Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--33--Who Are My Brethren?  (Read 15053 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--33--Who Are My Brethren?
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2019, 06:53:13 PM »
"Light comes to the soul through God’s word, through His servants, or by the direct agency of His Spirit; but when one ray of light is disregarded, there is a partial benumbing of the spiritual perceptions, and the second revealing of light is less clearly discerned. So the darkness increases, until it is night in the soul.

The importance of a DAILY walk with Jesus can not be over emphasized, for when we neglect to spend time with Him through His Word, In Prayer, and in Sharing with others the awesome story of Redeeming Love it is possible that our light may go out. We need to reinforce our commitment to spend at least a "Thoughtful Hour with Jesus, reflecting on His Great Love and Sacrifice on our behalf every day. Any human love relationship will not last unless reinforced on a regular basis---So then how much more true it is for a meaningful strong relationship with our Lord.     

"Thus it had been with these Jewish leaders. They were convinced that a divine power attended Christ, but in order to resist the truth, they attributed the work of the Holy Spirit to Satan. In doing this they deliberately chose deception; they yielded themselves to Satan, and henceforth they were controlled by his power."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2019, 06:14:00 AM »
When Jesus is abiding in the heart, we are impregnable to the assaults of Satan to cause us to separate from Jesus. We may suffer and find difficult trials, but these can bring us even closer to Christ when we are realize Jesus' loveliness of character and receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

"When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end." {The Desire of Ages, page 324, paragraph 1}   

May we have that vital union and communion with Christ by a living faith surrender today and each movement! Look upon Christ no matter how great the struggles you are going through!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2019, 07:48:52 AM »
Christ loves the heavenly beings that surround His throne; but what shall account for the great love wherewith He has loved us? We cannot understand it, but we can know it true in our own experience. And if we do hold the relation of kinship to Him, with what tenderness should we regard those who are brethren and sisters of our Lord! Should we not be quick to recognize the claims of our divine relationship? Adopted into the family of God, should we not honor our Father and our kindred?

Only a converted heart can love and honor our heavenly Father and our brethren. When we understand and accept what Jesus has done for us, self will be laid aside and we will reach out in godly love for the happiness and well being of all. Christ will then work through us for the salvation of lost souls. What a partnership God has given to those who daily abide in Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2019, 03:51:14 AM »
Happy Sabbath to you all! Praise the Lord for the love that He has for us! His love transcends knowledge, and yet He invites us to come and behold Him, that we may become like the One who gave all to save us!

"Christ loves the heavenly beings that surround His throne; but what shall account for the great love wherewith He has loved us? We cannot understand it, but we can know it true in our own experience. And if we do hold the relation of kinship to Him, with what tenderness should we regard those who are brethren and sisters of our Lord! Should we not be quick to recognize the claims of our divine relationship? Adopted into the family of God, should we not honor our Father and our kindred?" {The Desire of Ages, page 327, paragraph 4}

As we gain a personal experience in the joy of walking in complete surrender to Jesus, we find even greater love that flows back to God and to our sisters and brothers in Christ!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2019, 05:20:41 AM »
"We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end."

The Bible says in Joshua 24:15 "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Jesus invites us to come as it says in His Word:   Revelation 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."

Jesus longs for us to choose Him -- He has done all He could to make provision for our salvation -- I pray that on this Holy Sabbath Day we will be willing to say " Thank You Jesus " and renew our commitment to Him.

Dorine

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2019, 07:50:48 AM »
"When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end."

What great news! Here we are told our true condition. The only way to know this is if we are studying for ourselves because we do not hear this from the pulpit. So many are wandering around in blissful confusion and think all is ok with them and God. Yet they are restless and unsatisfied. This paragraph is powerful and teaches us how to connect with God and stay connected. God's word has the answers to all our longings if we will just take the time to spend with God each day.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »
When Ellen White first heard the gospel truth come from human lips, she was so very happy. So it is today to see these two Seventh-day Adventists reveal to us such important truths.

Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon shared the same thing.

It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end."

Peter walked on water when he had his eyes on  Jesus. When he neglected to keep his mind on Christ, he fell from grace. We indeed do need Jesus all of the time if we are to resist the smallest temptation to sin. We have no power to resist self and sin unless we are abiding  in Christ and living for Christ.

Does anyone think they can walk on water without being vitally connected to Christ? Why do we sin when God has provided a remedy for the sin sick soul? Because we neglect to cling to Christ with all of our strength. Oh how we need Jesus....all of the time. He does not leave us when we sin, but neither is He in possession of the heart. When we sin, we are separated from Him. He then stands at the door of the heart, knocking, wanting in.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 03:13:55 AM »
Today Christ offers us His comfort in any life situation we find ourselves. We may be misunderstood by those around us, but Christ found comfort where we also may find it: in union and communion with the Father. Out in nature, and in the quiet times He gives us morning by morning, we may learn precious lessons of trust and love that equip us for the day's duties, no matter how stern or severe they may seem. Christ is a wellspring to refresh us as our Brother and Friend, our Savior and closest Lover.

"Those who are called to suffer for Christ's sake, who have to endure misapprehension and distrust, even in their own home, may find comfort in the thought that Jesus has endured the same. He is moved with compassion for them. He bids them find companionship in Him, and relief where He found it, in communion with the Father." {The Desire of Ages, page 327, paragraph 1}

May we enjoy the blessing of fellowship with Christ today that we may be witnesses that manifest His true character: affectionate obedience to all of the ten commandments with the supernatural expression of all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! This is the true joy of the Christian life and is one that can only be experienced as by grace through faith a continual surrender of all we have and are is offered up to Christ moment-by-moment!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 06:11:28 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. We have entered a time when there shall be much suffering. The world is fearful today. Both disease and financial loss have touched most in the world. There is love, joy, and peace in Christ. But, there is no peace unless we are fully surrendered to Christ. This will not happen until one knows God intimately and can trust Him with all they have and all they are. Deceptions of all kinds have entered into the church. The following will help all who want to know the truth and follow Christ.

When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end. 

Notice, conversion is not just a daily matter, but we must surrender ourselves to Christ "moment by moment." If let go, if we let our minds wander away from Christ, then like Moses, we shall strike the Rock and misrepresent our God. It is a narrow road to heaven, far too many have tried to make is easy. All may be saved if they will learn of God, see His grace daily, and surrender their will to Him. Love, joy, and peace may be ours today in the middle of the storm.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
"Those who are called to suffer for Christ's sake, who have to endure misapprehension and distrust, even in their own home, may find comfort in the thought that Jesus has endured the same. He is moved with compassion for them. He bids them find companionship in Him, and relief where He found it, in communion with the Father.

Some who step out in faith and accept bible truth are often treated with ridicule and contempt by their family and friends. Jesus understands and shows that we too can find relief in communion with the Father just as He did. As new church members come into our midst we do not know the difficulties they may be facing. It's very important that our influence is of a welcoming, friendly and uplifting nature. Jesus found such a welcome in the home of Lazarus and his family. What do people hear and see in our homes? Do our words lift up Jesus or do they have a negative affect on souls that are already feeling discouraged and confused. We have a constant influence on others that will either bring them into or turn them away from the warmth of Jesus' love.

Beacon

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2020, 03:26:23 PM »
"We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome.

Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end."

There is "NO" middle ground!! 

Jesus said....
"You are either for me OR against me."  Matthew 6:24" No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and worldly fame & money at the same time.

I encourage you to take the time to read the words of the hymn -- ALL TO JESUS I SURRENDER

Beacon

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2020, 07:09:43 PM »
"It is not God that blinds the eyes of men or hardens their hearts. He sends them light to correct their errors, and to lead them in safe paths; it is by the rejection of this light that the eyes are blinded and the heart hardened. Often the process is gradual, and almost imperceptible. Light comes to the soul through God's word, through His servants, or by the direct agency of His Spirit; but when one ray of light is disregarded, there is a partial benumbing of the spiritual perceptions, and the second revealing of light is less clearly discerned."

"So the darkness increases, until it is night in the soul."

In a world that is so BUSY with everything, except making sure that our salvation is secure in Jesus, we are at high risk of being too BUSY - To DISTRACTED by things that are only going to pass away and CREEPING COMPRISE takes hold of our souls and we don't even realize that we have put Jesus out of the CENTER OF OUR LIVES. Re-read paragraph 1 in this post again. Is this not what happened to Demas? The Apostle Paul gave us an example when he  wrote in....

"2 Timothy 4:10 "For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica;"

Being too "BUSY" with the things of this world could mean ( "Being Under Satan's Yoke" ) Who has 1st Place in your life? Jesus or Satan?

Dorine

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2020, 06:02:34 AM »
"Those who accept Christ as their personal Saviour are not left as orphans, to bear the trials of life alone. He receives them as members of the heavenly family; He bids them call His Father their Father. They are His "little ones," dear to the heart of God, bound to Him by the most tender and abiding ties. He has toward them an exceeding tenderness, as far surpassing what our father or mother has felt toward us in our helplessness as the divine is above the human."

These are the most heart warming precious words to hold on to. If we are that special to the heart of God then how important it is for us to reverence Him and to love and care for our brethren. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2020, 07:48:44 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

Many feel lonely, but the only 100% cure for loneliness in EVERY SITUATION is found through Christ! He alone knows you better than ANYONE who has ever lived, for He designed your DNA, knows what you are thinking, knows every experience you have ever gone through, knows your eternal future (like what you will be doing in 500 trillion years from now in God's plan in eternity) and is the ONLY ONE who can safely guide you on a moment-by-moment basis. Just like our parents who "see themselves" in us, God sees His image in you and, though it has been marred by sin, has such a genius way of working ALL YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES OUT FOR ETERNAL GOOD that He is able to save you COMPLETELY from every sin that has ever defiled your life--whether it came from your genetics, your environmental influences, our your own rebellious will (and there is not an ounce of condemnation in God's heart towards you in the entire experience of redemption!!!!). What a miracle takes place when we stop mourning and grieving over the thorns of our past (or even our present perception of what is happening) and we LOOK CONSTANTLY to Jesus Christ and Him crucified! As we behold Jesus in His infinite loveliness, we see our real value in Him and come to experience the power of the gospel of His grace whereby our hearts are transformed from selfishness to holiness, from fear to love, and from doubt to certainly in the reality that JESUS IS COMING IN POWER AND GREAT GLORY and He is inviting us to be with Him forever!! What wondrous love is this! Turn ENTIRELY to Christ and yield your entire heart to Him, and He will work in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure! As He does, He blots out your sins as you freely confess them and forsake them by His power, and He imbues you with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing! Simultaneously at conversion comes the miraculous desire and power to do God's will as revealed in the Ten Commandments, and you will gladly obey all the light that shines upon you as you let God write the story in your life to His eternal glory!

Closer than father, mother, brother, friend, or lover is the Lord our Saviour. "Fear not," He says, "for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine." "Since thou wast precious in My sight, thou hast been honorable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life." Isaiah 43:1, 4.

Let us allow God to be God in our lives today. We don't even know how to go out or to come in, except He guides us. As we acknowledge Him in all of our ways, He will direct our steps!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2020, 11:24:19 AM »
Amen, amen, and amen! Such beautiful truths each of you have shared! What a God we serve!

It is painful to see that he was misunderstood even by His family.

With their short measuring line they could not fathom the mission which He came to fulfill, and therefore could not sympathize with Him in His trials. Their coarse, unappreciative words showed that they had no true perception of His character, and did not discern that the divine blended with the human. They often saw Him full of grief; but instead of comforting Him, their spirit and words only wounded His heart. His sensitive nature was tortured, His motives were misunderstood, His work was uncomprehended. 

His sensitive nature was tortured.  :( So it was for His whole life walking upon this dark spot in the universe. Let us cause Him to smile as we bear witness to His true character.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2020, 05:20:25 AM »
Amen!! This one day let us connect with Christ and not let go. We must moment by moment cling to Christ in order to resist the temptation to sin. We need not reject Christ to lose our connection,  it can happen by neglecting to cling to Him by letting our mind wander away from Him.

When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end.

Sadly, many who ought to know better are still resisting this truth and believe the road to heaven is much wider than it is. They believe they can sin a known sin and retain salvation. They think that justification is a progressing process by which when we sin a known sin we still have Jesus in the heart when in fact the Holy Spirit is not in the heart, but speaking to the mind wanting back in. God allows for sin, but does not forgive it until the heart is fully surrendered and the Spirit has possession of both heart and mind. God wants the whole heart, not part of it. If we sin, it is because we have neglected to maintain our connection with Christ. But, He does not leave us. No, He is right there if we have not grieved the Holy Spirit so that we cannot hear His still small voice. Where is Jesus when we sin a known sin, by our side pleading for entrance. He is our Advocate before the Father pleading His blood that we be given more time. Soon, that opportunity will close for the whole world. Today, it closes for many who have hardened the heart so that it cannot be transformed.

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." 1 John 2:1. God does not excuse sin, but as long as our probation remains open, He will forgive it if we come to true repentance. Thus, we do see a progressive work of both learning of Him and the plan of salvation and growing in our character so that we can resist the temptation to sin. Moses sinned at the end of his life which came not naturally but because he sinned. God did not excuse his sin, but forgave him his sin when he repented. His repentance was quick and deep. I believe the pain he suffered because he had hurt God was so horrible that he would never sin again. God could not translate him because it would have been misunderstood by the apostate nation. But, he raised Moses from the grave and took him to the real promised land. 

We ought not treat our sins lightly thinking God excuses them, as many do. We ought to grieve over what they do to our Lord and Savior. Godly sorrow over them will lead to a repentance not to be repented of.

Dorine

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2020, 06:02:07 AM »
There were many in Christ's day, as there are today, over whom the control of Satan for the time seemed broken; through the grace of God they were set free from the evil spirits that had held dominion over the soul. They rejoiced in the love of God; but, like the stony-ground hearers of the parable, they did not abide in His love. They did not surrender themselves to God daily, that Christ might dwell in the heart; and when the evil spirit returned, with "seven other spirits more wicked than himself," they were wholly dominated by the power of evil.

The repetition of these readings have changed my understanding of the importance of abiding in Christ moment by moment. When we fall in some area of our lives it's because we have taken our eyes off Jesus. The battle for my soul is very real and without Jesus in my life I am vulnerable to the attacks of Satan and I'm no match for Him. May we walk humbly with the Lord today. He will not allow any temptation come to us beyond what we can bear for He has given us a way of escape.

Beacon

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2020, 07:43:01 AM »
"Light comes to the soul through God's word, through His servants, or by the direct agency of His Spirit; but when one ray of light is disregarded, there is a partial benumbing of the spiritual perceptions, and the second revealing of light is less clearly discerned.   "So the darkness increases, until it is night in the soul."

In a world that is so BUSY with everything, except making sure that our salvation is secure in Jesus, we are at high risk of being too BUSY - To DISTRACTED by things that are only going to pass away and CREEPING COMPRISE takes hold of our souls and we don't even realize that we have put Jesus out of the CENTER OF OUR LIVES. Re-read paragraph 1 in this post again. Is this not what happened to Demas? The Apostle Paul gave us an example when he  wrote in....

"2 Timothy 4:10 "For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica;"

Being too "BUSY" with the things of this world could mean ( "Being Under Satan's Yoke" ) Who has 1st Place in your life? Jesus or Satan?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2020, 07:49:05 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!

A complete surrender is the key to abiding in Christ. The motivation for the surrender is beholding His loveliness of character so clearly revealed at Calvary!

"When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end." {The Desire of Ages, page 324, paragraph 1}

God can keep the weakest soul who yields fully to Him. We need not be discouraged in the battle of life, for we may have the Victor, Christ Himself, living in our hearts by the Holy Spirit! Cooperation with Christ always means victory as revealed in the life filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit so not one is missing! Then we may gladly walk in the path of obedience (freedom defined) that God has shown us in the Ten Commandments and as exemplified in the life of Jesus! He is soon to return and promises to keep us moment by moment! "I the Lord do keep it; I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day" (Isaiah 27:3).

Beacon

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2020, 05:55:42 AM »
"The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one.."

"We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place.

"The "only" defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness."