Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--20--Except Ye See Signs and Wonders  (Read 13892 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--20--Except Ye See Signs and Wonders
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2021, 07:47:49 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, Brother Richard and Brother Philip!

What a blessing to see the same powerful truth in so many of our posts today! We need Jesus to have a true conversion experience and feel our deep need of Him on a moment-by-moment basis to abide in Christ to do His will! Let us be converted by beholding the loveliness of Jesus' character so that we may seek Him from a selfless reason when it is the Holy Spirit inspiring our prayers!

"He who blessed the nobleman at Capernaum is just as desirous of blessing us. But like the afflicted father, we are often led to seek Jesus by the desire for some earthly good; and upon the granting of our request we rest our confidence in His love. The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him. Confessing our helplessness and bitter need, we are to trust ourselves wholly to His love." {The Desire of Ages, page 200, paragraph 3}

Let us rely implicit on Jesus to do His holy will! He loves us and wants us to grow more like Jesus so we can overcome in Him, letting Jesus convert our hearts so fully that we are filled with all of the selfless fruits of the Spirit without one missing--love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance! Then we can obey God from love because we are one with God in mind and character!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2021, 05:39:41 AM »
The nobleman left the Saviour's presence with a peace and joy he had never known before. Not only did he believe that his son would be restored, but with strong confidence he trusted in Christ as the Redeemer."

"The nobleman longed to know more of Christ. As he afterward heard His teaching, he and all his household became disciples.

Their affliction was sanctified to the conversion of the entire family.

"Tidings of the miracle spread; and in Capernaum, where so many of His mighty works were performed,

"The way was prepared for Christ's personal ministry."

"When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most."

"When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered."

"God will do for us "exceeding abundantly," "according to the riches of His glory," and "the working of His mighty power." Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19."

I like the words of the song that says,"Trust and Obey", For there’s no other way To be happy in Jesus, But to trust and obey."

"He who blessed the nobleman at Capernaum is just as desirous of blessing us."

"But like the afflicted father, we are often led to seek Jesus by the desire for some earthly good; and upon the granting of our request we rest our confidence in His love. The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him. Confessing our helplessness and bitter need, we are to trust ourselves wholly to His love."

Let us determine to renew our Faith and Trust and Go Forward in His Service knowing that His Hand is ever over us guiding to life eternal.

Psalm 23
King James Version

1. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2021, 06:46:17 AM »
   "He who blessed the nobleman at Capernaum is just as desirous of blessing us. But like the afflicted father, we are often led to seek Jesus by the desire for some earthly good; and upon the granting of our request we rest our confidence in His love. The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him. Confessing our helplessness and bitter need, we are to trust ourselves wholly to His love."

What a blessing to read this chapter this morning. It answers so many questions and reveals the deep love God has for His children. Many see God as restrictive and question His authority for they feel they know better than He does in matters concerning themselves and how He deals with humanity. But those that know Jesus see by faith His works of love for each of us. Even when we are running from Him He is still pursuing us for He longs for our happiness and that only happens when we have surrendered all to Him and accept Him as our personal Saviour.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2021, 07:44:18 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

Let us expect God to do what He longs to do as we surrender our WHOLE heart to Jesus to cleanse it from ALL selfishness and allow Him to atone for our sins by His blood and fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! There is no limit to what God can do in our lives when we are truly converted, for we are set for "signs and for wonders" (Isaiah 8:16) as true, converted witnesses of what grace can do in transforming sinners into saints!!

"The nobleman wanted to see the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted. This lesson we also have to learn. Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe. We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most. When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. God will do for us 'exceeding abundantly,' 'according to the riches of His glory,' and 'the working of His mighty power.' Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19." {The Desire of Ages, page 200, paragraph 4} 

Let God plan for you! Let Him lead you in His perfect will and keep you in His plan. Let us believe that God hears our prayers because of His promises, not to test whether He will fulfill them!! He loves us and is to wise to err, and too good to withhold any good thing from them that walk uprightly!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Philip T

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2021, 08:20:24 AM »
    Like a flash of light, the Saviour's words to the nobleman laid bare his heart. He saw that his motives in seeking Jesus were selfish. His vacillating faith appeared to him in its true character. In deep distress he realized that his doubt might cost the life of his son. He knew that he was in the presence of One who could read the thoughts, and to whom all things were possible. In an agony of supplication he cried, "Sir, come down ere my child die." His faith took hold upon Christ as did Jacob, when, wrestling with the Angel, he cried, "I will not let Thee go, except Thou bless me." Genesis 32:26.
     Like Jacob he prevailed. The Saviour cannot withdraw from the soul that clings to Him, pleading its great need.
"Go thy way," He said; "thy son liveth." The nobleman left the Saviour's presence with a peace and joy he had never known before. Not only did he believe that his son would be restored, but with strong confidence he trusted in Christ as the Redeemer.

Jesus words laid bare the Nobleman's heart to him, he saw they were selfish,  and as he struggled with these thoughts he realized his own doubt may cost him the life of his son. In much pain and struggle he surrendered all of this to Jesus, and clung to Him in faith. It is only through faith in Jesus that we find salvation and life.  The Nobleman clung to this faith as Jacob did while wrestling with Jesus on his return to meet his brother Esaul  and so we must surrender our doubts and fears to Jesus claiming in faith the pormises of God, this is the only way to Salvation, and like the nobleman surrender tthem completely to Jesus, then Jesus will care for our needs.   

Beacon

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2021, 06:00:08 AM »
"Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe."

"We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. "Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most."

God will do for us 'exceeding abundantly,' 'according to the riches of His glory,' and 'the working of His mighty power.' Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19."

"The nobleman longed to know more of Christ. As he afterward heard His teaching, he and all his household became disciples.

Oh how slow are we to learn and trust in the great promises of Jesus. How many times might we have had peace and rest. It reminds me of this song.which I hope will be your prayer also.

Come, every soul by sin oppressed,
  There’s mercy with the Lord;
And He will surely give you rest
  By trusting in His Word.
    Only trust Him! Only trust Him!
  Only trust Him now!
He will save you! He will save you!
    He will save you now!
For Jesus shed His precious blood
  Rich blessings to bestow;
Plunge now into the crimson flood
  That washeth white as snow.
Yes, Jesus is the Truth, the Way,
  That leads you into rest;
Believe in Him without delay,
  And you are fully blest.
Come then, and join the holy band,
  And on to glory go;
In Christ’s redemption take your stand,
  And all His goodness know

Philip T

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2021, 08:11:22 AM »
  He who blessed the nobleman at Capernaum is just as desirous of blessing us. But like the afflicted father, we are often led to seek Jesus by the desire for some earthly good; and upon the granting of our request we rest our confidence in His love. The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him. Confessing our helplessness and bitter need, we are to trust ourselves wholly to His love.

Jesus wishes to bless us as he did the nobleman, however, we often ask for things of this world we want with a selfish objective, placing a roadblock in the process, we need to have humble hearts when requesting of God, we must believe God will grant his promises. Hold fast to our faith that God will pour out his blessing. We need to enter ourselves of all that is of this world, surrendering them to God.  I think wee need to weigh out our request carefully, realizing it is a need not as selfish want.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2021, 10:08:15 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip!!

Praise God constantly!! Let Jesus be all in all to you!

The nobleman wanted to see the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted. This lesson we also have to learn. Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe. We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most. When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. God will do for us "exceeding abundantly," "according to the riches of His glory," and "the working of His mighty power." Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19.

Let us look constantly to Him and allow Him to fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! No good thing will He withhold from those who walk in the center of His will!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2021, 08:47:28 PM »
It has been my desire to help those seeking to understand truth, what it means to be converted and how it happens. With the multiple gospels being taught in the church, many have been deceived thinking they are converted and have eternal life when they do not. But, even if one comes to understand the message from Jesus in Revelation three to the Laodiceans, as to many being in a lost condition, that does not solve the problem of how to be saved. The answer is given in that message and I like what Jesus said to Nicodemas. He did not leave him lost without telling him that when bitten by sin, we must look to live.

In today's reading we find some help in understanding how one is converted. If one is born in need of experiencing the new birth in order to be saved, then until one is converted he is selfish and can do no good thing that is not motivated by selfishness. So, then how can one come to Jesus if not for a selfish reason? Why would one take time to learn of Him if not for a selfish reason? Can one do things being selfish that will be of help to the sinner? Absolutely. Following the health message so one would be healthy is out of concern for self, but is good. So it is with coming to Jesus for a selfish reason, it is good even if selfish. We must learn of Him before we can trust Him with all we are and all we have.

Yet the nobleman had a degree of faith; for he had come to ask what seemed to him the most precious of all blessings. Jesus had a greater gift to bestow. He desired, not only to heal the child, but to make the officer and his household sharers in the blessings of salvation, and to kindle a light in Capernaum, which was so soon to be the field of His own labors. But the nobleman must realize his need before he would desire the grace of Christ.

What is a "degree" of faith?  To each is given a "measure" of faith. "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think [of himself] more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." Romans 12:3. This is not "saving faith." It is faith enough to believe that there is a God and He wants to help us. Thus, the sinner when hope is lost and all human help fails, still has a degree of faith to believe there is a God who can help. There are no atheists in foxholes when the bombs are falling all around him. Do we see our need when all else is lost and we recognize our weakness and our sins that have separated us from God? Our all knowing and wise God has provided a remedy for all who will come to Him seeking to know Him.

This courtier represented many of his nation. They were interested in Jesus from selfish motives. They hoped to receive some special benefit through His power, and they staked their faith on the granting of this temporal favor; but they were ignorant as to their spiritual disease, and saw not their need of divine grace.   
     Like a flash of light, the Saviour's words to the nobleman laid bare his heart. He saw that his motives in seeking Jesus were selfish. His vacillating faith appeared to him in its true character. In deep distress he realized that his doubt might cost the life of his son. He knew that he was in the presence of One who could read the thoughts, and to whom all things were possible. In an agony of supplication he cried, "Sir, come down ere my child die." His faith took hold upon Christ as did Jacob, when, wrestling with the Angel, he cried, "I will not let Thee go, except Thou bless me." Genesis 32:26.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2021, 06:04:31 AM »
.....The Saviour cannot withdraw from the soul that clings to Him, pleading its great need. "Go thy way," He said; "thy son liveth." The nobleman left the Saviour's presence with a peace and joy he had never known before. Not only did he believe that his son would be restored, but with strong confidence he trusted in Christ as the Redeemer.  

..... Cana was not so far from Capernaum but that the officer might have reached his home on the evening after his interview with Jesus; but he did not hasten on the homeward journey. It was not until the next morning that he reached Capernaum. What a homecoming was that! When he went to find Jesus, his heart was heavy with sorrow. The sunshine seemed cruel to him, the songs of the birds a mockery. How different his feelings now! All nature wears a new aspect. He sees with new eyes. As he journeys in the quiet of the early morning, all nature seems to be praising God with him. While he is still some distance from his own dwelling, servants come out to meet him, anxious to relieve the suspense they are sure he must feel. He shows no surprise at the news they bring,......

It would be profitable to go back over the posts and read the comments. Our God is a God of loving, tender grace that longs to wake us up to our great need of Him. So many times He has to let us get into dire straights to help us realize that without Him we can do nothing.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2021, 06:23:47 AM »
You are known and understood. Jesus cares and has a plan to save you, and even the trials of life He can sanctify to the conversion of souls! Let us yield fully to Jesus so the Holy Spirit can freely work through us moment-by-moment in manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"The nobleman longed to know more of Christ. As he afterward heard His teaching, he and all his household became disciples. Their affliction was sanctified to the conversion of the entire family. Tidings of the miracle spread; and in Capernaum, where so many of His mighty works were performed, the way was prepared for Christ's personal ministry." {The Desire of Ages, page 200, paragraph 2}

Jesus makes a way each day for us to bring all we have and are to Him so that whatever we are facing, His grace is sufficient for the day that we may believe fully in Him and obey Him with a heart that is renewed by the Holy Spirit!

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2021, 06:53:03 AM »
"Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe. We are to trust in His promises."

"When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it."

"Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most."

"When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. God will do for us "exceeding abundantly," "according to the riches of His glory," and "the working of His mighty power." Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19

My heart felt plea this morning is that you and I may learn to trust Jesus at the same level of faith as told in this brief narrative because we know that just ahead of us there is foretold a Great Time of Trouble and our faith will be tested to a level never before experienced. Unless we preparing NOW there will be a strong possibility we will give in to the pressure of the enemy. Let us seek the Lord today while He may yet be found. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2021, 08:24:12 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon. By faith we shall be prepared for what is just in front of us. Today many are facing strong tests whether or not they will yield up their convictions to the  state demands. A little taste of what is coming. The whole of society is condemning those who will not yield up their beliefs.

This morning I was blessed to see inspiration explaining how it is that many come to Jesus when still selfish. None come to Jesus before conversion unselfish. Thus, we can better understand that when involved in evangelism of the lost, they are selfish, but there are reasons why they will want to learn of Jesus.

Yet the nobleman had a degree of faith; for he had come to ask what seemed to him the most precious of all blessings. Jesus had a greater gift to bestow. He desired, not only to heal the child, but to make the officer and his household sharers in the blessings of salvation, and to kindle a light in Capernaum, which was so soon to be the field of His own labors. But the nobleman must realize his need before he would desire the grace of Christ. This courtier represented many of his nation. They were interested in Jesus from selfish motives. They hoped to receive some special benefit through His power, and they staked their faith on the granting of this temporal favor; but they were ignorant as to their spiritual disease, and saw not their need of divine grace.   

We must see our need before we will seek grace from God. Thus, the law reveals our condemnation as Paul pointed out in Romans 7. When the commandment came sin revived and he died. He did not die physically, but he saw he was dead spiritually. That which was ordained to life, he found to be unto His spiritual death. It took him awhile to find the One who could save him from himself. His  prayer finally when all else failed was "O wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from this body of death?" Soon thereafter he got the answer to his prayer when he met Jesus on the road to Damascus.

The Laodicean does not see his need of grace. He  must first see he is condemned, then he will buy of Jesus gold tried in the fire and white raiment, and eye salve.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2022, 08:36:20 PM »
"We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God."

"When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it."

"Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most."

I want that kind of faith - Don't You?  HAPPY SABBATH

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His word;
Just to rest upon His promise;
Just to know, Thus saith the Lord.
    Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him,
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er,
Jesus, Jesus, Precious Jesus!
  O for grace to trust Him more.
O how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
Just in simple faith to plunge me,
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood.
Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life, and rest, and joy, and peace.
I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.

Lyrics:Louisa M. R. Stead (circa 1850-1917)
Music:William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2022, 07:22:04 AM »
Romans seven explains what happens when we see we are evil by nature and can do no good thing for the right reason. It is good to come to Jesus even when we are selfish. After all, if we could not come to Jesus selfish, then how could we be saved? So, we need to see our need of divine help in order to be transformed from sinner to saint. If we want to be loving and kind for unselfish reasons, then we need to be born again of the Spirit. As Paul explained in Romans seven, when he saw the law of God reaches to the intent of the heart, not just outward actions, he saw himself condemned, a captive to the law of sin that was in his members. So it was with the nobleman. He approached Jesus with a selfish desire, but he realized his son would not be healed unless he trusted in Jesus first. He saw that his selfishness would cause the death of his son.

Yet the nobleman had a degree of faith; for he had come to ask what seemed to him the most precious of all blessings. Jesus had a greater gift to bestow. He desired, not only to heal the child, but to make the officer and his household sharers in the blessings of salvation, and to kindle a light in Capernaum, which was so soon to be the field of His own labors. But the nobleman must realize his need before he would desire the grace of Christ. This courtier represented many of his nation. They were interested in Jesus from selfish motives. They hoped to receive some special benefit through His power, and they staked their faith on the granting of this temporal favor; but they were ignorant as to their spiritual disease, and saw not their need of divine grace. 
     Like Jacob he prevailed. The Saviour cannot withdraw from the soul that clings to Him, pleading its great need. "Go thy way," He said; "thy son liveth." The nobleman left the Saviour's presence with a peace and joy he had never known before. Not only did he believe that his son would be restored, but with strong confidence he trusted in Christ as the Redeemer.   

Also in today's reading we find the source of power that transforms sinners into saints, grace. It was God's grace that transformed the nobleman. He had a degree of faith, but it was the grace of God that imparted to Him, saving grace. In closing today's reading we find the lesson being repeated so that we might better understand our great need and His great grace being offered all who will come to Him seeking help.

He who blessed the nobleman at Capernaum is just as desirous of blessing us. But like the afflicted father, we are often led to seek Jesus by the desire for some earthly good; and upon the granting of our request we rest our confidence in His love. The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him. Confessing our helplessness and bitter need, we are to trust ourselves wholly to His love.
     The nobleman wanted to see the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted. This lesson we also have to learn. Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe. We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most. When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. God will do for us "exceeding abundantly," "according to the riches of His glory," and "the working of His mighty power." Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19.

Beacon

« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2022, 08:01:54 PM »
"The nobleman wanted to see the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted."

"This lesson we also have to learn."

"Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe."

"We are to trust in His promises."

"When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it."

"When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. "

"God will do for us "exceeding abundantly," "according to the riches of His glory," and "the working of His mighty power." Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19."

Jesus said it...& I believe It--- but am I practicing it?? How About " You "

=====================

"Come, every soul by sin oppressed,
  There’s mercy with the Lord;
And He will surely give you rest
  By trusting in His Word.
    Only trust Him! Only trust Him!
  Only trust Him now!
He will save you! He will save you!
    He will save you now!
For Jesus shed His precious blood
  Rich blessings to bestow;
Plunge now into the crimson flood
  That washeth white as snow.
Yes, Jesus is the Truth, the Way,
  That leads you into rest;
Believe in Him without delay,
  And you are fully blest.
Come then, and join the holy band,
  And on to glory go;
In Christ’s redemption take your stand,
  And all His goodness know."

Lyrics & Music by John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)

Dorine

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2022, 06:32:38 AM »
"Like a flash of light, the Saviour's words to the nobleman laid bare his heart. He saw that his motives in seeking Jesus were selfish. His vacillating faith appeared to him in its true character. In deep distress he realized that his doubt might cost the life of his son. He knew that he was in the presence of One who could read the thoughts, and to whom all things were possible. In an agony of supplication he cried, "Sir, come down ere my child die." His faith took hold upon Christ as did Jacob, when, wrestling with the Angel, he cried, "I will not let Thee go, except Thou bless me." Genesis 32:26.

It's interesting to me how some recognized Christ's divinity and were humbled by it and became followers of Him; yet sadly others were so full of pride and doubt that even though Christ read their thoughts and they witnessed His miracles they were only moved further away from Him. All it takes is a simple choice; acknowledging faith in Jesus and acceptance of Him in their lives to move them toward Christ. Every day we must make that choice to maintain that living connection with Christ. When we do the world will know and be influenced to accept and trust Him also.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2022, 08:43:58 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

Selfishness is a real problem. But only the grace of Christ can cure it! When our first parents Adam and Eve sinned in the garden of Eden, selfishness took the place of love, and separation from God and disunion in their relationship with one another was the sure result! But God in His great mercy offers us "enmity" (Genesis 3:15) against sin, Satan, and our fallen nature by His divine grace, and He wisely works to lead us to see our need of that grace.

Such was the experience of the afflicted father whose son he desired Jesus to heal. Staking his faith in Christ as the Messiah upon the granting of the request of his son's healing was selfish and conditional, and Jesus in His love and mercy desired to lead the father to a saving faith experience, offering him a new heart and mind in true conversion whereby the father could trust Christ regardless of the outcome of his son's health. When we learn to trust God "no matter what" and rely on His promises from the selfless love He reveals to us (grace), then we are truly free to go about our work in humble confidence that the blessing we need will be realized when we need it most--in God's timing!

May you learn to trust God fully and rely on Christ, not depending on your feelings or circumstances, but accepting His grace to convert your heart with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as Christ living in you, the hope of glory, empowers you to obey Him out of love!

"He who blessed the nobleman at Capernaum is just as desirous of blessing us. But like the afflicted father, we are often led to seek Jesus by the desire for some earthly good; and upon the granting of our request we rest our confidence in His love. The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him. Confessing our helplessness and bitter need, we are to trust ourselves wholly to His love."{The Desire of Ages, page 200, paragraph 3}

What a blessing that the father DID surrender fully to Christ as the Messiah and trusted His ability to heal his son, at the same hour in which his faith took hold upon Christ! When Jesus has the whole heart, we can rejoice in Him in all of our circumstances, because we know that "all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28). In that sense, the converted Christian is having a good time all the time, because of such a paradigm of trust and faith in God's overruling providence! May you see the truth of this by grace through faith each day!

Beacon

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2022, 08:16:51 PM »
"The Saviour longs to give us a Greater Blessing than we ask.

"He Delays the answer to our request that He may Show us the Evil of Our Own Hearts."

"And our Deep Need of His Grace."

"He Desires Us to Renounce the Selfishness that leads Us to Seek Him."

"Confessing our Helplessness and Bitter Need."

"We are to Trust Ourselves Wholly to His Love."

May "OUR" prayer always be...."Draw Me Nearer Still Nearer Lord to thy side.

==========================

"All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
All to Jesus I surrender,
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name! "

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Dorine

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2022, 05:02:21 AM »
"The nobleman wanted to see the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted. This lesson we also have to learn. Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe. We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most. When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. God will do for us "exceeding abundantly," "according to the riches of His glory," and "the working of His mighty power." Ephesians 3:20, 16; 1:19.

Faith is a powerful and essential means that God uses to work in our lives to bring us into oneness with Him. Just like the father whose whole outlook on life changed from gloomy doubts into complete trust in Jesus. Doubts imprison you while faith and trust in God brings freedom of mind and spirit and God will pour out abundant blessings beyond our expectation. We serve a marvelous, gracious Saviour.