Author Topic: Welcome! Join With Us as We Read Daily The Desire of Ages  (Read 59426 times)

Kellee

• http://www.thisonechild.com
Re: Welcome! Join With Us as We Read Daily The Desire of Ages
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2000, 01:01:00 AM »
Richard,

Thanks for your post.  :)

I am sorry myself that I missed yesterday. I had to wake up very early to catch a train into London, and honestly, the Lord got put on the back burner until last night...

So, today you will get two chapters for the price of one!  ;D (As soon as I can get myself around to typing out my thoughts...)

Kellee

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2002, 09:26:00 AM »
We begin again our study of this beautiful book The Desire Ages.  Such a blessing to be able to share with each other from around the world, what we are learning as we study the life of Christ.  May  God grant us more of His Spirit as we seek His face.

"His name shall be called Emanuel, God with us. " I am at a loss to improve upon the words written in this chapter.  They are so important and so well-written.  It is God's purpose that we should know Him. To accomplish this purpose He sent His only Son, a helpless baby, into our dark world where Satan claims dominion. By doing so our heavenly Father anticipated that some would avail themselves of the opportunity to witness this great Sacrifice.  It is my prayer that many will join with us in studying the life of God's dear Son and by beholding this unspeakable Gift, "Immanuel, God with us" we shall become imbued with His Spirit.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2002, 03:56:00 PM »
I have gotten the idea at times that there are some in our Church that believe that Salvation comes in the "Spirit" but we are still carnal in the body and because of it, we sin.
To me, what we see here is fact. However, does the Lord leave us here? Is this a excuse we can fall back on when we sin? The the Spiritual and the body at odds always? Naturally yes, but forever? No, I don't think so.
The Salvation I learned about was whole and complete. It includes the mind, the soul (all of us) and the body (and every part of it).
When we are forgiven by our Lord we are fully cleansed and made Whiter Than Snow. So cleansed that Jesus remembers our sin no more.
The carnal body can and must overcome. The Spirit is not a bridge by which we can slip our sinful self across the raging river to safety. The Spirit is the means of cleansing us and making us overcomers (in the body,mind,and soul. God's Spirit within us makes us whole. I like to think that the Spirit of God does not take us over on a bridge, but rather brings us through the raging river, cleansing us on the way more and more, till finely we are pure and clean before our Lord. This is indeed possible and it is promised. To say we can not overcome sin is like slapping Christ in the face with His own promise. It is a excuse from the mouth of satan, that we will loose eternity on if we believe it.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Glass

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2002, 09:32:00 PM »
Yes, Sister Glass you are right,  there are many in the church who have been taught and believe Romans chapter 7 is the Christian experience. It is not, it was Paul's conversion experience when he first saw he was in a lost condition. See the topic on Romans in the BOL Forum. You will enjoy reading through it.

Satan's deceptions have taken root in the church and are bearing a large crop. Many believe there is no condemnation to them that are "in Christ Jesus", even while they are sinning. As we see in this chapter this was Satan's original lie to Eve and to the angels in heaven.  But, God's truth is still truth. The soul that sinneth shall surely perish.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Marie

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2002, 04:15:00 PM »
Thank you Brother Richard. And a beautiful book it is. I heard that in the Library of Congress it was considered the best book they have (and they have thousands) on the life of Christ. That sure made me feel good that they would admit that. Smile

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Glass

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2002, 07:11:00 AM »
The English is a step up from what we see today and of course the author was inspired so it ought not surprise us that others recognize the beauty. But,  why so few of His children appreciate the book as we should?

Richard

Sister Marie

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2002, 08:32:00 AM »
The Desire of Ages along with the Steps to Christ are two of the most beautiful books written to speak to the heart of man today. So many however, are filled with the worlds desires to the point that such books are "boring".

What we feed the soul is what will feed us.
Where our heart is, there too is where every other part of us is; Our hearing, our eyesite, our emotions, everything!!

Where our heart is is what will lead us to what we choose to look at, listen to, what we spend time doing and also thinking, and people we choose to be with (especially for life in marriage)

Where the heart is, so are ye.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Glass

With Christian Love,
Marie

juliusnyar

• Julius Alfayo
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
I have just gone through the first chapter and am touched by the following quote:
Since Jesus came to dwell with us, we know that God is acquainted with our trials, and sympathizes with our griefs. Every son and daughter of Adam may understand that our Creator is the friend of sinners. For in every doctrine of grace, every promise of joy, every deed of love, every divine attraction presented in the Saviour's life on earth, we see "God with us."
Satan represents God's law of love as a law of selfishness. He declares that it is impossible for us to obey its precepts. The fall of our first parents, with all the woe that has resulted, he charges upon the Creator, leading men to look upon God as the author of sin, and suffering, and death. Jesus was to unveil this deception. As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us
So as we continue reading the book lets remember that God love us unconditionally and is ready to enter into our lives if we let him in.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 10:35:59 PM »
Amen! We are so happy to have you join us in reading and discussing this incredible book. I too will begin again at the opening chapter.

For in every doctrine of grace, every promise of joy, every deed of love, every divine attraction presented in the Saviour's life on earth, we see "God with us."

Again, amen. What comfort! What a Savior!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
Yes, we shall begin anew with chapter one. What a blessing, Julius! We shall discover more of His love together. We pray others will join with us, for Jesus is the solution to all of our problems.

Julius, you have pointed out one of the most important truths that the world does not understand. How many times have we heard "If God is all powerful and if God is so good, then why does He allow innocent children to suffer and die?"  God is all powerful. Nothing happens in this world that He does not allow. God is love. He demonstrated this in a powerful manner when He let His Son come to this dark spot in the universe a helpless baby subject to the weaknesses of humanity, to fight the battle of life as we must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss. Such love! Think of our heavenly Father as He watched His innocent Son suffer at the hands of those He came to save!  This is love!!

So, Julius has opened the door to our understanding why it is that God allows sin and suffering in this world. It is not God's fault there is sin, suffering, and death. As we continue our study, we shall find the answer to this all important question as to why God allows sin, suffering, and death.

Satan represents God's law of love as a law of selfishness. He declares that it is impossible for us to obey its precepts. The fall of our first parents, with all the woe that has resulted, he charges upon the Creator, leading men to look upon God as the author of sin, and suffering, and death. Jesus was to unveil this deception. As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us
So as we continue reading the book lets remember that God love us unconditionally and is ready to enter into our lives if we let him in.

Amen! If this were not so, that God loves us while we are yet sinners, then why would God have allowed His Son to come to this dark blot in the universe to suffer and die at the hands of His own people? He longs for us to see this great love that in return we might love Him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
In the very first paragraphs of the book, we find that Christ came to our Earth to reveal His love to us. "It will be seen that the glory shining in the face of Jesus is the glory of self-sacrificing love. In the light from Calvary it will be seen that the law of self-renouncing love is the law of life for earth and heaven; that the love which 'seeketh not her own' has its source in the heart of God."

His name shall be called Immanuel, . . . God with us." "The light of the knowledge of the glory of God" is seen "in the face of Jesus Christ." From the days of eternity the Lord Jesus Christ was one with the Father; He was "the image of God," the image of His greatness and majesty, "the outshining of His glory." It was to manifest this glory that He came to our world. To this sin-darkened earth He came to reveal the light of God's love,--to be "God with us." Therefore it was prophesied of Him, "His name shall be called Immanuel." 

By coming to dwell with us, Jesus was to reveal God both to men and to angels. He was the Word of God,--God's thought made audible. In His prayer for His disciples He says, "I have declared unto them Thy name,"--"merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,"--"that the love wherewith Thou hast loved Me may be in them, and I in them." But not alone for His earthborn children was this revelation given. Our little world is the lesson book of the universe. God's wonderful purpose of grace, the mystery of redeeming love, is the theme into which "angels desire to look," and it will be their study throughout endless ages. Both the redeemed and the unfallen beings will find in the cross of Christ their science and their song. It will be seen that the glory shining in the face of Jesus is the glory of self-sacrificing love. In the light from Calvary it will be seen that the law of self-renouncing love is the law of life for earth and heaven; that the love which "seeketh not her own" has its source in the heart of God; and that in the meek and lowly One is manifested the character of Him who dwelleth in the light which no man can approach unto.

And, we notice that it was not just for us that Christ came to reveal this great love, but it was for the angels also. Why would this be?  We are going to better understand why it is that God allows sin, suffering, and death. His character has been maligned. God is both perfectly just and yet merciful. Satan has attempted to make out God to be just what Satan is. Such a bold faced lie. But, how many in this world have swallowed that lie? And, we remember that one third of the angels are no longer in heaven. Did they believe a lie also?

wigina

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »
Was wandering if you'd start from the beginning so now I to can start at chapter one!
Am Reminded of Satans deception of the angels! He Deceives them one day then the next he misrepresents their cause! Let's read and, find out. May Grace be with us as we, read

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
Oh yes, Wigina! We are at the beginning (again  ;D ) and happy to be there! Thank you for joining us!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

wigina

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Imagine The creator becoming the created and the created becoming like the creator is that not so wonderful how nice the love of God!, how merciful His abundant Love. Now jesus received from His Father so He could give to us! Imagine The ocean resing to give back what the rivers have drained into it! But They would not for it is an open secret! Just Like the open secret which is Gods Love for us! For He has, desired to dwell with us and made the dwelling places of man His habitation! Whoah! Why Should I not be forever thankful? why should I not praise Him forever and ever? The Lowly king! The Humble Master! , the meek prince! The Desire of Ages.

wigina

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »
When the intercession finally comes to a close will we be able to stand in front of God? The Devil says no we cannot and yet Adam could before sin and Jesus did after sin. The Only way is to deliver all unto Jesus and die in Him. Oh Wretched man that I am who but Jesus can save me from my mortal sin.then I shall be able to call Father!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 09:35:01 AM »
We pray there are more today who are seeking to know Jesus more fully. We will begin shortly reading again The Desire of Ages from this first chapter. Please join with us in beholding Jesus. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, for by beholding Him, we become changed into His character day by day. "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18. This is a well kept secret that Satan has hidden from the minds of most professing Christians. Do you know that when Jesus reproved Nicodemus He revealed this secret to him. After telling Nicodemus he needed to be converted, He would not leave him without a knowledge of how to be born again. Read the conversation in John chapter three and see if you can discern what Jesus told Nicodemus he ought to do that would lead to his conversion.

Chapter one is posted at the beginning of this topic. There is also a link to an audio clip where you may listen to the chapters as we read.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
This chapter is a most wonderful chapter telling us the story of how, why and in what form Christ came to this earth to save us human beings. I've often repeated the words of david to myself.

Psalm 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

However, man is not my point in this post. Because we are always being attacked by the evil one and there is seldom time for rest in spiritual warfare we often (at least I) don't think a whole lot about the angels that are tasked with helping us poor human beings. However, here are a couple of statements about them from this chapter that I find interesting.

By coming to dwell with us, Jesus was to reveal God both to men and to angels. He was the Word of God,--God's thought made audible.

It's hard for me to think that angels don't know everything about their Creator. They can talk and visit with Him face to face. Yet there is more even for them to learn. Here is more on this topic.

God's wonderful purpose of grace, the mystery of redeeming love, is the theme into which "angels desire to look," and it will be their study throughout endless ages. Both the redeemed and the unfallen beings will find in the cross of Christ their science and their song. It will be seen that the glory shining in the face of Jesus is the glory of self-sacrificing love. In the light from Calvary it will be seen that the law of self-renouncing love is the law of life for earth and heaven; that the love which "seeketh not her own" has its source in the heart of God; and that in the meek and lowly One is manifested the character of Him who dwelleth in the light which no man can approach unto. 

To me this is incredible. I can understand why my dull mind will find the science of salvation worth studying for eternity but angels!!?? If they have room for growth what about us? How is it that we have a God that is willing to include us however poor and dull we are. It wasn't until recently that I have found this statement to be true and a wonder to me. I truly believe we will be studying this theme forever. AMEN!

The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden “the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God.” Romans 11:33

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »
While we are on a reading schedule, you may be reading a different chapter. Feel free to share your blessing on any chapter. If one has not been started, go ahead and start one on the chapter you wish to comment on. God would have us each share our blessings with each other. There are so many when we take time to behold Jesus each day!

We are still experiencing difficulties with the registration system. If you have registered and have not received a notification of your approval, please email administrator@remnant-online.com and we will complete the process. We want to hear of your blessings.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 07:46:47 AM »
What a blessing to have finished reading this most beautiful revelation of our God!! 

We begin again reading The Desire Ages.  Such a blessing to be able to share with each other from around the world, what we are learning as we study the life of Christ.  May  God grant us more of His Spirit as we seek His face. It is by beholding His grace that we are changed in character(2 Corinthians 3:18). It is not a one time change. We must be converted daily, moment by moment. Grace surrounds us as thick as the air we breathe, but if we to not see it, if we do not bring into the heart, it does us no good.

It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross. 
     As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory."   Desire of Ages, pg 83.

The entire chapter is posted at the beginning of this topic. There is also an audio link if you desire to listen to the chapter. May God bless our study of the life of Christ.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »
What a chapter! What truth!  This chapter has to be one of the most beautifully written works ever to come from the hand of man. If one were to prayerfully study this opening chapter, there would be an awakening to truth of this statement:

By His life and His death, Christ has achieved even more than recovery from the ruin wrought through sin. It was Satan's purpose to bring about an eternal separation between God and man; but in Christ we become more closely united to God than if we had never fallen.

Why is this? Why would we when in Christ be closer to God then Adam before he fell?