Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--15--At the Marriage Feast  (Read 34584 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--15--At the Marriage Feast
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2022, 08:22:16 PM »
"The gifts of Jesus are ever fresh and new."

"The feast that He provides for the soul never fails to give satisfaction and joy."

"Each new gift increases the capacity of the receiver to appreciate and enjoy the blessings of the Lord."

"There can be no failure of supply. If you abide in Him."

Today Jesus is saying to each of us.. Freely ye have received, freely give."  Matthew 10:8

Come, every soul by sin oppressed,
  There’s mercy with the Lord;
And He will surely give you rest
  By trusting in His Word.
    Only trust Him! Only trust Him!
  Only trust Him now!
He will save you! He will save you!
    He will save you now!
For Jesus shed His precious blood
  Rich blessings to bestow;
Plunge now into the crimson flood
  That washeth white as snow.
Yes, Jesus is the Truth, the Way,
  That leads you into rest;
Believe in Him without delay,
  And you are fully blest.
Come then, and join the holy band,
  And on to glory go;
In Christ’s redemption take your stand,
  And all His goodness know.

Lyrics & Music: John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2022, 06:00:13 AM »
"It was by personal contact and association that Jesus trained His disciples. Sometimes He taught them, sitting among them on the mountainside; sometimes beside the sea, or walking with them by the way, He revealed the mysteries of the kingdom of God. He did not sermonize as men do today. Wherever hearts were open to receive the divine message, He unfolded the truths of the way of salvation. He did not command His disciples to do this or that, but said, "Follow Me." On His journeys through country and cities He took them with Him, that they might see how He taught the people. He linked their interest with His, and they united with Him in the work."

Through God's word and our daily readings we have the privilege of being taught of Jesus just as the disciples were. We are learning the lessons He taught to them. Anywhere there are souls open to the teachings of Jesus we are to minister so that they have an opportunity to answer the call of the Holy Spirit to give their hearts to Christ. We are given the easiest part in the salvation of souls yet Satan successfully convinces many that it is the hardest part causing discouragement and unbelief. We have all of heaven ready to work through us to accomplish Christ's command to take the gospel to the world.  May we trust fully in the  promises of God and encouraged by what we read.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2022, 08:00:11 AM »
Amen my brother and sister!  What a joy to know of and to receive His grace daily. Then we have much to share with those who we come in contact with.

Christ is pleased with His followers when they show that, though human, they are partakers of the divine nature. They are not statues, but living men and women. Their hearts, refreshed by the dews of divine grace, open and expand to the Sun of Righteousness. The light that shines upon them they reflect upon others in works that are luminous with the love of Christ. 

Jesus would have us take the hand of others and rather than telling them what to do, show them how we minister to those who know not the Creator of the world.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2022, 11:40:37 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, and Brother Richard!

Only Christ can fully supply what we need. We need His grace and His forgiveness; we need His healing and provision. Christ offers us much more than we can ask or think. He gives us overcoming power so we can have all of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives without one missing as we surrender all to Christ and let Him lead us in the path of true, affectionate obedience.

"The word of Christ supplied ample provision for the feast. So abundant is the provision of His grace to blot out the iniquities of men, and to renew and sustain the soul." {The Desire of Ages, page 149, paragraph 1}

Christ not only renews us, but keep us by His grace! Let us look away from self to Jesus!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2022, 08:44:26 PM »
"Christ is pleased with His followers when they show that, though human, they are partakers of the divine nature."

"They are not statues, but living men and women."

"Their hearts, refreshed by the dews of divine grace, open and expand to the Sun of Righteousness."

"The light that shines upon them they reflect upon others in works that are luminous with the love of Christ."

Does our life, yours and mine, reflect works that are luminous with the Love of Christ?

=======================

Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.
    O Jesus, Lord and Savior,
I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy [redemption],*
Didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master,
My heart shall be Thy throne,
My life I give, henceforth to live,
O Christ, for Thee alone.
Living for Jesus who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv’ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.
Living for Jesus wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.
Living for Jesus through earth’s little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.

Lyrics:Thomas Obediah Chisholm (1866-1960)
Music:Carl Harold Lowden (1883-1963)

Dorine

« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2022, 06:04:28 AM »
...."There was danger that Mary would regard her relationship to Jesus as giving her a special claim upon Him, and the right, in some degree, to direct Him in His mission. For thirty years He had been to her a loving and obedient son, and His love was unchanged; but He must now go about His Father's work. As Son of the Most High, and Saviour of the world, no earthly ties must hold Him from His mission, or influence His conduct. He must stand free to do the will of God. This lesson is also for us. The claims of God are paramount even to the ties of human relationship. No earthly attraction should turn our feet from the path in which He bids us walk."

This is one huge reason young people should not court and marry not only those that are non-believers but those who are professing to be followers of Christ but do not show it in the way that they live. Can two walk together lest they be agreed?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2022, 06:48:10 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

What a blessing to choose to follow Christ's method and walk in His will! When we yield all of the heart to Him, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be manifest in our lives as we grow in affectionately obeying God and blessing others!

"It was by personal contact and association that Jesus trained His disciples. Sometimes He taught them, sitting among them on the mountainside; sometimes beside the sea, or walking with them by the way, He revealed the mysteries of the kingdom of God. He did not sermonize as men do today. Wherever hearts were open to receive the divine message, He unfolded the truths of the way of salvation. He did not command His disciples to do this or that, but said, 'Follow Me.' On His journeys through country and cities He took them with Him, that they might see how He taught the people. He linked their interest with His, and they united with Him in the work." {The Desire of Ages, page 152, paragraph 1}

As we are linked up with Christ, He empowers us to do new things for His kingdom!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2022, 08:07:01 PM »
"Jesus did not sermonize as men do today."

"Wherever hearts were open to receive the divine message, He unfolded the truths of the way of salvation.

"He did not command His disciples to do this or that, but said, "Follow Me."

"On His journeys through country and cities He took them with Him,"

"That they might see how He taught the people."

He linked their interest with His, and they united with Him in the work."

Jesus most always taught by example. Let us therefore look to Him for guidance & wisdom.

============================

"He leadeth me! O blessed thought,
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught;
Whate’er I do, where’er I be,
Still ’tis Christ’s hand that leadeth me.
    He leadeth me! He leadeth me!
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
  For by His hand He leadeth me.
Sometimes ’mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, o’er troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.
Lord, I would clasp Thy hand in mine,
Nor ever murmur or repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since it is Thou that leadest me.
And when my task on earth is done,
When, by Thy grace, the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since Thou in triumph leadest me."

Lyrics:Joseph Henry Gilmore (1834-1918)
Music:William Batchelder Bradbury (1816-1868)

Dorine

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2022, 04:01:00 AM »
"As disciples of Christ we shall not mingle with the world from a mere love of pleasure, to unite with them in folly. Such associations can result only in harm. We should never give sanction to sin by our words or our deeds, our silence or our presence. Wherever we go, we are to carry Jesus with us, and to reveal to others the preciousness of our Saviour. But those who try to preserve their religion by hiding it within stone walls lose precious opportunities of doing good. Through the social relations, Christianity comes in contact with the world. Everyone who has received the divine illumination is to brighten the pathway of those who know not the Light of life."

One thing that stood out to me this morning was that Jesus didn't wait for souls to seek Him out. He could be found where the people were. Where ever He was the atmosphere of heaven was there. He did not preach but sought to bring joy and happiness to each soul. He shared in their innocent pleasures. His mission was to bring redemption to all who would accept Him. His mission is our mission and He shows us through this marvelous book how that is to be accomplished. Cultures may be different. Society may be different but the needs of people never change. The Holy Spirit will work with us and help us to establish ways to reach the people for Jesus.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2022, 05:30:13 AM »
Parise the Lord, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

"It was by personal contact and association that Jesus trained His disciples. Sometimes He taught them, sitting among them on the mountainside; sometimes beside the sea, or walking with them by the way, He revealed the mysteries of the kingdom of God. He did not sermonize as men do today. Wherever hearts were open to receive the divine message, He unfolded the truths of the way of salvation. He did not command His disciples to do this or that, but said, 'Follow Me.' On His journeys through country and cities He took them with Him, that they might see how He taught the people. He linked their interest with His, and they united with Him in the work." {The Desire of Ages, page 152, paragraph 1}

Let us follow Christ in every aspect as He reproduces His character in us! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in our lives as long as we are connected to Him in a vital union and communion of our souls by grace through faith!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2022, 03:03:02 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon! Let us do as did Jesus. Find those seeking truth, share it and take them by the hand and lead them to do Jesus did. Those who love the Lord our God with the whole heart will want to find others like themselves, seeking truth.

Amen Sister Dorine! We do not want to hide our religion, but rather to find those seeking to understand what is happening around them, as the world falls apart. They will appreciate what we have to share. An omnipotent God who loves even those who put His dear innocent Son on the cross.

My mind took notice of the mention of grace in a very attractive manner this morning:

The word of Christ supplied ample provision for the feast. So abundant is the provision of His grace to blot out the iniquities of men, and to renew and sustain the soul. 

In the middle of our reading, God takes a moment to remind us of another miracle, the greatest of all, to fill us with His grace to renew and sustain the soul.....and to blot out the iniquities of men!!!  What a powerful and loving God we serve!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2022, 08:00:30 PM »
"Jesus did not sermonize as men do today."

"Wherever hearts were open to receive the divine message, He unfolded the truths of the way of salvation."

"He did not command His disciples to do this or that, but said, 'Follow Me.'

On His journeys through country and cities He took them with Him, that they might see how He taught the people.

"He linked their interest with His, and they united with Him in the work."

This reminds of an old saying that goes like this... " I'd RATHER SEE A SERMON - THAN HEAR ONE ANY DAY!

IT HAS ALSO BEEN SAID... "THAT SEEING IS BELIEVING ."

So the question is..."What do others SEE & HEAR as they interact with us who claim to be Christians? "

========================

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Lyrics:Mrs. Ada A. Whiddington (1891)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2022, 08:05:06 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

What a joy to experience the blessing of Christ living in us, and giving us great joy to bless others! When we yield fully to Christ, He fills us with His holy presence and produces in us the fruit of the Spirit (without one trait of the divine nature missing) as the expression of our union and communion with Him! May you find great peace in God working in and through you today to bless others!

"Christ is pleased with His followers when they show that, though human, they are partakers of the divine nature. They are not statues, but living men and women. Their hearts, refreshed by the dews of divine grace, open and expand to the Sun of Righteousness. The light that shines upon them they reflect upon others in works that are luminous with the love of Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 153, paragraph 1}

As we grow in Christ, not only will be gladly obey the light of truth that He has revealed to us, but we will be empowered to be more and more like Christ who has no limit to what He can do in and thorough a life truly converted to Him! Praise the Lord!

Philip T

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2022, 10:15:12 AM »
    As men set forth the best wine first, then afterward that which is worse, so does the world with its gifts. That which it offers may please the eye and fascinate the senses, but it proves to be unsatisfying. The wine turns to bitterness, the gaiety to gloom. That which was begun with songs and mirth ends in weariness and disgust. But the gifts of Jesus are ever fresh and new. The feast that He provides for the soul never fails to give satisfaction and joy. Each new gift increases the capacity of the receiver to appreciate and enjoy the blessings of the Lord. He gives grace for grace. There can be no failure of supply. If you abide in Him, the fact that you receive a rich gift today insures the reception of a richer gift tomorrow. The words of Jesus to Nathanael express the law of God's dealing with the children of faith. With every fresh revelation of His love, He declares to the receptive heart, "Believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these." John 1:50.
     The gift of Christ to the marriage feast was a symbol. The water represented baptism into His death; the wine, the shedding of His blood for the sins of the world. The water to fill the jars was brought by human hands, but the word of Christ alone could impart to it life-giving virtue. So with the rites which point to the Saviour's death. It is only by the power of Christ, working through faith, that they have efficacy to nourish the soul.

These two paragraphs spoke to me this morning, when we accept Jesus as our savior, we receive rich gifts from God, and as we receive them our faith is strengthened and grows, our belief in God is strengthed, however; it is only the blood/grace of Jesus that saves us, when we have faith in Jesus life, death, crucifixion, and resurrection.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2022, 03:16:30 AM »
Amen Brother Philip, I too appreciated the promise of a richer gift tomorrow!

We should all become witnesses for Jesus. Social power, sanctified by the grace of Christ, must be improved in winning souls to the Saviour. Let the world see that we are not selfishly absorbed in our own interests, but that we desire others to share our blessings and privileges. Let them see that our religion does not make us unsympathetic or exacting. Let all who profess to have found Christ, minister as He did for the benefit of men.
     We should never give to the world the false impression that Christians are a gloomy, unhappy people. If our eyes are fixed on Jesus, we shall see a compassionate Redeemer, and shall catch light from His countenance. Wherever His Spirit reigns, there peace abides. And there will be joy also, for there is a calm, holy trust in God. 

Amen! All of the fruits will be see in the life of all who are truly converted. Who would not want love, joy, and peace amid the tribulation in the world today.

Beacon

« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2022, 08:11:52 PM »
"The gifts of Jesus are ever fresh and new."

"The feast that He provides for the soul never fails to give satisfaction and joy."

"Each new gift increases the capacity of the receiver to appreciate and enjoy the blessings of the Lord."

"He gives grace for grace.There can be no failure of supply."

"If you abide in Him, the fact that you receive a rich gift today insures the reception of a richer gift tomorrow."

"He declares to the receptive heart, "Believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these." John 1:50."

"The gift of Christ to the marriage feast was a symbol."

"The water represented baptism into His death; the wine, the shedding of His blood for the sins of the world. The water to fill the jars was brought by human hands."

"But the word of Christ alone could impart to it life-giving virtue."

"So with the rites which point to the Saviour's death. It is only by the power of Christ, working through faith, that they have efficacy to nourish the soul."

Do " WE " Truly Believe that the Word of Christ Alone can impart living-giving virtue? Perhaps our prayer should be "Lord I Believe - Help Thou my unbelief."

=======================
Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high:
Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide;
O receive my soul at last.
Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, oh, leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed,
All my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing.
Thou, O Christ, art all I want;
More than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
Heal the sick and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy name,
I am all unrighteousness;
Vile and full of sin I am,
Thou art full of truth and grace.
Plenteous grace with Thee is found,
Grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound;
Make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art,
Freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart,
Rise to all eternity.

Lyrics:Charles Wesley (1707-1788) bio
Music:Joseph Parry (1841-1903) bio

HAPPY SABBATH TO ALL WHO ARE READING THIS AT VARIOUS POINTS AROUND THE WORLD. BE OF GOOD COURAGE OUR EARTHLY JOURNEY IS ALMOST OVER. WE ARE NEARING OUR ETERNAL HOME. " EVEN SO COME LORD JESUS."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2022, 08:57:40 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  And when we receive the blessing from God, the joy that comes with it is reflected to those we come in contact with. This is why He leaves us in this wicked world, to reveal the character of God to those seeking truth.

Christ is pleased with His followers when they show that, though human, they are partakers of the divine nature. They are not statues, but living men and women. Their hearts, refreshed by the dews of divine grace, open and expand to the Sun of Righteousness. The light that shines upon them they reflect upon others in works that are luminous with the love of Christ. 

Amen Brother we are nearing home!! Look up, for our redemption draweth nigh!

Have a blessed Sabbath and a blessed new year, dear friends!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2022, 02:33:13 PM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!!

Happy Sabbath!!

It was all out of love. Everything Jesus did was because He loved the Father and the souls for whom He came into this world to lay down His life to save. As we abide in Christ's love by a complete surrender of all we have and are, His experience becomes ours. All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will spontaneously "break forth as the morning" Isaiah 58:8. This converted experience will lead to selfless obedience to God's law of love as manifest in unselfish ministry to those in need, even as Jesus gave us the perfect example!

"Jesus reproved self-indulgence in all its forms, yet He was social in His nature. He accepted the hospitality of all classes, visiting the homes of the rich and the poor, the learned and the ignorant, and seeking to elevate their thoughts from questions of commonplace life to those things that are spiritual and eternal. He gave no license to dissipation, and no shadow of worldly levity marred His conduct; yet He found pleasure in scenes of innocent happiness, and by His presence sanctioned the social gathering. A Jewish marriage was an impressive occasion, and its joy was not displeasing to the Son of man. By attending this feast, Jesus honored marriage as a divine institution." {The Desire of Ages, page 150, paragraph 5}

When we realize how much God loves us and trust the way God leads us, we can be happy, peaceful and obedient Christians who thrive in doing God's will!

Beacon

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2023, 08:07:04 PM »
"Social power, sanctified by the grace of Christ, must be improved in winning souls to the Saviour."

"Let the world see that we are not selfishly absorbed in our own interests, but that we desire others to share our blessings and privileges."

"Let them see that our religion does not make us unsympathetic or exacting."

"Let all who profess to have found Christ, minister as He did for the benefit of men."

"We should never give to the world the false impression that Christians are a gloomy, unhappy people. If our eyes are fixed on Jesus, we shall see a compassionate Redeemer, and shall catch light from His countenance.

"Wherever His Spirit reigns, there peace abides."

"There will be joy also, for there is a calm, holy trust in God."

"The gift of Christ to the marriage feast was a symbol.  It is only by the power of Christ, working through faith, that they have efficacy to nourish the soul."

What do "Others " see and hear in "US" Do they see Peace & Joy.? Or Turmoil & Stress?

=======================
Earthly pleasures vainly call me,
  I would be like Jesus;
Nothing worldly shall enthrall me,
  I would be like Jesus.
    Be like Jesus, this my song,
  In the home and in the throng;
Be like Jesus, all day long!
    I would be like Jesus.
He has broken every fetter,
  I would be like Jesus;
That my soul may serve Him better,
  I would be like Jesus.
All the way from earth to glory,
  I would be like Jesus;
Telling o’er and o’er the story,
  I would be like Jesus.

Lyrics:James Rowe (1866-1933)
Music:Bentley DeForest Ackley (1872-1958)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2023, 06:03:39 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon.  Jesus gives us love joy and peace when we Give him our whole heart.  A couple of things  Impressed me this morning. Mary thought Jesus lost to her forever at that 1st trip for Jesus to the temple.  I never realized that before.  It would be hard for us to imagine the horror that went through her mind.

From the day when she heard the angel's announcement in the home at Nazareth Mary had treasured every evidence that Jesus was the Messiah. His sweet, unselfish life assured her that He could be no other than the Sent of God. Yet there came to her also doubts and disappointments, and she had longed for the time when His glory should be revealed. Death had separated her from Joseph, who had shared her knowledge of the mystery of the birth of Jesus. Now there was no one to whom she could confide her hopes and fears. The past two months had been very sorrowful. She had been parted from Jesus, in whose sympathy she found comfort; she pondered upon the words of Simeon, "A sword shall pierce through thy own soul also" (Luke 2:35); she recalled the three days of agony when she thought Jesus lost to her forever; and with an anxious heart she awaited His return.