Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--15--At the Marriage Feast  (Read 34518 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--15--At the Marriage Feast
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »
It is interesting how God (the Holy Spirit) reveals certain things that we are then impressed to share. I have read this many times and have shared it elsewhere often, but never in this forum. Today, I was impressed to share this here. Speaking of John the Baptist.

John had not recognized the authority of the Sanhedrin by seeking their sanction for his work; and he had reproved rulers and people, Pharisees and Sadducees alike. Yet the people followed him eagerly. The interest in his work seemed to be continually increasing. Though he had not deferred to them, the Sanhedrin accounted that, as a public teacher, he was under their jurisdiction.
     This body was made up of members chosen from the priesthood, and from the chief rulers and teachers of the nation. The high priest was usually the president. All its members were to be men advanced in years, though not aged; men of learning, not only versed in Jewish religion and history, but in general knowledge. They were to be without physical blemish, and must be married men, and fathers, as being more likely than others to be humane and considerate.

There are two important points I feel are "present truth".  First, John was not under the authority of the Sanhedrin. They thought they could compel him, but it was not their position to control the teaching of God. So it is today. The church is to exercise control over what is taught in the church, but not outside of it. The false gospels we hear and read in the church are an abomination. The church is guilty for allowing it.

The second point of importance is to recognize the Pharisee of Pharisees (Saul), was a member of the Sanhedrin, thus he had been married, and had children. There are many who rush to conclusions thinking they understand theological truth, when in fact they misunderstand. It is good that we have strong opinions, but we need to take care we do not persecute others when they do not adhere to what we think is truth.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »
You have brought out some very important and interesting points. We are no different than the rulers were in Jesus day. There are those who are drawn to Jesus the Messiah with a heart of love and obedience to the truth and others are drawn to another Jesus that lets them decide what truth best suits them. 

The sad part is how much the error is permeating our pulpits and it's what so many want to hear. So few realize that there is a reckoning day coming and that truth is absolute and not something that you pick and choose to your liking.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 05:40:28 AM »
Why is this happening in God's church, Dorine?  Many are being deceived as it was when Christ cleansed the temple (today's reading). What would God have us to do?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »
Why is this happening in God's church, Dorine?  Many are being deceived as it was when Christ cleansed the temple (today's reading). What would God have us to do?

I just finished reading about the life of Abraham from Scripture and SOP and something jumped out at me that seems to be a part of the answer to your question. It's a bit long but worth every minute of time reading it.

....."Abraham would not only give right instruction, but he would maintain the authority of just and righteous laws.  {PP 142.3} 
How few there are in our day who follow this example! On the part of too many parents there is a blind and selfish sentimentalism, miscalled love, which is manifested in leaving children, with their unformed judgment and undisciplined passions, to the control of their own will. This is the veriest cruelty to the youth and a great wrong to the world. Parental indulgence causes disorder in families and in society. It confirms in the young the desire to follow inclination, instead of submitting to the divine requirements. Thus they grow up with a heart averse to doing God's will, and they transmit their irreligious, insubordinate spirit to their children and children's children. Like Abraham, parents should command their households after them. Let obedience to parental authority be taught and enforced as the first step in obedience to the authority of God."  {PP 142.4}

"The children, as they make homes of their own, feel under no obligation to teach their children what they themselves have never been taught. And this is why there are so many godless families; this is why depravity is so deep and widespread."  {PP 143.1} 
     "Not until parents themselves walk in the law of the Lord with perfect hearts will they be prepared to command their children after them. A reformation in this respect is needed--a reformation which shall be deep and broad. Parents need to reform; ministers need to reform; they need God in their households. If they would see a different state of things, they must bring His word into their families and must make it their counselor. They must teach their children that it is the voice of God addressed to them, and is to be implicitly obeyed. They should patiently instruct their children, kindly and untiringly teach them how to live in order to please God. The children of such a household are prepared to meet the sophistries of infidelity. They have accepted the Bible as the basis of their faith, and they have a foundation that cannot be swept away by the incoming tide of skepticism."  {PP 143.2} 
     " In too many households prayer is neglected. Parents feel that they have no time for morning and evening worship. They cannot spare a few moments to be spent in thanksgiving to God for His abundant mercies--for the blessed sunshine and the showers of rain, which cause vegetation to flourish, and for the guardianship of holy angels. They have no time to offer prayer for divine help and guidance and for the abiding presence of Jesus in the household. They go forth to labor as the ox or the horse goes, without one thought of God or heaven. They have souls so precious that rather than permit them to be hopelessly lost, the Son of God gave His life to ransom them; but they have little more appreciation of His great goodness than have the beasts that perish."  {PP 143.3} 

What can we do? If we have followed these instructions in our own households the whole family will have a silent influence on others. The final results rests with the individuals choice. There is much more power in a sermon lived than a sermon preached.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:51 AM »
Amen, Dorine!   When choosing a spouse, it would be well to consider how they were reared. Even having formed a good character, it would still be hard to rear a child if there was no learned experience.  But, there is hope for those who were not reared in a proper manner. Jesus has promised to transform all who will come to Him just as they are. Then, when filled with His Spirit, we have before us something that too many church members refuse to study, the book called Child Guidance. All are without excuse for not understanding how to rear children.

So, first we need Jesus, then we read the book.

Now, that takes care of the witness of families, and why there are so many problems in the church, but what about those who are not rearing children, or have already done so? What can we do about the situation in God's church?

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
I ask the same question . My immediate answer is "prayer".  Much prayer and fasting. If the church is not willing to follow the counsels we have been given what other recourse is there? I wish I had better insight into the situation.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 05:58:04 AM »
Amen, Dorine!  God had a similar problem with Israel of Old.  What did He do? He sent His Son. But, before Christ was born, another was born, John. He was to prepare the way for the first coming of Christ. Is there a lesson for us today? Yes, there is. John did a lot of praying. Let's look at what God has said about John the Baptist as it applies to our church today, you and me. He was a voice crying in the wilderness of an apostate church.

Yes, John's experience is to be ours. As a prophet, he was "to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord." In preparing the way for Christ's first advent, he was a representative of those who are to prepare a people for our Lord's second coming. The world is given to self-indulgence. Errors and fables abound. Satan's snares for destroying souls are multiplied. All who would perfect holiness in the fear of God must learn the lessons of temperance and self-control. The appetites and passions must be held in subjection to the higher powers of the mind. This self-discipline is essential to that mental strength and spiritual insight which will enable us to understand and to practice the sacred truths of God's word. For this reason temperance finds its place in the work of preparation for Christ's second coming. Try explaining this to most professing Christians. They see no relationship between what they eat and their religious experience. They see no need for a righteous character that obeys the Word of God. :(

We must sweep away the lies about salvation. We must present Jesus as the only solution. We must point the people to Jesus.

John proclaimed the coming of the Messiah, and called the people to repentance. As a symbol of cleansing from sin, he baptized them in the waters of the Jordan. Thus by a significant object lesson he declared that those who claimed to be the chosen people of God were defiled by sin, and that without purification of heart and life they could have no part in the Messiah's kingdom.

From tomorrow's reading:  "John had been called to direct the people to Jesus." We read in Scripture "Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world!" John 1:29. So, God has called us to give the same message not only in the church, but in the world. God will use each one of us to bring this message to a world soon to perish.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 05:30:19 AM »
What a beautiful revelation of the loveliness of Jesus! As many think of the resurrection of Christ this morning, we can rejoice that Jesus came to guide us in an experience of revival and reformation--by coming close to humanity. As we follow His example, what a great reformation may be wrought! It was so encouraging yesterday on Sabbath to enjoy fellowship on a three-way call with two other friends who are brothers in Christ--even though we are separated by thousands of miles! I am SO SO THANKFUL that we can be gathered together even here ONLINE! Praise the Lord!

Jesus began the work of reformation by coming into close sympathy with humanity. While He showed the greatest reverence for the law of God, He rebuked the pretentious piety of the Pharisees, and tried to free the people from the senseless rules that bound them. He was seeking to break down the barriers which separated the different classes of society, that He might bring men together as children of one family. His attendance at the marriage feast was designed to be a step toward effecting this.

It is truly a blessing to go where God would have us, that we may bless others and sow seeds of light into their minds by our words, manner, and interaction with them in a way that reveals that Jesus is in us. How will they see Him? When we have Jesus reigning on the throne of our hearts, all the fruits of His Spirit will be seen in our lives--not one will be missing! Praise the Lord!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 07:30:03 AM »
Amen! Just as Jesus blessed those at the wedding feast, He wants to bless us today. Technology can be used to bless others just as Satan uses it to destroy souls. Here online many can enjoy fellowship that would be impossible otherwise.

As men set forth the best wine first, then afterward that which is worse, so does the world with its gifts. That which it offers may please the eye and fascinate the senses, but it proves to be unsatisfying. The wine turns to bitterness, the gaiety to gloom. That which was begun with songs and mirth ends in weariness and disgust. But the gifts of Jesus are ever fresh and new. The feast that He provides for the soul never fails to give satisfaction and joy. Each new gift increases the capacity of the receiver to appreciate and enjoy the blessings of the Lord. He gives grace for grace. There can be no failure of supply. If you abide in Him, the fact that you receive a rich gift today insures the reception of a richer gift tomorrow. The words of Jesus to Nathanael express the law of God's dealing with the children of faith. With every fresh revelation of His love, He declares to the receptive heart, "Believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these." John 1:50. 

Each day as we study the life of Christ, we receive this revelation of His love. It is so different from the things of the world that "please the eye and fascinate the senses." Feasts, cars, boats, planes, jewelry, clothes, houses, and worldly music leave no lasting joy. But, by beholding the loveliness of Jesus we are given a blessing that brings love, joy, and peace to the life. Let today be a day of feasting upon Jesus and of sharing that which we have been shown. We may brighten the pathway of those who know not the character of our God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 04:09:55 AM »
Our interaction in the world is God's chosen way for us to reveal Christ to those who know Him not.

As disciples of Christ we shall not mingle with the world from a mere love of pleasure, to unite with them in folly. Such associations can result only in harm. We should never give sanction to sin by our words or our deeds, our silence or our presence. Wherever we go, we are to carry Jesus with us, and to reveal to others the preciousness of our Saviour. But those who try to preserve their religion by hiding it within stone walls lose precious opportunities of doing good. Through the social relations, Christianity comes in contact with the world. Everyone who has received the divine illumination is to brighten the pathway of those who know not the Light of life.

It is interesting and informative that "silence" is a witness. So it may in the church also.

Dorine

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 06:09:17 AM »
That same thought spoke very loudly to me Richard. In fact the whole chapter has a message that challenges me. Jesus was constantly putting Himself where He would be a blessing to others. Where ever He went his influence was strongly felt.

"The example of Christ in linking Himself with the interests of humanity should be followed by all who preach His word, and by all who have received the gospel of His grace. We are not to renounce social communion. We should not seclude ourselves from others. In order to reach all classes, we must meet them where they are. They will seldom seek us of their own accord."

The balance between your quote and mine is made possible only through a daily connection with Christ. It is not part of our "natural" nature.

As I go forth from our reading today I pray for a new awareness of the needs of all those that cross my path today. What can I do or say that will make their day more joyful, or relieve their anxieties, and bring comfort to their souls; both physically and spiritually. Starting in my own home.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 06:58:35 AM »
Amen, Richard and Dorine! Only in Christ--abiding within us--can we know His will and have the power to do it moment-by-moment!

We should never give to the world the false impression that Christians are a gloomy, unhappy people. If our eyes are fixed on Jesus, we shall see a compassionate Redeemer, and shall catch light from His countenance. Wherever His Spirit reigns, there peace abides. And there will be joy also, for there is a calm, holy trust in God. 
     Christ is pleased with His followers when they show that, though human, they are partakers of the divine nature. They are not statues, but living men and women. Their hearts, refreshed by the dews of divine grace, open and expand to the Sun of Righteousness. The light that shines upon them they reflect upon others in works that are luminous with the love of Christ.

Amen to this precious truth!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2017, 04:38:43 AM »
I love Jesus and how beautiful an experience He has for us! It is an experience that only gets better each day as we abide in Him!

In reflection upon John 2:1-11 where Jesus made the water into wine, I appreciate this thought:

"But the gifts of Jesus are ever fresh and new. The feast that He provides for the soul never fails to give satisfaction and joy. Each new gift increases the capacity of the receiver to appreciate and enjoy the blessings of the Lord. He gives grace for grace. There can be no failure of supply. If you abide in Him, the fact that you receive a rich gift today insures the reception of a richer gift tomorrow." {The Desire of Ages, page 148, paragraph 3}

What a Savior! What love!!

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
Amen pastor Sean! a richer gift each day. What a loving Savior we have. This reminds me that we told that in Heaven that each we will be happier than the day before. Sounds to me like our Savior doesn't change and will continue to give us good gifts.

Jas 1:17  Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 03:45:56 AM »
I love how Jesus comes close to us and seeks to elevate our thoughts heavenward and encourage us to behold His character. As I was reading in John 2:1-11, I was encouraged by the thought that the six waterpots were filled to the brim with water, and as in Revelation 17:15 waters represent peoples, I was flashed with the thought that God would have us to fill our lives with the people whom we can bless and encourage to go from drinking the common waters of life (the life in the flesh) to the wine of heaven (the divine nature). May this be our experience today! Find as many souls as you can, to whom you can seek to impart of the blessing Jesus has given you!!

"Christ is pleased with His followers when they show that, though human, they are partakers of the divine nature. They are not statues, but living men and women. Their hearts, refreshed by the dews of divine grace, open and expand to the Sun of Righteousness. The light that shines upon them they reflect upon others in works that are luminous with the love of Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 153, paragraph 1}

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 06:42:10 AM »
"Let the world see that we are not selfishly absorbed in our own interests, but that we desire others to share our blessings and privileges. Let them see that our religion does not make us unsympathetic or exacting. Let all who profess to have found Christ, minister as He did for the benefit of men."

How many times have I read this? but today it was something God knew I needed to meditate on. We are constantly witnessing for God or the enemy. Do I talk out of both sides of my mouth? Am I walking the talk? Am I a consistent witness for Jesus (through the ups and downs) so that others will be drawn to Him?

Dear Lord, I want to be putty in your hands. Take my heart today and make me more sensitive to the picture I am portraying of you to my family, friends and neighbours. Thank you.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »
Amen, dear Sister Dorine. Oh how much do we want Jesus to take our hearts and cleanse them. It is a continual matter that we cling to Christ, that He will remain in the heart. The closer we get to Him, the more clearly we see who we are by nature. Praise God that the Holy Spirit is willing to take possession of these filthy hearts and cleanse them white as snow!!

My prayer continually is "Lord take my heart for I cannot give it. I believe take away my miserable unbelief." Before we can be cleansed, we must understand how defiled we are by nature. Then, we must understand the power of grace to transform us when we become partakers of Christ's divine nature, as Pastor Sean has quoted. What a miracle!!

We should never give to the world the false impression that Christians are a gloomy, unhappy people. If our eyes are fixed on Jesus, we shall see a compassionate Redeemer, and shall catch light from His countenance. Wherever His Spirit reigns, there peace abides. And there will be joy also, for there is a calm, holy trust in God. 

We trust Him because we know Him personally.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2018, 04:44:57 AM »
But though Mary had not a right conception of Christ's mission, she trusted Him implicitly. To this faith Jesus responded. It was to honor Mary's trust, and to strengthen the faith of His disciples, that the first miracle was performed. The disciples were to encounter many and great temptations to unbelief. To them the prophecies had made it clear beyond all controversy that Jesus was the Messiah. They looked for the religious leaders to receive Him with confidence even greater than their own. They declared among the people the wonderful works of Christ and their own confidence in His mission, but they were amazed and bitterly disappointed by the unbelief, the deep-seated prejudice, and the enmity to Jesus, displayed by the priests and rabbis. The Saviour's early miracles strengthened the disciples to stand against this opposition.

I thought this was interesting in light of Mary's response when she was told she'd become pregnant by the power of the Holy Spirit.

38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

Even then she showed trust in God. If she had any "advantage" at all it was that she learned to trust God early in her life. While we don't know for sure but I'm guessing she had faithful parents. The other thing that struck me was the purpose for the miracles. To strengthen the faith of the disciples. So it can be with each of us. Had God worked miracles in yours life? Has He directly and decidedly answered your prayers? Yes? Then remember these and count your blessings when tough times come along and temptations to unbelief threaten your faith. In this way looking to the past can help you face the present and the future.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2018, 05:08:05 AM »
Amen, Jim! God leads and blesses us as we remember our past experiences with Jesus!

“As men set forth the best wine first, then afterward that which is worse, so does the world with its gifts. That which it offers may please the eye and fascinate the senses, but it proves to be unsatisfying. The wine turns to bitterness, the gaiety to gloom. That which was begun with songs and mirth ends in weariness and disgust. But the gifts of Jesus are ever fresh and new. The feast that He provides for the soul never fails to give satisfaction and joy. Each new gift increases the capacity of the receiver to appreciate and enjoy the blessings of the Lord. He gives grace for grace. There can be no failure of supply. If you abide in Him, the fact that you receive a rich gift today insures the reception of a richer gift tomorrow. The words of Jesus to Nathanael express the law of God’s dealing with the children of faith. With every fresh revelation of His love, He declares to the receptive heart, ‘Believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.’” John 1:50. – {The Desire of Ages, page 148, paragraph 3}

Jesus has even more for us today!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2018, 05:28:18 AM »
With every fresh revelation of His love, He declares to the receptive heart, ‘Believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.’” John 1:50. – {The Desire of Ages, page 148, paragraph 3}[/color] Jesus has even more for us today!

I love this! and it goes right along with my earlier post. However, look at the 2nd part.... Jesus has even more for us today!! So if Christ blessed you yesterday then you can expect to receive more today. What a gracious Savior we have!