Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--45--The Foreshadowing of the Cross  (Read 16296 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--45--The Foreshadowing of the Cross
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2019, 08:56:53 PM »
"The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending. Even before He took humanity upon Him, He saw the whole length of the path He must travel in order to save that which was lost. Every pang that rent His heart, every insult that was heaped upon His head, every privation that He was called to endure, was open to His view before He laid aside His crown and royal robe, and stepped down from the throne, to clothe His divinity with humanity. The path from the manger to Calvary was all before His eyes. He knew the anguish that would come upon Him. He knew it all, and yet He said, "Lo, I come: in the volume of the Book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:7, 8.

"1 John 3:1 "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God."

"Ever before Him, Jesus saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought. By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God. Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame.  {DA 410.2}"

Do we really understand and appreciate the Cost of Our Redemption?? The Great Sacrifice & Love that Jesus gave on our behalf to make our redemption possible??  May our prayer today be....All to Jesus I surrender All to Him I Freely Give. We must not let the devil distract us with any of his specious temptations. Let us Turn Our Eyes Upon Jesus - Look Full in His Wonderful Face and the things of Earth Will Grow Strangely Dim in the Light of His Glory and Grace.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2019, 06:19:56 AM »
Amen, Beacon! The hymn you referred to is the theme song we are using in our evangelistic meetings as we focus on "Jesus on Prophecy" and point souls to the only one whose grace can save sinners and make them into redeemed saints!!

We can keep our eyes on Jesus amid the trials of life, and thank God that the cross is the evidence of God's infinite love for us. Oh, may we keep our eyes upward!!

Jesus knew the cross was full of suffering, but it was His joy to see us redeemed!!

"Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought. By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God. Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame."  {The Desire of Ages, page 410, paragraph 2} 

May the cross Jesus gives us today be borne cheerfully with the realization that our faithfulness in the unique sphere where God has us is a part of His great plan to save souls! Glory in the cross!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2019, 07:47:20 AM »
  "Love for souls for whom Christ died means crucifixion of self. He who is a child of God should henceforth look upon himself as a link in the chain let down to save the world, one with Christ in His plan of mercy, going forth with Him to seek and save the lost. The Christian is ever to realize that he has consecrated himself to God, and that in character he is to reveal Christ to the world. The self-sacrifice, the sympathy, the love, manifested in the life of Christ are to reappear in the life of the worker for God.

When we understand this there will be no need to use external methods to coerce and manipulate people into accepting Christ.  When self is dead, Christ's life will shine through us and people will be drawn to Him because of the genuine love and care they witness in us. The Holy Spirit dwelling in us will produce the fruit of the Spirit that people will be drawn to. love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance and not one of these will be missing. They will see the love we have for one another and they will know that we are God's true witnesses. This will happen only as we spend time each day beholding the beautiful life and character of Christ.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2019, 05:59:52 AM »
Amen dear sister! This is the object of life, to love God and those for whom He suffered and died. And this we will do if we spend time with Jesus each morning beholding His loveliness. We need to die daily or we will experience what the disciples did before the cross. We just receive fresh supplies of grace daily that we remember we are His and who He is.

Peter had expressed the faith of the twelve. Yet the disciples were still far from understanding Christ's mission. The opposition and misrepresentation of the priests and rulers, while it could not turn them away from Christ, still caused them great perplexity. They did not see their way clearly. The influence of their early training, the teaching of the rabbis, the power of tradition, still intercepted their view of truth. From time to time precious rays of light from Jesus shone upon them, yet often they were like men groping among shadows. But on this day, before they were brought face to face with the great trial of their faith, the Holy Spirit rested upon them in power. For a little time their eyes were turned away from "the things which are seen," to behold "the things which are not seen." 2 Corinthians 4:18. Beneath the guise of humanity they discerned the glory of the Son of God. 

The Spirit rested on them with power. This is our only hope that we be filled with the Holy Spirit. Then we wil keep the commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus. If we allow the mind to wander away from Jesus, then we shall be as the disciples that night long ago when they deserted the Son of God. Did Peter know Jesus to be the Son of God? Yes, but that night after being re-converted in the upper room, he lost his hold on Jesus and denied Him with cursing. O how weak is the carnal heart of man.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2019, 06:43:31 PM »
"It was to Peter a bitter lesson, and one which he learned but slowly, that the path of Christ on earth lay through agony and humiliation. The disciple shrank from fellowship with his Lord in suffering. But in the heat of the furnace fire he was to learn its blessing. Long afterward, when his active form was bowed with the burden of years and labors, he wrote,

"Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: but rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."
1 Peter 4:12, 13. 
{DA 416.2}

I have not met anyone during my earthly journey thus far that stated they were looking forward to suffering of any kind or for any reason. But the apostle Paul wrote these encouraging words to show what a privilege it is, if and when we are called upon to suffer for the cause of the Great Gospel Message...  

Romans 5:1-5 "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.[/u][/color]

Dorine

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2019, 04:22:19 AM »
"Jesus did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost. He left the heavenly courts for a life of reproach and insult, and a death of shame. He who was rich in heaven's priceless treasure, became poor, that through His poverty we might be rich. We are to follow in the path He trod."  {DA 416.3} 

What a blessing it is to know Jesus and walk with Him each day. We are learning to live the life He lived. I was impressed with the statement that He became poor so that through His poverty we might be rich. Added to that is the fact that we are to follow in the path He trod. Just like the disciples He is preparing us day by day through the little trials in preparation for the greater ones that are to come. Souls are suffering from want of Christ even though they do not know it. We are the means by which Christ uses to bring hope to the hearts of hurting and lost souls. Are we willing to follow in His footsteps? We each have a different journey but we all have the same Saviour and the same truth to live.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

As we contemplate the way Christ foretold the disciples of what was to come upon Him in His suffering and death, and yet how the disciples tried not to believe it would happen, we can see a lesson of the importance of taking God at His word and trusting Him who knows the end from the beginning. Jesus did not tell them about His sufferings because He wanted to overwhelm them with despair, but He shared with them the truth of His sacrifice so that they might be prepared for what was coming. Jesus is doing the same with us day by day. He reveals things of the future to us about the close of probation, the time of trouble, and the seven last plagues in His word not as a means of discouragement, but that our faith might be anchored in Him when what He foretold does come to pass. Let us not yield the temptation to be gloomy or sorrowful about the future when we have the promise that Jesus will be with us even to the end!

"They were even now journeying along the shores of the Sea of Galilee toward the city where all their hopes were to be crushed. They dared not remonstrate with Christ, but they talked together in low, sorrowful tones in regard to what the future would be. Even amid their questionings they clung to the thought that some unforeseen circumstance might avert the doom which seemed to await their Lord. Thus they sorrowed and doubted, hoped and feared, for six long, gloomy days." {The Desire of Ages, page 417, paragraph 2}

What a different experience the disciples could have had if they had heard His words, believed them to be true, and asked Jesus how they could pray with Him and how they could be in a spiritual state of surrendered, abiding trust to help them weather the trial. God would have us realize our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing, and when we do trust Him--no matter what He reveals to us about our future--we can know that it will be the way that we would choose if we could see the end from the beginning like our loving God does. We can be so thankful that Jesus DID go to the cross, and did die for our sins so we can find pardon and peace with God as we surrender the whole heart to Him. Let us not be moved from our mission in any way as we look upon Jesus continually! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
"The church is built upon Christ as its foundation; it is to obey Christ as its head. It is not to depend upon man, or be controlled by man. Many claim that a position of trust in the church gives them authority to dictate what other men shall believe and what they shall do. This claim God does not sanction. The Saviour declares, "All ye are brethren." All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error. Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency."

What wonderful counsel this is!!  Let us pray as never before for our Pastor's , Conference Presidents, Union & Division Presidents, and of course our General Conference President and Staff.  They surely carry heavy responsibilities to work for and promote unity in our World Wide Church while maintaining the standards given to us through Scripture & The Spirit of Prophecy. As you know our enemy, Satan, is hard at work but if we keep our eyes turned upon Jesus and are willing to Trust & Obey, WE WILL BE READY TO MEET JESUS. 

Dorine

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2019, 06:43:00 AM »
.....Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame.  {DA 410.2}
[/color][/size][/color][/size]Oh that I may behold His glory and unfailing love for me/us as I contemplate what Jesus suffered and gave up to rescue me/us. As we accept this ultimate gift this new day we can be assured that His love will carry us through all the unknowns as this day unfolds. He is our precious Saviour who is beyond our understanding but we know it's true because of what He has done and is doing in each of our lives. That's one reason why personal testimonies are so important. They uplift, encourage and strengthen each other's faith in Jesus. If our faith is weak we can pray; I believe, help thou my unbelief. [/color]

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

What a blessed experience we may gain in Christ as we surrender completely to Him and look beyond outward appearances to the never-failing word of God as our safety and assurance in all the trials that will befall us before Jesus returns!

I am so thankful that God looks not on the outward appearance, but on the hearts that He knew would experience the transforming agency of His word by the Holy Spirit!

"How feeble the church appeared when Christ spoke these words! There was only a handful of believers, against whom all the power of demons and evil men would be directed; yet the followers of Christ were not to fear. Built upon the Rock of their strength, they could not be overthrown."  {The Desire of Ages, page 413, paragraph 3}

We do not need to fear for the future as we remember how God has led and what He has taught us. Let us not look at the appearances and trials that face the church, but at the never-failing word of God that gives clear conviction of what is true--that God will have a people who are described in these words as His church:

"To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne" (Revelation 3:21). We may be tempted to look at "how things seem" in the church, but let us keep our eyes on Christ and individually choose to respond the Savior's invitation to overcome in His strength. Then our witness will encourage others, and we can be experiencing the unity for which Christ prayed in John 17 as our hearts are fully united to the heart of Christ, for just in proportion as we approach Christ will we approach one another.

Beacon

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2019, 05:13:22 PM »
"The church is built upon Christ as its foundation; it is to obey Christ as its head. It is not to depend upon man, or be controlled by man. Many claim that a position of trust in the church gives them authority to dictate what other men shall believe and what they shall do. This claim God does not sanction. The Saviour declares, "All ye are brethren." All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error. Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency."

"Jesus did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost. He left the heavenly courts for a life of reproach and insult, and a death of shame. He who was rich in heaven's priceless treasure, became poor, that through His poverty we might be rich. We are to follow in the path He trod."

Luke 9:23-24 says "And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it." 

Before the Crown, comes a Living Commitment to bear the Cross through a daily surrender to Jesus. As we approach the beginning of a brand new year what a great time to renew our commitment to follow Jesus & Only Jesus every day so that through the power of the Holy Spirit we can be a Bright Beacon of Light to those who are looking and searching for a  " Meaningful " - Purpose Filled Life which will ultimately lead to Life Everlasting!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2019, 01:31:46 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! What a blessing we have in Jesus!!

What if you cannot see your way clearly? Does God want to unfold His plan and path for you as it is in Jesus? Absolutely! As we learn day by day to spend a "thoughtful hour" upon the life of Christ, Jesus will speak His mysteries to us personally, and our hearts will be warmed, refreshed and encouraged to experience His will for our lives! Jesus has good things in store for us, and the greatest gift He can give us is measured according to our strength and capacity of character. The more we know of God the more intense our happiness will become, so may you enjoy spending time with Jesus and then reflecting the light of His love to others!!

"Peter had expressed the faith of the twelve. Yet the disciples were still far from understanding Christ's mission. The opposition and misrepresentation of the priests and rulers, while it could not turn them away from Christ, still caused them great perplexity. They did not see their way clearly. The influence of their early training, the teaching of the rabbis, the power of tradition, still intercepted their view of truth. From time to time precious rays of light from Jesus shone upon them, yet often they were like men groping among shadows. But on this day, before they were brought face to face with the great trial of their faith, the Holy Spirit rested upon them in power. For a little time their eyes were turned away from 'the things which are seen,' to behold 'the things which are not seen.' 2 Corinthians 4:18. Beneath the guise of humanity they discerned the glory of the Son of God."  {The Desire of Ages, page 412, paragraph 1} 

As Jesus points us to things of eternity, we begin to see the value that God places on each of us in the light of Calvary's cross. Every soul is as fully known to Jesus as if there were no other soul upon this planet; yet His love is so strong and deep that He has minute plans for you today that you can let Him unfold as you behold the loveliness of Jesus' character and experience the blessing of ongoing union and communion with Christ by a continual surrender of your will to Him. In the fruit of such fellowship in the divine nature by receiving and appropriating His promises to your life you will experience all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, gladly obeying the law of God to the extent that He has revealed it to you in Christ! Hallelujah!

I am so happy today to get to travel to the Pewee Valley Seventh-day Adventist Church in Pewee Valley, Kentucky to be able to fellowship with many other young people who are on the pre-conference Generation of Youth for Christ mission. Thank you for praying that the Holy Spirit will be poured out on all those to whom the Lord gives us to share His grace!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2019, 07:48:25 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon! Let us pray that God's will be done today.

Today's lesson is very pointed. Selfishness is sin, and like the Bereans we are to not to depend upon humanity, but upon God. We read that the disciples of Jesus had great difficulty in moving past what they had been taught in the church, in their homes, and the traditions of their society which was a theocracy in apostasy.

Do we believe we who have been in the church many years, and some since birth are not influenced by false doctrine? Are we different than Israel? We need to take to heart what we have read this morning. Especially when we read what Jesus has said about the last of the seven churches in Revelation.

3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 

Do we see our continual need of Jesus in order to do any good thing? If not, then the message given to the last of the seven churches applies to us individually and to the church as a whole. Do we understand that the greatest honor and the most weighty trust God has given to us is to partake in the sufferings of Christ? Peter did not understand. None of the disciples did as we read today. They had a lot to learn, and so it is today.

Peter loved his Lord; but Jesus did not commend him for thus manifesting the desire to shield Him from suffering. Peter's words were not such as would be a help and solace to Jesus in the great trial before Him. They were not in harmony with God's purpose of grace toward a lost world, nor with the lesson of self-sacrifice that Jesus had come to teach by His own example. Peter did not desire to see the cross in the work of Christ. The impression which his words would make was directly opposed to that which Christ desired to make on the minds of His followers, and the Saviour was moved to utter one of the sternest rebukes that ever fell from His lips: "Get thee behind Me, Satan: thou art an offense unto Me: for thou savorest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men."

God does not rebuke sin and leave the sinner without hope. When He speaks to His church today, reproving us for being poor, blind, and naked, He also encourages us by telling us what we must do in order to be transformed from selfishness to holiness. "I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." Rev. 3:18-21.

Gold tried in the fire is faith, saving faith that shines as bright as gold that has been purified by fire. Yes, great trials are God's ordained method to purify our hearts and minds. Are we ready to exclaim that we will glory in tribulations because they work for our good and God's glory as we abide in Christ? If not, then we misunderstand the mission of Christ to this world. God loves us and wants us to experience love, joy, and peace in this world.......today. It is by self surrender that this happens. But, we cannot surrender all we have and all we are until we trust God fully. In order to trust Him, we need to know Him. We need to spend time with Him, reading of His power and love. It is by grace we are saved, grace transforms sinners into saints. Grace surrounds us, but it does no good unless we see it and allow it into the heart. When we do so, then we have purchased the "white raiment" offered to us at such great expense. Yes, the character of our God is not only imputed to repented sinners, but is imparted also. All of the fruits of the Spirit are imparted at conversion, not one is missing.

The last gift offered to us is that which will open blind eyes, the Holy Spirit. He opens our eyes to clearly see the truth about us and our God. He reveals to us that we are evil by nature and can do no good thing until He takes possession of the heart. Though our sins be as scarlet, if we will love Jesus with the whole heart, then our sins will be washed clean, as white as snow. The greatest of all miracles!

As a new year approaches, let us consider taking up Jesus on His offer of gold tried by fire, white raiment, and eye salve. Why not? The love joy and peace that Jesus offers to us it's quite different from what we see in the world today. And not only will we have great joy, so will our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He suffered and died that we might be transformed into His image.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2020, 05:21:00 AM »
Why is it that so many in the church are unable to understand truth when we share it? Because they have allowed error into their minds. What have they been reading? Who have they been listening to? Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. It is the Holy Spirit that presents the truth to the mind. If not converted, it is hard to understand spiritual things. And when false doctrines are taught in the church it makes it hard to teach the truth.

Peter had expressed the faith of the twelve. Yet the disciples were still far from understanding Christ's mission. The opposition and misrepresentation of the priests and rulers, while it could not turn them away from Christ, still caused them great perplexity. They did not see their way clearly. The influence of their early training, the teaching of the rabbis, the power of tradition, still intercepted their view of truth. From time to time precious rays of light from Jesus shone upon them, yet often they were like men groping among shadows. But on this day, before they were brought face to face with the great trial of their faith, the Holy Spirit rested upon them in power. For a little time their eyes were turned away from "the things which are seen," to behold "the things which are not seen." 2 Corinthians 4:18. Beneath the guise of humanity they discerned the glory of the Son of God. 

Dorine

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2020, 05:39:27 AM »
Jesus did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost. He left the heavenly courts for a life of reproach and insult, and a death of shame. He who was rich in heaven's priceless treasure, became poor, that through His poverty we might be rich. We are to follow in the path He trod.  {DA 416.3}      

Love for souls for whom Christ died means crucifixion of self. He who is a child of God should henceforth look upon himself as a link in the chain let down to save the world, one with Christ in His plan of mercy, going forth with Him to seek and save the lost. The Christian is ever to realize that he has consecrated himself to God, and that in character he is to reveal Christ to the world. The self-sacrifice, the sympathy, the love, manifested in the life of Christ are to reappear in the life of the worker for God.  {DA 417.1}

Here we read what it means to be called Christian; a follower of Christ. It's a high calling. One in which it is impossible to attain in our own strength. It is a free gift from God as we come humbly before Him surrendering ourselves completely to Him. What joy, what peace is ours when we finally relinquish self to the control of the One who gave His life for us. The works that we do are really the works of Jesus because He dwells within us through the Holy Spirit. There is no freedom like the freedom from the guilt of sin. Praise God for His never failing love.

Beacon

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »
"The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending.  The path from the manger to Calvary was all before His eyes. He knew the anguish that would come upon Him. He knew it all, and yet He said,

"Lo, I come: in the volume of the Book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:7, 8.
(DA 410.1)

Sometimes we're tempted to feel like we're "ALL ALONE"  and that no one understands what we're going through. The words in this chapter have reinforced my mind once again that WE ARE NEVER ALONE and that our Wonderful Compassionate Jesus, having walked the face of this earth on our behalf understands EVERY TRIAL, EVERY SITUATION, EVERY WEAKNESS , of our human existence  and has given us wonderful promises to cling to.

"Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought. By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God. Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame."

Jesus says to us today...."Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."  Isaiah 41:10 King James Version (KJV) THANK YOU JESUS!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2020, 10:44:50 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard, Sister Dorine, and Brother Beacon!!

Trials mean benefit, and difficulties in this life are but opportunities for us to learn as true disciples if we are willing to be made willing. May we yield the whole heart to Jesus so He can purify it from all iniquity and imbue us with all of the fruits of His Spirit so not one is missing. Though we will be tempted to try to "do life" our way, the best path--though it often is filled with trial and suffering--is the one that Jesus has planned for us. Learn of Him, and let Him lead you day by day.

"It was to Peter a bitter lesson, and one which he learned but slowly, that the path of Christ on earth lay through agony and humiliation. The disciple shrank from fellowship with his Lord in suffering. But in the heat of the furnace fire he was to learn its blessing. Long afterward, when his active form was bowed with the burden of years and labors, he wrote, 'Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: but rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.' 1 Peter 4:12, 13." {The Desire of Ages, page 416, paragraph 2} 

May we gladly enter into the fellowship of Christ that involves suffering knowing that in the trials we face we may experience a sweet intimacy of understanding the love He has for us as His love flows out through us to others!

Dorine

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2020, 04:43:55 AM »
   "The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending. Even before He took humanity upon Him, He saw the whole length of the path He must travel in order to save that which was lost. Every pang that rent His heart, every insult that was heaped upon His head, every privation that He was called to endure, was open to His view before He laid aside His crown and royal robe, and stepped down from the throne, to clothe His divinity with humanity. The path from the manger to Calvary was all before His eyes. He knew the anguish that would come upon Him. He knew it all, and yet He said, "Lo, I come: in the volume of the Book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:7, 8.      

Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought. By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God. Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame." 

What a description of love, mercy and compassion is expressed in these few words. Before coming to this world He already knew what was before Him and He came anyway. Why? because He loves us that much and wants all who will come to Him to spend eternity with Him. Let's not keep this truth to ourselves. The world needs to hear and know our Jesus of the bible. Many will not care to listen. Many have their own master they follow but our work is to plant and the Holy Spirit will nurture and bring to fruit the harvest.

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2020, 06:04:38 AM »
"Jesus did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost. He left the heavenly courts for a life of reproach and insult, and a death of shame. He who was rich in heaven's priceless treasure, became poor, that through His poverty we might be rich. We are to follow in the path He trod."

Luke 9:23-24 says...."And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it."

Love for souls for whom Christ died means the crucifixion of self

Do " We " --- You & I have a burden for lost souls?  If not - Why not?

Our prayer every morning should be..." Lord lay some soul upon my heart and love that soul through me, and may I humble do my part to win that soul for Thee." Let us renew our commitment to Jesus right now and take up our cross thereby showing our Love for Jesus and Our Follow man.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2020, 06:12:43 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!

Love equals death. Really? Yes, true love, the love of Christ, leads to death to selfishness and sin. Love as it is seen in Christ led Him to the cross. When we have His love in our hearts abiding in us by a complete surrender to Him, His love will lead us to go anywhere or do anything that He calls us to do--for His sake and the saving of souls. Let us realize that this love is actually life eternal, though it means death to our fallen nature, and it is so essential that we look unto Jesus constantly--not to self, but to Him and His grace to make us like Him!

"Love for souls for whom Christ died means crucifixion of self. He who is a child of God should henceforth look upon himself as a link in the chain let down to save the world, one with Christ in His plan of mercy, going forth with Him to seek and save the lost. The Christian is ever to realize that he has consecrated himself to God, and that in character he is to reveal Christ to the world. The self-sacrifice, the sympathy, the love, manifested in the life of Christ are to reappear in the life of the worker for God."  {The Desire of Ages, page 417, paragraph 1} 

Let us simply behold Jesus and allow Him to reveal Himself through us! This miracle is what the world needs to see!!