Author Topic: Homemade Dog Food  (Read 5695 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Homemade Dog Food
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
Does anyone have an excellent recipe for homemade dog food? I am looking for one which is brown rice based. Thank you!  :)
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Homemade Dog Food
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 07:34:53 PM »
While you are waiting for a homemade recipe, here is what is in my store bought dog food. Ground rice, soybean meal, pearled barley, canola oil, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, vitamins and minerals, garlic oil, onion extract, garlic powder, rosemary extract, citric acid, used as a preservative.

I feed the dogs raw carrots and raw broccoli daily. They like the raw veggies better than the dog food.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Kaniela

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:16:29 AM »
Wow Richard , your dogs eat better than most people I know  ;)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 04:26:47 AM »
Kaniela, I had a German Shepherd that we fed Dog Chow, she died at age 7 from cancer.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 07:44:34 AM »
Mimi, I'm curious as to why you were looking for a homemade dog food recipe? Were you trying to help a dog get over something or simply didn't wan to be handling dog food anymore? Or something else?

I'm not sure that I want to go down the road of making dog food every week but I am looking for a way to help my dog which has bladder stones. Everything I've read says that in order to dissovle the stones the dog's urine needs to be between 6 and 6.5 ph (more acidic). Some recommend a raw meat diet because meat will lower the ph but I'm not gonna be doing that in my kitchen any time soon. Others say apple cider vinegar or Vitamin C.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 08:22:18 AM »
Mimi, I'm curious as to why you were looking for a homemade dog food recipe?

I didn't like store-bought dog food ingredients and wanted to change. I still have not found a good home-made recipe so Rogue is getting Taste of the Wild or Blue Buffalo brands, for better or worse.

Jim, look at this page for your dog and urinary stones: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/November-2010/Dispelling-Myths-About-CaOx-Uroliths/
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 03:47:27 PM »

You may have heard of Din o Vite. They do a lot of advertising on the radio and claim to be the best dog food going with enzymes etc.. Most store bought dog and cat food tends to be junk, comparable to road kill sewage with a few good things mixed in.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »

I didn't like store-bought dog food ingredients and wanted to change. I still have not found a good home-made recipe so Rogue is getting Taste of the Wild or Blue Buffalo brands, for better or worse.

Jim, look at this page for your dog and urinary stones: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/November-2010/Dispelling-Myths-About-CaOx-Uroliths/

Have you tried Wysong?  Our customers love it, and say that their cats and dogs thrive on it.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »

Have you tried Wysong?  Our customers love it, and say that their cats and dogs thrive on it.

I have heard of people eating dog food.  ;D  Where is Wysong sold ? My cats might be interested.

carls365

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
I have heard of people eating dog food.  ;D  Where is Wysong sold ? My cats might be interested.

You have cats!? Your my man! I've lived with cats all my  life.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 02:36:11 AM »

I don't know where you can find it.  We've been selling it for years, but it must be available in many places.  It's not produced in Maine; that much I know.  Google it.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 06:29:55 AM »

Yes, we give away about two  litters of kittens every year when they are weaned. It is tough to give them away but we get the joy of their birth and 7-10 weeks of growth and antics. Giving them away allows the factory to continue. I have one begging food off of me right now as I am eating breakfast and typing. Multi tasking. This cat thinks she needs to eat whatever I eat. I always said I would never have a house cat but this one ends up in the house about half the time due to her job of being a kitten factory. She has had two litters of 5 each, 4 girl kittens  and 1 boy kitten. Could you imagine keeping all of those girl kittens to have kittens? Not.  The last batch was Skunky and Monkey, Mrs. Chums, Snappy, and Tiger Baby. We kept Tiger baby back as few weeks as the new owner was going to make them farm cats and not neuter them. We know what happens to young boy cats in the setting. They get beat up and run off. Tough life if they are not welcomed  at another farm place. We gave him to a couple who have made him a house cat. Went to visit him once. My wife said we should have gotten joint custody.  ;D I guess I'm getting soft in my old age.

colporteur

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 06:50:05 AM »
I took a google peak at the "Dinovite" for cats and dogs. It is not cheap however it is a supplement to be used with whatever food you are already feeding your pet. Therefore it goes a lot further as a supplement than as a complete food.  It sounds pretty good for store bought food/supplement but it ought to for over $10.00 a pound. I may give it a try for our felines as most likely our .50 per pound food we give them is lacking. They seem to be doing well with out current program however I supplement the dry food occasionally with cheap Walmart canned cat food that contains salmon etc..

carls365

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 08:11:33 AM »

Yes, we give away about two  litters of kittens every year when they are weaned. It is tough to give them away but we get the joy of their birth and 7-10 weeks of growth and antics...............

My mother used to be a kitty caretaker in the park for over 20 years in the 1980's. She would bring home the injured, ill, and the aged, and took them to the vet for treatment. There were many sad stories but some happy ones too. It was so fortunate there was a vet who volunteered services. The longest living from that 1980's group died at 24 years old in 2007.