Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--35--Peace Be Still  (Read 14321 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--35--Peace Be Still
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2019, 07:12:42 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine! Thank you, Brother Beacon, for sharing your testimony of what it was like to be flying, experience a wave of fear, and then find deliverance through prayer and trusting in Jesus!

As in imagination I grasp the scene afresh in which Jesus stilled the storm by His word of faith in the Father's care, "Peace, be still," I am reminded that His word is a more powerful agency in stilling the storms of my life and character than any amount of my own trying to find peace apart from Him. Christ "is our peace" (Ephesians 2:14). In Him not only does my soul find rest, but I need not be in fear about any circumstance of my life, because Christ has promised to work in me both to will and to do of His good pleasure as I surrender (and keep surrendering) the whole heart to Him. Christ's disciples experience of fear was a spiritual "check up" that revealed to them how much more healing Christ needed to do in them (emotionally, spiritually, and in terms of their character development). And again when the disciples were terrified of the demoniacs, their character was seen for what it was, and their continual need of His grace was revealed to them. I am thankful that God leads us through situations in life that allow us to see the areas of our character where we are tempted not to trust Him, so that we can replace those experiences of our past with the words of His truth, and the truth sets us free! Rather than approaching what would be seemingly fearful situations with fear, when our inner being is abiding in Christ and healed by His divine grace, we can awake in the midst of storms and trials in the peace that passes understanding, knowing that if God has led us to that point in our experience, He has a way prepared to bring relief! As we unlearn fear and self-dependence, trusting Jesus become the habituation orientation of our thoughts, feelings, and actions so that in our day-to-day lives we are revealing the power of His grace in some of the greatest trials--thus preparing us for the greater trials ahead as from glory to glory, from character to character, we are becoming more like Jesus!!

"As Jesus rested by faith in the Father's care, so we are to rest in the care of our Saviour. If the disciples had trusted in Him, they would have been kept in peace. Their fear in the time of danger revealed their unbelief. In their efforts to save themselves, they forgot Jesus; and it was only when, in despair of self-dependence, they turned to Him that He could give them help." {The Desire of Ages, page 336, paragraph 2}

The more I see my need of God's grace to keep me from fear, unbelief, doubt, and any of the other "waves" of the fallen nature, I am reminded of how peaceful, happy, and obedient my experience becomes through abiding in Jesus (with a new heart and mind filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit so not one of those traits is missing). As I keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, who knows how in every emergency to bring relief in the way that will be to His glory and my eternal joy, I am given day by day a fresh, living testimony to share with others as God opens the way!   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean.

Here was a work for them to do,--to go to a heathen home, and tell of the blessing they had received from Jesus. It was hard for them to be separated from the Saviour. Great difficulties were sure to beset them in association with their heathen countrymen. And their long isolation from society seemed to have disqualified them for the work He had indicated. But as soon as Jesus pointed out their duty they were ready to obey. Not only did they tell their own households and neighbors about Jesus, but they went throughout Decapolis, everywhere declaring His power to save, and describing how He had freed them from the demons. In doing this work they could receive a greater blessing than if, merely for benefit to themselves, they had remained in His presence. It is in working to spread the good news of salvation that we are brought near to the Saviour.   

It would be well to share on Sabbath a testimony of what God has done for us during the week.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »
"How often the disciples' experience is ours! When the tempests of temptation gather, and the fierce lightnings flash, and the waves sweep over us, we battle with the storm alone, forgetting that there is One who can help us. We trust to our own strength till our hope is lost, and we are ready to perish. Then we remember Jesus, and if we call upon Him to save us, we shall not cry in vain. Though He sorrowfully reproves our unbelief and self-confidence, He never fails to give us the help we need. Whether on the land or on the sea, if we have the Saviour in our hearts, there is no need of fear. Living faith in the Redeemer will smooth the sea of life, and will deliver us from danger in the way that He knows to be best.

It is not AWESOME!! - When we call upon Jesus for help we never get a " busy " signal :-)  Never do we hear " I'm sorry all of our Angelic Service Agents are busy helping other callers - Please stay on the line and your call will be answered in the order it was received. " The Bible says in Psalm 91:15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 08:02:25 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon! Perfect love casteth out all fear!

Many in the church like to teach, but are not prepared to teach unless they have been converted and are filled with the Spirit. What can all do who have been blessed by Jesus even if unconverted?

If we have been following Jesus step by step, we shall have something right to the point to tell concerning the way in which He has led us. We can tell how we have tested His promise, and found the promise true. We can bear witness to what we have known of the grace of Christ. This is the witness for which our Lord calls, and for want of which the world is perishing. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »
Amen, Brothers Beacon and Richard!!

The life and ministry of Jesus reveals marked contrasts--and we see the contrast of God's character in the merciful dealing of Jesus with the demoniacs as in contrast to the way Satan was seeking to have them deluded, lost and trapped in sin. Oh, what a wonderful Savior we have in Jesus!! Only in Christ's presence can we truly find happiness and protection from Satan's power!

"The encounter with the demoniacs of Gergesa had a lesson for the disciples. It showed the depths of degradation to which Satan is seeking to drag the whole human race, and the mission of Christ to set men free from his power. Those wretched beings, dwelling in the place of graves, possessed by demons, in bondage to uncontrolled passions and loathsome lusts, represent what humanity would become if given up to satanic jurisdiction. Satan's influence is constantly exerted upon men to distract the senses, control the mind for evil, and incite to violence and crime. He weakens the body, darkens the intellect, and debases the soul. Whenever men reject the Saviour's invitation, they are yielding themselves to Satan. Multitudes in every department in life, in the home, in business, and even in the church, are doing this today. It is because of this that violence and crime have overspread the earth, and moral darkness, like the pall of death, enshrouds the habitations of men. Through his specious temptations Satan leads men to worse and worse evils, till utter depravity and ruin are the result. The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus. Before men and angels Satan has been revealed as man's enemy and destroyer; Christ, as man's friend and deliverer. His Spirit will develop in man all that will ennoble the character and dignify the nature. It will build man up for the glory of God in body and soul and spirit. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7. He has called us 'to the obtaining of the glory'--character--'of our Lord Jesus Christ;' has called us to be 'conformed to the image of His Son.' 2 Thessalonians 2:14; Romans 8:29." {The Desire of Ages, page 341, paragraph 1}

God longs for us to be willing to let Him manifest His character in and through us--all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing flowing from a renewed heart and mind as we gladly obey the law of God to the extent that it has been revealed to us! This character is a gift which we receive from Jesus and is wrought out in our day-to-day lives as we learn of Him and walk where He leads us in continual surrender to Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »
"The restored demoniacs desired the company of their deliverer. In His presence they felt secure from the demons that had tormented their lives and wasted their manhood. As Jesus was about to enter the boat, they kept close to His side, knelt at His feet, and begged Him to keep them near Him, where they might ever listen to His words. But Jesus bade them go home and tell what great things the Lord had done for them."

Although they had only experienced a brief contact with Jesus, He appointed them to be His Ambassadors to their own countrymen. They were the 1st Missionaries appointed by Jesus. They were commissioned to share with the people of their area what Jesus had done for them. How he had forgiven and restored them. We may know all the prophecies and doctrines of God's Holy Word but unless we have a personal testimony to tell about HOW Jesus transformed our lives our witness will sound shallow and lacking to bring conviction to the heart and soul of those around us.

"Here was a work for them to do,--to go to a heathen home, and tell of the blessing they had received from Jesus. It was hard for them to be separated from the Saviour. Great difficulties were sure to beset them in association with their heathen countrymen. And their long isolation from society seemed to have disqualified them for the work He had indicated. But as soon as Jesus pointed out their duty they were ready to obey. Not only did they tell their own households and neighbors about Jesus, but they went throughout Decapolis, everywhere declaring His power to save, and describing how He had freed them from the demons. In doing this work they could receive a greater blessing than if, merely for benefit to themselves, they had remained in His presence. It is in working to spread the good news of salvation that we are brought near to the Saviour." [/size]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2019, 09:45:16 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon, and this we shall do if we have a testimony of what Jesus has done for us. We cannot help but tell all we can find that Jesus is God and He is love!! What a God we serve!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2019, 03:48:29 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

When we are fully surrendered to Christ and rest in the Father's love and care, we need not be afraid in the different storms and trials of life. We can actually see them as invitations to draw closer to Jesus and see how He will deliver us in the way that He knows is best!

"As Jesus rested by faith in the Father's care, so we are to rest in the care of our Saviour. If the disciples had trusted in Him, they would have been kept in peace. Their fear in the time of danger revealed their unbelief. In their efforts to save themselves, they forgot Jesus; and it was only when, in despair of self-dependence, they turned to Him that He could give them help." {The Desire of Ages, page 336, paragraph 2}

We need Jesus to save us, and He has a thousand ways to provide for us of which we know nothing. What love, joy and peace comes to our hearts in full surrender to Him! 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2019, 10:10:58 PM »
Fear in time of danger reveals unbelief! And, there is no greater sin than unbelief.

How often the disciples' experience is ours! When the tempests of temptation gather, and the fierce lightnings flash, and the waves sweep over us, we battle with the storm alone, forgetting that there is One who can help us. We trust to our own strength till our hope is lost, and we are ready to perish. Then we remember Jesus, and if we call upon Him to save us, we shall not cry in vain. Though He sorrowfully reproves our unbelief and self-confidence, He never fails to give us the help we need. Whether on the land or on the sea, if we have the Saviour in our hearts, there is no need of fear. Living faith in the Redeemer will smooth the sea of life, and will deliver us from danger in the way that He knows to be best.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »
The more clearly we understand the way Satan will seek to hinder the union and communion of our minds and hearts with Christ, the closely we may prayerfully guard the avenues of our souls so that we do not give way to the enemy's devices. I was really impressed this morning that one of the things the devil seeks to do is to "distract the senses"--and he may do that by trying to get us to focus on something that is not as important as the very mission God has for us. Let us learn to rely continually upon Jesus and pray for Him to keep us from the way of sin, distraction, or any other weight that would encumber us heavenward.

"The encounter with the demoniacs of Gergesa had a lesson for the disciples. It showed the depths of degradation to which Satan is seeking to drag the whole human race, and the mission of Christ to set men free from his power. Those wretched beings, dwelling in the place of graves, possessed by demons, in bondage to uncontrolled passions and loathsome lusts, represent what humanity would become if given up to satanic jurisdiction. Satan's influence is constantly exerted upon men to distract the senses, control the mind for evil, and incite to violence and crime. He weakens the body, darkens the intellect, and debases the soul. Whenever men reject the Saviour's invitation, they are yielding themselves to Satan. Multitudes in every department in life, in the home, in business, and even in the church, are doing this today. It is because of this that violence and crime have overspread the earth, and moral darkness, like the pall of death, enshrouds the habitations of men. Through his specious temptations Satan leads men to worse and worse evils, till utter depravity and ruin are the result. The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus. Before men and angels Satan has been revealed as man's enemy and destroyer; Christ, as man's friend and deliverer. His Spirit will develop in man all that will ennoble the character and dignify the nature. It will build man up for the glory of God in body and soul and spirit. 'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.' 2 Timothy 1:7. He has called us 'to the obtaining of the glory'--character--'of our Lord Jesus Christ;' has called us to be "conformed to the image of His Son.' 2 Thessalonians 2:14; Romans 8:29." {The Desire of Ages, page 341, paragraph 1}

As we behold the beauty and loveliness of Jesus' character, He stabilizes and heals our minds so that we do not become distracted from our heavenly mission. As soon as the demoniacs were healed, Jesus commissioned them to share with others what He had done for them. You and I may not feel we have an amazing testimony, but we can be so thankful that Jesus is willing and able to deliver each of us from sin's power and fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing, making us living witnesses for Him!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2020, 05:42:42 AM »
A lot is going on in our world right now, and many may have hearts that are filled with fear. Let us not allow anything to come between us and Jesus, even though the storms of life may be tumultuous. We may rest in His presence even as Christ did in His Father's presence.

In turning to Christ we find rest in our souls, for He imputes His atoning blood to cleanse us from our sins and imparts His righteous life to us by the infilling of the Holy Spirit, so that all of the fruits of the Spirit may be manifest in our lives without one missing. Let us remember that His perfect love casts out fear!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2020, 07:59:03 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. When one's 401k has been decimated, when the possibility of one's family being infected by touching a counter or having someone cough near you, there is good reason to fear if one is not abiding in Christ. Life is fragile as all who have watched their baby come into this world. But, we are not alone in the world. God cares about a sparrow that falls to the ground. How much more does He care about each of us. He has proved this by letting His innocent Son come into this dark spot in the universe a helpless baby subject to the weakness of humanity at the risk of failure and eternal loss! Such love!

Why then would the disciples fear their boat sinking when they had Jesus with them? As Pastor Sean has shared, their fear was because of "unbelief" and there is no greater sin than "unbelief." Where does this lead to? Look at the demoniacs who were full of unbelief. When reading about them this morning a thought came to mind. Is is possible to judge one's spiritual condition? Why this thought? Because there are false teachings in the churches that tell us we are not to judge another. It is a lie, even though it is truth. It is made to be a lie that we cannot judge if one is in Christ or not. The demoniac were not abiding in Christ. It is a simple truth. Yet, the lie prevails in Christian churches that we are not to judge another's spiritual condition. Then what means the verse "judge not that ye be no judged"? Matthew 7:1. 

Because we do not understand a verse, does not mean we are to neglect the truth of another verse. We must reconcile the differences with the help of the Holy Spirit and study of the Word. Jesus tells us that we can know the false prophet by their fruits. You cannot get good fruit off of a bad tree, nor bad fruit from a good tree. We may judge another's spiritual condition. But, we cannot know the end of the matter. We cannot know the desire of the heart. Look at the demoniacs and tell us that they cannot be saved. We cannot know the motives of another, nor can we know the end of the matter.

And souls that have been degraded into instruments of Satan are still through the power of Christ transformed into messengers of righteousness, and sent forth by the Son of God to tell what "great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee."

Dorine

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2020, 08:24:24 AM »
"Though the people of Gergesa had not received Jesus, He did not leave them to the darkness they had chosen. When they bade Him depart from them, they had not heard His words. They were ignorant of that which they were rejecting. Therefore He again sent the light to them, and by those to whom they would not refuse to listen."

Our Jesus is so very gracious. He knows the innermost thoughts and motives of our hearts and works for us accordingly. Humanity looks on the outward appearance and blindly judges accordingly. May we learn from this story to let the Holy Spirit lead in our lives so that we move by His direction and not ours.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2020, 05:16:26 AM »
     How often the disciples' experience is ours! When the tempests of temptation gather, and the fierce lightnings flash, and the waves sweep over us, we battle with the storm alone, forgetting that there is One who can help us. We trust to our own strength till our hope is lost, and we are ready to perish. Then we remember Jesus, and if we call upon Him to save us, we shall not cry in vain. Though He sorrowfully reproves our unbelief and self-confidence, He never fails to give us the help we need. Whether on the land or on the sea, if we have the Saviour in our hearts, there is no need of fear. Living faith in the Redeemer will smooth the sea of life, and will deliver us from danger in the way that He knows to be best.

How many times have I forgotten to ask Jesus for help when He is always right there waiting for me to seek His help. He is so very good to us even when we do not acknowledge His presence until we have battled alone much too long.

Beacon

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2020, 07:12:49 AM »
"Through his specious temptations Satan leads men to worse and worse evils, till utter depravity and ruin are the result. The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus. Before men and angels Satan has been revealed as man's enemy and destroyer; Christ, as man's friend and deliverer. His Spirit will develop in man all that will ennoble the character and dignify the nature. It will build man up for the glory of God in body and soul and spirit."

God Promises to equip us as it says in:

2nd Timothy 1:7. 'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.'

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Our "ONLY " Safeguard for Knowledge and Spiritual Empowerment is found in the Reading of The Word - We "MUST" make sure that NOTHING DISTRACTS us from spending time with Jesus in Prayer and in the Study of His WORD.

Dorine

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2020, 10:34:35 AM »
"Through his specious temptations Satan leads men to worse and worse evils, till utter depravity and ruin are the result. The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus."

Only as we know Christ can we know and understand the power of this truth.  The wicked think they are in control of their own thoughts and actions. They have never surrendered their hearts to God so they have nothing to compare their lives to. That's why it's so important to spend that precious hour each day learning about the life of Jesus. When we do this He will pull draw us to Him. If we do not resist we will become one with Him and we will experience true peace in Jesus.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2020, 04:15:07 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

The peace Christ offers us is that which He also experienced!

"When Jesus was awakened to meet the storm, He was in perfect peace. There was no trace of fear in word or look, for no fear was in His heart. But He rested not in the possession of almighty power. It was not as the "Master of earth and sea and sky" that He reposed in quiet. That power He had laid down, and He says, "I can of Mine own self do nothing." John 5:30. He trusted in the Father's might. It was in faith--faith in God's love and care--that Jesus rested, and the power of that word which stilled the storm was the power of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 336, paragraph 1}

Christ worked His miracles and had the character He did by reliance upon His Father with implicit confidence in God's word. May our intimacy with God be the "all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing" experience that is ever the result of true conversion!

Dorine

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2020, 05:31:56 AM »
However fierce the tempest, those who turn to Jesus with the cry, "Lord, save us," will find deliverance. His grace, that reconciles the soul to God, quiets the strife of human passion, and in His love the heart is at rest. "He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so He bringeth them unto their desired haven." Psalm 107:29, 30. "Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." "The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever." Romans 5:1; Isaiah 32:17.

I'm so thankful that Jesus is my judge because He is my very best friend too. He will not leave me to flounder in the depths of fear when by faith I have put all my trust in Him. In my humanity there have been many times when I have been frozen with fear. I can relate to the disciples because one of my great fears is deep water (especially in a storm) and the other is heights. I have to admit that to this day I do not choose to fly, swim, boat or get into any situation that involves heights. What a patient and kind God we serve. He knows the horrific experiences that caused those fears and gently works with us when faced with them. What peace comes to the soul when we take our eyes off of self and trust Jesus to bring calm to the situation. That's why this verse means so much to me. "He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so He bringeth them unto their desired haven." Psalm 107:29, 30.

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2020, 06:50:21 AM »
"How often the disciples' experience is ours! When the tempests of temptation gather, and the fierce lightnings flash, and the waves sweep over us, we battle with the storm alone, forgetting that there is One who can help us. We trust to our own strength till our hope is lost, and we are ready to perish. Then we remember Jesus, and if we call upon Him to save us, we shall not cry in vain."

"Though He sorrowfully reproves our unbelief and self-confidence, He never fails to give us the help we need. Whether on the land or on the sea, if we have the Saviour in our hearts, there is no need of fear.

"Living faith in the Redeemer will smooth the sea of life, and will deliver us from danger in the way that He knows to be best."

Let us remember at all times God's Wonderful Promise as found in Isaiah 26:3

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2020, 07:44:26 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!!

What a blessing that the two demoniacs Jesus healed were sent forth to share their testimony! As we are transformed by God's grace that can convert a rebellious sinner into a repentant child of God who has received a new heart and mind imbued with all of the fruits of the Spirit, we can gladly walk in the path He chooses for us--the path of obedience to the Ten Commandment law of love!

"And souls that have been degraded into instruments of Satan are still through the power of Christ transformed into messengers of righteousness, and sent forth by the Son of God to tell what 'great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 341, paragraph 2}   

God loves to hear YOUR STORY--and He loves individuality! We are as unique as the snowflakes, but each one of us is significant to God! Let Him lead you this day to be a blessing to everyone He guides you to connect with! May God bless you to be a blessing!!