Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--12--The Temptation  (Read 32696 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--12--The Temptation
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
I am so thankful for Jesus—His victory is ours through continual communion and union of the soul with Him!

“The prince of this world cometh,” said Jesus, “and hath nothing in Me.” John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan’s sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ’s humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character. – {The Desire of Ages, page 123, paragraph 3}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2017, 10:25:16 PM »
Amen!  When we give all to Christ, we are no longer in bondage to Satan and sin. Jesus gives us enmity towards Satan and sin. We are no longer aligned with him, but with God.

As I read this morning, I discovered something I had misunderstood before. It has to do with the character of Christ. Some teach that Jesus was just like us. :(  He was not. He was God, we are not. We may be partakers of His divine nature, but that does not make us God. Jesus bore the sins of the whole world. How about you? Are you able to bear more than your own sins? We cannot even bear our own. Look at this:

Many look on this conflict between Christ and Satan as having no special bearing on their own life; and for them it has little interest. But within the domain of every human heart this controversy is repeated. Never does one leave the ranks of evil for the service of God without encountering the assaults of Satan. The enticements which Christ resisted were those that we find it so difficult to withstand. They were urged upon Him in as much greater degree as His character is superior to ours. With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us. 

Notice that Christ was tempted at a higher level than we are or ever will be. It is true that He was God when He was tempted. I knew that, but look again. It was His character that allowed Him to be tempted at such a high level.  :)  There is a lesson here for us. And, one that will protect us from the Omega of Apostasy which is in the church today.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2018, 06:20:57 AM »
Amen! Christ was not "just like us," He was God in the "likeness of sinful flesh." He carried the sins of the whole world. We cannot carry our own sins. This is not an excuse for sin, for Christ gave us an example of perfect obedience which we may have if we will love Him with the whole heart. He will make us partakers of His divine nature and empower us to keep His law. The Holy Spirit will take possession of the heart and bring with Him every one of the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing. As Christ overcame the temptations in the wilderness, so may we.

The glory and peace of heaven, and the joy of communion with God, were but dimly comprehended by men; but they were well known to Lucifer, the covering cherub. Since he had lost heaven, he was determined to find revenge by causing others to share his fall. This he would do by causing them to undervalue heavenly things, and to set the heart upon things of earth. 

How does Satan work to deceive man?  He works to cause us to undervalue heavenly things. What does this mean? Think about it. What does God offer sinful man? What does sinful man want instead? Why? What is wrong with sinners that they would choose a mess of pottage over the things of heaven? Selfishness would dictate that man would choose the greater gift offered by God, but we find that the sinner most often chooses the lesser gift, the mess of pottage. Why? What must the sinner do in order to resist the temptations that so easily beset us that would cause us to lose heaven?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »
"Often the tempter comes to us as he came to Christ, arraying before us our weakness and infirmities. He hopes to discourage the soul, and to break our hold on God. Then he is sure of his prey. If we would meet him as Jesus did, we should escape many a defeat. By parleying with the enemy, we give him an advantage.

......The Saviour now practiced the lesson He had taught to Israel. By the word of God succor had been given to the Hebrew host, and by the same word it would be given to Jesus.

....He testified that it is a less calamity to suffer whatever may befall than to depart in any manner from the will of God.
When we learn the power of His word, we shall not follow the suggestions of Satan in order to obtain food or to save our lives. Our only questions will be, What is God's command? and what His promise? Knowing these, we shall obey the one, and trust the other."

Then this one stood out to me loud and clear....

"Of all the lessons to be learned from our Lord's first great temptation none is more important than that bearing upon the control of the appetites and passions. In all ages, temptations appealing to the physical nature have been most effectual in corrupting and degrading mankind. Through intemperance, Satan works to destroy the mental and moral powers that God gave to man as a priceless endowment. Thus it becomes impossible for men to appreciate things of eternal worth. Through sensual indulgence, Satan seeks to blot from the soul every trace of likeness to God."

We must guard the avenues of our soul. Temptations come in through our senses. When we accept Jesus as our Saviour and give Him our whole heart, He works with us to bring victory in our lives over every temptation.

I have a small illustration of an experience I had many years ago over a very strong indulgence I once had. While working at the University I would take my lunch to a lovely public park a short block from where I worked. It was a lovely time to reflect on God's goodness, pray, relax from the stress of the office and sometimes meet family and friends that lived or worked near by.  There were two routes I could take. The short one past all the shops or the long one through ugly, boring back streets that took time from my precious lunch hour. Naturally I would take the short one.

There was one problem with that. I had an addiction to D.Q. ice cream and there was one right on the corner adjacent to the park. I looked forward to stopping by on my way back to the office for a cone.  This became a daily habit and I was convicted that this was wrong. I asked God to help me resist this temptation. Every day I'd be strong on the way to the park but on the return my resolve would weaken and I would end up with an ice cream cone.

Finally I knew that if I was serious about this I had two choices. I could stop going to the park or take the long route which had no such temptations and I would enter at another gate of the park without sight of the D.Q.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but once making the choice to take the long route God was with me and it became easier and easier until I was finally free of that temptation. I did yield a couple of times but my conscience wouldn't let me enjoy them.  Over time I was able to go past any DQ and just smile and praise God for what He was able to do for me when I was willing to do what I could to cooperate with Him.

Most people just smile and think it a silly fanatical thing. To me it was huge. And He continues to work with me every day. I am a work in progress and it's never Him that fails me but me that fails Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2018, 06:30:54 AM »
Amen dear sister! Thank you for sharing that testimony of the power of God to transform our character when we give the whole heart to him. As we read through this wonderful book, day by day, we see a theme continually being revealed. It is both the love and the power of God, and our sinfulness and our great need of His love and power. It takes time to learn these truths. As we spend a thoughtful hour each day, we come to see our fallen nature as evil, and that we can do no good thing in and of ourselves.

We continually are seeing the lesson repeated over and over. We see our evil nature and our inability to obey God from the heart. But through God's love and by being united with His divinity, we are empowered to obey every command God has given. But, Satan has stolen a march on God's Church. How many really believe that we are evil by nature, and can do no good thing unless fully surrendered to Jesus? How many believe that they may eat something that God has told us is harmful, and retain our salvation? How many are taught that we may sin a known sin and retain our salvation? Over and over and over, we read that when we disobey a known truth, we do not have Christ abiding in the heart. It is through the Holy Spirit, who comes into the heart when we give it to Christ. It is through the Holy Spirit that we become partakers of God's divine nature and escape the lust that is in the flesh.

When we love Christ with all the heart, then we have eternal life, then we have salvation. When we sin, Christ is not in the heart. Do we think if we do not learn to trust fully in God now, that in the end we shall have power to escape the great trials awaiting us?

When we learn the power of His word, we shall not follow the suggestions of Satan in order to obtain food or to save our lives. Our only questions will be, What is God's command? and what His promise? Knowing these, we shall obey the one, and trust the other.

In the last great conflict of the controversy with Satan those who are loyal to God will see every earthly support cut off. Because they refuse to break His law in obedience to earthly powers, they will be forbidden to buy or sell. It will finally be decreed that they shall be put to death.

And what is the result of our "little" sin? We support Satan's claim that we cannot obey God.

Many look on this conflict between Christ and Satan as having no special bearing on their own life; and for them it has little interest. But within the domain of every human heart this controversy is repeated. Never does one leave the ranks of evil for the service of God without encountering the assaults of Satan. The enticements which Christ resisted were those that we find it so difficult to withstand. They were urged upon Him in as much greater degree as His character is superior to ours. With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us. Satan had pointed to Adam's sin as proof that God's law was unjust, and could not be obeyed.

So it is with us. When we eat that which we know is injurious, we too deny Jesus His reward for all He suffered. What is His reward? It is to see His character reflected in our lives. Let us not deny Jesus His reward today. This we may do if we will learn of Him and love Him with the whole heart.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 07:00:12 AM »
“And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread. And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God” (Luke 4:3-4).

As I went for my morning prayer exercise time, I saw a stone along the dirt road that reminded me of what the devil might have pointed to in his temptation of Christ. Maybe our “stone” is an injurious food (or too much of it) that we try to rationalize as being “okay” when we know God would not have us eat it. Do we have perfect peace in the heart when we yield to temptation? No—only Christ in the heart by full surrender, by living faith, can give us true peace, and all the fruits of Spirit without one missing! I praise God that Jesus did not yield to temption even by a thought. He chose to rely implicitly on God’s word, as we may do in order to remain abiding in God’s love, rather than consent to sin.

“Jesus met Satan with the words of Scripture. “It is written,” He said. In every temptation the weapon of His warfare was the word of God. Satan demanded of Christ a miracle as a sign of His divinity. But that which is greater than all miracles, a firm reliance upon a ‘Thus saith the Lord,’ was a sign that could not be controverted. So long as Christ held to this position, the tempter could gain no advantage.”  {The Desire of Ages, page 120, paragraph 1}

Let’s walk in the greatest miracle God has for us—a firm reliance on His word—no matter how we feel. Will you join me in experiencing this power of grace in your life? Jesus offers all His strength to us by His word! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2018, 05:05:05 AM »
"So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character.     

And how this is accomplished, Christ has shown us. By what means did He overcome in the conflict with Satan? By the word of God. Only by the word could He resist temptation. "It is written," He said. And unto us are given "exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4. Every promise in God's word is ours. "By every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" are we to live. When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word. All its strength is yours. "Thy word," says the psalmist, "have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." "By the word of Thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer." Psalm 119:11; 17:4."

Doesn't this bring such courage to your soul? What strength is ours in overcoming temptation when we are connected to the vine Jesus. As we commit scripture to memory we can carry it with us throughout the day and be ready as Jesus was to overcome the strongest urges to disobey. God is speaking to us in His word. He does not lie. May we claim and believe His promises so that we may come to the end of this day thanking God for victories won.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2018, 05:32:31 AM »
Amen, Dorine! We can overcome in the great conflict with the world, the flesh, and the devil by the power of prayer and a firm reliance upon God's promises in His word. As we contemplate the infinite loveliness of God's character as manifest in Jesus, we can rest in His love and overcome whatever may come to us in the form of strong and subtle temptations to disobey God's word. Let us look unto Jesus and realize His victory in us by continually cleaving to Him in an active faith working by love, a faith that makes manifest that the Holy Spirit abides in us to reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.' Often the follower of Christ is brought where he cannot serve God and carry forward his worldly enterprises. Perhaps it appears that obedience to some plain requirement of God will cut off his means of support. Satan would make him believe that he must sacrifice his conscientious convictions. But the only thing in our world upon which we can rely is the word of God. 'Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.' Matthew 6:33. Even in this life it is not for our good to depart from the will of our Father in heaven. When we learn the power of His word, we shall not follow the suggestions of Satan in order to obtain food or to save our lives. Our only questions will be, What is God's command? and what His promise? Knowing these, we shall obey the one, and trust the other." {The Desire of Ages, page 121, paragraph 2}

I had a conversation with a friend on Sabbath about how when God tells us to do something, and we think we want something else, we have to ask, "Am I wiser than God?" Let us remember who we are serving--the God of the universe who makes provision for the birds of the air and knows our needs. Jesus did not die from the conflict in the wilderness--rather, He came forth strengthened to fulfill His mission. Let us thank and praise God for the opportunities He gives us in trying circumstances to develop a stronger character by the power of the divine nature that is able to keep the clamors of our fallen nature under, so Christ can reveal His glory and the great controversy may come to a final end. What does God so desire to do, and what has He promised to do before Jesus comes? "God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character." {The Desire of Ages, page 123, paragraph 2}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2018, 05:48:57 AM »
But that which is greater than all miracles, a firm reliance upon a "Thus saith the Lord," was a sign that could not be controverted. So long as Christ held to this position, the tempter could gain no advantage.

Without going back to look it might very well be that I've singled this sentence out before. Why? because I remember the first time it made an impression upon me and each time I read it, it impresses me more. This morning as I thought and pondered on this I came to the conclusion that if nothing else this shows that it behooves to become familiar with the Word of God. Miracles come and go (not denying their power), and we may or may not get one if/when we pray for one in difficult circumstances. However, God's Word is forever and always has been, is now, and always be truth that we can always put our trust in. A sure foundation!

One other thought/comment/question?

The uncontrolled indulgence and consequent disease and degradation that existed at Christ's first advent will again exist, with intensity of evil, before His second coming. Christ declares that the condition of the world will be as in the days before the Flood, and as in Sodom and Gomorrah. Every imagination of the thoughts of the heart will be evil continually. Upon the very verge of that fearful time we are now living, and to us should come home the lesson of the Saviour's fast.

The phrase "will exist again" has had me thinking in the past. Does this imply that Christ's first Advent has stayed and/or checked evil in it's place for a while. Did His presence in this world have so a great an influence that the condition of humanity was put into a better place for a while and now we are seeing the same conditions again that there were when Christ first appeared?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2018, 07:30:57 AM »
That's a good question Jim. I had not seen this before. I think there are two parts to the statement. First that as you see, we are told that that condition will again be present before the second coming. But, added to that we see that it will be with intensity. That doesn't do away with the idea that somehow in between then and now things got better and return to that state of affairs.

This requires a bit of study. How could things be better? Well, what was the situation at Jesus first coming? They were pretty bad, because Satan had not only deceived the world, but God's chosen people! When the church is deceived and it is rotten to the core, what do we expectant to see in society? So when Jesus came, what did He leave behind? His church, the light of the world. So God is holding the winds back, pouring out His Spirit upon those who love him with all the heart, and yes there has been a wonderful influence in the world since the first coming of Christ.

The intensity that's being spoken of, we understand by the words of Jesus who said the condition of the world would be as it was at the time of Noah, just before His second coming. That's worse than it was at the time of Christ. And, it brings us to the reality that this is the world that we are living in today. If we want evidence that Jesus is coming soon, all we have to do is look around. Good is called evil, and evil is called good. The horrible condition of society is a good indication that the coming of Christ is drawing near!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »
Most often our interest in this chapter focuses on the temptation, and rightfully so.  But, that does not mean there are not many other lessons for us. This morning I recognized something that might spark a thought in one who does not quite understand what Satan has succeeded at and what he is up to.

Many look on this conflict between Christ and Satan as having no special bearing on their own life; and for them it has little interest. But within the domain of every human heart this controversy is repeated.

This could easily be the case if one is in a Laodicean condition thinking all is well, when in fact all is not well. Let's see what we are told in this respect.

Mighty issues for the world were at stake in the conflict between the Prince of light and the leader of the kingdom of darkness. After tempting man to sin, Satan claimed the earth as his, and styled himself the prince of this world. Having conformed to his own nature the father and mother of our race, he thought to establish here his empire. He declared that men had chosen him as their sovereign. Through his control of men, he held dominion over the world. Christ had come to disprove Satan's claim. As the Son of man, Christ would stand loyal to God. Thus it would be shown that Satan had not gained complete control of the human race, and that his claim to the world was false. All who desired deliverance from his power would be set free. The dominion that Adam had lost through sin would be recovered. 

What does it mean to be set free? And, who needs to be set free? If we do not understand this, then what does the temptation of Christ in the wilderness mean. Because of false teachings, some believe we come into the world not needing to be set free. They do not realize that the enmity spoken of in Genesis 3:15 is a hatred of sin, and the reason why He promises this is because all of humanity lacks it before making a full heart surrender to Christ. It is then that this hated of sin is implanted in the heart. But, it remains there only as long as does the Holy Spirit.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2018, 09:59:20 AM »
Amen, Jim and Richard! God's word is what we can rely upon no matter what our circumstances may look like. We also, like Jesus, pass through seasons of temptation and we need to realize that in order to withstand even one sin or do one good thing, we must be fully surrendered to Christ and have the Holy Spirit abiding in our souls so that we have the promised enmity spoken of in Genesis 3:15. Our continual need of Jesus is infinite--and thankfully He will fully satisfy every soul who comes to Him!

"When Jesus entered the wilderness, He was shut in by the Father's glory. Absorbed in communion with God, He was lifted above human weakness. But the glory departed, and He was left to battle with temptation. It was pressing upon Him every moment. His human nature shrank from the conflict that awaited Him. For forty days He fasted and prayed. Weak and emaciated from hunger, worn and haggard with mental agony, 'His visage was so marred more than any man, and His form more than the sons of men.' Isaiah 52:14. Now was Satan's opportunity. Now he supposed that he could overcome Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 118, paragraph 1}

But Satan did not overcome Christ, and he need not overcome you or me if we have learned what Christ learned--to firmly rely upon the word of God regardless of all circumstances!

Beacon

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »
"The prince of this world cometh,” said Jesus, “and hath nothing in Me.” John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan’s sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ’s humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us.[/b] God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character." {DA 123.3}

There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan’s sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Why was it that nothing in Jesus responded to Satan's sophistry?? It was because He spent much time with His father in pray and study of the Word....Jesus had put on the "whole Armour of God " Are we following the pattern???

"And how this is accomplished, Christ has shown us. By what means did He overcome in the conflict with Satan? By the word of God. Only by the word could He resist temptation. “It is written,” He said. And unto us are given “exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.” 2 Peter 1:4. Every promise in God’s word is ours“By every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God” are we to live. When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word. All its strength is yours. Thy word,” says the psalmist, “have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee.” “By the word of Thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.” Psalm 119:11; 17:4.[/b] {DA 123.4}"

When I was attending university one of my professor's had a motto at the top of his black board which said.... "HE WHO FAILS TO PREPARE - PREPARES TO FAIL."  I believe this holds true if we are desiring and expecting to be successful in meeting our spiritual adversary- Don't You?? 
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2019, 06:44:27 AM »
Amen, Beacon!

Jesus' victory is ours as we abide in Him by a living faith surrender so that His character is wrought out in us--all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives without one missing as through Him we experience humble, trusting obedience!

"'The prince of this world cometh,' said Jesus, 'and hath nothing in Me.' John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character." {The Desire of Ages, page 123, paragraph 3}

What a blessing to have Jesus giving us victory over every besetting thought that contradicts His word!

Dorine

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2019, 07:46:25 AM »
"Jesus met Satan with the words of Scripture. "It is written," He said. In every temptation the weapon of His warfare was the word of God. Satan demanded of Christ a miracle as a sign of His divinity. But that which is greater than all miracles, a firm reliance upon a "Thus saith the Lord," was a sign that could not be controverted. So long as Christ held to this position, the tempter could gain no advantage."

And the same is true for each one of us. If we are not reading and studying our bibles every day how will we meet the daily temptations that come to us? As we read what Jesus endured so that we might have life how can anyone take this battle with evil so lightly?

I'm so thankful for the record of Jesus' life because it gives me such hope for today and my future. His promises are true. I feel the battle. I have battle scars from the times I didn't trust in Jesus. But He did not cast me aside. My carnal nature is still striving to take control but with each days surrender God keeps me in His care and protects me from falling. If I take my eyes off Jesus He patiently waits for me to call out like Peter; Jesus save me. What a miraculous Saviour we serve.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »
Amen, dear Sister!  But, while waiting on us to cry out, He is calling to us to come back, for He loves us so!

This morning I noticed something important that I have not paid much attention to. It is the same paragraph Beacon and Pastor Sean have commented on.

"The prince of this world cometh," said Jesus, "and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character. 

We can't go to far with this, but notice that Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit. It is through the Spirit that we are connected to Christ. It was through the Spirit that Jesus was connected with His Father.  It is through the Spirit that we become partakers of God's diviine nature. It was the revelation of the character of His Father that moved Jesus to obedience. It was the Holy Spirit revealing this. The pieces begin to fit together nicely. There is more, but we need to take care we do not go too far. Jesus was always divine. He was aways God. But, there are mysteries we shall never understand. What do I take away from this? My contnual need of the indwelling Spirit, for my Lord needed this also. How more do I!

Beacon

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
"In our own strength it is impossible for us to deny the clamors of our fallen nature. Through this channel Satan will bring temptation upon us. Christ knew that the enemy would come to every human being, to take advantage of hereditary weakness, and by his false insinuations to ensnare all whose trust is not in God. And by passing over the ground which man must travel, our Lord has prepared the way for us to overcome. It is not His will that we should be placed at a disadvantage in the conflict with Satan. He would not have us intimidated and discouraged by the assaults of the serpent. “Be of good cheer,” He says; “I have overcome the world.” John 16:33. {DA 122.3

"Let him who is struggling against the power of appetite look to the Saviour in the wilderness of temptation. See Him in His agony upon the cross, as He exclaimed, “I thirst.” He has endured all that it is possible for us to bear. His victory is ours. "{DA 123.1}

Are we are willing to spend a thoughtful hour per day with Jesus?  If there was ever a time when this is necessary  - IT IS NOW!! We live in a very, very fast paced world filled with many distractions that can, if we allow them, take us away from time needed to charge up our spiritual batteries. Over and over again we have been warned that " WITH OUT JESUS WE CAN DO NOTHING." 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2019, 03:27:46 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! We need daily time with Jesus so that the connection with Him is made strong with faith, love and a deep imbuing of His Spirit. God wants us so fortified by union and communion with Him, that we will not fall for the subtle and fierce temptations of Satan that assail us when we are in trial and difficulty. Oh, may we learn from the experience of Jesus (who was victorious always, and offers us great encouragement) and the experience of Moses and Elijah (which we may regard as beacons of warning of what not to do under force of temptation). Let us realize our CONTINUAL need of Jesus to do any good thing, and that as we surrender the whole heart to Christ, He renews it with pure and holy motives and fills us with all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing! What joy we may have even in the most trying experiences if we maintain the living connection with Christ!

"It was in the time of greatest weakness that Christ was assailed by the fiercest temptations. Thus Satan thought to prevail. By this policy he had gained the victory over men. When strength failed, and the will power weakened, and faith ceased to repose in God, then those who had stood long and valiantly for the right were overcome. Moses was wearied with the forty years' wandering of Israel, when for the moment his faith let go its hold upon infinite power. He failed just upon the borders of the Promised Land. So with Elijah, who had stood undaunted before King Ahab, who had faced the whole nation of Israel, with the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal at their head. After that terrible day upon Carmel, when the false prophets had been slain, and the people had declared their allegiance to God, Elijah fled for his life before the threats of the idolatrous Jezebel. Thus Satan has taken advantage of the weakness of humanity. And he will still work in the same way. Whenever one is encompassed with clouds, perplexed by circumstances, or afflicted by poverty or distress, Satan is at hand to tempt and annoy. He attacks our weak points of character. He seeks to shake our confidence in God, who suffers such a condition of things to exist. We are tempted to distrust God, to question His love. Often the tempter comes to us as he came to Christ, arraying before us our weakness and infirmities. He hopes to discourage the soul, and to break our hold on God. Then he is sure of his prey. If we would meet him as Jesus did, we should escape many a defeat. By parleying with the enemy, we give him an advantage." {The Desire of Ages, page 120, paragraph 2}

I love Jesus and I truly want to experience His victory today. If it is your desire to let Christ give you His victory moment-by-moment, would you simply offer up to Him a prayer of surrender so He can work out His will in your life? There is no greater joy than to be in the center of the will of God!   

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »
"The pleasures of the world, life's cares and perplexities and sorrows, the faults of others, or your own faults and imperfections—to any or all of these Satan will seek to divert the mind. Do not be misled by his devices."

"Many who are really conscientious, and who desire to live for God, Satan too often leads to dwell upon their own faults and weaknesses, and thus by separating them from Christ he hopes to gain the victory. We should not make self the center and indulge anxiety and fear as to whether we shall be saved. All this turns the soul away from the Source of our strength."

"Commit the keeping of your soul to God, and trust in Him. Talk and think of Jesus. Let self be lost in Him. Put away all doubt; dismiss your fears."

Say with the apostle Paul, “I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20.

Rest in God. He is able to keep that which you have committed to Him. If you will leave yourself in His hands, He will bring you off more than conqueror through Him that has loved you.

Dorine

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2019, 05:45:25 AM »
So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character.      

And how this is accomplished, Christ has shown us. By what means did He overcome in the conflict with Satan? By the word of God. Only by the word could He resist temptation. "It is written," He said. And unto us are given "exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4. Every promise in God's word is ours. "By every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" are we to live. When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word. All its strength is yours.

I am truly thankful that God has given us a way of escape from every temptation that comes to us.  I'm also very thankful for His mercy in forgiving us when we ask. Every time I read about the life of Jesus I am strengthened and convicted to draw even closer to Him. There is power in the word of God. This chapter has reminded us again of the vital importance of staying connected to God and spending that thoughtful hour each day in His word and in prayer. I love the texts that ends our chapter. They bring me calm assurance as I walk with God today. "Thy word," says the psalmist, "have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." "By the word of Thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer." Psalm 119:11; 17:4.