Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--11--The Baptism  (Read 16350 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: The Desire of Ages--11--The Baptism
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 04:38:22 AM »
Jesus did not receive baptism as a confession of guilt on His own account. He identified Himself with sinners, taking the steps that we are to take, and doing the work that we must do. His life of suffering and patient endurance after His baptism was also an example to us.

I think that this is an interesting statement. Maybe not a huge profound spiritual statement but still something worth pointing out. Christ identified with sinners. When I read this it reminded me of Moses and him pleading with God for their sake. And if my memory is correct Daniel also in his prayer counted himself among the erring. I'm guessing there are other examples that I'm not thinking of right now but my point is that true Godly leaders don't see themselves so much as leaders but as servants. True leaders understand their need of Christ and are just trying to lead by example and don't consider themselves "better" than those they lead because they see and understand how good, gracious, and merciful God has been to them.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »
Amen, Jim. As I was contemplating your statement, I thought of Moses. He is a good reason for us to consider who we are apart from Christ. What a life he led! What a character he developed. But, at the end of his life, he sinned a great sin, bringing reproach upon Christ and all he had taught. We never hear a false teacher saying "even Moses sinned." Why not? Because the wages of sin is death. Moses had to give up his temporal life because his sin was so great in the eyes of Israel. But, his repentance was quick and deep, thus he did not linger in the grave.

Yes, Jim, I too like what we read about Jesus identifying with sinners. More than being baptized, He came in the "likeness of sinful flesh." He took our fallen nature upon Himself and had to fight the battle of life as we must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss! What a Savior!!

Alone He must tread the path; alone He must bear the burden. Upon Him who had laid off His glory and accepted the weakness of humanity the redemption of the world must rest. He saw and felt it all, but His purpose remained steadfast. Upon His arm depended the salvation of the fallen race, and He reached out His hand to grasp the hand of Omnipotent Love.
     The Saviour's glance seems to penetrate heaven as He pours out His soul in prayer. Well He knows how sin has hardened the hearts of men,  and how difficult it will be for them to discern His mission, and accept the gift of salvation. He pleads with the Father for power to overcome their unbelief, to break the fetters with which Satan has enthralled them, and in their behalf to conquer the destroyer. He asks for the witness that God accepts humanity in the person of His Son.
     Never before have the angels listened to such a prayer. They are eager to bear to their loved Commander a message of assurance and comfort. But no; the Father Himself will answer the petition of His Son. Direct from the throne issue the beams of His glory. The heavens are opened, and upon the Saviour's head descends a dovelike form of purest light,--fit emblem of Him, the meek and lowly One.
     Of the vast throng at the Jordan, few except John discerned the heavenly vision. Yet the solemnity of the divine Presence rested upon the assembly. The people stood silently gazing upon Christ. His form was bathed in the light that ever surrounds the throne of God. His upturned face was glorified as they had never before seen the face of man. From the open heavens a voice was heard saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
     These words of confirmation were given to inspire faith in those who witnessed the scene, and to strengthen the Saviour for His mission. Notwithstanding that the sins of a guilty world were laid upon Christ, notwithstanding the humiliation of taking upon Himself our fallen nature, the voice from heaven declared Him to be the Son of the Eternal. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »
Amen, Jim and Richard! Jesus' identification with us is the pledge of our redemption. We rejoice in the reality of His coming to lift us up from the degradation of sin, and stepping down to reach us where we are, that by accepting His life through the power of the Holy Spirit, we too may share in His throne! Marvelous grace is all the plan of redemption! And yet how few even then understood His mission.

Upon coming up out of the water, Jesus bowed in prayer on the river bank. A new and important era was opening before Him. He was now, upon a wider stage, entering on the conflict of His life. Though He was the Prince of Peace, His coming must be as the unsheathing of a sword. The kingdom He had come to establish was the opposite of that which the Jews desired. He who was the foundation of the ritual and economy of Israel would be looked upon as its enemy and destroyer. He who had proclaimed the law upon Sinai would be condemned as a transgressor. He who had come to break the power of Satan would be denounced as Beelzebub. No one upon earth had understood Him, and during His ministry He must still walk alone. Throughout His life His mother and His brothers did not comprehend His mission. Even His disciples did not understand Him. He had dwelt in eternal light, as one with God, but His life on earth must be spent in solitude.

As we seek to uplift Jesus Christ and His loveliness, we may find courage in what Christ faced. He was misunderstood--as the idea that He had to die was not comprehended, and even today the gospel of His grace is often misunderstood. Many believe Christ covers them in their sins, when the pledge of baptism is for remission--washing away and forgiveness--of sin that is renounced and forsaken. We cannot overcome one sin without Christ, but the commission of one known sin silences the voice of the Holy Spirit and severs the soul from God (see Isaiah 59:2). But praise God there is more to the story--if we have sinned, we can respond to the pleading voice of the Holy Spirit knocking on our hearts (Revelation 3:20), and let Jesus back in to have possession of the heart. The evidence that He does have possession of the heart is that all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in the life without one missing, and we willingly walk in obedience to all the light that God has shed upon our life pathway. May we uplift Jesus higher and higher, that all may see their continual need, and in coming to discern His mission and purpose, experience the transformation of character that we each need! May Christ's baptismal prayer be answered for each of us!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 03:24:59 AM »
I absolutely love the revelation of the loveliness of Jesus that we see in our reading today--He came from heaven to bear our sin, so we can be made the righteousness of God in Him!! Hallelujah!!

As one with us, He must bear the burden of our guilt and woe. The Sinless One must feel the shame of sin. The peace lover must dwell with strife, the truth must abide with falsehood, purity with vileness. Every sin, every discord, every defiling lust that transgression had brought, was torture to His spirit. 
     Alone He must tread the path; alone He must bear the burden. Upon Him who had laid off His glory and accepted the weakness of humanity the redemption of the world must rest. He saw and felt it all, but His purpose remained steadfast. Upon His arm depended the salvation of the fallen race, and He reached out His hand to grasp the hand of Omnipotent Love.

Let us reach the hand that has grasped us--and abide in His love today by a continual full heart surrender to do His will by the Holy Sprit! The evidence that He is in us is that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing, and we will gladly follow every known statute of the law and word of God! Praise God for the opportunity to be baptized anew with the Holy Spirit today!!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »
Yes Pastor Sean the depth of love that God pours out on His erring children is without measure. I may not understand but I don't need to understand I just need to hold His hand. It is extended to each person on the planet to accept not to just a favored few. I like what you said about the fruit of the Spirit. And as you pointed out not one is to be missing and this is evidence that the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Richard keeps driving this vital point home as well. In a recent Sabbath School class not one person there believed this except the teacher. There are so many confused over this truth.

This caught my attention this morning...." By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am will pleased."

I have goose bumps as I meditate on the scope of what this is saying. Most importantly this message is for me personally. For many years I felt this was for others more deserving than I am but listen to this...."With all our sins and weaknesses we are not cast aside as worthless" and scripture reminds us that...."He (God) hath made us accepted in the Beloved." Eph. 1:6"

To refuse to reach out and take the hand of Jesus is like slapping His face. What more can He do? What more can He say? The ball is in our court to accept Him at His word or to reject Him as false.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
[/i][/b]I have goose bumps as I meditate on the scope of what this is saying. Most importantly this message is for me personally. For many years I felt this was for others more deserving than I am but listen to this...."With all our sins and weaknesses we are not cast aside as worthless" and scripture reminds us that...."He (God) hath made us accepted in the Beloved." Eph. 1:6"

Dorine, I can relate to your attitude. Often times people look back over their lives and are tempted to say ... no way, sure it can't be for me also. It's a ploy of the devil to get us to focus on our past mistakes instead of Christ. However, once we realize it's for us also.. personally!! What a day of rejoicing! We can't help but love Him back who first loved us!

Thank you for your thoughts this morning. Others will be blessed by this discussion.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 04:10:50 AM »
Jim and Dorine, I am deeply blessed as I reflect upon your posts here--especially as we realize how our hearts are changed as we internalize the message of God's acceptance of us through a full-heart surrender to Christ. In other words, I am accepted in Christ the moment I surrender my heart fully to Him--even though there is so much for me to still learn, and my fallen flesh still encumbers me. In light of this, I see why it is such a precious thought to realize that Jesus came "in the likeness of sinful flesh" (Romans 8:3), showing us that the issue of our acceptance with God is one of faith, not whether we retain our fallen nature. Christ's entire life was a crucifixion of the flesh, a constant sowing unto the Spirit. It is a mystery that we but faintly comprehend of the infinite condescension Christ endured just to come to our earth--but to know that in taking upon Himself our sins He endured "torture"?!! What love! As I think of what Christ has done for me, and how He is actively drawing my heart to Him moment-by-moment, how can I not be thankful, grateful, and eternally one with Him in continual surrender?

Love awakens love, and His love has begotten me again this morning to a lively hope in Him. I am in love with Jesus because He has so relentlessly pursued my heart. I realize that The Desire of Ages is a personal love letter from Jesus to my heart--every paragraph an entreaty, every sentence an invitation to fall even more in love with Him. I love the Bible, but I feel that God knew how dull our hearts and minds would be in these last days and He knew that we needed the encouragement and help that this precious revelation of Jesus would give us. It is like putting a magnifying glass upon the precious promises of the Bible, and making them blaze before our sight in glorious, wondrous light. And that light is drawing me ever closer to Jesus, and helping me to appreciate and comprehend in some degree a wondrous love that is infinite. "Heaven begins in the soul, and as heavenly-mindedness increases, Christ is more and more appreciated, and finally becomes the Chiefest among ten thousand, the One altogether lovely." {Signs of the Times, July 31, 1893, paragraph 2}

The act of removing sin from our lives on the part of God is an act of creation. By beholding Christ in full-heart surrender we are imbued with His love, which expels selfishness from the soul temple. Unless we have Christ formed within, the hope of glory, we have no vital connection with God, whose experience in drawing us to Himself is a constant revelation of the glory of the cross--the glory of self-sacrificing love extended to save the weakest of the weak, the poorest of the poor, that by adoption in Christ by a living-faith surrender to Him we are enabled to become the strongest of the strong, the richest of the rich in Him!

Those who accept Christ as a personal Savior, realizing the significance of His baptism for them, and the invitation to daily be baptized with His Spirit, will walk in a holy atmosphere of faith and love. A current of divine grace will be diffusive to all with whom we come in contact because "heaven begins in the soul, and as heavenly-mindedness increases, Christ is more and more appreciated, and finally becomes the Chiefest among ten thousand, the One altogether lovely" {Heaven, page 171, paragraph 4}. On the converse, I just learned that hell also is a matter of the soul: "Sin is from beneath; and when it is indulged, Satan is enshrined in the soul, there to kindle the very fires of hell" {Testimonies for the Church, Volume 4, page 345, paragraph 3}. Christ came to save us from hell and imbue us with heaven now by a true conversion experience. When we are born again of the divine Spirit, the very Spirit that descended upon Christ at His baptism to empower Him for ministry, we are filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit--not one is missing!

I am so thankful that Jesus was baptized for me, and He invites me to be baptized anew today with His Spirit!

"Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased" (Luke 3:21-22).

I was encouraged this morning in beholding the loveliness of Jesus, our Savior who was baptized for us:

"None among the hearers, and not even the speaker himself, discerned the import of these words, 'the Lamb of God.' Upon Mount Moriah, Abraham had heard the question of his son, 'My father, . . . where is the lamb for a burnt offering?' The father answered, 'My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering.' Genesis 22:7, 8. And in the ram divinely provided in the place of Isaac, Abraham saw a symbol of Him who was to die for the sins of men. The Holy Spirit through Isaiah, taking up the illustration, prophesied of the Saviour, 'He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter,' 'and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all' (Isaiah 53:7, 6); but the people of Israel had not understood the lesson. Many of them regarded the sacrificial offerings much as the heathen looked upon their sacrifices,--as gifts by which they themselves might propitiate the Deity. God desired to teach them that from His own love comes the gift which reconciles them to Himself." {The Desire of Ages, page 112, paragraph 5}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 04:54:08 AM »
Pastor Sean, all I can say is amen!!

As one with us, He must bear the burden of our guilt and woe. The Sinless One must feel the shame of sin. The peace lover must dwell with strife, the truth must abide with falsehood, purity with vileness. Every sin, every discord, every defiling lust that transgression had brought, was torture to His spirit.

Is it any wonder He was a man acquainted with grief and sorrow as He had to bear even the sins of who refuse His grace. This reminds me also of another chapter where we are told that He couldn't witness a wrong act without it being visible on His face! However, in the end He will have His reward and His goal of being reunited with His faithful children. I don't know what He'll say but I know that we will upon that great heavenly family reunion that Heaven was cheap enough no matter what we had to endure!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:11 AM »
Amen, Jim! Whatever the cost, we may have peace in this world, and enjoy the companionship of our Savior for eternity if we will but give self up in this world. But, the cost paid by our Lord was so much more than our minds have been able to comprehend.

"This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." These words of confirmation were given to inspire faith in those who witnessed the scene, and to strengthen the Saviour for His mission. Notwithstanding that the sins of a guilty world were laid upon Christ, notwithstanding the humiliation of taking upon Himself our fallen nature, the voice from heaven declared Him to be the Son of the Eternal. 

Jesus took upon Himself our fallen nature. Away with the false teachings of Desmond Ford and others who teach He came in the nature of Adam before the fall. No, as Pastor Sean has pointed out, Jesus came in the likeness of sinful flesh.

In other words, I am accepted in Christ the moment I surrender my heart fully to Him--even though there is so much for me to still learn, and my fallen flesh still encumbers me. In light of this, I see why it is such a precious thought to realize that Jesus came "in the likeness of sinful flesh" (Romans 8:3), showing us that the issue of our acceptance with God is one of faith, not whether we retain our fallen nature. Christ's entire life was a crucifixion of the flesh, a constant sowing unto the Spirit. It is a mystery that we but faintly comprehend of the infinite condescension Christ endured just to come to our earth--but to know that in taking upon Himself our sins He endured "torture"?!! What love! As I think of what Christ has done for me, and how He is actively drawing my heart to Him moment-by-moment, how can I not be thankful, grateful, and eternally one with Him in continual surrender?

Jesus was God, but He overcame in fallen flesh, as we must do. Having fallen flesh is no excuse for sin. God has provided a remedy for sin, His Son. "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." 1 John 3:9. As long as His Seed remaineth in us, we cannot sin. If we let loose of Jesus, then we cannot help but sin. It is only as we partake of His divine nature can we resist the smallest temptation to sin.

What a God who has given all for us that we might live!!! It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man’s nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life....God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life’s peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.    Desire of Ages, chapter four.

Wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth!!  Herein is love unsurpassed!!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
How old was John when Jesus began his ministry? He was just a little older than Jesus for he was born just before Jesus was born. Imagine knowing that you were given a work, as was John, and had to wait 30 years in order to do that which God called you to do.

John was acquainted with the events that had marked the birth of Jesus. He had heard of the visit to Jerusalem in His boyhood, and of what had passed in the school of the rabbis. He knew of His sinless life, and believed Him to be the Messiah; but of this he had no positive assurance. The fact that Jesus had for so many years remained in obscurity, giving no special evidence of His mission, gave occasion for doubt as to whether He could be the Promised One. The Baptist, however, waited in faith, believing that in God's own time all would be made plain. It had been revealed to him that the Messiah would seek baptism at his hands, and that a sign of His divine character should then be given. Thus he would be enabled to present Him to the people.

God has called you and me to a work. Are we as faithful as was John, to patiently wait? We live in the anti-typical day of atonement. Jesus is coming very soon. Let us prepare to do the work that God has called us to do. We, as a people have been entrusted with the sacred truths that reconcile sinners with God. What a privilege is ours!

John had been deeply moved as he saw Jesus bowed as a suppliant, pleading with tears for the approval of the Father. As the glory of God encircled Him, and the voice from heaven was heard, John recognized the token which God had promised. He knew that it was the world's Redeemer whom he had baptized. The Holy Spirit rested upon him, and with outstretched hand pointing to Jesus, he cried, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."
     None among the hearers, and not even the speaker himself, discerned the import of these words, "the Lamb of God." Upon Mount Moriah, Abraham had heard the question of his son, "My father, . . . where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" The father answered, "My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering." Genesis 22:7, 8. And in the ram divinely provided in the place of Isaac, Abraham saw a symbol of Him who was to die for the sins of men. The Holy Spirit through Isaiah, taking up the illustration, prophesied of the Saviour, "He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter," "and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all" (Isaiah 53:7, 6); but the people of Israel had not understood the lesson. Many of them regarded the sacrificial offerings much as the heathen looked upon their sacrifices,--as gifts by which they themselves might propitiate the Deity. God desired to teach them that from His own love comes the gift which reconciles them to Himself.

John did not understand the Lamb had to die. But, we understand that it is by beholding the Lamb that was slain from the foundation of the world, we are transformed in character to reflect Him who gave all that we might live. Let us take this message to a world soon to perish.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 03:32:06 AM »
Jesus understands our experience. Our Father accepts us in the Beloved, as we surrender our whole heart to Him, we are given a new heart and a new mind, and Jesus imputes and imparts His righteousness to us. He continues to transform us by His divine grace, and we are changed from glory to glory by the power of the Holy Spirit. I am so thankful for Jesus' baptism and that through Him I have access to our Heavenly Father! What a Savior!

"And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, 'This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased,' embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. 'He hath made us accepted in the Beloved.' Ephesians 1:6. The glory that rested upon Christ is a pledge of the love of God for us. It tells us of the power of prayer,--how the human voice may reach the ear of God, and our petitions find acceptance in the courts of heaven. By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased." {The Desire of Ages, page 113, paragraph 1}

I choose to trust Jesus today--faith over feeling--and rely implicitly upon the strength and grace Jesus gives me as I receive a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit! Praise the Lord!

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 05:02:51 AM »
"The glory that rested upon Christ is a pledge of the love of God for us. It tells us of the power of prayer,--how the human voice may reach the ear of God, and our petitions find acceptance in the courts of heaven. By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased.
     "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is." 1 John 3:2. Our Redeemer has opened the way so that the most sinful, the most needy, the most oppressed and despised, may find access to the Father. All may have a home in the mansions which Jesus has gone to prepare. "These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; . . . behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it." Revelation 3:7, 8."

As we go forth to face the duties of today may we bask in the reality of what these words are saying.  Sometimes my heart is so full with the realization of God's love for me that any attempt at putting it to words escape me. I just want to gratefully hold on to Him in silence and not let Him go. With a song in my heart and a prayer on my lips I surrender my life to Him today.

Amen Pastor Sean. I like your comment about "faith over feeling".  Feelings are so strong and Satan uses them to his advantage when we are not consistently surrendered to Jesus.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 06:52:06 AM »
Amen and amen!! What love!!

He who had proclaimed the law upon Sinai would be condemned as a transgressor. He who had come to break the power of Satan would be denounced as Beelzebub. No one upon earth had understood Him, and during His ministry He must still walk alone. Throughout His life His mother and His brothers did not comprehend His mission. Even His disciples did not understand Him. He had dwelt in eternal light, as one with God, but His life on earth must be spent in solitude.

But, Jesus was not alone, His Father was with Him. So too, many times we will feel very alone. The world will not understand us, neither will our brothers and sisters understand what we are going through. But, Jesus does, and if He be for us, who can be against us!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »
Amen, Richard and Dorine!!  Even though others may not understand is, we know that Jesus does!!

Are you trying to improve before you come to Jesus? Are you waiting to feel accepted once you “fix” everything (or at least a few things) in your character? Wait no more! Come to Christ just as you are!!

“(For He saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)” 2 Corinthians 6:2.

The evidence of our acceptance is not in ourselves, it is in Christ!!

As you yield the entire heart to Him, there is no limit to what He can do in and through us as we, by beholding, are changed from glory to glory, from character to character!!

“And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, ‘This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased,’ embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. ‘He hath made us accepted in the Beloved.’ Ephesians 1:6.” {The Desire of Ages, page 113, paragraph 1}

After having that morning time with Jesus today, I am so encouraged! Will you join me walking in the joy of the Lord, no matter how you feel, no matter what your circumstances?

Dorine

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 08:16:53 AM »
"Jesus did not receive baptism as a confession of guilt on His own account. He identified Himself with sinners, taking the steps that we are to take, and doing the work that we must do. His life of suffering and patient endurance after His baptism was also an example to us."

When we follow in the footsteps of Jesus we cannot go wrong. Our hearts will be entwined with His and our actions will be the result of Him dwelling in us. He is an example of what we become when we are walking daily with Him in full surrender. It's a beautiful thing to live in His presence all day long; conversing with Him even amidst the hustle of daily life. He is the best and closest friend we can ever have. And yes Pastor Sean I want to walk in the joy of the Lord today no matter the circumstances.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 03:36:26 AM »
Jesus condescended to reach us where we are. So we must do if we will become the agency of saving the souls around us. We are not to participate in the sin, but we are to come close to those who are tempted, sinful, and weak. We are to befriend the friendless, encourage the hopeless, and follow Christ's method in reaching souls for His kingdom. Christ's baptism is the pledge that we can have His presence abiding in our souls amid the most turbulent and trying of human circumstances, because He Himself has trod the path before us and pressed down the cruel thorns so we can walk in His steps--not apart from Him, but moment-by-moment actively cleaving to Him so He can speak through us to reach the hearts of those who know not His tender, pitying love. Whether people around us know Him or not, the evidence that we are abiding in Him will be manifest. Even though we are weak and in need of His presence every moment to do any good thing, the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be exuded from the life as we live by faith on Jesus, and we will gladly follow all the light of God's law we know as we are led by His Spirit in the path of obedience where God's providence leads us to win souls!

"As one with us, He must bear the burden of our guilt and woe. The Sinless One must feel the shame of sin. The peace lover must dwell with strife, the truth must abide with falsehood, purity with vileness. Every sin, every discord, every defiling lust that transgression had brought, was torture to His spirit." {The Desire of Ages, page 111, paragraph 3} 
     "Alone He must tread the path; alone He must bear the burden. Upon Him who had laid off His glory and accepted the weakness of humanity the redemption of the world must rest. He saw and felt it all, but His purpose remained steadfast. Upon His arm depended the salvation of the fallen race, and He reached out His hand to grasp the hand of Omnipotent Love." {The Desire of Ages, page 111, paragraph 3} 

Dorine

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 06:07:54 AM »
"When Jesus came to be baptized, John recognized in Him a purity of character that he had never before perceived in any man. The very atmosphere of His presence was holy and awe-inspiring. Among the multitudes that had gathered about him at the Jordan, John had heard dark tales of crime, and had met souls bowed down with the burden of myriad sins; but never had he come in contact with a human being from whom there breathed an influence so divine."

This statement spoke most clearly to me this morning. The same will be said about those who know Jesus and walk with Him day by day. People will see a difference in us before we even say a word. I've only known about 3 people in my lifetime that comes close to that description. Two were pastors and one was a high school teacher. They had a profound spiritual influence on my life. Then I ask myself....what do others see when I am in their company? Do they recognize that I'm a child of God reflecting His character and love for them, or do they see me as just one of them joining in with the conversation that is anything but spiritually uplifting?

Thank you, Father, in heaven for the example of your Son Jesus. I want to be just like Him inside and out. Please take my heart today. Search it and cleanse it from any evil seed that may be lurking there and fill me with your Holy Spirit. May my life reveal today that you abide in my heart. In Jesus precious name; Amen.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 07:01:33 PM »
Amen, Dear Sister!  The closer we get to Jesus, the more sinful we shall appear in our own eyes. But, that is because we truly are understanding who we are apart from Christ. But, the closer we get to Jesus the more we reflect His character because we love Him and the Spirit indwells the heart. As impossible as it seems, the converted Christian is a world apart from the unrepentant sinner. The countenance reflects who has the heart.

As Pastor Sean shared, Jesus walked alone. We too must at times walk alone. But, Jesus knew of His father's love and never let go of that. So, we too, will never be apart from Christ if we cling to Him. No matter how great the trial, He will be with us to sustain and comfort us. Nothing touches us without first going through Him.

And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased," embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. "He hath made us accepted in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:6. The glory that rested upon Christ is a pledge of the love of God for us. It tells us of the power of prayer,--how the human voice may reach the ear of God, and our petitions find acceptance in the courts of heaven. By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 05:23:38 AM »
Never before have the angels listened to such a prayer. They are eager to bear to their loved Commander a message of assurance and comfort. But no; the Father Himself will answer the petition of His Son. Direct from the throne issue the beams of His glory. The heavens are opened, and upon the Saviour's head descends a dovelike form of purest light,--fit emblem of Him, the meek and lowly One.

I love how the angels are described here. They are eager or maybe even anxious to aid and comfort their master and to do His bidding. Should it not be the same for us?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 05:40:50 AM »
Amen, Jim! When we really know who Jesus is and love Him with the whole heart, it is a privilege and a joy to do His will! It is our highest delight!

I love how through Christ we may find acceptance with God--not an acceptance that condones and encourages us to live in sin, but an acceptance that is so deeply connected to His character that as we behold the loveliness of Jesus, His perfect life and death and sufferings, He uproots from our hearts the desire to sin and gives us a supernatural hatred for sin. (Love awakens love!) That is the miracle of conversion by grace through faith, of which we need a fresh experience every day through a full heart surrender to Jesus! "I die daily" (1 Corinthians 15:31).

"And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, 'This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased,' embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. 'He hath made us accepted in the Beloved.' Ephesians 1:6. The glory that rested upon Christ is a pledge of the love of God for us. It tells us of the power of prayer,--how the human voice may reach the ear of God, and our petitions find acceptance in the courts of heaven. By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion; but Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory. His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven. The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation. The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul, This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased." {The Desire of Ages, page 113, paragraph 1}