Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--12--The Temptation  (Read 27516 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: The Desire of Ages--12--The Temptation
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 08:31:37 AM »
    It was in the time of greatest weakness that Christ was assailed by the fiercest temptations. Thus Satan thought to prevail. By this policy he had gained the victory over men. When strength failed, and the will power weakened, and faith ceased to repose in God, then those who had stood long and valiantly for the right were overcome.

Thus satan shows himself for who he is, a tyrant and a thug. Attempting to wound people and then kick them while they are down. Christ on the other hand is always to trying lift up and encourage even the lowest in society.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »
Amen, Jim!   A thug! Yes, he is a thug! We can say this without any concern about not being loving toward this thug!!  He is indeed evil through and through and can never be brought to repentance. Kicking Jesus when He was down is indeed his tactic. Why was he so intent on hurting Jesus? What is he after? And, why does God allow him to do such bad things to Jesus and other "good" people? Why did Jesus have to suffer so in the wilderness?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 09:07:01 AM »
As I understand things He is our example. Christ knew that we would suffer under the temptations of the enemy and thus he provided an example to follow. An example that if faithfully followed will lead us to victory also.

Christ passed from this scene of glory to one of the greatest temptation. He went into the wilderness, and there Satan met him, and tempted him on the very points where man will be tempted. Our Substitute and Surety passed over the ground where Adam stumbled and fell. And the question was, Will he stumble and fall as Adam did over God's commandments? He met Satan's attacks again and again with, "It is written," and Satan left the field of conflict a conquered foe. Christ has redeemed Adam's disgraceful fall, and has perfected a character of perfect obedience, and left an example for the human family, that they may imitate the Pattern. Had he failed on one point in reference to the law of God, he would not have been a perfect offering; for it was on one point only that Adam failed.  {RH, June 10, 1890 par. 5}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 07:38:16 AM »
    Mighty issues for the world were at stake in the conflict between the Prince of light and the leader of the kingdom of darkness. After tempting man to sin, Satan claimed the earth as his, and styled himself the prince of this world. Having conformed to his own nature the father and mother of our race, he thought to establish here his empire. He declared that men had chosen him as their sovereign. Through his control of men, he held dominion over the world. Christ had come to disprove Satan's claim. As the Son of man, Christ would stand loyal to God. Thus it would be shown that Satan had not gained complete control of the human race, and that his claim to the world was false. All who desired deliverance from his power would be set free. The dominion that Adam had lost through sin would be recovered. 
     Since the announcement to the serpent in Eden, "I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed" (Genesis 3:15), Satan had known that he did not hold absolute sway over the world. There was seen in men the working of a power that withstood his dominion. With intense interest he watched the sacrifices offered by Adam and his sons. In these ceremonies he discerned a symbol of communion between earth and heaven. He set himself to intercept this communion. He misrepresented God, and misinterpreted the rites that pointed to the Saviour. Men were led to fear God as one who delighted in their destruction. The sacrifices that should have revealed His love were offered only to appease His wrath. Satan excited the evil passions of men, in order to fasten his rule upon them. When God's written word was given, Satan studied the prophecies of the Saviour's advent. From generation to generation he worked to blind the people to these prophecies, that they might reject Christ at His coming.  pg 115. 

Yes, mighty issues were at stake and are revealed here to us who have been likewise deceived about the simplicity of the gospel of grace. Grace has power to transform, to set sinners free from their bondage to sin and Satan. Like the church at Nazareth, many today are offended to hear they are in bondage to sin unless they are walking in the light of God's love and counsel.

In the above statement we read of the everlasting covenant that promises to set free all who want to be set free. But, not all are set free. The Bible says "many are called, but few are chosen." Few choose to be set free from sin. They may try to be set free, but they are unwilling to make the sacrifice and to give up their pride. Satan has them in bondage and many refuse to admit it. They do not even want to know that one known sin reveals they are in bondage to Satan and sin. Thus, they have been deceived just as were the Jews at the first coming of Christ.

The promise in Genesis 3:15 is conditioned upon two things. First, that Jesus would fulfill His end of the covenant, which He did on the cross. But, it does not end there, does it? We must do something also in order to be saved. Otherwise all would be saved. But, all are not saved. The second condition is that the Gift be accepted. Man must accept Christ as ruler. The "whole" heart must be given to Jesus in order to be saved. We must be born again. We must  choose another Master. We must surrender self and sin.

Jesus made this very clear when a Laodicean church leader came to Him under cover of darkness. Jesus cut off discussion with him immediately and told him he needed to be converted. What He said to Nicodemus is just what many need to hear today. "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.  That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:5,6. There is nothing good in the flesh. Man is born evil by nature and must be born again. Jesus is the Truth and spoke this truth to Nicodemus and for us today also.

All who want to be born again, can be born again if they will come to Jesus just as they are. All must be transformed in nature before they can enter the kingdom of heaven. We must be born again daily of His Spirit. When we are filled with His Spirit, then we will reflect His character of love and joy. All of the fruits of His Spirit will be seen in the life, not one will be missing. This is why we say "it is not I, but Christ."
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 03:22:53 PM »
I am blessed as I see your post, Richard. Today I was preaching the final message of Unlock Revelation on "The New Covenant" and I got to use Genesis 3:15 as a key text, and went to John 3, as well as ultimately sharing Revelation 3:14-21. I am so thankful that Jesus is seeking to bring truth clearly out in His word, and that those whose hearts are open can respond to His invitation.

As I was reading this chapter this morning, I was so blessed by the following statement:

"The prince of this world cometh," said Jesus, "and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character."

I am so thankful for this beautiful truth that Jesus is desiring to give us thought victory! Hallelujah!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 07:09:36 AM »
I love how we can find in Jesus complete victory:

"The prince of this world cometh," said Jesus, "and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character.

What a joy that victory is possible even down to our thoughts!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »
This chapter came at the perfect time because for the last two days I have been under a cloud of negativity of every kind that the enemy has been throwing at me through circumstances beyond my control. I dissolved into tears of shame when I read again of the intense temptations that Jesus endured for me, for everyone.  The cloud is gone and I'm so grateful to the power of God to pick us up out of the depths of discouragement and bring peace to the soul when we humble ourselves before Him.

When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word. All its strength is yours. "Thy word," says the psalmist, "have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." "By the word of Thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer." Psalm 119:11; 17:4. 
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »
It is a great blessing to me to read both of your posts this morning! Yes, when we are reconciled to God, we have peace that passes understanding. God lifts us above the temptations and trials. He does not remove them, but gives us joy and peace in the middle of the storm. He is strengthening our characters that we will be better witnesses of the the power of grace to transform our lives.

Pastor Sean and Sister Dorine have discovered the joy of abiding in Christ and Christ abiding in them. The two quotes they have chosen to share this morning are very revealing. In the church we do not often hear or read of such experiences. This is very sad because it means many are still captives to the law of sin and death.

It is our prayer many will join us in our daily reading and by so doing will by beholding the loveliness of Jesus be transformed in character. There is no reason to not have love, joy, and peace in our lives every day. This is what Jesus wants for each of us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 05:11:20 AM »
In today's reading, a very simple truth is pointed out at the very beginning. "And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness."

What is significant about this statement? It reveals what is missing from the lives of many in a Laodicean church. How many truly understand that they need to be filled with the Holy Spirit in order to be converted? Without the Holy Spirit in the heart, there is no "justification", no eternal life in the professing Christian.  "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His." Romans 8:9.

When we understand this, then we better understand what Jesus meant when He told Nicodemus he needed to be born again of the Spirit. And, we also better understand what Jesus meant when He said "That which is born of the Spirit is Spirit, that which is born of the flesh is flesh." How can we tell when we are born of the Spirit?

Another point being made in this chapter needs to be better understood as we study the current Sabbath School lessons. It is deficient in not making the following truth prominent.

Satan had pointed to Adam's sin as proof that God's law was unjust, and could not be obeyed. In our humanity, Christ was to redeem Adam's failure. But when Adam was assailed by the tempter, none of the effects of sin were upon him. He stood in the strength of perfect manhood, possessing the full vigor of mind and body. He was surrounded with the glories of Eden, and was in daily communion with heavenly beings. It was not thus with Jesus when He entered the wilderness to cope with Satan. For four thousand years the race had been decreasing in physical strength, in mental power, and in moral worth; and Christ took upon Him the infirmities of degenerate humanity. Only thus could He rescue man from the lowest depths of his degradation. 

So it is today. Many do not believe man can keep God's law, that we can only be saved because Christ kept the law. His righteousness covers our sin. We cannot keep the law, we cannot be cleansed of sin.

We cannot keep the law in and of ourselves, but we can keep the law if we become partakers of God's divine nature (2 Peter 1:4). God does not purify the flesh, but He does purify the heart of all who will give it fully to Him. We need Jesus in our hearts, through the Holy Ghost, in order to do any good thing. With Jesus in our heart, we can do all that Christ asks of us. When the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart, He brings with Him each of the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing. Praise God!! This is how the pastor knows when to baptize a new convert. This is how we can know when we are not abiding in Christ, and are not filled with His Spirit.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 06:42:51 AM »
As I was reflecting upon your post, Richard, I realize that you answered your own question. You had asked, "How can we tell when we are born of the Spirit?" And later in your post you stated, "When the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart, He brings with Him each of the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing." This simple truth clarifies our experience--whether we are abiding, or whether we are Laodicean, separated from Christ, and in need of responding to His knock and voice upon our hearts so He can again enter the heart and cleanse it from selfishness and sin, and then keep it pure.

Christ's fast and His temptation teach us the lesson of the need to abide continually in Him, and trust to His word, not yielding to the clamors of whatever contradicts God's will.

Jesus met Satan with the words of Scripture. "It is written," He said. In every temptation the weapon of His warfare was the word of God. Satan demanded of Christ a miracle as a sign of His divinity. But that which is greater than all miracles, a firm reliance upon a "Thus saith the Lord," was a sign that could not be controverted. So long as Christ held to this position, the tempter could gain no advantage. 

A great miracle indeed it is for us, born with fallen natures, through conversion (receiving a new heart and mind filled with His Spirit) and abiding in Christ continually, that we are enabled to depend upon God's word and not depart even in a thought from God's will for us. Let us look to Jesus continually! Beholding Him, we shall be changed to be more and more like our Savior, as God has promised in 2 Corinthians 3:18: "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 08:58:14 AM »
Amen! What a blessing is ours as we learn of Jesus!

Today's reading is so very important. The scales are falling from our eyes as we learn of the plan for our redemption.

Many look on this conflict between Christ and Satan as having no special bearing on their own life; and for them it has little interest. But within the domain of every human heart this controversy is repeated. Never does one leave the ranks of evil for the service of God without encountering the assaults of Satan. The enticements which Christ resisted were those that we find it so difficult to withstand. They were urged upon Him in as much greater degree as His character is superior to ours. With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us.
     Satan had pointed to Adam's sin as proof that God's law was unjust, and could not be obeyed.

There is so much we can learn from this short statement. First, it reveals how much God loves us before we loved Him. Then, how much was Christ tempted? Was He just like us? Or was He God in the "likeness of sinful flesh"?  How strong were His temptations? Just like ours? No. Not unless your character has the same strength as God's. The temptations covered the basic temptations, but they were so much stronger that what shall ever face. Many will argue in order to teach their agenda. But, here we see the truth. "They were urged upon Him in as much greater degree as His character is superior to ours."

Some will still argue He was just like us. But, this is foolishness. Jesus is God. We cannot carry our own sins, much less the sins of the whole world.

This short statement we are reading reminds me of the manner Satan has chosen to deceive God's chosen people today. He is so very clever. Last quarter's Sabbath School lesson brought into view the "great controversy" between Christ and Satan, but never revealed what we needed to know. He always will feed truth to us in order that he can feed us his lies. With many he succeeded last quarter. It is so very sad to see a whole church walking in the wrong direction. What was left out of the lessons that was so very important? The foundation of the "great controversy" which we read now.

"Satan had pointed to Adam's sin as proof that God's law was unjust, and could not be obeyed."
Why was this left out? Because it is the foundation of the battle. It began in heaven and continues on Earth. Lucifer had told the angels that God was unjust in requiring heavenly beings to follow His laws. He continues the same lie with us. God is unjust in requiring man to follow a law he cannot obey. Do we not hear this all the time from our pulpits and in our books and magazines?

We have one path Satan has presented that says Jesus came in the nature of Adam before he fell. So, He can keep the law, but we having a sinful nature cannot. Then, we have the other road where we are told Jesus came in the nature of Adam after the fall, therefore, being like us we can keep the law. But, while this is true, the teaching of some extends past the truth to make Jesus just like us. So, we do not have to be born again because we are just like Jesus and can obey just like Jesus without ever sinning. :(

We can obey just like Jesus, but we need to be born again and have Him in us before we can obey His law. And, then our obedience is much superior to most of those who have chosen the two paths presented by Satan. It comes from having the Holy Spirit in our hearts, so the heart has been cleansed of sin. The motives are pure and holy, unlike what is being taught by many in God's church.

We thank Jesus for the truths He reveals to us daily as we continue to read from this most wonderful revelation of our Savior. It is by knowing Him that we are reconciled to our God.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »
Amen, AMEN, AND PRAISE THE LORD!!! Richard, I so appreciate the post you just shared. In just a few paragraphs you have clearly confronted the issue that is causing the great controversy to still rage in our world (because it comes down to whether we, the professed people of God, will believe the truth of the gospel and live lives of obedience through the divine nature). I appreciate that you addressed the different errors that are clouding how it is that we are to overcome. We need Jesus to overcome! We cannot do it on our own, nor is there anything in us by nature that is able to obey unless we are BORN AGAIN! Praise the Lord that this is a divine reality, and that Satan's temptations perpetrated against Christ need not cause us to fall if we are beholding the loveliness of Jesus and abiding in Christ!

At the birth of Jesus, Satan knew that One had come with a divine commission to dispute his dominion. He trembled at the angel's message attesting the authority of the newborn King. Satan well knew the position that Christ had held in heaven as the Beloved of the Father. That the Son of God should come to this earth as a man filled him with amazement and with apprehension. He could not fathom the mystery of this great sacrifice. His selfish soul could not understand such love for the deceived race. The glory and peace of heaven, and the joy of communion with God, were but dimly comprehended by men; but they were well known to Lucifer, the covering cherub. Since he had lost heaven, he was determined to find revenge by causing others to share his fall. This he would do by causing them to undervalue heavenly things, and to set the heart upon things of earth.

Just think about this--Lucifer knows what you and I have never fully experienced--the joy of divine communion with God IN HEAVEN. And because it is so amazing, so beyond what we can even fully comprehend here (yes, heaven begins here through a full surrender to Christ and abiding in Him, but this still does not compare to the eternal bliss of that communion continued in a sinless world and perfect heaven). Let us realize that someone (Satan) is tying to get us to miss out on what he already had--and lost. Let us realize that Christ has made a way of escape for us IN EVERY TEMPTATION through HIS WORD! Let us cling to Christ more firmly when temptations press upon us--and trust that He is able to save us to the uttermost! Praise the Lord!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 04:48:47 AM »
When Jesus was led into the wilderness to be tempted, He was led by the Spirit of God. He did not invite temptation. He went to the wilderness to be alone, to contemplate His mission and work. By fasting and prayer He was to brace Himself for the bloodstained path He must travel. But Satan knew that the Saviour had gone into the wilderness, and he thought this the best time to approach Him.

I wish I could have found this statement back a few months ago. While visiting another church the Sabbath School leader said that she didn't believe that God would do such a thing as to purposely lead Christ into temptation. Yet here and in the Bible that is what it tells us. I think many don't like such a thought because what does that mean for them (us) if Christ is our example. Yet, if we understood the purpose of trails and temptations this wouldn't be so hard to understand. How else does one build their faith muscle if it's never exercised? How else can God reveal to us our character defects?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 07:09:35 AM »
Jim, I appreciate very much the statement you posted--it shows that Christ was going to the wilderness for a specific purpose:

He went to the wilderness to be alone, to contemplate His mission and work. By fasting and prayer He was to brace Himself for the bloodstained path He must travel.

But there is more--while Christ went to the wilderness by a Spirit-led purpose, the devil thought that this was a good time to tempt Christ. So it is with us. God leads us in the path for us to fulfill the mission He has for us--and it is THERE...where we are to be according to God's will--that Satan tries to tempt, harass, and overcome us. Let us learn the lesson--we are to go about God's work and not parley with Satan:

It was in the time of greatest weakness that Christ was assailed by the fiercest temptations. Thus Satan thought to prevail. By this policy he had gained the victory over men. When strength failed, and the will power weakened, and faith ceased to repose in God, then those who had stood long and valiantly for the right were overcome. Moses was wearied with the forty years' wandering of Israel, when for the moment his faith let go its hold upon infinite power. He failed just upon the borders of the Promised Land. So with Elijah, who had stood undaunted before King Ahab, who had faced the whole nation of Israel, with the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal at their head. After that terrible day upon Carmel, when the false prophets had been slain, and the people had declared their allegiance to God, Elijah fled for his life before the threats of the idolatrous Jezebel. Thus Satan has taken advantage of the weakness of humanity. And he will still work in the same way. Whenever one is encompassed with clouds, perplexed by circumstances, or afflicted by poverty or distress, Satan is at hand to tempt and annoy. He attacks our weak points of character. He seeks to shake our confidence in God, who suffers such a condition of things to exist. We are tempted to distrust God, to question His love. Often the tempter comes to us as he came to Christ, arraying before us our weakness and infirmities. He hopes to discourage the soul, and to break our hold on God. Then he is sure of his prey. If we would meet him as Jesus did, we should escape many a defeat. By parleying with the enemy, we give him an advantage.   

It is striking that the examples quoted here are of those who were IN MINISTRY--Moses and Elijah. But they failed where Christ was victorious. They sinned, and marred their life record. We need Jesus. We need to remember that it is while doing God's will that Satan comes after us to turn us from the path God has for us. Moses marred the character of God before the people, and then had to die on the borders of the promised land. Elijah fled from his post of duty, where if he had stayed, a MUCH GREATER reformatory work could have been wrought, as God would have brought judgements upon wicked Jezebel.

So many lessons for us. Let us keep to the path God has for us today, by beholding the loveliness of Jesus and abiding in Him. Only as we do this will we be enabled to overcome temptation. God does not "lead us into temptation," but He leads us in His plan and mission, and that is where Satan seeks to attack. Let us not give Satan an advantage today, as we keep our focus upon the word of God as our foundation!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 09:22:15 PM »
When we are filled with the Holy Ghost, then God will lead us into places where we will be His witnesses. By so  doing, He keeps His promise that He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can  bear. He knows what Satan will bring,  but He uses this evil to His glory and our good.

It was in the time of greatest weakness that Christ was assailed by the fiercest temptations. Thus Satan thought to prevail. By this policy he had gained the victory over men. When strength failed, and the will power weakened, and faith ceased to repose in God, then those who had stood long and valiantly for the right were overcome. Moses was wearied with the forty years' wandering of Israel, when for the moment his faith let go its hold upon infinite power. He failed just upon the borders of the Promised Land. So with Elijah, who had stood undaunted before King Ahab, who had faced the whole nation of Israel, with the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal at their head. After that terrible day upon Carmel, when the false prophets had been slain, and the people had declared their allegiance to God, Elijah fled for his life before the threats of the idolatrous Jezebel. Thus Satan has taken advantage of the weakness of humanity. And he will still work in the same way. Whenever one is encompassed with clouds, perplexed by circumstances, or afflicted by poverty or distress, Satan is at hand to tempt and annoy. He attacks our weak points of character. He seeks to shake our confidence in God, who suffers such a condition of things to exist. We are tempted to distrust God, to question His love. Often the tempter comes to us as he came to Christ, arraying before us our weakness and infirmities. He hopes to discourage the soul, and to break our hold on God. Then he is sure of his prey. If we would meet him as Jesus did, we should escape many a defeat. By parleying with the enemy, we give him an advantage.   

Jesus was filled with the Holy Ghost when He was led into the wilderness. If we are not filled with the Spirit, then we are not being led by God. If we wander into the wilderness of temptation, it is not God that led us there. Moses and Elijah let loose of Jesus, and were filled with "unbelief". This is why they sinned. We are to learn from their mistakes. We need Jesus continually.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 05:05:05 AM »
No matter how deep an experience we have had with Christ, sin separates us from God. We learn of our continual need of Jesus in our reading today. He abode by faith in His Father's care and by the word overcame. So we are to overcome.

Dorine

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
These are the very thoughts that caught my attention today Pastor Sean.

Besides Gethsemane and the events leading up to and including the cross I find this chapter the most emotionally draining and yet the most strengthening and encouraging.

But if we don't know our bibles how will we be able resist Satan's temptations with an "It is written"?

"Only by the word could He resist temptation. "It is written", He said.

Here is a promise so meaningful to me. "Thy word have I hid in mine heart that I might not sin against thee." Ps. 119:11

Satan knows that in ourselves it is impossible to resist him. That is why he keeps us so distracted (even doing, in themselves, many good things) that we have no quality time to spend with God. Just like eating good healthy food to build our immune systems to protect against disease we need to partake of spiritual food so God can build our spiritual immune systems to protect us from the disease of sin.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 05:42:25 AM »
At the birth of Jesus, Satan knew that One had come with a divine commission to dispute his dominion. He trembled at the angel's message attesting the authority of the newborn King. Satan well knew the position that Christ had held in heaven as the Beloved of the Father. That the Son of God should come to this earth as a man filled him with amazement and with apprehension. He could not fathom the mystery of this great sacrifice. His selfish soul could not understand such love for the deceived race. The glory and peace of heaven, and the joy of communion with God, were but dimly comprehended by men; but they were well known to Lucifer, the covering cherub. Since he had lost heaven, he was determined to find revenge by causing others to share his fall. This he would do by causing them to undervalue heavenly things, and to set the heart upon things of earth. 

It's interesting to me that even though satan who once knew an intimate relationship with Christ that his character has become so twisted that he doesn't can't under Christ's love for humanity. But he does understand that he has lost everything and is determined to take everyone with him. And according the passage above one of his deceptive ways is try and take our minds off of heavenly things and fasten our look up on the things of this old earth. These "things of earth" don't have to be evil and naturally harmful. They can also be innocent and needful things but if our focus stays there instead of on Christ we will be in trouble.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 08:35:02 AM »
Amen, Jim. And this is what is just in front of us. The last Christians living when Jesus comes will have learned the lesson. The things of this world are of no value when compared to the things which are unseen and eternal. Satan will be allowed to take away all, just as he was allowed to take all from Job. It is very sad the Sabbath School lesson did not reveal this when we studied the Book of Job. It is the character of repentant sinners that will reveal the power of grace to transform our very nature. Yes, we will retain sinful flesh, but the mind and heart will be not only purified, but strengthened to reflect more perfectly the character of our Savior.

And, it will not be in one great step, but Jesus in His wisdom and love for us will bring about this perfection of character through our daily trials. Thus it was with Jesus. He was not prepared for the cross at age 12. He learned obedience through the things He suffered. We see this in today's reading.

When Jesus was led into the wilderness to be tempted, He was led by the Spirit of God. He did not invite temptation. He went to the wilderness to be alone, to contemplate His mission and work. By fasting and prayer He was to brace Himself for the bloodstained path He must travel. But Satan knew that the Saviour had gone into the wilderness, and he thought this the best time to approach Him.

The great trial Jesus endured was preparatory to the cross. This experience strengthened Him for what lay ahead. So Jesus is preparing us for what lies ahead. 

In the last great conflict of the controversy with Satan those who are loyal to God will see every earthly support cut off. Because they refuse to break His law in obedience to earthly powers, they will be forbidden to buy or sell. It will finally be decreed that they shall be put to death.

Those living at the end of time will understand the issues and they will have settled into the truth that they shall not be moved.
They love Jesus with the whole heart and know His promises are sure. They know they will not be tempted beyond that which they can bear.

And unto us are given "exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4. Every promise in God's word is ours. "By every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" are we to live. When assailed by temptation, look not to circumstances or to the weakness of self, but to the power of the word. All its strength is yours. "Thy word," says the psalmist, "have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." "By the word of Thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer." Psalm 119:11; 17:4. 

Amen!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:06 AM »
Amen, Jim and Richard! We need to have our minds stayed upon Christ, not distracted from Him, as Steps to Christ counsels us:

When the mind dwells upon self, it is turned away from Christ, the source of strength and life. Hence it is Satan's constant effort to keep the attention diverted from the Saviour and thus prevent the union and communion of the soul with Christ. The pleasures of the world, life's cares and perplexities and sorrows, the faults of others, or your own faults and imperfections—to any or all of these he will seek to divert the mind. Do not be misled by his devices. Many who are really conscientious, and who desire to live for God, he too often leads to dwell upon their own faults and weaknesses, and thus by separating them from Christ he hopes to gain the victory. We should not make self the center and indulge anxiety and fear as to whether we shall be saved. All this turns the soul away from the Source of our strength. Commit the keeping of your soul to God, and trust in Him. Talk and think of Jesus. Let self be lost in Him. Put away all doubt; dismiss your fears. Say with the apostle Paul, “I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20. Rest in God. He is able to keep that which you have committed to Him. If you will leave yourself in His hands, He will bring you off more than conqueror through Him that has loved you. {Steps to Christ, page 71, paragraph 2}

As we understand the lesson of our Lord's temptations faced in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11), we are better prepared to understand how we can overcome--by the word, and surrendering fully to the loveliness of Jesus revealed to us in His word, so we can have power to resist temptation through the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit, who makes us a partaker of the divine nature. That divine nature is the only one that has enmity against sin. Our fallen nature is selfish, in harmony with sin, and has no power to do good. In order to have enmity against sin, we must have an abiding Savior in our hearts so that our fallen nature is kept in subjection to Him (crucified), and He makes His presence in us evident by revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing.

"Since the announcement to the serpent in Eden, 'I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed' (Genesis 3:15), Satan had known that he did not hold absolute sway over the world. There was seen in men the working of a power that withstood his dominion. With intense interest he watched the sacrifices offered by Adam and his sons. In these ceremonies he discerned a symbol of communion between earth and heaven. He set himself to intercept this communion. He misrepresented God, and misinterpreted the rites that pointed to the Saviour. Men were led to fear God as one who delighted in their destruction. The sacrifices that should have revealed His love were offered only to appease His wrath. Satan excited the evil passions of men, in order to fasten his rule upon them. When God's written word was given, Satan studied the prophecies of the Saviour's advent. From generation to generation he worked to blind the people to these prophecies, that they might reject Christ at His coming." {The Desire of Ages, page 115, paragraph 1}

If Satan will not have power over you today, it can only be as you continually appreciate the character of Christ and hold communion with God. Let us remember that we are in the very presence of God moment-by-moment, and that He will enable us to overcome as we depend upon Him and exercise faith in His promises to keep us from falling (see 1 Corinthians 10:13 and Jude 24-25).