Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--14--We Have Found the Messias  (Read 27980 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--14--We Have Found the Messias
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2020, 06:49:33 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  What we need is the knowledge of the power of grace, the gospel message.  Here you share the results of the gospel.

When the Spirit of God, with its marvelous awakening power, touches the soul, it abases human pride. Worldly pleasure and position and power are seen to be worthless. "Imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God" are cast down; every thought is brought into captivity "to the obedience of Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5. Then humility and self-sacrificing love, so little valued among men, are exalted as alone of worth..

This is the work of the gospel, of which John's message was a part.

I too was impressed with this truth. It is the gospel of grace which has been perverted in the church today just as it was in the days of Israel.

There is so much in this chapter!  Jesus is coming so very soon. But, He cannot come until we have done our part. As in the days of John the Baptist when he went before Jesus came, so are we too make way for the coming of Jesus. His glory will cover the Earth, but not as in the days of John. Today, Jesus will not reveal His glory with His personal presence. He is in the heavenly sanctuary guiding His church to reveal His glory. When we are truly converted, we will reveal His glory and we will do the work of missionaries. We do not have to be told to do it, we will want to do it. It is the joy of our life to lead others to Christ.

In the very family, the neighborhood, the town, where we live, there is work for us to do as missionaries for Christ. If we are Christians, this work will be our delight. No sooner is one converted than there is born within him a desire to make known to others what a precious friend he has found in Jesus. The saving and sanctifying truth cannot be shut up in his heart. 

If we do not have a burning desire to do this work, then we ought to realize something is missing. It is Jesus that is missing. We must have Him in the heart. He stands at the door knocking. Shall we keep Him out or let Him in that we might have love, joy, and peace that passes all understanding?  It is our choice to make. Have a blessed Sabbath my dear friends. There are not many left!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2021, 04:52:48 AM »
There is a wonderful way for us to be connected to our heavenly Father--and that is through Christ! We come to Him in all of our helpless unworthiness and accept His divine grace which has power to convert sinners into saints, to renew the heart and mind and make us partakers of the divine nature whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives without one missing! Let us rejoice in Jesus and abide in His true character by grace through faith, for by beholding we become changed!

"And He saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man" (John 1:51).

"Here Christ virtually says, On the bank of the Jordan the heavens were opened, and the Spirit descended like a dove upon Me. That scene was but a token that I am the Son of God. If you believe on Me as such, your faith shall be quickened. You shall see that the heavens are opened, and are never to be closed. I have opened them to you. The angels of God are ascending, bearing the prayers of the needy and distressed to the Father above, and descending, bringing blessing and hope, courage, help, and life, to the children of men." {The Desire of Ages, page 142, paragraph 4}   

We need all the help we can receive from God and the ministry of His angels to us! Even though we may not see them, let us be thankful for all that the heavenly angels do to help protect us and bless us! We get to allow the Holy Spirit to work in us to form a character that will give evidence to the angels that the gospel of God's amazing grace has wrought a change in our lives, and we are new creatures in Christ Jesus!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2021, 07:33:54 AM »
"The angels of God are ever passing from earth to heaven, and from heaven to earth. The miracles of Christ for the afflicted and suffering were wrought by the power of God through the ministration of the angels. And it is through Christ, by the ministration of His heavenly messengers, that every blessing comes from God to us. In taking upon Himself humanity, our Saviour unites His interests with those of the fallen sons and daughters of Adam, while through His divinity He grasps the throne of God. And thus Christ is the medium of communication of men with God, and of God with men."

I don't often think of the role of angels in our communication with heaven and vise versa. It may not be terribly important to know but this morning it brought a warmth to my heart and I sensed a closeness to heaven because of it.  It is such a pleasant thought to know that we each have a guardian angel that is very active in the work of protecting and guiding and influencing our lives. I like the story of Jacob's dream and the sight of the ladder with many angels ascending and descending in perfect order and mission. If we could see beyond the veil we would see the same activity for each one. God's love in our hearts will be seen and desired by those whose hearts are longing for something better. Heaven may be unseen but we are very visible to the world. We may be the only way a lost soul will have in 'finding the Messias'.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Philip T

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2021, 08:27:44 AM »
  While they trust to the guidance of human authority, none will come to a saving knowledge of the truth. Like Nathanael, we need to study God's word for ourselves, and pray for the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit. He who saw Nathanael under the fig tree will see us in the secret place of prayer. Angels from the world of light are near to those who in humility seek for divine guidance.

Amen Sean and Dorine; 

It is a blessing to realize the angels are for the salvation of mankind, and protecting us. The quotation from todays reading struck my heart. The pattern for a close walk with God, and the perfection of our characters is seen here. As long as we trust in human guidance  and authority we will not come to have a saving relationship with Jesus, The only way is to surrender self to Him, is to pray and study the Word of God. Letting the Holy Spirit touch our hearts realizing heavenly angels are close by to those who have surrendered to Jesus and are seeking Him with a true and humble heart.

Beacon

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2021, 09:57:40 AM »
In the very family, the neighborhood, the town, where we live, there is work for us to do as missionaries for Christ.

If we are Christians, this work will be our delight.

No sooner is one converted than there is born within him a desire to make known to others what a precious friend he has found in Jesus. The saving and sanctifying truth cannot be shut up in his heart.

When the Spirit of God, with its marvelous awakening power, touches the soul, it abases human pride. Worldly pleasure and position and power are seen to be worthless. "Imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God" are cast down; every thought is brought into captivity "to the obedience of Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5.

Then humility and self-sacrificing love, so little valued among men, are exalted as alone of worth.

Do You - Do I have that burning desire in OUR HEARTS to share the JOY of serving JESUS? Are we really Converted? I would recommend re- reading the paragraphs above once more and lift our voices in prayer asking God to fill us with the Holy Spirit and so be able to be used in what ever manner He may indicate.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2021, 06:03:31 PM »

If we are Christians, this work will be our delight.

No sooner is one converted than there is born within him a desire to make known to others what a precious friend he has found in Jesus. The saving and sanctifying truth cannot be shut up in his heart. [/b][/font][/size][/color]

Amen Brother Beacon! We do not have to be taught, or hammered evangelize, it just is when we love Jesus with all we are and all we have.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2021, 06:11:55 PM »
  While they trust to the guidance of human authority, none will come to a saving knowledge of the truth. Like Nathanael, we need to study God's word for ourselves, and pray for the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit.

It is a blessing to realize the angels are for the salvation of mankind, and protecting us. The quotation from todays reading struck my heart. The pattern for a close walk with God, and the perfection of our characters is seen here. As long as we trust in human guidance  and authority we will not come to have a saving relationship with Jesus, The only way is to surrender self to Him, is to pray and study the Word of God. Letting the Holy Spirit touch our hearts realizing heavenly angels are close by to those who have surrendered to Jesus and are seeking Him with a true and humble heart.

Amen Brother Philip!  The failure to do this is why as a people we remain in a Loadicean condition. Looking to man even though God sends teachers will not transform the character. It is the inspired Word that we can trust and depend upon!

There is so much in today's reading.  I was impressed with the statement Brother Philip shared and this one also:

It is contrition and faith and love that enable the soul to receive wisdom from heaven. Faith working by love is the key of knowledge, and everyone that loveth "knoweth God." 1 John 4:7.   
     The disciple John was a man of earnest and deep affection, ardent, yet contemplative. He had begun to discern the glory of Christ,--not the worldly pomp and power for which he had been taught to hope, but "the glory as of the Only-begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14. He was absorbed in contemplation of the wondrous theme.   

John's mind was working against what he had been taught. Even before conversion we are given a bit of faith, enough to lead us on as we are moved by the Spirit to investigate the truth. Some love the truth others do not. It is so much easier for those who want truth to become Christians than those who are not seeking truth. Remember the story of the woman at the well, she was living with a man outside of marriage, she was a Samaritan, but she was wanting truth, and in Christ she found it and her life was transformed then and there! She became an evangelist when she discovered the Messiah.

Dorine

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2021, 05:09:24 AM »
With the calling of John and Andrew and Simon, of Philip and Nathanael, began the foundation of the Christian church. John directed two of his disciples to Christ. Then one of these, Andrew, found his brother, and called him to the Saviour. Philip was then called, and he went in search of Nathanael. These examples should teach us the importance of personal effort, of making direct appeals to our kindred, friends, and neighbors. There are those who for a lifetime have professed to be acquainted with Christ, yet who have never made a personal effort to bring even one soul to the Saviour. They leave all the work for the minister. He may be well qualified for his calling, but he cannot do that which God has left for the members of the church. 

God has given us the special privilege of  working with Him for the salvation of souls. He uses us where we are. First in the family circle and then reaching out from there. Our love for Jesus will be a magnet to many as they witness every one of the fruits of the Spirit that reveal to all the beautiful attributes of Jesus.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2021, 06:49:47 AM »
"When the Spirit of God, with its marvelous awakening power, touches the soul, it abases human pride. Worldly pleasure and position and power are seen to be worthless. "Imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God" are cast down; every thought is brought into captivity "to the obedience of Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5. Then humility and self-sacrificing love, so little valued among men, are exalted as alone of worth..

..This is the work of the gospel, of which John's message was a part..

"There are many who need the ministration of loving Christian hearts. Many have gone down to ruin who might have been saved if their neighbors, common men and women, had put forth personal effort for them. Many are waiting to be personally addressed. In the very family, the neighborhood, the town, where we live,..

...There is work for us to do as missionaries for Christ..If we are Christians, this work will be our delight. Christians, this work will be our delight.

"No sooner is one converted than there is born within him a desire to make known to others what a precious friend he has found in Jesus. The saving and sanctifying truth cannot be shut up in his heart."

Matthew 28:18-20 contain our marching orders:
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen

If we are truly converted will not our hearts not burn with a strong desire to share the Good News with others?

Philip T

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2021, 07:04:42 AM »
Philip said to Nathanael, "Come and see." He did not ask him to accept another's testimony, but to behold Christ for himself. Now that Jesus has ascended to heaven, His disciples are His representatives among men, and one of the most effective ways of winning souls to Him is in exemplifying His character in our daily life. Our influence upon others depends not so much upon what we say as upon what we are. Men may combat and defy our logic, they may resist our appeals; but a life of disinterested love is an argument they cannot gainsay. A consistent life, characterized by the meekness of Christ, is a power in the world.

What a powerful statement is made in this paragraph, Philip invited Nathanael to come and see Jesus. Jesus is now in heaven. As His followers we should be changing daily on our walk of Sanctification, our character's being changed to be more and more like that of Jesus. Thus as others look at us they see Jesus Character shining forth as looking at the moon we see the light of the sun reflected to us.  This is one of the most powerful forms of witness we can have. If someone refuses to hear God's appeal to them through out spoken word.  Thus when family is resistant we can continue to witness for Christ though our daily lives as they observe us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2021, 07:20:27 AM »
Let us allow Jesus to fill us with His faith working by love--so all of us can reflect Christ to a world that needs to see that His grace is powerful enough to transform sinners into saints and keep us from falling by filling us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

It is contrition and faith and love that enable the soul to receive wisdom from heaven. Faith working by love is the key of knowledge, and everyone that loveth "knoweth God." 1 John 4:7. 

May we let love from Jesus move us in His will constantly!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2021, 07:52:13 AM »

"No sooner is one converted than there is born within him a desire to make known to others what a precious friend he has found in Jesus. The saving and sanctifying truth cannot be shut up in his heart."

Amen Brother Beacon!  No amount of teaching evangelism can do this. No need to reprove, rebuke, exhort, or bribe others to do the work entrusted to us as a people. No need to hire "experts" who hold doctorate degrees in religion. No, it is the heart change that will bring about true evangelists. It does not take a lifetime to learn. No, it happens at conversion when God cleanses the heart and and the repentant sinner becomes a partaker of God's divine nature, the greatest of all miracles! Such a powerful truth you have highlighted!!

There are many who need the ministration of loving Christian hearts. Many have gone down to ruin who might have been saved if their neighbors, common men and women, had put forth personal effort for them. Many are waiting to be personally addressed. In the very family, the neighborhood, the town, where we live, there is work for us to do as missionaries for Christ. If we are Christians, this work will be our delight. No sooner is one converted than there is born within him a desire to make known to others what a precious friend he has found in Jesus. The saving and sanctifying truth cannot be shut up in his heart.
     All who are consecrated to God will be channels of light. God makes them His agents to communicate to others the riches of His grace. His promise is, "I will make them and the places round about My hill a blessing; and I will cause the shower to come down in his season; there shall be showers of blessing." Ezekiel 34:26.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2021, 05:49:14 AM »
It is often the case that we do not see something standing in front of us. Don't we see more each time we study a chapter in Scripture? And, in Desire of ages. What do we see here that is often passed over?

John had not recognized the authority of the Sanhedrin by seeking their sanction for his work; and he had reproved rulers and people, Pharisees and Sadducees alike. Yet the people followed him eagerly. The interest in his work seemed to be continually increasing. Though he had not deferred to them, the Sanhedrin accounted that, as a public teacher, he was under their jurisdiction. 

This body was made up of members chosen from the priesthood, and from the chief rulers and teachers of the nation. The high priest was usually the president. All its members were to be men advanced in years, though not aged; men of learning, not only versed in Jewish religion and history, but in general knowledge. They were to be without physical blemish, and must be married men, and fathers, as being more likely than others to be humane and considerate. Their place of meeting was an apartment connected with the temple at Jerusalem. In the days of Jewish independence the Sanhedrin was the supreme court of the nation, possessing secular as well as ecclesiastical authority. Though now subordinated by the Roman governors, it still exercised a strong influence in civil as well as religious matters. 

This is how Israel became so far removed from truth. The leaders had a hold on the truth and after perverting it, who would dare present the truth in contradiction to the Sanhedron.  Do you also recognize they had strict requirements for membership? It was not a training school, it was those who had already been trained and were safe to be leaders in Israel. What do you think of their requirements that all must be fathers? That would leave out those who had no children. The Pharisees were strict adherents to the law. Would they circumvent the law to allow for some to be members of this august body of leaders? Then what happened to Saul the Persecutor's children? He was a member of the Sanhedron. Do you think it was possible that when he became a Christian he was denied access to his children? If so, God allowed this and it made Paul even the stronger having suffered greatly.

Is this true, that suffering will make one a stronger Christian? Is so, share some of the inspired truths that reveal this. It will be a blessing for you, others who read this, and for me.

Dorine

« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2021, 06:38:42 AM »
"If Nathanael had trusted to the rabbis for guidance, he would never have found Jesus. It was by seeing and judging for himself that he became a disciple. So in the case of many today whom prejudice withholds from good. How different would be the result if they would "come and see"!      
While they trust to the guidance of human authority, none will come to a saving knowledge of the truth. Like Nathanael, we need to study God's word for ourselves, and pray for the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit. He who saw Nathanael under the fig tree will see us in the secret place of prayer. Angels from the world of light are near to those who in humility seek for divine guidance."

As much as I appreciate and am blessed by many of our speakers whether in person or by DVD the only safe position is when we personally take our bible's, go to our knees in prayer asking for the enlightenment and guidance of the Holy Spirit testing for ourselves whether the things being said are completely scriptural.

Beacon

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2021, 07:35:31 AM »
" John directed two of his disciples to Christ. Then one of these, Andrew, found his brother, and called him to the Saviour. Philip was then called, and he went in search of Nathanael."

"These examples should teach us the importance of personal effort, of making direct appeals to our kindred, friends, and neighbors."

"There are those who for a lifetime have professed to be acquainted with Christ, yet who have never made a personal effort to bring even one soul to the Saviour. They leave all the work for the minister.

"He may be well qualified for his calling, but he cannot do that which God has left for the members of the church."

How can we say " NO" to Jesus who paid the Supreme Price for our Salvation --- Will we continue to Reject His offer of discipleship? When He come to take His children home will we hear the words " Well Done " or "Depart from me I never knew you?

"Hark! the voice of Jesus calling,
“Who will go and work today?
Fields are white, the harvest waiting,
Who will bear the sheaves away?”
Loud and long the Master calleth,
Rich reward He offers free;
Who will answer, gladly saying,
“Here am I, O Lord, send me”?

Philip T

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2021, 07:50:20 AM »
  And he who seeks to give light to others will himself be blessed. "There shall be showers of blessing." "He that watereth shall be watered also himself." Proverbs 11:25. God could have reached His object in saving sinners without our aid; but in order for us to develop a character like Christ's, we must share in His work. In order to enter into His joy,--the joy of seeing souls redeemed by His sacrifice,--we must participate in His labors for their redemption.

This is a truth we need to embrace, it id the fulfillment of accomplishing Jesus last commission to us in Matthew 28, we are transformed in character as we witness and bring others to Christ so the Holy Spirit can convict their minds, and transform their characters. As a caterpillar is transformed into a butterfly so is the character from one of the world to one of God. As I read this chapter this morning out on the porch by my flower beds, I watched a Monarch butterfly finishing this transformation on a Milk plant, as it's wing slowly grew in size as it pumped it wings. This brought this paragraph into focus, if we do not pump our faith and spread God's promises to those around us our faith will not grow. 

Beacon

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2021, 07:28:05 PM »
'Many have gone down to ruin who might have been saved if their neighbors, common men and women, had put forth personal effort for them.

Many are waiting to be personally addressed.
"

"In the very family, the neighborhood, the town, where we live, there is work for us to do as missionaries for Christ. If we are Christians, this work will be our delight."

"All who are consecrated to God will be channels of light. God makes them His agents to communicate to others the riches of His grace. His promise is,,,

"I will make them and the places round about My hill a blessing; and I will cause the shower to come down in his season; there shall be showers of blessing." Ezekiel 34:26.

Did you notice what a strong affirmative statement Jesus made about us being His channels of light??? Here it is once more and if our lives do not measure up to this statement, then perhaps we need to come again to the foot of the cross asking for power to forsake our sins so that we will be " His channel of light.'

The Bible encourages us to do a self examination to see if we be of the faith. God makes them His agents to communicate to others the riches of His grace.

Dorine

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2021, 05:32:05 AM »
"And he who seeks to give light to others will himself be blessed. "There shall be showers of blessing." "He that watereth shall be watered also himself." Proverbs 11:25. God could have reached His object in saving sinners without our aid; but in order for us to develop a character like Christ's, we must share in His work. In order to enter into His joy,--the joy of seeing souls redeemed by His sacrifice,--we must participate in His labors for their redemption."

How true this is. There is no joy like the joy of leading others to Christ and seeing them accept His sacrifice for them. It starts in the home and reaches outward as God leads us to those that are lost. May we never allow ourselves to become idle or stagnant. When we spend these precious moments each morning learning of Jesus and His methods we are compelled by love and compassion to reach out to all the suffering and needy; both physically and spiritually. We don't do it because we want to be blessed. We are blessed because by God's grace we want to do it.

Beacon

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2022, 08:11:26 PM »
"In the very family, the neighborhood, the town, where we live, there is work for us to do as missionaries for Christ."

"If we are Christians, this work will be our delight."

"No sooner is one converted than there is born within him a desire to make known to others what a precious friend he has found in Jesus."

"The saving and sanctifying truth cannot be shut up in his heart."

"All who are consecrated to God will be channels of light."

We are "ALL" called to be active laboring laborers for Jesus - Are we willing to say.. Here am I send me?

Hark! the voice of Jesus calling,
“Who will go and work today?
Fields are white, the harvest waiting,
Who will bear the sheaves away?”
Loud and long the Master calleth,
Rich reward He offers free;
Who will answer, gladly saying,
“Here am I, O Lord, send me”?

If you cannot cross the ocean
And the heathen lands explore,
You can find the heathen nearer,
You can help them at your door;
If you cannot speak like angels,
If you cannot preach like Paul,
You can tell the love of Jesus,
You can say He died for all.

If you cannot be the watchman,
Standing high on Zion’s wall,
Pointing out the path to heaven,
Offering life and peace to all;
With your prayers and with your bounties
You can do what Heaven demands,
You can be like faithful Aaron,
Holding up the prophet’s hands.

While the souls of men are dying,
And the Master calls for you,
Let none hear you idly saying,
“There is nothing I can do!”
Gladly take the task He gives you,
Let His work your pleasure be;
Answer quickly when He calleth,
“Here am I, O Lord, send me.”

Words & Music by Daniel March & F.E. Belden

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2022, 09:38:22 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

By beholding the loveliness of Jesus and becoming like Him, for by beholding we become changed, our lives will have an influence on others as we point them to the One who gave all for us. As our characters reflect all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we choose to be vitally connected to Christ in true conversion, we are empowered through Christ to obey the law of God from the new heart He gives us!

"The teaching of Christ was the expression of an inwrought conviction and experience, and those who learn of Him become teachers after the divine order. The word of God, spoken by one who is himself sanctified through it, has a life-giving power that makes it attractive to the hearers, and convicts them that it is a living reality. When one has received the truth in the love of it, he will make this manifest in the persuasion of his manner and the tones of his voice. He makes known that which he himself has heard, seen, and handled of the word of life, that others may have fellowship with him through the knowledge of Christ. His testimony, from lips touched with a live coal from off the altar, is truth to the receptive heart, and works sanctification upon the character." {The Desire of Ages, page 142, paragraph 1}

So it may be with us. What a blessing to go forth as witnesses like Christ! He is able to do more than we ask or think by the power of the Holy Spirit!