Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--2--The Chosen People  (Read 17250 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--2--The Chosen People
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2018, 07:40:22 AM »
Amen and amen!  We have purpose in life. As I read this morning, I continue to appreciate the reason why we were given this wonderful revelation of God and His plan of redemption and security for the universe. The Bible tells us that Israel of Old is an ensample (example) for those whom the end of the world has come. Who is that? It is us. What lessons are we to learn from today's reading? Sadly, when we compare yesterday's chapter with today's, we are not seeing to a great degree the same thing. Why not? Because fallen man has been deceived and needs to see there is a working from below that wants to keep him from seeing the truth that brings restoration of character to those who learn of God and the plan He has put in place.

If we listen to Peter shortly before he died, we will better understand why God presented to us today's chapter. This is from 2 Peter.

1:14   Knowing that shortly I must put off [this] my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath showed me. 
 1:15   Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance. 
 1:16   For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 
 1:17   For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. 
 1:18   And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. 
 1:19   We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 
 1:20   Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 
 1:21   For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost. 

Chapter 2

2:1   But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 
 2:2   And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. 
 2:3   And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. 
 2:4   For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast [them] down to hell, and delivered [them] into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 
 2:5   And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth [person], a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; 
 2:6   And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned [them] with an overthrow, making [them] an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly; 
 2:7   And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: 
 2:8   (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed [his] righteous soul from day to day with [their] unlawful deeds;) 
 2:9   The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished: 

I feel the same burden as did Peter. Keep these things in remembrance so that your faith remains strong and Satan's effort to deceive will not deprive you of your prize. The very same deceptions work today as they did then. It is rare to find those who are truly converted and understand the power of grace to transform the character, at conversion. Israel perverted the truth and set up a system whereby they thought keeping their system of laws would save them. But, they did not understand that it was Christ the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world that would save them. Thus when Jesus came to His own. His own knew Him not.

What would be the situation if Jesus came today? How many would be prepared to live in heaven? Today's reading is presented in hopes that we as a people might understandrist our continual need of grace in order to do any good thing. It was written that we might consider what happened to Israel that we might seek after God with the whole heart, that we might love Him supremely and escape the corruption that is in the world, and has come into His church. We need Jesus' grace that we might be cleansed of sin, that we might prove the righteousness of Christ to a world soon to perish. We are not to follow in the path of Israel.

"With too many of the people obedience was not prompted by love. The motive was selfish. They rendered outward service to God as the means of attaining to national greatness. They did not become the light of the world..."

We are here speaking of God's "chosen people." Why does this have meaning to us today? Because we know we are God's chosen people. For what reason did God choose a people? Israel was to reveal God's character not only to the nations of the world, but to the watching universe. Where they failed, the Seventh-day Adventist Church will not fail. But, we have not rightly represented God's character yet. As a people we have been walking in the footsteps of ancient Israel. We have spent more than 40 years wandering in the wilderness. But, the good news is that the gospel of grace is being proclaimed from within modern day Israel. Not only this, but I just listened to a teaching on the seven trumpets of Revelation wherein the teacher is presenting truth that also had been greatly perverted. What a blessing to see that the Book of Daniel which was sealed unto the time of the end is being understand and taught within God's church today. The Jews did not seek to be set free from sin.

While the Jews desired the advent of the Messiah, they had no true conception of His mission. They did not seek redemption from sin.

Is that our desire, to be set free from sin? If so, then we are wanting to accomplish the mission which has been entrusted to His chosen people today. There are many today who are beginning to realize the gospel of grace was given that sinners might be transformed into saints.

And, we also see that there are those who are discovering the truth that the health message we have been given is indeed the "right arm" of the gospel and is being used to reach a lost world. Jesus is coming soon and within His chosen people are those who are studying to show themselves approved of God. As a city is named for the river upon which it is built, so it is with God's church. There is a direct connection between the truths it proclaims and its connection with God. The leading edge of truth is God's method of leading His people into His fold. It is with this mind that today's reading was given to His end time church, God's chosen people.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2019, 08:14:11 PM »
Had Israel been true to God, He could have accomplished His purpose through their honor and exaltation. If they had walked in the ways of obedience, He would have made them "high above all nations which He hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honor." "All people of the earth," said Moses, "shall see that thou art called by the name of the Lord; and they shall be afraid of thee." "The nations which shall hear all these statutes" shall say, "Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people." Deuteronomy 26:19;  28:10; Deuteronomy 4:6. But because of their unfaithfulness, God's purpose could be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation.

Could it be that God's people in the last days will be like the unfaithful of Israel and God's purposes will be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation?? God's message to the church of Laodicea, the church of our generation is...." I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou were cold or hot.  So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked" Revelation 3:15-17) 

"Hatred of the Romans, and national and spiritual pride, led the Jews still to adhere rigorously to their forms of worship. The priests tried to maintain a reputation for sanctity by scrupulous attention to the ceremonies of religion. The people, in their darkness and oppression, and the rulers, thirsting for power, longed for the coming of One who would vanquish their enemies and restore the kingdom to Israel. They had studied the prophecies, but without spiritual insight. Thus they overlooked those scriptures that point to the humiliation of Christ's first advent, and misapplied those that speak of the glory of His second coming. Pride obscured their vision. They interpreted prophecy in accordance with their selfish desires."
[/color]

[b]Hopefully we will bow in humble adoration to Jesus [/b] with a willing spirit and honest heart confess our great need and desire of Jesus, entreating Him to pour out the Holy Spirit upon us, so that we will not be bound up with our own selfish ambitions to the point that we have no time or desire to share in the giving of the last warning message to the world.  "Take the World - But give me Jesus" --- let this be our prayer. [/color][/b][/u] Jesus is still waiting for a people who will surrender ALL.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
Amen, Beacon! A full surrender is the only response of faith that Jesus can truly accept. But many feel they lack faith, and then they stay away from God. We must look to Christ uplifted on Calvary to obtain the faith that He offers us! By receiving His word, by receiving the loveliness of Jesus as the fresh revelation of God's grace to us, we can experience true conversion and He will reveal in our experience all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"As they departed from God, the Jews in a great degree lost sight of the teaching of the ritual service. That service had been instituted by Christ Himself. In every part it was a symbol of Him; and it had been full of vitality and spiritual beauty. But the Jews lost the spiritual life from their ceremonies, and clung to the dead forms. They trusted to the sacrifices and ordinances themselves, instead of resting upon Him to whom they pointed. In order to supply the place of that which they had lost, the priests and rabbis multiplied requirements of their own; and the more rigid they grew, the less of the love of God was manifested. They measured their holiness by the multitude of their ceremonies, while their hearts were filled with pride and hypocrisy." {The Desire of Ages, page 29, paragraph 2}

This really hit me today about how when the Jews departed from God, they multiplied their own requirements. And it is also true now. If we separate from Jesus, there is a yearning longing for Him that can never be satisfied until we know Him by a personal experience of surrender to be our righteousness. But Christ offers us His life in place of our own, and He will work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure! The great need we have is to behold Christ continually and to turn away from man-made standards (or even our own man-made standards) and trust entirely to Christ.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2019, 08:08:33 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Beacon!  This chapter is not a great revelation of Christ as are so many. As is usual, we are given warnings. Yes, this was written for our benefit. How so? We are walking in the path of Israel of Old. Cannot we see the truth? Brother Beacon sees. The Laodicean message applies to God's church today. But, unlike Israel, we shall see revival and reformation. It is a promise as read in Ezekiel chapters 36 and 37.  A key to that revival is a correct understanding of the issues set before the church. How has Satan been so successful with Israel and the Christian churches which took her place?

With all their minute and burdensome injunctions, it was an impossibility to keep the law. Those who desired to serve God, and who tried to observe the rabbinical precepts, toiled under a heavy burden. They could find no rest from the accusings of a troubled conscience. Thus Satan worked to discourage the people, to lower their conception of the character of God, and to bring the faith of Israel into contempt. He hoped to establish the claim put forth when he rebelled in heaven,--that the requirements of God were unjust, and could not be obeyed. Even Israel, he declared, did not keep the law.
     While the Jews desired the advent of the Messiah, they had no true conception of His mission. They did not seek redemption from sin, but deliverance from the Romans. They looked for the Messiah to come as a conqueror, to break the oppressor's power, and exalt Israel to universal dominion. Thus the way was prepared for them to reject the Saviour.   

As it was then, so it is today. How many are not seeking to be delivered from sin, but are seeking salvation some other way? Thus the way is being prepared to reject the Savior.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2019, 08:12:10 PM »
God had chosen Israel. He had called them to preserve among men the knowledge of His law, and of the symbols and prophecies that pointed to the Saviour. He desired them to be as wells of salvation to the world. What Abraham was in the land of his sojourn, what Joseph was in Egypt, and Daniel in the courts of Babylon, the Hebrew people were to be among the nations. They were to reveal God to men. "And yet at His coming they knew Him not...He came unto His own and His own received Him not. Isaiah 53:2 & John 1:11 

I borrowed the following previous quote from Pastor Sean because he expressed my thoughts so well.

"Let us pray that we ourselves and those in the Seventh-day Adventist Church will realize that unless we continually have the mind stayed upon Christ, refusing to allow our minds to wander from Him, that we separate from Jesus and revert back to a Laodicean condition. Such a condition is not ready for the second coming. But Jesus, in love and mercy, invites us to behold Him, be changed in character, and so crave His abiding presence that we can know immediately if we have separated from HIm--because only as we abide in Him will all the fruits of His Spirit be seen in our lives without one missing. If we choose to let the mind wander to a place where there is not His abiding love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance, we can recognize the lack of these fruits as an invitation to repent, to invite Jesus to again indwell the heart, and to go forward in faith.[/b]

" The work that Christ did on this earth His followers are to do. With the power and efficiency brought by the Holy Spirit they are to carry forward His plan for the restoration of the divine image in humanity. The Lord will do great thing for them when they work under the Holy Spirits guidance. But they must place their entire dependence on God. Manuscript 13 June , 1902 " God's People to be Light Bearers" 65

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2019, 06:10:59 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! The precious time I have been enjoying this morning with Jesus only continues to cause me to want to share of our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing. The beautiful reality of the gospel is that when you truly understand it (that God in His grace changes sinners into saints, renewing the heart and mind from selfishness to holiness, imbuing us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing, and enabling us supernaturally to live up to all the light He has revealed, while He patiently gives each of us a period of probation in which to form character), Jesus can help you to see if you are experiencing it (the gospel of His grace) by allowing us to examine whether all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives without one missing and whether we are willingly obeying His revealed will. If we lack His Spirit, or are in known neglect of duty, our very "wretched" condition is surely a knock of His Spirit upon the heart's door so we can surrender our will FULLY and have Christ re-convert us out of a Laodicean state.

As I think of God as a wonderful Father, I realize that He desires us to be happy and holy, and that just as many parents will say, "Lord, save my children, no matter what it takes," the first preference of a parent is for the child to be happy, peaceful and obedient rather than rebellious and stubborn, and having to learn "the hard way." So it is with Christ. He loves us too much to let us blindly and deceptively go down to ruin without warning. He calls us to repentance when we are walking in the wrong way (and even when we are in the path of life, as we keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, our repentance will be ever deepening!). I love how God wanted to do great things with Israel, and I am encouraged to trust that God is willing to fulfill His purposes of blessing through our lives as we surrender unreservedly to His will--His perfect will!!

"Had Israel been true to God, He could have accomplished His purpose through their honor and exaltation. If they had walked in the ways of obedience, He would have made them 'high above all nations which He hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honor.' 'All people of the earth,' said Moses, 'shall see that thou art called by the name of the Lord; and they shall be afraid of thee." "The nations which shall hear all these statutes" shall say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.' Deuteronomy 26:19;  28:10; Deuteronomy 4:6. But because of their unfaithfulness, God's purpose could be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation." {The Desire of Ages, page 28, paragraph 2}

Do we want to make it hard on Jesus? He would prefer to work through His remnant Seventh-day Adventist Church through His people's honor and exaltation, but when His people are unfaithful, He will still accomplish His purpose through their adversity and humiliation. Yet we live in the time of the latter rain, and God's Seventh-day Adventist Church will see revival and reformation. May we help hasten that revival and reformation by living in harmony with all the light we have received from Jesus, daily spending time contemplating the life of Christ (because He first loved us, and so we are filled with His Spirit) and then may we go forth to bless others that they may see Jesus has living witnesses on this poor, dark speck of world that is soon to perish! Jesus is coming soon and OH HOW HE LONGS to make us like Him in mind and character so we may be ready for Him to come and meet Him in the clouds--along with the rich harvest of souls who have been won to Christ in connection with our heartfelt prayers, labors of love, and willing obedience to go where God leads the way!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon and Pastor Sean!  For those reading with us daily, it ought to be understood by now that we hear the same message over and over. What is our mission in life, and what was the mission of Christ? Sadly, like the Jews, many Christians do not understand, including many Seventh-day Adventists who have been deceived and do not understand why Christ came and what Christ wants from His church.

The road to heaven is not wide. It is a straight and narrow pathway that leads to eternal life in a world where there is no sorrow and no death. There will be no sin ever again. How can this be when God's creatures have free will? Lucifer sinned and he was holy and perfect when God created him. God has promised sin will never arise again when this demonstration called the "great controversy" between Christ and Satan is completed. It will be seen by the universe that the power of grace on this Earth has kept from sin even the weakest of the weak after 6,000 years of degradation. Therefore, holy and undefiled beings can surely be kept from sin. They have seen the results of sin and the power of God's love to keep all safe.

So then, what is the mission for you and me, and what was the mission of Christ?

While the Jews desired the advent of the Messiah, they had no true conception of His mission. They did not seek redemption from sin, but deliverance from the Romans. They looked for the Messiah to come as a conqueror, to break the oppressor's power, and exalt Israel to universal dominion. Thus the way was prepared for them to reject the Saviour.   

For those who do not seek deliverance from sin, the way is being prepared for the continued rejection of Christ. Until we love the Lord our God with the "whole heart" we are rejecting His rule over us. We will not give Jesus all we are and all we have. To follow Christ is to allow the Holy Spirit to take possession of the heart and then as partakers of His divine nature, we reveal the character of God. By beholding Jesus we are daily transformed into His image (character). We will not give the whole heart to Christ until we trust Him with all we have. And, we will not trust Him with all we have until we truly know Him intimately. The all important question is "what must I do to be saved?" We must spend time getting to know Jesus. We will only love Him supremely when we know how much He loves us. We love Him because He first loved us. We are saved by grace, but we must see that grace daily. We must allow that grace into the heart. Then we shall reveal every one of the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing. This is why we live, to allow Jesus to receive the reward for all He has suffered. We are to become, reflectors of His character. His mission was to reveal the character of God.

"His name shall be called Immanuel, . . . God with us." "The light of the knowledge of the glory of God" is seen "in the face of Jesus Christ." From the days of eternity the Lord Jesus Christ was one with the Father; He was "the image of God," the image of His greatness and majesty, "the outshining of His glory." It was to manifest this glory that He came to our world. To this sin-darkened earth He came to reveal the light of God's love,--to be "God with us." Therefore it was prophesied of Him, "His name shall be called Immanuel." By coming to dwell with us, Jesus was to reveal God both to men and to angels. Desire of Ages, chapter one.

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2019, 07:08:55 PM »
" God had chosen Israel. He had called them to preserve among men the knowledge of His law, and of the symbols and prophecies that pointed to the Saviour. He desired them to be as wells of salvation to the world. What Abraham was in the land of his sojourn, what Joseph was in Egypt, and Daniel in the courts of Babylon, the Hebrew people were to be among the nations. They were to reveal God to men.

"Had Israel been true to God, He could have accomplished His purpose through their honor and exaltation. If they had walked in the ways of obedience, He would have made them "high above all nations which He hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honor. But because of their unfaithfulness, God's purpose could be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation."

In this last paragraph we find the message that Jesus invites us to share. It is a message of GREAT HOPE that millions of people around the world and in our own neighborhoods and churches need to hear. We can not do this in and of ourselves but only as we surrender to Jesus and kneel at the foot of the cross because we cannot give what we do not have.

"The heaviest burden that we bear is the burden of sin. If we were left to bear this burden, it would crush us. But the Sinless One has taken our place. "The Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all." Isaiah 53:6. He has borne the burden of our guilt. He will take the load from our weary shoulders. He will give us rest. The burden of care and sorrow also He will bear. He invites us to cast all our care upon Him; for He carries us upon His heart. "

I invite "You" to Accept the Challenge of Faithful Discipleship to the Church & to the World?

Dorine

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2019, 06:00:07 AM »
For more than a thousand years the Jewish people had awaited the Saviour's coming. Upon this event they had rested their brightest hopes. In song and prophecy, in temple rite and household prayer, they had enshrined His name. And yet at His coming they knew Him not. The Beloved of heaven was to them "as a root out of a dry ground;" He had "no form nor comeliness;" and they saw in Him no beauty that they should desire Him. "He came unto His own, and His own received Him not." Isaiah 53:2; John 1:11.

This is such a shocking and unbelievable introduction to our chapter today. As I ponder the condition of the church today I wonder; are we any different. Then I read on....
Yet God had chosen Israel. He had called them to preserve among men the knowledge of His law, and of the symbols and prophecies that pointed to the Saviour. He desired them to be as wells of salvation to the world. What Abraham was in the land of his sojourn, what Joseph was to Egypt, and Daniel in the courts of Babylon, the Hebrew people were to be among the nations. They were to reveal God to men.

God still has a chosen people such as we are but God is working on hearts to bring each one that will, into a saving relationship with Him that we may spread the good news of salvation to all men. Then when His character is revealed in the lives of His people and every ear has heard the gospel message He will  come and receive His own to Himself. Praise God for His mercy, grace, long suffering. I shutter to think of where we would be without His grace.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 07:38:40 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

We need Jesus continually, and without Him we can do no good thing. May we ever feel our dependence upon Him that He may save us from the mistakes that the Jewish people made at the time of Christ's first advent. Without a saving faith surrender to Christ by His grace, we will inevitably degenerate in character instead of being elevated, refined, and transformed into the image of Christ. That is His great promise and purpose for us in all He does--that He may reveal Himself through us to a universe that is waiting to see in final and full display God's character reproduced in the weakest of the weak who have learned to trust entirely to Christ as their strength!

"As they departed from God, the Jews in a great degree lost sight of the teaching of the ritual service. That service had been instituted by Christ Himself. In every part it was a symbol of Him; and it had been full of vitality and spiritual beauty. But the Jews lost the spiritual life from their ceremonies, and clung to the dead forms. They trusted to the sacrifices and ordinances themselves, instead of resting upon Him to whom they pointed. In order to supply the place of that which they had lost, the priests and rabbis multiplied requirements of their own; and the more rigid they grew, the less of the love of God was manifested. They measured their holiness by the multitude of their ceremonies, while their hearts were filled with pride and hypocrisy." {The Desire of Ages, page 29, paragraph 2}

May we learn to glory only in the cross, and not depend upon things we try to do to commend ourselves to God. Christ is our sufficiency. May we allow Christ to live out His life of perfect obedience in us as we learn of Him, allowing Him to manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in our lives. The desire He has for us will be realized as we learn of Him day by day, and trust wholly to His grace to work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure by His Spirit.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2019, 11:39:55 AM »
Amen, amen, and amen! God has a plan and it is centered in His chosen people. Israel of old failed Him. Today, modern day Israel has failed Him. But, not all remain in a Laodicean condition. When God sent a prophet into the world in our day, there are some who treasure the light given. '
What does God want from His people? What was the issue in heaven, and what is the issue on this Earth from the fall till today?

With all their minute and burdensome injunctions, it was an impossibility to keep the law. Those who desired to serve God, and who tried to observe the rabbinical precepts, toiled under a heavy burden. They could find no rest from the accusings of a troubled conscience. Thus Satan worked to discourage the people, to lower their conception of the character of God, and to bring the faith of Israel into contempt. He hoped to establish the claim put forth when he rebelled in heaven,--that the requirements of God were unjust, and could not be obeyed. Even Israel, he declared, did not keep the law.

The issue remains the same, to reveal to this world and the universe that God is not only fair, but great. He is both just and merciful. His law is good and just what we need. But, Satan has lied and deceived not only angels, but man. And, not just man, but those who He has chosen to rightly represent His character. Those chosen ones are to be witnesses that God is not unfair, His law can be kept. But, we cannot keep His law from our hearts until our hearts have been cleansed and renewed. Has not God promised to give us new hearts cleansed from sin?

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." Ezekiel 36:26. 

Amen! When we love God with the whole heart, then the Holy Spirit takes possession of it and brings with Him power to keep the law (statutes and judgments) of God.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2020, 03:25:27 AM »
God will fulfill His mission, but how it will be accomplished depends in a great degree on how you and I respond to His loving claims upon us. If we are willing to spend a "thoughtful hour" upon the life of Christ and become like Him in mind and character, then He can accomplish His purpose through our honor and exaltation since we realize the glory goes to Him, and not to ourselves. All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are seen in the lives of His converted instrumentalities. But if we depart from Jesus and only maintain a formal profession while living in sin in any of its deceptive forms, by the works of the flesh (see Galatians 5:19-21) we deny Him in character, and God in love will work to accomplish His purpose through our adversity and humiliation--seeking to lead us to repentance and to help those around us see that the truth we claim to profess is true even if we are not living up to its claims. Oh, how Jesus longs to have us willing to be made willing to be fully transformed into His image! As we learn of Him, we do find that our highest delight is in doing His service and living to bless others!!

"Had Israel been true to God, He could have accomplished His purpose through their honor and exaltation. If they had walked in the ways of obedience, He would have made them 'high above all nations which He hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honor.' 'All people of the earth,' said Moses, 'shall see that thou art called by the name of the Lord; and they shall be afraid of thee.' 'The nations which shall hear all these statutes' shall say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.' Deuteronomy 26:19;  28:10; Deuteronomy 4:6. But because of their unfaithfulness, God's purpose could be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation." {The Desire of Ages, page 28, paragraph 2}

We do not obey for God to bless us (for that would still be selfish), but we truly obey as the fruit of love (the selfless motive implanted by Christ). If we come to spend time with Jesus, He works a miracle in our hearts--He fills us with His Spirit and we desire to obey Him, because we have become like Him in mind and character. The more we become like Him, the less we will see to esteem in ourselves and the more we shall praise Him for His goodness and mercy that by His grace He could save a wretch like you or me, and make us a repentant child of His to be an instrument of love in His hands! May God be glorified!! Happy Sabbath!!

Dorine

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2020, 06:01:56 AM »
While the Jews desired the advent of the Messiah, they had no true conception of His mission. They did not seek redemption from sin, but deliverance from the Romans. They looked for the Messiah to come as a conqueror, to break the oppressor's power, and exalt Israel to universal dominion. Thus the way was prepared for them to reject the Saviour.    .......They had studied the prophecies, but without spiritual insight. Thus they overlooked those scriptures that point to the humiliation of Christ's first advent, and misapplied those that speak of the glory of His second coming. Pride obscured their vision. They interpreted prophecy in accordance with their selfish desires.

Has it changed? Today the pendulum swings from strict burdensome rules to 'do what's right in your own eye's' but the end result will be the same. God is allowing heresy to come into our midst to shake us and wake us out of the slumber we are in. We may believe truth but when challenged if we can not give a reason for our beliefs we need to take serious inventory of our spiritual condition. God is so loving and kind. Even in adversity we see His love. He is bringing us back to the bible as the foundation of everything we need to know and understand for our salvation.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2020, 07:59:19 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine.  I too was impressed with this statement of truth.

They had studied the prophecies, but without spiritual insight. Thus they overlooked those scriptures that point to the humiliation of Christ's first advent, and misapplied those that speak of the glory of His second coming. Pride obscured their vision. They interpreted prophecy in accordance with their selfish desires.

The chapter closed with this, revealing how important this subject is to us today. Why? Because as you say, it applies to the church today. Many interpret Scripture in accordance with their selfish desires. Romans 7 comes to mind. Why do so many want to teach this is Paul's experience after he was converted. Because it is their experience. They do not believe God refuses to save us in  our sin because they know  not how to obtain the power to resist temptations to sin. Thus, they believe they are converted when they are not. They do that which they ought not, and do not do that which they ought. They believe they cannot keep the law of God because evil is in them. They are half right. They are evil by nature, but that is not an excuse to sin. God has provided a remedy for sin in His Son at a very high price. If we will learn of Him, and give our hearts fully to Him, He shall live within us making us partakers of His divine nature, thus empowering us to keep the law of God, all of it as far as we know it. And, when the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart, when converted, He shall bring with Him all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing. And, we shall be given spiritual eyesight to understand what we need to know for the present day. What a God we serve!! And, what wonderful gift we have been given in Desire of Ages!

Have a blessed Sabbath Day to all who are reading with us!

Beacon

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2020, 01:49:09 PM »
"Satan hoped to establish the claim put forth when he rebelled in heaven,--that the requirements of God were unjust, and could not be obeyed. Even Israel, he declared, did not keep the law..While the Jews desired the advent of the Messiah, they had no true conception of His mission. They did not seek redemption from sin, but deliverance from the Romans. They looked for the Messiah to come as a conqueror, to break the oppressor's power, and exalt Israel to universal dominion. Thus the way was prepared for them to reject the Saviour."

"Had Israel been true to God, He could have accomplished His purpose through their honor and exaltation. If they had walked in the ways of obedience, He would have made them "high above all nations which He hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honor. But because of their unfaithfulness, God's purpose could be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation."

Could it be that God's people in the last days will be like the unfaithful of Israel and God's purposes will be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation?? God's message to the church of Laodicea, the church of our generation is....

" I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou were cold or hot.  So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked" Revelation 3:15-17)

Dorine

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2020, 05:32:02 AM »
"Had Israel been true to God, He could have accomplished His purpose through their honor and exaltation. If they had walked in the ways of obedience, He would have made them "high above all nations which He hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honor." "All people of the earth," said Moses, "shall see that thou art called by the name of the Lord; and they shall be afraid of thee." "The nations which shall hear all these statutes" shall say, "Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people." Deuteronomy 26:19;  28:10; Deuteronomy 4:6. But because of their unfaithfulness, God's purpose could be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation."

We see God's tremendous love for His people in the discipline He must deliver. How hurtful it must have been for Him. For every promise of God there is a condition. Repentance and faithfulness is required. Not just in words but in spirit from the heart. Then transformation will be realized. The fruit of the Spirit will be manifested without one missing. May we be wide awake, watching, praying, studying and sharing. Preparing to meet our God that is soon to appear. What a blessing to be revitalized each morning as we spend these precious moments with Jesus.

Beacon

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2020, 06:57:03 AM »

Could it be that God's people in the last days will be like the unfaithful of Israel and God's purposes will be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation?? God's message to the church of Laodicea, the church of our generation is....

Luke 13:34 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, AND YE WOULD NOT"!

This is a very, very sad commentary of Rejection. Rejection of God's Amazing Grace, Forgiveness, Rejection of that which would have provided For "ALL" their Earthly Challenges and Eternal Provisions. Are we any different today? Will we hear Jesus say WELL DONE or DEPART FROM ME, I NEVER KNEW YOU??

" I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou were cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked" Revelation 3:15-17)

The Good News is...The Door of Mercy & Forgiveness is still Open but as we see the unfolding of events in our world today telling us that we are fast nearing the End of Time for planet earth - Let take a personal spiritual inventory and make sure that our relationship with Jesus is what it should be. Jesus has paid a tremendous price for our redemption. How sad it would be if we continue to reject His Love!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »
Praise the Lord, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!

God loves to bless His people and He DEFINITELY prefers to accomplish His divine plan through us by blessing us if we are willing and obedient! Let us look unto Jesus who can work all things together for good, and trust Him in all the experiences of life. As we yield the whole heart to Jesus, we find the joy of true conversion and are filled with the Holy Spirit so not one of the fruits of the Spirit is missing in our lives as we walk in the path of obedience and blessing Jesus has planned for us!

"Had Israel been true to God, He could have accomplished His purpose through their honor and exaltation. If they had walked in the ways of obedience, He would have made them 'high above all nations which He hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honor.' 'All people of the earth,' said Moses, 'shall see that thou art called by the name of the Lord; and they shall be afraid of thee.' 'The nations which shall hear all these statutes" shall say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.' Deuteronomy 26:19;  28:10; Deuteronomy 4:6. But because of their unfaithfulness, God's purpose could be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation." {The Desire of Ages, page 28, paragraph 2}

Dorine

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2020, 05:59:48 AM »

As I compare the condition of God's people at His first coming with what we see before His second coming I am reminded of this bible verse from the last book of the bible. This is my prayer for myself, my family and God's church today.

(Rev 3:18)  I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Here is a quote from the book Faith and Works that makes it clear.

..."We thank God that there are souls who realize that they are in need of something which they do not possess--gold of faith and love, white raiment of Christ's righteousness, eyesalve of spiritual discernment. If you possess these precious gifts, the temple of the human soul will not be like a desecrated shrine.....now is the day of gracious opportunity and privilege."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 07:15:44 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!! What a precious privilege it is to partake of the gospel remedy in Christ and to walk in the path He has chosen for us!

May we allow Jesus to enter into our hearts today, to abide there on a moment-by-moment basis. Only He can give us the true faithfulness that we need, and He invites us by beholding His loveliness to cooperate with Him in the most blessed experience--winning souls to see them enjoy eternal blessedness in reflecting His divine image!

"Had Israel been true to God, He could have accomplished His purpose through their honor and exaltation. If they had walked in the ways of obedience, He would have made them 'high above all nations which He hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honor." 'All people of the earth,' said Moses, 'shall see that thou art called by the name of the Lord; and they shall be afraid of thee.' 'The nations which shall hear all these statutes" shall say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.' Deuteronomy 26:19;  28:10; Deuteronomy 4:6. But because of their unfaithfulness, God's purpose could be wrought out only through continued adversity and humiliation." {The Desire of Ages, page 28, paragraph 2}

Let us choose faithfulness. Yielding our sinful hearts to Christ, He gives us a new one imbued with His character traits without one missing! As one of the fruits of the Spirit, faithfulness can only come from a living union and communion with Christ. As we acknowledge our continual need of Jesus, He will lead us in the path that is best both now and for all of eternity!