Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--12--The Temptation  (Read 32715 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--12--The Temptation
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2019, 06:22:47 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine. Here is the battle between good and evil. We are either captive to the law of sin and death, or we have been set free from it. It is by beholding God's grace, His unmerited favor in taking our sins upon Himself that we are transformed. The Word is a revelation of the character of our God and the character of the evil one. For 4,000 years humanity has been degrading. Our Savior took our fallen nature and overcame sin as we may overcome sin.

Mighty issues for the world were at stake in the conflict between the Prince of light and the leader of the kingdom of darkness. After tempting man to sin, Satan claimed the earth as his, and styled himself the prince of this world. Having conformed to his own nature the father and mother of our race, he thought to establish here his empire. He declared that men had chosen him as their sovereign. Through his control of men, he held dominion over the world. Christ had come to disprove Satan's claim. As the Son of man, Christ would stand loyal to God. Thus it would be shown that Satan had not gained complete control of the human race, and that his claim to the world was false. All who desired deliverance from his power would be set free. The dominion that Adam had lost through sin would be recovered.
     Since the announcement to the serpent in Eden, "I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed" (Genesis 3:15),

When Adam sinned, it was seen that Satan had "conformed to his own nature the father and mother of our race." The Father of all lies continues to work in the same manner he had when he deceived Eve. He works to deceive man as to the character of our God. Did he not attempt the same even with Jesus when in the wilderness?  We ought to know better since it has all been laid out before us. We are to understand that the promise of being transformed from sinner into saint was given in the Garden when God told Satan that He would put "enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed." Genesis 3:15.

We have no enmity towards Satan and sin until the promise is fulfilled. At great expense God has provided a remedy for our evil nature. If we would spend that thoughtful hour each day contemplating the life of Christ, we would fall in love with the Savior. Then, we would not crucify Him afresh.

"The pleasures of the world, life's cares and perplexities and sorrows, the faults of others, or your own faults and imperfections—to any or all of these Satan will seek to divert the mind. Do not be misled by his devices."

Amen, Brother Beacon! Satan does not want us to spend time beholding God. He has learned that Genesis 3:15 works. God will give us hatred for sin if we will see what it did to our Savior!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2019, 02:09:34 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard!! Happy Sabbath!!

“Not without a struggle could Jesus listen in silence to the arch-deceiver. But the Son of God was not to prove His divinity to Satan, or to explain the reason of His humiliation. By conceding to the demands of the rebel, nothing for the good of man or the glory of God would be gained. Had Christ complied with the suggestion of the enemy, Satan would still have said, Show me a sign that I may believe you to be the Son of God. Evidence would have been worthless to break the power of rebellion in his heart. And Christ was not to exercise divine power for His own benefit. He had come to bear trial as we must do, leaving us an example of faith and submission. Neither here nor at any subsequent time in His earthly life did He work a miracle in His own behalf. His wonderful works were all for the good of others. Though Jesus recognized Satan from the beginning, He was not provoked to enter into controversy with him. Strengthened with the memory of the voice from heaven, He rested in His Father's love. He would not parley with temptation.” {The Desire of Ages, page 119, paragraph 3}

Where are we to go when tempted? We need to behold the loveliness of Jesus, and we shall find help and support. As we spend this “thoughtful hour” contemplating Jesus’ words and life, the memory of those words strengthens us for the trials we will face! We may then continually rest in our Father’s love and live victoriously by abiding in continual surrender of our will—our whole heart and mind—to Jesus! Then the fruits of genuine conversion—the fruits of the Spirit without one missing—will become richer and more abundant!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2019, 02:53:16 PM »
"Whenever one is encompassed with clouds, perplexed by circumstances, or afflicted by poverty or distress, Satan is at hand to tempt and annoy. He attacks our weak points of character. He seeks to shake our confidence in God, who suffers such a condition of things to exist. We are tempted to distrust God, to question His love. Often the tempter comes to us as he came to Christ, arraying before us our weakness and infirmities. He hopes to discourage the soul, and to break our hold on God. Then he is sure of his prey."

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus - Look Full in His Wonderful Face and the Things of Earth will grow Strangely Dim - In the Light of His Glory & Grace

Like David of old....We must look heavenward to see Our Mighty God....David didn't look at Goliath. He looked Heavenward and saw an Awesome God who was ABLE to conquer and by FAITH & TRUST in his God, David conquered the giant Philistine and Freed Israel from bondage. Do you have giants in your life that seem impossible to conquer? Jesus invites us to Look Up and Believe that His Power is Greater than any Evil Force to free us!!  Once again I like to share these awesome two passages for your encouragement not to listen to the voice of Satan because Jesus defeated Satan on the Cross and His victory assures us that if we keep our eyes fixed upon Him by Faith we will share in that victory when He comes to take us home to Glory
1 Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O Lord is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Matthew 28:17-20  "And when they saw him, they worshiped him: but some doubted. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2019, 03:17:44 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  Some excuse Thomas' doubting. But, to doubt the Word of God is to be a false witness. Instead of doubting, we are to witness our faith in God and His Word.

God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character.
     And how this is accomplished, Christ has shown us. By what means did He overcome in the conflict with Satan? By the word of God. Only by the word could He resist temptation. "It is written," He said. And unto us are given "exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4. Every promise in God's word is ours. "By every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" are we to live. When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word. All its strength is yours. "Thy word," says the psalmist, "have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." "By the word of Thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer." Psalm 119:11; 17:4. 

To doubt is to reveal "unbelief." And there is no greater sin than unbelief. Faith in what God has said is the result of knowing God, intimately knowing Him as a personal Savior. And, this is attained to as a result of spending time with Jesus, in beholding His grace.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2019, 05:15:33 AM »
In our own strength it is impossible for us to deny the clamors of our fallen nature. Through this channel Satan will bring temptation upon us. Christ knew that the enemy would come to every human being, to take advantage of hereditary weakness, and by his false insinuations to ensnare all whose trust is not in God. And by passing over the ground which man must travel, our Lord has prepared the way for us to overcome. It is not His will that we should be placed at a disadvantage in the conflict with Satan. He would not have us intimidated and discouraged by the assaults of the serpent. "Be of good cheer," He says; "I have overcome the world." John 16:33.

As I reflect on this passage this morning I am uplifted and encouraged to be reminded of what Jesus and all of heaven went through to save a sinner like me. As I'm reminded that in my own strength it is impossible to deny my carnal nature I cling to the One who gives me the victory over every sin when I surrender to Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2020, 03:59:56 AM »
"Let him who is struggling against the power of appetite look to the Saviour in the wilderness of temptation. See Him in His agony upon the cross, as He exclaimed, "I thirst." He has endured all that it is possible for us to bear. His victory is ours."

I thank God for His promises to give me victory over the nagging of the flesh. It may be strong but His power is stronger. We must simply and decidedly cling to Him and not take our eyes off Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2020, 04:44:31 AM »
"So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character. How this is accomplished, Christ has shown us. By what means did He overcome in the conflict with Satan? By the word of God. Only by the word could He resist temptation. "It is written," He said.

And unto us are given "exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4.

"Every promise in God's word is ours. "By every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" are we to live. When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word."

"All its strength is ours."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »
Day after day, we are reading a message from God. What does He want us to know? Why did Jesus come here in person? For what purpose? Every day the message is made more clear. Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon have seen and every day we read the same thing presented in many different ways.

In our own strength it is impossible for us to deny the clamors of our fallen nature. Through this channel Satan will bring temptation upon us. Christ knew that the enemy would come to every human being, to take advantage of hereditary weakness, and by his false insinuations to ensnare all whose trust is not in God. And by passing over the ground which man must travel, our Lord has prepared the way for us to overcome. It is not His will that we should be placed at a disadvantage in the conflict with Satan. He would not have us intimidated and discouraged by the assaults of the serpent. "Be of good cheer," He says; "I have overcome the world." John 16:33.
     Let him who is struggling against the power of appetite look to the Saviour in the wilderness of temptation. See Him in His agony upon the cross, as He exclaimed, "I thirst." He has endured all that it is possible for us to bear. His victory is ours. 

And:

So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character.
     And how this is accomplished, Christ has shown us. By what means did He overcome in the conflict with Satan? By the word of God. Only by the word could He resist temptation. "It is written," He said. And unto us are given "exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4. Every promise in God's word is ours.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Beacon, and Brother Richard!

What a blessing that we are able to overcome the way Jesus did!! By the word of God so not even by a though will we yield to temptation!

"'The prince of this world cometh,' said Jesus, 'and hath nothing in Me.' John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character." {The Desire of Ages, page 123, paragraph 3}

Let us walk in victory today, abiding in Christ, and revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2020, 10:14:17 AM »
When we realize the true value of eternal things, our lives will begin to truly look like Jesus' life! We get to surrender our whole heart to Christ and allow Him to fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, walking in happy obedience to His law of love! Jesus valued heavenly things, so His focus was communion with the Father and building intentional relationships with His disciples. Before His public ministry began in full force, He was called by the Spirit to the wilderness to contemplate His mission. But Satan was seeking to not only have Jesus fall by temptation, but wanted as many people as possible to be lost by placing an improper focus on temporal things over that which is spiritual and eternal. May we today learn to put the word of God ahead of every other interest in our lives so it can shape how we relate to the people in our sphere of influence!

"At the birth of Jesus, Satan knew that One had come with a divine commission to dispute his dominion. He trembled at the angel's message attesting the authority of the newborn King. Satan well knew the position that Christ had held in heaven as the Beloved of the Father. That the Son of God should come to this earth as a man filled him with amazement and with apprehension. He could not fathom the mystery of this great sacrifice. His selfish soul could not understand such love for the deceived race. The glory and peace of heaven, and the joy of communion with God, were but dimly comprehended by men; but they were well known to Lucifer, the covering cherub. Since he had lost heaven, he was determined to find revenge by causing others to share his fall. This he would do by causing them to undervalue heavenly things, and to set the heart upon things of earth." {The Desire of Ages, page 115, paragraph 2} 

Let us pray earnestly that God will protect us from the subtle, deceptive and all-to-easy trap of making the things of this earth more important than the things of eternity. As were better realize what is truly important, we will be willing to be anything or nothing for God as His providence shall indicate. May you today walk by faith and not by sight--walking by the word, and not by any other influence that would sway you from His word which has power to work in you both to will and to do according to His good pleasure!

Beacon

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2020, 05:50:43 PM »
"Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character."

Faith is the Victory that Overcomes the World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSNMQAVe7FE

Do you want Peace - Do you want Victory - Then we Must Trust & Obey. We must follow example of our Lord & Saviour.

What will our response be??
[/font][/size][/color]

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2020, 05:30:36 AM »
"Whenever one is encompassed with clouds, perplexed by circumstances, or afflicted by poverty or distress, Satan is at hand to tempt and annoy. He attacks our weak points of character. He seeks to shake our confidence in God, who suffers such a condition of things to exist. We are tempted to distrust God, to question His love. Often the tempter comes to us as he came to Christ, arraying before us our weakness and infirmities. He hopes to discourage the soul, and to break our hold on God. Then he is sure of his prey."

What is the solution?  We must: Turn Our Eyes Upon Jesus - Look Full in His Wonderful Face and the Things of Earth will grow Strangely Dim - In the Light of His Glory & Grace.

Like David of old....We must look heavenward to see Our Mighty God....David didn't look at Goliath. He looked Heavenward and saw an Awesome God who was ABLE to conquer and by FAITH & TRUST in his God, David conquered the giant Philistine and Freed Israel from bondage. Do you have giants in your life that seem impossible to conquer? Jesus invites us to Look Up and Believe that His Power is Greater than any Evil Force to free us!! Once again I like to share these awesome two passages for your encouragement not to listen to the voice of Satan because Jesus defeated Satan on the Cross and His victory assures us that if we keep our eyes fixed upon Him by Faith we will share in that victory when He comes to take us home to Glory
1 Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O Lord is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Matthew 28:17-20  "And when they saw him, they worshiped him: but some doubted. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2020, 07:02:35 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Temptations may not be comfortable to face. But in them we may always flee to Christ who is "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6). Thus, we see the access point of deliverance in this promise: "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Corinthians 10:13).

When every earthly support is cut off for those who choose to follow God by a living union and communion with Him as they obey the Ten Commandments by the faith of Jesus at work in their lives by His infinite love that has transformed them by the Holy Spirit, it will be so important to keep the focus on Christ who alone has power to uphold us in every time of trial, even the time of trouble such as never was. Let us not forget that His victory is ours by His faith by His grace! We reach out our hand and grasp it today by beholding Him and yielding the whole heart to Christ!! Then the fruit of such faith is that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be in our lives without one missing!

"Not without a struggle could Jesus listen in silence to the arch-deceiver. But the Son of God was not to prove His divinity to Satan, or to explain the reason of His humiliation. By conceding to the demands of the rebel, nothing for the good of man or the glory of God would be gained. Had Christ complied with the suggestion of the enemy, Satan would still have said, Show me a sign that I may believe you to be the Son of God. Evidence would have been worthless to break the power of rebellion in his heart. And Christ was not to exercise divine power for His own benefit. He had come to bear trial as we must do, leaving us an example of faith and submission. Neither here nor at any subsequent time in His earthly life did He work a miracle in His own behalf. His wonderful works were all for the good of others. Though Jesus recognized Satan from the beginning, He was not provoked to enter into controversy with him. Strengthened with the memory of the voice from heaven, He rested in His Father's love. He would not parley with temptation." {The Desire of Ages, page 119, paragraph 3} 

Let us not invite temptation by going in a direction that we know makes it more difficult to hear God's still, small voice leading us on step-by-step to heaven. Let us realize our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2020, 10:37:11 AM »
Amen my dear brothers. As we near the end, we understand that from all earthly things we shall be cut off. What shall we do, give in to Satan, no! We place our trust in God, for we know He is near, even in our hearts. He will empower us to be faithful witnesses to the unfallen worlds that grace has power to keep even us, the lowest of all created beings, from sin. We are in the process of strengthening our trust (faith) in God. He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear, but He will allow trials so that we will grower in faith and all of the fruits of the Spirit will become more abundant.

Let us look at Moses at the end of his life. Did he sin? Yes he did, a most grievous sin because of his position before Israel. But, was Moses crushed because of his failure? No, he knew God and his repentance was quick and deep. Let us remember how it was that Moses came back from this great sin, and then God raised him from the grave and took him to the "real" promised land. God is preparing a people that will not sin when there is no more Mediator.

It was in the time of greatest weakness that Christ was assailed by the fiercest temptations. Thus Satan thought to prevail. By this policy he had gained the victory over men. When strength failed, and the will power weakened, and faith ceased to repose in God, then those who had stood long and valiantly for the right were overcome. Moses was wearied with the forty years' wandering of Israel, when for the moment his faith let go its hold upon infinite power. He failed just upon the borders of the Promised Land. So with Elijah, who had stood undaunted before King Ahab, who had faced the whole nation of Israel, with the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal at their head. After that terrible day upon Carmel, when the false prophets had been slain, and the people had declared their allegiance to God, Elijah fled for his life before the threats of the idolatrous Jezebel. Thus Satan has taken advantage of the weakness of humanity. And he will still work in the same way. Whenever one is encompassed with clouds, perplexed by circumstances, or afflicted by poverty or distress, Satan is at hand to tempt and annoy. He attacks our weak points of character. He seeks to shake our confidence in God, who suffers such a condition of things to exist. We are tempted to distrust God, to question His love. Often the tempter comes to us as he came to Christ, arraying before us our weakness and infirmities. He hopes to discourage the soul, and to break our hold on God. Then he is sure of his prey. If we would meet him as Jesus did, we should escape many a defeat. By parleying with the enemy, we give him an advantage.........

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God." Often the follower of Christ is brought where he cannot serve God and carry forward his worldly enterprises. Perhaps it appears that obedience to some plain requirement of God will cut off his means of support. Satan would make him believe that he must sacrifice his conscientious convictions. But the only thing in our world upon which we can rely is the word of God. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33. Even in this life it is not for our good to depart from the will of our Father in heaven. When we learn the power of His word, we shall not follow the suggestions of Satan in order to obtain food or to save our lives. Our only questions will be, What is God's command? and what His promise? Knowing these, we shall obey the one, and trust the other.

In the last great conflict of the controversy with Satan those who are loyal to God will see every earthly support cut off.

Beacon

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2020, 07:01:59 AM »
"Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature.

So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us.

God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character."

"'The prince of this world cometh,' said Jesus, 'and hath nothing in Me.' John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation.

So it may be with us.

FAITH IS THE VICTORY THAT OVERCOMES THE WORLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSNMQAVe7FE

Do you want Peace - Do you want Victory - Then you Must.. "Trust & Obey". We must follow example of our Lord & Saviour.

Choose ye this day whom ye will serve---What will our response be??

Dorine

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2020, 07:26:25 AM »
  "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God." Often the follower of Christ is brought where he cannot serve God and carry forward his worldly enterprises. Perhaps it appears that obedience to some plain requirement of God will cut off his means of support. Satan would make him believe that he must sacrifice his conscientious convictions. But the only thing in our world upon which we can rely is the word of God. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33. Even in this life it is not for our good to depart from the will of our Father in heaven. When we learn the power of His word, we shall not follow the suggestions of Satan in order to obtain food or to save our lives. Our only questions will be, What is God's command? and what His promise? Knowing these, we shall obey the one, and trust the other."

Amen! The battle is fierce but God has promised to give us the victory when we trust and obey His every command. He raises the standards high but He doesn't leave us to fight them alone. He stands ready to join with us to bring us to higher ground. We must put our toes into the water showing our faith and belief in His word.  By staying the waters that would destroy us He delivers us onto safe ground.

Thank you Father for the examples in the bible of your care and deliverance showing us that we too may experience the same as we abide in You.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2020, 07:45:03 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

How can it be that Satan will have "nothing in us"? We need Jesus in the heart, and there was nothing in Jesus that responded to Satan! This is what the gospel offers us--a constant union and communion with Christ so we may overcome by abiding in Christ! Then the fruits of the Spirit without one missing and the obedience manifest in Jesus are manifest in us as we are branches connected to Him, the true Vine!

"'The prince of this world cometh,' said Jesus, 'and hath nothing in Me.' John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character." {The Desire of Ages, page 123, paragraph 2} 

Let us keep looking up to Jesus and pointing all in our sphere of influence to look to Him as the only WAY to be saved in these perilous last days!

Beacon

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2021, 04:04:16 AM »
"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God." Often the follower of Christ is brought where he cannot serve God and carry forward his worldly enterprises. Perhaps it appears that obedience to some plain requirement of God will cut off his means of support. Satan would make him believe that he must sacrifice his conscientious convictions.."

"But the only thing in our world upon which we can rely is the word of God.".

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33. Even in this life it is not for our good to depart from the will of our Father in heaven.

When we learn the power of His word, we shall not follow the suggestions of Satan in order to obtain food or to save our lives.

Our only questions should be,,,What is God's command? and what are His promises? I.E.
Hebrews 13:5 et your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Dorine

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2021, 05:09:22 AM »
"God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character.      And how this is accomplished, Christ has shown us. By what means did He overcome in the conflict with Satan? By the word of God. Only by the word could He resist temptation. "It is written," He said. And unto us are given "exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4. Every promise in God's word is ours. "By every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" are we to live. When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word. All its strength is yours. "Thy word," says the psalmist, "have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." "By the word of Thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer." Psalm 119:11; 17:4.

As many times as I have read these words I especially needed to read them and claim them today. In the past few months I have been impressed to put more effort into memorizing scripture. I had started several years ago and then gave up. It seemed impossible. This time I have decided to stick with it no matter how slow it goes or discouraging it may appear. The Lord has blessed and it has set me on fire to keep going. I'm not where I should be but I'm way ahead of where I was a few months ago. All praise be to God. When He sees we are in earnest He works miracles. I still falter through many of them but I won't give up. God can reconnect those impulses in the brain to make memorizing possible again. It was claiming the word of God that kept Him from temptation and it will do the same for us.

Philip T

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2021, 07:18:09 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine, and Brother Bacon, I also will start memorizing scripture and then fail to continue, by not putting God's promises into our hearts and minds, we make it impossible for the Holy Spirit to bring them to remembrance in times of temptation as they are not their. I also will rededicate myself to memorizing scripture.   

It is only by keeping our eyes, and faith on and in Jesus that we can overcome sin, as Peter when walking on the angry sea, when he looked away from Jesus he sunk and cried out for help, returning his eyes to Jesus with his simple prayer "Save me". Jesus in his love lifted him from sinking, so we are with God, we need to call on His name when tempted in prayer, remembering the scripture promises and claiming them as we cry Lord save us. God in His love will not deny us but give us the power to overcome, or if we have fallen, forgive and reclaim us as His children.