Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--8--The Passover Visit  (Read 18663 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: The Desire of Ages--8--The Passover Visit
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 06:52:36 AM »
Dorine, what you've quoted always hits me as a very somber warning as I'm reading through the Desire of Ages each time. You're right very few understand this much less believe it to be true. On the other hand as you have stated it's not God that has wandered it's us but He is never far away. As I type this I am reminded of something from chapter the chapter Ministry and it goes like this....

He who healed the sick and cast out demons when He walked among men is the same mighty Redeemer today. Faith comes by the word of God. Then grasp His promise, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37. Cast yourself at His feet with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." You can never perish while you do this--never.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 08:04:09 AM »
Amen, Jim. If we would continually pray this prayer, it would be more difficult to wander away from Jesus. What is scary is the thought that when we allow our mind to drift away from Jesus and unbelief comes in, how long will it take for us to find Him again? Some never do.  :(   David is a good example of the what Dorine shared from this current chapter. How long did it take for Mary and Joseph to find Jesus? How long did it take for David to find Jesus again after he separated from Him. And, when we separate from Him, no matter why, we are in great danger. What happened to David when separated from Christ? Yes, he violated the seventh commandment. But, worse yet, he had a man murdered.

It would be good for those who excuse their forgetting of Jesus so that they might excuse their sin to consider their danger when they let their mind wander away from Christ. We need to cling to Christ continually. And, soon, so very soon, there will be no more forgiveness of sin. No more atonement. No more intercessor. Then what? The character must be perfected today, we must develop habits of clinging to Jesus.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 09:40:44 AM »
Oops! There's a big difference between wander and wonder. I'm glad you knew what I meant. It pays to proofread before posting.  ::)

Just like children we need repetition. At least I do. Each time we revisit a topic God reveals new insights that we did not see before.
That's a beautiful promise Jim. Thank you. I love the statement "You can never perish while you do this; never.

Richard you made reference to those that excuse Eve's sin because she was deceived. The chapter on the fall pointed out that God counted Eve's sin worse than Adam's because the root of hers was unbelief.

When we start excusing sin it shows that we are hanging on to things we do not want to surrender so if I can find a way to keep my darling sins and still have a home in heaven then I will not stop until I find it. Even though it's a lie. (Unless God is able to get my attention and I allow Him to turn me around.)

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 06:48:04 AM »
I appreciate seeing the insights from the conversation above that the three of you have engaged in, Jim, Richard, and Doreen. If we do not realize our continual need of Jesus, and if we do not come to grips with the truth that a known sin reveals a separation from God, even though we have so much light from the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy, we are in a very dangerous place. Mary and Joseph had been entrusted with Jesus--the Son of God--but their high and holy trust did not excuse their sin.

Somehow it seems that Satan tries to make "little sins" (like just losing sight of Jesus) seem like "not a big deal"--but that is a great deception, and it leads to carelessness of spirit and to a neglect to continually ally our hearts and thoughts with Jesus. Yet in this chapter we see how it is that such a continual union and communion may be experienced and maintained:

If Joseph and Mary had stayed their minds upon God by meditation and prayer, they would have realized the sacredness of their trust, and would not have lost sight of Jesus. By one day's neglect they lost the Saviour; but it cost them three days of anxious search to find Him. So with us; by idle talk, evilspeaking, or neglect of prayer, we may in one day lose the Saviour's presence, and it may take many days of sorrowful search to find Him, and regain the peace that we have lost.

In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us. When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked. This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ.

Many attend religious services, and are refreshed and comforted by the word of God; but through neglect of meditation, watchfulness, and prayer, they lose the blessing, and find themselves more destitute than before they received it. Often they feel that God has dealt hardly with them. They do not see that the fault is their own. By separating themselves from Jesus, they have shut away the light of His presence.

It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross.

As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory." 2 Cor. 3:18.

This page from Desire of Ages (page 83) reveals the simplicity of the gospel. I am in continual need of this experience and taking heed to these warnings and encouragements to remain connected with Jesus. May we as a people not only appreciate but experience this most precious reality--"Christ in you, the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27)!!!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 07:49:56 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean.  It is a well kept secret that we can have power to walk in the path that Jesus walked. We can love God and our neighbor as ourselves. We can manifest love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance if we will learn of God. If we will behold the loveliness of Jesus, it is a promise that our minds will be transformed, our hearts will be cleansed, we will be changed into His image (character) by His Spirit. We can keep the commandments of God......today.

We will not be able to shed our sinful flesh, but we can keep it under if we will abide in Jesus and allow Him to take possession of the the heart. "I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." 1 Corinthians 9:27.

This is the gospel, this is the power of grace to transform sinners into saints. It is something that needs to be shouted from the housetops until our people understand. Jesus is drawing all unto Himself, but we must respond to the drawing. We must cease resisting His love. We must spend time getting to know Him, then we must not forget Him. We must keep our eyes focused on Christ. It would indeed be well to start the day off by beholding Him, then we must do as did Daniel. He stopped at noon, then again in the evening to maintain his connection with Christ. We may have to stop six times a day to do it. Whatever it takes to not forget Jesus, that we do not continue to crucify Him afresh.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
The revelation of the life of Jesus is such a blessing for us. It is amazing to contemplate the thinking of Jesus on that first visit to Passover in Jerusalem. His mind was being led by God as to His mission. There are mysteries in the incarnation of Christ. He was still God, but He grew as each child of humanity must grow. He learned as we are to learn. It was His desire to know God that separated Him from the priests that were following traditions rather than seeking understanding. So it is today. Are we truly seeking to know God, or are we just following the traditions of the church? Why do we study the Bible? Are we reading Desire of Ages in order to know God?

It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross.
     As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory." 2 Corinthians 3:18.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
Richard, i must admit that when I read this each time it is a reminder to me that Jesus was human. He learned as we learned. Knowing Him to be my God and Savior makes it a little harder for me to keep in mind that He was child like I was child and certain knowledge is given during certain stages of growth and understanding is deepened. However, this just makes Him that much dearer to me.

We are reading of Christ in the New Testament in the four gospels but look how often we are pointed back to the Old Testament and the important lessons that it has for us.

As His mission had opened to Jesus in the temple, He shrank from contact with the multitude. He wished to return from Jerusalem in quietness, with those who knew the secret of His life. By the paschal service, God was seeking to call His people away from their worldly cares, and to remind them of His wonderful work in their deliverance from Egypt. In this work He desired them to see a promise of deliverance from sin. As the blood of the slain lamb sheltered the homes of Israel, so the blood of Christ was to save their souls; but they could be saved through Christ only as by faith they should make His life their own. There was virtue in the symbolic service only as it directed the worshipers to Christ as their personal Saviour. God desired that they should be led to prayerful study and meditation in regard to Christ's mission.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 08:37:01 AM »
Amen, Richard and Jim! I appreciate your reflections today on this wonderful chapter. It is indeed a great blessing to be able to experience the grace of Christ in our lives, and to let Jesus' loveliness of character reveal to us the importance of continual communion. I am reminded of the mental experience that Jesus was experiencing as He witnessed the service that revealed His death:

For the first time the child Jesus looked upon the temple. He saw the white-robed priests performing their solemn ministry. He beheld the bleeding victim upon the altar of sacrifice. With the worshipers He bowed in prayer, while the cloud of incense ascended before God. He witnessed the impressive rites of the paschal service. Day by day He saw their meaning more clearly. Every act seemed to be bound up with His own life. New impulses were awakening within Him. Silent and absorbed, He seemed to be studying out a great problem. The mystery of His mission was opening to the Saviour.

The "great problem" was how salvation was only possible through the death of the Lamb, Himself! While the Jews had largely lost sight of this fact and placed confidence in the sacrificial services themselves as having power to expiate sin, Jesus was being taught of the Holy Spirit, and He came to understand at an early age that the Lamb had to die. Such an important truth. We can be saved only through the death of Christ in our behalf, and we are to have His character imparted to us as we behold Him. I appreciate the quotes that you again shared, Richard. Indeed, this is our great need!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 06:31:37 AM »
The mother of Jesus had been instructed about the miracle of the birth of Christ, the Holy One. But, on the day of crucifixion, she did not believe Him to be the Messiah. How could this be? Of all on this Earth, she ought to have not lost her faith. But, the deceptions Satan had brought into Israel had so perverted the truth that she did not even understand the Lamb had to die. At the age of 12, it was Jesus' intent to open her mind to His mission.

If the following is prayerfully studied, it will help those who have not yet obtained the experience they desire, understand what they must do. Beholding the loveliness of Jesus has power to transform the character.

As His mission had opened to Jesus in the temple, He shrank from contact with the multitude. He wished to return from Jerusalem in quietness, with those who knew the secret of His life. By the paschal service, God was seeking to call His people away from their worldly cares, and to remind them of His wonderful work in their deliverance from Egypt. In this work He desired them to see a promise of deliverance from sin. As the blood of the slain lamb sheltered the homes of Israel, so the blood of Christ was to save their souls; but they could be saved through Christ only as by faith they should make His life their own. There was virtue in the symbolic service only as it directed the worshipers to Christ as their personal Saviour. God desired that they should be led to prayerful study and meditation in regard to Christ's mission. But as the multitudes left Jerusalem, the excitement of travel and social intercourse too often absorbed their attention, and the service they had witnessed was forgotten. The Saviour was not attracted to their company.
     As Joseph and Mary should return from Jerusalem alone with Jesus, He hoped to direct their minds to the prophecies of the suffering Saviour. Upon Calvary He sought to lighten His mother's grief. He was thinking of her now. Mary was to witness His last agony, and Jesus desired her to understand His mission, that she might be strengthened to endure, when the sword should pierce through her soul. As Jesus had been separated from her, and she had sought Him sorrowing three days, so when He should be offered up for the sins of the world, He would again be lost to her for three days. And as He should come forth from the tomb, her sorrow would again be turned to joy. But how much better she could have borne the anguish of His death if she had understood the Scriptures to which He was now trying to turn her thoughts!
     If Joseph and Mary had stayed their minds upon God by meditation and prayer, they would have realized the sacredness of their trust, and would not have lost sight of Jesus.
By one day's neglect they lost the Saviour; but it cost them three days of anxious search to find Him. So with us; by idle talk, evilspeaking, or neglect of prayer, we may in one day lose the Saviour's presence, and it may take many days of sorrowful search to find Him, and regain the peace that we have lost.
     In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us. When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked. This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ.
     Many attend religious services, and are refreshed and comforted by the word of God; but through neglect of meditation, watchfulness, and prayer, they lose the blessing, and find themselves more destitute than before they received it. Often they feel that God has dealt hardly with them. They do not see that the fault is their own. By separating themselves from Jesus, they have shut away the light of His presence.
     It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ.
We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross.
     As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory." 2 Corinthians 3:18.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 07:30:24 AM »
Amen, Richard! The statements that you quoted shared how liable we are as erring human beings to slip into a Laodicean condition, in which Christ is not in the heart. Thankfully, there is a divine remedy, and it is in harmony with the message to the Laodicean church in Revelation 3:

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Now compare the promise given when we behold the loveliness of Jesus:

It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross. {DA 83.4}

It is striking that the need and the remedy is the same. Apart from beholding Christ and having Him in the soul, we are destitute of spiritual life. There is nothing good in us by nature. We need Jesus constantly.

In Revelation 3:18, we are promised that Christ will give us "gold tried in the fire"--another way to say that is faith which works by love. Faith is confidence in God because we behold His grace (for we are saved by grace through faith!). So by beholding Christ we are given stronger confidence in Him--we have the gold tried in the fire! That is what is promised in Desire of Ages page 83, paragraph 4: "our confidence in Him will be more constant"! That is the first remedy for a Laodicean condition. But He promises more!

There is also "white raiment"--that is the righteousness of Christ. His righteousness is imputed (covers our past confessed sins, as though we have never sinned), and imparted (wrought in the soul by the impartation of the Holy Spirit). We are MADE RIGHTEOUS by His abiding presence! When we have Christ's righteousness, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives--not one will be missing! That corresponds in the promise of Desire of Ages page 83, paragraph 4, with "our love will be quickened"--when we truly have the love of God in the soul, all of the fruits of the Spirit come with His unselfish love! We need a deeper filling of His love daily--and that comes by beholding the loveliness of Jesus!

But then there is EVEN MORE! Christ promises in Revelation 3:18 to give us "eyesalve"--only when Christ is abiding in the heart do we fully see how sinful and needy we really are. It is the Holy Spirit who not only reveals to us our sinfulness, but the power of our Savior! So when the promise in Desire of Ages says "we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit," we can see that this is the offer of eyesalve. Only when we behold Jesus do we see how unlike Him we are by nature, and that WE NEED HIM CONSTANTLY to do ANY GOOD THING! When we are aware of our need, Jesus is MORE THAN ABLE to keep us from falling into sin or yielding to the clamors of our fallen nature! I am SO SO SO SO THANKFUL for Jesus and for the remedy to the Laodicean condition that we find in our reading today! Hallelujah! Let us continually abide in Him, that we may be enabled to help others experience the transforming power of the three-fold remedy!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »
Amen!  The Laodicean message is a strong rebuke, so strong that few will give it. But as you point out, Pastor Sean, it is a message of great hope. Jesus does not let go of us easily. He stands at the door of the heart pleading for entrance. Not all hearts are so hardened they cannot hear Him. Those who want to be His, may be if they will heed the counsel of the True Witness. Buy of Him "gold tried in the fire, white raiment, and eye salve." Come let us reason together saith the Lord. It is not an impossible thing to know Christ. It just takes some time sitting at His feet, feeding upon the Bread of Life. Thank you for sharing, Pastor Sean. What a blessing to see the solution to our Laodicean condition!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »
It is indeed a blessing to share, as the statement in Desire of Ages page 83, paragraph 4 has meant SO MUCH to me personally to keep me abiding in Jesus. It has been only in the last few months or so that the Holy Spirit showed me the direct connection with Revelation 3 and Desire of Ages page 83, paragraph 4. It became so clear to me as I reflected prayerfully on the underlying meaning of the remedy Jesus promises. I really believe many desire to have Jesus in the heart continually, but that they may not know how to have that experience. Others may have read or heard the Laodicean message, but do not know what it means in personal daily practice. Some think that we are all Laodicean and that is "just the way things are." But no--we can individually respond to Jesus, and be REVIVED and REFORMED out of a lost spiritual condition (Laodicean condition) that "feels saved" because it is so common around us. By seeing the connection between these inspired statements, it is my prayer and hope that many more will come to experience the simplify of the gospel. By beholding Christ we are changed. By spending that thoughtful hour with Him He is doing something in me, in you, and in each of us that is miraculous--and we need Him continually! Our need is great, but our Savior is greater!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 04:56:24 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean.  It is how we can keep from losing sight of Jesus. 2 Corinthians 3:18 is a well kept secret in professing Christianity.

[/color]

The light is shining brightly upon God's church, but just as it was with the priests that day when Jesus first taught them, the truth is not appreciated by many in high positions. They have lost sight of Jesus and will not take time to learn of Him who gave all that they might live.

They could not but see that their expectation in regard to the Messiah was not sustained by prophecy; but they would not renounce the theories that had flattered their ambition. They would not admit that they had misapprehended the Scriptures they claimed to teach. From one to another passed the inquiry, How hath this youth knowledge, having never learned? The light was shining in darkness; but "the darkness apprehended it not." John 1:5, R. V. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2017, 08:30:21 AM »
Amen, Richard! The paragraphs you posted are indeed precious, and it is from this chapter that we find that much-needed encouragement to spend a "thoughtful hour" with Jesus each day. I love reflecting upon what it was like for Christ to experience His first Passover:

For the first time the child Jesus looked upon the temple. He saw the white-robed priests performing their solemn ministry. He beheld the bleeding victim upon the altar of sacrifice. With the worshipers He bowed in prayer, while the cloud of incense ascended before God. He witnessed the impressive rites of the paschal service. Day by day He saw their meaning more clearly. Every act seemed to be bound up with His own life. New impulses were awakening within Him. Silent and absorbed, He seemed to be studying out a great problem. The mystery of His mission was opening to the Saviour.

If the "mystery of His mission" was opening to the Savior, will not God also, by the Holy Spirit, impress us with our mission as we behold the sacrifice of Christ? Will He not reveal to us how we are to be "living sacrifices" today in all we say and do? I love how the gospel reaches from what Christ has done and is doing for us to what He accomplishes in us as we behold Him and surrender to Him. What a blessed Savior we have!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 03:47:55 AM »
As we behold, appreciate, cherish, and speak of the loveliness of Jesus, we are transformed and elevated in character. If every single Christian learned this experience and put it into practice, Jesus would come SO SOON! In order to be ready for His second coming, we must have Him continually abiding with us!

"If Joseph and Mary had stayed their minds upon God by meditation and prayer, they would have realized the sacredness of their trust, and would not have lost sight of Jesus. By one day's neglect they lost the Saviour; but it cost them three days of anxious search to find Him. So with us; by idle talk, evilspeaking, or neglect of prayer, we may in one day lose the Saviour's presence, and it may take many days of sorrowful search to find Him, and regain the peace that we have lost." {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 1}
     "In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us. When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked. This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 2} 
     "Many attend religious services, and are refreshed and comforted by the word of God; but through neglect of meditation, watchfulness, and prayer, they lose the blessing, and find themselves more destitute than before they received it. Often they feel that God has dealt hardly with them. They do not see that the fault is their own. By separating themselves from Jesus, they have shut away the light of His presence."  {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 3}
    "It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross."  {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 4}
     "As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be 'changed into the same image from glory to glory.' 2 Corinthians 3:18." {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 5}

What a precious experience Jesus has for us today as we behold His loveliness and surrender to Him continually through continual communion!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 10:57:37 PM »
Amen Pastor Shawn. If we want to love Jesus with the whole heart, we must know him well enough to trust him with everything we have and everything we are. It would indeed be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating his life. By beholding him we will be changed into his image from glory to glory.

I have always been impressed with the truth we read that Jesus discovered who he was when he was 12 years old and first came to the temple.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2017, 06:36:08 AM »
This is a simply profound thought as to what comes to us by beholding Jesus’ loveliness:

It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross. – {The Desire of Ages, Page 83, paragraph 4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »
Amen, Pastor Sean.  What a lesson for us to learn. We need Jesus so very much. There are lessons we can learn from His life. I love to contemplate Jesus at 12 when He first discovered He was the Lamb that was to be slain. What an amazing truth for Him to understand at age 12. And, He then set about to share this truth with His parents. If Mary had learned the truth, how much easier would have been those hours she spent watching Jesus hanging on the cross.

Imagine that! If we would contemplate His sacrifice, we would be spared much heartache also. It is indeed by beholding His character of grace that we are transformed into His image (2 Cor. 3:18). If we would keep our eyes focused upon Jesus we would not fall into the water as did Peter. When we allow our minds to wander elsewhere, we have no power to resist temptation.

If Joseph and Mary had stayed their minds upon God by meditation and prayer, they would have realized the sacredness of their trust, and would not have lost sight of Jesus. By one day's neglect they lost the Saviour; but it cost them three days of anxious search to find Him. So with us; by idle talk, evilspeaking, or neglect of prayer, we may in one day lose the Saviour's presence, and it may take many days of sorrowful search to find Him, and regain the peace that we have lost. 

Dorine

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2018, 05:54:03 AM »
    "In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us. When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked. This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ. 
     As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory." 2 Corinthians 3:18."

In deciding what to post I couldn't limit it to just a few sentences. This whole section spoke directly to me. I read it over a few times to let it sink in. How easy it is to forget Jesus when in the influence of others that are caught up in worldly conversation and activities. The most startling warning was the sentence that says the holy angels cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired. Do we truly understand what that is saying?

I especially love the very last paragraph.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2018, 06:37:59 AM »
Amen, dear Sister Dorine!  We have learned well the lesson taught in the last paragraph. This morning, my thoughts were turned to the paragraphs you began your quote with.

If we will allow this truth to take possession of the heart, we shall be protected from a heresy which has come into the church through the conservative movement wherein sin is excused.