Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--18--"He Must Increase"  (Read 17658 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
The Desire of Ages--18--"He Must Increase"
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »
Chap. 18 - "He Must Increase"

Listen to   "He Must Increase" 

For a time the Baptist's influence over the nation had been greater than that of its rulers, priests, or princes. If he had announced himself as the Messiah, and raised a revolt against Rome, priests and people would have flocked to his standard. Every consideration that appeals to the ambition of the world's conquerors Satan had stood ready to urge upon John the Baptist. But with the evidence before him of his power, he had steadfastly refused the splendid bribe. The attention which was fixed upon him he had directed to Another.
     Now he saw the tide of popularity turning away from himself to the Saviour. Day by day the crowds about him lessened. When Jesus came from Jerusalem to the region about Jordan, the people flocked to hear Him. The number of His disciples increased daily. Many came for baptism, and while Christ Himself did not baptize, He sanctioned the administration of the ordinance by His disciples. Thus He set His seal upon the mission of His forerunner. But the disciples of John looked with jealousy upon the growing popularity of Jesus. They stood ready to criticize His work, and it was not long before they found occasion. A question arose between them and the Jews as to whether baptism availed to cleanse the soul from sin; they maintained that the baptism of Jesus differed essentially from that of John. Soon they were in dispute with Christ's disciples in regard to the form of words proper to use at baptism, and finally as to the right of the latter to baptize at all. 
     The disciples of John came to him with their grievances, saying, "Rabbi, He that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou bearest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to Him." Through these words, Satan brought temptation upon John. Though John's mission seemed about to close, it was still possible for him to hinder the work of Christ. If he had sympathized with himself, and expressed grief or disappointment at being superseded, he would have sown the seeds of dissension, would have encouraged envy and jealousy, and would seriously have impeded the progress of the gospel. 
     John had by nature the faults and weaknesses common to humanity, but the touch of divine love had transformed him. He dwelt in an atmosphere uncontaminated with selfishness and ambition, and far above the miasma of jealousy. He manifested no sympathy with the dissatisfaction of his disciples, but showed how clearly he understood his relation to the Messiah, and how gladly he welcomed the One for whom he had prepared the way.
     He said, "A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before Him. He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice." John represented himself as the friend who acted as a messenger between the betrothed parties, preparing the way for the marriage. When the bridegroom had received his bride, the mission of the friend was fulfilled. He rejoiced in the happiness of those whose union he had promoted. So John had been called to direct the people to Jesus, and it was his joy to witness the success of the Saviour's work. He said, "This my joy therefore is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease."   
     Looking in faith to the Redeemer, John had risen to the height of self-abnegation. He sought not to attract men to himself, but to lift their thoughts higher and still higher, until they should rest upon the Lamb of God. He himself had been only a voice, a cry in the wilderness. Now with joy he accepted silence and obscurity, that the eyes of all might be turned to the Light of life. 
     Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. "Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15. 
     The soul of the prophet, emptied of self, was filled with the light of the divine. As he witnessed to the Saviour's glory, his words were almost a counterpart of those that Christ Himself had spoken in His interview with Nicodemus. John said, "He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: He that cometh from heaven is above all. . . . For He whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." Christ could say, "I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me." John 5:30. To Him it is declared, "Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even Thy God, hath anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows." Hebrews 1:9. The Father "giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." 
     So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V.   
     The disciples of John had declared that all men were coming to Christ; but with clearer insight, John said, "No man receiveth His witness;" so few were ready to accept Him as the Saviour from sin. But "he that hath received His witness hath set his seal to this, that God is true." John 3:33, R. V. "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life." No need of disputation as to whether Christ's baptism or John's purified from sin. It is the grace of Christ that gives life to the soul. Apart from Christ, baptism, like any other service, is a worthless form. "He that believeth not the Son shall not see life." 
     The success of Christ's work, which the Baptist had received with such joy, was reported also to the authorities at Jerusalem. The priests and rabbis had been jealous of John's influence as they saw the people leaving the synagogues and flocking to the wilderness; but here was One who had still greater power to attract the multitudes. Those leaders in Israel were not willing to say with John, "He must increase, but I must decrease." They arose with a new determination to put an end to the work that was drawing the people away from them. 
     Jesus knew that they would spare no effort to create a division between His own disciples and those of John. He knew that the storm was gathering which would sweep away one of the greatest prophets ever given to the world. Wishing to avoid all occasion for misunderstanding or dissension, He quietly ceased His labors, and withdrew to Galilee. We also, while loyal to truth, should try to avoid all that may lead to discord and misapprehension. For whenever these arise, they result in the loss of souls. Whenever circumstances occur that threaten to cause division, we should follow the example of Jesus and of John the Baptist. 
     John had been called to lead out as a reformer. Because of this, his disciples were in danger of fixing their attention upon him, feeling that the success of the work depended upon his labors, and losing sight of the fact that he was only an instrument through which God had wrought. But the work of John was not sufficient to lay the foundation of the Christian church. When he had fulfilled his mission, another work was to be done, which his testimony could not accomplish. His disciples did not understand this. When they saw Christ coming in to take the work, they were jealous and dissatisfied. 
     The same dangers still exist. God calls a man to do a certain work; and when he has carried it as far as he is qualified to take it, the Lord brings in others, to carry it still farther. But, like John's disciples, many feel that the success of the work depends on the first laborer. Attention is fixed upon the human instead of the divine, jealousy comes in, and the work of God is marred. The one thus unduly honored is tempted to cherish self-confidence. He does not realize his dependence on God. The people are taught to rely on man for guidance, and thus they fall into error, and are led away from God.   
     The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

END.......

_________________________________________________ __________________________

_________________________________________________ __________________________

The true teacher sent from God will not attract others to himself, but will point all to Christ and His Word. This is the subject of this wonderful chapter.

John had been called to lead out as a reformer. Because of this, his disciples were in danger of fixing their attention upon him, feeling that the success of the work depended upon his labors, and losing sight of the fact that he was only an instrument through which God had wrought. But the work of John was not sufficient to lay the foundation of the Christian church. When he had fulfilled his mission, another work was to be done, which his testimony could not accomplish. His disciples did not understand this. When they saw Christ coming in to take the work, they were jealous and dissatisfied. 

The same dangers still exist. God calls a man to do a certain work; and when he has carried it as far as he is qualified to take it, the Lord brings in others, to carry it still farther. But, like John's disciples, many feel that the success of the work depends on the first laborer. Attention is fixed upon the human instead of the divine, jealousy comes in, and the work of God is marred. The one thus unduly honored is tempted to cherish self-confidence. He does not realize his dependence on God. The people are taught to rely on man for guidance, and thus they fall into error, and are led away from God. 

The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."  DA 182 

Amen!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

wigina

Re: The Desire of Ages--18--"He Must Increase"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »
 Amen! It is a relay and we must know how to pass the baton! We must not let or first position chart us that we can go on to the end. In this relay the Lord has set for us limits. It is a communal relay sometimes we run together other times alone but we must never forget that the Lord knows our strengths and when we tie or are prone to be tempted He relieves us of the burden and another freshman is inducted into the race! Yes!! He must increase! For he is the one who begins and ends the race! As for us mortal men we our race ends somewhere we must learn to hand over the baton and say like Paul my race is ended! Our better,I have fought a God fight!

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:14:08 AM »

John had by nature the faults and weaknesses common to humanity, but the touch of divine love had transformed him. He dwelt in an atmosphere uncontaminated with selfishness and ambition, and far above the miasma of jealousy. He manifested no sympathy with the dissatisfaction of his disciples, but showed how clearly he understood his relation to the Messiah, and how gladly he welcomed the One for whom he had prepared the way.

Jas 5:17  Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

If John the Baptist, the greatest of prophets, and Elijah the man who went to Heaven in a chariot were subject to the same faults, weaknesses, and passion surely the Lord has enough grace for us also to subdue and conquer these faults, weaknesses, and passions and to make us more like Himself!

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:01:50 AM »
We also, while loyal to truth, should try to avoid all that may lead to discord and misapprehension. For whenever these arise, they result in the loss of souls. Whenever circumstances occur that threaten to cause division, we should follow the example of Jesus and of John the Baptist.

The same dangers still exist. God calls a man to do a certain work; and when he has carried it as far as he is qualified to take it, the Lord brings in others, to carry it still farther. But, like John's disciples, many feel that the success of the work depends on the first laborer. Attention is fixed upon the human instead of the divine, jealousy comes in, and the work of God is marred.

Two separate thoughts here. I think the behavior at board, committee, and business meetings might be different if we were to take this seriously. It is a sobering thought that souls are stake here and we are playing a direct role.

The other part I quoted reminds me of pastor that I once knew many years ago. When he first came to our church it was clear that the Lord had lead him to us. Then a just a few years later as I was speaking to him about leaving. He said... "Jim, I've taken this church as far as I can and now it's time for someone else."  I realize that the part I quoted was not speaking necessarily specifically to pastors but to all areas of ministry. 
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 07:46:29 AM »
We also, while loyal to truth, should try to avoid all that may lead to discord and misapprehension. For whenever these arise, they result in the loss of souls. Whenever circumstances occur that threaten to cause division, we should follow the example of Jesus and of John the Baptist.

Amen, Jim. Some will mistake this to mean not speaking truth when it causes any division in the church. When we read about "division"  are we talking about all division? I don't think so. Do we have a Bible passage that talks about division that comes when the truth is presented, that is going to come if we do what we are being led to do?

I believe the division being spoken of in our current chapter is division among those who are abiding in Christ. In this case, division between John and Jesus and their followers. On the other hand, Jesus was continually causing a further division between many who were in rebellion against the truth. When He healed on the Sabbath Day, He knew what would follow. It was His intent to reveal the perversion of the law. Yet, all He did considered much. There was nothing done that was unnecessary to accomplish the work He came to do. While the truth He presented was as a sword, He presented it with love in His heart and in His Words. "My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace. I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war." Psalms 120:6,7.

There is a powerful example that we ought to understand where Jesus knew what He said was going to separate some of His false disciples from those who would become His faithful Apostles. He wanted the division, for it was to benefit His true disciples. "Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day....Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard [this], said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." John 6:53,54, 60-66.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 09:02:03 AM »
I appreciate the comments that both of you have shared today. Humility is so important in ministry--and John the Baptist revealed humility in recognizing that God had led him as far as he could take the work for that time--and that his joy was in seeing Jesus take it further.

I also realize, as Richard stated, that "division" is not to be feared if it is because we are being faithful to the gospel truths God has entrusted to us (but in our manner of presenting these precious truths we should seek to be as courteous and Christ-like as possible so as to make the truth winsome). Nevertheless, God's faithful messengers will never tone down the message to try to avoid division that God's word is creating (a division between sin and the soul who is seeking to be brought to repentance by the agency of the Holy Spirit).

As I was reading this chapter this morning, I was moved by the thought of how spiritual discernment has so much to do with surrender of self.

"So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V." {DA 181.1}

The daily battle of the Christian is in the thought life--which leads to the actions, habits, character...and we may feel powerless to change ourselves (good!)--so we come to Christ just as we are, choose to meditate upon Him, and consent to His work in us, and He creates a new life in the soul, whereby our thoughts are new, flowing from a heart renewed by divine grace. But the "new birth" begun must be continued, fed. How many waver in the valley of decision because they hear or read spiritual things part of the time, but then have those very thoughts counterbalanced by the assaults of Satan through media, television, entertainment, and music. There are so many snares abounding--but the more we behold Jesus, the more hateful the things of this world will become to us, and we will desire the transformation, once begun, to only deepen in love and knowledge of Christ!

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »

While it is true that Christ came to show us the way and to bring unity He also came to bring division. He came to bring division between truth and error. Error had well nigh taken over by the time Jesus came.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 04:30:38 PM »
Amen, cp. Christ died that we might walk in the light of truth. Since spiritual things are spiritually discerned, we must be born again daily. We must be filled with His Spirit in order to understand truth and to follow it.  I like Pastor Sean's quote from the lesson. "We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ."  This is too strong for many in the church. But, none ought to be discouraged by it, Christ is well able to bring us to this point. His yoke is easy.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 06:49:11 AM »
Following on after the above quoted passage we read another narrow statement regarding what is required to be converted.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V.  

Is this our current state? Have we come to this point? Do we "consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ"?  This is a test of discipleship. How many have truly been converted?   This is too strong for many in the church.  Let none be discouraged by it, Christ is well able to bring us to this point. How can this be? By spending a thoughtful hour a day contemplating God's grace. Too much time to give to Jesus? Then sadly it will almost impossible to be saved. It is by grace we are saved. It is as thick around us as the air we breathe. If we do not see it, if we do not assimilate it, then we will be lost. God does not give grace for tomorrow, we must be fed daily if we want to have spiritual life. It is by beholding we become changed.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
I appreciate how this chapter reveals how Jesus' character was revealed in John the Baptist. This is the essence of the good news--that Jesus can make us like Him, because we receive His Spirit.

The soul of the prophet, emptied of self, was filled with the light of the divine. As he witnessed to the Saviour's glory, his words were almost a counterpart of those that Christ Himself had spoken in His interview with Nicodemus. John said, "He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: He that cometh from heaven is above all. . . . For He whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." Christ could say, "I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me." John 5:30. To Him it is declared, "Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even Thy God, hath anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows." Hebrews 1:9. The Father "giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." 

When we have the Holy Spirit in our lives, there is no limit to what God can do!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 05:39:45 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! What does it mean to be filled with the Holy Spirit? As you have pointed out, it means to be emptied of self as was John the Baptist. We cannot serve God and Satan and self at the same time. We must choose Jesus and allow Him to take possession of the entire heart.

There is great danger that man will look to man instead of looking to God? Do we see this today in the church? Why is it that so many think they are "rich and increased with goods and in need of nothing, but know not they are miserable, and wretched, and poor, and blind and naked"? Because they have trust in the teaching of man and do not even know what Jesus is saying in that simple statement of reproof. They do not study for themselves. They listen to sermons, they read books, they watch videos thinking they are serving God. But, while sends teachers, so does Satan. Instead of making their devotions and Bible study their own, they seek out what others have said about the Bible. The true teacher sent of God points others to Christ and His Word. This is the evidence of true conversion. and true calling.

Ellen White did not want to accept the call to serve God as a messenger. Why? Because she understood what is being said here. She did not trust herself to be so honored. She knew of the danger of pride to be so chosen of God. She was assured God would humble her through sickness if she were in danger of self importance. How weak is man that he should think of himself as able to do any good thing separated from the source of all wisdom and strength. On the other hand, how sad that we would not understand that when "in Christ" and He "in us" we can do ALL things that He asks of us. Satan has deceived so many on these two points. Let us turn to Christ today. Let us learn of Him who gave all for us that we might by beholding Him, become changed into His image from glory unto glory! It is a promise even for the most sinful. It is the power of grace!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 06:35:05 AM »
Amen, Richard! Truly our attention must be continually uplifted to the divine rather than the human. And while God does use human agencies, we are to be personally testing al teachings by the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy for ourselves, so that we are not relying upon the chaff of man's utterance in place of the sure word of truth from our loving God. So subtle can the deceptions be that often the human agency may not even be aware that they are out spreading a false gospel. Some may know, but others are deceived, and deceiving others. Our only safety will be in continually behold the truth as it is in Jesus given us from fully inspired sources. What a privilege we have to personally study and grow by such exercise of the mental faculties!

In today's chapter, we see the evidence of the work of the Holy Spirit in a life that is devoted to God's service:

The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Since Christ is the great center, the worker for God will be glad that the attention is continually upon Him, and not upon self. Self can receive no credit for a work that is of God. And yet in contrast to the work of John the Baptist we see the effects of self-love cherished by the priests and rulers:

The success of Christ's work, which the Baptist had received with such joy, was reported also to the authorities at Jerusalem. The priests and rabbis had been jealous of John's influence as they saw the people leaving the synagogues and flocking to the wilderness; but here was One who had still greater power to attract the multitudes. Those leaders in Israel were not willing to say with John, "He must increase, but I must decrease." They arose with a new determination to put an end to the work that was drawing the people away from them.

So sad this is! The authorities at Jerusalem, separated from a living connection with Christ, had no light to give to the people. And so it is with us today. If we are not connected to the living Vine, there can be no usefulness is God's service, no growth in divine grace. Souls will be led to a false standard. Only when Christ abides within the heart through a living-faith connection, and the heart and mind are filled with the Holy Spirit so that all of the fruits of the Spirit are present without one missing, is it possible for one to say in sincerity "He must increase, but I must decrease," and present the gospel in clarity. We need Jesus continually--and He is more than willing to impart Himself to the weakest of the weak so that he or she may become strong in His strength, and by beholding His loveliness, be continually more like the Savior!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:59 AM »
The true teacher sent of God will point all to Christ. "Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world!"

And, he will welcome others who are giving the same message. John did not attempt to attract people to himself. He did not love self, but Christ unto his death.

God calls a man to do a certain work; and when he has carried it as far as he is qualified to take it, the Lord brings in others, to carry it still farther. But, like John's disciples, many feel that the success of the work depends on the first laborer. Attention is fixed upon the human instead of the divine, jealousy comes in, and the work of God is marred. The one thus unduly honored is tempted to cherish self-confidence. He does not realize his dependence on God. The people are taught to rely on man for guidance, and thus they fall into error, and are led away from God.   

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 06:14:45 AM »
     God calls a man to do a certain work; and when he has carried it as far as he is qualified to take it, the Lord brings in others, to carry it still farther. But, like John's disciples, many feel that the success of the work depends on the first laborer. Attention is fixed upon the human instead of the divine, jealousy comes in, and the work of God is marred. The one thus unduly honored is tempted to cherish self-confidence. He does not realize his dependence on God. The people are taught to rely on man for guidance, and thus they fall into error, and are led away from God.   

Richard, this is interesting because this is exactly what grabbed my attention this morning but for a different reason. Years and years ago our pastor was leaving our church for another in a different state. I had grown to love this pastor. Not only had I worked closely with him in church activities and duties but had been on mission trips with him. One day he and I were talking alone and he said.... "Jim, I've taken this church as far as I can. It's time for another to step in."

Until he said that I had never considered this. In that God might put you somewhere to start a work but you may not be there to see it finished because someone else is needed to finish the work that you started.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 07:14:12 AM »
Amen, Jim. I am so thankful that you and Mimi who have contributed so much to this online ministry. This Desire of Ages Forum is a good example. We had started a Desire of Ages thread before, but few want to take the time to read and discuss Jesus daily. So, I did not want another dead forum, but you persuaded me to begin again. It is the most important area we have. God has blessed it and one day we will see many others joining us to share their experience with Jesus and the blessings that come from spending a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ. Pastor Sean has taken an interest and is an example of what we shall see in the future. There are many who shall find us who love to talk about Jesus, and want to learn more about Him.

Dr. Dugald and I discussed this counsel about leadership sixteen years ago. I was concerned. He encouraged me for a number of reasons to continue on as it was. It was very sad when he passed away. Let us pray the Lord will send more workers into His vineyard. There is such a great lack, for the harvest field is white and ready to harvest. and the workers are few.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 10:31:17 AM »
I feel it is a privilege to be a co-laborer with Christ to point souls to Him as the only way for them to be saved. I am so blessed by The Desire of Ages forum here! What a joy it is to be able to have others in the body of Christ--from all around the world--share how Jesus has blessed them each day as they individually spend this "thoughful hour" with Jesus daily! I get SO EXCITED waking up in the morning--to go and be with Jesus beholding His character in the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy as we see this in The Desire of Ages.

I love Jesus, and John the Baptist loved Jesus. We also, while loyal to truth, will seek to avoid discord and any attention being drawn to self that leads away from Christ. Look to Jesus! He is everything! We need Him continually in order to do any good thing!

He said, "A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before Him. He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice." John represented himself as the friend who acted as a messenger between the betrothed parties, preparing the way for the marriage. When the bridegroom had received his bride, the mission of the friend was fulfilled. He rejoiced in the happiness of those whose union he had promoted. So John had been called to direct the people to Jesus, and it was his joy to witness the success of the Saviour's work. He said, "This my joy therefore is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease."    

What greater joy can we have than beholding the loveliness of Jesus? The joy of sharing that joy with others and seeing them transformed in character as well! They go hand-in-hand, because we cannot share what we do not have. If we have Jesus, we will love to speak of Him and uplift Him to others as the One who can save us completely from sin and imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing (true conversion). What a joy!

I love Jesus! And Jesus has given us the privilege to be able to point souls to Christ who can heal, save, and transform. What a fellowship! What a joy divine!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 05:16:56 AM »
Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. "Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15.

Too often we see just the opposite happen. Leaders and speakers seem to enjoy their "popularity". However, a true servant will not be changed by their popularity nor the voices that suddenly turn against them. We all know that it doesn't take much for people to turn on their once loved leader. The servant is not greater than the master.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 05:40:45 AM »
Amen, Jim! We will experience death to self, and glory in the cross, as Jesus is lifted higher and higher, and we forget self in His service!

Looking in faith to the Redeemer, John had risen to the height of self-abnegation. He sought not to attract men to himself, but to lift their thoughts higher and still higher, until they should rest upon the Lamb of God. He himself had been only a voice, a cry in the wilderness. Now with joy he accepted silence and obscurity, that the eyes of all might be turned to the Light of life. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »
Amen, Jim and Pastor Sean!  The true teacher sent of God will not speak his own words, but will take joy in pointing all to Christ and His Word. What a privilege we have to know God and to be His witnesses as the the world draws to its end. It is the loveliness of Jesus, His character, that is drawing all to Him. This book we are reading is such a powerful expression of that loveliness. And, by reading it daily, we shall continue to be greatly blessed.

My mind was impressed with the character of John. He had been deceived about the mission of Christ. He thought, like the rest of Israel, that the Messiah would reign from an earthly throne. But, John's character was formed after the likeness of Jesus. There were no prophets greater than John. He came in the power and Spirit of Elijah. How did he manage to form such a character being so deceived about the mission of Jesus?

From our reading a week ago, we read:

God had called the son of Zacharias to a great work, the greatest ever committed to men. In order to accomplish this work, he must have the Lord to work with him. And the Spirit of God would be with him if he heeded the instruction of the angel.
     John was to go forth as Jehovah's messenger, to bring to men the light of God. He must give a new direction to their thoughts. He must impress them with the holiness of God's requirements, and their need of His perfect righteousness. Such a messenger must be holy. He must be a temple for the indwelling Spirit of God. In order to fulfill his mission, he must have a sound physical constitution, and mental and spiritual strength. Therefore it would be necessary for him to control the appetites and passions. He must be able so to control all his powers that he could stand among men as unmoved by surrounding circumstances as the rocks and mountains of the wilderness.

He was holy. How did he develop such holiness? We also read "The Holy Spirit rested upon Zacharias, and in these beautiful words he prophesied of the mission of his son: "Thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest." He father was a consecrated priest, as was his mother. John was filled with the Holy Spirit from the womb. He parents were instructed how to rear him. They obeyed the counsel given.

So it is in our day. If parents were to be fully surrendered to Jesus, if they walked in the counsels given, such as in Child Guidance, then they too would see the results of their faithfulness to God. But, many ignore and reject the light given. How very sad. The result is seen in their children. So many leave the church.

And many others reject the gospel message. In today's reading we see a little more about the character of John and the need he and we have to be continually looking unto Jesus.

So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 03:44:40 AM »
I love this simple, beautiful chapter in which the loveliness of Jesus is manifest in John the Baptist, who would rather see Christ exalted than himself. So it will be with us if we are fully surrendered to Christ with the soul cleansed from selfishness (all of it!) and we will delight to see the focus ever directed to Jesus!!

What is beautiful is that God's Spirit will give us the very words Jesus would say--and that is why what John said is compared to what Jesus said to Nicodemus. We learn in that reading from yesterday that we must be born again. We need to be saved from our default position by our fallen nature of wicked, sinful, unbelief. Let us cry out to Christ to do this work in us, and know that with God all things are possible who are willing to "behold the Lamb of God"!! By beholding we become changed!!