Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--17--Nicodemus  (Read 41954 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--17--Nicodemus
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2019, 04:51:53 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

We need the greatest miracle God longs to perform to be wrought in us each day--true conversion, when the heart and mind are renewed by divine grace to reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing and we gladly obey the law of God with an affectionate obedience, even as the fallen nature is kept continually dead by the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit. We need this experience continually by Jesus abiding in us always!

"Jesus continued: 'That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.' By nature the heart is evil, and 'who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one.' Job 14:4. No human invention can find a remedy for the sinning soul. 'The carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.' 'Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.' Romans 8:7; Matthew 15:19. The fountain of the heart must be purified before the streams can become pure. He who is trying to reach heaven by his own works in keeping the law is attempting an impossibility. There is no safety for one who has merely a legal religion, a form of godliness. The Christian’s life is not a modification or improvement of the old, but a transformation of nature. There is a death to self and sin, and a new life altogether. This change can be brought about only by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit." {The Desire of Ages, page 172, paragraph 1}

Let us yield to the miracle of God's transforming grace by beholding the Lamb of God by a living faith surrender!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2019, 09:44:37 AM »
Amen! And it is the Holy Spirit that convicts of sin. It is interesting to note that Nicodemus did not hear the Holy Spirit speaking to Him in regards to his sin? He had heard John preacning repentance, but he did not think he needed anything. He was indeed rich and increased with goods. He was in a Laodicean condition. He did not know he was wretched and miserable, and poor, blind, and naked. Amazing that so many in the church today do not understand what Jesus is saying to the church in the third chapter of Revelation to the Laodicean Church. We have been deceived about what it means to be in a Laodicean condition. Did Nicodemus have eternal life when he went to see Jesus? Of course not. Then neither do we when we are not fully surrendered to Christ and filled witrh the Holy Spirit.

Nicodemus had heard the preaching of John the Baptist concerning repentance and baptism, and pointing the people to One who should baptize with the Holy Spirit. He himself had felt that there was a lack of spirituality among the Jews, that, to a great degree, they were controlled by bigotry and worldly ambition. He had hoped for a better state of things at the Messiah’s coming. Yet the heart-searching message of the Baptist had failed to work in him conviction of sin. He was a strict Pharisee, and prided himself on his good works. He was widely esteemed for his benevolence and his liberality in sustaining the temple service, and he felt secure of the favor of God. He was startled at the thought of a kingdom too pure for him to see in his present state.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »
Amen, why did he not understand?

The figure of the new birth, which Jesus had used, was not wholly unfamiliar to Nicodemus. Converts from heathenism to the faith of Israel were often compared to children just born. Therefore he must have perceived that the words of Christ were not to be taken in a literal sense. But by virtue of his birth as an Israelite he regarded himself as sure of a place in the kingdom of God. He felt that he needed no change. Hence his surprise at the Saviour’s words. He was irritated by their close application to himself. The pride of the Pharisee was struggling against the honest desire of the seeker after truth. He wondered that Christ should speak to him as He did, not respecting his position as ruler in Israel.

Surprised out of his self-possession, he answered Christ in words full of irony, “How can a man be born when he is old?” Like many others when cutting truth is brought home to the conscience, he revealed the fact that the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God. There is in him nothing that responds to spiritual things; for spiritual things are spiritually discerned.

He was irritated by the Words of Jesus. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned.

But, all was not hopeless. The Holy Spirit continues to open the mind to truth to those who are seeking truth. Nicodemus was seeking truth. Jesus did not give up, nor does He give up on us. He pressed the truth even further. He did so in love even though He knew Nicodemus was not happy and was rejecting what He had said. This chapter needs no commentary. It is simple and easy to understand, unless one is still fighting against Jesus and His truth. Many in the church are like Nicodemus. As Jesus continued, we find that the attitude of Nicodemus changes, and he even comes to understand the mission of Jesus. There is much to learn in this simple and important chapter.

Sorry to get ahead, but I have been reading two chapters a day and I could not help but post my thoughts our of order. I am running late and cannot post on today's chapter, but will try to do so tonight.   :)   Brother Beacon, did not have time to reply to your PM, but I did make the change you requested. God bless your day!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2019, 06:09:45 PM »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I borrowed this quote from Pastor Sean which he posted several years ago because I share the same thoughts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ,

“I delight to do Thy will, O my God.” Psalm 40:8.

What a miracle! This is the greatest miracle God can perform, and He is willing to do it today in you and me anew! We need this experience continually! It is not just at the beginning of the Christian journey, but every step heavenward that we must have a heart renewed by divine grace, for apart from Christ we can do no good thing!
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2019, 05:48:14 AM »
While the wind is itself invisible, it produces effects that are seen and felt. So the work of the Spirit upon the soul will reveal itself in every act of him who has felt its saving power. When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven. No one sees the hand that lifts the burden, or beholds the light descend from the courts above. The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God.

This chapter has touched my heart deeply this morning. I just want to linger in His presence and not be distracted by the things this day demands of me. It's wonderful to know that we do not leave the knowledge and experience behind but carry it with us through out the day. If we only had this chapter to read we would know the way of salvation. I love how the Holy Spirit reveals new depths of truths each time we go over the same material. Just like children repetition plants truth deep within our hearts. What is most important is what we do with that truth.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2019, 09:07:58 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard, Brother Beacon, and Sister Dorine!

As much as Jesus longs to have us experience conversion, He is doing all He can to bring us to where that also is OUR DESIRE as we behold the loveliness of His character. Christ's manner of interaction with Nicodemus in the night interview was such that the heart of this high-standing Jew was being drawn. May we remember that how we reflect Christ will either draw or repel souls from Christ. May we pray that we not only have the power of grace changing us, but be in such union and communion with Christ that He may speak through us to invite others to have the power of grace work the great miracle in them. And what is that miracle of conversion? A sinful soul goes from living in bondage to the works of the flesh by full surrender to Christ to receive a new heart and mind wherein the law of God is affectionately obeyed as all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifest in the life without one missing! Grace is so powerful to transform sinners into saints! This can only be brought about by the Holy Spirit, and hence we have a continual need to abide in Him to do any good thing!

"Nicodemus was being drawn to Christ. As the Saviour explained to him concerning the new birth, he longed to have this change wrought in himself. By what means could it be accomplished? Jesus answered the unspoken question: 'As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 174, paragraph 3}

Looking upon Jesus we see two marvelous mysteries: God's infinite love for us, and the incredible hideousness of sin, that it would cause the death of Jesus. May we look upon sin with abhorrence and turn from it for its inherent baseness and we choose to yield unreservedly to Christ today!! What a joy it is that we have a Savior in Jesus!!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »
"When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven."

"No one sees the hand that lifts the burden, or beholds the light descend from the courts above. The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God."

Harry Anderson in his painting of Jesus knocking on the door of our hearts, painted it with such beauty and accuracy when he showed Jesus knocking on the door of our hearts and minds. That Door showed No Handle on the Outside!! Jesus never forces anyone!! ( and neither should we try compel anyone ) Only by Love does He stand at the door of our heart and knocks,  pleading with us to respond to His Great Offer of Salvation, paid in full by Him for each one of us, at such GREAT PRICE On The Cross of Calvary.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2019, 07:19:16 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Jesus patiently draws us to Himself and it is when we finally surrender fully to all the wooing of His Spirit that our souls are truly converted, and all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are manifest in our lives because Christ is a continual abiding guest in the soul!

"The wind is heard among the branches of the trees, rustling the leaves and flowers; yet it is invisible, and no man knows whence it comes or whither it goes. So with the work of the Holy Spirit upon the heart. It can no more be explained than can the movements of the wind. A person may not be able to tell the exact time or place, or to trace all the circumstances in the process of conversion; but this does not prove him to be unconverted. By an agency as unseen as the wind, Christ is constantly working upon the heart. Little by little, perhaps unconsciously to the receiver, impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ. These may be received through meditating upon Him, through reading the Scriptures, or through hearing the word from the living preacher. Suddenly, as the Spirit comes with more direct appeal, the soul gladly surrenders itself to Jesus. By many this is called sudden conversion; but it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,—a patient, protracted process." {The Desire of Ages, page 172, paragraph 3}

Let us yield continually to Christ, and not resist His drawing us into an ever-deeper intimacy with Himself!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2019, 01:06:14 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon!  Conversion is the end of a long process of wooing by the Holy Spirit. Saul was converted on the road to Damascus, but the Holy Spirit had been working on his heart for a long time. As the Holy Spirit revealed more and more grace, he found it hard to"kick against the pricks" of the Spirit. Many in the church today have never been converted. They were "buried alive" and did not die to self. How can this be? Many who have been ordained were buried alive and do not know any more than did Nicodemus know about what it means to be converted. And, how to be converted. It is by grace we are saved (transformed) and the heart cleansed from sin. Grace surrounds us, but we must see it and take it into the heart.

There are thousands today who need to learn the same truth that was taught to Nicodemus by the uplifted serpent. They depend on their obedience to the law of God to commend them to His favor. When they are bidden to look to Jesus, and believe that He saves them solely through His grace, they exclaim, “How can these things be?”

We have so very much to be thankful for. America was truly blessed by God when she was a Protestant nation. But, that no longer is. Still, in America we celebrate today what we are thankful for. It is our Thanksgiving holiday. Let us give thanks to our Creator for giving us His Son! As we near the end, it is our privilege to be witnesses of the power of His grace to make saints out of sinners in a world soon to perish.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
Once again, the Holy Spirit impressed me to share what I shared last time I read this chapter.

When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven. No one sees the hand that lifts the burden, or beholds the light descend from the courts above. The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God....

While Jesus was speaking, some gleams of truth penetrated the ruler’s mind. The softening, subduing influence of the Holy Spirit impressed his heart. Yet he did not fully understand the Saviour’s words. He was not so much impressed by the necessity of the new birth as by the manner of its accomplishment. He said wonderingly, “How can these things be?”

Many in the church today are not asking this question because they remain in a Laodicean condition. They think they are already "saved" and even when sinning they believe and have been taught they do not lose their "justification" (salvation). It does no good to tell them how to be saved when they are blind to their need. It is a terrible condition. Jesus gives the answer in the message to the Laodicean Church in Revelation chapter three.  He also gives us the answer in today's reading. It is by grace we are saved. It surrounds us as thick as the air we breathe.

If we do not take time to see this grace, to take into our hearts, then it benefits us nothing.

There was no excuse for the blindness of Israel in regard to the work of regeneration. Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Isaiah had written, “We are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.” David had prayed, “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.” And through Ezekiel the promise had been given, “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes.” Isaiah 64:6; Psalm 51:10; Ezekiel 36:26, 27.

Nicodemus had read these scriptures with a clouded mind; but he now began to comprehend their meaning. He saw that the most rigid obedience to the mere letter of the law as applied to the outward life could entitle no man to enter the kingdom of heaven. In the estimation of men, his life had been just and honorable; but in the presence of Christ he felt that his heart was unclean, and his life unholy.

Nicodemus was being drawn to Christ. As the Saviour explained to him concerning the new birth, he longed to have this change wrought in himself. By what means could it be accomplished? Jesus answered the unspoken question: “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.”

Here was ground with which Nicodemus was familiar. The symbol of the uplifted serpent made plain to him the Saviour’s mission. When the people of Israel were dying from the sting of the fiery serpents, God directed Moses to make a serpent of brass, and place it on high in the midst of the congregation. Then the word was sounded throughout the encampment that all who would look upon the serpent should live. The people well knew that in itself the serpent had no power to help them. It was a symbol of Christ. As the image made in the likeness of the destroying serpents was lifted up for their healing, so One made “in the likeness of sinful flesh” was to be their Redeemer. Romans 8:3. Many of the Israelites regarded the sacrificial service as having in itself virtue to set them free from sin. God desired to teach them that it had no more value than that serpent of brass. It was to lead their minds to the Saviour. Whether for the healing of their wounds or the pardon of their sins, they could do nothing for themselves but show their faith in the Gift of God. They were to look and live.

And what do we see when we "look" upon Jesus hanging on the tree? We see grace, love we do not deserve. This is what causes the heart to broken so that the Holy Spirit can take possession of it. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating this grace. By beholding this, we are transformed in our very nature. All of the fruits of the Spirit come into the life and stay there as long as we continue to abide in Christ and the Holy Spirit abides in our hearts. It is the miracle of all miracles!

Dorine

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »

Amen Richard. This is a theme I love to meditate on because it is through the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit in the reading of DA that I have come to understand this truth and experience freedom in Jesus. Each time spent in study and prayer opens new understandings of God's grace and love and brings me into a closer relationship with Jesus. Instead of judging others I want them to know this freedom too. This book is truly inspired of God.

The Christian’s life is not a modification or improvement of the old, but a transformation of nature. There is a death to self and sin, and a new life altogether. This change can be brought about only by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2020, 05:28:43 PM »
"When the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul, the thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ"...

“I delight to do Thy will, O my God.” Psalm 40:8

We need to ask ourselves with an open honesty==="Have my thoughts and desires been brought into obedience to the will of Christ?"

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2020, 03:49:43 AM »
Praise the Lord for what the Holy Spirit does to convert us!

"The wind is heard among the branches of the trees, rustling the leaves and flowers; yet it is invisible, and no man knows whence it comes or whither it goes. So with the work of the Holy Spirit upon the heart. It can no more be explained than can the movements of the wind. A person may not be able to tell the exact time or place, or to trace all the circumstances in the process of conversion; but this does not prove him to be unconverted. By an agency as unseen as the wind, Christ is constantly working upon the heart. Little by little, perhaps unconsciously to the receiver, impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ. These may be received through meditating upon Him, through reading the Scriptures, or through hearing the word from the living preacher. Suddenly, as the Spirit comes with more direct appeal, the soul gladly surrenders itself to Jesus. By many this is called sudden conversion; but it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,—a patient, protracted process." {The Desire of Ages, page 172, paragraph 3}

When we yield fully to Christ that is not the first time the Holy Spirit has been drawing us. All our lives God is seeking to reach us by agencies as genius as His love is infinite. Let us yield completely to Christ so He can abide in us and bring forth the evidence of His divine nature: all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in the life!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2020, 04:49:29 AM »
What do we need in life? We need salvation! Apart from this, all other things fade into insignificance when we consider that God intends that we would live with Him throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity! The devil is going about like a roaring lion seeking to confuse the gospel so people will either try to be saved by some work they can do apart from Christ (or in addition to Christ) or to lead them to the fatal deception that God can save them in their sins. Jesus came to transform our natures as we behold His infinite loveliness! The miracle of what His grace has power to do is what we all need to experience--daily--so the Holy Spirit can bring forth from hearts and minds surrendered completely to Him the evidence of His abiding in the soul: all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as the precious repentant child of God delights to obey God's law of love!!

"How, then, are we to be saved? 'As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,' so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. 'Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.' John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, 'I delight to do Thy will, O my God.' Psalm 40:8." {The Desire of Ages, page 175, paragraph 5}

Only by the means God has provided can we be saved. God created us and He is also the one who has devised the genius way of saving us completely from our sin! As you behold Christ in His agony upon Calvary, as you contemplate the decision He made to go through with the sacrifice in Gethsemane, you begin to realize that by every sin Jesus is wounded afresh, that every sin is an infinite loss to the beauty of the universe, and all you want to do is come in penitence and humiliation on your knees, acknowledging your continual need of Jesus to do any good thing! Let us deeply feel how much we need Christ on a moment-by-moment basis to renew our heart with His divine nature and keep us in the center of His will!

Beacon

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2020, 07:56:42 AM »
"When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven."

In reflecting upon the above quoted statement should we not ask ourselves "Does this reflect my current experience with Jesus? "   If the answer is " NO " Then perhaps we are still trying to do it by ourselves without surrendering fully in faith to Jesus.

"No one sees the hand that lifts the burden, or beholds the light descend from the courts above. The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2020, 07:58:59 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon! Why is that so many do not understand such a simple truth?

As Pastor Sean has pointed out: "The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, 'I delight to do Thy will, O my God.' Psalm 40:8."

The Laodicean condition applies to the church in our day. Thus, so many have not an understanding of what it means to be converted. We are going to live in sinful flesh until Jesus comes when the faithful will received glorified bodies. But, sinful flesh is not an excuse for sin. What is sin? It is the transgression of God's law, to the degree we know it. Why is living in sinful flesh not an excuse for sin? Because God at great expense allowed His innocent Son to pay the price for our sins and if we will surrender all to Him, He will empower us to keep His law. He has promised to set us free from the law of sin and death to which we are bound by our sinful flesh and carnal mind. If we will learn of Him and love Him with all we are and all we have, then we will keep His law.  He will give us a new mind and a new heart with the law of God written on it.

The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, 'I delight to do Thy will, O my God.' Psalm 40:8."

Our reading today reveals a leader in Israel who was in a Laodicean condition. He thought he was just fine the way he was, lost. He was blind to His condition. Such a dangerous situation! He was not fine, he was lost and thought himself saved. So it is today, many are like Nicodemus. They know not their condition. But, it is not hopeless. Jesus does not foresake those who are in this condition if they have not hardened their heart. There are many in a Laodicean condition that Jesus is speaking to just as He spoke to Nicodemus.

But Jesus was acquainted with the soil into which He cast the seed. The words spoken at night to one listener in the lonely mountain were not lost. For a time Nicodemus did not publicly acknowledge Christ, but he watched His life, and pondered His teachings. In the Sanhedrin council he repeatedly thwarted the schemes of the priests to destroy Him. When at last Jesus was lifted up on the cross, Nicodemus remembered the teaching upon Olivet: “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.” The light from that secret interview illumined the cross upon Calvary, and Nicodemus saw in Jesus the world’s Redeemer.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2020, 06:05:35 AM »
Happy Sabbath!! We need to be converted daily, and abide in the converting, renewing grace of God on a moment-by-moment basis!

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit" (John 3:5-8).

"While the wind is itself invisible, it produces effects that are seen and felt. So the work of the Spirit upon the soul will reveal itself in every act of him who has felt its saving power. When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven. No one sees the hand that lifts the burden, or beholds the light descend from the courts above. The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 173, paragraph 1}

But how does the Spirit of God renew us? What motivates the heart to yield FULLY to Jesus? "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved" (John 3:14-17).

By beholding the loveliness of Jesus, and meditating upon the infinite love of God the Father who gave His only begotten Son to the shameful death of Calvary, we are enabled to truly experience a renewing of the our hearts and minds by the supernatural agency of the Holy Spirit. Then all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing as we live by faith upon Him, gladly living the principles of the law of God with affectionate obedience!

Dorine

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2020, 06:29:45 AM »
"How, then, are we to be saved? “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,” so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, “I delight to do Thy will, O my God.” Psalm 40:8."

This story has become very precious to me. I never tire of reading it. Most importantly it has shown me that my life was much like Nicodemus'. I was a favored child. After all I was born into God's remnant family, raised in a strict but loving SDA home. Went to our SDA schools, cooperative, polite, friendly yet shy, very active in church leadership, faithful in tithes and offerings, gave bible studies, was a literature evangelist for two years.....you get the picture..... yet I was lost. It was an encounter with a loving Pastor that said I needed conversion that brought me to my knees. He perceived that I did not have a personal relationship with God because of fears and anxieties and attitudes when things went wrong in my life. Isn't God good! He uses many ways to reach our hearts. I needed a blunt but kind revelation of myself by someone who I knew really cared. This was the beginning of a journey of learning to surrender each day my life to Jesus and spending time getting to know Him.  ....so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live." This includes us all.

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2020, 11:16:24 AM »
"When the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul, the thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ"...

“I delight to do Thy will, O my God.” Psalm 40:8
We need to ask ourselves with an open honesty==="Have my thoughts and desires been brought into obedience to the will of Christ?"

Beacon

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2020, 06:49:10 AM »
"When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven. No one sees the hand that lifts the burden, or beholds the light descend from the courts above...

The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God."

Joshua 24:15 says....
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

The question we must face today is..." Are we willing to surrender ourselves to God.? "