Author Topic: Welcome! Join With Us as We Read Daily The Desire of Ages  (Read 59441 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: Welcome! Join With Us as We Read Daily The Desire of Ages
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2017, 03:46:28 AM »
What an IMMENSE blessing it is to read from The Desire of Ages, Chapter 1, "God With Us." I love how the promises of the Bible and the unfolding of Jesus' loveliness draws my heart closer and closer to Him each time I commune with Him and enjoy spending "a thoughtful hour" upon His life and character. There is truly no limit to what Christ can do in our lives. We, by beholding Him, will be changed into His image. By surrendering our hearts fully to Him so He can purify them, we become partakers of the "divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4), and the result is that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing (see Galatians 5:22-23).

I was incredibly encouraged by this thought today:

Through Christ's redeeming work the government of God stands justified. The Omnipotent One is made known as the God of love. Satan's charges are refuted, and his character unveiled. Rebellion can never again arise. Sin can never again enter the universe. Through eternal ages all are secure from apostasy. By love's self-sacrifice, the inhabitants of earth and heaven are bound to their Creator in bonds of indissoluble union.  {The Desire of Ages, page 26, paragraph 2}

I pray that God will keep me moment-by-moment in the union and communion of my soul with Christ, that I will not allow the pleasures of the world, life's cares, perplexities and sorrows, the faults of others, or my own faults and imperfections to cause me to look away--even for a moment--from Jesus. Without a constant surrender to Him and union with Him by faith, I am again at the mercy of my fallen nature which is always seeking opportunity to rear its ugly head. I need Jesus in me through His Holy Spirit to keep me from falling, and I trust His promises are stronger than all the doubt and unbelief that the flesh, the world, and the devil may want to oppress me with. I choose to behold Jesus and experience His life in me today, how about you?
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2017, 05:12:07 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! What a chapter! What a thought, that God can leave all of his creatures with free will and promise that none will ever sin again! And what a price was paid! Jesus is our Brother for eternity! He is bound by his humanity! What a thought.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2017, 07:48:41 AM »
Amen pastor Sean & Richard. To think that there will be a time soon where one never has to worry about sin and rebellion rising up a second time is a comforting promise. Soon we will be in the Savior's presence learning the deeper things of salvation.

Hard to believe we are beginning this book all over again already. Looks like we will end it again about Christmas time. What a perfect time to start reading this book again. Anyway.... I saw this paragraph again this morning.

Now sin has marred God's perfect work, yet that handwriting remains. Even now all created things declare the glory of His excellence. There is nothing, save the selfish heart of man, that lives unto itself. No bird that cleaves the air, no animal that moves upon the ground, but ministers to some other life. There is no leaf of the forest, or lowly blade of grass, but has its ministry. Every tree and shrub and leaf pours forth that element of life without which neither man nor animal could live; and man and animal, in turn, minister to the life of tree and shrub and leaf. The flowers breathe fragrance and unfold their beauty in blessing to the world. The sun sheds its light to gladden a thousand worlds. The ocean, itself the source of all our springs and fountains, receives the streams from every land, but takes to give. The mists ascending from its bosom fall in showers to water the earth, that it may bring forth and bud.

It's wonderful to look and see how everything has it's ministry to something else besides itself. If it wasn't for sin I believe this world keep going as God didn't design us or this world to break down and die. What a sad state we are in as all creation groans under the weight of sin. But even yet now we can see the beauty that God has left us in this old world. The night sky with a million shinning stars all keeping order, a beautiful sunset that no artist can copy, the majestic mountains with their snow capped peaks, the ocean teaming with it's wild life with mysteries we don't yet understand. The fact that we can still see all this beauty after 6000 years of sin is a message of comfort to me that God will indeed redeem His creation back from the clutches of the evil one.  All of this reminds me of this passage from Christ Object Lessons.

The coin, though lying among dust and rubbish, is a piece of silver still. Its owner seeks it because it is of value. So every soul, however degraded by sin, is in God's sight accounted precious. As the coin bears the image and superscription of the reigning power, so man at his creation bore the image and superscription of God; and though now marred and dim through the influence of sin, the traces of this inscription remain upon every soul. God desires to recover that soul and to retrace upon it His own image in righteousness and holiness. {COL 194.3
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2017, 05:51:27 AM »
The angels of glory find their joy in giving,--giving love and tireless watchcare to souls that are fallen and unholy. Heavenly beings woo the hearts of men; they bring to this dark world light from the courts above; by gentle and patient ministry they move upon the human spirit, to bring the lost into a fellowship with Christ which is even closer than they themselves can know.
     But turning from all lesser representations, we behold God in Jesus. Looking unto Jesus we see that it is the glory of our God to give. "I do nothing of Myself," said Christ; "the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father." "I seek not Mine own glory," but the glory of Him that sent Me. John 8:28; 6:57; 8:50; 7:18. In these words is set forth the great principle which is the law of life for the universe. All things Christ received from God, but He took to give. So in the heavenly courts, in His ministry for all created beings: through the beloved Son, the Father's life flows out to all; through the Son it returns, in praise and joyous service, a tide of love, to the great Source of all. And thus through Christ the circuit of beneficence is complete, representing the character of the great Giver, the law of life.

And now we find ourselves back at the beginning, just before the birth of Christ and just in time for the Christmas season. Reminds me of the text that says that Christ came in the fullness of time. Now is a good time to join us and discover for yourself the character of God. You'll find out that like the angels that I bolded above God exists to give and once we are in Heaven we will forever study the mystery of redemption and God will forever demonstrate His love for His faithful children. Here on earth as we read about Him we will become more like Him and soon also find joy in giving to others.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2017, 06:17:08 AM »
Amen, Jim!! The joy of giving begins once we are truly converted, fully surrendered to Jesus, for God's character of love is selfless giving, and we come, as Psalm 34:8 says, to "taste and see" how blessed it is to give, for it is "more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35).

I love the first chapter of The Desire of Ages! I love how God is clearly revealed in infinite love to us! I love Jesus with all of my heart because by beholding Him I have been motivated to surrender fully to His infinite love, so He can cleanse my heart from all sin, pride, and evil and indwell me with His Spirit. What a miracle! I find love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness, goodness, and faith fill my heart (all of the fruits of the Spirit, without one missing) as I continue to behold Him and remain fully surrendered to Him.

"But turning from all lesser representations, we behold God in Jesus. Looking unto Jesus we see that it is the glory of our God to give. "I do nothing of Myself," said Christ; 'the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father.' 'I seek not Mine own glory,' but the glory of Him that sent Me. John 8:28; 6:57; 8:50; 7:18. In these words is set forth the great principle which is the law of life for the universe. All things Christ received from God, but He took to give. So in the heavenly courts, in His ministry for all created beings: through the beloved Son, the Father's life flows out to all; through the Son it returns, in praise and joyous service, a tide of love, to the great Source of all. And thus through Christ the circuit of beneficence is complete, representing the character of the great Giver, the law of life."
 {The Desire of Ages, page 21, paragraph 2}

"In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world."  {The Desire of Ages, page 21, paragraph 3}

That night of woe had settled down upon Nicole Parker, and has upon all who have fallen into sin. I heard a testimony yesterday on http://journeysunscripted.com/ where Nicole Parker has available her testimony--when she was at Ouachita Hills, she was really struggling with having been sexually abused, but God allowed her to be surrounded with people who loved Jesus, and one of the teachers asked her, "Have you ever read The Desire of Ages?" Nicole realized she hadn't probably even opened it before--but when she came to this first chapter, she was so moved by the picture of God that she saw--of His tender love for her, and how through sin and redemption she would get to be closer to Jesus for all eternity, she was moved to tears as she read this beautiful picture of our God, and God began to heal her heart. What love!

Something else stood out to me this morning, and that was that Lucifer sought to "invest the loving Creator with his own evil characteristics," which reminded me of Ezekiel 28:18: "Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee."

In other words, the "traffick" that Lucifer began to pawn off about God in heaven was to seek to attribute to God the desire for self-exaltation and self-seeking, which is totally false (and is a result of Lucifer turning from God to self--the "mystery of iniquity"). God is the Creator, and His being "first" and "greatest" in the universe is because of who He is--He has always been, and always will be--"The I AM." "God is love" (1 John 4:16) is the essence of His character, and I am SO SO THANKFUL that He is winning this great controversy with love, as God invests us with His pure, holy characteristics as we behold Christ and surrender fully to Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2017, 06:16:31 AM »
Amen, Jim and Pastor Sean! What a truth is revealed in this most beautiful chapter! God is love. By beholding His character we will become transformed. It is by accepting His grace that we are saved.

As we came to the end of the reading we better understand why bad things happen to "good" people. Why is it necessary to allow Satan to live and sin to continue on? Well.....it need not have continued so long if we had done that which was entrusted to us. But, we find the answer as the chapter concluded. What a truth!

Through Christ's redeeming work the government of God stands justified. The Omnipotent One is made known as the God of love. Satan's charges are refuted, and his character unveiled. Rebellion can never again arise. Sin can never again enter the universe. Through eternal ages all are secure from apostasy. By love's self-sacrifice, the inhabitants of earth and heaven are bound to their Creator in bonds of indissoluble union.

It is easy to gloss of what is revealed, but to all who love God and want to give glory to Him, prayerfully consider what is written. Why did Christ to this dark spot in the universe as a human? Why need He suffer and die? Why do we follow in His footsteps? Why do the last Christians on this earth suffer greatly after probation closes? The answer is clearly seen in this truth revealed to His people, the last church before Jesus returns.

God with us, what a truth! What a sacrifice!! What love!!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2018, 05:39:32 AM »
I love Jesus and it is because He first loved me! He has revealed Himself to us that we might be drawn to God, to learn to love Him, and the more we know of Him, the more intense will be our happiness. I am so thankful that when we surrender our whole heart to Jesus, we experience the amazing gift of true conversion, and then the selfless love of God that is revealed in His law and exemplified in all of the fruits of the Spirit is wrought out in our experience continually!

May we ever remember that we are in an experience far greater in its scope than we can even now comprehend! What love! What grace!

By His life and His death, Christ has achieved even more than recovery from the ruin wrought through sin. It was Satan's purpose to bring about an eternal separation between God and man; but in Christ we become more closely united to God than if we had never fallen. In taking our nature, the Saviour has bound Himself to humanity by a tie that is never to be broken. Through the eternal ages He is linked with us. "God so loved the world, that He gave His only-begotten Son." John 3:16. He gave Him not only to bear our sins, and to die as our sacrifice; He gave Him to the fallen race. To assure us of His immutable counsel of peace, God gave His only-begotten Son to become one of the human family, forever to retain His human nature. This is the pledge that God will fulfill His word. "Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder." God has adopted human nature in the person of His Son, and has carried the same into the highest heaven. It is the "Son of man" who shares the throne of the universe. It is the "Son of man" whose name shall be called, "Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6. The I AM is the Daysman between God and humanity, laying His hand upon both. He who is "holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners," is not ashamed to call us brethren. Hebrews 7:26;  2:11. In Christ the family of earth and the family of heaven are bound together. Christ glorified is our brother. Heaven is enshrined in humanity, and humanity is enfolded in the bosom of Infinite Love.  {The Desire of Ages, page 25, paragraph 3}

Satan purposes that when you lose a loved one, or go through a bitter trial, that you will separate from God and murmur against Him. But when choosing to trust God, and surrender to Him who so loves us, the things that Satan intends to harm us or cause to separate us from God only bind us the closer to His heart because we begin to understand more fully experientially the sufferings that our Father endured in sending His Son to be born in Bethlehem to die upon Calvary. May we behold this love, and be continually changed from glory to glory!!!

Dorine

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2018, 09:36:34 AM »
Oh, yes Pastor Sean. Isn't this the most wonderful chapter revealing the depths of love that no human can comprehend. It will even be the study of the angels through out all eternity.

I love new beginnings. Today is a new beginning for me in another journey into the life of our dearest friend and Saviour. It has taken me a long time to get through this chapter today because I had to pause in so many places and just ponder and pray about what it was that God was eager for me to understand.

It was all so beautiful. But the following impressed me with new revelations of God's love.

"In the beginning, God was revealed in all the works of creation. It was Christ that spread the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth. It was His hand that hung the worlds in space, and fashioned the flowers of the field. "His strength setteth fast the mountains." "The sea is His, and He made it." Psalm 65:6; 95:5. It was He that filled the earth with beauty, and the air with song. And upon all things in earth, and air, and sky, He wrote the message of the Father's love."

....."Now sin has marred God's perfect work, yet that handwriting remains. Even now all created things declare the glory of His excellence. There is nothing, save the selfish heart of man, that lives unto itself. No bird that cleaves the air, no animal that moves upon the ground, but ministers to some other life. There is no leaf of the forest, or lowly blade of grass, but has its ministry. Every tree and shrub and leaf pours forth that element of life without which neither man nor animal could live; and man and animal, in turn, minister to the life of tree and shrub and leaf. The flowers breathe fragrance and unfold their beauty in blessing to the world. The sun sheds its light to gladden a thousand worlds. The ocean, itself the source of all our springs and fountains, receives the streams from every land, but takes to give. The mists ascending from its bosom fall in showers to water the earth, that it may bring forth and bud."

"But turning from all lesser representations, we behold God in Jesus. Looking unto Jesus we see that it is the glory of our God to give. "I do nothing of Myself," said Christ; "the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father." "I seek not Mine own glory," but the glory of Him that sent Me. John 8:28; 6:57; 8:50; 7:18. In these words is set forth the great principle which is the law of life for the universe. All things Christ received from God, but He took to give. So in the heavenly courts, in His ministry for all created beings: through the beloved Son, the Father's life flows out to all; through the Son it returns, in praise and joyous service, a tide of love, to the great Source of all. And thus through Christ the circuit of beneficence is complete, representing the character of the great Giver, the law of life."

Amen!
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »
Amen! These most wonderful truths are presented in the most beautiful writing I've ever read. We are truly blessed to have inspired truth presented in such a beautiful manner! One can never tire reading this inspired revelation of the life and teachings of Christ.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2018, 02:33:49 AM »
God has wrought so many miracles in my life and I just want to praise Him with my whole heart! His grace has saved me, and I am so thankful for how seeds of truth, planted in our lives when we are hurting and broken, can bring deep healing. In the summer of 2008 I was doing door-to-door missionary work in Southern California. At the time, I was a student at Pacific Union College, and had only been a Seventh-day Adventist since March 3, 2007. I have a distinct memory of riding in one of the vans with the group of young people doing ministry together, and I read the following amazing quote that brought tears to my eyes:

"The work of redemption will be complete. In the place where sin abounded, God's grace much more abounds. The earth itself, the very field that Satan claims as his, is to be not only ransomed but exalted. Our little world, under the curse of sin the one dark blot in His glorious creation, will be honored above all other worlds in the universe of God. Here, where the Son of God tabernacled in humanity; where the King of glory lived and suffered and died,--here, when He shall make all things new, the tabernacle of God shall be with men, 'and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them, and be their God.' And through endless ages as the redeemed walk in the light of the Lord, they will praise Him for His unspeakable Gift,--Immanuel, 'God with us.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 26, paragraph 3}

At the time I cannot say that I clearly understood the gospel as I do today, but I loved Jesus and found joy in communion with Him. I wanted to follow Him. I was still dealing with depression and the effects of bipolar disorder to some extent in 2008. And having just become a Seventh-day Adventist the year prior, I responded to the Holy Spirit's call upon my heart to get re-baptized July 12, 2008 because I realized that I had profaned God's name calling myself a Seventh-day Adventist Christian when  just months prior I had been living like the world--attending the theatre, listening to rock music, and breaking God's holy Sabbath. But this quote brought incredible joy to my heart. It told me deep down, "It's worth it." All the sufferings and trials we go through are only allowed by a God of infinite love who promises to work all things together for our good. Looking back, I praise God for that first summer of ministry in sharing books door-to-door and praying with people, finding Bible studies, and sharing the loveliness of Jesus. One young man in particular who was one of our leaders, Yoane, made a deep impression on me, as I saw in him an earnestness and zeal for Jesus that made the service of Christ appear attractive, as it really is. He shared with me some material about righteousness by faith, and I remember having morning devotions that summer that were really changing my heart. Often I would weep as I realized how much Jesus loved me and how sinful I was by nature. But the more sinful I saw myself, the more encouraged I was that Jesus came to save me! God's call on my life to be a pastor October 25, 2007, and the ensuing years of school, trials, and ministry experience brought me to the point in 2011 where God fully healed me from bipolar using the NEWSTART (Nutrition, Exercise, Water, Sunshine, Temperance, Air, Rest, Trust in God's Power) principles of healing. Now having served as a pastor in the Michigan Conference for over three years, all I have to say is that God is so gracious. I could not be happier. Today we start setting up for Michigan's Camp Meeting in Cedar Lake, Michigan, and I just love how God brings us full circle. About 10 years ago I read the quote from The Desire of Ages for the first time, and I now praise Him even more as I see ever-increasing evidence that God's grace is powerful enough to save a sinner like me by His shed blood on Calvary and transform me to have a new heart and a new mind where Jesus dwells by His Spirit, imbuing me with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing. God loves us, and the more we behold that love (grace), the more we are changed! Will you join me in daily spending a "thoughtful hour" beholding Jesus, our Immanuel?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean. Grace is more than a word, it is the power of redeeming love that transforms sinners into saints. Why would anyone object to saying so? Because they have been taught otherwise. Saints lived long ago, but not in our day.   :( Sadly they know not the power of grace  received into the heart.

Jesus said "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:8. As He went about doing good, and healing all who were afflicted by Satan, He made plain to men the character of God's law and the nature of His service. His life testifies that it is possible for us also to obey the law of God.
     By His humanity, Christ touched humanity; by His divinity, He lays hold upon the throne of God. As the Son of man, He gave us an example of obedience; as the Son of God, He gives us power to obey. It was Christ who from the bush on Mount Horeb spoke to Moses saying, "I AM THAT I AM. . . . Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." Exodus 3:14. This was the pledge of Israel's deliverance. So when He came "in the likeness of men," He declared Himself the I AM. The Child of Bethlehem, the meek and lowly Saviour, is God "manifest in the flesh." 1 Timothy 3:16. And to us He says: "I AM the Good Shepherd." "I AM the living Bread." "I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life." "All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth." John 10:11; 6:51; 14:6; Matthew 28:18. I AM the assurance of every promise. I AM; be not afraid. "God with us" is the surety of our deliverance from sin, the assurance of our power to obey the law of heaven. 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2018, 05:50:30 AM »
 By coming to dwell with us, Jesus was to reveal God both to men and to angels. He was the Word of God,--God's thought made audible. In His prayer for His disciples He says, "I have declared unto them Thy name,"--"merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,"--"that the love wherewith Thou hast loved Me may be in them, and I in them." But not alone for His earthborn children was this revelation given. Our little world is the lesson book of the universe. God's wonderful purpose of grace, the mystery of redeeming love, is the theme into which "angels desire to look," and it will be their study throughout endless ages. Both the redeemed and the unfallen beings will find in the cross of Christ their science and their song. It will be seen that the glory shining in the face of Jesus is the glory of self-sacrificing love. In the light from Calvary it will be seen that the law of self-renouncing love is the law of life for earth and heaven; that the love which "seeketh not her own" has its source in the heart of God; and that in the meek and lowly One is manifested the character of Him who dwelleth in the light which no man can approach unto.

What a thought... God's thought made audible. This ought to help some who have the tendency to see two different attitudes towards sinners between Jesus and the Father. Both love us so much they are willing to sacrifice and suffer for us. And another wonderful thought that it's the cross of Christ that keeps the universe safe forever after this is all over. It will be our study for the endless ages... how wide and deep must His love for us be! We see through a glass darkly now but someday soon we will see much clearer how much Christ loves us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2018, 06:21:03 AM »
Amen, Jim!  What important truths are presented here! It is such a blessing to begin again  in this wonderful revelation of the love of our God! This opening chapter is so beautiful  and moving. I too was impressed with what you have shared this morning. "Not alone for His earthborn children was this revelation given. Our little world is the lesson book of the universe."

One of the most profound truths has been opened to our minds here. What does this mean, "the lesson book of the universe"? It answers one of the most important questions being asked by many who wonder how an omnipotent God can allow bad things to happen to "good" people if He is  so loving. Since they cannot reconcile the two truth, they  do not believe them to be true. Yet, God has given to His children the answer here in this first chapter. We  are without excuse for not telling the world why  bad things happen  to "good" people.

Satan represents God's law of love as a law of selfishness. He declares that it is impossible for us to obey its precepts. The fall of our first parents, with all the woe that has resulted, he charges upon the Creator, leading men to look upon God as the author of sin, and suffering, and death. Jesus was to unveil this deception. As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Hebrews 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Hebrews 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject. And He exercised in His own behalf no power that is not freely offered to us. As man, He met temptation, and overcame in the strength given Him from God. He says, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:8. As He went about doing good, and healing all who were afflicted by Satan, He made plain to men the character of God's law and the nature of His service. His life testifies that it is possible for us also to obey the law of God. 

How can professing Christians believe we can be saved when  we continue to sin. This confirms Satan's lie. Much of Christianity denies the power of grace to transform sinners into saints. But, this does not stop with  us here on Earth.  No, God allows Satan to live and "good" people to be hurt that the whole universe might learn  the lesson of God's great love and the power of grace to keep all from ever sinning again. God has promised sin  shall  be no more when  this  "great controversy" between Christ and Satan has ended. "Affliction shall not arise a second time."

Through Christ's redeeming work the government of God stands justified. The Omnipotent One is made known as the God of love. Satan's charges are refuted, and his character unveiled. Rebellion can never again arise. Sin can never again enter the universe. Through eternal ages all are secure from apostasy. By love's self-sacrifice, the inhabitants of earth and heaven are bound to their Creator in bonds of indissoluble union.
     The work of redemption will be complete. In the place where sin abounded, God's grace much more abounds. The earth itself, the very field that Satan claims as his, is to be not only ransomed but exalted. Our little world, under the curse of sin the one dark blot in His glorious creation, will be honored above all other worlds in the universe of God. Here, where the Son of God tabernacled in humanity; where the King of glory lived and suffered and died,--here, when He shall make all things new, the tabernacle of God shall be with men, "and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them, and be their God."

Surrounded by apostasy we do not half understand the privilege with is offered to us! God is   preparing a people to fulfill this  promise. Shall we continue to delay this end of suffering,  sin, and death? Or shall   we turn  to Christ with the whole heart and allow  God to write His law upon our hearts today? Let us praise Him for His unspeakable Gift, Immanuel, "God with us."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2018, 07:39:44 AM »
Amen, Jim and Richard!

As we behold the exceedingly powerful loveliness of our God as revealed in Christ, the Holy Spirit is moving upon us to appreciate and assimilate in mind and character these thoughts so that we become His final revelation of grace to a world that is soon to perish. Christ's method of coming close to us is the method we too will employ when we are actuated by the Holy Spirit. We will draw near to sorrowful, tempted souls. We will share what the grace of God has done for us, and as a result, God will have a people who through the time of unparalleled apostasy in earth's closing scenes establish beyond controversy that God's grace is strong enough to cleanse the most profligate sinner into a redeemed saint, and keep them from falling during a time when there is no longer an intercessor in the sanctuary in heaven.

"Of His people God says, 'They shall be as the stones of a crown, lifted up as an ensign upon His land. For how great is His goodness, and how great is His beauty!' Zech. 9:16, 17. The exaltation of the redeemed will be an eternal testimony to God's mercy. 'In the ages to come,' He will 'show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.' 'To the intent that . . . unto the principalities and the powers in the heavenly places might be made known . . . the manifold wisdom of God, according to the eternal purpose which He purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord.' Eph. 2:7; 3:10, 11, R. V." {The Desire of Ages, page 26, paragraph 1}

Last night at Prayer Meeting where we were studying Revelation 16, I read a statement from The Great Controversy that reveals the character experience of the 144,000--for they pass through an experience unlike any other group:

"Upon the crystal sea before the throne, that sea of glass as it were mingled with fire,--so resplendent is it with the glory of God,--are gathered the company that have 'gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name.' With the Lamb upon Mount Zion, 'having the harps of God,' they stand, the hundred and forty and four thousand that were redeemed from among men; and there is heard, as the sound of many waters, and as the sound of a great thunder, 'the voice of harpers harping with their harps.' And they sing 'a new song' before the throne, a song which no man can learn save the hundred and forty and four thousand. It is the song of Moses and the Lamb--a song of deliverance. None but the hundred and forty-four thousand can learn that song; for it is the song of their experience--an experience such as no other company have ever had. 'These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth.' These, having been translated from the earth, from among the living, are counted as 'the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb.' Revelation 15:2, 3; 14:1-5. 'These are they which came out of great tribulation;' they have passed through the time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation; they have endured the anguish of the time of Jacob's trouble; they have stood without an intercessor through the final outpouring of God's judgments. But they have been delivered, for they have 'washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.' 'In their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault' before God. 'Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple: and He that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.' They have seen the earth wasted with famine and pestilence, the sun having power to scorch men with great heat, and they themselves have endured suffering, hunger, and thirst. But 'they shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.' Revelation 7:14-17." {The Great Controversy, page 648, paragraph 3}

The transformation of character wrought in the 144,000 teach an important lesson that has been true in the gospel from the very first promise given in Genesis 3:15 of a Savior who can implant enmity in the heart against sin when the soul surrenders fully to Christ. God has ever had perfect saints come into heaven (Enoch, Elijah, and Moses are all without sin in heaven, because while on earth they repented and were transformed in mind and character). But God needs more than that. God needs a final unmistakable mature manifestation of His grace in contrast to the maturation of the character of Satan in those who are in rebellion against God. What is the timing? The close of the world's probation, when the seven last plagues are poured out and the 144,000 are standing by faith through the time of Jacob's trouble. They have become settled into the truth intellectually and spiritually so that they cannot be moved. They have learned the lesson from Moses' sin that there is no good thing in them by nature and that in order to any good thing they must have a continual connection with Jesus. This has been their experience, and going through the most trying time of earth's history, this corporate group vindicate God's name as an outflow of the victory Christ wrought on Calvary, as they glorify God before the onlooking universe and refute every charge Satan and his followers have leveled against God's character. The 144,000 are not the only ones saved--but they are the ones who live through the time of trouble and are translated. They, like Noah, will see others come to repentance before the forecasted event of deluge, but those have passed to rest before the final outpouring of God's wrath against sin in the seven last plagues. Why talk about this here? Because it is in the light of the cross of Christ that we see what God already visited upon Jesus in order to save us. Christ was treated as we deserve (which is God's wrath against sin) so we could be treated as He deserves (as kings and priests to God). May we, whether we are translated as one of the 144,000, or martyred for our faith in these closing moments of earth, or pass to rest before Jesus comes--may we all realize the source and power for doing any good thing comes from Jesus Christ and Him abiding in the soul, which always produces in us the ineffaceable characteristics of the divine nature--all of the fruits of the Spirit in the life without one missing as we live up to all the light we know of God's holy law. Hallelujah!!!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
There are many who read along with us. If you have questions or would like to share your thoughts with us, email administrator@remnant-online.com     

The truths revealed are amazing, even to us who have been studying them for so very many years. What a God we serve!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2018, 03:25:59 AM »
Is someone with you? Yes--He is the I AM. The eternally self-existent One, Jesus Christ, has come to our dark world to be our Brother, has ascended to heaven to prepare a place for us, and is inviting us today to spend a "thoughtful hour" contemplating His life (especially the closing scenes) so we may become like Him in mind and character. The incredible reality of the gospel is the infinite love of God for us (His grace) that transforms degenerate rebellious sinners into repentant, happy, obedient saints who manifest His attributes--all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing while affectionately obeying all of the light of His law that we have learned of Him! What marvelous reasons we have to be praising God ALL THE TIME!!!

"By His humanity, Christ touched humanity; by His divinity, He lays hold upon the throne of God. As the Son of man, He gave us an example of obedience; as the Son of God, He gives us power to obey. It was Christ who from the bush on Mount Horeb spoke to Moses saying, 'I AM THAT I AM. . . . Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.' Exodus 3:14. This was the pledge of Israel's deliverance. So when He came 'in the likeness of men,' He declared Himself the I AM. The Child of Bethlehem, the meek and lowly Saviour, is God 'manifest in the flesh.' 1 Timothy 3:16. And to us He says: 'I AM the Good Shepherd.' 'I AM the living Bread.' 'I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life.' 'All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth.' John 10:11; 6:51; 14:6; Matthew 28:18. I AM the assurance of every promise. I AM; be not afraid. 'God with us' is the surety of our deliverance from sin, the assurance of our power to obey the law of heaven." {The Desire of Ages, page 24, paragraph 3}

The fact that "I AM THAT I AM" was the pledge of Israel's deliverance speaks to me on a very personal level--as it was on October 25, 2007 that God called me to be a pastor. The call was simple and direct. "I'm calling you to be a pastor" came the inaudible but clear voice into my thoughts while I was standing on the third floor of Granger Hall at Pacific Union College in Angwin, California at about 6pm. "Who are you?" I asked. Then He said, "I AM THAT I AM." At that name I immediately surrendered my life to God's call and removed by shoes. God does not change. Yet at the time, I had only been a Seventh-day Adventist Christian for 7 months and 22 days, and I still had much to learn (and a lot to unlearn). Yet God faithfully would work upon my heart and character to remove what was not from Him and to implant His truth and principles. As God says to us "I AM," He is promising to be with us in the entire journey it takes for us to be able to serve with His character and principles. Yesterday I reflected on the fact that I have now been a pastor in the Michigan Conference for 3 1/2 years (June 1, 2015-December 1, 2015). As I see how God continues to teach me and give me a deeper and deeper hunger and thirst for the righteousness of Christ and the experiential transformation wrought by beholding His loveliness of character, I am encouraged to know He will do even greater works than we can imagine in each of our lives as we yield unreservedly to Him moment-by-moment!

May you find incredible joy in letting Jesus be the Author and Finisher of your life and ministry experience is my prayer!

Dorine

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2018, 05:20:21 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. What an inspiring testimony of how God called you to the ministry. I praise God for your faithfulness to Him and for blessing us each morning with God given thoughts from "The Desire of Ages".
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2018, 06:56:09 AM »
Amen pastor Sean! I appreciate your testimony this morning. It's good for us to read these things and be encouraged. Most of us may not be called to be a pastor but we are surely called to spread the Word also!

"His name shall be called Immanuel, . . . God with us." "The light of the knowledge of the glory of God" is seen "in the face of Jesus Christ." From the days of eternity the Lord Jesus Christ was one with the Father; He was "the image of God," the image of His greatness and majesty, "the outshining of His glory." It was to manifes.t this glory that He came to our world. To this sin-darkened earth He came to reveal the light of God's love,--to be "God with us." Therefore it was prophesied of Him, "His name shall be called Immanuel."

God with us!! What a thought and when this is all over it will again be the same way.  I guess my thoughts are spilling over from yesterday but i can't help but think of this verse when I read this, this morning.

Rev 21:3  And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2018, 10:57:47 PM »
What a joy to begin again reading this most wonderful revelation of Gop's grace to a world which has chosen to reject His love. But, not all are blind to His character of mercy and justice. Where do we see His love? It is written throughout nature, but most pointedly it is revealed in the birth, life, suffering, and death of God's dear Son, Jesus Christ. What does God see in this dark spot in the universe that He would risk losing His innocent Son? He sees what we may become if we will learn of Him. In order that man might know Him, God set up His tabernacle  in the midst of our human encampment.

He pitched His tent by the side of the tents of men, that He might dwell among us, and make us familiar with His divine character and life. "The Word became flesh, and tabernacled among us (and we beheld His glory, glory as of the Only Begotten from the Father), full of grace and truth." John 1:14, R. V., margin.   Since Jesus came to dwell with us, we know that God is acquainted with our trials, and sympathizes with our griefs. Every son and daughter of Adam may understand that our Creator is the friend of sinners. For in every doctrine of grace, every promise of joy, every deed of love, every divine attraction presented in the Saviour's life on earth, we see
 "God with us."

The character of God and His sacred oracles have been entrusted to His church. We have an understanding of who He is, of His great love and His justice. Yet, to those whom great light has come, blindness has fallen. Satan has done all he can to obscure God's character and the plan of salvation.

Satan represents God's law of love as a law of selfishness. He declares that it is impossible for us to obey its precepts. The fall of our first parents, with all the woe that has resulted, he charges upon the Creator, leading men to look upon God as the author of sin, and suffering, and death. Jesus was to unveil this deception. As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Hebrews 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us.

Have we believed Satan's lie? When we sin, we support His lie that it is impossible for man to obey His law. Let us turn to Christ and repent of our sins that we might be His witnesses that His law is perfect and man through Christ can keep His commandments. We can love others as He loves us. If we would spend a thoughtful hour each day contemplating the life of Christ, we would be empowered through the Holy Spirit to love God and our neighbor. What a thought! That God sent His Son to save a sinner such a me! What a God we serve!!

Beacon

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2019, 09:23:35 PM »
"Through Christ's redeeming work the government of God stands justified.The Omnipotent One is made known as the God of love. Satan's charges are refuted, and his character unveiled. ]Rebellion can never again arise. Sin can never again enter the universe. ]Through eternal ages all are secure from apostasy. By love's self-sacrifice, the inhabitants of earth and heaven are bound to their Creator in bonds of indissoluble union."

When I take the time to contemplate the thoughts in these two paragraphs I can only think of the words....Amazing Grace how sweet the sound...That Saved a Wretch like me. I'm sure that as more is revealed and understood  by us as eternity rolls our love for Jesus will only grew deeper.

"The work of redemption will be complete. In the place where sin abounded, God's grace much more abounds. The earth itself, the very field that Satan claims as his, is to be not only ransomed but exalted. Our little world, under the curse of sin the one dark blot in His glorious creation, will be honored above all other worlds in the universe of God. Here, where the Son of God tabernacled in humanity; where the King of glory lived and suffered and died,--here, when He shall make all things new, the tabernacle of God shall be with men, "and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them, and be their God." And through endless ages as the redeemed walk in the light of the Lord, they will praise Him for His unspeakable Gift,-- Immanuel, "God with us."

THANK YOU JESUS ---- THANK YOU JESUS ---- THANK YOU JESUS
Look up and listen for the shout.