Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--43--Barriers Broken Down  (Read 15873 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--43--Barriers Broken Down
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2023, 05:59:19 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!   There are multitudes in the world seeking the truth entrusted to us. Are we seeking them?

When He said, "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel," He stated the truth, and in His work for the Canaanite woman He was fulfilling His commission. This woman was one of the lost sheep that Israel should have rescued. It was their appointed work, the work which they had neglected, that Christ was doing.
     This act opened the minds of the disciples more fully to the labor that lay before them among the Gentiles. They saw a wide field of usefulness outside of Judea. They saw souls bearing sorrows unknown to those more highly favored. Among those whom they had been taught to despise were souls longing for help from the mighty Healer, hungering for the light of truth, which had been so abundantly given to the Jews.

As never before I am finding so very many that are truly wanting to know truth. And such joy to be able to share what God has given to us!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2023, 09:44:57 AM »

Amen Brother Beacon and Richard.

In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel.

This short paragraph, and in the center this short sentence which in a lot of ways sums up this chapter. Are we strong enough in faith to do as the women did, against all discouragement and odds refuse to doubt and trust completely in the Lord surrendering all to Him, we can also be saved. God wishes salvation for all. We make the choice if we want salvation or not. We are to share with all the knowledge God gives us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2023, 05:15:11 AM »
Amen to all my brothers! Praise God! We can CHOOSE to seek others, abiding in Jesus!

What God is doing in your life has an impact far beyond you. Let the Lord perform His good will in you.

“The Saviour’s visit to Phoenicia and the miracle there performed had a yet wider purpose. Not alone for the afflicted woman, nor even for His disciples and those who received their labors, was the work accomplished; but also ‘that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His name.’ John 20:31. The same agencies that barred men away from Christ eighteen hundred years ago are at work today. The spirit which built up the partition wall between Jew and Gentile is still active. Pride and prejudice have built strong walls of separation between different classes of men. Christ and His mission have been misrepresented, and multitudes feel that they are virtually shut away from the ministry of the gospel. But let them not feel that they are shut away from Christ. There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate.” {The Desire of Ages, page 403, paragraph 1}

You can get through! God has made a way for you to access His infinite love and power so you can be saved in His will and way! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing come into the life that has broken through the barriers and is truly converted, surrendered, abiding in Christ.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2023, 09:38:53 PM »
Some think that a certain race or religion makes it impossible for God to save them. But, not so. All are to be seen as opportunities to share the love  of God hopes of saving the lost.

Jesus longed to unfold the deep mysteries of the truth which had been hid for ages, that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs with the Jews, and "partakers of His promise in Christ by the gospel." Ephesians 3:6. This truth the disciples were slow to learn, and the divine Teacher gave them lesson upon lesson. In rewarding the faith of the centurion at Capernaum, and preaching the gospel to the inhabitants of Sychar, He had already given evidence that He did not share the intolerance of the Jews. But the Samaritans had some knowledge of God; and the centurion had shown kindness to Israel. Now Jesus brought the disciples in contact with a heathen, whom they regarded as having no reason above any of her people, to expect favor from Him. He would give an example of how such a one should be treated. The disciples had thought that He dispensed too freely the gifts of His grace. He would show that His love was not to be circumscribed to race or nation.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2023, 11:56:50 PM »
"In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile.

"Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love."

" It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him."

"The blessings of salvation are for every soul."

" Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel".

Lets make sure that JESUS is First & Foremost in our Daily Lives

========================
O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics & Music : :Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2023, 04:17:57 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

What is faith? Well, let's allow the woman of Phoenicia to illustrate faith!

"In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel." {The Desire of Ages, page 403, paragraph 2}

"Faith which worketh by love" (Galatians 5:6)
is a decision to surrender to God's word and act upon it because we discern He loves us, and the reason the woman's daughter was healed had to do with her earnest faith and perseverance. We need to go forward against all discouragements and obstacles that seem to get in the way of exercising faith, humbly act upon what God says as we realize His word has the creative power of God to produce in us His purposes, and walk in His will daily. When we live by faith on the Son of God, the heart is made pure (Ezekiel 36:26, Psalm 51:10) and renewed with all of the fruits of the Spirit in the life without one missing (Galatians 5:22-23), keeping the works of the flesh crucified with Christ (Galatians 2:20, 5:19-21) and enabling affectionate obedience to all of God's commandments (John 14:15, Exodus 20:1-17)! Faith is willing to yield fully to God and move forward in His mission, experiencing His healing in His timing, trusting He knows what is best (Proverbs 3:5-6)!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2024, 08:09:46 PM »
"The same agencies that barred men away from Christ eighteen hundred years ago are at work today."

" The spirit which built up the partition wall between Jew and Gentile is still active."

"Pride and prejudice have built strong walls of separation between different classes of men."

"Christ and His mission have been misrepresented, and multitudes feel that they are virtually shut away from the ministry of the gospel."

" But let them not feel that they are shut away from Christ."

"There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate.”

===========================
Come, every soul by sin oppressed,
  There’s mercy with the Lord;
And He will surely give you rest
  By trusting in His Word.
    Only trust Him! Only trust Him!
  Only trust Him now!
He will save you! He will save you!
    He will save you now!
For Jesus shed His precious blood
  Rich blessings to bestow;
Plunge now into the crimson flood
  That washeth white as snow.
Yes, Jesus is the Truth, the Way,
  That leads you into rest;
Believe in Him without delay,
  And you are fully blest.
Come then, and join the holy band,
  And on to glory go;
In Christ’s redemption take your stand,
  And all His goodness know.

Lyrics:John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)
Music:John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)

Dorine

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2024, 04:10:44 AM »
"Jesus had just departed from His field of labor because the scribes and Pharisees were seeking to take His life. They murmured and complained. They manifested unbelief and bitterness, and refused the salvation so freely offered them. Here Christ meets one of an unfortunate and despised race, that has not been favored with the light of God's word; yet she yields at once to the divine influence of Christ, and has implicit faith in His ability to grant the favor she asks. She begs for the crumbs that fall from the Master's table. If she may have the privilege of a dog, she is willing to be regarded as a dog. She has no national or religious prejudice or pride to influence her course, and she immediately acknowledges Jesus as the Redeemer, and as being able to do all that she asks of Him."

If this woman that was considered a heathen have such complete faith in the power of Jesus to heal her how much more should those who have been given the light of God's word believe that He loves them and has the power to heal every malady. Not only heal physically but spiritually and transform the life. Have we been so spoiled and presumed on the blessings of God that our faith has become weak when trials and temptations come our way. If so we need to keep this scene in our minds to lift us above unbelief and put our full trust in Jesus.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2024, 05:41:56 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

Christ's intentionality is a revelation of His kindness. We see this clearly in how He ministered to the Syrophenician woman whose daughter was demon possessed. He desires to impart that intentional kindness (along with all of the fruits of the Spirit, without one missing) into our lives and characters as His truly converted disciples.

"Christ knew this woman's situation. He knew that she was longing to see Him, and He placed Himself in her path. By ministering to her sorrow, He could give a living representation of the lesson He designed to teach. For this He had brought His disciples into this region. He desired them to see the ignorance existing in cities and villages close to the land of Israel. The people who had been given every opportunity to understand the truth were without a knowledge of the needs of those around them. No effort was made to help souls in darkness. The partition wall which Jewish pride had erected, shut even the disciples from sympathy with the heathen world. But these barriers were to be broken down." {The Desire of Ages, page 400, paragraph 1}

The barriers Jesus breaks down open ways for hearts to be reached for His kingdom. Are you willing to let Jesus use you to be a blessing to others, letting God lead you in paths of intentional kindness?

Philip T

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2024, 06:45:19 AM »
This act opened the minds of the disciples more fully to the labor that lay before them among the Gentiles.[/b] They saw a wide field of usefulness outside of Judea. They saw souls bearing sorrows unknown to those more highly favored. Among those whom they had been taught to despise were souls longing for help from the mighty Healer, hungering for the light of truth, which had been so abundantly given to the Jews]

Jesus taught the disciples and they learned the need and God's will to reach all peoples.  They were being molded and taught by Jesus, the gospel was for all, not just the Jews. May we see and realize this lesson as well, and be willing to share God's word with everyone.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2024, 08:40:52 AM »
Amen Brother Philip. So it is in our day. There are so very many seeking the truth.

This act opened the minds of the disciples more fully to the labor that lay before them among the Gentiles. They saw a wide field of usefulness outside of Judea. They saw souls bearing sorrows unknown to those more highly favored. Among those whom they had been taught to despise were souls longing for help from the mighty Healer, hungering for the light of truth, which had been so abundantly given to the Jews.

Among those religion who murdered the Son of God are many who are seeking truth. There will be a mighty work don in our day among the Jews.

Beacon

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2024, 08:10:26 PM »
"Jesus longed to unfold the deep mysteries of the truth which had been hid for ages, that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs with the Jews, and "partakers of His promise in Christ by the gospel."

"This truth the disciples were slow to learn, and the divine Teacher gave them lesson upon lesson."

"In rewarding the faith of the centurion at Capernaum, and preaching the gospel to the inhabitants of Sychar, He had already given evidence that He did not share the intolerance of the Jews."

"Now Jesus brought the disciples in contact with a heathen, whom they regarded as having no reason above any of her people, to expect favor from Him.
"

"He would give an example of how such a one should be treated."

"He would show that His love was not to be circumscribed to race or nation."

Hopefully "OUR" Hearts will be open to all whom we come in contact with! Remember Jesus came to seek and to save and that His invitation is open to "ALL". Even the thief on the cross at Calvary was accepted by Jesus during his last hour!!  Come without delay because we never know when our life may be snuffed out!!

======================

I’ve wandered far away from God,
  Now I’m coming home;
The paths of sin too long I’ve trod,
  Lord, I’m coming home.
    Coming home, coming home,
  Nevermore to roam;
Open wide Thine arms of love;
    Lord, I’m coming home.
I’ve wasted many precious years,
  Now I’m coming home;
I now repent with bitter tears,
  Lord, I’m coming home.
I’m tired of sin and straying, Lord,
  Now I’m coming home;
I’ll trust Thy love, believe Thy word;
  Lord, I’m coming home.
My soul is sick, my heart is sore,
  Now I’m coming home;
My strength renew, my hope restore:
  Lord, I’m coming home.
My only hope, my only plea,
  Now I’m coming home;
That Jesus died, and died for me;
  Lord, I’m coming home.
I need His cleansing blood, I know,
  Now I’m coming home;
O wash me whiter than the snow;
  Lord, I’m coming home.

Lyrics:William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)
Music:William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2024, 05:12:13 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  If we love the Lord our God with the whole heart, then we will want to help all who are in need, even those who are possessed with a devil.

"Behold, a Canaanitish woman came out from those borders, and cried, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, Thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil." Matthew 15:22, R. V. The people of this district were of the old Canaanite race. They were idolaters, and were despised and hated by the Jews. To this class belonged the woman who now came to Jesus. She was a heathen, and was therefore excluded from the advantages which the Jews daily enjoyed......If she may have the privilege of a dog, she is willing to be regarded as a dog. She has no national or religious prejudice or pride to influence her course, and she immediately acknowledges Jesus as the Redeemer, and as being able to do all that she asks of Him.
     The Saviour is satisfied. He has tested her faith in Him. By His dealings with her, He has shown that she who has been regarded as an outcast from Israel is no longer an alien, but a child in God's household. As a child it is her privilege to share in the Father's gifts. Christ now grants her request, and finishes the lesson to the disciples. Turning to her with a look of pity and love, He says, "O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt." From that hour her daughter became whole. The demon troubled her no more. The woman departed, acknowledging her Saviour, and happy in the granting of her prayer. 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2024, 06:04:20 AM »
Good morning old friends. Its such an encouragement to see that discussing the life of Christ is still a priority for those. Personally I'm a few chapters ahead of this discussion but here is something that touched me the las time I read this chapter.

Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel.

The opportunities to meet up with discouragement and doubt will only increase as time marches on. We must like the Syrophoenician woman learn to press beyond and reach our hand out to Christ. He won't turn us away!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2024, 06:30:21 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and Brother Jim!! Praise the Lord, Jim, that you came to share in the joy of what matters most--beholding and sharing Jesus who saves to the uttermost!!

Where God leads you, there is always a purpose. So it was for Jesus. And the purpose in the immediate instance often has repercussions for blessing far beyond what can be immediately perceived.

"The Saviour's visit to Phoenicia and the miracle there performed had a yet wider purpose. Not alone for the afflicted woman, nor even for His disciples and those who received their labors, was the work accomplished; but also 'that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His name.' John 20:31. The same agencies that barred men away from Christ eighteen hundred years ago are at work today. The spirit which built up the partition wall between Jew and Gentile is still active. Pride and prejudice have built strong walls of separation between different classes of men. Christ and His mission have been misrepresented, and multitudes feel that they are virtually shut away from the ministry of the gospel. But let them not feel that they are shut away from Christ. There are no barriers which man or Satan can erect but that faith can penetrate." {The Desire of Ages, page 403, paragraph 1}

As God leads me to launch to Papua New Guinea to the animistic Ama tribe in the remote jungle, there may be precious souls battling with demons and spirits that need freedom. Jesus can free them! Oh, how I long to point them to the only hope of deliverance--a living union and communion with Christ in lives of total consecration to Him! But the testimonies God is going to bring forth will likely go far beyond that little village. God knows, and the greatest joy in life is being fully converted by a whole-heart surrender to Christ manifest in a willingness to obey God and do what His word says. Jesus is our great Savior and Example, and it is a blessing to abide in His life and grace whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing flow in and through us like a living current of hope, joy, and healing! Are you willing to go where the Lord wants you to go, do what He wants you to do, pray what He wants you to pray, and say what He wants you to say? If so, you are free indeed in the power of the gospel!

Dorine

« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2024, 07:23:10 AM »
"In faith the woman of Phoenicia flung herself against the barriers that had been piled up between Jew and Gentile. Against discouragement, regardless of appearances that might have led her to doubt, she trusted the Saviour's love. It is thus that Christ desires us to trust in Him. The blessings of salvation are for every soul. Nothing but his own choice can prevent any man from becoming a partaker of the promise in Christ by the gospel."

The world needs to hear that this amazing truth is for them also. How we talk, how we act, (even our silence), how we treat others all have a dramatic influence on others for good or for evil. If we are living in Jesus we will see our fellowman as Jesus sees them.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14