Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--17--Nicodemus  (Read 41983 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--17--Nicodemus
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2023, 05:44:21 AM »
"But Jesus was acquainted with the soil into which He cast the seed. The words spoken at night to one listener in the lonely mountain were not lost. For a time Nicodemus did not publicly acknowledge Christ, but he watched His life, and pondered His teachings. In the Sanhedrin council he repeatedly thwarted the schemes of the priests to destroy Him. When at last Jesus was lifted up on the cross, Nicodemus remembered the teaching upon Olivet: “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.” The light from that secret interview illumined the cross upon Calvary, and Nicodemus saw in Jesus the world’s Redeemer."

It's painful to look upon the suffering Son of God hanging on the cross but that is what is needed to bring us to the point of complete surrender. As we gaze upon His broken  body and realize that He is taking the punishment we deserve we get a glimpse of unimaginable love and grace to save a wretch like me. That's why we are counselled to spend a thoughtful hour each day meditating upon the life of Jesus especially the closing scenes. He wants to live His life in us and moment by moment transform our characters into His. Imagine a church where the fruit of the Spirit is seen in each member in our homes, our workplace, in committee meetings, and in our neighbourhoods.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2023, 08:18:23 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine!  By His stripes we are healed. We need to see His grace continually since we are a forgetful race of sinners. It is His grace that is the power that transforms sinners into saints. His grace does us no good unless we behold it. It would indeed be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, then by beholding His glory ( His character) we would be changed into His image (character) by His Spirit.

"In the interview with Nicodemus, Jesus unfolded the plan of salvation, and His mission to the world."

"In none of His subsequent discourses did He explain so fully, step by step, the work necessary to be done in the hearts of all who would inherit the kingdom of heaven.

"The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself."

Amen Brother Beacon!  This is why we leave this chapter stickied, always at the top of all other chapters. It is the knowledge of God and the plan of salvation that the world needs, and most especially those who have been blessed with such great light. Out of all the pages on this website, none is as important as what is posted in this forum.

Grace is more than a word, it is the power that cleanses the heart. Ezekiel 36:26 tells us that God will give a new heart. The new heart is just what the Bible says it is, a NEW heart. This is where Satan has stolen a march upon God's organized church. The carnal heart needs to be cleansed. The new heart has been cleansed from all sin.  But, most professing Christians do not believe this. And, the great deception in His church today is that we can have unknown pride in the heart. No. The new heart is cleansed as white as fresh fallen snow. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9. It is not the flesh that is cleansed, but the heart. We then have holiness of heart. Then the heart is not as filthy rags as many believe.

If Nicodemus could not receive Christ’s teaching, illustrating the work of grace upon the heart, how could he comprehend the nature of His glorious heavenly kingdom? Not discerning the nature of Christ’s work on earth, he could not understand His work in heaven.

The Jews whom Jesus had driven from the temple claimed to be children of Abraham, but they fled from the Saviour’s presence because they could not endure the glory of God which was manifested in Him. Thus they gave evidence that they were not fitted by the grace of God to participate in the sacred services of the temple. They were zealous to maintain an appearance of holiness, but they neglected holiness of heart. While they were sticklers for the letter of the law, they were constantly violating its spirit. Their great need was that very change which Christ had been explaining to Nicodemus,—a new moral birth, a cleansing from sin, and a renewing of knowledge and holiness.

When one goes under the water, he is revealing to the world, he has given his life to God and self has died and a new life has begun in the heart. It may take a long time before one walks in all of the light given to the church, but not so with all the light given to the individual. He walks in all of the light he has been given as long as he abides in Christ and His representative, the Holy Spirit abides in him. More than obedience to all the truth given, he will manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one missing, if the Holy Spirit indwells the heart. We do not believe in once saved always saved. We know that we do not have eternal life is we do not abide in Christ. He is our life. We need Him continually in order to rightly represent His character to the world. We can do no good thing when apart from Him. But, if we sin, we are to understand that we have a Mediator who is calling us back. He stands at the door knocking, wanting back into the heart. He does not forsake us. It is us who forsakes Him if we do not come to repentance. He loves us and gave Himself for us.

It is the plan of salvation that is so clearly revealed in today's reading. What is the bottom line? It would be well to understand our part  in the plan of salvation is to "look and live." As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness that those bitten by serpents might live, we too must look at Him who was flogged and lifted up upon the cross that we might have life. For all have been bitten by sin. Why was it a brazen serpent that was lifted up? Because Christ became sin for us. "For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Cor. 5:21.

Such love! Grace is the highest form of love, it is undeserved love. Christ not only died for us while we were yet sinners, He suffered for every sin of every human who should ever live. It was this suffering in our place that burst His heart. That is right. It was not just the stripes He took for us, but His whole life was made hard by the one who hated Him. From His birth to His death Satan made His life hard. It was this attack upon Him that made His character so very strong. "Though He were a Son, yet learned He obedience by the things He suffered." Hebrews 5:8.

How do we know of our heavenly Father's love for us? Was it easy for Him to let His innocent Son come to this dark spot in the universe? Think about this for a minute. Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life’s peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.

The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life’s peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan’s power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. “Herein is love.” Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!

It was not easy for God to allow His Son to become our Savior. Yes, they had agreed to this before the foundation of the Earth was laid. But, when it actually because time for Jesus to step in between Adam and death, it was not something that they had to do. Jesus was willing, but our heavenly Father who understood the risk, we not so ready to put into action the plan of salvation. Yes, He loves us, but at what price will He reveal that love?

Sorrow filled heaven, as it was realized that man was lost, and that world which God had created was to be filled with mortals doomed to misery, sickness, and death, and there was no way of escape for the offender. The whole family of Adam must die. I saw the lovely Jesus and beheld an expression of sympathy and sorrow upon His countenance. Soon I saw Him approach the exceeding bright light which enshrouded the Father. Said my accompanying angel, He is in close converse with His Father. The anxiety of the angels seemed to be intense while Jesus was communing with His Father. Three times He was shut in by the glorious light about the Father, and the third time He came from the Father, His person could be seen. His countenance was calm, free from all perplexity and doubt, and shone with benevolence and loveliness, such as words cannot express. He then made known to the angelic host that a way of escape had been made for lost man. He told them that He had been pleading with His Father, and had offered to give His life a ransom, to take the sentence of death upon Himself, that through Him man might find pardon; that through the merits of His blood, and obedience to the law of God, they could have the favor of God, and be brought into the beautiful garden, and eat of the fruit of the tree of life.

At first the angels could not rejoice; for their Commander concealed nothing from them, but opened before them the plan of salvation. Jesus told them that He would stand between the wrath of His Father and guilty man, that He would bear iniquity and scorn, and but few would receive Him as the Son of God. Nearly all would hate and reject Him. He would leave all His glory in heaven, appear upon earth as a man, humble Himself as a man, become acquainted by His own experience with the various temptations with which man would be beset, that He might know how to succor those who should be tempted; and that finally, after His mission as a teacher would be accomplished, He would be delivered into the hands of men, and endure almost every cruelty and suffering that Satan and his angels could inspire wicked men to inflict; that He would die the cruelest of deaths, hung up between the heavens and the earth as a guilty sinner; that He would suffer dreadful hours of agony, which even angels could not look upon, but would veil their faces from the sight. Not merely agony of body would He suffer, but mental agony, that with which bodily suffering could in no wise be compared. The weight of the sins of the whole world would be upon Him. He told them He would die and rise again the third day, and would ascend to His Father to intercede for wayward, guilty man.Early Writings, pg 149.

For those reading who are not of our faith, there is nothing in this statement that is contrary to the Word of God. Take a moment  to consider the price paid for our salvation. This is a revelation of the grace that when allowed into the heart, transforms the life. As we begin another year of life, may we in some small way hasten the soon coming of our Lord and Savior that will put an end to the suffering in this world. Come Lord Jesus!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2023, 03:03:44 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard!!

Let Jesus draw you to Him!!

"Nicodemus was being drawn to Christ. As the Saviour explained to him concerning the new birth, he longed to have this change wrought in himself. By what means could it be accomplished? Jesus answered the unspoken question: 'As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 174, paragraph 3}

"Here was ground with which Nicodemus was familiar. The symbol of the uplifted serpent made plain to him the Saviour's mission. When the people of Israel were dying from the sting of the fiery serpents, God directed Moses to make a serpent of brass, and place it on high in the midst of the congregation. Then the word was sounded throughout the encampment that all who would look upon the serpent should live. The people well knew that in itself the serpent had no power to help them. It was a symbol of Christ. As the image made in the likeness of the destroying serpents was lifted up for their healing, so One made “in the likeness of sinful flesh” was to be their Redeemer. Romans 8:3. Many of the Israelites regarded the sacrificial service as having in itself virtue to set them free from sin. God desired to teach them that it had no more value than that serpent of brass. It was to lead their minds to the Saviour. Whether for the healing of their wounds or the pardon of their sins, they could do nothing for themselves but show their faith in the Gift of God. They were to look and live." {The Desire of Ages, page 174, paragraph 3}

As we look and live, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in our lives, as we are enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God in winning souls to His kingdom and teach others the simplicity of the gospel! We will gladly obey God when Christ lives in us, the hope of glory! Praise God!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

rahab

« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2023, 09:58:16 PM »
One of my favorite chapters in DA.

Ye must be born again!!

Beacon

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2023, 08:04:04 PM »
"The Jews whom Jesus had driven from the temple claimed to be children of Abraham, but they fled from the Saviour’s presence because they could not endure the glory of God which was manifested in Him."

"Thus they gave evidence that they were not fitted by the grace of God to participate in the sacred services of the temple."

"They were zealous to maintain an appearance of holiness. "

"They however, neglected holiness of heart."

"While they were sticklers for the letter of the law, they were constantly violating its spirit."

"Their great need was that very change which Christ had been explaining to Nicodemus,—a new moral birth, a cleansing from sin, and a renewing of knowledge and holiness."

Is this not what each of "US"need?? Are "WE" wiling to admit our Great Need??

======================
Open my eyes that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.
  Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
    Spirit Divine!
Open my ears that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.
Open my mouth and let me bear
Tidings of mercy everywhere;
Open my heart and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.
Open my mind that I may read
More of Thy love in word and deed;
What shall I fear while yet Thou dost lead?
Only for light from Thee I plead.

Lyrics & Music : Clara H. Scott
Date 1895

Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2023, 08:02:24 AM »
 Amen brother Beacon.

The Christian’s life is not a modification or improvement of the old, but a transformation of nature. There is a death to self and sin, and a new life altogether. This change can be brought about only by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit. .

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2023, 09:38:31 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

Salvation is VERY important. Thankfully, it is not something that Jesus leaves us in the dark about!

"How, then, are we to be saved? 'As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,' so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. 'Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.' John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, 'I delight to do Thy will, O my God.' Psalm 40:8." {The Desire of Ages, page 175, paragraph 5}

What a transformation salvation brings to the soul! By making a complete surrender to Christ, a person goes from rebel sinner to repentant, adopted child of God as the Holy Spirit moves us to see the loveliness of Jesus and enables us to bear much fruit to God's glory! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing flow in and through the life that is vitally connected to the One who loved us and gave Himself for us! True obedience to God's commandments will not fail to be seen in the life that loves God supremely and one's neighbor as oneself!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2023, 03:47:42 AM »
Happy Sabbath!!

Since your life here in this world is temporary, wouldn't it be important to know how to receive eternal life? Thankfully, God reveals this to us clearly in His word!

"How, then, are we to be saved? 'As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,' so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. 'Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.' John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, 'I delight to do Thy will, O my God.' Psalm 40:8." {The Desire of Ages, page 175, paragraph 5}

When Christ is invited into the heart that is fully surrendered to Him, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in the life! The Holy Spirit makes possible true obedience to God's Ten Commandments, and then we can go forth as effectual witnesses to point others to Jesus and share the way of salvation in Him! Praise God!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2023, 05:00:30 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!     "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord."  2 Cor. 3:18.

There are thousands today who need to learn the same truth that was taught to Nicodemus by the uplifted serpent. They depend on their obedience to the law of God to commend them to His favor. . “The carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.” “Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.” Romans 8:7; Matthew 15:19.

How, then, are we to be saved? “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,” so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, “I delight to do Thy will, O my God.” Psalm 40:8.

We invite all to come and join with us in spending a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Jesus. For thus shall you be transformed from sinner into saint. Have a blessed Sabbath dear friends.

Beacon

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2023, 08:55:41 PM »
"How are we to be saved?"

“As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,” so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live.

“Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” John 1:29."

"The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God."His love is drawing us to Himself.

"If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour."

" Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul."

"The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. "

"The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself."

"Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ"

“I delight to do Thy will, O my God.” Psalm 40:8."

How can ''WE" Say "Thank You Jesus?? " - -Is it not by Trusting & Obeying ?? Is it not by Sharing with "Others?? The Good News!!

================================

When we walk with the Lord
  In the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way;
  While we do His good will,
  He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.
    Trust and obey,
For there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus,
  But to trust and obey.
Not a shadow can rise,
  Not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
  Not a doubt or a fear,
  Not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.
Not a burden we bear,
  Not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
  Not a grief or a loss,
  Not a frown or a cross,
But is blest if we trust and obey.
But we never can prove
  The delights of His love,
Until all on the altar we lay;
  For the favor He shows,
  And the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
Then in fellowship sweet
  We will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
  What He says we will do;
  Where He sends, we will go,
Never fear, only trust and obey.

Lyrics:John Henry Sammis (1846-1919)
Music:Daniel Brink Towner (1850-1919)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2023, 04:45:03 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!! I was blessed by the same statement today!! Such wonderful unity the Holy Spirit is bringing here in our spiritual fellowship of truth as it is in Jesus!

We have a problem. By nature, our hearts are evil, and we cannot change them. But salvation is freely offered to us in Christ!

As we are truly converted, with lives that reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in affectionate obedience to God's law of love, our capacity for knowing and loving God only increases more and more!

Dorine

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2023, 04:48:43 AM »
"Here was ground with which Nicodemus was familiar. The symbol of the uplifted serpent made plain to him the Saviour’s mission. When the people of Israel were dying from the sting of the fiery serpents, God directed Moses to make a serpent of brass, and place it on high in the midst of the congregation. Then the word was sounded throughout the encampment that all who would look upon the serpent should live. The people well knew that in itself the serpent had no power to help them. It was a symbol of Christ. As the image made in the likeness of the destroying serpents was lifted up for their healing, so One made “in the likeness of sinful flesh” was to be their Redeemer. Romans 8:3. Many of the Israelites regarded the sacrificial service as having in itself virtue to set them free from sin. God desired to teach them that it had no more value than that serpent of brass. It was to lead their minds to the Saviour. Whether for the healing of their wounds or the pardon of their sins, they could do nothing for themselves but show their faith in the Gift of God. They were to look and live."

What a lesson for Spiritual Israel today. Our names may be on the books of the church, we may be faithful tithe payers, church goers, teachers, leaders but what value is all of that if it is not in our hearts. Today and everyday we must look to Jesus and experience the beautiful soul saving relationship that He offers. What an influence for good our witness will then be to all we come in contact with.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2023, 07:01:35 AM »
If the church were to spread the message that my dear friends have shared this morning, Jesus could come. There needs to be a clear simple teaching on the plan of salvation. Satan has been just as successful today as when he deceived Israel of Old on the plan of salvation.

In the interview with Nicodemus, Jesus unfolded the plan of salvation, and His mission to the world. In none of His subsequent discourses did He explain so fully, step by step, the work necessary to be done in the hearts of all who would inherit the kingdom of heaven. At the very beginning of His ministry He opened the truth to a member of the Sanhedrin, to the mind that was most receptive, and to an appointed teacher of the people. But the leaders of Israel did not welcome the light. Nicodemus hid the truth in his heart, and for three years there was little apparent fruit.

But Jesus was acquainted with the soil into which He cast the seed. The words spoken at night to one listener in the lonely mountain were not lost. For a time Nicodemus did not publicly acknowledge Christ, but he watched His life, and pondered His teachings. In the Sanhedrin council he repeatedly thwarted the schemes of the priests to destroy Him. When at last Jesus was lifted up on the cross, Nicodemus remembered the teaching upon Olivet: “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.” The light from that secret interview illumined the cross upon Calvary, and Nicodemus saw in Jesus the world’s Redeemer....The truths there taught are as important today as they were on that solemn night in the shadowy mountain, when the Jewish ruler came to learn the way of life from the lowly Teacher of Galilee. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2023, 10:44:24 AM »
He's moving and wooing. Are you letting the Holy Spirit, like the wind, lead you to full surrender to Christ? If so, there will supernaturally come into your life all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in harmony with God's law of love, leading you in His plan for your life.

"While the wind is itself invisible, it produces effects that are seen and felt. So the work of the Spirit upon the soul will reveal itself in every act of him who has felt its saving power. When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven. No one sees the hand that lifts the burden, or beholds the light descend from the courts above. The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 173, paragraph 1}

Let us experience this ever more deeply each day as we pray for the Holy Spirit to fill us and grow us more like Christ!

rahab

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2023, 04:35:09 PM »
Nicodemus

One of my favorite chapters in DA!!!   8)

rahab

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2023, 06:17:12 PM »
I hope that this fits in with your schedule of conversations.

He (Nicodemus) searched the Scriptures in a new way, in order to receive life for the soul. He began to see the kingdom of heaven as he submitted himself to the leading of the Holy Spirit. . DA 175.2

The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, “I delight to do Thy will, O my God.” Psalm 40:8.  . DA 175.5

Isn’t this the key to what we are seeking?

How often I hear people say that the Jews crucified Jesus with the mindset that we had no responsibility for the death of Jesus. When actually our sins that were placed on Him crushed the life out of Him. We have a work to do in pleading for repentance of our sins and grab hold of eternal life in Christ Jesus.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2023, 08:18:24 PM »
Amen rahab!  Thank you for taking time to share what God has revealed to you! It is such a blessing to find those who understand the gospel message! Nicodemus is stickied because so many today need to learn the same message Christ gave to Nicodemus.

Nicodemus related to John the story of that interview, and by his pen it was recorded for the instruction of millions. The truths there taught are as important today as they were on that solemn night in the shadowy mountain, when the Jewish ruler came to learn the way of life from the lowly Teacher of Galilee.

Beacon

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2024, 08:45:31 PM »
"Jesus was acquainted with the soil into which He cast the seed."

"The words spoken at night to one listener in the lonely mountain were not lost."

"For a time Nicodemus did not publicly acknowledge Christ, but he watched His life, and pondered His teachings."

"In the Sanhedrin council he repeatedly thwarted the schemes of the priests to destroy Him."

"When at last Jesus was lifted up on the cross, Nicodemus remembered the teaching upon Olivet: “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.”

"The light from that secret interview illumined the cross upon Calvary, and Nicodemus saw in Jesus the world’s Redeemer."

"The truths there taught are as important today as they were on that solemn night in the shadowy mountain, when the Jewish ruler came to learn the way of life from the lowly Teacher of Galilee."

Are "WE" willing to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit as the words of life are repeated over and over again to each generation "I am the Way the Truth and the Life." Soon and very soon the door of our probation will close. Will "WE" be ready?? 

===========================

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2024, 07:08:09 AM »
How powerful is the pen (in other words, written communication)? Well, just think about how many people know this verse: "For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). The only reason we have that in John's gospel is because Nicodemus shared with John what Jesus had told him! Thankfully, John wrote it down! May you make it a habit to record the wonderful eternal truths that need to be shared--so others can be blessed! Uplift Jesus!

"Nicodemus related to John the story of that interview, and by his pen it was recorded for the instruction of millions. The truths there taught are as important today as they were on that solemn night in the shadowy mountain, when the Jewish ruler came to learn the way of life from the lowly Teacher of Galilee." {The Desire of Ages, page 177, paragraph 2}

Yes, the way of life has been clearly revealed to us in what Jesus told Nicodemus. We may not hear these verses repeated as often, but they are just as important: "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:14-15). Nicodemus was familiar with how Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness when the Israelites had been bitten by serpents and were dying. We have all been bitten by the serpent, for Satan has deceived and led us into sin. We cannot heal ourselves. We cannot do anything without the help of our Savior, Jesus, and we need to LOOK AND LIVE! We see the love of God so clearly revealed in the Father giving His Son to our world, letting Him experience temptation, suffering and agony for all of our sins that culminated at the cross. His death was in our place. He offers us His resurrection life in a true death to self and sin and a resurrection conversion experience in which all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be revealed in our lives! That love manifest at Calvary woos and draws us to surrender like nothing else can. It is a revelation to our dull senses of the pain which sin has caused God's heart since sin mysteriously arose in the heart of Lucifer when he chose rebellion instead of love. Though there was no reason for sin's existence, God had a plan to provide the universe with two things He so values--freedom of choice and infinite love! As we respond to His infinite love by exercising our choice to spend time each day beholding the loveliness of Jesus, we show that our priorities are aligned with God's will, and we allow the miracle of conversion to take place afresh in our hearts, preparing us to be a blessing to the world in preparation for the soon coming of Jesus!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2024, 01:08:22 PM »
Amen my dearest brothers! What a revelation of truth! Once again the great question has been answered: "How can these things be?" That is what must I do in order to be able to keep the law of God? How can I cease to sin? The answer is made so clear a child can understand. We must "look and live." Look at what? At Jesus hanging on the cross with blood running down His face and back, taking my place. By  His stripes we are healed.

How, then, are we to be saved? “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,” so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, “I delight to do Thy will, O my God.” Psalm 40:8.

In the interview with Nicodemus, Jesus unfolded the plan of salvation, and His mission to the world. In none of His subsequent discourses did He explain so fully, step by step, the work necessary to be done in the hearts of all who would inherit the kingdom of heaven. At the very beginning of His ministry He opened the truth to a member of the Sanhedrin, to the mind that was most receptive, and to an appointed teacher of the people. But the leaders of Israel did not welcome the light. Nicodemus hid the truth in his heart, and for three years there was little apparent fruit.

Don't leave people deceived about what they can do that they might escape hell and enter heaven. It is a great deception that Israel suffered, and now professing Christianity suffers.  By beholding the glory of God, His character, we shall be changed into His image (character). Read 2 Cor. 3:18.  It seems many can read this and go away as if they never read it. Many are unwilling to take time each day with Jesus. It would be well to spend a  thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Jesus, especially the closing scenes where He hung on the cross to pay the price for our sins. Such love!!