Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--11--The Baptism  (Read 20549 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--11--The Baptism
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 06:25:38 AM »
"As one with us, He must bear the burden of our guilt and woe. The Sinless One must feel the shame of sin. The peace lover must dwell with strife, the truth must abide with falsehood, purity with vileness. Every sin, every discord, every defiling lust that transgression had brought, was torture to His spirit."

He went through all of this for you and me so that by accepting Him we may have a home with Him throughout eternity.  What a wonderful Saviour. I'll say it again; I don't understand it, I don't comprehend it, I don't deserve it but I am so grateful for His life of sacrifice and offer of salvation. It fills my heart with longing to be able to walk and talk with Him face to face someday. Until then we walk and talk with Him by faith believing and obeying every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
Amen!!  Adding to this thought, Jesus' sacrifice did not end on the cross. To many this may seem insignificant, but to me it is not. It intensifies my love for Him. I am sure that Jesus enjoys the juice from the fruit of the vine, yet it has been almost 2,000 years since He has tasted it. What does Jesus think of He sees others drinking that delicious juice? Yes, He is thinking of us! And, He has been thinking of us for so many more years, from the foundation of the world.

What is very amazing is that John the Baptist did not understand the gospel message. He did not know the Lamb had to suffer and die in order that our sins could be forgiven. Yet, he did say that Jesus was the Lamb of God which taketh away the sins of the world.

None among the hearers, and not even the speaker himself, discerned the import of these words, "the Lamb of God." Upon Mount Moriah, Abraham had heard the question of his son, "My father, . . . where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" The father answered, "My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering." Genesis 22:7, 8. And in the ram divinely provided in the place of Isaac, Abraham saw a symbol of Him who was to die for the sins of men. The Holy Spirit through Isaiah, taking up the illustration, prophesied of the Saviour, "He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter," "and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all" (Isaiah 53:7, 6); but the people of Israel had not understood the lesson. Many of them regarded the sacrificial offerings much as the heathen looked upon their sacrifices,--as gifts by which they themselves might propitiate the Deity. God desired to teach them that from His own love comes the gift which reconciles them to Himself.

Amazing how such a deception could have taken place! Yet, we see the same today. Oh, if we could only see a glimpse of His unfathomable love! We then would want to spend more time with Him.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2019, 09:06:06 PM »
"By the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased,” embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. “He hath made us accepted in the glory that rested upon Christ is a pledge of the love of God for us. It tells us of the power of prayer,—how the human voice may reach the ear of God, and our petitions find acceptance in the courts of heaven. By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased." {DA 113.1}

Isn't it wonderful to know that we have a prayer hearing and answering Savior! When we call we never get a busy signal or hear a voice say..".All of our representatives are currently busy,  please stay on the line and your call will be answered as soon as possible"

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.” 1 John 3:2. Our Redeemer has opened the way so that the most sinful, the most needy, the most oppressed and despised, may find access to the Father. All may have a home in the mansions which Jesus has gone to prepare. “These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; ... behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it.” Revelation 3:7, 8. {DA 113.2}

May all the Joy, Peace and Blessings of this Sabbath day be yours because of the Wonderful Love of Jesus as demonstrated in His earthly life.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2019, 03:37:25 AM »
Amen, Beacon!

As we contemplate the depth of suffering that Jesus endured to come to our world and take the steps necessary to connect us again with the Father as we behold and accept the marvelous gift of His grace that changes our character experience from rebellious sinfulness to grateful, loving obedience, we can rejoice in the value placed upon us in Christ!

"And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, 'This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased,' embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. 'He hath made us accepted in the Beloved.' Ephesians 1:6. The glory that rested upon Christ is a pledge of the love of God for us. It tells us of the power of prayer,--how the human voice may reach the ear of God, and our petitions find acceptance in the courts of heaven. By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased." {The Desire of Ages, page 113, paragraph 1}

I am so happy that Jesus is my personal Savior and that He wants to do more than we can ask or think for us today on this wonderful Sabbath--a day to get to know Him with a sweeter intimacy!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2019, 05:58:23 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon and Pastor Sean. God loves us!! We do not half understand the blessings we have as the light from heaven is poured out upon His church. We take so much for granted. In today's reading we find out that John the Baptist di did not understand what meant the words he spoke when he saw Jesus coming to the Jordan.

John had been deeply moved as he saw Jesus bowed as a suppliant, pleading with tears for the approval of the Father. As the glory of God encircled Him, and the voice from heaven was heard, John recognized the token which God had promised. He knew that it was the world's Redeemer whom he had baptized. The Holy Spirit rested upon him, and with outstretched hand pointing to Jesus, he cried, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."
     None among the hearers, and not even the speaker himself, discerned the import of these words, "the Lamb of God." Upon Mount Moriah, Abraham had heard the question of his son, "My father, . . . where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" The father answered, "My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering." Genesis 22:7, 8. And in the ram divinely provided in the place of Isaac, Abraham saw a symbol of Him who was to die for the sins of men. The Holy Spirit through Isaiah, taking up the illustration, prophesied of the Saviour, "He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter," "and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all" (Isaiah 53:7, 6); but the people of Israel had not understood the lesson. Many of them regarded the sacrificial offerings much as the heathen looked upon their sacrifices,--as gifts by which they themselves might propitiate the Deity. God desired to teach them that from His own love comes the gift which reconciles them to Himself.

Is it not amazing that even John did not understand Jesus was the Lamb that had to die? He thought Jesus was going to rule on an earthly throne. Such a deception which had come upon Israel. Satan rejoiced that he had deceived God's chosen people. And that deception led them to murder the Son of God, their Messiah. We ought to pay more attention to the Words of Jesus when He tells us, as a people, we need to repent. Rev. 3:19. And of course we cannot repent in and of ourselves, for repentance comes from Jesus. It is "the goodness of God" that "leadeth thee to repentance." Romans 2:4. And we must behold that good each day in order to have spiritual life. We must maintain our experience and our love for our Lord.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2019, 07:41:30 AM »
"Upon coming up out of the water, Jesus bowed in prayer on the river bank. A new and important era was opening before Him. He was now, upon a wider stage, entering on the conflict of His life. Though He was the Prince of Peace, His coming must be as the unsheathing of a sword. The kingdom He had come to establish was the opposite of that which the Jews desired. He who was the foundation of the ritual and economy of Israel would be looked upon as its enemy and destroyer. He who had proclaimed the law upon Sinai would be condemned as a transgressor. He who had come to break the power of Satan would be denounced as Beelzebub. No one upon earth had understood Him, and during His ministry He must still walk alone. Throughout His life His mother and His brothers did not comprehend His mission. Even His disciples did not understand Him. He had dwelt in eternal light, as one with God, but His life on earth must be spent in solitude."

I've been meditating this morning on this description of Jesus' mission. His life was a life a such contrasts. He left His kingdom of perfection to come to this tiny speck of a planet to save it from destruction. Why? I do not understand the kind of love and mercy that would stoop so low and still remain unstained and perfect. Thank you Jesus. I cling to you this morning as I once again submit my will to yours. Amen.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »
"By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased."

On the Cross of Calvary Jesus became the "Lamb of God " a pure sinless sacrificial offering which opened Heaven's gate wide for all who are willing to accept Him as their Saviour and live a life of total transforming Grace, bringing Glory and Honor to Him. To those who are willing to accept Him and Live for Him "NOW", He will be able to say.."Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world..."Matthew 25:34

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is." 1 John 3:2. Our Redeemer has opened the way so that the most sinful, the most needy, the most oppressed and despised, may find access to the Father. All may have a home in the mansions which Jesus has gone to prepare. "These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; . . . behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it." Revelation 3:7, 8.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 07:06:10 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

As Jesus was baptized as our Savior and Example, He has opened a way for us to be set free from sin and anointed by His Spirit for ministry!

"'Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.' 1 John 3:2. Our Redeemer has opened the way so that the most sinful, the most needy, the most oppressed and despised, may find access to the Father. All may have a home in the mansions which Jesus has gone to prepare. 'These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; . . . behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it.' Revelation 3:7, 8." {The Desire of Ages, page 113, paragraph 2}

Jesus has a place for you in heaven--and we can be ready to meet Him by surrendering our whole heart to Him and letting Him work in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure! The joy of His salvation comes to each of us as we abide in Him, and all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives lives without one missing as long as we continue to surrender the whole heart and mind to Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 10:10:44 AM »
Good to be back online. Still working on the site, but the hosting company has a problem that caused us a problem. In 20 years, this has not happened. Another sign that the end is near. It has been a trial for me since it takes a lot of time to do this looking at code that runs our program.  We have a firewall to keep out the bad guys, or at least try to. Last week we had 40,000 visitors, many from China. :(     Something was going on. It appears to be fixed, but still have some work to do. Would much rather discuss what we are learning about our Savior!

In today's reading, I was impressed with the fact that God will reveal light to those who are seeking it that we might walk in the light. Not all could see what some could see that day over 2,000 years ago when Jesus was baptized. So it is today. Which group are we in today?

Of the vast throng at the Jordan, few except John discerned the heavenly vision. Yet the solemnity of the divine Presence rested upon the assembly. The people stood silently gazing upon Christ. His form was bathed in the light that ever surrounds the throne of God. His upturned face was glorified as they had never before seen the face of man. From the open heavens a voice was heard saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." 

Is our understanding dependent upon our standing in this world? No.

Our Redeemer has opened the way so that the most sinful, the most needy, the most oppressed and despised, may find access to the Father. All may have a home in the mansions which Jesus has gone to prepare. "These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; . . . behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it." Revelation 3:7, 8.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2019, 07:04:04 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard!

Are things ever not fully clear to you? Even John the Baptist was seeking to more clearly understand the purpose of Jesus, and as John patiently waited, things became clearer. Let us follow the light that is clear, and the path and truth that God still has will get clearer!

“John was acquainted with the events that had marked the birth of Jesus. He had heard of the visit to Jerusalem in His boyhood, and of what had passed in the school of the rabbis. He knew of His sinless life, and believed Him to be the Messiah; but of this he had no positive assurance. The fact that Jesus had for so many years remained in obscurity, giving no special evidence of His mission, gave occasion for doubt as to whether He could be the Promised One. The Baptist, however, waited in faith, believing that in God’s own time all would be made plain. It had been revealed to him that the Messiah would seek baptism at his hands, and that a sign of His divine character should then be given. Thus he would be enabled to present Him to the people.” {The Desire of Ages, page  109, paragraph 3}

Waiting in faith—this is a great perspective! Jesus is coming again soon!

Beacon

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
"By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased."

Gods Word says in Isaiah 1:18 "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

Oh Wonder of Wonders....How Marvelous is this! That Jesus came to this sin sick planet to rescue one such as I. One such as You! How could anyone say "NO" to such Mercy, Grace,Forgiveness & Restoration that comes with a Promise of Eternal Life with Him!!   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2019, 03:30:43 AM »
God says things to us and even through us words that we may not fully understand at the time spoken. When John the Baptist heard the voice from heaven at Jesus' baptism, He did not fully grasp all that was to transpire in Jesus' mission. "The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." (John 1:29). While John believed Christ to be the Son of God, the Messiah, He did not realize that the Lamb had to die. John had been so fully influenced by the popular conception of Messiah's first coming that His mind was not clear on this. At the time, the glory to attend Christ's second advent was thought to be about to take place in a literal, earthly kingdom. But Israel was bitterly disappointed as they saw a humble Galilean Carpenter named Jesus fulfill the prophecies that they truly believed would be fulfilled by a glorious kingdom to destroy Rome and exalt Israel to universal preeminence. Why were the Jews at that time disappointed? They had not rightly studied the Scriptures FOR THEMSELVES, and relied upon others to do their thinking for them. This is not a safe course. We need to as surely know the prophecies that surrounded the first coming in humiliation as our Sacrifice that we may be prepared to accept Him in His soon second advent as our glorious King! Please be of the number who follow this example: "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so." (Acts 17:11). Learn to know what is truth from God's word directly, and let God reconcile you to Himself by the gift of His love--His only begotten Son!!

"None among the hearers, and not even the speaker himself, discerned the import of these words, 'the Lamb of God.' Upon Mount Moriah, Abraham had heard the question of his son, 'My father, . . . where is the lamb for a burnt offering?' The father answered, 'My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering.' Genesis 22:7, 8. And in the ram divinely provided in the place of Isaac, Abraham saw a symbol of Him who was to die for the sins of men. The Holy Spirit through Isaiah, taking up the illustration, prophesied of the Saviour, 'He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter,' 'and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all' (Isaiah 53:7, 6); but the people of Israel had not understood the lesson. Many of them regarded the sacrificial offerings much as the heathen looked upon their sacrifices,--as gifts by which they themselves might propitiate the Deity. God desired to teach them that from His own love comes the gift which reconciles them to Himself." {The Desire of Ages, page 112, paragraph 5}

Dorine

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2019, 06:39:00 AM »
And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased," embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. "He hath made us accepted in the Beloved."

Such comforting words to take with me through out this day. When we bring our sins and weaknesses to the feet of Jesus in confession and repentance we are accepted and declared righteous as if we had never sinned. Then through the transforming power of Jesus we are not just forgiven but our lives will show a change of heart. What a precious gift.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2019, 08:57:59 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine! What a God we serve! And at what cost to our heavenly Father and His innocent Son! His life was made unbelievably hard, He walked alone!

Upon coming up out of the water, Jesus bowed in prayer on the river bank. A new and important era was opening before Him. He was now, upon a wider stage, entering on the conflict of His life. Though He was the Prince of Peace, His coming must be as the unsheathing of a sword. The kingdom He had come to establish was the opposite of that which the Jews desired. He who was the foundation of the ritual and economy of Israel would be looked upon as its enemy and destroyer. He who had proclaimed the law upon Sinai would be condemned as a transgressor. He who had come to break the power of Satan would be denounced as Beelzebub. No one upon earth had understood Him, and during His ministry He must still walk alone. Throughout His life His mother and His brothers did not comprehend His mission. Even His disciples did not understand Him. He had dwelt in eternal light, as one with God, but His life on earth must be spent in solitude.
     As one with us, He must bear the burden of our guilt and woe. The Sinless One must feel the shame of sin. The peace lover must dwell with strife, the truth must abide with falsehood, purity with vileness. Every sin, every discord, every defiling lust that transgression had brought, was torture to His spirit. 

We don't half understand. And, we too often forget what suffering had to be for our salvation! Let us today be faithful witnesses of His character, by God's grace.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2020, 05:32:59 AM »
There is much we can learn from today's reading, but I was impressed with something I had not paid attention to in the past, not in this chapter. Today, there are two things that we ought to pay attention to. We see it in Scripture, and we are reminded again today.

Jesus did not receive baptism as a confession of guilt on His own account. He identified Himself with sinners, taking the steps that we are to take, and doing the work that we must do. His life of suffering and patient endurance after His baptism was also an example to us. 

If we have not yet discovered that the life of a Christian involves suffering, then realize that the example that Jesus gave included His suffering. It works for our good and His glory when we are truly converted. The world has a demonstration that there is a vast difference between those who love Jesus with the whole heart and those who don't.

Another truth that many have not recognized yet is that Jesus did not come in Holy Flesh. Yes, He was God, but He was born of the flesh of humanity, fallen flesh. But, this is not an excuse for sin. He was the Sinless One. It was not an excuse for Him, nor for us. He has made provision for us to live a life of perfect obedience if we will learn of Him and make a whole heart surrender of everything we are and everything we have. In return, the Holy Spirit will take possession of the heart and purify it from all sin no matter how evil it had been. He will wash it so it is whiter than snow. Yes, that means we have two natures like Jesus had. We are then partakers of His divine nature and retain our fallen evil flesh.

His upturned face was glorified as they had never before seen the face of man. From the open heavens a voice was heard saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
     These words of confirmation were given to inspire faith in those who witnessed the scene, and to strengthen the Saviour for His mission. Notwithstanding that the sins of a guilty world were laid upon Christ, notwithstanding the humiliation of taking upon Himself our fallen nature, the voice from heaven declared Him to be the Son of the Eternal. 

Yes, I know that ordained pastors teach otherwise. But so do some teach this truth. This is God's church and from it you will hear the leading edge of truth.....and the gospel of grace. The gospel can be found in other denominations, but not the leading edge of truth. It has been entrusted to the remnant church of God. One of the reasons it remains in a Laodicean condition is that the foundation of our faith, the gospel, has been perverted as it had been in Israel of Old. But, today unlike Israel, God will bring about revival and reformation which begins with a correct understanding of the power of grace to not only converted sinners into saints, but to keep them in a converted state. And, as we have read today, it is suffering that will strengthen the character of the saints so that one day very soon Jesus can close shop in the Most Place in heaven. He will stand up, throw down the censor and say "It is finished." There will be no more forgiveness of sin, yet there will still be living on the face of this Earth Christians who have been sealed and will be prepared to go through a time of trouble such as never was. This is the power of God's grace!

By the way, we do know that Jesus took upon Himself our fallen nature, and it was not the nature of Adam just after he fell. No, He came into the world 4,000 years later when the race had been much further weakened by sin and disease. He inherited the nature of fallen man after these longs years had almost destroyed mankind. Between Adam's fall and the birth of Jesus, God had almost all of mankind and the animals to give humanity a chance to survive until the second coming of Christ. It is a most amazing story that we know, that God allowed His Son to come  into this dark world where Satan hated Jesus. He came in this fallen nature a helpless baby!

The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.
     Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.
     The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! 

Repeat this story as often as you have opportunity, for here is the power that transforms sinners into saints.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2020, 06:20:43 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard!

As we suffer and endure trials, we can be encouraged to remember where our value comes from: Jesus. He has trod the path of suffering for us and took upon Himself our fallen nature so that we, by beholding His love, may be transformed in character and have a new heart that will be imbued with His Spirit so all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives--not one will be missing! This is true even amid great trials, and the love, joy, and peace we have may deepen in character as we abide in Christ amid our sufferings.

"And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased," embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. "He hath made us accepted in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:6. The glory that rested upon Christ is a pledge of the love of God for us. It tells us of the power of prayer,--how the human voice may reach the ear of God, and our petitions find acceptance in the courts of heaven. By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased." {The Desire of Ages, page 113, paragraph 1}

To know our value in the sight of God has powerful, motivating influence upon us to persevere in out trying experiences. We learn of Him and find hope springing up in our hearts!

Dorine

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2020, 06:35:52 AM »
"And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased," embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. "He hath made us accepted in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:6. The glory that rested upon Christ is a pledge of the love of God for us. It tells us of the power of prayer,--how the human voice may reach the ear of God, and our petitions find acceptance in the courts of heaven. By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased."

I never tire of reading and meditating on the graciousness of Christ. To come to a world that hated Him, to a people that crucified Him, suffering alone with such intensity that we will never experience, melts my heart into submission to His love. If we are in the habit of surface reading we will never receive the depth of blessings God has ready to bestow upon us. He has promised wisdom, understanding and a new life in Him. I realize a great need to dig deeper into His word and spend more time in prayer.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2020, 05:08:35 AM »
When we look upon Christ, we have a clear revelation of the value of every soul. We see that even though we have a fallen nature, we are invited to be adopted into the family of God by baptism--a symbol of the miraculous renewing of the heart by divine grace. Such a renewal is the result of beholding the loveliness of Jesus and yielding the entire heart to Him so we become partakers of the divine nature. The divine nature manifests itself in every truly converted soul with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, reflecting the pattern of life that will be to God's own glory--a life of affectionate obedience to all that God has revealed in His law of love!

"And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, 'This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased,' embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. 'He hath made us accepted in the Beloved.' Ephesians 1:6. The glory that rested upon Christ is a pledge of the love of God for us. It tells us of the power of prayer,--how the human voice may reach the ear of God, and our petitions find acceptance in the courts of heaven. By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased." {The Desire of Ages, page 113, paragraph 1}

Victory in Jesus comes to each of us as we learn of Him, thus unlearning all the false messages we have felt or heard in this world in which we do not discern our true value to God. God values us according to what He paid for us--the very life of His Son, Jesus!! That means we have infinite value to God!! Let this loe sink into your heart and mind and it will transform how you treat people--for you will see that Jesus loves them and that in Christ we may do His will by an abiding union and communion with Him by grace through faith!

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2020, 07:00:40 AM »
"Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss[/u].

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

"The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!"

Are we "ASTONISHED" ?? Or do we carelessly take His "LOVE & SACRIFICE FOR GRANTED"?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon and Pastor Sean!  Jesus came into this world a helpless Baby subject to our weakness. Let's be move clear, He came with our fallen nature. It is important to understand this because our fallen nature is not an excuse for sin. We may become partakers of God's divine nature and have power to resist the temptation to sin.

Of the vast throng at the Jordan, few except John discerned the heavenly vision. Yet the solemnity of the divine Presence rested upon the assembly. The people stood silently gazing upon Christ. His form was bathed in the light that ever surrounds the throne of God. His upturned face was glorified as they had never before seen the face of man. From the open heavens a voice was heard saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
     These words of confirmation were given to inspire faith in those who witnessed the scene, and to strengthen the Saviour for His mission. Notwithstanding that the sins of a guilty world were laid upon Christ, notwithstanding the humiliation of taking upon Himself our fallen nature, the voice from heaven declared Him to be the Son of the Eternal. 

Yes, He is the Son of God and the son of man. He was God, but he took upon Himself our fallen nature. He was not just like us, He was and is God in human flesh. He had fallen flesh, now He has holy flesh. So it is our opportunity to be like Him when we give Him the whole heart. We may become partakers of His divine nature. Having sinful flesh is not an excuse for sin. God has provided a remedy for our selfishness in His Son. By beholding Him we may become changed in nature. It is the greatest miracle that ever was!