sin that we refuse to repent of.

Philip T

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2021, 10:04:33 AM »
Jesus repelled the charge of blasphemy. My authority, He said, for doing the work of which you accuse Me, is that I am the Son of God, one with Him in nature, in will, and in purpose. In all His works of creation and providence, I co-operate with God. “The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He seeth the Father do.” The priests and rabbis were taking the Son of God to task for the very work He had been sent into the world to do. By their sins they had separated themselves from God, and in their pride were moving independently of Him. They felt sufficient in themselves for all things, and realized no need of a higher wisdom to direct their acts. But the Son of God was surrendered to the Father’s will, and dependent upon His power. So utterly was Christ emptied of self that He made no plans for Himself. He accepted God’s plans for Him, and day by day the Father unfolded His plans. So should we depend upon God, that our lives may be the simple outworking of His will.[/b]

What a powerful statement, Jesus was so surrendered to His Fathers will and dependent on his power. to the point of complete surrender He made no plans, He accepted God's plans for Himself, just doing day by day what His Father wanted. If his followers would live life this way, the Holy Spirit would work powerfully in the church today. Do we listen to that still small voice before doing what we think is God's work if not are we truly doing God's work? 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2021, 09:27:18 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, and Brother Philip!

Let us choose God's ways! They are best!

Israel had chosen their own ways. They had not builded according to the pattern; but Christ, the true temple for God’s indwelling, molded every detail of His earthly life in harmony with God’s ideal. He said, “I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart.” Psalm 40:8. So our characters are to be builded “for an habitation of God through the Spirit.” Ephesians 2:22. And we are to “make all things according to the pattern,” even Him who “suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps.” Hebrews 8:5; 1 Peter 2:21.

Jesus will guide us if we are willing to be made willing to become like Him in mind and character as by the Holy Spirit abiding in us He will reveal the loveliness of His attributes--the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Gladly we may obey God from a heart renewed by divine grace!