Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--34--The Invitation  (Read 16027 times)

Dorine and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--34--The Invitation
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 05:56:24 AM »
Amen, Jim! Jesus has a way of working all things together for good to them that love Him--what may seem a tangle to us is really an opportunity for God to reveal His supernatural grace to uplift, restore, and transform vile sinners into holy saints who, though still retaining a fallen nature at conversion, will become partakers of the divine nature with a new heart and a new mind. When we have all of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives without one missing, it is evident that Christ is abiding in us, and we are living by faith--and it is marvelous what He can do with the weakest of the weak who cling to Jesus and behold His loveliness morning by morning, moment by moment!

In the heart of Christ, where reigned perfect harmony with God, there was perfect peace. He was never elated by applause, nor dejected by censure or disappointment. Amid the greatest opposition and the most cruel treatment, He was still of good courage. But many who profess to be His followers have an anxious, troubled heart, because they are afraid to trust themselves with God. They do not make a complete surrender to Him; for they shrink from the consequences that such a surrender may involve. Unless they do make this surrender, they cannot find peace. {The Desire of Ages, page 330, paragraph 3}
     It is the love of self that brings unrest. When we are born from above, the same mind will be in us that was in Jesus, the mind that led Him to humble Himself that we might be saved. Then we shall not be seeking the highest place. We shall desire to sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn of Him. We shall understand that the value of our work does not consist in making a show and noise in the world, and in being active and zealous in our own strength. The value of our work is in proportion to the impartation of the Holy Spirit. Trust in God brings holier qualities of mind, so that in patience we may possess our souls.  {The Desire of Ages, page 330, paragraph 4}

Let the Holy Spirit work through you today!

We do not need to be in a state of anxiety and unrest--no matter how trying and difficult our circumstances. If we are in continual communion with God and appreciate the character of Christ, we can remember that His presence kindles our faith and brings us joy and success--not a success measured by the world's standard, but the success of having a constant union with heaven so that He is able to train us for heaven! We are heading home soon, and Jesus loves us enough to allow the trials needed in our lives to give us "character building modules" so to speak--lessons that will help us grow to be like Him as long as we turn to Him and rest in Him by a full-heart surrender. Praise God for Jesus and who is is to us!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 06:42:14 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  What promises God has given to us! While we live in vile sinful bodies (sinful flesh), this is not an excuse to sin. We may be holy in mind and heart. We are to manifest the character of our God. While we can do this when converted, Jesus wants us to more fully reflect His character as you have pointed out. If we have perfection of Christian character when first converted, then how can we become more perfect?

When the Holy Spirit is invited into the heart, He brings with Him each one of the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing. But, this does not mean that we are ready for Gethsemane any more than Jesus was ready when He was ten years old. Yet, was He not perfect in character at age ten? Yes, He was. 

When we are first born of the Spirit, we have pure hearts, holy motives, and reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit. But, as we grow in our knowledge of God's character and in our experience, we will manifest more abundance of that same fruit. What does this mean? It means we shall be more patient, more loving, and able to withstand greater temptations. Thus, we are to glory in our trials knowing they will produce a more abundant life in Christ Jesus.

The Lord says, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee." Isaiah 26:3. Our lives may seem a tangle; but as we commit ourselves to the wise Master Worker, He will bring out the pattern of life and character that will be to His own glory. And that character which expresses the glory--character--of Christ will be received into the Paradise of God. A renovated race shall walk with Him in white, for they are worthy. 

If there ever was an encouraging promise this one I'm guessing will appeal to many today. Is your life a tangle? Then look to Christ and He will help you work through it even to His glory. We do indeed serve a wonderful God!

"They are worthy."  Oh, how many hate that statement!  Some innocently, and others because it condemns their wrong theology. None are good, but many are holy. A contradiction? No, not at all. Both are found in Scripture. Who is worthy? All have sinned and come short of the glory of God, but not all continue in sin, refusing to give glory to God.

Who is this "renovated race" that "shall walk with Him in white" that "are worthy"?

It is so very sad that so many will take the truth and use it to deny the truth so clearly set forth. When we see what appears to be a contraction in Scripture, it would behoove us to not turn a blind eye to it, but to pray, study, and listen to what others say about both truths. The Bible does not contradict Itself.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 05:26:46 AM »
Amen, Richard! The worthiness of the saved comes not from themselves, but from the grace of Christ which has wrought a transformation in their character. We are made worthy by the blood of the Lamb, whereby we overcome, in connection with the word of our testimony. See Revelation 12:11. I love how Jesus gives us a part--a small part, but it is essential. He lets us choose whether we will come to Him. The reading from Matthew 11:28-30 is one of my favorite Bible promises, for it shows us how eager Christ is to take us under His yoke and train us and redeem us for heaven:

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

This thought from The Desire of Ages, page 330, paragraph 4, really blessed me today in a wonderful way:

"It is the love of self that brings unrest. When we are born from above, the same mind will be in us that was in Jesus, the mind that led Him to humble Himself that we might be saved. Then we shall not be seeking the highest place. We shall desire to sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn of Him. We shall understand that the value of our work does not consist in making a show and noise in the world, and in being active and zealous in our own strength. The value of our work is in proportion to the impartation of the Holy Spirit. Trust in God brings holier qualities of mind, so that in patience we may possess our souls." 

Love of self is simply the natural outflow of our fallen nature when it is not kept under by the divine nature. When Adam and Eve were first created, they were in harmony with God, or we could say they were married to Him (see Jeremiah 3:14). But when they fell, the fallen nature placed them in harmony with Satan, their hearts became evil, and unless converted (remarried to Jesus), they would remain captives, "married" to Satan because they would possess his selfish traits of character with no hope of being set free from such tyrannical leadership. But praise God--God promised to redeem them, and spoke the first gospel promise! "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel" (Genesis 3:15). The enmity to Satan and sin is supernatural, and can only come when Christ has full possession of the heart as we surrender it fully to Him to make it new, pure, and holy.

The more time we spend with Jesus, the more we follow in His steps, the more valuable is our work, for "the value of our work is in proportion to the impartation for the Holy Spirit." Wow! This means it is not so much the AMOUNT of what we do for God, as to how we do it--by Him working through us--and we become more deeply imbued with His Spirit as we spend this daily "thoughtful hour" in beholding the loveliness of Jesus, contemplating His character. Then, the more He gives us to do, the more we will rejoice in Him, for "the heart that rests most fully upon Christ will be most earnest and active in labor for Him" {Steps to Christ, page 71, paragraph 1}.

I just love how God works in us by His love! May you experience the extreme joy and love that comes by surrendering fully to Jesus and remaining in continual union and communion with Him so that He reveals through you all of the fruits of the Spirit and a life in harmony with all of the law of God you know, for out of love, we will keep His commandments (see John 14:15)!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 06:05:21 AM »
Good morning RO family. What a glorious day it is here on the East coast. There is something about the sun that picks up the mood and reminds us that it is the Son of righteousness that has put it there for our benefit because He loves us and wants us to be happy. And this morning He is reaching out to each one with an irresistible invitation.

"Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Don't you just feel an over powering pull to answer that invitation with a big YES? I sure do and I am so thankful again that only today matters. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never be.

"The rest that Christ offers depends upon conditions, but these conditions are plainly specified. They are those with which all can comply. He tells us just how His rest is to be found."

He then gives the example of cattle being yoked together for effectual service as an illustration of the privilege for each one of us to take His yoke upon us so that we may be co-workers with Him. Wow what a thought. The next sentence I found very interesting......"The yoke that binds to service is the law of God."

Don't you get excited when you meditate on these words in this chapter and let them sink in and become a part of you. I want to be yoked to Christ today in all I think, plan and do.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 08:47:33 AM »
Amen and amen!  It is indeed "the love of self that brings unrest." And, Jesus has invited us to come to Him and He will take care of it all, as Pastor Sean has pointed out. And Sister Doreen, sees that there are indeed conditions to obtaining this rest. What a blessing to see my friends rejoicing in the truth each day!! As we feed upon Jesus, He is opening our minds to that well of "living water" that nourishes the soul. What refreshing this brings to our hearts!!

I was impressed with this paragraph:

The Elder Brother of our race is by the eternal throne. He looks upon every soul who is turning his face toward Him as the Saviour. He knows by experience what are the weaknesses of humanity, what are our wants, and where lies the strength of our temptations; for He was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. He is watching over you, trembling child of God. Are you tempted? He will deliver. Are you weak? He will strengthen. Are you ignorant? He will enlighten. Are you wounded? He will heal. The Lord "telleth the number of the stars;" and yet "He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Psalm 147:4, 3. "Come unto Me," is His invitation. Whatever your anxieties and trials, spread out your case before the Lord. Your spirit will be braced for endurance. The way will be opened for you to disentangle yourself from embarrassment and difficulty. The weaker and more helpless you know yourself to be, the stronger will you become in His strength. The heavier your burdens, the more blessed the rest in casting them upon the Burden Bearer. The rest that Christ offers depends upon conditions, but these conditions are plainly specified. They are those with which all can comply. He tells us just how His rest is to be found. 

The conditions are found throughout the Bible. Many tell us there are no conditions, just believe.  :(      That is a half truth, that makes it a deception. But, I am going to leave this out of my sharing this morning. Like Sister Doreen, it is a beautiful sunny day in the very depths of winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Spring is coming soon, and that reminds us of the nearness of the coming of Jesus. Then there shall be no more tears! How we long for that day!

But, there is purpose in our still being here today. If we look around us, we find that even in God's church are many who have no love, joy, and peace. How can that be when we have been entrusted with the truth that brings love, joy, and peace? We have an enemy who has planted these seeds of deception within the church. But, God is working for those who have not hardened their hearts beyond being reached. Jesus stands at the door of so many hearts today, knocking, calling all who are heavy laden and have no rest, "come unto me all ye that labor and I will give you rest!"

Well.....what shall we do? Just believe!  :(   It is a logical and rational thought that there is something we must do in order to "just believe."  Let us use a Biblical term that equates with "believe." Faith. We are justified in having eternal life when by faith we believe all that Jesus has promised us. But, if we have not the peace that passes all understanding, then we have not faith enough to be eternally saved. How is it that we can obtain this "saving faith"?  What does Scripture tell us? Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word." The Word was made flesh. The Word is a revelation of Jesus Christ. If we would spend a thoughtful hour a day beholding Jesus in the Bible, would not our faith in Christ grow? The Bible tells us so.

Then we are without excuse for not having faith enough to obtain love, joy, and peace. Jesus is the Manna which came down from heaven. If we want to have physical life, then we need to eat bread. If we want to have spiritual life, then we need to feed upon the Manna which Christ offers us today at an infinite price which He has already paid.

The church remains in a Laodicean condition which is a lost condition. But, Jesus explains that it is not a hopeless condition. After He plainly tells us we are lost, He reveals not only that we need to repent, but He tells us where He is and what we must do in order to sit with Him on His heavenly throne. What a God we love!!

To the seventh church in Revelation He speaks today:

3:14   And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 
 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 
 3:16   So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 
 3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 04:02:45 AM »
"Those who take Christ at His word, and surrender their souls to His keeping, their lives to His ordering, will find peace and quietude. Nothing of the world can make them sad when Jesus makes them glad by His presence. In perfect acquiescence there is perfect rest. The Lord says, 'Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.' Isaiah 26:3. Our lives may seem a tangle; but as we commit ourselves to the wise Master Worker, He will bring out the pattern of life and character that will be to His own glory. And that character which expresses the glory--character--of Christ will be received into the Paradise of God. A renovated race shall walk with Him in white, for they are worthy." {The Desire of Ages, page 331, paragraph 2}

Peace and quietude--how rare in our world today. But it is in each heart of Jesus' followers. We rest in His love. We trust His leading. We accept His invitation and begin the life eternal that draws us into an ever-deepening union and communion with Christ. We fear not for the future because we keep our eyes fixed upon Jesus Christ and Him crucified. By beholding Christ we are changed, and when the soul surrenders fully to Christ, He comes to indwell the heart and mind, for the will is given over to Him and we allow Him to so blend our thoughts and aims into conformity to His will that the expression of all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing becomes our continual experience in which we hate sin for its inherent baseness and what it has done to Jesus. We love Him who first loved us! Hallelujah!   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  Even amid great trial, we may have peace that passeth all understanding.

The yoke that binds to service is the law of God. The great law of love revealed in Eden, proclaimed upon Sinai, and in the new covenant written in the heart, is that which binds the human worker to the will of God. If we were left to follow our own inclinations, to go just where our will would lead us, we should fall into Satan's ranks and become possessors of his attributes. Therefore God confines us to His will, which is high, and noble, and elevating. He desires that we shall patiently and wisely take up the duties of service. The yoke of service Christ Himself has borne in humanity. He said, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:8. "I came down from heaven, not to do Mine own will, but the will of Him that sent Me." John 6:38. Love for God, zeal for His glory, and love for fallen humanity, brought Jesus to earth to suffer and to die. This was the controlling power of His life. This principle He bids us adopt. 

This is a different attitude towards the law than many teach. The law is a law of love. If we will give the heart to Jesus, He will write His law upon our hearts. Then we will delight to do His will. Then we will be His witnesses in this world that is soon to pass away!

Dorine

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 07:36:28 AM »
"The Elder Brother of our race is by the eternal throne. He looks upon every soul who is turning his face toward Him as the Saviour. He knows by experience what are the weaknesses of humanity, what are our wants, and where lies the strength of our temptations; for He was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. He is watching over you, trembling child of God. Are you tempted? He will deliver. Are you weak? He will strengthen. Are you ignorant? He will enlighten. Are you wounded? He will heal. The Lord "telleth the number of the stars;" and yet "He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Psalm 147:4, 3. "Come unto Me," is His invitation. Whatever your anxieties and trials, spread out your case before the Lord. Your spirit will be braced for endurance. The way will be opened for you to disentangle yourself from embarrassment and difficulty. The weaker and more helpless you know yourself to be, the stronger will you become in His strength. The heavier your burdens, the more blessed the rest in casting them upon the Burden Bearer."

This passage gives me such strength and courage and love for my Saviour. He will do all these things and more if we just "come to Him" in full surrender.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 03:01:21 AM »
“If we were left to follow our own inclinations, to go just where our will would lead us, we should fall into Satan's ranks and become possessors of his attributes. Therefore God confines us to His will, which is high, and noble, and elevating. He desires that we shall patiently and wisely take up the duties of service.” {The Desire of Ages, page 329, paragraph 3}

Amazing! Our own inclinations are not safe to follow—we need a living connection with Christ in whose heart is God’s law! I choose by the faith of Jesus to walk in His will today motivated by His infinite loveliness of character!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 02:01:18 AM »
There are two great loves in the world at war--the love of self, and the love of Christ. The love of self brings unrest and death; the love of Christ means death to the fallen nature (even crucifixion) and eternal life (resurrection by the divine nature at work in the human agent), which brings rest and peace to the heart and mind renewed by the grace of Christ. The evidence of conversion--that the love of Christ has uprooted the love of self--is evidenced as all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are in the life as the human worker gladly wears the yoke of Christ--His law of self-sacrificing love. Apart from Christ, this experience is unattainable. In Christ, there is no limit to the depth and fruitfulness of such a divine union and communion with Him! As the Lord woke me this morning to hunger and thirst for Christ, I pray that His vital current of life, even the baptism of the Holy Spirit, will come upon me and His church, as we are in such great need of a deeper and deeper draft of the Holy Spirit whose office is to exalt the exceedingly high loveliness of Christ!

"It is the love of self that brings unrest. When we are born from above, the same mind will be in us that was in Jesus, the mind that led Him to humble Himself that we might be saved. Then we shall not be seeking the highest place. We shall desire to sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn of Him. We shall understand that the value of our work does not consist in making a show and noise in the world, and in being active and zealous in our own strength. The value of our work is in proportion to the impartation of the Holy Spirit. Trust in God brings holier qualities of mind, so that in patience we may possess our souls." {The Desire of Ages, page 330, paragraph 4}

As I read this morning more from the 1888 Materials, I was so blessed by this thought in relation to value of our work and our souls as well:

"We need a power to come upon us now and stir us up to diligence and earnest faith. Then, baptized with the Holy Spirit, we shall have Christ formed within, the hope of glory. Then we will exhibit Christ as the divine object of our faith and our love. We will talk of Christ, we will pray to Christ and about Christ. We will praise His holy name. We will present before the people His miracles, His self-denial, His self-sacrifice, His sufferings, and His crucifixion, His resurrection and triumphant ascension. These are the inspiring themes of the gospel, to awaken love and intense fervor in every heart. Here are the treasures of wisdom and knowledge, a fountain inexhaustible. The more you seek of this experience, the greater will be the value of your life." {1888 432.3}

The concept of "value" is striking. Our value as a soul increases the more we seek for the experience we are counseled to have in beholding the loveliness of Jesus. This makes sense, because the value of our work is an outflow of the value of our souls. We are all purchased with the blood of Christ, but the extent to which we allow that blood to pulse through our very experience, the time that we choose to spend at the feet of Jesus--it is this that actually changes us into His image (and Christ has infinite value!!). We, of ourselves, are wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked, and can do no good thing (for the flesh is all of those things). But when by a living faith surrender we look upon Jesus and live, the character is being formed, and it is character that is of value to God. The character Christ offers us is all of the remedies to the Laodicean church: gold tried in the fire (His faith working by His selfless love), white raiment (His righteousness), and eyesalve (the anointing of the Holy Spirit to see our continual need of Jesus). Our Heavenly Father sent Jesus at the risk of failure and eternal loss to be born as our brother, to live a perfect life by faith, and to die so He could fulfill His eternal purpose of having a race of redeemed saints, fulfilling His purpose given in Isaiah 13:12: "I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir." Will you not join me in obtaining, by the righteousness (right-doing) of Christ this experience even now? What could be more important at this late hour of earth's history? Come, let us learn of Christ!! 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 08:02:31 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean.  What a blessing to be able to be at peace! That peace if found in the truth. Christ is the truth.

In the heart of Christ, where reigned perfect harmony with God, there was perfect peace. He was never elated by applause, nor dejected by censure or disappointment. Amid the greatest opposition and the most cruel treatment, He was still of good courage. But many who profess to be His followers have an anxious, troubled heart, because they are afraid to trust themselves with God. They do not make a complete surrender to Him; for they shrink from the consequences that such a surrender may involve. Unless they do make this surrender, they cannot find peace.   

Amen. In order to obtain the peace that passeth understanding we need to give all to Christ. We must make a complete surrender unto Christ. 99% won't do it. When we love Jesus with the whole heart, then nothing will disturb our peace. No matter what happens in the world, in the church, or in our lives nothing can make us sad. We shall have perfect peace if our minds are focused on Christ.

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
Tenderly He bade the toiling people, "Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

The older I get the more I appreciate these words and know them to be true. We can search the world over for that which satisfies the hunger of our souls but unless we take the yoke of Jesus and accept His invitation our search will be endless, exhausting and disappointing. If we take Jesus at His word and believe what He says; we will experience peace like no other.

Beacon

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 06:16:30 AM »
"The Elder Brother of our race, Jesus, is by the eternal throne. He looks upon every soul who is turning his face toward Him as the Saviour. He knows by experience what are the weaknesses of humanity, what are our wants, and where lies the strength of our temptations; for He was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. He is watching over you, trembling child of God. Are you tempted? He will deliver. Are you weak? He will strengthen. Are you ignorant? He will enlighten. Are you wounded? He will heal. The Lord "telleth the number of the stars;" and yet "He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Psalm 147:4, 3. "Come unto Me," is His invitation. Whatever your anxieties and trials, spread out your case before the Lord. Your spirit will be braced for endurance. The way will be opened for you to disentangle yourself from embarrassment and difficulty."

What a wonderful re-assurance we have been given. In our world filled with greed, disaster, spiritual conflicts and many other uncertainties, we have the tremendous advantage of being able to walk with confidence that our Saviour is watching over us and if we will come to Him with humility and " ASK" He will take our hand and guide us through the maze of our earthly journey both Spiritually and Physically.   He does not guarantee a "smooth flight" as demonstrated by His own earthly journey but He does guarantee a " safe " landing on the heavenly shore. So what ever the challenge of today is for you, put your hand into His Hand and go forth with confidence and peace in your heart
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 06:20:21 AM »
Amen Beacon. It all sounds too good to be true. I am so thankfully that we can trust God to be true to His word. We don't have to blindly accept it. We have been given more than enough evidence to know He does not lie. One huge demonstration of this is what he does in the life of one who comes to Him in full surrender. It is a supernatural change of heart. I don't know how it happens I just know it does. And ALL can know and experience this if they just answer the invitation to "come" and follow Him. We are so blessed.

"As through Jesus we enter into rest, heaven begins here. We respond to His invitation, Come, learn of Me, and in thus coming we begin the life eternal. Heaven is a ceaseless approaching to God through Christ. The longer we are in the heaven of bliss, the more and still more of glory will be opened to us; and the more we know of God, the more intense will be our happiness. As we walk with Jesus in this life, we may be filled with His love, satisfied with His presence. All that human nature can bear, we may receive here. But what is this compared with the hereafter?There "are they before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple: and He that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them. They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes." Revelation 7:15-17."

This will be my meditation through this day. I love the picture of peace and promise that this quote portrays.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 07:16:01 AM »
Amen, Beacon and Dorine! The promises of Jesus to us are so miraculous that the only way to do them justice is to come with the whole heart to Christ and let Him work them out in our experience as we cooperate with His grace that changes sinners into saints. I love how Jesus offers us His rest, His Spirit, in place of our own ways. What a precious experience we may have moment-by-moment when we realize what He values: to deeply fill us with His Spirit so His character, glory, and love are revealed to our world and the onlooking universe!

"It is the love of self that brings unrest. When we are born from above, the same mind will be in us that was in Jesus, the mind that led Him to humble Himself that we might be saved. Then we shall not be seeking the highest place. We shall desire to sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn of Him. We shall understand that the value of our work does not consist in making a show and noise in the world, and in being active and zealous in our own strength. The value of our work is in proportion to the impartation of the Holy Spirit. Trust in God brings holier qualities of mind, so that in patience we may possess our souls." {The Desire of Ages, page 330, paragraph 4}

Just as I am reading this again, I am astounded by the promise that "in patience we may possess our souls." What does this really imply? Well, to begin with, if we are still manifesting selfishness and sin in our lives, it really stems to the fact that these are areas that are "out of control." Maybe you have heard someone say, "my temper got the best of me" because they were not under Jesus' loving control at that moment. (The fallen nature, the flesh, is such a tyrannical master!!) Thus, Christian character is the conquest of self--the taking back through Christ's blood and the word of our testimony of what has been ruined and degraded by sin, and taking back those areas of character to be in harmony with heaven's pattern of life. What a precious realization that it is character--the formation of a new character--that is the purpose of the Christian experience, and that this life lived in Christ will inspire others to want to come and learn of Christ, too!!   

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2019, 05:47:59 AM »
"As through Jesus we enter into rest, heaven begins here. We respond to His invitation, Come, learn of Me, and in thus coming we begin the life eternal. Heaven is a ceaseless approaching to God through Christ. The longer we are in the heaven of bliss, the more and still more of glory will be opened to us; and the more we know of God, the more intense will be our happiness. As we walk with Jesus in this life, we may be filled with His love, satisfied with His presence. All that human nature can bear, we may receive here. But what is this compared with the hereafter? There "are they before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple: and He that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them. They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes." Revelation 7:15-17."

I am often drawn to the last paragraph of a chapter and this one is no different. I read it and re-read it. It is loaded with deep truths that are essential to our spiritual health and happiness and eternal destination. Every sentence opens to us the glorious truths of what Jesus wants for us and longs to do for us if we will just accept His invitation.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2019, 06:58:50 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!  This is our privilege today. "The longer we are in the heaven of bliss, the more and still more of glory will be opened to us; and the more we know of God, the more intense will be our happiness. As we walk with Jesus in this life, we may be filled with His love, satisfied with His presence. All that human nature can bear, we may receive here."

Maybe you have heard someone say, "my temper got the best of me" because they were not under Jesus' loving control at that moment. (The fallen nature, the flesh, is such a tyrannical master!!) Thus, Christian character is the conquest of self--the taking back through Christ's blood and the word of our testimony of what has been ruined and degraded by sin, and taking back those areas of character to be in harmony with heaven's pattern of life. What a precious realization that it is character--the formation of a new character--that is the purpose of the Christian experience, and that this life lived in Christ will inspire others to want to come and learn of Christ, too!!

Amen Pastor Sean!  There is indeed a difference between him who loves God supremely and he who does not. It is only when we make a full heart surrender to the One who loves us that we can keep the flesh under control. It is Christ within that empowers the mind to control the passions of the flesh. If we cannot do what we know is right, then we need to love Jesus more than we do. There are many who follow the ways of the world who do not understand they may have peace that passes understanding if they will learn of God.

There are many whose hearts are aching under a load of care because they seek to reach the world's standard. They have chosen its service, accepted its perplexities, adopted its customs. Thus their character is marred, and their life made a weariness. In order to gratify ambition and worldly desires, they wound the conscience, and bring upon themselves an additional burden of remorse. The continual worry is wearing out the life forces. Our Lord desires them to lay aside this yoke of bondage. He invites them to accept His yoke; He says, "My yoke is easy, and My burden is light." He bids them seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and His promise is that all things needful to them for this life shall be added. Worry is blind, and cannot discern the future; but Jesus sees the end from the beginning. In every difficulty He has His way prepared to bring relief. Our heavenly Father has a thousand ways to provide for us, of which we know nothing. Those who accept the one principle of making the service and honor of God supreme will find perplexities vanish, and a plain path before their feet. 

We miss Brother Beacon's post. Not much could keep him from sharing what Jesus has shown him. In this world we shall have many trials. And, they work for our good as we abide in Christ. So, whatever has kept him from his daily post, we pray that God will grant him grace to overcome.

Beacon

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2019, 07:12:48 AM »
"Those who take Christ at His word, and surrender their souls to His keeping, their lives to His ordering, will find peace and quietude. Nothing of the world can make them sad when Jesus makes them glad by His presence. In perfect acquiescence there is perfect rest. The Lord says, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee." Isaiah 26:3.

Someone has said the that the B I B L E - Stands for "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.  One of my favorite texts from the manual is Isaiah 40:31  "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

"Our lives may seem a tangle; but as we commit ourselves to the wise Master Worker, He will bring out the pattern of life and character that will be to His own glory. And that character which expresses the glory--character--of Christ will be received into the Paradise of God. A renovated race shall walk with Him in white, for they are worthy."

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2019, 07:39:34 AM »
Thanks soo much Richard for your prayerful concern.  Just as I was getting over a previous incident which left me with very sore ribs both Dorine and I came down with a severe chest cold. If you could have heard us coughing you probably would have thought we might have pneumonia. Last night the Lord answered all those praying for us and we both had a better nights sleep and I didn't wake up till late this morning....We are so grateful for your concern...It's wonderful to belong to the Family of God...and know that others are praying for us.  God bless you and yours and have a wonderful day in the SON...In His Love, Eric

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2019, 08:11:51 AM »
Amen, Richard, Dorine, and Beacon! I pray you both feel better, Dorine and Beacon! We serve a Great Physician who has never lost a case!

We have a great reason to rejoice in Jesus because He is able to prepare us for heaven and to help us experience in life His pattern, His peace, and His grace. What is the price? We are to learn of Him--so this will cost us time, and a willingness to surrender to all that Christ reveals. But the desire to surrender comes from beholding His grace. If we are not finding joy and victory, then we need a deeper experience in His grace, a clearer revelation of His power to save us, and willingness of heart to cooperate with Him. We cannot save ourselves, but we are to cooperate with what His grace invites us to experience. By grace we are saved through faith. Christ moves upon our hearts, and then as we surrender and cooperate with Him at each moment, we find all of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives without one missing! The fruits become richer and more abundant as Christ prunes and molds our lives after His image, and we are able to overcome every defect in our characters through His grace!!

"In the heart of Christ, where reigned perfect harmony with God, there was perfect peace. He was never elated by applause, nor dejected by censure or disappointment. Amid the greatest opposition and the most cruel treatment, He was still of good courage. But many who profess to be His followers have an anxious, troubled heart, because they are afraid to trust themselves with God. They do not make a complete surrender to Him; for they shrink from the consequences that such a surrender may involve. Unless they do make this surrender, they cannot find peace." {The Desire of Ages, page 330, paragraph 3}

We can let Christ's heart be united to our hearts, and receiving a new heart and a new mind, we not only desire to continue to completely surrender, but our lives become living invitations to others so that they also will taste and see the goodness of the Lord by an actual experience!